The King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match Thread

Comments

• Dark GeeseDark Geese Joined: Posts: 12,439
    good thing no one plays kof or these arguments might actually matter. makes it easy to see why no one does

If what you said was true then no one should be playing SF4 either (or MVC2 since there is always drama/discussion), they should've quit when we had the Seth-Gouken debate. If someone is determined enough to play a game and really like it then something like this will not stop them.
    **The KOF Cup 2011: March 10-14th, CDJ, Mexico w/Hummer from JAPAN!**
    **Mexico vs. Japan Part III!!**
  • ShishiohShishioh Starbreaker Joined: Posts: 2,921
    good thing no one plays kof or these arguments might actually matter. makes it easy to see why no one does

So we shouldn't question things just because nobody else did it first? That's dumb.

I'd rather people find reasons to play the game than find reasons not to. If they like Geese and Goenitz, fine. Just make sure they are played on the OG version instead as they were just tacked on when Tougeki came out.

Frankly, I don't even see myself downloading the Tougeki version so it doesn't matter to me anyway.
    "Hitboxes have nothing at all to do with the way a fighting game plays. they are just a means to an end."-Random Discus user
    Written exactly like that.
  • blk_brothablk_brotha Veteran Gamer of FGs and RPGs Joined: Posts: 936
    bloggers bloggers, i love every minute of it.
    I make moves like chess... CHECKMATE!
  • Tech RomancerTech Romancer PSN: Tech_Romancer Joined: Posts: 5,200
    I'm pretty sure he was making an inside joke

From Deadly Rave Neo?

I'm afraid not. :nono:
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    "Problem with Marvel is when you are not mashing you are losing". - 9thPixel
  • Tha SoulstarTha Soulstar Time To Handle Business Son! LETS WORK! Joined: Posts: 659
    we need some KOF destiny battles soon Mercenary, I've been on a KOF hype lately
    Brotherhood Of Justice (We ain't scared of nobody)
    Mid-Tier Subscriber
    "Just stand back an watch me get loose"
    UM 98 and 2k2 this week??? It is...
  • Tha SoulstarTha Soulstar Time To Handle Business Son! LETS WORK! Joined: Posts: 659
    you know me. I'll play whatever
    Mid-Tier Subscriber
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge Poison To You Joined: Posts: 16,301
    you know me. I'll play whatever

You up for some 01 and 03?

STFU Tech.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."

STFU Tech.

2 odd KOF games that are really hurt and janky. i like 03, not bad, sexy robert garcia fighting stance pose activated.
  • krazykone123krazykone123 4D Joined: Posts: 2,847
    From Deadly Rave Neo?

I'm afraid not. :nono:

Whatever you say TR

STFU Tech.

I actually like 03.....didn't play much 01...so yea id play 03....haven't played in a while though
    Mid-Tier Subscriber
  • Dandy JDandy J now you face a super saiyan shaolin Joined: Posts: 2,790
    If what you said was true then no one should be playing SF4 either (or MVC2 since there is always drama/discussion), they should've quit when we had the Seth-Gouken debate.
    except ppl will play sf4 no matter what. kof doesnt have that luxury
    "The challenge is, how can we create a mechanic where it makes your mistakes not matter and turns the game into a clown show? All these solutions are great but they don't take into account what X-Factor is supposed to do, which is turn the game into a joke."- O. Seth Killian
  • Tech RomancerTech Romancer PSN: Tech_Romancer Joined: Posts: 5,200
    Whatever you say TR

I'm serious. He never knows when I'm kidding about this stuff.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    "Problem with Marvel is when you are not mashing you are losing". - 9thPixel
  • Siberianhusky89Siberianhusky89 Joined: Posts: 118

Man, the truth is harsh. Damned shame, no? I wish people could experience the awesome feeling of KOF2002UM. My theory is that they're too lazy to learn all the technical stuff cause in Street Fighter 4, you're given things that are much more basic. The basic core mechanics of the game are simple to learn, then if you want to learn anything else and get serious at the game, you continue onto that. Well, that and the fact that it's Street Fighter.

Anyhow, 2002UM is a great game. People might enjoy it more if more was spread out a bit cause this is one of the most solid KOF games I've played. For a game with so many characters, it's very balanced too which is very odd. I wish there were more tournaments in America for this game.

But to me, sorry if this may sound offensive, but America is just one country. I know some of you don't have the luxury of travel so you are stuck in frustration like I was 5 years ago, but the world is much much bigger than the USA ( I may be in Guatemala in April for Mexico vs. Guatemala). Travelling is the best thing for this because as I have stated before it enables you to put all this here into perspective, with people pretty much truthfully just using KOF and SNK games to pass the time for their games of choice that is the truth of the matter, like Anakron said, here in the USA KOF will play second fiddle. If you know that then why sit here and do nothing about it?

I choose not to do that, I travel thus when I come back here it doesn't really bother me like it use to because the situation is exactly opposite in Mexico. SF, Tekken everything else plays a second fiddle to KOF. But if someone has never seen that in person then how could they possibly understand what that is like? They would simply be frustrated here by the stuff they see as a SNK/KOF fan. I don't have to tolerate it, I can simply just hop across the border and see people that will play the games irregardless of what is going on.
    Man, the truth is harsh. Damned shame, no? I wish people could experience the awesome feeling of KOF2002UM. My theory is that they're too lazy to learn all the technical stuff cause in Street Fighter 4, you're given things that are much more basic. The basic core mechanics of the game are simple to learn, then if you want to learn anything else and get serious at the game, you continue onto that. Well, that and the fact that it's Street Fighter.

Anyhow, 2002UM is a great game. People might enjoy it more if more was spread out a bit cause this is one of the most solid KOF games I've played. For a game with so many characters, it's very balanced too which is very odd. I wish there were more tournaments in America for this game.

Some people are too lazy, as I said KOF is a second fiddle to SF, so most people playing them at tournaments are dabblers. Now don't get me wrong as I've said, dabblers have their place in tournaments and sure they fat up the bonus pot, but from here on out for me to go to a primarily dabbler oriented tournament here in the USA something has to be very very appealing for me I am just stating it up front right now.

50% of me knows its about the community going to these tournaments, but as I get older sorry but that's just NOT enough. The other 50% is that I need an abundance of competition, so if I am not guaranteed an abundance of competition I will more than likely forego these events here in the USA (Unless it's to show up for 13 when it hits some majors, and even then don't get your hopes up expecting me to fly all around the USA like 2005 for super low level play in 13).

Why should I waste my time with people that are:

1. Only gonna practice/play the games because I am showing up
    2. Are only gonna play it like one day before the tournament.

Do not insult me please, that would be like expecting Justin Wong to show up to a 5 maybe 10-20 man SF4 tournament with people who only play the game for fun.

What's in it for Justin? Will he have fun? Sure he may, but otherwise he's lost money, not gotten better, etc etc. That was okay in 2005-2009 for me, but not anymore....

If I win a tournament or rank high I wanna feel like I've accomplished something, I wanna feel like I had to go through fire and hell to earn it. If not to me it is an empty victory..not that satisfying in the long run....
  • Desmond DelaghettoDesmond Delaghetto Ghetto Strategies Joined: Posts: 622
    I think more people would play KOF if it wasn't so damn underground feeling here in USA. If it had more publicity, more advertising/marketing power, it definately make people want to pick it up. I've never EVER, EVER seen a television commercial for KOF (or any SNK game) in my life. But I guess this isn't a valid point if any countries outside of USA never had any kind of good marketing from SNK themselves.

I was going to blame the lack of 2002UM comp here because its a import title, but Melty Blood Actress Again (which is import too) probably has more compeition here and it hit EVO, so I dunno....
    http://dreamcancel.com/ | Practice everyday without neglect
    Well wanted to give you guys some MORE good news for All Versus 2010- Word from a bird is that OSMANI from Puebla is confirmed!! Now why is this good news? Kula is supposed to be coming, but besides the fact that Osmani plays the other KOFs and is supposedly super strong in 98UM (Better than MR. KOF YYSU said John you hear this Osmani is supposed to be in Juarez my friend it's on like Donkey Kong in 98/98UM!)

But...

The best part is:

We are gonna have the GGPO Live Match!!! What is this? Well I mean hell of course Osmani is coming for that 15,000 pesos for 2002 (1st place gets 50%), but he's also coming for..HUMMER.

I don't know if you all recall the Osmani vs. Blowback Doll matches and Hummer vs NUTS, so we are gonna get Osmani vs. Hummer LIVE in 2002 ft10 so you know that should be very entertaining!

-DG
  • GravelneedGravelneed God, Why does SFxT exist? - Luisa Ferre Joined: Posts: 974
    I think more people would play KOF if it wasn't so damn underground feeling here in USA. If it had more publicity, more advertising/marketing power, it definately make people want to pick it up. I've never EVER, EVER seen a television commercial for KOF (or any SNK game) in my life. But I guess this isn't a valid point if any countries outside of USA never had any kind of good marketing from SNK themselves.

I was going to blame the lack of 2002UM comp here because its a import title, but Melty Blood Actress Again (which is import too) probably has more compeition here and it hit EVO, so I dunno....

I feel ya man. I have never seen a commercial for KOF in the US either. I lived in NYC for most of my life. Capcom was still stuck on SFII versions, so I got bored of that after a while. Soon I learned of the hole in the wall places I went to in the early 90's that always have the latest SNK game. SS, AOF, KOF, FF, etc. It was great. I played those games all the time. I thought the rest of the country was on the same page as me. I thought SNK was as popular as Capcom. Then as I went on the internet more often and also was seeing what games were being played at the arcades I felt as if my games were being left behind. The US may not have been a great country to be an SNK/NeoGeo fan, but I don't regret it at all.
    ....but the Arcana Heart 2 stick smells like sweet bubblegum and crisp rainbows and early sunshine and happy smiles and fresh tulips and oohh- deadfrog
    Maximum Impact 1 had a tv commercial.
    "Hitboxes have nothing at all to do with the way a fighting game plays. they are just a means to an end."-Random Discus user
  • GravelneedGravelneed God, Why does SFxT exist? - Luisa Ferre Joined: Posts: 974
    Maximum Impact 1 had a tv commercial.

Yeah you're right. How could I forget that one? lol The one with paper cut-outs of Terry and Ryo I think.
    Man..of all the KOF games to have a commercial, it had to be that one. lol
    ....but the Arcana Heart 2 stick smells like sweet bubblegum and crisp rainbows and early sunshine and happy smiles and fresh tulips and oohh- deadfrog
    I don't know what you're talking about.....*continues to lift weights*
    i can relate with the relationships of those 2 fighting games KOF and SF well, you have to think of the popularity of the game 1st and foremost. SF since 90 and KOF since 94. if there was more NG MVS around where theres SF then players will have time to get good on both games but now you have Tekken in the way of that hehe. the reason why KOF don't have the luxury to quailfy for US tournies and major along with that is like comparing NFL and world cup soccer league, that's just my opinion.
    I will still play SF and KOF, I equally love Capcom and SNK games keep'n it retro-spec grade A baybee.
    hmmm..... what else we can blog about...? OH YEAH! will you guys think that KOF XIII will make it to next years EVO 2k11???

peace out cUDDY:cool:
  • Siberianhusky89Siberianhusky89 Joined: Posts: 118
    I don't know what you guys are talking about? The Maximum Impact series had one of the best announcers ever, so it deserves respect. Guys ever play Regulation A? Greatest piece of crap you'll ever hear. "RYO SAGAZAGAY!" "HAAAYEEEENERR!" "YOU'RE DONE!" Not to be mean, but there must be some kind of handicap law in Japan if this guy got the job of pronouncing Karate wrong. "MR. KAAAYRATAAAY!"
  • faiyezfaiyez Notorious Heretic Joined: Posts: 197
    Someone just compared himself to Justin Wong.
    Someone just compared himself to Justin Wong.

Yes what I do for the SNK scene here in the USA is comparable to what Justin does for the Capcom scene in the USA is it not? Plus I actually promote the games does Justin promote the Capcom games? Does Justin go around holding tournaments for Capcom games all the time? Does Justin try to set up international tournaments and put a lot of his own time and money as bonus pots to unite people?

Does Justin spend $2,000 plus trying to get the best talent from around the world in one particular tournament? (All Versus 2010)

I think you get my drift here, compare the position Justin is in Capcom games and the position I am in in SNK games is very very similar... Just like Justin in these games there are people even in the USA better than him or that can give him a challenge, he is not the best in EVERY DAMN GAME..but he is like the best overall Capcom player (meaning who would you put your money on most of the time in most of the Capcom games?)

No Justin just plays the games collects the money.

I go further than that going around holding tournaments for the games. Imagine if I just wanted to play the games for the money people!!!

So as I said someone even tournament sponsors have to tell me WHY it is important for me to show up to THEIR tournaments if it's just gonna be some rinky dink underground ring of maybe 2-3 people total of good level when I would rather spend my time and money playing the Cali players or the Mexican players. For me it's more about the competition, sure money is nice and great, but what good is it if you aren't happy making it? So for me I prefer to have a good, healthy amount of competition, and if I am not assured that then I will go where that competition is assured.

Plus wait,you are from Costa Rica, so how would you POSSIBLY have ANY idea what I am talking about????

I'm probably wasting my time trying to explain something about what happens in the USA to someone not even here. That's like explaining to people what it's like in Mexico where KOF is the main and SF takes 2nd fiddle, unless you see it in person it won't make a difference.
    you got a real good point there DG.

but nowadays money make the world go round you gotta have that currency, that gouda, that gwap, and that cheese.

i really hate that saying. i believe it's a gr8 balance between money and competition. that's why we travel and play and earn the respect of others, ya feel mae?

you got a real good point there DG.

but nowadays money make the world go round you gotta have that currency, that gouda, that gwap, and that cheese.

i really hate that saying. i believe it's a gr8 balance between money and competition. that's why we travel and play and earn the respect of others, ya feel mae?

Yeah I hear yah man I mean as I was telling Dojo Destroyer on the phone, hell when I go to Juarez, Mexico to LEVEL UP and do FREE tournaments do you all think I'm making any money?

HELL NO, but it's still worth it because of the competition (And the hot Mexican women hehehehee that's an Xtube issue right there hahahaha)
    Yeah I hear yah man I mean as I was telling Dojo Destroyer on the phone, hell when I go to Juarez, Mexico to LEVEL UP and do FREE tournaments do you all think I'm making any money?

HELL NO, but it's still worth it because of the competition (And the hot Mexican women hehehehee that's an Xtube issue right there hahahaha)

LMAO:rofl:

i feel ya on that note bring the fine spanish mamis down my way gonzo dat hoe LOL.
    Also FYI you need to change your sig- Team Esteban is now Angel, Leona, May Lee just giving you a heads up lol.

• CiberneticoCibernetico Joined: Posts: 307
    Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else feel that one of the factors KOF is not very popular here in states is because everytime a big name mag reviews the game, they bring up the fact that games like 2k2 and KOFXI have an "old" look to the graphics? I always see this as a problem from these people who review the games.

I sometimes wish those folks would understand that that is the art style the KOF games have always had. I mean hell, Capcom reused so many sprites for so many years and you've never heard one complain. But that's just their style. Guilty Gear has their own style as well. Practically every fighter has a different style compared to others.

But like I said, it just seems like the KOF games were always the ones that got the crap end of the stick in that department because these reviewers think it looks outdated.
  • VictormaruVictormaru Legendary Sannin Joined: Posts: 734
    The upcoming King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match release coming out for the Xbox Live Arcade, does anyone know if it'll be the "Tougeki Version"? I actually never knew that this version existed but apparently it's just a re-balanced version of the game. I just wanted to know because I'd rather just practice in the version that's coming out for the XBLA, despite how big the differences are.
    "Please don't disappoint me." - Orochimaru
  • AnakronAnakron Alpha Male Joined: Posts: 2,391
    Yes, it is the newest version of the game. No, the differences are not that big.
    #SNKPlaymore on rizon
    isn't it funny that capcom put a mechanic called focus into a game designed for people with ADD
    Alright, thanks. I figured the differences wouldn't have been that big anyway.
  • caliberclarkcaliberclark Joined: Posts: 115
    The new version still has all the boss characters right? Other than game tweaks it left the character count where it was right?
    Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else feel that one of the factors KOF is not very popular here in states is because everytime a big name mag reviews the game, they bring up the fact that games like 2k2 and KOFXI have an "old" look to the graphics? I always see this as a problem from these people who review the games.

I sometimes wish those folks would understand that that is the art style the KOF games have always had. I mean hell, Capcom reused so many sprites for so many years and you've never heard one complain. But that's just their style. Guilty Gear has their own style as well. Practically every fighter has a different style compared to others.

But like I said, it just seems like the KOF games were always the ones that got the crap end of the stick in that department because these reviewers think it looks outdated.

Well I am going to bash America on this and what I say is the truth it stems from a cultural issue..America is all about superficial shit, money, good looks, good cars, and doing what it takes to earn that, America is all about that stuff, taking the easy way out, America as a country is all about that so it reflects in general and it reflects in the games we like too, it's all about the flashy graphics, the big boobs, the chiseled musclebound men, the 3d graphics all that, that is what America is all about!!
    The upcoming King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match release coming out for the Xbox Live Arcade, does anyone know if it'll be the "Tougeki Version"? I actually never knew that this version existed but apparently it's just a re-balanced version of the game. I just wanted to know because I'd rather just practice in the version that's coming out for the XBLA, despite how big the differences are.

Don't have a clue. Anakron seems to know I dont follow XBLA really at all.

Caliber- Yes newest version retains bosses.
    That's what's killing me waiting paitently for the XBL release of UM 2k2 don't care which ver. it's like a AIDS test what's the results? Not positive *dry humor* LOL(nas ether verse).

rumor on the streets is that first they gonna release it in March, now June, this time for sure I'm hella counting on August off tha top. hopefully early and mid. I googled dat shit and all that shit hehe. online play has to be better than NGBC and the net code for that is really good i'd say. just keep keep'n on SNK:tup:.

• krazykone123krazykone123 4D Joined: Posts: 2,847
    Some KOF 2002UM Tougeki Qualifier videos

??? vs Kyabetsu/??? vs ???/??? vs ???
    ?KOF2002UM?????????????????????(9)

??? vs Kyabetsu/Dune vs ???

??? vs Dune

copy and paste the link here if you don't have a nico nico account
    Nicovideo Redirector
  • DeltaKyakuDeltaKyaku terribad Joined: Posts: 704
    They've already announced the arcade releases through the 18th, of which 2002UM is not one. This whole "Summer of Arcade" thing MS does kind of screws over anyone who doesn't make it in.

THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH | LIST OF TITLES | Xbox LIVE ARCADE
    Website claims it's Tougeki (arcade balance/PS2 features), by the way.
    The XBLA release is definitely going to use NeoGeo Battle Coliseum's netcode. Thank God. Games like KOF '98 UM, Garou: Mark of the Wolves and Samurai Shodown II are dead online compared to NGBC, lol. I wish SNK would update KOF '98 UM and replace the current netcode with NGBC's netcode to hold us over.

On a random note, I played 98' UM with a friend yesterday out of boredom. Although I do love the KOF series, I rarely ever get a chance to actually play any of the games with a real person, LOL. Anyway, I was using Yuri and noticed she had a number of great tools like a Hurricane Kick, an overhead Special Move and a Special Move similar to Terry's Burning Tackle. I thought of her as an overpowered Sakura, lol.

We then switched the game up to 2002 UM where I chose Yuri and realized that she was different because those three Special Moves were actually replaced with new (crappier) ones which I think made her less awesome. I was like, "WTF?! That's wack. Now I have to get used to this because once 2002 comes out for XBLA, no one's going to play '98". Sadly I never got to fully enjoy Yuri's greatness 'cause of '98's bad netcoding and lack of KOF players around here.
  • CiberneticoCibernetico Joined: Posts: 307
    I live in NY. If you want to, add me on Xbox to see if the KOF98 connection is not bad between us. Like you, I wish there were more people around here to play more KOF with. I think it would help me actually get better at the games even though I've been playing them for a good while now.