The Hajime no Ippo (HnI) thread - Gazelle Punch Her in the Gut!

Shafted!Shafted! Juris DoctorateJoined: Posts: 378
Okay, I searched for an HnI thread, the most I could come up with was a thread about the upcoming anime which was kinda a dead thread- if mods want to lock this, go for it.

Spoliers likely ahead, you've been warned...

Ok here goes:

First off, I'm pretty annoyed with the direction of the Miyata vs. Randy fight. This fight was soo hyped up for many chapters, we got to learn more about what has been driving Miyata these last few years, that Randy is not a simple heel character (thank god for that), but it seems like Randy has no chance in hell of beating Miyata.

I'm all in favor of Miyata winning, but this easily? It seems like Miyata has jumped a shitload of tiers and is now god tier. He gave Randy false hope last issue? Wtf...hes got some crazy fighting insight. He's about to jolt Randy, which to my knowledge isn't that one of the strongest punch in the HnI universe?

Maybe this fight can turn around, but as of now it annoys me because it seems like Morikawa has wasted our time just to showcase Miyata.
F--- it, hate all you want.

Comments

• D'Nyc3D'Nyc3 *Insert Star* Joined: Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sando smashu!!!!!
    Beastcoast INC '2015'
    -Latest Videos:
    youtube.com/user/Beastcoast

• arstalarstal Joined: Posts: 2,968
    I'd love to see a thread where we compare top US players to Ippo characters.

As for the current fight, I think Miyata's about to get what coming's to him soon.

Looking forwards to Itagaki/someone who isn't a punching bag and Mashiba's comeback fight. I think those are coming up soon.
    --- The folks who oppose progress in fighters are the Tea Partiers of the FGC.
  • Shafted!Shafted! Juris Doctorate Joined: Posts: 378
    I'd love to see a thread where we compare top US players to Ippo characters.

As for the current fight, I think Miyata's about to get what coming's to him soon.

Looking forwards to Itagaki/someone who isn't a punching bag and Mashiba's comeback fight. I think those are coming up soon.

The way I see it, in the last chapter randy decided to step things up, but we just learned in this chapter that it was miyata simply baiting him into thinking he had a chance. I'd love to see Miyata get whats coming to him, but I just don't know if Randy has some ace up his ass that he can pull out.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,893 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think the fight won't be so one-sided soon. Some of the characters have said as much. My prediction is this fight is going to go on for 7 rounds, with Miyata winning by KO.

I can't wait for the new season to start. :woot: I want 2K8 to hurry up and die. Ippo better come out on DVD/Blu Ray!

EDIT: HnI Chapter 826
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • SerpentSerpent Holy Phoenix Joined: Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    RBJ starts using "static" soon in the raws. Be patient and wait for the translations.
  • platinum_pinoyplatinum_pinoy Registered Nurse Joined: Posts: 1,408
    I hope Miyata gets fucked up. He deserves a beat down for his fucking attitude.
    You're crazy. Sep's a hella hater. That nigga buys calendars just to rip out February 14th. He won't even masturbate because they call it self-love. -Adam Warlock, Jan 16th, 2009
  • SousukeSousuke Chinese Electric Batman Joined: Posts: 781
    well, miyata got hit with a good right in the latest raw.
    風林火山

"the answer lies in the heart of battle!" ~Ryu
  • DarkGiygasDarkGiygas Joined: Posts: 1,362
    anyone know what chapter continues after the end of the anime?
    It's not a lie, if you believe it.

you will find your answer (scroll down) and all chapters here http://ippo-online.confusticated.com/
    風林火山

Chapter 269, assuming you haven't watched the OVAs.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • DarkGiygasDarkGiygas Joined: Posts: 1,362
    thanks!

edit: wow thats a fuckton of reading
    It's not a lie, if you believe it.
  • OmNiExiZtOmNiExiZt Fuckin Up Yo IgZiStEnce Joined: Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    My knowledge of Hajime no Ippo can't extend beyond that of the anime. So I have nothing to add to this thread.

ACCEPT THAT THE ANIME KICKS ALL KINDS OF ASS!!!

*ONEZ*
    *ONEZ*
    Omni-Exizt - Demi-God
    The embodiment of thought in all Creation. Determined that all living things, including humans, desire the destruction of Earth. Plans on destroying not only Earth, but all of Creation.
    The secret of life-:snka::snkb::snkb: :snka: START
    edit: wow thats a fuckton of reading

definitely. it's currently the longest manga in the world and is still going strong. (17 years) but it's worth it. especially when you consider that all the good fights start right after the anime ended. i've started watching HnI last year and i was captivated by it. when i started reading the manga i had the same feeling but boy was it worth it. i can remember spending whole nights just reading the manga.
    風林火山

My knowledge of Hajime no Ippo can't extend beyond that of the anime. So I have nothing to add to this thread.

ACCEPT THAT THE ANIME KICKS ALL KINDS OF ASS!!!

*ONEZ*

Start reading the manga. There's a lot to read, but it's worth it. I don't hesitate to say that HnI is my favourite manga/anime.
  • ShinkuuRShinkuuR Still Pissed Joined: Posts: 1,070
    Miyata isn't gonna get through this fight that easily...assuming if he wins at all. Randy just needs one good hit to cut his speed down a notch(and from what you guys say, he gets that hit).

Ippo vs Randy is something I wanna see.
    Being the only person to follow the rules, and then getting mocked relentlessly by my peers for it... that's the kind of shit that creates supervillans.
    -Shaft Agent

SF4 Rose matches: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShinkuuR
  • DSDS Hell Revealed Joined: Posts: 4,904
    Randy is gonna pull out something clutch and kill Miyata. Yes, I said 'kill'. That would be too good.
    <Chibi> ill make sure to have komi invite you when he weds his hug pillow though
    <@bellreisa>; you may now kiss the waifu
    <@bellreisa>; if you're lucky she might even kiss back
  • StabbyStabby 北丐 Joined: Posts: 4,146
    Clutch? Miyata's dad got fucked up by basically doing what Miyata is trying to pull now.
    Matriarch...Cook?
    Yeah right. Wouldn't trust a recipe from that one. Snake venom. "Eye of Newt."
    --WTF-AKUMA-HAX
    he better fucking die then. I am tired of his shit, honestly.
    You're crazy. Sep's a hella hater. That nigga buys calendars just to rip out February 14th. He won't even masturbate because they call it self-love. -Adam Warlock, Jan 16th, 2009
  • StabbyStabby 北丐 Joined: Posts: 4,146
    Stop your hating on Miyata's attitude. He doesn't have an attitude, he just wants to fucking box. You are just angry because Ippo is always on his dick.

Also, can't wait to see Date get stomped by Martinez.
    Matriarch...Cook?
    Yeah right. Wouldn't trust a recipe from that one. Snake venom. "Eye of Newt."
    --WTF-AKUMA-HAX
    There should be a special bonus match. emo overpowered pretty boy showdown: Miyata vs. Sasuke. Loser banished to filler arcs in Naruto.
  • eddymastaeddymasta The Man Without Fear Joined: Posts: 702
    They need to extend the anime for sure. I've never been a manga reader, so I haven't been able to follow HnI past the OVA sadly
    GGPO: Angrylobster
  • XiiiXiii Joined: Posts: 1,007
    For the people who haven't read the manga after the anime ended, January is the start of the new season of HnI so not long for the wait.

As for Miyata vs Randy, Miyata is a counter puncher so as soon as Randy stops attacking wildly like an idiot, Miyata's offensive will get shut down. That's how it always happens since Miyata's style is basically to annoy you and force you to chase him so he can counter you and the Jolt is like his do or die counter. He has to counter a powerful blow and next chapter is all but guaranteed to show Miyata getting knocked in the head while attempting to Jolt Randy's ass. There's no such thing as a one-sided match when both characters have a backstory in HnI, we should all know this by now. That and Thai people are cannon fodder for leveling up.
  • Sacr3DSacr3D Bounce Man Joined: Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm taking a break from the manga I read till 550 or so and now I'm at the part where the two new rookies will fight. A bit boring imo since I don't really care about them so ya...
    Ippo needs to upgrade his dempsy roll so he doesn't have to get stuffed while figure eighting the air. I foresee Gazelle Rolls where he bats opponents side to side and uppercuts them randomly out of the ring.
  • BIGWORMBIGWORM made the NSFW thread in IMM (RIP in pieces) Joined: Posts: 3,486 mod
    definitely. it's currently the longest manga in the world and is still going strong. (17 years) but it's worth it. especially when you consider that all the good fights start right after the anime ended. i've started watching HnI last year and i was captivated by it. when i started reading the manga i had the same feeling but boy was it worth it. i can remember spending whole nights just reading the manga.

So Sendo v. Ippo weren't good fights? Vorg v. Ippo was good, Jason v. Ippo was good, too.

Hell, all of them were good almost.
    Stop your hating on Miyata's attitude. He doesn't have an attitude, he just wants to fucking box. You are just angry because Ippo is always on his dick.

Also, can't wait to see Date get stomped by Martinez.

Miyata made Ippo gay. That's why he needs to die in a fire.
  • Mr.NoodleMr.Noodle Rage...Rising... Joined: Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah I don't know much beyond the OVAs of the anime. Should I start the manga from the beginning or just start after the Sendo vs Ippo 2 fight?

Have you guys played the games before? Victorious Boxers 2 for PS2 is a really good game.Only cost 10 dollars, but you have to buy it online. Victorious Boxers for the wii was a big disappointment though.
    Im tellin y'all a story in a gangsta way/ Thats how I roll nigga, AYE BAY BAY!!!!/ DingDang McGee
  • BIGWORMBIGWORM made the NSFW thread in IMM (RIP in pieces) Joined: Posts: 3,486 mod
    Yeah I don't know much beyond the OVAs of the anime. Should I start the manga from the beginning or just start after the Sendo vs Ippo 2 fight?

Have you guys played the games before? Victorious Boxers 2 for PS2 is a really good game.Only cost 10 dollars, but you have to buy it online. Victorious Boxers for the wii was a big disappointment though.

Played the PSP version of Victorious Boxers which is the exact same version as it's PS2 counterpart.

I couldn't get into it as much as I thought I could've.
  • Shafted!Shafted! Juris Doctorate Joined: Posts: 378
    ...years later i can't beat the fucking bear in that fucking ippo game for the ps2.

Hmm I used to lurk the westboard forums til i forgot about it or got bored or tired of the people on there, are there raws posted there?

Randy using static? I seriously hope its not something gimmicky, I was genuinely hoping that Randy was just a good boxer w/o a crazy ass sunday punch.

Morikawa is defintely setting us up for something with this fight that relates to ippo, but damn, i really wish he'd speed things along once in a while and not move at a snails pace.

I own VB2, and it is indeed a great game. I wrote this review for it last year: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/hajimenoippoallstars/player_review.html?id=430950

I would start reading the manga after Ippo v. Sendo 2 if you've seen the anime and OVAs. You could read the manga from the beginning, but then you'd have to put up with (IMO) bad art. Seriously, the manga in its early days is pretty ugly-looking.
  • Capn SpankyCapn Spanky Bullet Billpocalypse Joined: Posts: 1,795
    I'm glad you guys started this thread. I'm so excited about the new season of the anime.

I bet Miyata's Jolt is gonna be shut down on the first try because Randy Secretly switched to South-paw and Miyata misjudged the counter range or something. I honestly don't care who wins the fight.

What I want to see in the manga:
    It's time for Takamura to move up and take the next weight class. I bet America is running out of Boxer's with Bird names though. Takamura sure likes to make animals suffer.

Sendo Gaiden should continue a little bit further. I liked it.

Takamura's backstory needs some fleshing out too. He's a great character and I would rather see him than Miyata.

Itagaki needs a good fight. He's too broken for his rank and he needs to be placed in a fair fight.

Ippo needs to find a woman and confess to her. It's too convenient that everytime he announces his love, something unfortunate happens.
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,280 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So Sendo v. Ippo weren't good fights? Vorg v. Ippo was good, Jason v. Ippo was good, too.

show needs more sendo..fuck ippo..sendo steals the fucking show.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    You'll get more Sendo later =p
  • Mr. MamationMr. Mamation True Love we Making Joined: Posts: 4,925
    i hate seeing kimura loose. He always seems to fall short at the end or has the upper hand and makes one fuck up that screws the whole match.

I would also like to see Myata lose to Randy so he can fight Ippo.

And what is with Ippos dad? anyone figure that shit out?
    I LOVE HnK
    and myself
    I am the most beautiful man on SRK
    I'm glad you guys started this thread. I'm so excited about the new season of the anime.

I bet Miyata's Jolt is gonna be shut down on the first try because Randy Secretly switched to South-paw and Miyata misjudged the counter range or something. I honestly don't care who wins the fight.

What I want to see in the manga:
    It's time for Takamura to move up and take the next weight class. I bet America is running out of Boxer's with Bird names though. Takamura sure likes to make animals suffer.

Sendo Gaiden should continue a little bit further. I liked it.

Takamura's backstory needs some fleshing out too. He's a great character and I would rather see him than Miyata.

Itagaki needs a good fight. He's too broken for his rank and he needs to be placed in a fair fight.

Ippo needs to find a woman and confess to her. It's too convenient that everytime he announces his love, something unfortunate happens.

Not exactly shut down, but yes switching stances did screw Miyata up big time, and opened the door for the comeback. I like RBJ a lot better than Miyata. In just one chapter the guy becomes more likeable than this emo douche has been for 80 some odd volumes. How can you not root for RBJ knowing his backstory? Of course since he is not Japanese, and they are all so ridiculous xenophobic, RBJ is doomed to lose. I think so far we only have 3 non-Jap wins in the entire manga: Martinez over Date II, Miyata to...somebody, where it was played up as BS decision and he was supposed to win anyway...and...uh...well, there are those ties against Aokimura, if you combine them maybe that's a win I dunno, not really I guess.

As for your last thought, I'm glad Ippo doesn't dwell on that stuff. If you need to read that crap in a manga, go read one of the millions of chick-type mangas out there. Pretty much everything EXCEPT ippo is full of that stuff. It takes forever to get chapters out in the first place, I don't want to spend 3 months seeing Ippo court and then marry Kumi. Although Mashiba will probably have to die or something first.
  • RyusukeRyusuke SRK's Official Nigga Inspector Joined: Posts: 920

I would breeze through the beginning just to find all the stuff the anime missed. Then continue til the current chapter. You're gonna love the Takamura/Aokimura/his girl love scene on the beach...... Greatest moment in manga history ever!!!!!:rofl:

Actually, if you played VB1/2, you can see that the Fight Night games ripped their fighting engine. VB games were boss.
    i hate seeing kimura loose. He always seems to fall short at the end or has the upper hand and makes one fuck up that screws the whole match.

I would also like to see Myata lose to Randy so he can fight Ippo.

And what is with Ippos dad? anyone figure that shit out?

You must have hated the Kimura v. Mashiba match. :shake:

As for Ippo's dad...
    He was lost out at sea, presumed dead.

that's not was i was trying to say. lallapalooza is still my favorite fight in the entire series. still you can not deny that takamura vs hawk/eagle, ippo vs sawamura, sawamura vs mashiba are fights that are one of the best which weren't shown in the anime.

what i am really looking forward in the second season is the kamogawa/nekota arc.

and sendo is definitely stealing the show. naniwa tiger is in da house.:3p:
    風林火山

I found the Mashiba vs. Sawamura match to be legendary.

I actually like those two characters because they are fucking crazy as shit. Gotta love crazy.