The Hajime no Ippo (HnI) thread - Gazelle Punch Her in the Gut!

Comments

• Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,276
    where can i watch the new anime series?
  • SousukeSousuke Chinese Electric Batman Joined: Posts: 781
    it's not out yet. january09
    風林火山

"the answer lies in the heart of battle!" ~Ryu
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I hope a preview gets released soon or something. I need my HnI fix.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • EndlessEndless Death Before Dishonour Joined: Posts: 2,021
    You guys should try the Wii game, Victorious Boxers
    It's kinda messy to control your boxer, but it's really fun and sweet to do trademark special moves.
  • Shafted!Shafted! Juris Doctorate Joined: Posts: 378
    Not exactly shut down, but yes switching stances did screw Miyata up big time, and opened the door for the comeback. I like RBJ a lot better than Miyata. In just one chapter the guy becomes more likeable than this emo douche has been for 80 some odd volumes. How can you not root for RBJ knowing his backstory? Of course since he is not Japanese, and they are all so ridiculous xenophobic, RBJ is doomed to lose. I think so far we only have 3 non-Jap wins in the entire manga: Martinez over Date II, Miyata to...somebody, where it was played up as BS decision and he was supposed to win anyway...and...uh...well, there are those ties against Aokimura, if you combine them maybe that's a win I dunno, not really I guess.

As for your last thought, I'm glad Ippo doesn't dwell on that stuff. If you need to read that crap in a manga, go read one of the millions of chick-type mangas out there. Pretty much everything EXCEPT ippo is full of that stuff. It takes forever to get chapters out in the first place, I don't want to spend 3 months seeing Ippo court and then marry Kumi. Although Mashiba will probably have to die or something first.

I agree with this post 100%. How can you not like RBJ? I'll say it again: I'm glad hes not a heel and not a gimmick fighter either. I really can't wait til more is scanlated, I hope soo much that miyata gets his. I think there is a good chance miyata might lose, crosses fingers...
    F--- it, hate all you want.
  • Mr.NoodleMr.Noodle Rage...Rising... Joined: Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Actually, if you played VB1/2, you can see that the Fight Night games ripped their fighting engine. VB games were boss.

Hmm I've heard about that. I must be blind cause they seem to be 2 different engines. I didn't play Fight Night(only the third game) until after I played VB2. When did Fight Night start ripping their fighting engine?
    Im tellin y'all a story in a gangsta way/ Thats how I roll nigga, AYE BAY BAY!!!!/ DingDang McGee
  • SerpentSerpent Holy Phoenix Joined: Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I would breeze through the beginning just to find all the stuff the anime missed. Then continue til the current chapter. You're gonna love the Takamura/Aokimura/his girl love scene on the beach...... Greatest moment in manga history ever!!!!!:rofl:

The manga and anime are about 99% the same. In the manga the only difference is chibi Tyson in one panel somewhere lol.
  • G-Force4G-Force4 Joined: Posts: 9
    Glad to see an Ippo thread here. Watched the anime and read the manga a bit but I loved what I saw a read. Ippo walks a fine line between realism and hyper exaggeration. You can really tell that the author knows a lot about boxing and many times I've walked away learning something new about the sport.

Just to contribute to the thread's progression, I found a video of a guy who's making a 2D ippo game. All I can say is...wow.

• De4dEyEDe4dEyE Getting Higher. Joined: Posts: 1,906
    Itagaki v Randy Boy was hilarious.

That time stop bullshit got owned.
    Have I.... given it everything I have...?

NOPE
    The smash!

• Capn SpankyCapn Spanky Bullet Billpocalypse Joined: Posts: 1,795

As for your last thought, I'm glad Ippo doesn't dwell on that stuff. If you need to read that crap in a manga, go read one of the millions of chick-type mangas out there. Pretty much everything EXCEPT ippo is full of that stuff. It takes forever to get chapters out in the first place, I don't want to spend 3 months seeing Ippo court and then marry Kumi. Although Mashiba will probably have to die or something first.

I don't agree with this part. When you say you don't want to spend 3 months watching Ippo court and then marry Kumi, you make a good point. What you don't realize though, is the fact that Ippo has spent a good 15 years (of OUR lives :confused:) courting Kumi, messing the entire thing up by admitting his love to her on drunken benders, missing every opportunity he's had, being too scared of his own emotions, or being simply scared of Mashiba.

Not only that, but the huge love quarrel that takes place between the three women and Ippo is just so overplayed. If Ippo just chose Kumi, it would make the story the exact opposite of a chick type manga, because the three way love triangle is way too overplayed in those types of stories.

I don't want it to dwell on that stuff. I didn't say I wanted it to DWELL at all. I want Ippo to say "Itagaki, I hate your sister, never bring her around."

Actually. Just take Itagaki's sister out of the story and I'll be fine.

Anyone have a clue as to who will be fansubbing the new season?
  • Mr PHMr PH Bisu Build Joined: Posts: 265
    When is Vorg coming back?
  • RokushoRokusho With a DON! Joined: Posts: 479
    When is Vorg coming back?

In the manga or the anime?

In the manga, last I heard of him, he's in North America working on his boxing career and winning a few fights. I haven't seen the anime so I don't know where that left off and if it was before his return to eventually help Ippo see the Dempsey Roll's weak point.
    "Prepare yourself for the power of the midnight sun, the pillar of fire, the...Prominence!" - Space MedaFighter X
    Vorg is ranked I think #4 in the IBF and has a title shot coming up soon most likely. Vorg, Mashiba, Miyata and of course Takamura will all win another title before Ippo even thinks about challenging. Kinda makes Ippo ever winning a title meaningless.
  • RyujinRyujin Teh Stylish One Joined: Posts: 287
    I downloaded all the episodes of HnI, Champion Road and the OVa. Is the new anime series a continuation? cuz i know the manga has crazy amounts of chapters.
    "Oh yeah, Ryu and Ken have the same moves. That's because Ryu taught ken everything he knows in Tekken 1."
  • BIGWORMBIGWORM made the NSFW thread in IMM (RIP in pieces) Joined: Posts: 3,486 mod
    I downloaded all the episodes of HnI, Champion Road and the OVa. Is the new anime series a continuation? cuz i know the manga has crazy amounts of chapters.

I'd laugh if they STILL had fillers...
  • XiiiXiii Joined: Posts: 1,007
    If I remember correctly, there weren't really any real filler episodes that didn't do anything like the current Naruto/Bleach styled fillers were like. The last ep with Takamura I don't remember being in the manga but that was awesome filler stuff (and only filler I can remember).
    Is there a certain amount of time they wait till making a Manga into anime form? Sadly bleach and Naruto killed it with filler seasons. hell Bleach is close still now.
    "Oh yeah, Ryu and Ken have the same moves. That's because Ryu taught ken everything he knows in Tekken 1."
  • XiiiXiii Joined: Posts: 1,007
    They just wait til they have enough to do something. Most of the animes you see that go over 52 episodes became smash successes so they just kept adding on and on until you get problems like Naruto/Bleach where they run out of material because they didn't plan for the anime to air that long. Then you have shows like Kekkaishi where they end as planned even with success because that's what they planned and they stuck to it.
    That makes me sad cuz i loved watching Kekkaishi, hopefully a second season will come. Im gonna get on this HnI pronto.
  • kimterrankimterran THE SMILING Joined: Posts: 5,674
    They just wait til they have enough to do something. Most of the animes you see that go over 52 episodes became smash successes so they just kept adding on and on until you get problems like Naruto/Bleach where they run out of material because they didn't plan for the anime to air that long. Then you have shows like Kekkaishi where they end as planned even with success because that's what they planned and they stuck to it.

well look at what they did to the claymore anime. they fucked up the ending so bad that they need to change the last few episodes if ever they want to continue it again. :shake:

you guys think randy boy has a chance to win this fight?

go RBJ! :lol:
    FC 4656-7253-6641, add me for dat Poke mans
  • arstalarstal Joined: Posts: 2,968

I don't want it to dwell on that stuff. I didn't say I wanted it to DWELL at all. I want Ippo to say "Itagaki, I hate your sister, never bring her around."

Anyone have a clue as to who will be fansubbing the new season?

Take the entire family out. Have Sawamura start a motorcycle taxi service if you have to.
    --- The folks who oppose progress in fighters are the Tea Partiers of the FGC.
    I downloaded all the episodes of HnI, Champion Road and the OVa. Is the new anime series a continuation?

judging by the announcement poster yes because it says new season and you can see itagaki on it as well. besides i wouldn't fear fillers in HnI because there is so much stuff to cover that there are no reasons for fillers.
    風林火山

• Mr.NoodleMr.Noodle Rage...Rising... Joined: Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    judging by the announcement poster yes because it says new season and you can see itagaki on it as well. besides i wouldn't fear fillers in HnI because there is so much stuff to cover that there are no reasons for fillers.

Yeah that is what I loved about the HnI anime. From what I remember, there were only 3 eps of filler.
    Im tellin y'all a story in a gangsta way/ Thats how I roll nigga, AYE BAY BAY!!!!/ DingDang McGee
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think there's like one and a half episodes of filler:

-The one where Date recalls Ippo's matches

-The "Boxer's Fist" episode that was about Takamura. This episode I felt was half filler because it had new stuff as well.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,309 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You'll get more Sendo later =p

lol you should know better....im up to date on the manga.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    latest 2 chapters have been translated http://ippo-online.confusticated.com/
    風林火山

• kimterrankimterran THE SMILING Joined: Posts: 5,674
    latest 2 chapters have been translated http://ippo-online.confusticated.com/

nice looking out man! :tup:

they even have a gaiden about sendo! i hope they do these for every important character.
    FC 4656-7253-6641, add me for dat Poke mans
    more chapters are out, get em at onemanga.com
    specific news. 2nd season confirmed to air on tuesday, january 6th, 2009

http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/852957/SANY0001.JPG.html
    風林火山

any news about voices? I hope the animation will stay the same and the voices as well.
    I don't agree with this part. When you say you don't want to spend 3 months watching Ippo court and then marry Kumi, you make a good point. What you don't realize though, is the fact that Ippo has spent a good 15 years (of OUR lives :confused:) courting Kumi, messing the entire thing up by admitting his love to her on drunken benders, missing every opportunity he's had, being too scared of his own emotions, or being simply scared of Mashiba.

Not only that, but the huge love quarrel that takes place between the three women and Ippo is just so overplayed. If Ippo just chose Kumi, it would make the story the exact opposite of a chick type manga, because the three way love triangle is way too overplayed in those types of stories.

The manga doesn't dwell on it at all now. They'll throw in one or two chapters every couple of years or so, I can't even remember the last time they were mentioned. Unless you're saying let's devote one issue to a total blowoff and never mention it again, I'd rather just ignore it completely. Maybe a blurb that says they got married or something. I'd be on board for that.

He's getting pretty old especially be Japanese standards. I think he's around 26 or so now, and he still hasn't screwed a girl yet. Actually he hasn't even kissed one. At the pace he is going, he will fight Martinez and marry Kumi some time when he's 40, and Martinez will be walking around with a cane.

Maybe he needs to step his game up, both in getting a title shot and bagging Kumi. I don't mind Itagaki's sister, but I'd rather she wind up with Imai anyway. And that reporter chick? Fuck her, I can't stand her. She should just get raped by Takamura and get it over with.
    ippo is 23 years old at the moment. kinda funny that he confessed already but couldn't repeat it when kumi was awake.
    風林火山

• EndlessEndless Death Before Dishonour Joined: Posts: 2,021
    I'm hoping that the manga ends soon, but I don't see that happening
    I don't think there is anyone else for Miyata to fight after this, except Ippo.
    They should have a 20 chapter fight.
    I'm hoping that the manga ends soon, but I don't see that happening
    I don't think there is anyone else for Miyata to fight after this, except Ippo.
    They should have a 20 chapter fight.

Well, Miyata could go after Martinez, but who knows. Then if he loses to Martinez his boyfriend will try to avenge him.

Except really who cares about Ippo or Miyata. They're both tools.

Now Sendo, he's the man. Manga should end with Sendo beating Ippo in the third match, retaining his world title. There is zero doubt in my mind that Ippo's true rival is Sendo.
    I read the new chapters and laughed at the fact that the whole "Switched to Southpaw to Stop the Jolt and mess up the distance" crap actually happened. I can't believe it.

Serpent: No matter where we disagree, we agree on the fact that that reporter chick sucks. That's all that matters in the long run.

Sawamura taxi service? Sounds like a plan.
  • arstalarstal Joined: Posts: 2,968
    Glad to see an Ippo thread here. Watched the anime and read the manga a bit but I loved what I saw a read. Ippo walks a fine line between realism and hyper exaggeration. You can really tell that the author knows a lot about boxing and many times I've walked away learning something new about the sport.

Just to contribute to the thread's progression, I found a video of a guy who's making a 2D ippo game. All I can say is...wow.

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that I'm more looking forward to this then just about any new fighter coming out in 2009. From what I'm heard, he's planning to release it when Ippo anime starts up with 6 fighters.
    --- The folks who oppose progress in fighters are the Tea Partiers of the FGC.
    Hopefully this thread gets bumped when the new season gets subbed. But I guess I'd find out on the West board anyway.
    I'm still curious as to who will be subbing it. Dattebayo prolly won't take it, though, IMO they're the best.
    I'm still curious as to who will be subbing it. Dattebayo prolly won't take it, though, IMO they're the best.

Probably whoever did the first one.