Sentinel: The REFLY Thread

[KHAOS][KHAOS] YOU NEED MORE.Joined: Posts: 2,450
Ever since I discovered refly, I've been absolutely intrigued by Sentinel. Not that I wasn't before, because I thought I knew just everything there was to know about Sentinel's combo limits.

Magnus introduced me to refly, and since then I can't get enough of it.

Reflies are not only an excellent and flashy way to extend combos, but very effective in stomp-pattern maneuvers. The new combo video that I'm making will have plenty of innovative, stylish refly combos.

According to deviant, the first person documented using the refly effectively was WhiteKnight. My question is, what's the longest combo anyone has ever done with consecutive reflies?
Your reigning (defending) mvc2 champion.

Comments

• piponazpiponaz Joined: Posts: 584
    iirc, i think you can refly to more than15-20 hits starting from the lowest point doing lk,refly,up+lk,refly,up+lk and so on, possible if you got program pad skill.

from the videos i watched, the first time i saw refly used effectively was from jmar, the lk,hk refly, lk, hk, rocket punch.
  • [KHAOS][KHAOS] YOU NEED MORE. Joined: Posts: 2,450
    I'm more interested in the lk refly that is utilized in combos. The extensions that you can create are insane.
  • eczangiefeczangief GOD OF 1-HANDED ROM Joined: Posts: 1,877
    Can you offer up some execution tips? I know practice practice practice etc. but I'm looking for some help with this. I'm practicing with sj. LP, LP refly sj. LP, LP. At this point I'm not comboing the refly, just working on the inputs. Any pointers helpful.
    I can't believe I'm Magnetro.
  • piponazpiponaz Joined: Posts: 584
    Can you offer up some execution tips? I know practice practice practice etc. but I'm looking for some help with this. I'm practicing with sj. LP, LP refly sj. LP, LP. At this point I'm not comboing the refly, just working on the inputs. Any pointers helpful.

hmm... what i used to do to gauge how fast my refly was, fly sentinel as low as possible to the ground, then just do unfly/refly repetitions. if sent won't touch the ground, i think you're refly is fast enough.
  • eczangiefeczangief GOD OF 1-HANDED ROM Joined: Posts: 1,877
    good idea thanks
    I can't believe I'm Magnetro.
  • Deth-ScyanydeDeth-Scyanyde The Lost Messiah... Joined: Posts: 626
    If you want to get your refly's down you can also play the game on Turbo 2 and practice fastfly's. Due to the speed setting your inputs would have to be slightly faster to get those down...afterward go back to Turbo 1 and use your newly gained input speed and you 'may' have an easier time getting your refly's out...dependent on the players' own execution skills.
    I'm on random accounts on XBL, good luck finding me...LOL!
    Team Hellscythe - Wesker, Dormammu, Doom
    Benchwarmers - Skrull, Nemesis, Firebrand, (Phoenix)
    Fuck Vergils, Spencers & Taskmasters...90% of Wesker players are trash.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    I prefer to just use refly on zoning and stomp paterns.... I can do the refly combos, but really doesn't do more damage so i avoid them unless i know i won... Sanford & Chunksta are the only two people ive seen go more than 3 low kick reflys on a person in game play...
    I prefer to just use refly on zoning and stomp paterns.... I can do the refly combos, but really doesn't do more damage so i avoid them unless i know i won... Sanford & Chunksta are the only two people ive seen go more than 3 low kick reflys on a person in game play...

3 reflies consecutively? One after another? Amazing. I can only do 4 so far. On a good day.

But yeah, refly stomps are vicious as well. Those patterns make a huge difference in the corner.
    3 reflies consecutively? One after another? Amazing. I can only do 4 so far. On a good day.

But yeah, refly stomps are vicious as well. Those patterns make a huge difference in the corner.

Yeah i've seen Sanford do the low kick refly low kick refly low refly etc...... until he to the very top of the screen all combo in -_- he does that with the lp refly lp refly lp etc.... to.....

I can connect the reflies up to like two to three times going up but afterwards it doesn't combo.... Im asuming you need a really stiff spring or a p360 to keep it going....
  • DaddyneptuneDaddyneptune Swim Good Joined: Posts: 1,889
    Yeah i've seen Sanford do the low kick refly low kick refly low refly etc...... until he to the very top of the screen all combo in -_- he does that with the lp refly lp refly lp etc.... to.....

I can connect the reflies up to like two to three times going up but afterwards it doesn't combo.... Im asuming you need a really stiff spring or a p360 to keep it going....

I figured as much because for the time being I am using an agetech and have done only one refly out of thousands.
    Situation: I'm gonna massage every part of that body in a hot minute
    Girl: My feet first?
    Situation: I'm about to get that ass first.
    I figured as much because for the time being I am using an agetech and have done only one refly out of thousands.

Yikes. I heard there was a video on SRK somewhere where it shows a Sentinel reflying all the way to the top. *Comboed of course*

Link?
    Are you the same ?
  • lovepig78lovepig78 DEMANIO NEGRO DAK Joined: Posts: 1,448
    Are you the same ?

yea thats khaotic....

hate that guy
    Joe: like i know she's DTF, just dont wonna like come on so soon.
    Dale: hmmm. you dont gotta come on... you can come inside her!
    Joe: LOLOLOL
    Yikes. I heard there was a video on SRK somewhere where it shows a Sentinel reflying all the way to the top. *Comboed of course*

Link?

yeah they had one i think it was (Meikyousisui Volume 11)

im pretty sure he used a pad lol.... its the sentinel combo on 3:15 a little too crazy i cant refly that much....
    Can someone do a video of their hands doing this. This would be mad helpful!
    Are you the same ?

Yeah, that's me. I have a new video coming out next week. Pure Sentinel with different assists used. Reflies galore.

That Meikyousisui Volume 11 combo is classic. Crazy.
  • RairuRairu im so HD right now Joined: Posts: 1,040
    Woot. I've been hoping for a sentinel Refly video for a while. Good shit!
    If I can press two buttons at the same time it's fucking over, and I'm moving to Straight City.
  • Sp33dRac3rSp33dRac3r Sharp Shooter Joined: Posts: 572
    I demand, sorry we the ppl of MvsC 2 players request *demand* to see the new Khaos Sent vid asap hahaha...
    AV by Beast
  • Sp33dRac3rSp33dRac3r Sharp Shooter Joined: Posts: 572
    yea thats khaotic....

hate that guy

Hate that guy? Hmmm, dunno seems like yeh I hate him too *damm sent cough cough* LoL serious, see ya later and get some games in hopefully hahaha...
    AV by Beast
  • lovepig78lovepig78 DEMANIO NEGRO DAK Joined: Posts: 1,448
    the video isnt that great imo

jk

its sure to spark some ideas in casuals players
    Joe: like i know she's DTF, just dont wonna like come on so soon.
    Dale: hmmm. you dont gotta come on... you can come inside her!
    Joe: LOLOLOL
  • MagnetroMagnetro Joined: Posts: 2,134
    Random Sentinel Combos:

http://zachd.com/magnetro/sentinelcombos.wmv

each of the combos has some idea behind it before or after it goes into the generic unfly/refly stuff. Since I'm not doing anything by hand it doesn't really matter what i do unfly/refly wise. that's why I tried to include at least one 'special' thing in the clip.

1). otg with unfly into relaunch.

2). fast lk refly lockdown pattern

3). Sentinel links S.LK after ground LP-RP & SJC S.LK into SJ.LP.

4). Stuff on a standing character

5). I use the independent unfly rule + the "tiger knee" glitch where holding upforward during certain situations causes the person to go higher than usual.

I jump up forward in order to:

*Allow Magneto E.M. Disruptor to hit.
    *Give Sentinel unfly

threw a song over the video cause the audio was out of sync
    Random Sentinel Combos:

each of the combos has some idea behind it before or after it goes into the generic unfly/refly stuff. Since I'm not doing anything by hand it doesn't really matter what i do unfly/refly wise. that's why I tried to include at least one 'special' thing in the clip.

Very nice! These were very different. Love em.

Any word on that Sentinel (semi) infinite on Blackheart?
  • RairuRairu im so HD right now Joined: Posts: 1,040
    Random Sentinel Combos:

1). otg with unfly into relaunch.

2). fast lk refly lockdown pattern

3). Sentinel links S.LK after ground LP-RP & SJC S.LK into SJ.LP.

4). Stuff on a standing character

5). I use the independent unfly rule + the "tiger knee" glitch where holding upforward during certain situations causes the person to go higher than usual.

I jump up forward in order to:

*Allow Magneto E.M. Disruptor to hit.
    *Give Sentinel unfly

threw a song over the video cause the audio was out of sync

dope.
    If I can press two buttons at the same time it's fucking over, and I'm moving to Straight City.
  • SpyroSpyro Joined: Posts: 195
    According to deviant, the first person documented using the refly effectively was WhiteKnight.

Who is deviant?

Anyways, I was there the first time White Knight started doing reflies (2001, and he didn't call them reflies) but he really wasn't using them effectively, he just came up with some combos in training mode and he thought that in theory he could use reflies to do infinite combos but as far as using them effectively in matches, no.
    Who is deviant?

Anyways, I was there the first time White Knight started doing reflies (2001, and he didn't call them reflies) but he really wasn't using them effectively, he just came up with some combos in training mode and he thought that in theory he could use reflies to do infinite combos but as far as using them effectively in matches, no.

CRAZY! I've always wanted to play against White Knight. So much for that.

What's that guy up to nowadays? And if he didn't call them reflies, what did he call them?

Update: Sentinel Montage vid is almost done. :tup:
    He didn't call 'em anything.

And he still plays from time to time. He is still crazy good.
    He didn't call 'em anything.

And he still plays from time to time. He is still crazy good.

How good is he? Good enough to place top 8 at Evo?
    I've been over that...

There was a time (around 2002/03) where I thought he was easily top 3 in the world from what I could gather from playing him and playing other players like Justin/Sanford/Hyo/Potter/Row etc. but at the same time he did prove in Evo2k2 that he didn't have the mental capacity/toughness to hang with the big boys (because he had never played anyone good or played in a big tourney), so when he was on yes he was that good but when he needed to step up he could not and that's still probably the case because Evo2k2 has been his only tourney and if he where to play again probably the same would happen, who knows.

Right now everyone is good so I would put him up there with all the better players but I doubt he would hang with the best.
  • ImPerfectCellImPerfectCell Duc Low Joined: Posts: 238
    Random Sentinel Combos:

? i've never heard of that. How does that work?
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
    -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Refly X 2
    Hello all, would someone please explain how to do the refly to me please. I have tried flying, calling unfly, and flight again, but I can't get the second flight to come out. Thanks for the help and much luv!

M N N
    Hello all, would someone please explain how to do the refly to me please. I have tried flying, calling unfly, and flight again, but I can't get the second flight to come out. Thanks for the help and much luv!

M N N

Basically fly,unfly,fly really fast. Thats the first step. Someone here said practice doing that close to the ground to the point that you wont touch the ground.

Last month I learned how to refly but I rarely connect it in combos. I mainly utilize it for stomp patterns but I'm not sweet at all with it. It takes practice. A lot of practice. Are you using a stick or pad?
    Basically fly,unfly,fly really fast. Thats the first step. Someone here said practice doing that close to the ground to the point that you wont touch the ground.

Last month I learned how to refly but I rarely connect it in combos. I mainly utilize it for stomp patterns but I'm not sweet at all with it. It takes practice. A lot of practice. Are you using a stick or pad?

Thanks for the help sir. I am using a Dreamcast pad right now....would a stick be better? Much luv!

M N N
    Thanks for the help sir. I am using a Dreamcast pad right now....would a stick be better? Much luv!

M N N

IMO yes a stick would be a lot better mainly a MAS stick. It makes the sentinel stuff a little easier although I think a few cats here uses a pad.
  • ElderGODElderGOD GOD Joined: Posts: 9,800

M N N

Someone I know made me use a DC pad to play MvC2 against him.

I wanted to kill myself.

Friends don't let friends play on pad.
  • ImPerfectCellImPerfectCell Duc Low Joined: Posts: 238
    Someone I know made me use a DC pad to play MvC2 against him.

I wanted to kill myself.

Friends don't let friends play on pad.

lmao I try to play on ps2 pad. its like trying to play with 1 hand or something
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
    -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Refly X 2
    Can anyone in here land consecutive refly-lk's in the air?

I'm up to 5, but I still can't get down the motion to refly up/diagonally to keep up with the opposing character as I land the ff lk's.
  • slowtactician86slowtactician86 HIGHER LEARNING Joined: Posts: 262
    Khaotic_one: sent you a PM
    MVC2-Thrax, MSP, MSS, Row,
    "HLC" - Higher Learning Crew
    MvC2 360 Videos: www.youtube.com/iitruevibeii
  • slowtactician86slowtactician86 HIGHER LEARNING Joined: Posts: 262
    Yipes and Sanford are killing the refly combos in competition play easy.

Noticeable videos of season's beatings III: Yipes vs. Sanford, Yipes vs. Rattana, Sanford vs. GhettoOnTheRise....beastly reflies.
    MVC2-Thrax, MSP, MSS, Row,
    "HLC" - Higher Learning Crew
    MvC2 360 Videos: www.youtube.com/iitruevibeii
    links?