Warriors Fate: Street Fighter story thread, revived

Comments

• TarkanXTarkanX Joined: Posts: 869
    I have another question(applying to quotes), in the Gill to Alex win quotes, he says:

You were only slightly easier to defeat than the one who came before me."

Now what was Gill talking about, I know Gill losed to Alex on purpose, but was Gill talking about Tom, and if he was, does that mean Tom is stronger, or is it a mis-translation?

And a quote from Oro:

For once I felt pressed. First time in ten years I've broken a sweat

Now SF3 tournament was placed in 1998, so 10 years before is 1988, that is the time of alpha 2, did he fight Akuma, or Gen, or is this just a mistranslation? Oro hasn't trained for 50 years by the way.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Back to the Retsu, Akuma, Ryu thing. I don't think that just because they spar means Retsu is anyone close to Gouken's level. Same with Ryu and Ken. They spar, and they are both good, but honestly, in an all out fight. (Even though this would never happen.) By all out I mean no holding back on either side in a fight to the death, Ryu would mop the floor with Ken. (And Ken's my boy, but that's how I feel.) They may appear to be close, but I think Ryu has outclassed kNe by much farther than what may appear on the surface. BUt again, we'll never see that. It's kind of like saying who would win, the 2000-2001 Lakers or the 1993-1994 Bulls? They may appear to be close. But if it came down to it, the Bulls would mop the floor with them. (BUt that's a thread in and of itself :)!)

Hence I think Ryu did beat Retsu fair and square, but Retsu beat an ailing Gen.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar The Grumpy Surly One Joined: Posts: 1,092
    Random: I got an e-mail from Agent Guile and... ah, it's too long to repeat in my own words (and... I don't know much about pronounciation, anyways), so I'll just copy and paste here :p

Tiamat,
    I just want to add some comments to your Street Fighter faq.

Charlie Nash is Charlie's full name. This was said to me by LastGodVT (an SRK
    member. I don't know if he's still an active poster on SRK these days). He owns
    a copy of the the All About Capcom book.

About the name pronunciation thing.

I know that Saiki is Japanese, and apparently, I have no right of questioning
    his credibilty (since I'm not Japanese) about what he said about the "right"
    pronunciation of the names of the Street Fighter. But I know your email adress I
    don't know his so I'll say this to you instead.

Japanese people tend to pronounce a word in a way that their spelling of the
    same word doesn't really match its pronunciation.

For example:

Let's use the word, "RUROUNI KENSHIN."

If we pronounce that word the american english way, we would pronounce the word
    rurouni as....

ROO-ROW-KNEE

But,
    Japanese has the same vowel sound reportoire as Spanish,

a - as in Dan (Hibiki)
    e - as in Edmond (Honda)
    i - as in Ibuki
    o - as in gallop
    u - as in Ibuki

so the word should be pronounced as

ROO-RO-KNEE

The difference is that (aside from the different pronunciation of the letter
    "r"), the o in "ROU" (in rurouni) uses the Spanish "o".

What I'm saying is, if we pronounce the rou in rurouni the Japanese way, there's
    no need for the extra "u" after "ro" since it will create the misconception that
    it is pronounced as "row".

By this, I'm saying that the word Feilong is pronounced as

Fe-lon

Fe (uses the Spanish e).

and Lon (since your faq says that the "g" is silent).

It's kinda like how the Japanese pronounce the word Sensei.

They pronounce it as Sen - Se (Spanish e)

and not

Sen - Say (that's the American pronunciation)

Same goes to Feilong. It's Fe (and doesn't sound like fay)

And also, about the word Gouki.

Saiki is right. It's Go-key

But he didn't specify which type of "O" to use

It should be go(spanish o)-ki.

Please tell this to Saiki if you can talk to him.

<end e-mail>

Ah... well, I don't know much about pronounciation (okay, I'm clueless about it :p), though it was stated before that Nash wasn't Charlie's last name. Does All About Capcom really say it is? Yeep! *is confused*
    well I've got some questions

What's the Japanese version of the pre-dialouge between Gouki and Gen? In the US version it goes:

Gouki: (Master Gen) {I wonder why it's in parathesis, is Gouki actually speaking or using Telepathy or something?}

Gen: What is it you want with me Akuma?

Gouki: (Your defeat).

Gen: I think not.

*Used Gouki instead of Akuma.

Also what Sagat mean during his Alpha three ending, when he says that "his destiny (Sagat's), Ryu you are the only man worthy of it."
  • UltimaUltima Retired SF Aristocrat Joined: Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    re: Nash's full name

Okay. I checked AAC, and while my Jpn is far from complete, I see no mention of "Charlie" anywhere under Nash's entry. Every other character with a last name (Ken, Sean, Sakura) as it mentioned prominantly somewhere, but Nash has zip.

Oh, and I never noticed it before, but "Andore" is the exact katakana spelling of that character's name: AN-DO-RE. So in english it would translate to "Andre", but Capcom took it and spelt it literally from the jpn. translation. So in a sense, Capcom didn't change the character's name - they just took advantage of an english spelling trait to make it appear as if the name was pronounced differently (since I don't know about you folks, but every english pronunciation of "Andore" I've ever heard/used wa was "AN-DOOR").

I as going to mention something about all the pronunciation crap, but I'm kinda rusty on my japanese. I'll just say that I believe he's wrong: "ou" (very simlar to a long "o") is pronounced differently to just "o", and "ei" (almost like "ay") is pronounced differently to just "e"
    Ultima - The Right Arm of Scrub Voltron
    Originally posted by Hcparker
    Also what Sagat mean during his Alpha three ending, when he says that "his destiny (Sagat's), Ryu you are the only man worthy of it."

i see it as a compliment on sagat's part. He is saying that he is glad that his destiny / future / fate revolves around a man as great as ryu.

here's kind of a quick question: what is the translation for akuma's 3S hidden super Kongou Kokuretsu Zan??
    Grenade Falcon,

I don't think Ryu knows who Gouki is only that he is the one that killed Gouken.

Think about it for a second.

Ryu only came into Gouken's care WELL after Gouken's own training was completed.

Gouken disliked his own fighting style enough that he radically changed it, teaching Ryu and Ken a toned-down version.

Gouki has likely been in intensive training in solitude. I doubt he cared enough to visit Gouken at any point prior to their match.

Originally posted by Saiki
    and Ryu vs Gouki dialogue isn't like that in Japanese version.
    Gouki:
    .......! You, you're Gouken's......!
    Ryu:
    I feel as if I've met you before, you're my masters............but this isn't a sparring match. I challenge you as a fighter!
    Gouki:
    .........Hmph, Boy! It's been a long time since my blood boils!

This dialogue seems to indicate that Ryu senses something about Gouki. Whether that is Gouki being related to Gouken or simply that Gouki IS the one that killed Gouken could be a matter of debate.

Gouki also seems to identify Ryu right away as Gouken's student presumably from his chi and similarity to Gouken.
    I think Ryu and Akuma's dialogue in both the Japanese translation that Saiki gave and Capcom's butchered US translation indicate that they've at least seen each other, before. Though... I guess all them ellipses can get confusing, sometimes ^^;

Thanks, Ultima! Okay, yea, I was wondering about that. That pronounciation in the e-mail always seemed like an... odd pronounciation of Fei Long to me. :P
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 12,987 mod
    Just a few questions today.

1. Saiki - When you have time could you please tell us what AAC says about Jin and Devilot?

2. Anyone ever notice how in Strider 1 and 2 their is a flying Fortress called "Balrog" like our favorite Spanish Ninja? Is that just a coincidence since I think Strider 1 came out before SF2 or has the name of that flying Fortress been mistranslated by Capcom USA?
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    Random: I got an e-mail from Agent Guile and... ah, it's too long to repeat in my own words (and... I don't know much about pronounciation, anyways), so I'll just copy and paste here :p

Tiamat,
    I just want to add some comments to your Street Fighter faq.

Charlie Nash is Charlie's full name. This was said to me by LastGodVT (an SRK
    member. I don't know if he's still an active poster on SRK these days). He owns
    a copy of the the All About Capcom book.

About the name pronunciation thing.

I know that Saiki is Japanese, and apparently, I have no right of questioning
    his credibilty (since I'm not Japanese) about what he said about the "right"
    pronunciation of the names of the Street Fighter. But I know your email adress I
    don't know his so I'll say this to you instead.

Japanese people tend to pronounce a word in a way that their spelling of the
    same word doesn't really match its pronunciation.

For example:

Let's use the word, "RUROUNI KENSHIN."

If we pronounce that word the american english way, we would pronounce the word
    rurouni as....

ROO-ROW-KNEE

But,
    Japanese has the same vowel sound reportoire as Spanish,

a - as in Dan (Hibiki)
    e - as in Edmond (Honda)
    i - as in Ibuki
    o - as in gallop
    u - as in Ibuki

so the word should be pronounced as

ROO-RO-KNEE

The difference is that (aside from the different pronunciation of the letter
    "r"), the o in "ROU" (in rurouni) uses the Spanish "o".

What I'm saying is, if we pronounce the rou in rurouni the Japanese way, there's
    no need for the extra "u" after "ro" since it will create the misconception that
    it is pronounced as "row".

By this, I'm saying that the word Feilong is pronounced as

Fe-lon

Fe (uses the Spanish e).

and Lon (since your faq says that the "g" is silent).

It's kinda like how the Japanese pronounce the word Sensei.

They pronounce it as Sen - Se (Spanish e)

and not

Sen - Say (that's the American pronunciation)

Same goes to Feilong. It's Fe (and doesn't sound like fay)

And also, about the word Gouki.

Saiki is right. It's Go-key

But he didn't specify which type of "O" to use

It should be go(spanish o)-ki.

Please tell this to Saiki if you can talk to him.

<end e-mail>

Ah... well, I don't know much about pronounciation (okay, I'm clueless about it :p), though it was stated before that Nash wasn't Charlie's last name. Does All About Capcom really say it is? Yeep! *is confused*

So this is where my email went. :D

I never thought that this thread will be resurrected.

Nice to see this thread again. :D
    Just some random Otakuness - In Animerica's latest issue, there's an article entitled "Sex Cels" in which the writers and editors of this magazine have compiled the hundred sexiest females and the hundred sexiest males in Anime and Manga. Cutey Honey won for sexiest female and Vampire Hunter D won for male. Anyway, here's the order the video game females appeared -

Morrigan
    Chun-Li
    Mai Shiranui
    Sofia (Toshinden)
    Cammy White
    Felicia

An interesting side note - Cammy was about twenty steps up from the character she was inspired by - Gally/Alita.

If anyone cares, for the males it was -

Geese Howard
    Terry Bogard
    Ryu
    Andy Bogard
    Ken Masters

As for Top Ten sexiest Anime character designers, (The winner was the artist for Wicked City and Ninja Scroll) Shuko Murase (SFII the Animated Movie, Darkstalkers) was number three and Masami Obari (Fatal Fury, Gowkaiser) was number four.
  • TarkanXTarkanX Joined: Posts: 869
    Got another question, what is the rivalry with Hugo and Alex, and Makato, and Ibuki?
    Originally posted by TarkanX
    Got another question, what is the rivalry with Hugo and Alex, and Makato, and Ibuki?

my guess is that hugo and alex are just big arrogant rasslers, and they just feel threatened by the other

makoto is a teenage girl with next to no social life and dress in a very un-fan service like manner. ibuki is a teenage with a social life and boyfriend and she wears western clothes. they're just opposites. some have speculated that ibuki killed makoto's dad, but i doubt it.
    Welp, I was looking through Lantis SF3: Double Impact quote list again, and I decided to share some of them. These include win-quotes that reinforce things that are already known, some boss battle dialogue and character specific win-quotes that may bring up some interesting new points, and special Super Art finish win-quotes that emphasize on the nature of the Super Art used to finish your opponent. They may prove most valuable, providing they arent mistranslated or butchered from the original versions of SF3. ;)

Super Art Quotes:

Alexs Super Art quote with Boomerang Raid:
    "With an ending like that, I'm quite happy with my performance.... A combination Super Art finish!"

Ibukis Super Art quote with Yoroi Doushi:
    This is Ibuki's favorite super powerful move! Did you enjoy it?

Judging from these, Super Arts are referred to as Super Arts by the characters themselves and not just for players to call them as!

Ryus Super Art quote with Denjin Hadoken:
    "Denjin! The electric bite of the Thunder God cannot be stopped!"

I REALLY dont know what hes refering to as a thunder god. Itd better not be himself because he even acknowledges that hes far from being a perfect fighter. I hope Saiki knows something about this.

Oros Super Art quotes with Yagyou Dama:
    A dream, a phantom, and an illusion. That's the meaning of Yagyou-Dama.

It doesn't strike you, yet it still drags you in. That's the secret of Yagyou-Dama.

This says it all. The super is an illusion extracted from Oros mind. Its even expressed by the start-up of the move where Oro touches his head and pulls out that ball of imagery. The thing that still puzzles me though is how he can manipulate the hyped-up version of the Yagyou-Dama in Third Strike where he jumps up in the air and throws it with both hands. It doesnt look as if hes dreaming it because of the way he exerts himself.

Uriens Super Art quote with Tyrant Slaughter:
    My body is as hard as iron! My ultimate attack mashes like a cannonball!

This explains why his body makes that clanking noise when he blocks an attack. You see him boasting about it all the time in Second Impact.

Gills Super Art quote with Meteor Strike:
    "Defeating me would mean leading the world to destruction. Accept your divine punishment!"

Just a direct reference as to what Gills true intentions are.

Dudleys Super Art quotes with Corkscrew Blow:
    Corkscrew!!! It has the destructive power of a hurricane!

The Corkscrew was a perfect finisher. I did not think you could withstand it.

I dont know if hes just exaggerating on the power the move, but it is something to consider.

Winner vs. Loser quotes:

Oro vs. Akuma
    "Hmm? I think I met you somewhere before.... Is it just me? Will you tell me?"

An interesting possibility.

Alex vs. Urien:
    "I thought you were my arch-rival! I guess I was wrong.... You resemble him so closely...."

This confirms that Alex never met Urien until SF3, if at all he did. He only heard about the one who beat him from Tom.

Urien vs. Ken:
    Your 'burning hand' reminds me...you shall suffer.

I guess Urien hates anything that reminds him of Gill.

Ryu vs. Yun in Second Impact:
    "You posess great ability at your age! I have rarely seen such potential. Only once before...."

A reflection of how skilled Ryu considered Sakura to be.

Ryu vs. Yun in New Generation:
    "Chinese art.... That reminds me of all the strong opponents in the past."

Ryu vs. Yang in Second Impact:
    "I hold the art of Chinese Kung-Fu in high regard. Excellent performance!"

Another good reason why Chun-Li appears in Ryus SFA3 ending. He even gives Yun a pat on the back for his Kung-Fu prowess in CvS2.

Ryu vs. Elena:
    "You have a nice bounce in your body! It's wonderful!"

Proof that Ryu isnt asexual like everyone sees him. :D He does like women, though a love interest is not a top priority for him.

Ken vs. Elena:
    "A lady like you should not act so violently!"

Hah! Maybe Elena isnt all friendly as she looks after all! Lol! :D

Hugo vs. Ibuki:
    "Whoa, what is this stuck in me? Thanks for the gift!"

Hugo vs. Dudley:
    "You can only tickle me with your punches. A professional wrestler can withstand much more."

More details that give the extent of how high Hugos tolerance for damage is. You cant pierce him with a knife and not even the worlds greatest light-weight boxer can phase him. Amazing.

Elena vs. Yun
    "It's O.K.! Take it easy! It's no use crying after losing the battle!"

Turns out that Yun can be a sore loser. This quote doesnt sound like an insult either.

Boss Dialogue:

Ryus end-boss battle with Ken:
    Ryu: "Ken.... It's good to see you! Long time no see old friend!"
    Ken: "Ryu.... You haven't changed! You know the drill; let's do it!"

Ill assume that the fact Ken is Ryus final boss indicates that Ken lost to Ryu in the tournament.

Ibukis end-boss battle with Gill:
    Ibuki: "You have something that doesn't belong to you; hand it over!"
    Gill: "Of course. But only in exchange for your life, Shinobi girl...."

:eek: Does this imply that the G-Project was STOLEN by Gills organization? Hmmmm.

Uriens mid-boss battle with Alex:
    Alex: "You know a man named Tom, don't you?"
    Urien: "What was that?! Never mention that name around me!"

As is the case with Alexs Vs. quote to Urien above, he most likely didnt know Urien before SF3. This does raise the possibility that Tom was a former candidate to have fought for the position Gills currently in. It even looks as if Tom mightve been the one who beat him.

Necros mid- boss battle with Ibuki:
    Ibuki: "Are you that stretching cyborg? Tell me where to find your boss!"
    Necro: "How about I charge you with electromagnetic power instead?"

I dont know where Ibuki couldve gotten information suggesting that Necro is a cyborg, but it does explain why he can attack with electricity.

So what do you all think?
    Grenade Falcon - My favorite quote on that sight is when Ken tells Ryu - "It's time you settled down and raised a family. Maybe I'll help you, my friend." I always thought Ken gave up on Ryu hooking up a long time ago and accepted him for who he was, until I read this. Oh well, we all know Ryu will probably remain single for the entire SF series, but at least it seems he's not antisexual as you pointed out - thanks for that.
    Originally posted by Grenade Falcon
    Welp, I was looking through Lantis SF3: Double Impact quote list again, and I decided to share some of them. These include win-quotes that reinforce things that are already known, some boss battle dialogue and character specific win-quotes that may bring up some interesting new points, and special Super Art finish win-quotes that emphasize on the nature of the Super Art used to finish your opponent. They may prove most valuable, providing they arent mistranslated or butchered from the original versions of SF3. ;)

Super Art Quotes:

Alexs Super Art quote with Boomerang Raid:
    "With an ending like that, I'm quite happy with my performance.... A combination Super Art finish!"

Ibukis Super Art quote with Yoroi Doushi:
    This is Ibuki's favorite super powerful move! Did you enjoy it?

Judging from these, Super Arts are referred to as Super Arts by the characters themselves and not just for players to call them as!

Agreed.
    Ryus Super Art quote with Denjin Hadoken:
    "Denjin! The electric bite of the Thunder God cannot be stopped!"

I REALLY dont know what hes refering to as a thunder god. Itd better not be himself because he even acknowledges that hes far from being a perfect fighter. I hope Saiki knows something about this.

Maybe Ryu is implying that he somehow channels the power of the Thunder God when he uses the Denjin similar to how Dhalsim uses the power of the God of Fire?

Oros Super Art quotes with Yagyou Dama:
    A dream, a phantom, and an illusion. That's the meaning of Yagyou-Dama.

It doesn't strike you, yet it still drags you in. That's the secret of Yagyou-Dama.

This says it all. The super is an illusion extracted from Oros mind. Its even expressed by the start-up of the move where Oro touches his head and pulls out that ball of imagery. The thing that still puzzles me though is how he can manipulate the hyped-up version of the Yagyou-Dama in Third Strike where he jumps up in the air and throws it with both hands. It doesnt look as if hes dreaming it because of the way he exerts himself.

Uriens Super Art quote with Tyrant Slaughter:
    My body is as hard as iron! My ultimate attack mashes like a cannonball!

This explains why his body makes that clanking noise when he blocks an attack. You see him boasting about it all the time in Second Impact.

Gills Super Art quote with Meteor Strike:
    "Defeating me would mean leading the world to destruction. Accept your divine punishment!"

Just a direct reference as to what Gills true intentions are.

Dudleys Super Art quotes with Corkscrew Blow:
    Corkscrew!!! It has the destructive power of a hurricane!

The Corkscrew was a perfect finisher. I did not think you could withstand it.

I dont know if hes just exaggerating on the power the move, but it is something to consider.

Winner vs. Loser quotes:

Oro vs. Akuma
    "Hmm? I think I met you somewhere before.... Is it just me? Will you tell me?"

An interesting possibility.

But I thought as of 3rd strike they're quotes indicated they've NEVER met before.

Alex vs. Urien:
    "I thought you were my arch-rival! I guess I was wrong.... You resemble him so closely...."

This confirms that Alex never met Urien until SF3, if at all he did. He only heard about the one who beat him from Tom.

Urien vs. Ken:
    Your 'burning hand' reminds me...you shall suffer.

I guess Urien hates anything that reminds him of Gill.

Ryu vs. Yun in Second Impact:
    "You posess great ability at your age! I have rarely seen such potential. Only once before...."

A reflection of how skilled Ryu considered Sakura to be.

Ryu vs. Yun in New Generation:
    "Chinese art.... That reminds me of all the strong opponents in the past."

Ryu vs. Yang in Second Impact:
    "I hold the art of Chinese Kung-Fu in high regard. Excellent performance!"

Another good reason why Chun-Li appears in Ryus SFA3 ending. He even gives Yun a pat on the back for his Kung-Fu prowess in CvS2.

Ryu vs. Elena:
    "You have a nice bounce in your body! It's wonderful!"

Proof that Ryu isnt asexual like everyone sees him. :D He does like women, though a love interest is not a top priority for him.
    [/quote]

I don't know about that, he maybe just be compliementing her on her Fighting skills, especially considering Capoeria depends a lot on the motion of the fighter. If Ryu has knowledge of her fighting style (likely) then he's probably just saying she is very good at it.
    Ken vs. Elena:
    "A lady like you should not act so violently!"

Hah! Maybe Elena isnt all friendly as she looks after all! Lol! :D

Or maybe Ken's surprised at how effective Elena's fighting style is?
    Hugo vs. Ibuki:
    "Whoa, what is this stuck in me? Thanks for the gift!"

Hugo vs. Dudley:
    "You can only tickle me with your punches. A professional wrestler can withstand much more."

More details that give the extent of how high Hugos tolerance for damage is. You cant pierce him with a knife and not even the worlds greatest light-weight boxer can phase him. Amazing.

Elena vs. Yun
    "It's O.K.! Take it easy! It's no use crying after losing the battle!"

Turns out that Yun can be a sore loser. This quote doesnt sound like an insult either.

Boss Dialogue:

Ryus end-boss battle with Ken:
    Ryu: "Ken.... It's good to see you! Long time no see old friend!"
    Ken: "Ryu.... You haven't changed! You know the drill; let's do it!"

Ill assume that the fact Ken is Ryus final boss indicates that Ken lost to Ryu in the tournament.

Ibukis end-boss battle with Gill:
    Ibuki: "You have something that doesn't belong to you; hand it over!"
    Gill: "Of course. But only in exchange for your life, Shinobi girl...."

:eek: Does this imply that the G-Project was STOLEN by Gills organization? Hmmmm.

I somehow doubt Ibuki is referring to the G-Project, I don't think a ninja clan would be interested in genetic research. Maybe Gill stole something from them?
    Uriens mid-boss battle with Alex:
    Alex: "You know a man named Tom, don't you?"
    Urien: "What was that?! Never mention that name around me!"

As is the case with Alexs Vs. quote to Urien above, he most likely didnt know Urien before SF3. This does raise the possibility that Tom was a former candidate to have fought for the position Gills currently in. It even looks as if Tom mightve been the one who beat him.

The more I hear about Tom the more it sounds like he WASN'T a candidate to the head of the organization and more like a member of a committee that selected the leader or an advisor to someone with that power.
    Necros mid- boss battle with Ibuki:
    Ibuki: "Are you that stretching cyborg? Tell me where to find your boss!"
    Necro: "How about I charge you with electromagnetic power instead?"

I dont know where Ibuki couldve gotten information suggesting that Necro is a cyborg, but it does explain why he can attack with electricity.

So what do you all think?

I agree with almost everything you say GF, except where I indicated.
    Originally posted by sano
    Grenade Falcon - My favorite quote on that sight is when Ken tells Ryu - "It's time you settled down and raised a family. Maybe I'll help you, my friend." I always thought Ken gave up on Ryu hooking up a long time ago and accepted him for who he was, until I read this. Oh well, we all know Ryu will probably remain single for the entire SF series, but at least it seems he's not antisexual as you pointed out - thanks for that.

When does Ken say that?
    Hcparker - According to Lantis's Faq up at Gamefaqs, it's a winner to loser quote in SF3 Second Impact that Ken says when he defeats Ryu.
    I thought Ibuki knew what Necro was because she knew what the G-Project was, and the G-Project was what produced Necro? ^^
  • AKUMA2000AKUMA2000 RAGING DEMON DISTRIBUTOR Joined: Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    TarkanX
    Guy doesn't say anything along the lines of beating up one of Vega's soldiers. That is something that Cap USA put in.
    and Ryu vs Gouki dialogue isn't like that in Japanese version.
    Gouki
    .......! You, you're Gouken's......!
    Ryu
    I feel as if I've met you before, you're my masters............but this isn't a sparring match. I challenge you as a fighter!
    Gouki
    .........Hmph, Boy! It's been a long time since my blood boils!

And Sakura vs Ryu dialogue isn't like that too. It goes like this

Sakura
    Hehe, I've looked all over the place for! I've finally found you!
    Ryu
    ? And you are.....?
    Sakura
    I saw you fighting one time......and now I'm addicted to Street Fighting! I've even learned your special moves! Hey can i challenge you! I think I'm pretty good!

ending
    Sakura
    um....wait! I want to get stronger. I want to learn more...........so please! Will you teach me more skills! Will you be my master!
    Ryu
    ...........I am still under training. I do not have the right to teach others. You can get stronger yet. With your own skills............

And I remember someone asking about the dialogue between Gen and Ryu in Z3 so here it is.

Gen
    I did not expect to meet such a young user of the Ansatsuken near my death........... This world still has it's joy's left......
    Ryu
    That stance, it is the art used for killing..........
    Gen
    And what if it were?
    Ryu
    He's strong! I can feel his strength just by standing infront of him!

after battle
    Gen
    His art seems the same yet different from Ansatsuken.....a pure, fist. Without cloudness.........But why does it bother my heart so? Is it because I faced another user of Ansatsuken? Or is it because of the power's that lies within this man..........

Wow, this is my first time reading the SFA2 jap version endings.....I wonder why capcom usa changed the official endings, dam them...:rolleyes:
    i've only played third strike, and it seems odd to me that ibuki never mentions the g-file once in TS. instead, she focuses on getting into college in story-line.

lot a mysteries surrounding the g-file. what is it? why does ibuki want it in NG & DI? why does she gives up after TS? does it have something to do with necro, 12, and maybe Q?

But I thought as of 3rd strike they're quotes indicated they've NEVER met before.

How? Just because Oro doesn't comment on having met Akuma before in TS at all doesn't mean he never might have. It's still a possibility.
    I don't know about that, he maybe just be compliementing her on her Fighting skills, especially considering Capoeria depends a lot on the motion of the fighter. If Ryu has knowledge of her fighting style (likely) then he's probably just saying she is very good at it.

Maybe, maybe not. Lots of arts require you to have smooth movements, but he specifically comments on Elena's bounce and calls it "wonderful". I don't know what having a nice bounce has to do with fighting ( *cough*Mai Shiranui*cough*). Besides, I don't think he'd ever say that to a guy, even if his body does have a bounce. :D
    Or maybe Ken's surprised at how effective Elena's fighting style is?

Hardly ever. A fighting style has nothing to do with acting violently. I'm guessing even Elena has a short fuse. It makes even more sense when you know that Ken's a cocky bastard.
    I somehow doubt Ibuki is referring to the G-Project, I don't think a ninja clan would be interested in genetic research. Maybe Gill stole something from them?

I was asking if Gill stole the G-Project from some other organization that hired Ibuki's clan to retrieve it.
    I thought Ibuki knew what Necro was because she knew what the G-Project was, and the G-Project was what produced Necro? ^^

Yeah, but Necro was just a prototype for all those genetically mutated blobs.
    Originally posted by tool_028
    i've only played third strike, and it seems odd to me that ibuki never mentions the g-file once in TS. instead, she focuses on getting into college in story-line.

lot a mysteries surrounding the g-file. what is it? why does ibuki want it in NG & DI? why does she gives up after TS? does it have something to do with necro, 12, and maybe Q?

The G-File is merely classified information regarding the production of Necro and the blob-like mutants that Twelve was created with.

If Ibuki did succeed in getting the G-File in SI, she wouldn't care about it anymore because Gill tells her that the project has already begun and that her clan was too late in stopping it. She's more interested in living a normal life, as you can see in TS.

How? Just because Oro doesn't comment on having met Akuma before in TS at all doesn't mean he never might have. It's still a possibility.

Didn't Saiki's earlier translation of Oro vs. Gouki go something like:

Oro: Ah so is the power of the Satsui no Hado, quite an impressive power for a young man.
    Gouki: I've heard of Senjin before (something) Old man.
    Oro: (something) the path of the warrior is never easy, let us travel it now.

I know I don't have the specifics but it went something like that.

Maybe, maybe not. Lots of arts require you to have smooth movements, but he specifically comments on Elena's bounce and calls it "wonderful". I don't know what having a nice bounce has to do with fighting ( *cough*Mai Shiranui*cough*). Besides, I don't think he'd ever say that to a guy, even if his body does have a bounce. :D

Well this is his first time meeting someone who uses that particular style. The other thing to consider is Engrish or a mistranslation of Ryu ACTUALLY says to Elena.

Hardly ever. A fighting style has nothing to do with acting violently. I'm guessing even Elena has a short fuse. It makes even more sense when you know that Ken's a cocky bastard.

True.

I was asking if Gill stole the G-Project from some other organization that hired Ibuki's clan to retrieve it.

Okay I misunderstood what you were saying.
    That Oro vs. Gouki dialogue is the same from the US version of the game. I don't recall Saiki ever posting it up.

And I did say a while ago that Ryu's quote to Elena might be worth noting, providing it wasn't mistranslated or butchered from the original version.
    That Oro vs. Gouki dialogue is the same from the US version of the game. I don't recall Saiki ever posting it up.

Saiki did post the Japanese version of that conversation where Oro said something like "here let me rough you up a little" to Gouki, I distinctly rememeber seeing it.

And I did say a while ago that Ryu's quote to Elena might be worth noting, providing it wasn't mistranslated or butchered from the original version.

Okay didn't see that last part.
  • ClayClay Spooooooon!!! Joined: Posts: 108
    Saiki did post up the Japanese Oro-Gouki intro in the old thread, they're almost exactly the same, word for word. There are a few minor differences, but you can get the gist of it. In the American version Oro says "Evil Intent" whereas in the Japanese version he refers to it as "Satsui no something" or other. In both versions Oro greets Gouki, compliments him and jokingly mocks Satsui no Hadou. Gouki then brushes him off/ threatens him to which Oro replies that it isn't so easy to become a master and states that he'll teach Gouki a lesson/ rough him up a little. If you know one version, then you know the other.
    -Clay
    All right, I think we should get to the bottom of what Gill's capable of. Questions:

1.) How is Gill's immortality justified? And does the fact that his body can be harmed come into conflict with this?

2.) Is it true that Gill has to die in order to perform the Resurrection? Or is it just restoration of the body? (Just curious, because this concept of Gill dying at the hands of a mere martial artist seems kinds ridiculous, even if he is just holding back.)

3.) Is it true that Gill's ability to create and uncreate fire and ice is symbolic for his power to control all opposing forces and create other things? Or was Gill simply implying in Yun's Third Strike ending that it is his mission to unite the two powers and not that he has the power to do it at will?

4.) Would he be considered a universal source of his own energy? If not, how good is his stamina, and how much of it is required to perform his two Super Arts and to resurrect/revitalize?
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Knight of Knowledge Joined: Posts: 270
    Whew! Nice to see the thread is back up, even without the old posts. Seems like people have found quite a lot of new info too.

Regarding All About Cyberbots, there was a All About Warzard so Cyberbots should have one as well.

Regarding various Japanese translations:

Denjin literally means "electricity man", but something-jin is also used for gods. Raijin is the thunder god for example, and Fuujin is the wind god. So, denjin = electricity god, but changed to thunder god to sound better.

Kongou Kokuretsu Zan... isn't this translated in some FAQ? Anyway, kokuretsu is "earth shattering" or something like that. Gou in kongou is probably "great".

Oro's style is Senjutsu (you could write it Senjutu but the Japanese doesn't have "tu", only "tsu"), which means "aged techniques".

Sadly I don't have AAC with me right now (had to make room for a PS2 and an Xbox when I packed to go home for the summer) so I can't confirm anything, but the Cyberbots characters and all storyline from the actual game are in it.

Oh, and I have that Shadaloo base picture somewhere, but it was badly scanned so I didn't post it along with the other official Capcom art at Fighter Mania. Don't remember seeing Cracker Jack there though.
    All right, I think we should get to the bottom of what Gill's capable of. Questions:

1.) How is Gill's immortality justified? And does the fact that his body can be harmed come into conflict with this?

Well I think Saiki said Gill had an immortal soul not an immortal body.

That explains HOW he can survive the ShunGokuSatsu as opposed to Vega/Rose who were killed.
    3.) Is it true that Gill's ability to create and uncreate fire and ice is symbolic for his power to control all opposing forces and create other things? Or was Gill simply implying in Yun's Third Strike ending that it is his mission to unite the two powers and not that he has the power to do it at will?

my interpretation:

i think he can actually do these things, they are more than symbolic actions. i think that the reason gill just doesn't go ahead and unite the two opposing forces that will soon self-destruct is because they are not out of alignment yet, but one day in the future the apocalypse will come, and gill will do his job.

www.gamegen.com (who you brutally shot down) said the apocalypse will come in the 2200's

www.gamegen.com (who you brutally shot down)

Brutally? This is the same guy who put a picture of Andy Bogard on the Geese page. :evil:
    Wow, really? Which pic are you talking about? *looks through*

Admittingly, Geese DOES look a lot like Andy, though. :p Especially that pic of him from Art of Fighting 2 when he's younger and has long hair (it's the one with the butler). Course, SNK did intend to make Geese Andy's real father at one point, which explains it, though they scrapped that later on for some reason :(
    It's the pic where he's blocking a punch (presumably Terry's). You can easily tell that guy in the pic is Andy; his wristguards are not the same as Geese's, nor is he wearing the same gi.

I knew Geese had long hair when he was younger, but really, how can anyone not see that it isn't him?
    Oh, I see it! Thanks! Oopsw, I skimmed too fast. Though wow, now I can see a family resemblance even more than ever, but yea, it's still obvious that that's not Geese now that I'm doing more than skimming. :D
  • SaikiSaiki Joined: Posts: 99
    Wow, lots have been going since I last replied.......sorry for not writing back, been too busy playing Warcraft3. But anyways..

Agent Guile
    Nash is Nash. Charlie Nash is not his name.
    Feilong would be pronounced, Fay Lone(and the "o" sound being short instead of long). And your pronounciation of Sensei, it is suppossed to be said Sen say but alot of people say it Sen se.

Grenade Falcon
    I guess SFIII does have mis-translations........
    Ibuki vs Gill boss dialogue
    Ibuki - "I've come to take the item. Prepare yourself!"
    Gill - "In exchange for you life shinobi girl. I will enjoy this!"

Urien vs Alex
    Alex - "I'm getting revenge for Tom right now......"
    Urien - "I have no memory of what you speak of! Feel the wrath of myself!"

And Ibuki knows about Necro and the G-File. She was sent by her clan to retrieve the G-file from Gill.

1) Gill is immortal. He's pretty much the same kind as Vega. His body isn't immortal but his soul is. The only difference is that Gill's scientists can make a better body for Gill then Vega's scientists could. Hence why you see a body of Gill being created in Urien's ending in 3rd strike.
    2) He can freely revive himself.
    3) Yes, it is menat to be symbolic. He was suppossed to be light and darkness instead of fire and ice but that was too hard for the people at Capcom to do so they switched to fire and ice.
    4) Do you mean if he creates his own energy? If that, then yes.

HcParker
    Gill can survive the Shungokusatsu because he's that much better than Vega.

tool_028
    Don't use gamegen as a source for any story info. He has many info thats wrong mixed with right leading to lots of confusion. He has the date right but it's not apocalypse, its the creation of Eden. I personally dont see Gill as a bad guy. He really hasnt done that much bad. He beat up Tom because Tom challenged him. It was a fair one on one. He kept his word with Dudley and gave the key back. And Gill actually bought the car and Dudley is the one who stole it back. He kept his word and gave Ibuki the G-File.
    The only things I find that Gill's ever done that are remotely villainous was being a cheap bastard (but that's gameplay, not story :lol: ) and the way he handled Necro, though I imagine that's because he now sees Necro as trash and not worthy of being treated respectably or something. And the latter definately doesn't make him the villain of the series, since being a villain to just one character in a not-very-main-way doesn't make you the villain of an entire series...

Did Urien's Third Strike ending actually happen? Though if it did, I doubt it was the end of Gill...

Wow, though, I guess Urien didn't know Tom, after all. ACK! Lousy Capcom of USA. Blah! Guess this gets rid of all those "were also candidates for the messiah" conjectures surrounding Tom and Alex...
    1) Gill is immortal. He's pretty much the same kind as Vega. His body isn't immortal but his soul is. The only difference is that Gill's scientists can make a better body for Gill then Vega's scientists could. Hence why you see a body of Gill being created in Urien's ending in 3rd strike.
    2) He can freely revive himself.
    3) Yes, it is menat to be symbolic. He was suppossed to be light and darkness instead of fire and ice but that was too hard for the people at Capcom to do so they switched to fire and ice.
    4) Do you mean if he creates his own energy? If that, then yes.

HcParker
    Gill can survive the Shungokusatsu because he's that much better than Vega.

Thanks Saiki.

I was wondering about this because Gill had a lot in common with Vega in my view.

I have some questions still:

1) Do you think Vega splitting himself into two (Vega and Rose) made him weaker then Gill or was he totally outclassed from the start?

2)Is it possible that Vega is somehow linked to Gill or Gill's organization?

3)On a different note, is 3rd Strike the first time Gouki and Oro have ever met?
  • SaikiSaiki Joined: Posts: 99
    I just realized something. AFter looking through the boss dialogue in SF 2nd Impact, the Ken vs Gouki dialogue stopped my eyes. The dialogue goes like this.

Ken - "........hey, hey, you're kidding right? You're still alive?"
    Gouki - "..........once more, let me see again, you burn your fists!"

This one made me wonder because, Gouki says burn your fists again. To my knowledge, Gouki and Ken have never fought. The only place I can think of is when Ken arrived at the scene when Gouki killed Gouken.
    I think this dialogue shows that Ken actually fought Gouki at that time when Gouki killed Gouken.

HcParker
    1) I think Gill outclassed Vega.
    2) Capcom hasnt said anything but I personally think that Gill and Urien are the missing fellow students Vega trained with.
    3) Yes, in person. But they have both felt each other's ki for a long time. So in some senes, they knew each other for the longest time but never met in person till 3rd strike.
    I just realized something. AFter looking through the boss dialogue in SF 2nd Impact, the Ken vs Gouki dialogue stopped my eyes. The dialogue goes like this.

Ken - "........hey, hey, you're kidding right? You're still alive?"
    Gouki - "..........once more, let me see again, you burn your fists!"

This one made me wonder because, Gouki says burn your fists again. To my knowledge, Gouki and Ken have never fought. The only place I can think of is when Ken arrived at the scene when Gouki killed Gouken.
    I think this dialogue shows that Ken actually fought Gouki at that time when Gouki killed Gouken.

I see. They should've really focused more on that in the Zero series.

Of course, it wouldn't have become known in the US anyway, seeing as how Capcom of USA likes to hide all the interesting aspects related to Gouki's history. :bluu:
    3) Yes, in person. But they have both felt each other's ki for a long time. So in some senes, they knew each other for the longest time but never met in person till 3rd strike.

But if they met, they would've had to fight each other, correct? Has Capcom elaborated on this? Did they say if Oro beat Gouki? Because I don't think Gouki would've killed Oro, given what's known about their current whereabouts.
    Wow, Ken and Akuma fight each other as a boss battle? Where does that take place? Does it happen when Akuma shun-goku-satsus Gill or something? Or did Capcom remove it from the American version of SI or so? I can't find it referenced in any dialogue faqs. Doh! The US version has both Shin Akuma and "Your character" saying "........." each before the fight starts, though...
    Wow, Ken and Akuma fight each other as a boss battle? Where does that take place? Does it happen when Akuma shun-goku-satsus Gill or something? Or did Capcom remove it from the American version of SI or so? I can't find it referenced in any dialogue faqs. Doh!

Hey, neither can I! If it was in the US version, I'm sure I would've listed it already!

:mad: DAMN YOU CAP USA! You guys piss me off!

No wonder so many people here lack respect for the SF storyline! :fury:
    Wow, Ken and Akuma fight each other as a boss battle? Where does that take place? Does it happen when Akuma shun-goku-satsus Gill or something? Or did Capcom remove it from the American version of SI or so? I can't find it referenced in any dialogue faqs. Doh! The US version has both Shin Akuma and "Your character" saying "........." each before the fight starts, though...

I don't think they fought each other as a boss battle or else Ken would be dead right now.

I'm guessing that AFTER Gouki killed Gouken, Gouken's daughter may have attacked him and Ken intervened to save her life.

That would explain how Ken could have 'fought' Gouki and not been killed. It would also allow Ken to presumably pass on more information to Ryu about Gouki.
    going back to gill--

so 2200 is when he will create another utopia, but what is he doing in the meantime? are these opposing powers mentioned in yun's TS ending in balance or not? you guys probably answered these questions, but some of the answers are confusing to me.

and i can't find that andy pic on geese's gamegen page. is it that really dark one above the butler picture?

I don't think they fought each other as a boss battle or else Ken would be dead right now.

I'm guessing that AFTER Gouki killed Gouken, Gouken's daughter may have attacked him and Ken intervened to save her life.

That would explain how Ken could have 'fought' Gouki and not been killed. It would also allow Ken to presumably pass on more information to Ryu about Gouki.

If they did fight, Gouki wouldn't have killed Ken. Obviously, Ken wasn't worth a deathmatch at that time, so at best, Gouki might've incapacitated him for getting in the way.

I'm not sure why Ken asks him if he's still alive in SI.

And Saiki's already stated in the old thread that Ryu discovered Gouken was killed by Gouki when he sensed Gouki's chi.
    going back to gill--

so 2200 is when he will create another utopia, but what is he doing in the meantime? are these opposing powers mentioned in yun's TS ending in balance or not? you guys probably answered these questions, but some of the answers are confusing to me.

and i can't find that andy pic on geese's gamegen page. is it that really dark one above the butler picture?

I believe Gill is still searching for people who can help build his utopia after the two powers collide and shatter their balance. As you can see in his "what-if" ending in TS, he makes Alex into one of his own. And I mean literally, one of his own. If such a thing were to happen if Gill had encountered Alex a second time, Alex would be given the immortality needed to see the day of the creation of Eden take place 200 years later. It was prophecized that a boy who controls the elements would save the people after the disaster. This could mean Gill, possibly Alex, or possibly another chosen warrior whom Gill chooses to grant his power to. Alex might just be the FIRST chosen warrior to carry out his plan, and not really the ONLY one. This is just conjecture, but it seems reasonable.

Gill tells Yun in TS that the balance between the two powers will eventually crumble and bring death to many.

And yes, the Andy pic is the one above the pic with the butler.
  • ClayClay Spooooooon!!! Joined: Posts: 108
    2) Capcom hasnt said anything but I personally think that Gill and Urien are the missing fellow students Vega trained with.
    Yeah, I thought about that too. It would be kind of cool if it were true, but their fighting styles and abilities are so radically different from Vega's that does seem like an odd fit. Still, there are some similarities... I hope that Capcom doesn't forget about this.
    Saiki, did Vega kill his master/teacher or am I getting my stories crossed? I can't quite recall.
    EDIT: Nevermind, I'm positive that Vega did slay his master.
    But if they met, they would've had to fight each other, correct? Has Capcom elaborated on this? Did they say if Oro beat Gouki? Because I don't think Gouki would've killed Oro, given what's known about their current whereabouts.
    GF: It could have been sort of a sparring match. Maybe they were both testing each other for strengths and weakness in order to figure out how much they were both holding back. Remember, Gouki didn't kill Gen in their first meeting either.
    If they did fight, Gouki wouldn't have killed Ken. Obviously, Ken wasn't worth a deathmatch at that time, so at best, Gouki might've incapacitated him for getting in the way.
    Also, Retsu was likely there as well. He would have helped protect Ken and Gouken's daughter. Among other things, Gouki could have spent a good portion of his strength defeating his brother. Most likely, he just didn't even care about the others that much.
    I'm not sure why Ken asks him if he's still alive in SI.
    Yeah, what's up with that? Why would Ken be surprised that he's alive, Gouki isn't _that_ old. Did he assume that Gouki's SnH would have consumed him by now? Maybe he thought that he would have retired from fighting by now. He (Ken) probably isn't used to seeing senior citizens still going at it. Perhaps Ken himself thinks that he's close to retirement. He should still have at least a little bit left in him.
    That's all for now.
    -Clay

Btw, where's Berias?
    Originally posted by Clay
    GF: It could have been sort of a sparring match. Maybe they were both testing each other for strengths and weakness in order to figure out how much they were both holding back. Remember, Gouki didn't kill Gen in their first meeting either.

I find that hard to believe. Gouki threatened Oro in their pre-fight dialogue, and I don't think Gouki's the type who'd make an empty threat, just for a sparring match.

And Gouki did try to kill Gen just as Gen tried to kill him. It was a deathmatch after all. It wasn't until he saw that Gen was sick that he adandoned the fight, which could've been an honorable thing to do when you think about it. He acknowledged how worthy he was as an opponent despite his illness, so I guess Gouki was so impressed by Gen that he decided to leave him and wait for his next challenge as soon as his strength has fully recovered.
    Also, Retsu was likely there as well. He would have helped protect Ken and Gouken's daughter. Among other things, Gouki could have spent a good portion of his strength defeating his brother. Most likely, he just didn't even care about the others that much.

Maybe. But there isn't a whole lot about Retsu that we know about. Capcom didn't make any statements on how far he progressed in the World Warriors tournament or what happened to him afterward.

Oh, and does Retsu even know Ryu and Ken?
    So what you're saying is Ryu somehow sensed Gouki's chi at Gouken's dojo and used that to track him down? That would explain how Ken finds Ryu in SFA3 and some other fighter meetings, I guess. Still it's a bit of a stretch almost DBZ like....

As far as Alex goes, I'm guessing that Gill is impressed with his potential and probably believes Alex will become one of the strongest fighters on the planet, someone who is worthy of being in his utopia.

Ken and Gouki's dialogue is interesting the say the least. I think Ken's simply surprised Gouki is still alive and that someone hasn't killed him by now. I'm assuming this means Gouki killed Vega AFTER Guile defeated him. Otherwise Guile would informed his brother in law of the mysterious man who killed Vega.

Gouki vs. Oro is similar to Gouki vs. Gen. One thing to remember is Oro IS fighting with a severe Handicap and if nothing else Gouki wants to fight a fighter at their full potential.