Cannon Spike! The Cammy Thread

Comments

• Silver Rain 007Silver Rain 007 Professional Economist Joined: Posts: 2,108
    I wanted to put something witty about Economics and E-Sports here... but all I can say is wow... the people who signed up to take my class on E-Sports... fail.
  • TragicHeroTragicHero Cammy...that is all. Joined: Posts: 730
    You sir are dedicated, probably to the point of needing to be medicated :looney:

Haha... I will be the first to admit that my Cammy obsession is out of hand...but I've had to live with it since I was 9. I've just learned to accept it and live my life like a healty human being. lol
    http://gay-nerds.com
    My heart goes out to all those inner-city kids out there. Especially the ones too fat to dance their way out.
    No posts since 10/14?? For shame!!
    Just curious as to what most people's usual win to loss ratio is. Trying to gauge how good of a player I really am.
    I usually win about 4 to 5 games for everyone 1 loss I have. Usually out of 20 games I've won around 14 or 15 and lost around 5 or 6.
    My heart goes out to all those inner-city kids out there. Especially the ones too fat to dance their way out.
    That really depends, I would say my winning percentage overall is in the 80-85 percent. But my record maybe doesn't reflect that since I took alot of losses when I was first learning Cammy, before the love kicked in ya know.

Nowadays, I'd say I'm about 80-85 percent. My biggest problem is when you run into someone, who's not necessarily more skilled, but knows how to play the matchup. Advantage for Cammy until really high level play is that no one really knows how to play Cammy that well since "She's the worst character and nobody plays her." But on the high end, people know the matchup well enough that that advantage is gone and you're stuck with not having great options against fireball traps etc.
    I wanted to put something witty about Economics and E-Sports here... but all I can say is wow... the people who signed up to take my class on E-Sports... fail.
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,220
    I don't pay enough attention to it, but I'm constantly playing the best of the best so its probably low. Against good players I can win ~80% of my matches, but against the elites I'm probably at 25-30%. I need to boost my reflexes if I want to achieve the next level.
  • SLEZZYSLEZZY NOT Sleazy Joined: Posts: 326
    I'm probably similar to Norieaga. I play the best guys on PSN so I don't win much but if I play randoms I can do pretty well.
    1. Play dishonorably
    2. Receive hatemail
    3. ???
    4. Profit
    That really depends, I would say my winning percentage overall is in the 80-85 percent. But my record maybe doesn't reflect that since I took alot of losses when I was first learning Cammy, before the love kicked in ya know.

Nowadays, I'd say I'm about 80-85 percent. My biggest problem is when you run into someone, who's not necessarily more skilled, but knows how to play the matchup. Advantage for Cammy until really high level play is that no one really knows how to play Cammy that well since "She's the worst character and nobody plays her." But on the high end, people know the matchup well enough that that advantage is gone and you're stuck with not having great options against fireball traps etc.

I like the fact that people think she's crap and not many people play her. It gives us a huge leg up because people don't take the time to learn the match up. And she's really not that bad, definitely not the worst in the game anymore like in ST. I HATE when someone picks the classic version instead of HDR. No safe drills, near impossible hooligan and even more useless SBF. And for some reason, just my luck, they always pick Honda in classic mode. I almost want to give up right then and there but I don't.
    But yeah, I think Hawk, Gief, and Fei have worse match ups than Cammy in HDR.
    Well not to get into another tier discussion, I am one of those people who likes Fei ALOT in HDR. I can't play him for crap, but I do like Fei alot. Gief pwns me hard. I can't help it. GoldenArch (ken player) once described the problem with Hawk. You're either awesome or you suck. There's no middle ground so its hard to LEARN that matchup, similar to Cammy.

HDR Cammy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (INFINITE GREATER THAN SIGNS) O or N Cammy. PERIOD
    Yeah, she's definitely better than previous Cammy's. I just wish they didn't nerf her j. strong, its not like it would've made her that much better.
    Okay, so this thread needs discussion. I'm thinking each couple days we can talk about specific matchups. We can compile data together, maybe rehash some stuff that we already know but want to bring back up, I think it would help drive this thread forward because it always gets a little action, and then it dies.

So, here's what I think Cammy should try to do against...*picks name from hat* Ryu.

1.) Walk and Neutral Jump are your friends! - It took me forever to figure out that you have to take advantage of Cammy's foot speed on the ground. Walking is often times a much safer way to travel than jumping. When you have to jump, neutral jump over FB's. Why? It doesn't put you into 'Oh I jump, so he moves and sweeps' mode AND sometimes you can bait the DP if you space yourself correctly.

2.) SBF is actually useful against Ryu, vs. Ken, not so much. Ryu's fireball is a little faster, so you have more room with j. sbf to pass through fireballs at full screen. You can even mix up your SBF game a little. Jab from full screen, into a second fierce SBF will get you all the way across, this works great if he's in the corner.

3.) The corner is your friend, not Ryu's. Yes, Ryu has great defensive options, but Cammy has great OFFENSIVE options in the corner. When he can't run anymore, Thrust Kick becomes more useful, j.mk becomes more useful, not to mention, if you know your distance you can super on reaction through anything he's got and he's not going anywhere. Cammy's corner pressure game is excellent and when you're ready to mix it up, after you've got Ryu sufficiently off balance, you can hooligan, bring him back out and reset. The corner is where Cammy wins this match, not in the open field. Look at most Cammy vs. Ryu matchups, if Cammy won, Ryu is in the corner, on the ground... where he belongs.

4.) Yes, DP beats Cannon Drill, but you can TK DP on reaction for the DP spammers with much more leniency than you can against Ken.

Yes this is a tough matchup for Cammy, Ryu has decent cross up options, he has a very good super (oh SBF is GREAT for avoiding the super), the fake can be really annoying, and he can push you back anytime he wants if you're in the open. But if you get Ryu knocked down once, and can put the pressure game on him, and FORCE Ryu to play defense, Cammy can compete in this matchup.
    So, here's what I think Cammy should try to do against...*picks name from hat* Ryu.

1.) Walk and Neutral Jump are your friends! - It took me forever to figure out that you have to take advantage of Cammy's foot speed on the ground. Walking is often times a much safer way to travel than jumping. When you have to jump, neutral jump over FB's. Why? It doesn't put you into 'Oh I jump, so he moves and sweeps' mode AND sometimes you can bait the DP if you space yourself correctly.

The problem with Cammy is that her only option of getting in is walking forward. Elite players never fall for the SBF. You can pretty much sum-up her getting in game against anyone as walking forward. SBF is only good for mind games, but all the really good players just sweep you out of it.

2.) SBF is actually useful against Ryu, vs. Ken, not so much. Ryu's fireball is a little faster, so you have more room with j. sbf to pass through fireballs at full screen. You can even mix up your SBF game a little. Jab from full screen, into a second fierce SBF will get you all the way across, this works great if he's in the corner.

I'd argue its quite useless, for reasons mentioned above. It is only useful if you are a full-screen away and want to avoid taking chip damage. You can jab-SBF to force the enemy to come closer. But again, characters like Ryu do the most damage from 3/4 of the screen.

3.) The corner is your friend, not Ryu's. Yes, Ryu has great defensive options, but Cammy has great OFFENSIVE options in the corner. When he can't run anymore, Thrust Kick becomes more useful, j.mk becomes more useful, not to mention, if you know your distance you can super on reaction through anything he's got and he's not going anywhere. Cammy's corner pressure game is excellent and when you're ready to mix it up, after you've got Ryu sufficiently off balance, you can hooligan, bring him back out and reset. The corner is where Cammy wins this match, not in the open field. Look at most Cammy vs. Ryu matchups, if Cammy won, Ryu is in the corner, on the ground... where he belongs.

Standing fierce is also good for stuffing fireballs, and standing medium punch kills hurricane kicks. I find myself using these lots more.

4.) Yes, DP beats Cannon Drill, but you can TK DP on reaction for the DP spammers with much more leniency than you can against Ken.

Only if they fierce-DP, which elite players will never do unless they're certain of a hit.

In bold. Cheers!
    Norieaga pretty much touched all the points I wanted to say. However, if you can predict a fireball (which is pretty damn hard vs. good players), SBF can be useful...

s. MK and cr. MK work well in this matchup. s. MK can stuff fireballs, hurricane kicks, and beat DP on the way down from recovery. cr. MK can stuff fireballs and DP on the way down.

Watch out for his cr. HK, very fast. Cannon Drill spacing is VERY IMPORTANT. MUST hit at the very very tip of her toes or else you're getting swept...and then you'll have to play the fireball game.
    1. Play dishonorably
    2. Receive hatemail
    3. ???
    4. Profit
  • DanTheTimidDanTheTimid The Timid Disciple Joined: Posts: 159
    The key to using SBF in a ryu match up (in my experience) is that you never ever try to SBF threw a fire ball in such a way that you get both hits. Instead you should be aiming to jab SBF at such a distance that just the tip of the second hit will land. The tip of the second hit of the SBF actually goes pretty dang far (check the hit boxes) allowing you to go through ryu's fire balls and put pressure on him at such a distance that his sweeps can't quite reach you. Now of course this means the spacing on when you can use the SBF is very strict, but once you get it down, it can actually be a pretty useful tool to have. Even if he blocks, he took chip damage, you closed distance, and you built up more super meter then he did.

Theres huge truth to the fact that you NEED to close the distance gap on ryu, and that at times means slowly walking forward and patiently neutral jumping when needed. At range your at such a huge disadvantage, but up close I'd argue that even with his DP things still shift in Cammy's favor.

As Slezzy mentioned, if you can close the gap on ryu, S.MK stuffs a ton of what ryu can do and is a relatively reliable way of punishing wiffed DPs (remember to hit them out of the air, don't let them him land). Cannon Spike also becomes extremely deadly at close range, and yes so does his DP but I'll take a CS vs DP war over a SBF vs FB war any day. And of course if you have super meter at close range any ryu fire ball should result in ryu losing 50% of his health to reaction spin drive smasher.

Speaking of which, definitely try to focus on building up super meter in this match up, as cammy's spin drive flat out beats both his FBs and his super and is probably her single biggest advantage over him in this match up. Once you've got spin drive his options shrink considerably. Once you get it, perhaps more so then against any other oponent, do not just throw it out willy nilly. Heck, some times not throwing it out at all can be more powerful then using it as the threat of it alone can throw off their rythm and win you games.

Just some of my thoughts on the match up.
  • jactiafjactiaf Down, but Never out Joined: Posts: 31
    ????!!!!!

You have got to be kidding me!!! Seriously???!

I'll have to check that out for myself.

Oh, and to add on to this, ST at least, cammy's roundhouse can also cross up Blanka too, i did this on GGPO tonight, which would lead me to think that Honda could be another victim for her jumping roundhouse to cross up considering Honda's and Blanka's body size are fairly similar.
    -- He wears you down, you get bored, frustrated, do something stupid, and he's got ya

-- It's not that I have no honor, I do/ it's just I play with No Restraints with the No Honor Crew
    Noriega, you know you're my boy and all, but they don't have to F. DP for that to be the case, because you don't have to F. TK.

You can space the SBF so it does have a use, even against elite players. Dan is right when he notes that the trick is usually forgetting the first hit and spacing yourself on the tip edge of the second hit's hitbox. You also have to be willing to mix up your distances and probably play a little mindgame, take a sweep or two, play the gambit game a little.

Ryu dominates at 3/4 screen I agree, but that is also where you can cancel hooligans to close distances and here again you have to alternate between j. hooligan and s. hooligan into cancel... it'd sure be nice if HDR Cammy had the dive kick from SF4, of course why she can't dive kick out of hooligan in SF4 is beyond me, but lets get back to the better game here...

C. MK is Cammy's lifeblood in this matchup and S. MK is AWESOME. I personally don't use S. MK enough but I really should because it really has GREAT range.

Awesome advice on the Drill. That spacing is important. S. CD in the corner is great but you can't abuse too much or it'll put you into sweep range which leads to you being knocked down which leads to you blocking a fireball on wake up which pushes you back out.

Good stuff. Ryu's going down!
    Also, if you can trick him into thinking that you've landed in an unsafe position from your Cannon Drill and have him try to sweep you, you can do a cr. MP or Thrust Kick and both options will beat him out. You can also just wait for him to throw out a sweep, then cr. MK or even Cannon Drill since it has really poor recovery.

After pressuring him in the corner with Cannon Drills, cr. MK, s. MK, etc., I find that Ryu players like to jump back and try to HK you out of anticipation of a Cannon Drill. This is when you start Thrust Kicking his ass back down to earth. Then he'll be a lot more cautious and start blocking more...this is where you can start playing around with Hooligan and tick throws. :) It's all about training him to do what you want him to do. Once you got him on your leash, you've pretty much got the win. Just don't sleep once you get into a good position!
    1. Play dishonorably
    2. Receive hatemail
    3. ???
    4. Profit
    Noriega, you know you're my boy and all, but they don't have to F. DP for that to be the case, because you don't have to F. TK.
    I don't see how its done? Let's say Ryu jab-SRK's and you block, doesn't it push you back enough that you cannot TK? And if you can, won't he be able to recover and block? Let me know if I'm wrong, I never really do this.
    Well if you neutral jump and he j. SRK's yes, but you can bait the SRK with a s. TK or a M. TK, he goes to throw the second one, BAM R. TK. It doesn't work everytime, but the truth of the matter is as Cammy, you effectively admit to your opponent, I'm here to play the 2D Fighting Version of Chess with you. Sometimes you have to take a punch to give a kick. Mindgames my man, mindgames.
    This is probably completely useless, but I think I found a crossup Hooligan....do a cl. or cr. medium attack and 2-in-1 into medium Hooligan. Wait until you just reach the other side before you throw them. They'll begin to turn around just before you throw them. And you'll get the body slam instead of the frankensteiner. Maybe there is some application for this? Possibly too slow?
    1. Play dishonorably
    2. Receive hatemail
    3. ???
    4. Profit
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    Which hooligan you get seems to depend on where you hit the opponent. The frankensteiner version has much more frame advantage on the knockdown. Against characters that get up quickly like Sagat or Vega (Claw) you need to land the frankensteiner version to be able to safe jump.
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • RatOrcsRatOrcs Joined: Posts: 76
    Any of you all active on XBL between 11PM - 3AM MST and want to work on building your immunity to hooligan?

Let's get together sometime and take turns randomly spamming each other with it for a half hour or so!

Just send me a FR and/or a message letting me know you're up for practice.

EDIT: ;_;
    Okay. So we need more discussion, we talked about the Ryu matchup earlier, lets talk about (randomly draws name) Zangief! Who wants to post how they feel about the Zangief matchup and what are some commonly used effective tactics against the red cyclone?
  • geogeo Official Contrarian Joined: Posts: 1,291
    Okay. So we need more discussion, we talked about the Ryu matchup earlier, lets talk about (randomly draws name) Zangief! Who wants to post how they feel about the Zangief matchup and what are some commonly used effective tactics against the red cyclone?

Poke with cr.MK constantly, and hit confirm cancel into LK drill. Use cannon spike when he jumps towards. Uhm, that's it?? :-)
    Just one example of ST fundamentalism on dontblowthis.com: "HDR is just another game with no relation to the Street Fighter II series" - riz0ne
    I agree. Next character... How about Chun-Li. She is great at escaping that pressure game huh?
    Yall gotta stop lettin the Cammy thread die!!
    For Chunners, I try to bait her to jump in as much as possible...she's a bouncy bitch. One of my most aggravating fights though for sure.
    Yeah. I find myself playing mindgames with Chun. I'll play Nipul Herr who's a pretty good Chun or Zass and I will intentionally make a mistake or try to expose a 'weakness' to exploit in order to capitalize on that once it becomes a habit. Like maybe I'll do a silly jump in and get kicked back or I'll walk up and let the fireball hit me once or twice. Of course these type of risky mind game tactics can backfire badly.

I find for Chun, once I get the first knockdown and I can keep up the pressure, I can crossup, bait the reversal upkick, knock down again, There are zero Chun-Li Wake Up Options that I'm worried about. I personally love to bait the wakeup reversal upkick by intentionall empty jumping too far like I'm going for the crossup.

My problem with Chun is in the open field, Chun can control a surprising amount of space and Lightning Kicks stuff... alot...

Oh I also hate how sometimes chun will straight jump LK and it stuffs TK... I hate that so much...
    v. Chun
    - st. fierce to stuff her fireballs
    - bait her wake-ups
    - you can hooligan her lightning kick if you're good with spacing
    - once you get life lead, turtle. she will either walk straight and do a stored super, or jump and eat your AA
    - cross-ups are important, her wake-up is inconsistent so make sure you master her hitboxes
    So it appears that Cammy can still punish horizontal Blanka rolls after they hit with RH Cannon Drill, although it is not consistent at all. There's a certain distance that it can hit. I was in practice mode and doing repeated Blanka rolls to a computer controlled Cammy, waiting for a Cannon Drill retaliation. Most of the time, I was able to block, but there were a few times that I couldn't block it for some reason. These were not meaty rolls either, which are very easily countered. Has anyone tested this out?
    1. Play dishonorably
    2. Receive hatemail
    3. ???
    4. Profit
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    So it appears that Cammy can still punish horizontal Blanka rolls after they hit with RH Cannon Drill, although it is not consistent at all. There's a certain distance that it can hit. I was in practice mode and doing repeated Blanka rolls to a computer controlled Cammy, waiting for a Cannon Drill retaliation. Most of the time, I was able to block, but there were a few times that I couldn't block it for some reason. These were not meaty rolls either, which are very easily countered. Has anyone tested this out?

The machine plays by different rules.
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • MiloDCMiloDC You betcha! Joined: Posts: 473
    Norieaga wrote:
    It prevents his hop-in move. Also a good counter after a green fist. With enough spacing it can also act as an AA.

It only stuffs his booms. Here's how I see Guile's openers:

flash kick - not common, too risky
    sonic boom - quite common
    b + mk - common
    f + mk - might be common but bad move

I personally feel Guile is most likely to throw a boom. If you connect on the hit then at least you get opening damage, allowing you to be less aggressive and more intelligent. If he does b + mk, at least he's moving himself closer to the corner. f+ mk is a bad opener for Guile because he's next to you now.

And honestly, the matchup is a bitch as it is. Facing Guile gives me the absolute biggest migraine next to Blanka. Ken can also be extremely irritating with his arsenal that sometimes has 0 frames of recovery. Seriously, have you guys noticed that YOU can get punished when Ken lands from his super. THE FUCK!!!

Whoops, I meant b+mk, not f+mk. But I didn't know it stuffed booms...I'll try it next time!

Also for Ken, I like to use cl. mk when he's falling down and still in mid-air. It will hit him regardless of what side you're on because of its cross-under properties. You can mix it up with other cross-under stuff after that; go under him and do another cl. mk into combo, or fake him out and appear as if you're going under but stay on the same side and sweep, etc.

I've never gotten that opening standing fierce to work. I always get hit by the sonic boom. Weird.

Cammy vs. Guile is hell, agreed. Especially Sirlin Guile (HK flash kick, HK overhead, easy super motion, etc.). You pretty much have to make a couple of lucky guesses, and possess the skill to capitalize on them. (Guile generally appeals to players who have no balls and aren't very creative -- his game centers around inducing projectile fatigue in the opponent -- so they tend to buckle under the pressure of close range fighting.)

Cammy vs. Blanka is one of her easiest fights. It's at least 6-4 in her favor. Any character who doesn't turtle well (unfortunately not that many in this game) has an uphill battle vs. Cammy.

Your best bet against a Ken who has whiffed his super is to just air throw him. Safe, good damage, and usually puts him in or near the corner, where Cammy shines. Do it.
    "MiloDC is quite cute. I'm gay." -- Shari
    Funny you mention the Blanka match, Milo. I have HUGE issues with Blanka because of his speed and unorthodox movements. He and Bison are my worst matchups, easily.

With that said, I ditched Cammy officially and have switched to Vega.

All the best.

EDIT: Cammy's opening fierce is inconsistent. It "feels" like you need to move a squeak of a step to connect. I was able to do it today against some good Ryu's.
  • MiloDCMiloDC You betcha! Joined: Posts: 473
    Funny you mention the Blanka match, Milo. I have HUGE issues with Blanka because of his speed and unorthodox movements. He and Bison are my worst matchups, easily.

Dictator is rough (especially Sirlin Dictator).
    With that said, I ditched Cammy officially and have switched to Vega.

All the best.

Smart move, if consistently winning matches against good players (as opposed to just enjoying a good fight) is a primary objective.
    "MiloDC is quite cute. I'm gay." -- Shari
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101
    I don't see any good players losing to less-than-good claws in even a non-consistent manner...
    Blanka is very tough especially with his back hop making you whiff a cannon drill...then you eat a roll to the face....it's hard to close in on a good blanka since he has that and his neutral jump attacks have tons of priority, even stuffing thrust kick sometimes...

I heard the trick is to just walk forward while throwing in a few standing jabs after a few steps to approach him to stuff any rolls he may throw at you but I haven't tried this out yet.

I like to walk forward and cr. mk at the beginning of the match since it has more range...although vs. shotos it may be a bad idea since the startup of their fb has their hitbox waaay behind in their backfoot...I know it works against guile though, but you'll probably trade with a SB
    1. Play dishonorably
    2. Receive hatemail
    3. ???
    4. Profit
  • Coth_XCoth_X G(x) = (3/(1-3x)) - 3 - 3x - 27x^2 Joined: Posts: 4,340
    Blanka is very tough especially with his back hop making you whiff a cannon drill...then you eat a roll to the face....it's hard to close in on a good blanka since he has that and his neutral jump attacks have tons of priority, even stuffing thrust kick sometimes...

I heard the trick is to just walk forward while throwing in a few standing jabs after a few steps to approach him to stuff any rolls he may throw at you but I haven't tried this out yet.

I like to walk forward and cr. mk at the beginning of the match since it has more range...although vs. shotos it may be a bad idea since the startup of their fb has their hitbox waaay behind in their backfoot...I know it works against guile though, but you'll probably trade with a SB

I lurk here, but if you step forward and use st.lp like that, you are opening yourself up to slide too.
    "The purpose of proof is to understand, not to verify." - Arnold Ross
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/534416 <--- Coolest Game Ever!
    I lurk here, but if you step forward and use st.lp like that, you are opening yourself up to slide too.

cr. lp works just as well too and should stuff slides :)
    1. Play dishonorably
    2. Receive hatemail
    3. ???
    4. Profit
    j./st./cr. strong works wonders against Blanka. My problem is reacting fast enough to jab rolls into sweeps.
    cr. lp works just as well too and should stuff slides :)

There ya go!
    There ya go!

Ok Coth, you've just signed up to be my practice buddy ^_^
    1. Play dishonorably
    2. Receive hatemail
    3. ???
    4. Profit
    Ok Coth, you've just signed up to be my practice buddy ^_^

My blanka's only good at tick bites. I can't do his shenanigans worth crap :smile: