Chun-Li HD Remix

Comments

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Skankin, MiloDC, AKae47 and other great Chun Li players: add me on XBL I would love to play you guys to elevate my skills to the next level. I played Beef Bowl and Antagonist today and got destroyed, couldn't get a win for nothing.
  • VOLTECHVOLTECH Voltech Arcade Sticks FTW Joined: Posts: 3,040
    Beef Bowl and Antagonist know this match up very well, trust me beating them is no easy feat for anybody but good luck.
    Quality over Quantity
    voltecharcadesticks@gmail.com
    http://voltecharcadesticks.blogspot.com/
    Voltech Arcade Sticks FTW!!!
  • skankin garbageskankin garbage ARE YOU OKAY!? Joined: Posts: 961
    Is that the Chun-Li mirror match you're talking about? I'll help you in any way I can, but real talk: I'm pretty much horseshit at that matchup.
    http://jamieobeso.blogspot.com/ - My own personal insights about games; totally inspired by David Sirlin and James Chen.

"Jesus would be MAD if he had to fight Ivan Ooze."
    "*I'd* be mad if Jesus had to fight Ivan Ooze.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    It can be any matchup, I just want some good players to play against to help me get better :)
  • BlueMary69BlueMary69 If I Drown let me Sink Joined: Posts: 749
    add me online i would be happy to play :)
  • BoggleMindsBoggleMinds Joined: Posts: 335
    All good points. I agree that Chun has a massive advantage in terms of spacing and footsies, with her high priority and excellent hitboxes on her pokes, on top of her fast walking speed. See the vids of "Nuki vs Aniken" (I actually believe the Chun to be Otochun, not Nuki) recently posted on YouTube.

"My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    GGPO Handle: Gizzle
    Nice vid!!! I wish there where more like this against a good Ryu, I already own Ken ;) jk It's a good study piece though and he has excellent use of those pokes. I miss the old SBK sometimes especially when I see her escape chip damage and corner traps. Oh well at least I still got my stored super :D
    Quality over Quantity
    Here's some good matches I know of. Keep in mind that when I say 'good', I mostly mean high-level play.

Otochun Vs ShootingD, whose Ryu I think is scarier than Daigo's in ST:

Round 1: Chun
    Round 2: Ryu
    Round 3: Ryu

(Chun v Ryu starts a little after the 4-minute mark)

Fight 1

Round 3: Chun

Fight 2

Round 1: Ryu
    Round 2: Chun

Otochun Vs. Daigo, which everyone has seen before, but yeah.

Otochun Vs. Gotoh another brilliant high-level Ryu player.

Fight 1

Fight 2

Fight 3

Sure, there's plenty of losses, but what you usually see is not a Chun who just tries a bunch of stuff in vain and fails; you see a Chun that really knows how to take the fight to Ryu.

The best advice I can give to someone struggling hard with this match, is that you're never gonna feel like you COMMAND the match. You might be able to do that against Ken, but Ryu has too many ways to knock Chun down, stopping her dead in her tracks while giving Ryu a very advantageous situation. It's gonna feel like a slow climb if you're doing it right. I'll edit this post with some more later, I'm off to get dinner :P
    http://jamieobeso.blogspot.com/ - My own personal insights about games; totally inspired by David Sirlin and James Chen.

• VirtuaFighterFourVirtuaFighterFour VirtuaFighter.com Joined: Posts: 1,572
    All good points. I agree that Chun has a massive advantage in terms of spacing and footsies, with her high priority and excellent hitboxes on her pokes, on top of her fast walking speed. See the vids of "Nuki vs Aniken" (I actually believe the Chun to be Otochun, not Nuki) recently posted on YouTube.

No that's definitely Shinya 'Nuki' Ohnuki playing Chun. Otochun isn't the only top ST Chun player in Japan.

Usually Ohnuki uses black Chun, so I can see the confusion, but I've seen him use other colors as well (light blue and light green). I've seen Gian, Aniken, Daigo, and many other top player use different colors on occasion as well for whatever reason.
    VF5:FS - Akira, Jean, Wolf, Taka
    VF4/EVO/FT - Wolf, Akira, Goh, Kage, Jacky
    ST - Dictator, Hawk, Boxer, Honda, O.Hawk, Sagat, Ken, O.Boxer, Claw
    3S - Q, Gouki, Ryu III
    That's true VF4, but Nuki doesn't generally use the Light Blue color that I've ever seen. I've seen him use gray Chun in like every match I've ever seen him in.

It's not really the color that I'm referring to, although that is the most obvious aspect pointing to Otochun. The Chun player feels to me to be even better than Nuki (from all the vids of Nuki that I've watched). On top of this, Otochun usually dominates his brother from what I've seen, and based on the playstyle in these vids; the complete mastery of all her normals and supreme confidence with which he baits footsies ... well, I don't know, I'm just offering my opinion. I'm not a Chun player myself.
    "My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    Yeah, that's def true too. But, I did see some random things that I don't usually see from Otochun, like defending with Neutral J.Hp. That's the one thing that stood out as curious to me.

Still, yeah. I don't really watch Nuki for matchup tips in ST. 3S, probly. VS, yeah. ST? I'm more into Otochun, Kita, and Toujou.

• MiloDCMiloDC You betcha! Joined: Posts: 473
    Here's some good matches I know of. [...] what you usually see is not a Chun who just tries a bunch of stuff in vain and fails; you see a Chun that really knows how to take the fight to Ryu.

I'd like to see some HDR matches of these Japanese players going at it in Ryu vs. Chun-Li fights.

With Sirlin's "Chun hater" changes, this fight is significantly worse for her than it was in vanilla ST. Fake hadouken, virtually non-existent SBK reversals/escapes, decreased super damage, no :df::hk: cross-up/ambiguity, decreased lighting legs damage, increased lightning legs vulnerability, risk of getting aerial SBK when intending to do instant toe tap -- all of that adds up to give Ryu an advantage that just does not come through in videos of old ST.
    "MiloDC is quite cute. I'm gay." -- Shari
    Amen brotha! lol I think the changes that where made really hurt Chun the most in this match up and it would be nice to see how the top Japanese players deal with these changes. I have no idea if this game is catching on in Japan but I do know at least a handful of them play online. Anyway if anyone has and HDR footage it would be much appreciated :D On that note I need to get my recording setup working again ;)
    Quality over Quantity
    I'd like to see some HDR matches of these Japanese players going at it in Ryu vs. Chun-Li fights.

With Sirlin's "Chun hater" changes, this fight is significantly worse for her than it was in vanilla ST. Fake hadouken, virtually non-existent SBK reversals/escapes, decreased super damage, no :df::hk: cross-up/ambiguity, decreased lighting legs damage, increased lightning legs vulnerability, risk of getting aerial SBK when intending to do instant toe tap -- all of that adds up to give Ryu an advantage that just does not come through in videos of old ST.

If you ask me, none of these are really HUGE problems. The biggest hurdle in fighting Ryu is mounting a proper offense, and these don't affect it very much.

1. Fake Fireball - A good Ryu is faking your ass all the time, probably with other moves anyways. Ideally, you want to be in close range, and fireballs are what impede that. So, if they want to do more stuff that ISN'T actually throwing a fireball, then that's great - more opportunity for me to close the gap by walking forward.

2. SBK nerfs - Yeah, that's uncontestably bad, but none of the SBK nerfs actually make it harder for Chun to mount an offense; it makes it worse for her when she's on defense. I'll grant that it makes the match harder, but this is usually not what gets Chun killed in this match.

3. Decreased Super Damage - Definitely bad for Chun's offense; I wouldn't dare argue this.

4. DF+RH - I still think this is great. A lot of people use DF+RH for the "crossup" (it usually wasn't crossing people up in ST anyways; it was hitting low), but the mixup game you get after the tick is really wonderful, too. Just do a meaty DF+RH, land and tick with one of her punches, and then either go for the throw, a foot sweep, or bait a Shoryuken. To me, DF+RH ambiguity was not a crucial factor to this match in ST, and if you look at the videos, it's not a crucial factor to them, either.

5. Lightning Legs - Just like DF+RH, I definitely utilize it in the match, but I don't think the nerfs really affect the matchup. I never used Lightning Legs to do tons of damage, and Ryu doesn't really have any moves that can hit her out of Lightning Legs (that couldn't do it before).

• BirdsBirds Joined: Posts: 10
    Hey y'all!

I just wanted to say thanks to all you guys who have put up such great information about Chun-Li in this game. She sure is a lot different than she was in ST, and this thread is invaluable to anyone trying to learn the game. I never post on here, but I have gleamed so many tricks from this thread that I thought I owed you guys a big "thank you!"

Skankin' garbage, you in particular are the man. You post on here with quality tech like every day. THANK YOU. It's not like old times where people sandbag all their best stuff for the tournaments. You're on here handing out all your secret tips for free. Therefore, you are a gentleman.

Also thanks to: FreshOJ, jchensor (you've been doing this for years!), chunbelievable, NKI, VOLTECH, MongoloRoboKop - you guys are kickass. Thanks times a million.

I would like to share a tip, too. If you are getting crossed up, walk under and press fierce. This is a good way to keep your opponent honest, because people think they can just cross-up Chun-Li all day.
    Another tip: If you are knocked down and you are getting crossed up, block. Blocking is strong.

Cheers!

- Aaron Shapiro
  • zasszass Da 'Mizer Joined: Posts: 1,122

That's true VF4, but Nuki doesn't generally use the Light Blue color that I've ever seen. I've seen him use gray Chun in like every match I've ever seen him in.
    It's not really the color that I'm referring to, although that is the most obvious aspect pointing to Otochun. The Chun player feels to me to be even better than Nuki (from all the vids of Nuki that I've watched). On top of this, Otochun usually dominates his brother from what I've seen, and based on the playstyle in these vids; the complete mastery of all her normals and supreme confidence with which he baits footsies ... well, I don't know, I'm just offering my opinion. I'm not a Chun player myself.
    Yeah, that's def true too. But, I did see some random things that I don't usually see from Otochun, like defending with Neutral J.Hp. That's the one thing that stood out as curious to me.

Everything you guys are saying here makes me think this is the greatest chun player you've never heard of: Akishima.

Akishima:
    * Uses light blue chun
    * Has supreme mastery of normals
    * Uses neutral jump fierce
    * Taught me everything I know about chun
    * uses headstomp very effectively (often on the way up)

In my opinion, Aki is better than Otochun or Nuki. Aki is very humble and vehemently disagreed with me everytime I brought this up. But he's amazing. Definitely the best chun in the Tokyo area (Otochun is from Osaka). Akishima's chun li is like: What if the Borg played Chun Li? Perfect execution, terrifying learning and adaptive potential.

Here's an akishima video. Note his use of headstomps
    Taking shit back to the RESERVOIR
    http://tea-hawk.blogspot.com

SF2 Code v1.0: t+ c+ T+ r+(-) f g+ m+ s+ v+ M+(-) n+:++ o+ (av by Tat Guy)
    http://web.archive.org/web/19970219205915/hannibal.mit.edu/things/sf2/sf2code.txt
    Interesting stuff, zass. I've seen you mention Akishima many times in the past -- but the only vid I can remember seeing him in is the SBO 2003 mirror match against Otochun, where he had to use red Chun. On top of that, didn't he retire years ago? The vids we were discussing were recorded at Star Cup 2007 ...

After watching the series again, I'm not so sure that it couldn't be Nuki after all. Whoever the Chun player is, he is definitely freaking good, that's for sure.

www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    SUP, zass. It is definitely some interesting use of the head stomp. I do feel, tough, the hardest Chuns are the ones who favor descending aerial attacks rather than using the instant land jump. I understand that Boxer is a different match, she does not waste opportunities of delivering major damage like Chun can against shotos (and Nuki wasted a bunch of chances against Daigo), but it just has a lof of recovery, even if it often confuses people of gets them off guard. My impression is they default less to upwards head stomp (and upwards jumping short, BTW) and make some more frequent use of forward, aerial throws and combos. Those options are harder to use, but each has some advantage, being better hitboxes, more damage or dizzy potential.
    After watching the series again, I'm not so sure that it couldn't be Nuki after all. Whoever the Chun player is, he is definitely freaking good, that's for sure.
    Yeah, that match at EVO certainly had a lot of hype and tension, and there are the so many things involved not only in a tournament, but at finals.
    Yeah BoggleMinds, you're right that last I heard, Akishima retired. At least that's what they told me last time I visted Japan in '07. I guess I was hoping he came out of retirement :)

http://web.archive.org/web/19970219205915/hannibal.mit.edu/things/sf2/sf2code.txt
  • BlueMary69BlueMary69 If I Drown let me Sink Joined: Posts: 749
    Playing you last night zass i never thought about the neutral jump fierce it's actually very good!
    Neutral J.Hp is one of her best anti-air options. It has one of the best ranges of all her jumping attacks, and it's also one of the safest, because the red "vulnerable" hitbox doesn't extend outward when she does it. Very useful in certain matches like Honda or Dictator, where AA'ing them on the ground can be wonky sometimes, and it's pretty good for defending against Vega's wall dives.

Yeah that N.j.HP is awesome! I've been using it for a while now too and I like it. The hit box is huge and does way more damage and dizzy potential. I've been trying to not only find all the counter attacks for each match-up but use the most powerful and highest dizzy factor attacks Chun has. Instead of j .n.lk I use j.n.HP instead of chip damage I throw. instead of c.lk I use c.hk for my three hit combos I use j.?? s.hp. Kikoken or j.?? s.mp c.hk for the dizzy combo. Now I'm trying to master the air throw as well. If you're going to hit make it count for the most damage. I was just using what I knew worked before but now I want to make every opportunity count to the fullest :D
    If anyone has any other high dizzy or High damage attacks, strings, links, or combos please speak up.
    Quality over Quantity
  • FreshOJFreshOJ It's the God in me.. Joined: Posts: 1,485
    C'mon now, Voltech...you know what I'm going to say. :) Somebody say it for me. :)

But seriously, the only three hitter that Chun has that I think dizzies more often than the ones you mentioned is...

J.:hp:, cl.:hp: XX :hk: Lightning Legs

Of course, you have to land that j.:hp: kinda close and deep to get the combo to hit on smaller opponents, but if it hits...they're usually dizzy every time.
    Onaje Everett
    Still in S.D., representing the Almighty.
    READ MY FAQ!!! (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/939066/56195)
    Haha

Yeah that one works if you get in close. I also like J.hp cl.mk. xx m&Hk LL's because it's harder to mess up, sometimes cl.hp pushes too far away and you wiff xx ll's or they dont come out at all (but that might just be me)
    I guess what I was trying to say is I wanna just focus on her most powerful stuff I know you have it all laid out already so I'll have to do a little reading.
    Quality over Quantity
    Yeah, like Voltech I usually go for the cr. mk XX LL, because it's harder to mess up. For a cross up I'll do jump mk, cl. HP XX LL. Playing you last night I noticed you were able to do that combo from the front pretty consistently, BlueMary, that's cool. I'll have to try that more. When I do it usually the LL whiffs, I guess my spacing is wrong.

I have a question for my chun li brothers (or is it sisters). After playing Thelo a bunch of games I just gave up on ever trying to get upkicks after super, because they whiffed every time. I just figured they always missed on Honda now. But I saw BlueMary do it to a honda player, and I was really suprised!

Is there some trick to getting the upkicks to connect after super on Honda? Do other people have a hard time with it too? Or do I just suck?

PS: It was nice to play a long set with you BlueMary, I haven't played Chun in a while.. makes me realize I've been neglecting her (because Dictator is just so damn FUN). But it's bad news to neglect a tournament character. I learned that lesson at Evo when I had to pull out Vega in desperation against choi and got raped. Haha. Anyways I'd like to have more chun li practice sessions. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only chun li player left anymore. Nice to know there are others out there too. I hate, hate, hate big rooms with lots of people b/c I'm impatient. Maybe a small room with you, me, skankin, and Voltech for starters? The chun li cabal :) I'm sure we could all improve a lot

• EA MegamanEA Megaman That's what she said Joined: Posts: 841
    I have a question for my chun li brothers (or is it sisters). After playing Thelo a bunch of games I just gave up on ever trying to get upkicks after super, because they whiffed every time. I just figured they always missed on Honda now. But I saw BlueMary do it to a honda player, and I was really suprised!

Cesar is a pro at that he'd know for sure. But I think you have to use FK upkicks.
    I hate, hate, hate big rooms with lots of people b/c I'm impatient. Maybe a small room with you, me, skankin, and Voltech for starters? The chun li cabal :) I'm sure we could all improve a lot

I hear that!
  • blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072

Is there some trick to getting the upkicks to connect after super on Honda? Do other people have a hard time with it too? Or do I just suck?

How is it whiffing? Are you getting hit by the 2nd Torpedo? Are you getting a reversal attack message?

IMO there's no trick to it. If you are charged, and you block the 1st Torpedo of the Super, just do Upkicks with reversal timing (piano) on the 2nd Torpedo. I've never once missed my Upkicks or had them whiff. I piano all 3 Kicks. :tup:
    Zass I think I know what you mean, up-kicks on Honda are possible I do it all the time but I use HK to reach him. He has a strange juggle hit-box. Sometimes in the corner I'll even whiff but mid screen I can connect every time.

I'd be so down for some Chun on Chun action, I used to hate it but now I actually like it! (thats what she said) beat you to it MegaMan :P

j.mk cl.HP xx LL is a great cross up combo and seems to dizzy more as a cross up is that even possible?
    Quality over Quantity
    Concerning dizzy combos, one that I try to do more often against like whiffed reversal attacks is simply C.Mk, S/C.Hp. If this doesn't dizzy your opponent, the next hit you do certainly will (as long as you hit them in the next second or so). As for which HP to use...S.Hp is easier to link into cos the startup is much faster, but sometimes it'll whiff, because she'll do Close S.Hp and be too far away. Watch out for this when trying it against smaller characters, for example, other Chun players, haha.

Also, I love J.Hk/Hp \/ S.Hp xx Chundouken. As a variation, I do J.Hk/Hp \/ C.Mk xx Chundouken against certain characters like Guile, Blanka, and Honda, because the S.Hp xx Chundouken variation won't connect on them unless it's in the corner. Also, this combo just plain doesn't work on Chun-Li and Vega. Oh well. :/

About doing Upkicks after Honda's super, I'm pretty sure any strength of Upkicks will work; I think landing it is an issue of timing, but I don't know exactly how it works. So, thanks to not understanding it, I don't try it if I think that getting hit by the second hit will lose me the match. Alternatively (though you all might know this), EA Megaman showed me once that doing a reversal super after the second hit of Honda's super will always connect before he can block it.

As for the Chun practice room, I'd be totally down! I thought about asking Voltech if he wanted to do that, but since he's the only Chun-Li specialist on my friends list, I thought it might not be too useful. If three or four of us wanna get together, and work on matchups and stuff like that, that would be rad. Just send me a friend invite, my gamertag's on the left!

Cesar is a pro at that he'd know for sure. But I think you have to use FK upkicks.

This.

I always use :mk: tenshoukyaku against Honda's super. Never fails.
    Hey, I finally fought a Fei Long who does the :lk: chicken wing in your face all day long.

Just wanted to say, f*ck that sh!t, hopeless for Chun, jump back GTFO

k thx bye
  • Aqua SnakeAqua Snake Never Outskilled... Joined: Posts: 1,328
    Hey, I finally fought a Fei Long who does the :lk: chicken wing in your face all day long.

k thx bye

:lol:
  • Coth_XCoth_X G(x) = (3/(1-3x)) - 3 - 3x - 27x^2 Joined: Posts: 4,340

k thx bye

I agree with aqua. :rofl:

Fei still has to mix it up though, if he lands too deep, then chun can use her man length arm throw range to chuck fei in the corner.
    "The purpose of proof is to understand, not to verify." - Arnold Ross
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/534416 <--- Coolest Game Ever!
    @ Aqua Snake - I've created a monster :( lol jk you where already a beast I just happened to be there when i t all went down.

Fei is strongest when Chun is in the corner. Make him fight on your terms and you have the advantage. (easier said than done)

@ Coth_X - The mix up is still in fei's favor if you ask me pretty much anything he lands does high damage or sets him up for a combo. Chun is lucky for a poke or just an escape lol it's a scary place to be =O
    Quality over Quantity
  • Coth_XCoth_X G(x) = (3/(1-3x)) - 3 - 3x - 27x^2 Joined: Posts: 4,340
    @ Aqua Snake - I've created a monster :( lol jk you where already a beast I just happened to be there when i t all went down.

Fei is strongest when Chun is in the corner. Make him fight on your terms and you have the advantage. (easier said than done)

@ Coth_X - The mix up is still in fei's favor if you ask me pretty much anything he lands does high damage or sets him up for a combo. Chun is lucky for a poke or just an escape lol it's a scary place to be =O

I don't disagree there, but the CW still has raped recovery. If he lands too close, I'm fairly certain that pretty much everyone gets a free reversal throw. At least from my experience, that's what it feels like.
    "The purpose of proof is to understand, not to verify." - Arnold Ross
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/534416 <--- Coolest Game Ever!
    Yes, but a smart Fei player will usually avoid recovering in throw range.

To be honest I get thrown alot more than the fei player in that situation and I'm pretty good at reversal throws. Fei just has to be at the right distance, a little too far away and I'll get him. Unless he knows it and he just flame kicks me :(
    Quality over Quantity
  • Aqua SnakeAqua Snake Never Outskilled... Joined: Posts: 1,328

You did contribute a whole lot!

If it weren't for that marathon session we had, I wouldn't have figured out how to counter everything chun can do!

:pleased:
  • blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072
    alternatively (though you all might know this), ea megaman showed me once that doing a reversal super after the second hit of honda's super will always connect before he can block it.

NICE!! :clapdos:I didn't know that. That's way better than Upkicks if you have meter. :badboy: Good to know, thanks skankin.
    If he lands too close, i'm fairly certain that pretty much everyone gets a free reversal throw. At least from my experience, that's what it feels like.

Actually, nobody gets a free throw, no matter how deep Fei lands after the Flying Kick. Not even Zangief with his 3 piano punches and 11 throw frames can beat a Flame Kick with a reversal SPD after blocking the Flying Kick. And I have tried lots. Even with Hawk, no go. But if the Fei player does nothing, then yeah...he's gonna get backboned. :rofl: It's just the way Sirlin setup the new Flying Kick's recovery. Just enough recovery to be unthrowable if followed by a Flame Kick, but not enough recovery to combo.