Chun-Li HD Remix

Comments

• Guile75Guile75 Joined: Posts: 106
    Thanks guys, this is the next mountain for me to climb, i may be gone sometime...
  • SweetJohnnyVSweetJohnnyV Streets ahead! Joined: Posts: 1,981 mod
    I'm a little sad that this isn't common knowledge in here. There's a quirk with the stored supers (pretty sure it applied to Honda too in ST). Anyway, the deal is this: When you store a super you can let go of forward for a small number of frames and then hit forward again and the super will still be stored. I'm not sure what the exact number of frames are that you can do this, but it's pretty small. There are two main applications for this trick as far as I'm aware:

1. The combo you saw in that video. To do it, charge super during jump, hit your air attack, when landing QUICKLY press d/db + MK and then go back to f/df, then press kick again.

2. Fake the opponent out to make them think you don't have super stored. To do this, be completely on the other side of the screen, store super, walk halfway across the screen, QUICKLY hit d/db + LK or MK or HK then go back to f/df, then walk forward some more and hit kick to release the super. This should look like you are walking doing some footsie kick attack causing your opponent to think you didn't store super, but then suprise! you did and you nail them with it. Sadly, this trick is probably too advanced to fool most opponents. They won't even be thinking about whether you do/don't have it stored. But in high-level play, it's a useful shenanigan. It also let's you use d + MK for actual footsies while keeping your charge.

You guys got any Dhalsim tips? :wink:
    Thanks jonny.

I was just watching that stream, they just had a unique experience, the people they were playing had a complete lack of tension, they were probably on their own in their homes just trying to beat chun li, vega etc, they have probably never had to defend against so many walk up throws and psychic cannon spikes, i loved watching that.
  • evoanonevoanon FP Black Inside Joined: Posts: 431
    I was also messing with chuns stored super and did a s.forward into super combo.

Not sure if anyone would find it useful but you could also store super, walk forward and neutral jump and still walk forward and super after.

Store, walk forward, neutral jump +forward immediately and then resume walk and super when you want.

:P
  • BlueMary69BlueMary69 If I Drown let me Sink Joined: Posts: 749
    It's funny because sweetjv showed me this trick and he doesnt even main chun i do... but yes this is a good useful trick that i use alot with chun it helps trick the opponent to think that you let go of the charge by hit the low foward but then you hit it right after
  • VOLTECHVOLTECH Voltech Arcade Sticks FTW Joined: Posts: 3,040
    Like Johnny said it doesnt work at lower levels because they dont even catch it lol but at higher levels it a good trick. I found it works pretty good on lariat spamming Gief players. Here's how =D

Step 1 - Store the Super

Step 2 - Walk confidently toward Gief like you're gonna just bust it out ;)

Step 3 - as soon as you are in range couch and quickly go to either neutral or down back hit M. Kick

Step 4 - If he lariats and it hits continue to quickly go back to forward cr mk and let it fly but if it whiffs Do Not do It!

Step 5 - Turn on your mic and say "Gotcha biatch" then turtle it out for the win =P

By the way anybody ever notice how Gief makes a buck tooth beaver face when you stomp on him for the win? Cause I did =B

Truth be told SweetJV told me too. God I'm such a scrub =D
    Quality over Quantity
    voltecharcadesticks@gmail.com
    http://voltecharcadesticks.blogspot.com/
    Voltech Arcade Sticks FTW!!!
    Ok I think I mastered the walk up\jump in\standing\crouching\cross up kick into super. A lot of it has to do with the button press because it works off of negative edge. So if you time it right it correctly it will combo if you are to slow or hold the button down the super will not come out until you release the button if you are too fast the kick will be canceled before the kick hits. You can tap a punch button just after pressing the kick and release the kick with out the negative edge effect. You can also just wiggle the stick for an unlimited amount of times and still get the super to come out if you stop in the forward position. This make for a pretty cool fake out move lol

Works the same in both ST and HDR ;)
    Quality over Quantity
  • CauldrathCauldrath Joined: Posts: 617
    Leave it to VOLTECH to master any technique even somewhat involving the super. You can also jump backwards and keep your stored super for some added confusion. I was going to suggest doing some retreating jabs, but the window to keep the super stored seems too narrow for you to get any noticable backwards distance. Now if only I could figure out a way to do Neckbreaker while I have super stored.

Also, the talk of impractical combos in the Ken thread got me thinking of what the most impractical combo I could think of for Chun is. So, I challenge any of you to do a cross up (any is acceptable), backwards cl. mp, cr. lk, st. lp xx cr. lp xx super, SBK to a training mode dummy set to stand. Bonus points if you get all 13 possible hits. More if it dizzies on the 13th hit. This combo has a backwards attack, a 4-frame link, a 1-frame link, a chain cancel, a super cancel, and a specific spacing requirement for the start of it.
    My blog where I try to break games: http://cauldrath.blogspot.com/
    My videos of me trying to break games: http://www.youtube.com/user/Cauldrath
    In order to do the neck breaker into super you have to do the motion like this. Charge DB to DF+HK (neck breaker) DB to DF+(any Kick) Super =D Not technically while stored but hey it will do the job.

Also that combo was way too easy! LOL jk I'll see what I can do ;)
    Quality over Quantity
    Hi there iam trying to find some frame traps with chun li, because... i was playing snake eyes and i seemed to be constantly in block stun with whatever character he chose, thats my next mountain.

Thanks for the other advice.

Calling sf a "game" is an inefficient ineloquent insult, the makers of sf said they wanted sf world warrior to be a combat sim.
    So... are you looking for ways to do frame traps or ways to get out of frame traps? The best move to frame trap with is st. mp because it has good reach and the most frame advantage. The only problem is that it's pretty vulnerable to low attacks, so you can't just go crazy with it. You can also do frame traps with moves that don't quite link, like following a cr. lk with a cr. mk. Ending a block string with a jab fireball will let you go in for another block string if they don't avoid it somehow, as well.

If someone is doing frame traps to you, either just block, or do a move that you can either avoid their attack with (like Neckbreaker or just jumping), can hit before theirs does (st. jab is the fastest at 2 frames, with cr. jab second at 3 frames), or is invincible on start up (Upkicks or SBK).

It might help to figure out what move they are using to frame trap and how much frame advantage it gives them, and how much start up the move they are following up has. Add however many frames they have to walk forward between the attacks. Find a move that has start up less than or equal to the difference and can at least trade with their move, preferably at a damage advantage. So... 2nd move start up + frames they walk forward + 1st move active frames + 1st move recovery frames - frames of block/hit stun <= your move's start up frames
    So... are you looking for ways to do frame traps or ways to get out of frame traps? The best move to frame trap with is st. mp because it has good reach and the most frame advantage. The only problem is that it's pretty vulnerable to low attacks, so you can't just go crazy with it. You can also do frame traps with moves that don't quite link, like following a cr. lk with a cr. mk. Ending a block string with a jab fireball will let you go in for another block string if they don't avoid it somehow, as well.

If someone is doing frame traps to you, either just block, or do a move that you can either avoid their attack with (like Neckbreaker or just jumping), can hit before theirs does (st. jab is the fastest at 2 frames, with cr. jab second at 3 frames), or is invincible on start up (Upkicks or SBK).

It might help to figure out what move they are using to frame trap and how much frame advantage it gives them, and how much start up the move they are following up has. Add however many frames they have to walk forward between the attacks. Find a move that has start up less than or equal to the difference and can at least trade with their move, preferably at a damage advantage. So... 2nd move start up + frames they walk forward + 1st move active frames + 1st move recovery frames - frames of block/hit stun <= your move's start up frames

Brilliant , thank you.
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,910
    can anyone explain what to do when Zangief puts you in the corner and constantly does that jumping splash crossup thing?
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • evoanonevoanon FP Black Inside Joined: Posts: 431
    can anyone explain what to do when Zangief puts you in the corner and constantly does that jumping splash crossup thing?

If you're in the corner he shouldn't be crossing you up.

A few things you can do get out of a splash fest is a late short upkicks. Or block one splash and on the second splash neutral jump roundhouse. Lastly you could sac-throw him. Which is eating the hit, best by walking into it and then timing or mashing a throw.
  • ElkiporElkipor Joined: Posts: 43
    close st.mk well timed also might work, also an air grab, risky but at least another option
    Learned some new combos over the weekend and a few more Super shenanigans need to be tested as well. I'll try and put together a video because these things need to be seen to believed ;)

Did anybody catch the stream? I was able to pull off a few things on Justin but MongoloRobocop wasn't having it =\ BTW GG's Cesar I was a little salty after that match and don't think I ever gave you credit but you read me and I have no excuses. Every loss is a lesson learned ;) Ok well back to the lab.....
    Quality over Quantity
  • CWheezyCWheezy Joined: Posts: 889
    I saw. It seems like whenever you get super your opponent can just block because they know you will try to super no matter what.

My scouting report would be something like "Good runaway chun with good footsies, until he gets super and then tries a shenanigan no matter what"
    Learned some new combos over the weekend and a few more Super shenanigans need to be tested as well. I'll try and put together a video because these things need to be seen to believed ;)

Did anybody catch the stream? I was able to pull off a few things on Justin but MongoloRobocop wasn't having it =\ BTW GG's Cesar I was a little salty after that match and don't think I ever gave you credit but you read me and I have no excuses. Every loss is a lesson learned ;) Ok well back to the lab.....

Awesome work, great chun, very entertaining.
    I saw. It seems like whenever you get super your opponent can just block because they know you will try to super no matter what.

My scouting report would be something like "Good runaway chun with good footsies, until he gets super and then tries a shenanigan no matter what"
    Yeah it's true I do like to use that super. I'll also do that to make people think I'm just gonna throw it out then get a free throw or 2 and I should have thrown more but I wasn't willing to risk it plus he died to quickly ;)
    Awesome work, great chun, very entertaining.
    Yeah I had a few more things I wanted to do on the stream but I only got 2 matches in.

Has anyone seen the footage from the HDR finals on sunday? I haven't been able to find it, it's the match I lost vs MangoloRobocop.

P.S. I'm putting together a quick video of some of my super shenanigans since I'm home sick today. I'll post up a link here when it's done.
    Quality over Quantity
    Chun Li Super Shenanigans

Here's the I just threw together, sorry if it's a little blurry.
    Quality over Quantity
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,187
    How did you pull off those simultaneous supers in training mode?
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
    Um thats the easy part, Just do another one =P
    Quality over Quantity
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,187
    Interesting, didn't know you had enough time to charge for that.
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
    I noticed that those combos you were doing in classic mode were dizzying early and that was keeping you from doing full damage. You should be able to swap out the cl. fierce for a cl. forward to do the same damage, but less dizzy.

Oh, and speaking of dizzy, I've been doing a bit of hacking, and here's the rough amount of dizzy that Chun's moves do in ST World version, and most of these should be the same in HDR: (the range is the amount of dizzy the move adds, and the second number is the number of frames that the move adds to a timer that resets dizzy to zero when it reaches zero)

cl. lp: 0-4, 40
    cl. mp: 5-10, 60
    cl. hp: 11-15, 80
    cl. lk: 1-5, 40
    cl. mk: 6-11, 60
    cl. hk: 10-15, 80
    cr. lp: 0-4, 40
    cr. mp: 6-10, 60
    cr. hp: 11-15, 80
    cr. lk: 1-4, 40
    cr. mk: 5-11, 60
    cr. hk: 6-10, 130
    st. lp: 0-4, 40
    st. mp: 6-11, 60
    st. hp: 11-15, 80
    st. lk: 0-5, 40
    st. mk: 7-11, 60
    st. hk: 11-16, 80
    Neckbreaker: 11-15, 80
    Flip Away Kick: 0-5, 50 (no longer exists)
    neutral j. lp: 1-6, 40
    neutral j. mp: 6-10, 50
    neutral j. hp: 12-17, 60
    neutral j. lk: 1-7, 40
    neutral j. mk: 6-11, 50
    neutral j. hk: 10-16, 80
    Head Stomp: 2-8, 60
    diagonal j. lp: 2-6, 40
    diagonal j. mp: 6-10, 50
    diagonal j. hp: 12-16, 60
    diagonal j. lk: 1-7, 40
    diagonal j. mk: 6-11, 50
    diagonal j. hk: 11-16, 60
    Kikkoken 8-12, 90
    Lightning Legs: 5-11, 100 (explicitly lowered)
    Spinning Bird Kick 7-13, 90 (likely changed because the move is so different)
    Upkicks: 0-4, 20
    Super: 0-2, 20
    Throw: 7-13, 100
    Not sure what to make of the numbers yet but thanks

I can probably work that out, I've done cr.mk to cl.mk into super but on a cross up it might be a little tricky besides I don't mind a dizzy if it takes off 90% of their power ;) The full combo will hit a dizzied opponent and that means certain death =D
    Quality over Quantity
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,168
    Lol, voltech check out the SSF2T classic thread under things you don't know about ST. He explains all the numbers there.

actually I should come here more often. I just visited cuz I thought I'd see you on here. Good games today by the way. It was a bit laggy, Had a whole bunch of rollbacks at least on my side... =( usually it's not so bad for me, Dunno what happened today, most of my games were laggy... )

We should play again sometime. I got lots of experience against good chuns from classic ST, but almost none in HDR. Her new SBK arc throws me off, both when I do it, and others do it to me... and every time I did the air SBK close to the ground, it was an accident, although they happened to work a few times xD. (usually comes out when I try to j. lk for anti air =( , or jump back lk ... )
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.

Best option is to stay just outside of his sweep range and mk. rh. (keep sweeping and anti air with these... sometimes a j fierce just to mix things up...) If he manages to get close enough so that his splash causes problems, you're likely to eat at least one SPD.

Even if it trades, I think it's better for you even if you take more damage since it keeps gief at bay. and you don't end with a guessing game... you have the advantage in the match as long as gief is out.
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
    Yeah hey GG's

It's funny cause in Classic St the SBK throws me off and feels less useful but I do like her Super damage and Up Kick damage better in ST.
    Quality over Quantity
  • CWheezyCWheezy Joined: Posts: 889
    I think maybe you use super too much? If like your opponent has a good scouting report on you might take you out easy eh?

I dunno, you are pretty good so like don't stop doing what works haha
    Yeah hey GG's

It's funny cause in Classic St the SBK throws me off and feels less useful but I do like her Super damage and Up Kick damage better in ST.

it is ALOT less useful in ST. mainly for reversals to escape. during some of my missed reversals I figured out some of it's uses... chun li ACTUALLY has a decent non-normal anti air now! whoo~ crazy safe if they're at the end of the arc... although I don't have the spacing down pat yet... but what do you expect, i've only been playing for a couple weeks. Chun feels pretty much the same except you have to work a bit harder cuz of less damage on LL and super...

I REALLY gotta get used to jumping without accidentily setting off the air SBK =/ darn that new motion...

When I saw you using the air SBK after footstomp... WOW. chun got some runaway now!
    Don't tell anyone, but option select throw right when you land beats using SBK as an anti-air.
    I ment when I use SBK early, not late...does that not work? ... If Late then upkicks is the best... (but it's easy to safe jump... maybe I should do it SLIGHTLY earlier...) ... Or use a different kick...? ... I usually use short... or piano.
    By early, do you mean meeting them in the air with it? That works to some extent, but it doesn't have very good air to air priority and it doesn't start attacking until you're pretty high up. I do use it when I think someone is going to jump, but the main reason to do that is because it does more damage than, say, j. fierce, and it will hit them even if they didn't jump, making it a little safer if you aren't sure what they will do. It doesn't have a chance against any decent air-to-air move, though, so don't use it against someone whose air-to-ground and air-to-air attacks are the same move that stays out the whole time. So, don't SBK against Fei, T. Hawk, or Dictator as an air-to-air. There are other reasons to do it, though, like countering Flame Kicks, Hawk Dive, or Head Stomp, or moving forward with a charge.

I really like the new SBK, but you've got to know exactly when to use it and can get punished hard for doing it at the wrong time.
    Voltech: I used to be like you. All about the super gimmicks and using them first chance I get. I've been laying off them for the past ... I don't know 6 months or so (classic ST, I've only been playing HDR for a month...) It's because I realized (and so did many other people) neutral jump for most characters beats the super. (I jumped each time unless I couldn't, until you caught on.) and many better players will do just that. The super is still good, I'm very trigger happy still, just not as much as you are (anymore). and I think you'll come to this realization and lay off (a bit) too... (usually I test out a player and abuse the hell out of it if they fail the test)

But then again, I havn't seen your stream or videos. I'm just judging by what I saw you do when I was playing and people's comments on this thread...
    Well here you go lol YouTube - VOLTECH01's Channel
    I know I'm a little Super happy these days but it's just fun for me to find new ways to use it and in places people might not expect. I'm even working on a reverse stored super so I can block with it stored and on crossup release it LOL Still needs testing though.
    Quality over Quantity
    That definitely works, I do it all the time.
    So let me know if we are on the same page.

Hold forward 2 clicks (Toward the other player) do a super motion backwards ending on back, when the other player jumps over me I have a stored super. Hit kick and out comes a super. Does that work or am I just crazy?
    Quality over Quantity
    Normally I just do the super motion towards them, then switch when they cross up. Technically you should be able to charge back, then jam left/right really fast, eventually ending in towards and have the super stored. You could even piano some kick buttons while alternating left/right and get the super to come out no matter which side they are on if you do it right, but with only a 50/50 chance of it being reversal if executed perfectly. Also remember that moves will go the wrong direction a few frames after you've switched sides with your opponent, so if they do a really tight cross up your super will go the wrong way.
    Yeah thats how I do it now and why the other way is just theory until proven otherwise. I'd say I get the right direction about 80% of the time. You don't want to try and cross me up when I have super cause I'm just waiting for that ;)
    Quality over Quantity
    So let me know if we are on the same page.

Hold forward 2 clicks (Toward the other player) do a super motion backwards ending on back, when the other player jumps over me I have a stored super. Hit kick and out comes a super. Does that work or am I just crazy?

no, that doesn't work... if you hold forward it won't count as a charge.

you have to do it normally, but you end on back and then decide which way to block and then hold forward RIGHT after you've blocked. and your super will still be stored.

Also if you're feeling lucky, you can just charge, and as they jump just swing the stick violently, hope you manage to block, then hold forward to store the charge... ( I do this one by accident lots when I'm under ALOT of pressure)