AWRIGHT! A Deejay Thread!

Comments

• SG10xSG10x Blanka Sucks Joined: Posts: 402
    Maybe I'm a bit too optimistic? Possibly. But I'm a problem solver. That's what I do. I think I have a few things that help tilt the scale. I'd love to chat with you sometime and share a small writeup I've been working on. It's Blanka specific and it introduces some ideas that might make you rethink a few matchups. :-)

Yeah let me know, I actually am waiting for Fudd to post the videos of the session we had at David Sirlin's to get some feedback from all of the Blanka players. I have one big thing that is bothering me against Fei that I need help getting around. We gotta revamp the Blanka thread man nobody posts there anymore. I am not in school now so i have alot of time to try stuff out or look at these forums
  • 10000 Volts10000 Volts Joined: Posts: 54
    Ok, try and turtle out a lifelead against the Deejays SG10x/BTC mentioned.

Who said anything about turtling?
    XBL Tag: I0000 Volts
    Substitute the number 1 for the letter I
  • SG10xSG10x Blanka Sucks Joined: Posts: 402
    Why does Blanka have to trip DeeJay to gain momentum? All Blanka has to do is have more life bar left over when the counter hits zero.

You can't force Blanka to do anything. You can make it seem like "maybe" he should do something.

Sound crazy? Maybe.

Works for me. :-)

haha, its harder to not do anything when you have fireballs coming at you which if you can't dodge for 99 sec will chip you, but you can't easily just do a ball and chip deejay cuz he turtles like its going out of style
  • FulaaniFulaani Of terrorist descent Joined: Posts: 2,555
    ugh, I'm done with this. come back when you've played the DJs mentioned.

SG10x I'm always up for some Blanka talk. lemme find the thread.
    zoning took an indefinite hiatus
    ugh, I'm done with this. come back when you've played the DJs mentioned.

SG10x I'm always up for some Blanka talk. lemme find the thread.

Unfortunately, I have not played those DeeJay players but I did play one guy named Yuu Vega DJ. He was very good but I was able to do what I said.... more than once.
    I know you haven't thats why I said come back.
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,212
    Why trip? Because Dee-Jay can use projectiles to zone Blanka. This forces Blanka to advance forward all the time, and if he can't get a knockdown then he'll be eating cr. mp.

EDIT: 10,000 Volts - What do you think Blanka's bad matchups are? Where would you rank him on the tier list? I'm curious.
  • EmpirioNEmpirioN Joined: Posts: 71
    DJ is right behind Boxer as Blankas worst match. And turtling on DJ? That won't be easy when dealing with a character that can out turtle you, throwing max outs at you all day while keeping his charge for his anti air.
    It ain't easy being green
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    Pokes with DeeJay or any char are no good if they do not connect. DeeJays pokes can be nullified

As far as this back-and-forth between you and Fulaani regarding pokes is concerned: I think you're both right.
    Fulaani is saying that though a poke can whiff, it occupies space (in front of you and in your opponent's mind) that may not deal damage, but still hold down a zone.
    10K is saying that the commitment to a poke can be exploited. I'm thinking by punishing its recovery. I admit that BTC's gotten me before with a jump-in while I mashed c. strong.

I kind of regret bumping this thread back up since it's starting to revolve more around Blanka than Dee Jay :rofl:
    But as long as it sparks discussion and no one gets their panties in a twist, I'm not tripping. (Though there is a designated Blanka thread :arazz:)

I'll have those videos up soon. It always takes a while when I record several hours.
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    Blanka is the only character that matters, the other characters are only there so we don't have to play mirrors all the time.
    As far as this back-and-forth between you and Fulaani regarding pokes is concerned: I think you're both right.
    Fulaani is saying that though a poke can whiff, it occupies space (in front of you and in your opponent's mind) that may not deal damage, but still hold down a zone.
    10K is saying that the commitment to a poke can be exploited. I'm thinking by punishing its recovery. I admit that BTC's gotten me before with a jump-in while I mashed c. strong.

I kind of regret bumping this thread back up since it's starting to revolve more around Blanka than Dee Jay :rofl:
    But as long as it sparks discussion and no one gets their panties in a twist, I'm not tripping. (Though there is a designated Blanka thread :arazz:)

I'll have those videos up soon. It always takes a while when I record several hours.

Oh, my bad. I totally derailed this DeeJay thread. Sorry about that. I'll continue the topic over at the Blanka thread.
  • geogeo Official Contrarian Joined: Posts: 1,291
    10,000 at this point you're reminding me of one of those 'motivational speakers' who is all talk but no substance. Why did you come into this thread?

If you have something, show it (blitzfu is right - the burden of proof is on you). If you don't have anything to share, please stop trolling.
    Just one example of ST fundamentalism on dontblowthis.com: "HDR is just another game with no relation to the Street Fighter II series" - riz0ne
    10,000 at this point you're reminding me of one of those 'motivational speakers' who is all talk but no substance. Why did you come into this thread?

If you have something, show it (blitzfu is right - the burden of proof is on you). If you don't have anything to share, please stop trolling.

Geo, I was simply trying to open up some eyes when it comes to the matchup issues that players say they have. I don't mean to get all Tony Robbins up in here but I simply don't accept the status quo when it comes to perceived matchup problems.

I'll be more than happy to demonstrate many of the things I've talked about vs any character. Would you like to spar a bit sometime?
  • Avatar ZAvatar Z Joined: Posts: 9
    Hey guys, I'm a Dee Jay in training and I need help with one of his combos:

meaty close fierce (both hits), crouch roundhouse

So far I got it to work in training mode against everyone except Chun Li, Sagat, and Dictator. Also, when I do it against Ryu, Claw, and Fei Long, I get all three hits + knockdown, but the combo counter says "2 Hit Combo."

1. Is this combo really ineffective vs certain characters, or am I just doing it wrong and it's supposed to work against everyone?

2. What's with the combo counter saying "2 Hit Combo" when I landed all three hits? I'm testing this by setting the dummy to Auto Block and throwing him in the corner before I do the meaty (so he doesn't auto-block the first hit as he gets up). Maybe my test method is wrong, I don't know.

3. Any general tips on landing this more consistently?

Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks.
    </firstSRKpost>
    Thank you, Avatar Z. But our princess is in another castle.
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    Hey guys, I'm a Dee Jay in training and I need help with one of his combos:

meaty close fierce (both hits), crouch roundhouse

So far I got it to work in training mode against everyone except Chun Li, Sagat, and Dictator. Also, when I do it against Ryu, Claw, and Fei Long, I get all three hits + knockdown, but the combo counter says "2 Hit Combo."

1. Is this combo really ineffective vs certain characters, or am I just doing it wrong and it's supposed to work against everyone?
    Definitely doesn't work vs Claw & Chun. Didn't bother testing the rest of your list.
    2. What's with the combo counter saying "2 Hit Combo" when I landed all three hits? I'm testing this by setting the dummy to Auto Block and throwing him in the corner before I do the meaty (so he doesn't auto-block the first hit as he gets up). Maybe my test method is wrong, I don't know.
    Auto-block in HDR is defective. Maj tested this.
    3. Any general tips on landing this more consistently?
    Considering it doesn't combo against some characters...
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • Avatar ZAvatar Z Joined: Posts: 9
    Didn't know that HDR auto-block is broken, thanks for letting me know.

Maybe I should abandon this combo in favour of something more reliable, like close forward, crouch roundhouse.
    Thank you, Avatar Z. But our princess is in another castle.
    I like close forward as a meaty because even on block it forces a 50/50 mixup between throw and sweep/slide.
    Claw, Chun, and Blanka are strange characters to land combos on. And although Dee Jay is a man of many combos, some are just more useful than others.

I also had no idea auto block was defective.
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
  • BruceLBBruceLB THE KITTEN PAJAMAS Joined: Posts: 509
    I also had no idea auto block was defective.

Me either. Although I've probably spent all of 2 hours in HDR training mode.

Lately I've been mixing up meaty st. forward, cr. fp xx short sobat on wake up in the corner. This combo does good damage and knocks down again.

I used to never meaty because top players are so consistent with reversals, but the risk vs. reward factor in this situation i think is pretty good. Plus I've found that it has added even more options to my mixup game in the corner. What I like to do against someone who's really good at reversals is time the meaty st. forward so that it whiffs at the last second and block their reversal and punish.
    powerbiast: and no losers both of us are winners cause we learned
    Fake meaties are great when timed right and successfully baiting. Sirlin mentioned to me a while back that Japanese players almost never do meaties and I didn't even really notice it until he said that. Instead, they safe jump.
    Super Turbo Revival
    Fake meaties are great when timed right and successfully baiting. Sirlin mentioned to me a while back that Japanese players almost never do meaties and I didn't even really notice it until he said that. Instead, they safe jump.

If you have the timing and spacing down some match-ups can have safe meaties. The best known example is probably T. Hawk standing jab against Chun Li, but there are others, especially against characters like Boxer with slow reversals, or Blanka who's reversals have low priority.
  • scarsofzsaszscarsofzsasz Hunter Smith Joined: Posts: 221
    started a new SRK group for DeeJay players, its called Dread Kicks and Jerk Chicken
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,624
    DJ's matchups (too lazy to go into why right now) vs:

shotos 4-6
    honda 7-3
    blanka 7-3
    guile 4.5-5.5
    boxer 4-6
    chun 6-4
    geif 7-3
    sim 4-6
    sagat 4.5-5.5
    claw 4-6
    hawk 6-4
    fei 6-4
    cammy 6-4
    dic 6-4
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • KayrohKayroh Joined: Posts: 881
    New Deejay player here. I hope im not Necroing. Back to lurking
    "Fuck the Earth, Wind and Fire, Bitch. Fuck The Elements... And Captain Planet"
  • CWheezyCWheezy Joined: Posts: 889
    I like close forward as a meaty because even on block it forces a 50/50 mixup between throw and sweep/slide.
    I think it also recovers in like 1 frame, it is a ballin move
    If you have the timing and spacing down some match-ups can have safe meaties. The best known example is probably T. Hawk standing jab against Chun Li, but there are others, especially against characters like Boxer with slow reversals, or Blanka who's reversals have low priority.

Why would you ever risk getting caught in Boxer's head-butt loop by trying to meaty him?
    Just one example of ST fundamentalism on dontblowthis.com: "HDR is just another game with no relation to the Street Fighter II series" - riz0ne
    Why would you ever risk getting caught in Boxer's head-butt loop by trying to meaty him?

It's pure theory fighter, but it seems like some of Dee Jay's normals (like cr. strong) would be able to poke from outside throw range.
    I love his cr.strong! But on general principle I don't meaty people who have nasty near loops like Boxer, Sim, etc.
  • mad possummad possum Joined: Posts: 1,091
    It's pure theory fighter, but it seems like some of Dee Jay's normals (like cr. strong) would be able to poke from outside throw range.

DJ can't combo into anything off of the cr.strong so I don't know if the risk is worth the reward. A safe jump against Boxer I could see, you could follow it with a big combo if it hits, if blocked you can still follow with the combo to push him back safely. I still think you might be better just jumping away to play the zoning game again. I don't know, I get a big grin when a DeeJay tries to pressure Honda on wake-up.
    GGPO name : madpossum
    DJ can't combo into anything off of the cr.strong so I don't know if the risk is worth the reward.

You're probably right about the risk/reward thing. Though DJ does have things that combo after the crouching strong like crouching forward. (TBH I suspect that max-range crouching forward is a better choice if you're going to try to do the meaty thing since it will set up a safe jump opportunity.)
  • KayrohKayroh Joined: Posts: 881
    Are there any Deejay players online? This thread is kind of dead =/
    "Fuck the Earth, Wind and Fire, Bitch. Fuck The Elements... And Captain Planet"
  • JigglyNorrisJigglyNorris The Low Tier Hero Joined: Posts: 1,279
    Are we out of solid DeeJay players now? I haven't played any good ones in months.
  • PoretPoret 12 yr old scrub on XBL Joined: Posts: 155
    Are we out of solid DeeJay players now? I haven't played any good ones in months.

You're forgetting me ;). Nah I kid but I'm trying to level up.
    XBL: ThatKidPoret
  • Big OBig O Joined: Posts: 366
    I'd like to think I'm okay with DJ. Somehow his easy MU's are harder than his hard MU's for me lol. Honda and Fei in particular usually just don't go so well. With Honda it's getting grabbed to death after blocking or getting hit with a buttslam. With Fei it's failing to stop CW (a lot of the time I end up blocking at the last second while trying to upkick).

Mostly I just bust him out in ranked when I notice it's a classic room or in a player match once in a while. Any tips on how to deal with those MU's?
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,624
    I'm confident bringing my DJ to any tourney but I'm focusing on sagat only until after evo. count fuddulous and Bruce Askew who says taught fudd don't play hdr anymore much if at all so afro is the only one left and I think he uses boxer exclusively now.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • KacomKacom Joined: Posts: 268
    I'd like to think I'm okay with DJ. Somehow his easy MU's are harder than his hard MU's for me lol. Honda and Fei in particular usually just don't go so well. With Honda it's getting grabbed to death after blocking or getting hit with a buttslam. With Fei it's failing to stop CW (a lot of the time I end up blocking at the last second while trying to upkick).

Mostly I just bust him out in ranked when I notice it's a classic room or in a player match once in a while. Any tips on how to deal with those MU's?

Honda is easy. Jumping jab will help you out A LOT! Jump back jab at round start = Honda's death. Make sure you throw max outs at far distances and only throw close ones when you KNOW that they wont do anything. If Honda is getting too close double tap Cr. jab, and if he's close enough for a throw... MASH THAT CR. STRONG. Obviously you know what to do if he jumps. Also I'd count down when you're close to Honda because after just a wittle bit it's smart to jump back jab. (Don't be too obvious about it, mix it up.)

When you're cornered don't be scared. Jump back jab will save you once or twice. Same with the whole mash Cr.jab/Mp thing.

Another thing, Cr. jab NE ochio (meaty) is an extremely safe tool Vs Dee Jay(super and counter throw is your options). Verses any actual good Honda they will do this as much as possible. That being said don't get knocked down.

Also Honda can safe jump Deejay after HP and HK holds. (not too close to the corner though.) NEVER try to up kick unless you KNOW he is in the wrong position to safe jump. HE WILL MAKE YOU PAY! How to prevent this? After his safe jump Honda will most likely try throw, or Cr.lk hands that will lead to a ochio set up. What you have to do is block high and then low. If Cr.lk doesn't come out and you see he's about to throw/just sitting there waiting.... JUMP BACK JAB!!!!! <--- broken ass shit

Oh and MU? Only use this vs Honda after a cross up. (cross up Mk, cr jab [x1 or x2], cr.lk into MU.) This will do work on any scrub Honda =] Guaranteed!! (They're always mashing)
    About that cross up though. Only time it will be safe to cross up Honda is when you knock him down fairly close to you. The thing is if you're playing the match extra niiiice you probably won't be close enough for it at all.

Abuse cross up vs inexperienced Hondas though. That's a given! =P

Vs. Fei I can only help you out to an extent. Jumping jab works greatly and just practice on up kicks + charge buffering. Don't be afraid to throw max outs, but don't over do it. AA St.Mp is good too.
    Thanks for all the tips, especially about the safe jump bit and jump back jab. I kept trying to reversal upkicks after the HP/HK grabs and I see now that's not a good idea. Also when I said MU I meant matchup.
    Thanks for all the tips, especially about the safe jump bit and jump back jab. I kept trying to reversal upkicks after the HP/HK grabs and I see now that's not a good idea. Also when I said MU I meant matchup.

That's my lazy reading and comprehension skills at work.:cool: Glad I could help!
    Honda can actually grab you again after the safe jump (after the grab) before you can jump away. The safe jump roundhouse puts him just outside his throw range and he can take a half step and throw from his max range just as DJ is coming out of block stun. Pre-jump frames are throwable in SF2. DJ can't reversal (lost his down charge when he blocked the j.roundhouse and Honda is outside DJ's throw range) without super, his only choices are to take the hit from the j.HK and then sac-throw (and hope Honda doesn't combo) or just keep mashing out of the throws until you get close to the corner (can't safejump after grab anymore).

It does take really good timing to time the safe jump and the throw (have to throw from exactly max. range and the second he gets out of block stun, too early and you get a normal, too late and DJ can escape). But certain Honda players that like cheap, easy wins (especially against hard match-ups) go into practice mode and practice the timing a lot. :)
  • 3pwood3pwood Mighty Pirate Joined: Posts: 226
    Yeah, I"ve been caught in that loop before. Lately I've been wondering if it might be possible to get out of it by doing a reversal MGU on the safe jump. The theory being that you could "dodge" the safe jump with the 4-6 frames of high invulnerability and then make him block the MGU. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, though.
  • ShariShari Overestimated. Joined: Posts: 2,617
    I am not sure if i have said this before but why does not Deejay players more often use MGU against walldives on wakeup ?
    Haunts: Is it lag or just impeccable footsies and spacing, I don't know.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
    Yeah, I"ve been caught in that loop before. Lately I've been wondering if it might be possible to get out of it by doing a reversal MGU on the safe jump. The theory being that you could "dodge" the safe jump with the 4-6 frames of high invulnerability and then make him block the MGU. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, though.

Interesting idea, but I think Honda would be to far away after the safe jump for the MGU to touch him and he could still throw him out of the MGU from his max throw range. It might work, though, it might at least throw the Honda player off and make him hesitate before trying the throw, letting DJ out.

As far as MGU'ing Vega's wall dive - does MGU hit behind DJ? Couldn't Vega just cross him up with the wall dive? Or at least do it from a range where they could throw DJ out of the MGU?
    I am not sure if i have said this before but why does not Deejay players more often use MGU against walldives on wakeup ?

Vega's too good so why try to beat him?

Also jumping jab is still one of, if not the, best thing to do vs after safe jump. I doubt machine gun upper will work.
  • CWheezyCWheezy Joined: Posts: 889

His head is vulnerable
    Is there a list anywhere (or can someone create one) of all the safe setups Honda has? (I realize I should probably ask this in the Honda forum, but there seems to be some Honda discussion happening here.)

I main Dictator and it seems like for Honda there are lots of situations where I'm at a disadvantage:

- I block a buttstomp -> get thrown or keep getting buttstomped
    - I get caught in bear grab -> they safe jump on me
    - I jump back -> get headbutted
    - I walk towards or stand still -> hand slap
    - I jump in -> ochio

The only time I can seem to hit them is rapid st.jab against headbutts (which is just a reset), random jab psycho crusher, or st.kicks against hands but it's not a good trade if it trades.

Any ideas?
  • ShariShari Overestimated. Joined: Posts: 2,617
    His head is vulnerable

Upkicks whiff.

Head is only hittable at the same that his mid body is an entire red box.

On startup only the feet is hittable.

It's a better option than upkicks and forces Claw to only use walldives that pass directly above deejay and even then can whiff against the upper body invul it has on startup.
    Haunts: Is it lag or just impeccable footsies and spacing, I don't know.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
    Is there a list anywhere (or can someone create one) of all the safe setups Honda has? (I realize I should probably ask this in the Honda forum, but there seems to be some Honda discussion happening here.)

I main Dictator and it seems like for Honda there are lots of situations where I'm at a disadvantage:

- I block a buttstomp -> get thrown or keep getting buttstomped
    - I get caught in bear grab -> they safe jump on me
    - I jump back -> get headbutted
    - I walk towards or stand still -> hand slap
    - I jump in -> ochio

The only time I can seem to hit them is rapid st.jab against headbutts (which is just a reset), random jab psycho crusher, or st.kicks against hands but it's not a good trade if it trades.

Any ideas?

In Dic vs Honda you have to really read your opponent.

After BS, block and see what he is doing. Hands should come out instantly and it's only really smart to headbutt after BS when Dic is in the corner. Jumping back is a good option if you know the Honda won't do anything to stop you from doing so.

Verses safe jump: Honda can safe jump the crap out of Dic. A lot of Hondas tend to go for hands and throw after, as they should. In HDR it's pretty easy to react to what Honda follows up with. After safejump block low. If you see him walk up jump back.

Also when in a certain position Honda can cross up RH after HP throw. It takes good practice to react to the cross up.

Don't forget to abuse Dic's buffs in HDR.They make the match pretty even. Devils reverse on wake up is one example. Not good if the Honda is crossing up though XD

After you get a knock down you should try TOD almost every time. I also recommend learning how to do the cross up. Most people just block regular against TOD, but if you learn how to cross up that's a round for you.

A well timed jump back at round start can win you a round. If Honda headbutts hit that crap with a combo. It will dizzy...

A lot of Hondas can't play this match for shit but still manage to win. That being said there is a lot of things that Honda has to beat Dic that no one knows about. Like I said before this match requires reading how the Honda plays.

Did you know Honda can counter Dic's super with a well timed move(not a jumping attack)? Mk buttslam will kill that shit up close and it's smart for Honda to Lp HB, or super at full screen. A LOT of people don't know this so abuse it vs Hondas that don't. Just don't allow them to throw you after. Make it so you land in front and can MK after.

Honda can also HB/super slow moving PCs and HP PCs get you thrown. Only use Pc if you think a jump is coming or if you see him trying to counter Headstomps by jumping around.(It takes timing to hit him of course)

You greatest fear as a Dic player is a Honda that waits until the right moment. Headstomps will be hit with HB, and Devils reverses will be blocked. This will put the Honda in the right position for adding pressure and mix ups.

If you want to know something in specific message me or whatever. I feel bad talking about Dic + Honda in a Dee Jay thread. =P
  • blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072
    MGU does have upper invincibility. It can trade with crossup Tatsu consistently (vs Ryu both characters get knocked down, vs Ken only Ken gets knocked down). Not many DJ players use it, I have only seen Fudd do this. I can see MGU trading with the Wall Dive if done as a reversal. IDK if it'll work, but that's a pretty good option if it can be done consistently, as Vega will be knocked down, but DJ won't be knocked down (in HDR anyway).

Anybody know if reversal MGU can beat meaty fireballs?

Could be good vs safe jumps too, IDK.

mgpjab2.png
    In my experience meaty fireballs tend to beat reversal MGU, although sometimes it does work. I know the hitboxes are different depending on how fast you mash, so that may be why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
  • PoretPoret 12 yr old scrub on XBL Joined: Posts: 155
    I have a Super Turbo replay of me using MGU to counter one of Vega's walldives. It was a very clutch victory (and I actually didn't mean to do it lol). I'll try to get that up soon. Should work similarly in HDR.
    XBL: ThatKidPoret