AWRIGHT! A Deejay Thread!

Comments

• FulaaniFulaani Of terrorist descent Joined: Posts: 2,555
    Send me a friend request, I play a little Deejay on the side. I can show you some combos and tactics.

I'll be on tonight.
    zoning took an indefinite hiatus
  • PoretPoret 12 yr old scrub on XBL Joined: Posts: 155
    So I've been playing Deejay for awhile now and I'd say I definitely improved. For the most part I know when to use his normals and specials like the back of my hand. I know some matchups too.

The one matchup I've been having some trouble with is Sim. When he does his head drill I usually use s. strong or s. fierce but it works maybe 25% of the time. I also can get in some counter throws afterwards but thats like 25% too. I trade with his limbs using c. strong and that seems to do well. I have a lot of trouble getting in though it seems he's either zoning me or rushing me down. Any tips for this matchup.

On a side note if anyone wants to play me in a Deejay mirror that would be great, I want to see how where I'm at on a competitive level.
    XBL: ThatKidPoret
  • MackdaddiMackdaddi The Great Dictator Joined: Posts: 754
    Yep you immediately move from :uf: immediately to :db: or :l: position depending on what you plan on doing.

Sorry to nitpick, but i would always use :db: or :df: to charge in mid jump, to keep your options open, not just :l: or :r:. You'll have charge for any special move with any charge character no matter what happens if you do that, whereas if you only hold :l: or :r: and something unforeseen happens you might be missing a charge for a down to up charge special that you could have used. The only time i can think of where you would hold back instead of diagonal down back is if you were jumping in with a character that had a "down plus kick or punch" move, like honda's MK splash, and you wanted an MK in mid air instead of a splash.

Plans change, so cover all your options. Playing with chargers as opposed to shotos etc is a different mindset tactically because of the availability of special moves instantly versus having to prepare (charge) for them. Make sure you have as much of your special move arsenal available to you at all times when playing charge characters, and practise snapping the joystick to the jump position then instantly back to the diagonal charge position every time you jump, and also look for ways to advance without losing charge (slides, knee lunges, etc). After a while charging while doing other stuff will be just second nature. I play both types of characters but exclusively charge characters in ST/HDR, and I can't count the number of joysticks and pads i've gone through over the years by wearing the diagonals out from constantly charging :db: and :df:
    これはあなたの墓があります......This place shall become your grave
  • zenzenzenzen heartfelt fancy Joined: Posts: 3,489
    Hey, I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some basic Deejay 'instructions' as I've recently got my live working again and thus HDR. Have been offline for too many months now (routers given to you by providers suck). I'd just like a few BNB combo's and or metagame tips because I'm getting my ass handed to me online. Not that I'm a complete scrub, I just haven't played HDR for ages (the stamina of the cast is LOW! :|)let alone a Deejay. Who I'm plannong on playing a lot with as his huge smile makes me feel all warm and tingly on the inside.

cross up j. forward, c. jab x2, s. strong xx rh dread kicks
    cross up j. forward, c. jab, c. short xx mgu
    cross up j. forward, c. jab x2 c. short xx rh upkicks
    cross up j. forward, c. short, s. short, s. strong xx rh dread kicks

good blockstrings include

s. strong, c. roundhouse
    c. jab, s. strong, c. short

good AAs are s. strong, s. fierce, s. roundhouse, c. strong, c. fierce, c. roundhouse, and all versions of upkicks.

c. forward works as a good AA and all around move vs Claw.
    j. jab beats basically all of Honda's moves.
    s. strong and s. fierce work well against Chun and Dictator.
    c. strong beats a lot of pokes like shoto's c. forward and guile's c. forward.
    DJ has probably the best normals in the game, so use them.
    j. jab has stupid priority, use it
    DJ can turtle well and rush down decently.

stupid trick with DJ: kara cancel his c. roundhouse for distance (you can kara cancel his specials, like his fireball)
    <dominos> what 2d isn't real?
    <AlterGenesis-X> my world is over
    <Stabby> "come back when you lose a few dimensions"
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    Sorry to nitpick, but
    Here's a counter-nitpick
    The only time i can think of where you would hold back instead of diagonal down back is if you were jumping in with a character that had a "down plus kick or punch" move, like honda's MK splash

...or Dee Jay's knee shot?
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT
  • PoretPoret 12 yr old scrub on XBL Joined: Posts: 155
    Anybody notice that Deejay's s. fierce has the same animation as his max-out? Perhaps it can be used as sort of a fake fireball? I haven't tried it anough yet to see its effectiveness.
    XBL: ThatKidPoret
  • MurderbydeathMurderbydeath Joined: Posts: 906
    Anybody notice that Deejay's s. fierce has the same animation as his max-out? Perhaps it can be used as sort of a fake fireball? I haven't tried it anough yet to see its effectiveness.

I use it for this very sparingly. It really does throw people off, but you can't whore it, as the max out and s.fierce come out at noticeably different speeds.
  • Homer PimpsonHomer Pimpson Questionable Joined: Posts: 1,179

Yes, that is a pretty common tactic. It is somewhat effective as long as you space yourself properly. Just make sure you try and stay at a distance where if they were to jump over your MO fake, they would land onto your standing fierce. Just be careful with it, don't fall into predictable patterns.
    GGPO: MrSimpson
  • EA MegamanEA Megaman That's what she said Joined: Posts: 841
    I use it for this very sparingly. It really does throw people off, but you can't whore it, as the max out and s.fierce come out at noticeably different speeds.
    Yes, that is a pretty common tactic. It is somewhat effective as long as you space yourself properly. Just make sure you try and stay at a distance where if they were to jump over your MO fake, they would land onto your standing fierce. Just be careful with it, don't fall into predictable patterns.

It was effective in ST but it's even more effective in HDR.

In ST when he throws a max out, during the startup animation there is a bit of the projectile drawn into (under his elbow) the st.:hp: looking sprite. So earlier on you have a visual cue as to what he's doing. In HDR this is missing and you cant tell if it's a max out or a ST fierce until the max out comes out completely.

It's also more effective against slower fatter characters like Honda as he has to wait longer to see what Dee Jay is really doing. Putting him at more of a disadvantage in footsie range (in my opinion.)
    Very good info ^ +++
  • TschesaeTschesae Joined: Posts: 178
    I use fake MO against Honda a lot. It works really well but you have to be at "I can still AA MO Hondas jump in"-distance or further away, otherwise it's risky and not that useful.
  • dikrodnumdikrodnum Old School Noob Joined: Posts: 697
    Whats up peoples, Getting 'back' into ST and want to do some DeeJay MM's...NEED a lot of help. Hit me up on LIVE at dikrodnum . Hope someone can help...?!
    "Think for yourself. Question authority!" -Timothy Leary
    A2/3: Nash / Cody
    ST(HDR): DeeJay
    MSH: Psylocke
    Well...what kind of help do you need? There are numerous pages here of combos, applications of said combos, match up specifics, tips, etc. Are you playing ST or HDR? ST has it's own (very lonely and sad) sub forum. Quite a bit of Deejay goodness in there as well.
  • zaspacerzaspacer Joined: Posts: 553
    streetfighterdojo.com: ST Dee Jay Page

I finally got the ST Dee Jay section up at streetfighterdojo.com.

The link is:
    http://streetfighterdojo.com/superturbo/deejay/deejaymatches.html

Yes, it's ST and not HDR, but a good amount of it is similar and I expect HDR players will get some use out of the matches and extras.

Fei Long is next in line.
    streetfighterdojo.com - video library of top players
  • fatboyfatboy I beat anorexia: 10-0 Joined: Posts: 1,853
    Zaspacer = the bomb.
    Am I hungry? Sure, I could eat...
    I finally got the ST Dee Jay section up at streetfighterdojo.com.

The link is:
    http://streetfighterdojo.com/superturbo/deejay/deejaymatches.html

Yes, it's ST and not HDR, but a good amount of it is similar and I expect HDR players will get some use out of the matches and extras.

Fei Long is next in line.

Zaspacer, you leg end. Thanks for this. I have a feeling my deejay game is about to go up a notch. Great work.
    Well...what kind of help do you need? There are numerous pages here of combos, applications of said combos, match up specifics, tips, etc. Are you playing ST or HDR? ST has it's own (very lonely and sad) sub forum. Quite a bit of Deejay goodness in there as well.

Well just more so Mirror matches is all...I like watching others play so I can see what are good/safe things to do. I also like talking over the matches too so that I can understand 'why' things are done. Reading is not the same as applying...

Even if the other players plays another character, as long as they can talk about what to do in the match-up i'd be fine with that!
    Zaspacer = the bomb.

My name is MrSimpson/Homer Pimpson, and I support this post. A lot of effort went into this, thank you :tup:
    Well just more so Mirror matches is all...

From Streetfighterdojo.com:

This is basically what this matchup comes down to at a high level. I'm sure the reason that zaspacer didn't post up more deejay mirror matches on his site because they're basically all the same.

-Dull!

It's a big snorefest but it comes down to locking off the horizontal space with endless max outs and both deejays trying to get an opening to get in close with normals and do damage (example at 0.40 on the clip, the first time there's a break in the fireball war). Psychic jump overs, early air attacks, and slides to give you positioning are all important too. I find that working your way close using slides etc to put you into jump attack range is the hardest aspect of this match. Once you're that close then it becomes about whether you're going to jump attack or max out. Once you get in on them then you can start to mix it up like you do with the rest of the cast, but getting in is the hard bit. Knockdowns are crucial, and will often decide the round.

IMO it's one of the dullest mirrors in the game along with Guile v Guile until you get in close.

Get practicing your max out timing.
    I dunno, I kinda like Deejay mirrors, for the exact reasons you find them dull =D It's a pretty intense match because one mistake = peace out.
    From Streetfighterdojo.com:

This is basically what this matchup comes down to at a high level. I'm sure the reason that zaspacer didn't post up more deejay mirror matches on his site because they're basically all the same.

-Dull!

IMO it's one of the dullest mirrors in the game along with Guile v Guile until you get in close.

LoL...YYYEEEAAAAHHHHHH, I'm not a fan of Mirror matches myself. Well if players here have Alt's they wanna play with that's cool too. I really ONLY play with DeeJay ( and somewhat Guile). I just wanna talk to Deejay players to see what I need done...:karate:
  • JehoediJehoedi making ALL KINDS of gains Joined: Posts: 257
    Snippity snip

This helped me out considerably with my matchups. The only real problem I have is when faced against a Vega. He's just so darn quick. And I can't upkick his dives consistently 'cos he can grab me out of them with his izuna drop. Does his godhand have priority over that?
    And regarding some of the combo's or BNB's you gave me. I just can't pull some of them off. This one for example: cross up j. forward, c. jab x2, s. strong xx rh dread kicks. I can never connect the s.strong. It always whiffs. Am I not executing it fast enough? This one also: cross up j. forward, c. jab x2 c. short xx rh upkicks. I can connect all of the normals, but then the upkicks whiff.

Fulaani, we'll play hopefully in the near future. I'm awfully busy with uni and work. I barely get any time to play HDR as it is. And when I finally do I'll gladly play you for some DJ experience.
    This helped me out considerably with my matchups. The only real problem I have is when faced against a Vega. He's just so darn quick. And I can't upkick his dives consistently 'cos he can grab me out of them with his izuna drop. Does his godhand have priority over that?
    And regarding some of the combo's or BNB's you gave me. I just can't pull some of them off. This one for example: cross up j. forward, c. jab x2, s. strong xx rh dread kicks. I can never connect the s.strong. It always whiffs. Am I not executing it fast enough? This one also: cross up j. forward, c. jab x2 c. short xx rh upkicks. I can connect all of the normals, but then the upkicks whiff.

Fulaani, we'll play hopefully in the near future. I'm awfully busy with uni and work. I barely get any time to play HDR as it is. And when I finally do I'll gladly play you for some DJ experience.

jump back j. jab beats wall dive as does j. strong and s. strong

and yes, you need to execute them faster

Thank you, lol...
    There's a lot more about Walldive and Deejays counters. Go back a few pages and you'll find a lot more info.
  • FulaaniFulaani Of terrorist descent Joined: Posts: 2,555

This sunday there's a ST ranbat in Amsterdam, your hometown, so you should drop by for a couple hours and play me IRL :)
    zoning took an indefinite hiatus
    Thank you, lol...

even though i said those options, i usually have a mind lapse and do short upkicks anyway :wasted:
    My main issue now is the Bison Match-Up. I just keep getting caught in those damn frame traps and throw traps. I try sMK and sHK along with Max Out to space. Once he's in tho...?!
    I really don't throw as often as I should and it's mostly execution that is killing that, but I feel if I threw more, it would send the msg. that "Yeah, I got throws too!"

What to do?
    People, just do a little more work by your own. There's -a lot- of Bison stuff in this thread (I think there are even posts that sum it up), just look around and you'll find it by yourself.
    I'm not trying to prevent good discussion but if you would just be a little less lazy then others would not have to repeat themselfes that often.
  • JehoediJehoedi making ALL KINDS of gains Joined: Posts: 257

It's actually hella easy to pull off in trainingmode. I always forget that ingame is a totally different ballpark than training. :bgrin: Have also had more luck with my Vega matchup. Although I have barely played 2 hours in the past week. And I totally screwed up an exam today which I didn't even know I had until late last night. So I'll probably be studying for my do-over.

And Fulaani, where is the Ranbat? I haven't heard of anything. Is it at a house of a friend of yours?
  • ShariShari Overestimated. Joined: Posts: 2,626
    If anyone wants to practice against Claw i would be glad to help out.

I enjoy playing that matchup.

And i can't say i agree with you all in how easy you make it sound to stop walldives.
    Haunts: Is it lag or just impeccable footsies and spacing, I don't know.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
  • BruceLBBruceLB THE KITTEN PAJAMAS Joined: Posts: 509
    And i can't say i agree with you all in how easy you make it sound to stop walldives.

That's because you haven't played enough against people who really have a deep understanding of that matchup.

Claw as to work very hard to make wall dives not easy to stop.
    powerbiast: and no losers both of us are winners cause we learned
  • EA MegamanEA Megaman That's what she said Joined: Posts: 841
    If anyone wants to practice against Claw i would be glad to help out.

I enjoy playing that matchup.

Aren't you in Europe somewhere? It's hella hard as anyone to stop the wall dive when you can't react instantly.
    If you say so.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
  • 1hitparry1hitparry Scrubasaurus Joined: Posts: 1,516
    If you say so.

Well I mean, you do well against local competition, right? So lag really isn't an issue in your judgement.
    If anyone wants to practice against Claw i would be glad to help out

Can you help me out with beating your wall dive bullshit with my dictator?

If you can, hit me up anytime. I'll make myself available :pray:

I hate claw's wall dive soooo much.....
    Well I mean, you do well against local competition, right? So lag really isn't an issue in your judgement.

Have not played much offline against decent competition.
    Mackdaddi wrote:
    Can you help me out with beating your wall dive bullshit with my dictator?

If you can, hit me up anytime. I'll make myself available

I hate claw's wall dive soooo much.....

Sure add me and we'll play sometime.
    Sure add me and we'll play sometime.

Woohoo.Will do. Looking forward to being crossed up so much that i get dizzy.:rofl:
  • 3pwood3pwood Mighty Pirate Joined: Posts: 226
    My main issue now is the Bison Match-Up. I just keep getting caught in those damn frame traps and throw traps. I try sMK and sHK along with Max Out to space. Once he's in tho...?!
    I really don't throw as often as I should and it's mostly execution that is killing that, but I feel if I threw more, it would send the msg. that "Yeah, I got throws too!"

What to do?

Play offensive, not defensive. j.jab beats...basically everythging Dictator can do, so abuse the hell out of it. Just remember, it's not a good source of damage--it's just to make him hesitant to attack. If the opportunity presents, cross him up into a mixup, and favor low attacks in that mixup, since most dictators try to counter throw and jump away a lot. If you manage to push him into the corner, do a block string ending in jab maxout, jump in with jab, then do either another block string, or a tick throw.
    Play offensive, not defensive. j.jab beats...basically everythging Dictator can do, so abuse the hell out of it. Just remember, it's not a good source of damage--it's just to make him hesitant to attack. If the opportunity presents, cross him up into a mixup, and favor low attacks in that mixup, since most dictators try to counter throw and jump away a lot. If you manage to push him into the corner, do a block string ending in jab maxout, jump in with jab, then do either another block string, or a tick throw.

My tick throws set-ups are not wuite there yet...but I do play Off. ( most people say a bit too Off.). I will try the jLP and see how that works. I have been using jLK and jHP to stuff but it seems an issue with timing as to what it will stop and not stop...thanks!