AWRIGHT! A Deejay Thread!

Comments

• Iron DDIron DD Rest In Peace, MrEgoTrip Joined: Posts: 380
    I just have to say that this thread has changed my game tremendously! Before reading through this thread, I had a ton of problem match ups. The main thing this thread has taught me is to abuse the hell out of j. jab, which is a move that I had never used prior to this. Now that I know how effective that one move is, life has become so much easier.

With j. jab, I no longer have anywhere near as much trouble against Blanka, Honda, Claw and Dic. Blanka balls? J. jab stops it clean. Honda headbutt or butt smash? J. jab stops it clean. Claw wall dive? J. jab. Hell this beautiful move stops many supers clean outright. Dictator, Boxer and Honda's supers? No longer much of an issue if you know they might be happening. J. jab beats them all. I still need to test if it beats Blanka's and Chun's supers.

Unfortunately, j. jab does nothing against throw loops, which are still giving me trouble. Trying to reversal throw against Ken and Boxer's throw loops seems useless, as with my experience those two bastards ALWAYS get their throws. Do mash throws have more priority or range than toss throws or something? I'm having the same luck trying to reversal upkick out of them. Maybe its lag?
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,455
    I just have to say that this thread has changed my game tremendously! Before reading through this thread, I had a ton of problem match ups. The main thing this thread has taught me is to abuse the hell out of j. jab, which is a move that I had never used prior to this. Now that I know how effective that one move is, life has become so much easier.

With j. jab, I no longer have anywhere near as much trouble against Blanka, Honda, Claw and Dic. Blanka balls? J. jab stops it clean. Honda headbutt or butt smash? J. jab stops it clean. Claw wall dive? J. jab. Hell this beautiful move stops many supers clean outright. Dictator, Boxer and Honda's supers? No longer much of an issue if you know they might be happening. J. jab beats them all. I still need to test if it beats Blanka's and Chun's supers.

Unfortunately, j. jab does nothing against throw loops, which are still giving me trouble. Trying to reversal throw against Ken and Boxer's throw loops seems useless, as with my experience those two bastards ALWAYS get their throws. Do mash throws have more priority or range than toss throws or something? I'm having the same luck trying to reversal upkick out of them. Maybe its lag?

Input delay and rollback, turn network smoothing off in options(since smoothing is what causes it), and if you cant do it online when you do, most of the time its an error on your part. This is the only way you will truly know other than playing matches locally.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
  • blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072
    If it's not lag make sure you are pianoing your throw reversals. For DJ you can piano either Fierce,Strong or Roundhouse,Forward. Or all 4. When you try to do reversal Upkicks, are you getting the reversal message? If not, piano dat shit too.

Holding throws do not have priority over tossing throws. And Boxer may be able to outrange your throw (not 100% sure, if so reversal Upkick), but Ken can't.
  • TschesaeTschesae Joined: Posts: 178
    Somewhere I read that Boxers grab got nerfed so much that DJ can now counterthrow him so it should be possible to reversal throw out of all the throw loops now. You still have to watch out for combos though (Ken can do cr.lk x2 xx super after a knee bash).

For Dics Super - jump back roundhouse works too and gives you a big SMACK =]
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Ryu versus Dee Jay feels like a hopeless matchup. I would say I'm good with Dee Jay. Not extremely good, but just good. I used to own Ryu's really badly, but that was because I was playing bad ones. When I started playing good Ryu's I began to get destroyed. Ryu can completely dominate zoning compared to Dee Jay and if you screw up it's back to square one since Ryu can just get away and continue zoning. Up close Dee Jay wins, but like Ryu Dee Jay needs momentum to get in. He can't just charge in and pull a combo off. Am I the only one who feels this way?
  • Homer PimpsonHomer Pimpson Questionable Joined: Posts: 1,179
    ^No, and you're not the only one who hasn't at least skimmed through this thread either.
    GGPO: MrSimpson
  • KhiempossibleKhiempossible NAGEHAME User Joined: Posts: 3,254
    I've got a question for you deejay mains.

I'm a blanka main, and second gief.

My question, is if I'm a tournament and I face a Deejay player, and lose the first game, should I counter pick gief? I usually do this for rog players, since gief handles rog waaaaaay better than blanka. but deejay is an equally bad matchup.

Which character do you guys find harder to deal with? blanka or gief?

and given this, what tactics do you find yourself losing to? I know most of it is just tick grabs, but are there particular things that you guys find really difficult?
    "Win when you can; lose when you have to; but always play cheap" - Familyman
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
  • MurderbydeathMurderbydeath Joined: Posts: 906
    I've got a question for you deejay mains.

I'm a blanka main, and second gief.

My question, is if I'm a tournament and I face a Deejay player, and lose the first game, should I counter pick gief? I usually do this for rog players, since gief handles rog waaaaaay better than blanka. but deejay is an equally bad matchup.

Which character do you guys find harder to deal with? blanka or gief?

and given this, what tactics do you find yourself losing to? I know most of it is just tick grabs, but are there particular things that you guys find really difficult?

Blanka is actually almost a bad matchup for Dee Jay, in my opinion. Slide under max outs, crazy j.short, all kinds of mixup options...I find him much harder to deal with.
  • zenzenzenzen heartfelt fancy Joined: Posts: 3,489
    Blanka and Gief are some of DJ's easiest matchups. He just has to keep away all match. He sucks against them close up, though.
    <dominos> what 2d isn't real?
    <AlterGenesis-X> my world is over
    <Stabby> "come back when you lose a few dimensions"
    Blanka and Gief are some of DJ's easiest matchups. He just has to keep away all match. He sucks against them close up, though.

Right, and I'd say Gief is easier to deal with up close.
    Pick Blanka, Gief is easier to deal with. If Blanka manages to pressure the DJ player so that he makes mistakes then I'd say the match is in Blankas favor. Good DJ players just don't panic very often.
    Pick Blanka, Gief is easier to deal with. If Blanka manages to pressure the DJ player so that he makes mistakes then I'd say the match is in Blankas favor. Good DJ players just don't panic very often.

Pretty much what I was trying to say, but in not so many words.
  • FulaaniFulaani Of terrorist descent Joined: Posts: 2,555
    Blanka is actually almost a bad matchup for Dee Jay, in my opinion. Slide under max outs, crazy j.short, all kinds of mixup options...I find him much harder to deal with.
    no, just no.

when a disadvantaged character has a favorable position to be in during a particular matchup that doesn't mean it's "almost a bad matchup." It just means there is still a chance the disadvantaged character can get a win.

blanka is not "almost a bad" matchup for deejay.
    zoning took an indefinite hiatus
  • IcemanIceman Joined: Posts: 1,364
    Fun experiment: Pick Dee Jay against Blanka, hold down-back and mash out rapid jabs. Max out if you're bored, short up kicks when he jumps.
    It's fun until he sweeps you and then starts his crossup madness.
  • KhiempossibleKhiempossible NAGEHAME User Joined: Posts: 3,254

I find deejay's low strong to be more troublesome.

but yeah, that's how I conventionally lose to deejay.

rapid fire low strong/low jab + max outs + short upkicks on jumps and if I predictably slide I eat short sobat.

nevermind that slide under max out only works on predictable max outs, it's not a viable strategy on reaction.
    "Win when you can; lose when you have to; but always play cheap" - Familyman
    c. jab, c. strong, and AAs keeps out blanka
    don't let him get so close where cr.rh might trade with your pokes

oh and khiem, deejays forward and roundhouse sobats go over lows now too. feel that dizzy/dmg.
    don't let him get so close where cr.rh might trade with your pokes

oh and khiem, deejays forward and roundhouse sobats go over lows now too. feel that dizzy/dmg.

While this is true, it's extremely difficult to time.
    While this is true, it's extremely difficult to time.

That's why you still use short dreads.
    We already covered that Fulaani. I can't do more than tell you the same things over and over again. If you think all the good Blanka players are so mighty that they can even win with this shitty char (jeah it happends!) then that's ok. Please just don't think everyone should agree on that.
    I don't understand why you keep talking to me like that when we discuss this matchup. Have I ever said this matchup was unwinnable for Blanka? Though you keep telling me watch this video watch that video as if I need proof of Blanka winning.

You mentioned cr.rh, with what I said I was implying that it's damn difficult to get into that sweet range where it works the way it should. If you think Blanka can easily get there you're dropping the ball.
    I'm telling you that because your last post kinda says "don't let him get to the position where his cr.rh is dangerous" which is just completely impossible for Deejay. Yeah that situation is still not really in Blankas favor but it's quite simple to get there and as I said - DJ can't keep him from getting there. Once in that position Blanka can score a knockdown and even out a pretty long keepaway period.

I didn't want to offend you, I probably was in a rather bad mood when writing that post and just wanted you to see that it's not as easy as you think.
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,223
    I have to be the biggest over-achiever in HDR history. I discovered yesterday that combo's require just pushing the inputs as fast as possible, where I used to time each punch after the other and it never really worked. Anyway, with this in mind I managed to do Dee-Jay's cross-up mk > cr. jab x 2 > st. mp > f. dread kick. Watch out, world, here I come!
  • Gambit121Gambit121 What's up Mon Ami? Joined: Posts: 139
    Been having some trouble with Vega lately. Specially when he gets you into the corner and crouch pokes then slides then repeats. Tried to use the rising kick to escape but didn't work. Best solution I came up with is doing his light dread kick which trades with his slide. Otherwise I get trapped. Any tips?
    cr.forward is your friend. It does not win in every situation but you can spam it. If Vega starts to hit you with far st.fierce you can counter with cr.fierce.
    Been having some trouble with Vega lately. Specially when he gets you into the corner and crouch pokes then slides then repeats. Tried to use the rising kick to escape but didn't work. Best solution I came up with is doing his light dread kick which trades with his slide. Otherwise I get trapped. Any tips?

Crouching forward, as ^ said, beats slide cleanly. It also beats roll if timed properly (and it's not very hard at all).
  • zasszass Da 'Mizer Joined: Posts: 1,122
    Also as a sidenote, this was probably one of the most fun matches I had at evo. Just want to say really gg again to Zass.

Just saw this now -- thanks! That was a great match .. one of those matches where we both had several missed chances to have won "for free" :)

I hope we can play again in person sometime! Thanks again for a very fun tournament match.

We should have this format every year at evo.
    Taking shit back to the RESERVOIR
    http://tea-hawk.blogspot.com

SF2 Code v1.0: t+ c+ T+ r+(-) f g+ m+ s+ v+ M+(-) n+:++ o+ (av by Tat Guy)
    http://web.archive.org/web/19970219205915/hannibal.mit.edu/things/sf2/sf2code.txt
  • Gambit121Gambit121 What's up Mon Ami? Joined: Posts: 139
    Ty, next time I face a Vega I'll try it. Seems like they only play at like 4 am Vega players
  • BruceLBBruceLB THE KITTEN PAJAMAS Joined: Posts: 509
    Just saw this now -- thanks! That was a great match .. one of those matches where we both had several missed chances to have won "for free" :)

I hope we can play again in person sometime! Thanks again for a very fun tournament match.

We should have this format every year at evo.

GGs last night man. We definitely have to play again in person. If you're ever in so cal and there's a ranbat at denjin going on you gotta go for sure.

Otherwise there's always Evo.
    powerbiast: and no losers both of us are winners cause we learned
    Doesn't DJ c. forward beat 99% of Claw's moves?
  • JehoediJehoedi making ALL KINDS of gains Joined: Posts: 257
    Well I just faced a claw a second ago. And DJs c.MK stuffed his rolling claw, slide and walk up throw shenanigans. The rest you need to focus on are his wall dives. Luckily Djs j.LP stuffs all those! Problem is, a good Claw doesn't mindlessly wall dive in. He will try to fake you out. Once you're down on the floor he'll start his meaty dive loop. Only way you can get out of that is a well timed reversal. So goodluck with that. :karate:
    No you can't reversal out of a well timed crossup Walldive. But since Vega has to do it as crossup to beat your reversal you can also just block and reset the situation. cr.forward sometimes loses to slide or cr.mp be aware of that.
  • JehoediJehoedi making ALL KINDS of gains Joined: Posts: 257
    Reversal doesn't cleanly beat it, huh? I must have been lucky I guess. It is also ofcourse difficult to consistantly get a meaty dive for Vega. Error on his part can also help. Didn't know that DJs cr.MK could get beat by a slide. Thought it could only trade at worst.
  • BruceLBBruceLB THE KITTEN PAJAMAS Joined: Posts: 509
    No you can't reversal out of a well timed crossup Walldive.

Um, what? Reversal short upkicks will cleanly beat wall dive crossup in the corner and will make walldive whiff anywhere else.
    powerbiast: and no losers both of us are winners cause we learned
    Doesn't DJ c. forward beat 99% of Claw's moves?

Basically.
  • ShariShari Overestimated. Joined: Posts: 2,626
    Um, what? Reversal short upkicks will cleanly beat wall dive crossup in the corner and will make walldive whiff anywhere else.

You can make it whiff.

But then you get punished during the recovery.
    Haunts: Is it lag or just impeccable footsies and spacing, I don't know.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
    We already had this discussion a few pages back. Reversal short Upkick gets hit by well timed meaty crossup walldive.

@Jehoedi: Watch Sirlin VS Afrolegends @Evo07 (I think), Sirlin manages to hit DJs cr.forward in the recovery time with his slide.
    @Jehoedi: Watch Sirlin VS Afrolegends @Evo07 (I think), Sirlin manages to hit DJs cr.forward in the recovery time with his slide.
    to be fair, whiff punishing poke A with poke B is not the same as beating poke A with poke B.