Family man patriarchy remix (Guile strategy thread)

SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
Let's kick start a thread for the real American, Guile. (I hope the title is "cool" enough for SRK)

Is anybody having fun doing Sonic Boom into towards+Roundhouse/crouching Roundhouse/Grab mix ups?
Or do you feel more confident throwing Sonic Booms and then turtling it out?

btw, Maj has posted a thread here:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=168739
with this combo:
crossup j.LK, c.LK -> c.LK -> whiff s.LK xx FK super
but the rest of the thread mentions other characters' combos.

Comments

• Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I gotta say that giving him a free high low mixup off pretty much any knockdown is a huge boon(blocked boom into cr. forward or roundhouse overhead). Maybe a bit too good imo.

Another thing I noticed is that he gets his close stand roundhouse from about a sweep distance away which is a huge pain in the ass when trying to mount pressure with step kick since it's now neutral+roundhouse. Oddly enough his stand Fierce only activates from much closer. Stupid programming? I dunno, but it's really irritating.

Roundhouse Flashkick is also a huge boost. He can punish alot of shit on reaction now which makes him WAAY more scary from further out since any knockdown leads to the aforementioned guessing game.

Also, has anyone noticed that jump forward seems to crossup alot? Not sure if this was a documented upgrade, but it happened to me a good few times last night (against Balrog of all characters) and that is not something that was easy to do in ST.

All in all I think Guile will be pretty beast. Speaking of which Blanka is pretty insane now too. Safe ball is a bit much imo.

Oh and Guile has tiny girl feet for some fucked up reason.
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • brianbrian Joined: Posts: 765
    Comboing short short super with the new motion isnt working for me. I *almost* always get a regular flashkick instead. Anyone having better luck?
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Team Arcade Stream Joined: Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    After a throw rh flash kick closes the gap fast.
  • MajMaj CvS2 Combo Collector Joined: Posts: 2,073
    Not sure how i feel about this, but jchensor was telling me that Guile can walk forward and do c.LK x3 xx HK Flash Kick (renda-kara-canceled off whiff s.LK). That chain is so slow that he can build charge from scratch and the HK Flash Kick's new crazy range means it never misses and it's hella easy to combo.

He found that on day one, so i'm assuming that Capcom must have known about it as well. Still, it seems way too good to give Guile such a powerful triple option mixup (F+HK / c.LK / throw) off a blocked corner Sonic Boom.

Also in case anyone hasn't noticed, Guile's c.LK does a goddamn ton of damage. It always has, cuz it was one of the slowest light attacks in the game, plus it wasn't supposed to be cancelable.
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Team Arcade Stream Joined: Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Not sure how i feel about this, but jchensor was telling me that Guile can walk forward and do c.LK x3 xx HK Flash Kick (renda-kara-canceled off whiff s.LK). That chain is so slow that he can build charge from scratch and the HK Flash Kick's new crazy range means it never misses and it's hella easy to combo.

He found that on day one, so i'm assuming that Capcom must have known about it as well. Still, it seems way too good to give Guile such a powerful triple option mixup (F+HK / c.LK / throw) off a blocked corner Sonic Boom.

Also in case anyone hasn't noticed, Guile's c.LK does a goddamn ton of damage. It always has, cuz it was one of the slowest light attacks in the game, plus it wasn't supposed to be cancelable.

Neat-o. I'll be messing around with that.
  • CapMasterCapMaster OG Pad Player Joined: Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I've been loving the new Guile in this game. That overhead does give him more mixup/offensive options. So now, what can the new Roundhouse Flash Kick hit that he couldn't have hit before?
    Reborn ST hustler.
    2009 Gamestop Regional Champion
    I like him too and I don't mean to sound elitist, but he's becoming a real braindead character. It used to require a fair bit of finesse to play him well in ST, but now he has some real hamfisted tactics.

• sirblewsirblew Wretched Bogchild Joined: Posts: 132
    Is it just me or can Guile's new upside down kick be sweeped a lot more easily in remix? I seem to get sweeped a lot when I pull one off, and I don't remember it being that way before. I could be confusing his ST upside down kick with his HF version. Was his upside down kick sweepable in ST?
    I never watch TV, the shows inside my head are almost always better.

SSF2THDR: Dee Jay, Guile
    SF4: Gouken, Blanka
  • zerojayzerojay Punching Bag? Joined: Posts: 486
    No, I don't believe it was sweepable in ST. It was a tradeoff for making it an overhead in HD Remix.
  • BattosaiBattosai Joined: Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I am pretty sure you can now do a meaty c.forward + S.fierce+roundhouse flash kick on Zangief and Sagat.
    I can't wait to get an xbox to play this.
  • CarpeNoctumXIIICarpeNoctumXIII The abyss gazes also Joined: Posts: 1,012
    I love the new guile. The new super command means I can pull it off far more often on reaction. Closing the gap after a throw with a rh Flash kick is great too. I still have a hard time agaist chun though. Must be her new art :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    -The fact that a believer is happier than an atheist is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one-
  • KINGKING あなたの母親の膣 Joined: Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    No, I don't believe it was sweepable in ST. It was a tradeoff for making it an overhead in HD Remix.

...it just looks nonsensical when Guile's in the air, and he gets swept under him!

I was saddened at this change, btw. :bluu:
    "I will be kind enough to give you the hint regarding KOF though: read Iori Yagami's family name in reverse." -- Black Shroud
    Am I the only one having serious problems with the new super motion?

If I do it slowly it comes out, but if I try to whip it out quickly as an anti air or something I basically always get a regular flashkick instead.
  • KINGKING あなたの母親の膣 Joined: Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

If I do it slowly it comes out, but if I try to whip it out quickly as an anti air or something I basically always get a regular flashkick instead.

you're not the only one. i'm having trouble doing it half the time myself.
    "I will be kind enough to give you the hint regarding KOF though: read Iori Yagami's family name in reverse." -- Black Shroud
    Yeah I'm actually way more consistent with the old method.

• SaDoSaDo Joined: Posts: 295
    Comboing short short super with the new motion isnt working for me. I *almost* always get a regular flashkick instead. Anyone having better luck?

i was doing cr.lk xx cr.lk(super motion)~mk in training mode earlier and it was working

charge db, df, ub
    Currently ranked #1 on XBOX Live HD Remix, both remix mode AND classic (As of 2/07/10)
    XBOX user name - DJRamsey1987
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,605

Sirlin mentioned this in the changelogs he wrote on his site. If you do the old motion, db df db u, it will come out.
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101

Incidentally, I don't think I've messed up the new motion once. Sounds to me like you're missing the df diagonal when you perform the motion quickly. I somehow find db,hcuf a lot easier than db,hcub. It feels like an easier version of ST Fei Long's dragon arc kick.
  • SiYkOSiYkO aka fdsdfg Joined: Posts: 501
    Not sure why this thread fell to page 3, but I want to talk about some matchups.

Blanka - Guile has always had a rough matchup here, and unfortunately it seems to have gotten worse. Blanka can play more aggressively with the blankaball, and can still slide under our booms. F+RH is basically a dead move, because it will whiff against a crouching blanka, as will his F/B+MK hopkicks. The most effective move seems to be S.LK, which you can still perform the following trick:
    neutral+lk, hold back, keep tapping lk
    as long as you keep doing rapid fire kicks, you can charge sb without getting the bazzooka knee. Since s.lk beats both blankaball and slide clean, it's pretty good if you need some space. Unfortunately, this means you lose flash kick charge, which means playing blanka is very different than any other character. A piece of aggression I often use is jab sonic boom, B+RH. If he slides, the kick will hit him out of it, and the sb will combo. You need a lot of space for this though, because if they do anything on reaction to the sb, it will beat your kick before it comes out.

Vega - Fortunately this matchup is easier because of the RH flash kick. Vega can now drop from the air, which means he has the ability to bait out a RH flash kick, which can be pretty bad for guile, but the ability to deal with midscreen dives and slide is very welcome. I have never been great at this matchup, so I have no more real thoughts.

Sagat - Sagat's fireballs are slower, which is good news for guile, but his uppercut and normals still keep us away pretty well. There's really no way around the standard shoto game, which Sagat does pretty well here.

I haven't tried the c.lk combo today, looking forward to that, but that would be a sick guessing game after any knockdown. The overhead has good priority and really nice range, which makes it perfect for mindgames. If one overhead hits, doing another one is a great way to make them feel stupid and start second guessing themselves, and then you can do all sorts of shit.

Anyone have thoughts on his jumpins? I see j.lk mentioned, but I always seem to get thrown when I land it. Should I be hitting lk right before I hit the ground? I always use it like t-hawk's j.lp, which might be my problem.
    Not sure why this thread fell to page 3, but I want to talk about some matchups.

Blanka - Guile has always had a rough matchup here, and unfortunately it seems to have gotten worse. Blanka can play more aggressively with the blankaball, and can still slide under our booms. F+RH is basically a dead move, because it will whiff against a crouching blanka, as will his F/B+MK hopkicks. The most effective move seems to be S.LK, which you can still perform the following trick:
    neutral+lk, hold back, keep tapping lk
    as long as you keep doing rapid fire kicks, you can charge sb without getting the bazzooka knee. Since s.lk beats both blankaball and slide clean, it's pretty good if you need some space. Unfortunately, this means you lose flash kick charge, which means playing blanka is very different than any other character. A piece of aggression I often use is jab sonic boom, B+RH. If he slides, the kick will hit him out of it, and the sb will combo. You need a lot of space for this though, because if they do anything on reaction to the sb, it will beat your kick before it comes out.

I think Blanka is Guile's worst matchup. One tactic is to just turtle the match out. Sit blocking and charging, ignoring his slides, and throw a sonic boom when he looks like he won't be able to jump it. If he gets sick of this he'll try jump in, in which case you flash kick. Sometimes he will bait by jumping directly up, but the new RH flash kick should take care of this. Unfortunately it's not a perfect tactic because you will still need to guess his rolls to avoid chip damage/bites. I also find that if you guess his slide correctly you can hit him with a sonic boom when he's either coming into or out of his slide. My main problem with Blanka is I can't seem to c.LK his slides without trading, which I obviously lose on. I wish Sirlin got rid of the knee bazooka, I never use it and find it a pain when I need to do the normal standing LK. Does anyone actually use the knee bazooka for anything useful?
    Vega - Fortunately this matchup is easier because of the RH flash kick. Vega can now drop from the air, which means he has the ability to bait out a RH flash kick, which can be pretty bad for guile, but the ability to deal with midscreen dives and slide is very welcome. I have never been great at this matchup, so I have no more real thoughts.

A good Vega player really gives Guile a tough time, however I find they're expecting you to try turtle the match out and predict Vega's drops with a flash kick, which they then punish with a sweep and gain the upper hand. Keeping the pressure on Vega, jumping a lot and making sure to MK when you're near him seems to work for me. Keep charging DB in the air to pull off a flash kick reversal if he tries to throw (his throw range is longer than Guile's so you'll usually lose a throwing contest).
    Sagat - Sagat's fireballs are slower, which is good news for guile, but his uppercut and normals still keep us away pretty well. There's really no way around the standard shoto game, which Sagat does pretty well here.

Not only are his fireballs slower, but remixed Sagat's arms are vulnerable when he throws a tiger shot (o.Sagat's weren't), so you can RH flash kick him when you're near. The upside down kick mixup is great against him too. Once you get to midscreen with him he's not too hard a character to beat. Just watch out for those tiger knee juggles!
    I haven't tried the c.lk combo today, looking forward to that, but that would be a sick guessing game after any knockdown. The overhead has good priority and really nice range, which makes it perfect for mindgames. If one overhead hits, doing another one is a great way to make them feel stupid and start second guessing themselves, and then you can do all sorts of shit.

Anyone have thoughts on his jumpins? I see j.lk mentioned, but I always seem to get thrown when I land it. Should I be hitting lk right before I hit the ground? I always use it like t-hawk's j.lp, which might be my problem.

I hit LK quite soon after I jump, it's great for a crossup. You can then either combo or mash MP for a throw when you land. Remember if you have smoothing on you will have to do this ahead of time due to the inpit delay. I mostly use either MK or HK for jumpins though, depending on the angle and distance. His j.HK is great for punishing fireball recovery and j.MK is great for catching an opponent blocking low rather than high.

A couple things that surely are nothing new, but nobody else is really posting here.

-The matchup against sagat is really not bad thanks to sagat's recovery and new hitboxes. If you're in a fireball volley from full screen, all you need is to be sure he's about to fire another tiger, and jump in with RH, you can punish him and remain safe. He cannot do the same to you, which means he needs to work his way in to you. In ST guile really had to get the drop on sagat, but this is just not true anymore.

-Dhalsim is still a pain. Guile's b+mk can hit his limbs rather consistently, and the same tactics against Blanka's slide work for Dhal, and rh flash kck works rather well if he starts getting tricky with midscreen pressure.

I haven't fought many Akumas, so I'm not too sure what to look out for there - any experience anyone has would be nice.
    I haven't fought many Akumas, so I'm not too sure what to look out for there - any experience anyone has would be nice.

I had my arse handed to me on a platter by Sirlin playing Akuma on the weekend. He rushed me down and left me very few options. He obviously knows Akuma better than anyone though, the other Akuma players haven't had nearly as much success against my Guile. The main reason they have won at all against me is Akuma's ridiculous super. His super meter builds up very slowly though, so I think the trick is to mix him up early and go for a quick damage round, rather than turtle it out. Keep the pressure on and try force him to the ground with threats of RH flash kicks when he jumps, then you can use the upside down kick/c.RH/throw mixup on him and rinse repeat. He doesn't take many hits to die, which is good.

• CoosCoosCoosCoos Yep. Joined: Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Don't know if this was posted but check out the range of the backbreaker.

AE: Fei

Marvel: Mag/Doom/Dante

UNIEL: Waldstein
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Whats a good strategy vs Zangief?
    Whats a good strategy vs Zangief?

play very patiently. You can shut down his advances pretty well with jab SB and c.mk - he cannot lariat through the boom without eating the kick, and with the same timing you can punish a greenhand that hits the boom (just have to be careful of positioning). Don't let him in close obviously, so its usually better to err on the side of 'keep flash kick charged' whenever you have to make a decision. Unless he knocks you down up close where he can crossup (not long range sweep or spd), you can take out any jumpin with flash kick. Gief's whole game is getting in close, so just play very patiently and never let him have the opportunity.
    Heres a tip against Honda that I figured out at Keystone II, if honda is going to head butt through your fireballs, immediately throw a back fist as you would against cammys spinning knuckle. Cant wait to get an xbox.

Its too bad you can't charge and throw rapid standing light kicks like with old guile. Against Zangief players, I use standing light kick against giefs low roundhouse and it counters it everytime and then I would throw a boom right in his face, but thats with old Guile in OG ST anyway.

Bradford
    Heres a tip against Honda that I figured out at Keystone II, if honda is going to head butt through your booms, immediately throw a back fist as you would agianst cammys spinning knuckle. Cant wait to get an xbox.

Another nice thing is you can LK flash kick his headbutts on reaction, including his super. Honda is Guile's bitch.

Heres a tip against Honda that I figured out at
    Its too bad you can't charge and throw rapid standing light kicks like with old guile. Against Zangief players, I use standing light kick against giefs low roundhouse and it counters it everytime and then I would throw a boom right in his face, but thats with old Guile in OG ST anyway.

Not as good as o.guile, but you can go to neutral and start hitting lk, and as long as you keep mashing nothing but s.lk, you can hold back and start charting for sb without doing the knee. It's not nearly as useful, but against someone like blanka, you can still do lk spam -> boom -> lk spam if they start getting really reliant on slides and blankaballs.
  • hawaiigamer142hawaiigamer142 Joined: Posts: 614
    I have really bad timing with Guile's LK cross up, but the c.LK c.LK s.LK HK Flash Kick combo is too nice! I managed to pull it off only once in online play though, I think I'm too nervous. When I start focusing on only landing the combo I start losing matches.
    Is anyone having serious problems against Dhalsim? No matter what I do, I can't get in close. I try to pressure him with sonic booms but they usually just counter quite easily with yoga fire. He is my most frustrating matchup, along with E. Honda, Zangief and Chun Li. I am glad someone posted some Zangief strategies. I figured out that I need to keep him away from me, but in the end, he would close the distance and punish me with grabs. Gonna play a whole bunch after work tonight.
    Is anyone having serious problems against Dhalsim? No matter what I do, I can't get in close. I try to pressure him with sonic booms but they usually just counter quite easily with yoga fire. He is my most frustrating matchup, along with E. Honda, Zangief and Chun Li. I am glad someone posted some Zangief strategies. I figured out that I need to keep him away from me, but in the end, he would close the distance and punish me with grabs. Gonna play a whole bunch after work tonight.

Dhalsim really plays differnetly from long range, midrange, and close range, and forunately guile can handle them all.

Long range, do the same thing you'd do against any shoto. Sonic boom the fireballs as much as you can, occasionally vertically jumping. Once you're confident he's going to do another fireball, jump at him right before he starts the fireball animation and hit him with an early j.roundhouse. Getting the confidence that he's going to do another fireball means being very patient - there's no harm in exchanging 20 fireballs before you're pretty sure he's going to go for that 21st (of course you can never be 100% positive). Once the j.roundhouse lands, you can do another sonic boom immediatley after (fierce), and resume doing whatever you want.

Midrange is much harder. He can still yoga fire you, you're not safe sonic booming to cancel out his projectiles on reaction, and he can sweep under your SB. If you jump to avoid a fire or try to get in, his limbs can take you out. Luckily, you have a few tools. If you think he's going to harrass you with limbs or drills, do b+mk. You'll win out on this and keep SB charge. Standing lk will take out his sweeps and some of his limbs (don't use b+roundhouse like blanka, it doesn't work on his slides). Avoid the urge to jump in and keep this up. Once they get predictable (or if you feel like gambling), do a roundhouse flash kick to punish him for pretty much anything but blocking. That could be considered the goal of this situation - the flashkick will destroy the situation and you'll be able to create a new one on his wakeup.

At close range, there's not much Dhalsim has to offer that every other character in the game doesn't, except the noggie. You know the drill (hah), flash kick if he's going to attack, throw if he's going to block, sonic boom or c.mk or overhead if you're not sure. There's not much to say about here, although you can definetly lose or win the game up close, there's just nothing special dhalsim brings.
    Dhalsim really plays differnetly from long range, midrange, and close range, and forunately guile can handle them all.

Long range, do the same thing you'd do against any shoto. Sonic boom the fireballs as much as you can, occasionally vertically jumping. Once you're confident he's going to do another fireball, jump at him right before he starts the fireball animation and hit him with an early j.roundhouse. Getting the confidence that he's going to do another fireball means being very patient - there's no harm in exchanging 20 fireballs before you're pretty sure he's going to go for that 21st (of course you can never be 100% positive). Once the j.roundhouse lands, you can do another sonic boom immediatley after (fierce), and resume doing whatever you want.

Midrange is much harder. He can still yoga fire you, you're not safe sonic booming to cancel out his projectiles on reaction, and he can sweep under your SB. If you jump to avoid a fire or try to get in, his limbs can take you out. Luckily, you have a few tools. If you think he's going to harrass you with limbs or drills, do b+mk. You'll win out on this and keep SB charge. Standing lk will take out his sweeps and some of his limbs (don't use b+roundhouse like blanka, it doesn't work on his slides). Avoid the urge to jump in and keep this up. Once they get predictable (or if you feel like gambling), do a roundhouse flash kick to punish him for pretty much anything but blocking. That could be considered the goal of this situation - the flashkick will destroy the situation and you'll be able to create a new one on his wakeup.

At close range, there's not much Dhalsim has to offer that every other character in the game doesn't, except the noggie. You know the drill (hah), flash kick if he's going to attack, throw if he's going to block, sonic boom or c.mk or overhead if you're not sure. There's not much to say about here, although you can definetly lose or win the game up close, there's just nothing special dhalsim brings.

Thank you for the in depth reply. I will try and put this into practice. The sweep was killing me in the last match with Dhalsim that I played. I would try to push forward, but kept ending up in the corner. I need to time my flash kicks better. The dhalsim I played was very good at punishing me for missing my flash kicks. :)
  • TVGTVG Joined: Posts: 376
    Does HP throw have more range than MP?
  • Axel KellyAxel Kelly Joined: Posts: 1,480
    Does HP throw have more range than MP?

Unless it was changed in Remix, no. He has the same damage and range on both of his throws.
    I've got one question that's been naggin at me for a while that I can't seem to come to a conclusion on: When Guile's around cr. forward range, what keeps his opponents from jumping his sonic booms? I'm pretty sure if they jumped as soon as you threw one, most characters could hit Guile before he could cr. fierce them. Maybe the block stun from cr. forward might give you enough time to do this, but I'm not sure. So then is it just that its difficult to anticipate so they don't jump asap? I know this probably different vs different characters, but all and any info would be appreciated.

Edit: On a sidenote, I'm very pleased with how Guile turned out in hd remix. His new offensive tools have made him much more fun to play as and have made him more competitive.
  • YieArKungFuYieArKungFu c.FP > you Joined: Posts: 240
    I wish Sirlin got rid of the knee bazooka, I never use it and find it a pain when I need to do the normal standing LK. Does anyone actually use the knee bazooka for anything useful?

It's useful in the Guile v Guile mirror more then anything since it allows you to close space without losing Sonic Boom charge and jumping in is rarely the right answer especially with new RH Flash Kick and better juggling/easier motion super.
    TonFun is top teir.
    I've got one question that's been naggin at me for a while that I can't seem to come to a conclusion on: When Guile's around cr. forward range, what keeps his opponents from jumping his sonic booms? I'm pretty sure if they jumped as soon as you threw one, most characters could hit Guile before he could cr. fierce them. Maybe the block stun from cr. forward might give you enough time to do this, but I'm not sure. So then is it just that its difficult to anticipate so they don't jump asap? I know this probably different vs different characters, but all and any info would be appreciated.

It's not a very good range for him in general because of this. He can't do a standard fireball trap because he can never do a flash kick after a sonic boom. The opponent will have a very very difficult jumping on reaction to a sonic boom, I'm not sure if it's even possible. If they're waiting to react to anything, then you can just do a c.jab to get him to reflex the jump, and flash kick that.

When in c.forward range though. c.forward is a pretty good option =)
    It's useful in the Guile v Guile mirror more then anything since it allows you to close space without losing Sonic Boom charge and jumping in is rarely the right answer especially with new RH Flash Kick and better juggling/easier motion super.

I also like it in any long range wakeup game. After landing a flash kick or something, you can toss a jab sb, do a knee, and once they block the jab one, do a fierce sb (airtight) or another jab sb to mess with them. Also anytime you're in a fireball volley and gain the upper hand, you can push them a little closer to the corner by advancing before the next fireball.
  • psychedelicbeatpsychedelicbeat aka The Blacksmith Joined: Posts: 445
    i can't believe they got rid of the bootkick on f.RH....that was probably one of my most tactical moves
    It's not a very good range for him in general because of this. He can't do a standard fireball trap because he can never do a flash kick after a sonic boom. The opponent will have a very very difficult jumping on reaction to a sonic boom, I'm not sure if it's even possible. If they're waiting to react to anything, then you can just do a c.jab to get him to reflex the jump, and flash kick that.

When in c.forward range though. c.forward is a pretty good option =)

After going back and watching alot of Muteki's videos, I realized your right; when your in cr. forward range, you should use your cr. forward:looney:. The forward ususally knocks them out of range, where it is then safe to sonic boom because you can at least trade with your cr. fierce if they jump in. So then is Guile's "wheel house" (best place to throw sonic booms) a bit more than half screen? This is where I see Muteki most of the time. It seems then like its all about maitaining that distance.
    i can't believe they got rid of the bootkick on f.RH....that was probably one of my most tactical moves

You can still do that with back rh.
  • aegis neglectoraegis neglector Joined: Posts: 671
    Hey, guys, I had a few of questions I was hoping someone could help me out with:

1. I noticed that Guile can link 2 cr. MPs on characters with larger hitboxes. Does anyone happen to know exactly who this link works on and when it works?

2. Most of the good Guile players I've seen or talked to use Flashkick as his primary anti-air. Is cr. FP really only used when you don't have time to charge the Flashkick?

3. This is the biggie... I know that comboing into super isn't too terribly important to Guile's gameplay, but in ST, in general, I am pretty much clueless as to how to combo into any supers. Does anyone have any general advice on that? I also use Ryu and Fei-Long a bit.

Sorry for all the fundamental questions; I've always been primarily a 3rd Strike head, so this is all really foreign to me. :) Thanks for the help!
    "Tek-settAAAAAAAA!!!"
    Hey, guys, I had a few of questions I was hoping someone could help me out with:

1. I noticed that Guile can link 2 cr. MPs on characters with larger hitboxes. Does anyone happen to know exactly who this link works on and when it works?

2. Most of the good Guile players I've seen or talked to use Flashkick as his primary anti-air. Is cr. FP really only used when you don't have time to charge the Flashkick?

3. This is the biggie... I know that comboing into super isn't too terribly important to Guile's gameplay, but in ST, in general, I am pretty much clueless as to how to combo into any supers. Does anyone have any general advice on that? I also use Ryu and Fei-Long a bit.

Sorry for all the fundamental questions; I've always been primarily a 3rd Strike head, so this is all really foreign to me. :) Thanks for the help!

1.) I don't think anyone's going to have the answer to this, so I'd just test it myself if I were you

2.) Cr. fierce is you best anti-air if you don't have your flashkick charged. Against opponents jumping in from far away though, spinning backfist is a better option.

3.) I'd go to the Guile thread in the Super Turbo section. People talk about it on and on and on. I think there's even a thread labled something like, "How the F do you combo supers?"

Side note: can anyone plz confirm whether what I said in my last post is correct? Still waiting on that one...
    Double Post!

I was wondering if anyone had any good gameplans/strategies vs Akuma. In particular, is there a way to keep him from jumping your sonic booms and air fireballing? The only thing I could think of is getting him to jump late via good mixup, then asap jump towards him and fierce (or maybe forward/rh?). I tried this against my 9 year old brother in training mode and it seemed to work decently, provided that he didn't jump right when I threw it. Sometimes I'd fierce him, sometimes I'd get an air throw, sometimes i'd get a fireball in the face. But then again, he's 9. I find it hard to believe that it's not safe for Guile to throw sonic booms from 3/5 screen. I doubt this works, but does anyone have another method?
  • nothingnothing Keep calm, and stay dashing Joined: Posts: 1,700
    Any additional tips for the c. lk x3 xx flashkick combo? I guess the biggest part I'm having trouble with kara canceling the rh flashick with standing lk. Either nothing happens, I jump straight up, the standing lk comes out followed by nothing or the flashkick is blocked (In this case I'm not hearing the lk whiff sound so I'm guessing I'm not getting the kara)

I even tried cutting it down to 2 c. lk xx flashkick thinking it might somehow be easier but I keep getting c. lkx2 xx s. lk xx flashkick for four hits instead of the kara'ed 3 hit combo.

Since, the standing lk is coming out, that means I'm doing the kara cancel too slowly, right? Is there something wrong with my inputs?

I'm doing: c. lk x3, (stick at neutral) st. lk~up hk.

Is there a better way of doing it or something?
  • wolf_1wolf_1 Joined: Posts: 169
    earlier today i did a weird 2 hit wakeup overhead sonic boom combo.

after you knock your opponent down, throw in a jab sonic boom early enough so that the tail end goes slightly behind the guy then overhead him. if timed correctly, the overhead should knock the guy back into the sonic boom.

You can still do that with back rh.

When you're too close back rh also gives you the god damn overhead and neutral roundhouse gives you the shitty close rh (really fucking irritating). I just use the sobat when I get that close to avoid any problems.

More genius game design from Sirlin. :rolleyes:

When you're too close back rh also gives you the god damn overhead and neutral roundhouse gives you the shitty close rh (really fucking irritating). I just use the sobat when I get that close to avoid any problems.

I think Sirlin should have given him the old AA roundhouse as neutral roundhouse from a distance.

It worked great as AA in the old WW, CE, HF, Super. Infact I should have posted it when Sirlin was taking in ideas on his web page...damn it

The upside down kick change was intentional and is good IMHO. This way you can be certain of an upside down kick no matter your distance from your opponent.

By the way has anyone found a good counter to Blanka's slide? The only counters I know for Guile are to predict and flash kick it, or to sonic boom it when Blanka starts or ends the slide, but the timing for both has to be exact. c.short trades and loses to it. Blanka's the one character that I don't have a good strategy against.

By the way has anyone found a good counter to Blanka's slide? The only counters I know for Guile are to predict and flash kick it, or to sonic boom it when Blanka starts or ends the slide, but the timing for both has to be exact. c.short trades and loses to it. Blanka's the one character that I don't have a good strategy against.

I use stand short or jump straight up fierce besides what you mentioned above.
    stand short, jump straight up fierce, and back roundhouse, as well as a correctly timed flashkick guess all beat blankas slide.

Does anyone have a good option for after you successfully overhead dictator in the corner? Seems worthless to me cause its like you give him a "get in free" card.