Family man patriarchy remix (Guile strategy thread)

Comments

• JigglyNorrisJigglyNorris The Low Tier Hero Joined: Posts: 1,279
    Can you link from cr.:lk: to cr.:mp: or cl.:hp:? If so, that's another combo/block string option. I forget what my FAQ has to say about that at the moment, but I think that's worth looking into.

Just tried it. They're both possible when done as meaties.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    J.:lk:, Cr.:lk:xxSuper.

You can safe jump with it, you can hit confirm it, and its flashy. I'd strongly recommend learning this combo if you can't already. It completely murders Boxer especially.

I'm a noob but how exactly do you hit-confirm cr.lk into super? And that's an incredibly difficult super-cancel imo. Hints?
    I'm a noob but how exactly do you hit-confirm cr.lk into super? And that's an incredibly difficult super-cancel imo. Hints?

That Super cancel is actually pretty easy. Get in down+back as soon as you're in the air, hit with the first :lk:, then do a Cr.:lk:. Do the Super motion (I use the old motion but people say the new motion works fine), and hit all three kick buttons.
  • guile_playerguile_player Joined: Posts: 14
    Is this combo with guile possible (on game speed 3 or 4), enemy has been knocked down in the corner and right as they get up you hit them with a crouching medium punch and cancel that into a sonic boom, during hit stun you hit them with a crouching medium punch and cancel that into a flash kick. I can only get up to the second crouching medium punch, I cant get the flash kick to come out, to much slow down maybe? It seems like it should be possible, or do I need to link something extra in there such as two crouching medium punches, or a crouching medium punch into a standing medium punch to buy more frames for a flash kick. So the notion would look some thing like this:

Cr. MP xx into sonic boom, Cr. MP xx into flash kick

Maybe I need to do something like this:
    Cr. MP xx into sonic boom, Cr. Mp, St. Mp xx flash kick

Before you think this is just me trying to have a combo ready for a video, you would be surprised how often I catch people in the corner and on wake up bust out Cr. MP xx into sonic boom, Cr. MP or what ever have you. If I could expand and add a flash kick in there it would make things all the sweeter. Please help, even better provide video evidence that it can be done.
  • guile_playerguile_player Joined: Posts: 14
    Is this combo with guile possible (on game speed 3 or 4), meaning I'm not going to have to deploy special tricks, that it could be done by a very talented person at a tournament. enemy has been knocked down in the corner and right as they get up you hit them with a crouching medium punch and cancel that into a sonic boom, during hit stun you hit them with a crouching medium punch and cancel that into a flash kick. I can only get up to the second crouching medium punch, I cant get the flash kick to come out, to much slow down maybe? It seems like it should be possible, or do I need to link something extra in there such as two crouching medium punches, or a crouching medium punch into a standing medium punch to buy more frames for a flash kick. So the notion would look some thing like this:

Before you think this is just me trying to have a combo ready for a video, you would be surprised how often I catch people in the corner and on wake up bust out Cr. MP xx into sonic boom, Cr. MP or what ever have you. If I could expand and add a flash kick in there it would make things all the sweeter. Please help, even better provide video evidence that it can be done.
  • ShariShari Overestimated. Joined: Posts: 2,625
    Is this combo with guile possible (on game speed 3 or 4), meaning I'm not going to have to deploy special tricks, that it could be done by a very talented person at a tournament. enemy has been knocked down in the corner and right as they get up you hit them with a crouching medium punch and cancel that into a sonic boom, during hit stun you hit them with a crouching medium punch and cancel that into a flash kick. I can only get up to the second crouching medium punch, I cant get the flash kick to come out, to much slow down maybe? It seems like it should be possible, or do I need to link something extra in there such as two crouching medium punches, or a crouching medium punch into a standing medium punch to buy more frames for a flash kick. So the notion would look some thing like this:

Can be done.

Combo video material though.

HIGHLY unlikely to pull off in an actual match.
    Haunts: Is it lag or just impeccable footsies and spacing, I don't know.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    Timing wise, this is possible, but a little tricky. You have to cancel into the first sonic boom early in the hit freeze, and the second one late. It's probably also helpful to hit the second Cr. MP late in the Sonic boom hitstun.

Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,400
    Which one of Guile's normals beats E. Honda's flying buttslam..... because Guile's crouching hp loses consistently(this match is supposedly easy but if he doesnt have a move other than fk that wins, I dont understand how)..... and does Guile's b+hk and his overhead kick go over sweeps like his f and b+mk.....
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    Which one of Guile's normals beats E. Honda's flying buttslam..... because Guile's crouching hp loses consistently(this match is supposedly easy but if he doesnt have a move other than fk that wins, I dont understand how)....

Far standing strong (i.e. mp) can beat the flying butslam, though I'm not sure the timing and spacing will always work out. You could also try close forward (mk) and backward jumping fierce (hp).
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,217
    I've seen vids of Marsgatti beating buttslams with properly spaced cr. fierce.
  • TheloThelo Holdin' down-back Joined: Posts: 1,144 mod
    Crouch fierce will sometimes beat a rising roundhouse buttslam, and often trade with a falling one. Backwards sobat will often make the buttslam whiff, then you can punish with whatever. But the real counter to buttslam is jumping fierce, that thing has crazy air-to-air priority and will beat every buttslam air-to-air.

Or just flash kick it.
    Keeping your cool is always the winning move.
    How well would Guile's backfist work as a long range antiair, I walk forward and use d+hp after my opponent hops over a sonic boom but if backfist has a good enough hitbox and a nice distance, I feel I should be using this instead....
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    It sorta works. Most of the time you'll end up trading. Spacing it can be a task as well.
  • mad possummad possum Joined: Posts: 1,091
    I find plain standing Fierce (not towards+Fierce backfist) works bettern in AA situations unless they are going to land very far away from you.
    GGPO name : madpossum
    I find plain standing Fierce (not towards+Fierce backfist) works bettern in AA situations unless they are going to land very far away from you.

This seems pretty accurate for the most part since backfist doesn't seem to have much priority, its pretty good for character's such as a boxer trying to get in e.g punishing headbutts(works in ST but strict timing MUCH easier in HDR)....

Speaking of that any matchup tips for Boxer(against a good one, don't want any unreliable gimmicks that work against someone who is only alright with Boxer)? I fucking suck in this matchup.....
  • zaspacerzaspacer Joined: Posts: 553
    1st video, sick Guile combo/set-up at 2:33 in:
    super nohoho fighter ii x: Versus Danisen Videos 070410
    streetfighterdojo.com - video library of top players
  • MarsflashMarsflash BGG BITCHES!! Joined: Posts: 401
    Incredible! Great post Zaspacer. Thank you. Muteki does so much wonders.
  • EtherGKEtherGK What a Job this izzz Joined: Posts: 60
    Question, as far as I understand in order to do cr.lk x3 super or flash kick you have to renda cancel something. Can someone explain why I have to renda cancel? How to renda cancel? Why it makes it connect? I got the cr.lk links perfect, I just don't exactly understand what I have to do afterwards to connect the flashkick/super.
  • blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072
    Question, as far as I understand in order to do cr.lk x3 super or flash kick you have to renda cancel something. Can someone explain why I have to renda cancel? How to renda cancel? Why it makes it connect? I got the cr.lk links perfect, I just don't exactly understand what I have to do afterwards to connect the flashkick/super.

Guile's cr Short is not cancellable the way his cr Jab or cr Strong is cancellable. That's why you have to kara cancel it. Renda cancelling just means using a kara cancel to combo multiple Jabs or Shorts into a Special or Super.

Example:cr Short x2, Super
    :db:, cr Short x 2, :df:, st Short, :ub: any Kick

You can combo 3 cr Shorts on bigger characters like Zangief or Hawk, but 2 cr Shorts will work on everybody. If you want to use 3 cr Shorts, you will need a 4th st Short (or even a st Jab will work) to renda cancel into the Super.
  • EtherGKEtherGK What a Job this izzz Joined: Posts: 60
    So if I understand this right, cr short cancels with another normal but not with a special move?
    So if I understand this right, cr short cancels with another normal but not with a special move?
    Actually, cr short will cancel with specials. The trick is that as soon as you do cr.short xx cr short/short/jab the cancel rules change. Moreover the rules for canceling into supers are different than the ones for canceling into specials.
  • IrrepressibleGuileIrrepressibleGuile The Power Cosmic Joined: Posts: 726
    In this vid, towards the end, pony uses the sobat kick against hawks dive, he ony does it once, but does anybody know if this is a reliable defence against the dive if the flash kick isnt charged?

Funniest Rage Quit Ever:
    HDR Hate Mail Collection:
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    It is ShootingD with Guile, which is his sub-character. Pony is also with his sub (Hawk). It is reliable from the front; if Hawk reaches Guile's leg around the knee or closer to the body he will either beat the move cleanly or trade.
  • Quick ManQuick Man Joined: Posts: 497
    Does c. short x2 into super or even c. short x2 into FK not work against Chun?
    anti chun-li strate / tips

anybody got any RELIABLE anti chun-li strate or tips for fighting against chun-li players?

thanks
    Funniest Rage Quit Ever:
  • keith-okeith-o Joined: Posts: 3
    Ugh. This and fei are my least favorite battles. I try to keep up the fb war and use sobat exclusively to counter. Everything else looses or trades if she recovers and tosses out a sweep or cr mk I force (hope for?) a jump and mix up far aa mp and cr mk. If close - walk under throw. That's pretty much all I got. Her normals are brutal for guile to deal with.
    The aa mp, cr mk and sobat do it all and, it's not easy.
    Ugh. This and fei are my least favorite battles. I try to keep up the fb war and use sobat exclusively to counter. Everything else looses or trades if she recovers and tosses out a sweep or cr mk I force (hope for?) a jump and mix up far aa mp and cr mk. If close - walk under throw. That's pretty much all I got. Her normals are brutal for guile to deal with.
    The aa mp, cr mk and sobat do it all and, it's not easy.

I used to find balrog(boxer) the hardest matchup for guile, but I put in hours against some formidable rog players and I kinda got the hang of that matchup now, but I dont come across many chun players.

I too go for the fireball war, but lose out when I try to jump in, or when chunli jumps in and I get caught by that stored super. which throw do you use against her, the back drop or the grab? If chun lie jumping in with light kick..does the AA mp work effectivly against that?
    Funniest Rage Quit Ever:
  • keith-okeith-o Joined: Posts: 3
    Mp aa: Yeah, pretty sure but needs to be timed/spaced perfecty. (I use it all the time so I assume I'm getting a mix of jumping lk and mk) If they are too close it will hit guile so I'll either go for trade with back sobat or push in and take the hit and try throw. I only use mp throw since a mp whiff (backfist) wont leave me so open.
    Yeah the super... Most chuns seem really eager to use the stored super on walk up so at least that aspect helps to make it a bit more predictable.
    I dont jump in much on good chuns since she can answer everything. In the fb war I use sobat and try to jump only from far on prediction of fb. if I jump from in close I'll use late mp- feel that gives me the best positioning to avoid the vacuum-like throw.
  • CauldrathCauldrath Joined: Posts: 617
    Speaking from the Chun side of this equation, here's some thoughts:

Air to ground, jumping lk is strictly worse than jumping mk, so a Chun will generally not be trying to use jumping lk unless she thinks you might be jumping at about the same time as her. The hitbox on jumping mk is in the back top of her sprite, so you'll be able to hit her more easily and cleanly the closer she is.

At the start of the round, my #1 goal is to get a life lead. This either requires predicting a Sonic Boom and jumping, or going in by the ground. To get in on the ground, I need to either hit Guile with a fireball (which trying that will usually get me backfisted after he counter fireballs), hit his leg when he sticks it out, or walk up and throw him if I think he's too scared to throw out any attacks.

If I get a life lead and I don't have him at a frame disadvantage, I'll usually just jump back to full screen and trade fireballs until Guile decides to come to me. (For many Guiles, this is at about 20 seconds left on the clock.) Every once in a while I'll go throw out a super just for some free chip damage if it's early in the round, but it's probably best to keep it so you can anti air with it. If I'm feeling really tricky I'll just throw you instead, though.

Some things I've seen Guiles do that's worked out well for them:

Instead of walking backwards when at a distance, jump backwards and hold down while you are in the air. This way you'll have a down charge sooner if you need to anti-air.

If you have super and Chun is trying to cross you up, use that, because it will hit behind Guile.

Don't be scared to be aggressive, especially if you don't think Chun is expecting it. You've got a really good pressure game with Booms followed by sobats, upside down kicks, and sweeps and if you get Chun in the corner, she doesn't have any easy ways out. It's also really hard for Chun to concentrate on a good offense and a good defense at the same time, so if she is rushing you down, that can be a good time to surprise her.
    My blog where I try to break games: http://cauldrath.blogspot.com/
    My videos of me trying to break games: http://www.youtube.com/user/Cauldrath
  • NarutoTheUltimateNarutoTheUltimate Joined: Posts: 6
    i have a video here that pretty much explains what you can do with guile's throws. Hope it helps a bit.
  • CauldrathCauldrath Joined: Posts: 617
    I hate to rain on your parade, since you're trying to help people out, but I think you're overcomplicating the throws. You aren't karaing those throws and, unless there is some crazy outlier I'm unaware of, you can't kara cancel into a normal throw in SF2. All you have to do is hit them and then time a throw at the same time they come out of block/hit stun. Hold left if you want them to be thrown left and right if you want them to be thrown right. It can almost seem like you are comboing into the throw because jabs and shorts tend to give very little frame advantage and, for most characters, don't do enough pushback to get you out of throw range if done point blank. I suggest putting Dictator on jump in training mode and practice timing your throws off of different attacks.
    My blog where I try to break games: http://cauldrath.blogspot.com/
    My videos of me trying to break games: http://www.youtube.com/user/Cauldrath
  • PaskyPasky Ninja with pistol! Joined: Posts: 1,863
    Does c. short x2 into super or even c. short x2 into FK not work against Chun?

It works, just gotta be real close to that stupid bitch.
    <Pasky> so you can go extra fast by just holding it?
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    <baklakiller> sure if had a penis
    <baklakiller> im a beginner gief
    anybody got any RELIABLE anti chun-li strate or tips for fighting against chun-li players?

thanks

Backfist the fireball. Don't be afraid of her ridiculously stupid hitboxed jump kicks, you can walk under her and cr. fierce to trade if you do it late, takes a lot of practice. Crossup block string i like to do on chun is J. short -> cr strong -> st strong xx boom, because if she reversal upkicks it'll miss, it's a 1 or 2 frame link to combo the st strong however.. Play lame as fuck versus chun get the life lead and just turtle, cr jab to bait her dumbass to jump and flash her. If you're in a fireball war and you see that one legged hitbox cunt coming at you don't boom, shes baiting to super through. Beware the super bar walk forward chun into empty jumping chun....she is gonna super when she lands behind you.

Yes, I hate chun, stupid hitbox.
    <bookah> turbo handjob
  • scum gale 88scum gale 88 yo! It's SYBOK! Joined: Posts: 1,739
    I think my worst matchups at the moment are Claw and on occasion T.Hawk or Ken. For some reason my dumb ass is extremely vulnerable to walls of shoryukens or dive bombs. My defense is solid enough but countering Claw or at least keeping him on the ground is really hard for me.
    Yeah there need to be more gangbang creampie porno. VAMPIRE GANGBANG CREAMPIES.
  • kevgeezkevgeez Joined: Posts: 351
    Backfist the fireball. Don't be afraid of her ridiculously stupid hitboxed jump kicks, you can walk under her and cr. fierce to trade if you do it late, takes a lot of practice. Crossup block string i like to do on chun is J. short -> cr strong -> st strong xx boom, because if she reversal upkicks it'll miss, it's a 1 or 2 frame link to combo the st strong however.. Play lame as fuck versus chun get the life lead and just turtle, cr jab to bait her dumbass to jump and flash her. If you're in a fireball war and you see that one legged hitbox cunt coming at you don't boom, shes baiting to super through. Beware the super bar walk forward chun into empty jumping chun....she is gonna super when she lands behind you.

Yes, I hate chun, stupid hitbox.
    stfu
    Chun OWNs

cr. jab will never bait a competent Chunner.
    :wgrin:
    Seeing you in Action is a Joke.
    I think my worst matchups at the moment are Claw and on occasion T.Hawk or Ken. For some reason my dumb ass is extremely vulnerable to walls of shoryukens or dive bombs. My defense is solid enough but countering Claw or at least keeping him on the ground is really hard for me.

Both Ken and T.Hawk should be no problem for Guile. Ken is ass cheeks, he can't knock down with hurricane and half the time when it hits you can still punish it. He has a slower fireball than ryu so he isn't as hard to deal with and if he has a super he doesn't really change the pace of the Match. If you're playing a tick throw happy Ken, chances are, he can't play by reaction, so if you smell a cross up into tick into knee bash, just stay crouched and take the fucken crossup hit so you can reversal the tick. A lot of people never understand sometimes you gotta take the hit so you can reversal...Don't try this versus someone who is playing reaction based though, you'll eat a dp.

T.Hawk? Just turtle like crazy, he really can't do shit except hawk dive and you can standing jab that shit or just flash it. All he's gonna do is stand just outside of your poke range and make you try to make a mistake. Just turtle his ass, he can't even jump out of footsie range anymore with that ridiculously HK flashkick in HDR.

Claw? Turtle turtle turtle. Ain't shit claw can do if you turtle the match. It's the only way to beat a good claw, just stay fucken turtling.

Also, Kevgeez....on your knees, to pleez deez nuts.
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    snip

lol, play a Hawk that actually knows what they're doing.
    Ain't shit claw can do if you turtle the match.

WTH are you smoking? Vega can Dive throw, chip with Dive Claw, walk up throw, etc. You can't just friggin turtle, you have to throw Sonic Booms, and if you trade with slides, that's fine. Guile has to make Vega scared of the Boom chip, so that he will Dive or jump and then Guile has to beat the Dive or the jumpin with j Fierce, j RH or walk up throw or jumpin himself.
    Ken has always been a Guile victim. But that strategy of taking the hit while crouching will not work on good players: they will combo cr.strong or cr.short x2 and cancel into jab shoryuken if it hits, mix Ken's stupid shit up if it doesn't. He just can't use his projectile in footsies, can be hit out of it easier then Ryu and can't spam jab SRK as much as usual cos Guile's cr.forward and standing fierce have more range than the attacks from most characters. He can win the projectile war but odds are he will be backfisted before it happens. When he does force Guile to block or jump straight up, his tatsu speed and hadouken start-up make it more troublesome to advance and throw projectiles again without getting backfisted either out of it, of after it. Ken will need some lucky SRKs or other shennanigans against good Guiles.
    WTH are you smoking? Vega can Dive throw, chip with Dive Claw, walk up throw, etc. You can't just friggin turtle, you have to throw Sonic Booms, and if you trade with slides, that's fine. Guile has to make Vega scared of the Boom chip, so that he will Dive or jump and then Guile has to beat the Dive or the jumpin with j Fierce, j RH or walk up throw or jumpin himself.

So? Just turtle, He can dive, but if you're in the corner he can't cross you up. He can jump, but if you're ready he can flash. Walk up throw? Be ready for it, Cr. jab works great against his far cr. mp, it'll trade and sometimes beat it clean. I think you misunderstand what I meant by turtle, just block all normals and throw booms when you can, if you see a fake dive boom that shit, because no one wins a match just sitting there and blocking like you seem to assume it is. Also, why the fuck would you want to trade booms with vega's slide? That trades in claw's favor and not only that he gets up faster and can gain ground, bad advice.

I didn't say it was an easy match, it's guile most annoying match, but claw can't do anything except try shenanigans to get to you if you turtle this match out, he can't really chip you because you can flash crystal flash, all he can do is bait sonic booms and flash kicks. Throwing sonic booms out to chip claw is hard and actually make him afraid of chip is even harder, because he has so many ways to get around them and his hitbox is so damn tiny when he jumps and if he trades with guile its always his favor. Like I said....turtle this match.
    Ken has always been a Guile victim. But that strategy of taking the hit while crouching will not work on good players: they will combo cr.strong or cr.short x2 and cancel into jab shoryuken if it hits, mix Ken's stupid shit up if it doesn't. He just can't use his projectile in footsies, can be hit out of it easier then Ryu and can't spam jab SRK as much as usual cos Guile's cr.forward and standing fierce have more range than the attacks from most characters. He can win the projectile war but odds are he will be backfisted before it happens. When he does force Guile to block or jump straight up, his tatsu speed and hadouken start-up make it more troublesome to advance and throw projectiles again without getting backfisted either out of it, of after it. Ken will need some lucky SRKs or other shennanigans against good Guiles.

Apparently people don't read, because I mentioned it wouldn't work on a good player.
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    I didn't know all reaction-based players were good and skilled in hit-confirming Ken's cross-up combos.
    What about boxer? I am really inexperienced with this matchup. I think I have only fought one or two on PSN who actually know how to use the character. I get locked in the corner, try to turtle and I get grabbed, try to sonic boom and I eat a headbutt, try to flash kick and I get a headbutt. That headbutt really is the biggest hurdle to get across.
  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    sounds like you need to make your move after the head butt comes out. its a charge move so he can't do it back to back.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Ah shit..    
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Guile75Guile75 Joined: Posts: 106

thanks

I main Chun.

Nowadays i mostly destroy guile players, main reason is guile players tend to want to turtle and react to chuns attacks, maybe its an online thing but that NEVER works. The only strat that works is pre charging booms (caesar) and corner trapping chun, anything else comes across as lazy play and allows me to bully guile VERY easily.
    Corner Trap.
    getting annoyed.
    ken players + non stop uppercuts + lag = RAGE.

not so much with guile though, but when I am using anyone without a projectile.
    Turtling is very effective against vega, I can vouch for that. I often find the vega players are over aggressive against guile and that leads to their demise
    Funniest Rage Quit Ever:
    Anyone want to play some matches with me? I played a few mirror matches with a very aggressive guile and it made me realize just how weak my offensive game is vs my defense. I guess I could use a few pointers from fellow guile players.
  • geogeo Official Contrarian Joined: Posts: 1,291
    pre charging booms

Uhm, I thought it was proven (by Thelo I think?) that pre charging doesn't exist.
    Just one example of ST fundamentalism on dontblowthis.com: "HDR is just another game with no relation to the Street Fighter II series" - riz0ne
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,324
    Anyone want to play some matches with me? I played a few mirror matches with a very aggressive guile and it made me realize just how weak my offensive game is vs my defense. I guess I could use a few pointers from fellow guile players.

I eat green berets for breakfast w/ gief! Hit me up if you want to get eaten, this is an open challenge to all Guile players!
    Uhm, I thought it was proven (by Thelo I think?) that pre charging doesn't exist.

Thelo tried to show with frame data and charts the difference between pre charging (b,f,b P) and normal charging (b,f P b), he wasn't trying to prove one was better or doesn't exist or anything. I also tried to analyze the difference with frame data, but couldn't find any differences between the two charging methods either, on paper at least.

In practice tho, I still say pre charging is better than normal charging (b,f P b).