The Basics Thread - Primer on YouTube!

Comments

• asianxcoreasianxcore ...In Parseltongue Joined: Posts: 2,501
    You unlock Mini Games in the shop by beating the game for the first time with a character. Whatever 2 Members or Mango Lightan/Ivan defeat Yami that/those characters Mini Games are unlocked in the shop for purchase.

Is this the only way to unlock mini-games?

I've yet to beat the game with Gold Lightan or PTX and they both show up in my mini-game selection screen.
    SFV: Nash/Necalli
    USFIV: Seth
    UMVC3: Wesker/Taskmaster/Nova
    MVC3: Wolverine/Dormammu/Akuma, Wesker/Dormammu/Akuma
    CVS2: (A) Vega/Eagle/Blanka, (N) Hibiki/Akuma/Blanka
  • wolfox_okamichawolfox_okamicha Rawr! Joined: Posts: 1,063
    They don't have to beat the game to get the mini-game (they just need to reach final stage), but are required to beat the game to get their profile.
    Howl!
  • KeitsKeits OneTrueGame.com Joined: Posts: 8,765 mod
    I left some notes in the OP that need edits.
    Visit OneTrueGame.com for information on DIVEKICK, Tunnel, and future projects.
  • ReXXXSopranoReXXXSoprano Triple Da G.O.D! Joined: Posts: 1,509
    I left some notes in the OP that need edits.

Took care of the remixed Lifebar study, which I thank you for painstakingly researching for us all. But the Barqoue Study though I'll have to get JKTRix to redo the math or I'll do it later myself. If you need any other edits done leave a note where needed and I'll clean it up the best I can. If you have anything to add feel free to add it yourself. And if there is anything you think I may need in the OP, let me know and I'll get right on it.
    They don't have to beat the game to get the mini-game (they just need to reach final stage), but are required to beat the game to get their profile.

Thanks! Not looking forward to beating Yami with Gold Lightan or PTX.
  • GHNekoGHNeko SYMPTONS INCLUDE RESETS, TICK THROWS & INPUT LAG Joined: Posts: 622
    Thanks! Not looking forward to beating Yami with Gold Lightan or PTX.

This. Lightan/PTX vs Yami = FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    A couple of things that I haven't seen elsewhere. If it is out there, my apologies.

1) Gold Lightan's Snapback was actually :hcb::snkc:
    2) I don't know when exactly it kicks in (since Training mode only lets you set your Red Meter every 10%) but:

At 20% life left, damage done to you is reduced by 20% (so if an attack would do 1000 damage, you would only take 800). Likewise, damage done by your attacks is increased by 7.5% (so if your attack would do 1000, it would do 1075 instead).

At 10% life left, damage done to you is reduced by 30% and damage done by you is increased by 12.5% (so 1000 damage would only do 700 to you and you would do 1125 instead).

I'll double check the PTX-40A snapback when I get home since I thought it only works with the :snkc: button.
    Tried out Survival today hoping it would unlock more points for the shop quicker.

Not so much

Getting 12 wins in Survival only earned 600 points.
    If you're looking at fighting to gain points you get:

Normal game vs CPU (facing Yami at the end):
    50 points per round won.
    800 total if you beat Yami

Survival:
    50 points per round won.

Time Attack:
    700 total if you beat all 8 rounds (I haven't lost early in Time Attack, though I'd guess it would be the standard 50 points per round won.)

In general, the mini games will be fastest. If you're playing any of the above, Time Attack with PTX-40A was about the fastest you could do with the most points back (he does massive damage very quickly and with the Snapback ability, you can bring in the weaker guy to finish him off whenever the CPU tries to get him out).
  • frustratedsquirrelfrustratedsquirrel Masky stripey man! Wtf is a raccoon? Joined: Posts: 3,761
    I have a question about meter building. Do you gain meter based on damage or based on a separate modifyer? For example, do you gain more meter when using a strong Baroque, or less meter when your opponent has Guts?
    From team Sp00ky's TvC stream:
    "Alex? He will put his mitts all over you dude. Like he's so grimy, he shows up to the party and is like 'RAAAGH' and rips his shirt off"
    Neither Baroque nor Life remaining has any impact on the meter you gain. The length of your combo has a slight factor though.

With Ryu I did a simple :snkb: :d::snkb: :snkc: :d::snkc:. If all 4 hits comboed I gained just under half a meter bar (doing it twice required me to press a whiffed :snka: to get that extra little bit to fill the meter exactly). If I performed the same 4 moves but paused a brief moment between the 2nd and 3rd hit (so I got 2 2hit combos instead), I gained just over a half of meter bar. (The difference between the 2 were just a couple of whiffed jabs). So other than "stronger attacks give more meter", I didn't find anything else that would affect it.
  • GHNekoGHNeko SYMPTONS INCLUDE RESETS, TICK THROWS & INPUT LAG Joined: Posts: 622
    Neither Baroque nor Life remaining has any impact on the meter you gain. The length of your combo has a slight factor though.

With Ryu I did a simple :snkb: :d::snkb: :snkc: :d::snkc:. If all 4 hits comboed I gained just under half a meter bar (doing it twice required me to press a whiffed :snka: to get that extra little bit to fill the meter exactly). If I performed the same 4 moves but paused a brief moment between the 2nd and 3rd hit (so I got 2 2hit combos instead), I gained just over a half of meter bar. (The difference between the 2 were just a couple of whiffed jabs). So other than "stronger attacks give more meter", I didn't find anything else that would affect it.

That's basically saying the Meter Scales. Which I believe was mentioned in a different thread.
  • frustratedsquirrelfrustratedsquirrel Masky stripey man! Wtf is a raccoon? Joined: Posts: 3,761
    I don't really understand Variable Hyper Combos. How do you choose which super your partner uses?

Also, what level1 supers can be used to do a normal VHC and which ones can't?
    "Alex? He will put his mitts all over you dude. Like he's so grimy, he shows up to the party and is like 'RAAAGH' and rips his shirt off"
    You don't choose. While you have control over the one your main player does (since you entered the command and hit the Partner button to have them jump in too), it's fixed as far as which one your partner does.

Not exactly sure which you mean by your second question. Which ones can you bring your partner in so you're both doing it at the same time (as far as I've seen, all can be used) or the Delayed Hyper Combo where you're interrupting yours with your partners (and possibly back to yours again).
    Ok, what I meant was that some level 1 supers cannot be used to start a Variable Hyper Combo while others can.

I just wanted to know which ones. For example, Polymer's drill can be used in a VHC, but his hurricane grab cannot.

And I'm not talking about Delayed Hyper Combos.
    Oh you mean which ones you get when you call your partner along. (Pardon me if the names aren't completely correct.)

Ryu - Shinkuu Hadouken
    Chun-Li - Kikou-Shou
    Morrigan - Finishing Shower
    Alex - Boomerang Raid
    Batsu - Zenkai Kiaidan (big fireball)
    Rock - Machine Gun Sweep
    Soki - Joukaken
    Roll - Turbo Roll Sweep
    Saki - Positron Storm
    Viewtiful Joe - Six Machine Cannon
    Ken the Eagle - Kagaku Ninpou Bird Smash
    Jun the Swan - Scratch Burst (the yo-yo super)
    Casshern - Brutal Axe (the geyser)
    Tekkaman - Daikaiten Tech Lancer (optic blast!)
    Hurricane Polymer - Henshin Polymer Drill (the car super)
    Yatterman-1 - Tokkoutai Yatter Wan (the machine running across the screen)
    Karas - Zaneijin
    Doronjo - Zen Tehakokokara (big ball drop)
    Hakusho Daimao - Honka Kutekini (punch super)
    Ippatsuman - Ippatsu Gakuten Homerun

Your main character can do any L1 Super though not merely what's on the list. So Roll could heal while Ryu jumps in with the Shinkuu Hadouken.
    Thanks a lot. That's exacty what I wanted to know.

It will come in handy for the megaman VHC/DHC thread I'm making over on the Rock board.
  • DivemanDiveman Loli-zoning Joined: Posts: 2,657
    just a little name correction

on polymar is Henshin (transformation) nor Tenshin (something related to the sky I guess)

and yatterman its Yatter-wan(the dog-mecha) , not one. (Wan its bark in japanese)
    Fixed. Thanks.
  • dizzynecrodizzynecro Joined: Posts: 645

it looks like baroque allows you to assist again in the same combo.(from the polymar thread.)
  • Atb_555Atb_555 www.neoempire.com Joined: Posts: 1,536
    I dont think so. Its a bit hard to see but just before he calls out Ryu the "Assist Ready" message in blue pops up. Basically Polymer's combo was long enough to allow Ryu assist to come out again.
    Nose picking is one of life's greatest treasures...
  • DivemanDiveman Loli-zoning Joined: Posts: 2,657
    I wonder if thats like corner specific, because I cant seem to do a midscreen polymar combo thats long enought to have my assist back (Jun).

I dont know if you can do this mid-screen:

with polymar: combo into :snkc:, Baroque, Air dash :snkc: and continue. Ive only seen that in the corner, dunno if its posible to perform that mid-screen
    I thought that assist ready would not normally pop up until you dropped the combo.
    EDIT: After studying the video, I'm pretty sure that assist is reset by baroque. Notice that after a relatively short time, Ryu's portrait turns from static to to "assist ok". (as if he had dropped the combo) , almost immediately after the baroque. Then after the second assist a much longer time passes, but Ryu's portrait stays static(probably because there is no second baroque). until he drops the combo for the reset. Needs testing for sure but its worth noting.
  • Demon DashDemon Dash Hyper Viper Raccoon! Joined: Posts: 5,880
    Can anyone confirm that you gain a second Baroque after a Mega Crash mid combo?
    "I'm speculating that it was M.O.D.O.K. that tore my dog's ACL. That crazy maniac was flying his hoverchair DRUNK. DRUNK on POWER. And booze. But mostly on POWER!" - corrosivefrost :rofl:
  • jimmy1200jimmy1200 Joined: Posts: 8,872
    ill try it right now for you. one second
    LEMME GET DAT!
    doesnt appear to be letting me. im trying it with chun. the system keeps you in a baroque state the whole time, and even mega crashing doesnt reset it, because in chuns case, i can still combo and it connects after megacrashing with her in her air combo. so as long as my window to combo is open, im stuck in the baroque state until the combo ends, and i tried calling out ryu as an assist to see if it would cancel it, but it didnt. so short of something we dont know about yet, like a glitch or something, it seems the answer is no.

ill keep messing around with it though
    LEMME GET DAT!
    That's what I thought... I remember people theorising it, makes sense but I couldn't get it to work either...
    "I'm speculating that it was M.O.D.O.K. that tore my dog's ACL. That crazy maniac was flying his hoverchair DRUNK. DRUNK on POWER. And booze. But mostly on POWER!" - corrosivefrost :rofl:
    The thing is when you BBQ then Mega Crash, the crash counts towards your combo counter, so you'd have to wait for a half second or less to let your combo meter fade. But if I recall correctly, Mega Crash has okay hitstun, so could probably Mega Crash and wait and attack again while your opponent is in hitstun.
    The thing is when you BBQ then Mega Crash, the crash counts towards your combo counter, so you'd have to wait for a half second or less to let your combo meter fade. But if I recall correctly, Mega Crash has okay hitstun, so could probably Mega Crash and wait and attack again while your opponent is in hitstun.
    Yeah you can, I was just wondering if you can combo even more afterwards lol...
    Ah. Probably, but as long as that combo meter is up, no second baroque.
  • maelstrom218maelstrom218 u-air -> f-smash Joined: Posts: 471
    Alright, some random questions that I could use some help with. . .I'm something of a beginner, so bear with me.

1. Is there any way to figure out if I'm TK'ing a move or not (i.e. visual cues)? I'm thinking specifically of Ryu's hurricane kick.

2. Is there IAD in this game (instant air dashing)? I've been trying to IAD the way you do in GGXX (9 -> 6), but either my TV's lag is killing it, or it doesn't work that way. I've tried jump + ABC, but the height's kind of high.
    SSBM: Mario, Captain Falcon, Luigi
    GG^C: Sol, Bridget, Ky
    TvC: Rock, Ryu
    yeah, if you tk like ryus fireball right, you will slightly jump up, and then immediately cancel into the fireball. so thats kinda your que. you jump and go into the special all in one movement.

yes there is instant air dashing. you should find that info in this thread. maybe at the beginning.
    LEMME GET DAT!
    IAD is easy in this game, just jump+abc
    You can tell you did a TK hurricaine kick as the TK will keep the opponent standing, where as the grounded version will lift them in the air...
  • maelstrom218maelstrom218 u-air -> f-smash Joined: Posts: 471
    Ah, I see. Thanks guys, things are much clearer now. :rofl:
    SSBM: Mario, Captain Falcon, Luigi
    GG^C: Sol, Bridget, Ky
    TvC: Rock, Ryu
  • SamuraiPanda001SamuraiPanda001 Joined: Posts: 175
    Can someone better explain how to do a snap back attack? I can't get it for the life of me.
    Only 4 characters have a Snapback Attack: Alex, Daimao, PTX-40A, and Gold Lightan. Except for Alex, you simply perform the move (with the :snkc: button) to get the Snapback. For Daimao it's his Genie Bottle attack, for PTX it's his dash across the screen, for GL it's a roundhouse kick (they have to be in the air whether they're jumping or you knocked them into the air for the kick to hit).

For Alex, it's a 2 part move. He has to do his Dash Elbow first (any button). If that hits, immediately do :dp::snkc: and if that hits, they're Snapped back.
    Not sure if this has been discussed, but whatever... 3C > 8A+B+C+D is an awesome combo extender in the corner. I've been using it qyuite a lot to gain a bit extra damage, it's costly in some cases, but if it's for the kill it can sometimes be worth it.

One good thing about it is it has a lot of hieght variations, the launchers leave the opponent unable to do anything, so you can take as much or as little time as you like (within a limited ammount of course), finding the right height for your character. Simply, 3C in the corner, allow them to float up a bit (by that I mean stay on the ground) and up cancel into Mega Crash. They'll go up, you'll stay on the ground and you can easilly follow up with more hits.

One funny thing is if you up cancel Mega Crash fast enough, they'll be invincible during it and it will be for nothing. SO make sure to allow them that little bit height before doing it...
    So, I figured the health data on the front page was probably a bit inaccurate, due to the way it was measured. I couldn't find any more accurate data anywhere else, so I hope I didn't waste my time when I decided to measure out more accurate health data, by setting the damage level to the minimum, measuring out the damage on two attacks, and seeing how many hits of each it takes to get a character of each health level (I tested two cases and they worked out, so I'm just going to assume that everyone listed as having identical health actually does) to the points where 1. The damage they take shrinks, 2. The damage they take shrinks again, 3. They're felled. After getting those numbers, multiplying by the damage gives an accurate range on the HP. Two attacks are used in order to bind the HP more closely as per the following formula:

LowerBound = 1 + max(Attack1.Hits * Attack1.Damage + Attack1.HitsScale1 * Attack1.DamageScale1 + (Attack1.HitsScale2 - 1) + Attack1.DamageScale2, Attack2.Hits * Attack2.Damage + Attack2.HitsScale1 * Attack2.DamageScale1 + (Attack2.HitsScale2 - 1) + Attack2.DamageScale2);
    UpperBound = min(Attack1.Hits * Attack1.Damage + Attack1.HitsScale1 * Attack1.DamageScale1 + Attack1.HitsScale2 + Attack1.DamageScale2, Attack2.Hits * Attack2.Damage + Attack2.HitsScale1 * Attack2.DamageScale1 + Attack2.HitsScale2 + Attack1.DamageScale2);

I could theoretically try this with every attack at every damage level in order to get it nigh-perfectly, but that would be way more time than I'm willing to devote to this, and this gives precision within a few hundred anyway which is all that's going to matter the vast majority of the time. The attacks I used were Roll's A and 2A, which under minimum damage level decay from 626 to 500 to 438, and from 556 to 444 to 389 respectively. But anyway, these are definitely accurate HP ranges.

Karas: 38188 to 38302 HP

Roll: 40188 to 40492 HP

Rock, Yatterman: 41852 to 42240 HP

Ken, Jun, Morrigan, Saki: 44123 to 44301 HP

Joe, Chun-Li, Ippatsuman: 46001 to 46246 HP

Ryu, Polymar, Batsu, Doronjo: 47970 to 48190 HP

Casshern: 49943 to 50026 HP

Souki: 51758 to 52093 HP

Daimao, Alex, Tekkaman: 54029 to 54386 HP

PTX-40A: 63923 to 64256 HP

Gold Lightan: 70094 to 70370 HP

Also, another thing I've found that I haven't seen anywhere on SRK: You do more damage when in danger, it's not just that you take less damage. It's less noticeable, though. When you're below .25 life damage to you scales to .8, and damage you deal scales to 1.075. Further, when you're below .125 life damage to you scales to .7, and damage you deal scales to 1.125.
  • KeitsKeits OneTrueGame.com Joined: Posts: 8,765 mod
    These are almost exactly the same as my numbers, but with 1-2k added to each group. Ive also seen 100% life combo videos and Karas dies at about 37-38k, so while neither of our numbers are going to perfect, they are close enough to give people the idea of who has more/less HP.
    Visit OneTrueGame.com for information on DIVEKICK, Tunnel, and future projects.
    These are almost exactly the same as my numbers, but with 1-2k added to each group. Ive also seen 100% life combo videos and Karas dies at about 37-38k, so while neither of our numbers are going to perfect, they are close enough to give people the idea of who has more/less HP.

Your life was never that inaccurate, I just felt it would be worthwhile to measure it with a more exacting technique, is all. And, could you give a link to a video where he dies below the range I specify? I just seems off to me.
    So I just noticed something in training mode. If you set the dummy to s.jump and all guard, it wont turn around as you walk under it. As a concequence, the computer can't block the jumping cross up. This is just a typical training bug right? I'm aware characters tend to turn around when they land, but it can't be unblockable surely...

Edit: Anyone? I noticed in the vid Keits posted that there is actually unlbockables and the dummy can't aviod it. If this is actually unblockable, I have some ideas for guard break set ups, but can't test blocking the "cross up" on my own as I've only got one controler...
  • SylenceSylence Charge-shot Lurker Joined: Posts: 354
    Got nothing to contribute, except to suggest that the first post be updated with the "Guts" damage-scaling data from here:
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=5899715&postcount=58
    and here:
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=171628
  • brighennebrighenne Joined: Posts: 799
    Is it possible to have one player on a gamecube controller and one player on a classic controller? I've searched around but can't seem to find anyone mentioning this.

Is it possible to have one player on a gamecube controller and one player on a classic controller? I've searched around but can't seem to find anyone mentioning this.

This is indeed possible. GC controller goes into either port 1 or 2, and any style of wiimote control will use whatever side GC doesn't take.
    Has anyone else wondered why if this game is Japanese-only, the in-game menus are in English aka Pause menu?
  • wolfox_okamichawolfox_okamicha Rawr! Joined: Posts: 1,063
    Has anyone else wondered why if this game is Japanese-only, the in-game menus are in English aka Pause menu?

It's been like that since X-men vs. Street Fighter.
    Howl!
    Really? Dang. I had no clue.
    The first game I really remember seeing with a lot of Japanese text was Arcana Heart. There's probably one or two I've missed along the line, but it deffinately wasn't an uncommon trend...
    So I just noticed something in training mode. If you set the dummy to s.jump and all guard, it wont turn around as you walk under it. As a concequence, the computer can't block the jumping cross up. This is just a typical training bug right? I'm aware characters tend to turn around when they land, but it can't be unblockable surely...

Edit: Anyone? I noticed in the vid Keits posted that there is actually unlbockables and the dummy can't aviod it. If this is actually unblockable, I have some ideas for guard break set ups, but can't test blocking the "cross up" on my own as I've only got one controler...

Anyone?
  • KryianKryian Joined: Posts: 945
    It's just a training mode bug, for whatever reason the dummy just won't block if you cross them up like that while they're in the air.
    "Speaking of calling out i think everyone here plays characters they like mostly except for Logan who goes top tier or bust. Just look at his religion he couldn't praise regular Jesus he had to go to that top shelf Jesus you don't even see on the holidays." - Project