The Basics Thread - Primer on YouTube!

Comments

• MinistryMinistry Joined: Posts: 184
    I need some help with combos.

Everybody seems to post combos that start off in the 5 neutral position,but I am just getting pummled when i whif.

is there any way to poke from a crouch and then go up to the magic series 5a 5b 2b 3c

Or what is the best aproach to start those combos off that start in the neutral position.
  • fantasystarfantasystar .....! Joined: Posts: 205
    neutral is just standing you don't neccesarily have to start it with that you can go low by holding d/b (crouch block)+L attck. Zero will do a short low kick and go into combo from there. Also landing an overhead such as a jump in or IAD attack can go into neutral 5A. You'll have to mix it up and capitalize on a mistake such as an opponent who got his shoryu blocked or whiffed a move w/ recovery.
    I hate words.
  • RomuskaRomuska Dark Love Joined: Posts: 184
    You have it right.

LMH
    P

Cool. Thanks a lot.
    "Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!" - Black Dynamite
  • OneSicBunnyOneSicBunny Joined: Posts: 54
    Hey guys, I'm hopefully getting this game in the post tomorrow. I've had a quick flick through the start of the post but as its getting late and I've been up for about 30hrs and need sleep I figure it's gonna be quicker to just ask...

As I have no real knowledge of this game (I've played it once, but enjoyed it, especially when I busted out Roll's giant bucket super - please excuse me not knowing the correct name) I was wondering if there are maybe a couple of characters that would be recommended to play with to get to grips with the way the combo system & game mechanics etc work? I know a lot of it will be trial and error and everyone will have an opinion, but if there's anyone particularly useful in this area, any advice would be appreciated. I'm sure given a bit of time I'll find a combination of characters to my liking and style, but for the meantime I just want to get off to a good start.

I'm a slightly above average SFIV player and main with Cammy if that would make any difference. Just looking forward to sinking my teeth in TvC and ripping it up at work when I go back on Monday! :-)
  • frustratedsquirrelfrustratedsquirrel Masky stripey man! Wtf is a raccoon? Joined: Posts: 3,761
    You can never go wrong with Chun Li. She will teach you the basics of how to combo and how to do air raves. Also Jun the Swan is a great character for the transition from beginner to intermediate, as she's simple to control and use, but has doors that lead to interesting new concepts. Batsu is another character you should try. He's easy and he'll teach you how to string specials together in an air combo, which a few other more advanced characters are capable of doing too.
    From team Sp00ky's TvC stream:
    "Alex? He will put his mitts all over you dude. Like he's so grimy, he shows up to the party and is like 'RAAAGH' and rips his shirt off"
  • ChlorophylleChlorophylle Joined: Posts: 74
    Ok guys it may sound stupid ( it IS stupid ) but i don't know how to break away from PTX's stupid ugly " loop " throw in the corner. -__-
    It's a normal throw, i know i should tech it with a 4/6 C but... i don't know, it doesn't work.
  • jmcroftsjmcrofts Chilldog Joined: Posts: 1,235
    Ok guys it may sound stupid ( it IS stupid ) but i don't know how to break away from PTX's stupid ugly " loop " throw in the corner. -__-
    It's a normal throw, i know i should tech it with a 4/6 C but... i don't know, it doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure you just mash on buttons and you can break out. Be careful not to hit P though because you might accidentally megacrash.
  • KeitsKeits OneTrueGame.com Joined: Posts: 8,765 mod
    Yup, you can mash out of giants throws.
    Visit OneTrueGame.com for information on DIVEKICK, Tunnel, and future projects.
  • OneSicBunnyOneSicBunny Joined: Posts: 54
    You can never go wrong with Chun Li. She will teach you the basics of how to combo and how to do air raves. Also Jun the Swan is a great character for the transition from beginner to intermediate, as she's simple to control and use, but has doors that lead to interesting new concepts. Batsu is another character you should try. He's easy and he'll teach you how to string specials together in an air combo, which a few other more advanced characters are capable of doing too.

Thanks dude, that's exactly what I was after :-) Annoyingly my copy still hasn't arrived yet, so here's hoping it will be gracing my doorstep tomorrow morning!
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Does this game have SuperFlash Input?
    Say for example, Ryu dashes up close and unleashes a close-range ShinHadoken. During the superflash as he's focusing up, can I say press the input for Casshern's Catapult Knee, and then when the flash finishes and the hadoken goes off, my Catapult knee goes off at the same time, and since it has SuperArmor frames, it knocks Ryu away?
  • frustratedsquirrelfrustratedsquirrel Masky stripey man! Wtf is a raccoon? Joined: Posts: 3,761
    Does this game have SuperFlash Input?
    Say for example, Ryu dashes up close and unleashes a close-range ShinHadoken. During the superflash as he's focusing up, can I say press the input for Casshern's Catapult Knee, and then when the flash finishes and the hadoken goes off, my Catapult knee goes off at the same time, and since it has SuperArmor frames, it knocks Ryu away?

Yeah it does. There was a demonstration of that in the latest tournament, with some guys using specials and supers to avoid Doronjo's counter super.
    "Alex? He will put his mitts all over you dude. Like he's so grimy, he shows up to the party and is like 'RAAAGH' and rips his shirt off"
    Thats not entirely correct. While you can input during the flash, it will not compile your inputs afterward, so you actually have to very specifically time what you are doing to end when their flash ends, and for the most part, you are going to get hit a lot learning what works and what does not. Shinkuu Hadouken is really fast. If you are in range to do Casshan's knee, you are going to get hit if you try it.
  • yourmotheryourmother 大五 運命腹 Joined: Posts: 1,528

A quick vid I made explaining a couple changes in air combo mechanics from the last game.
    TvC Brah
  • SamuraiPanda001SamuraiPanda001 Joined: Posts: 175
    When you baroque prior to a VAR, does the increased damage count for the character you switched into or no? It'd be way too strong with that AND resetting the damage scaling, so I'm assuming no, but I've never tried it.
    Not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but does anyone have any advice on fighting Soki with Zero? My strategy was to just rush in with zero and overwhelm him with speed while maintaing some range but it didn't really work and I got nailed hard. Help?
  • jmcroftsjmcrofts Chilldog Joined: Posts: 1,235
    When you baroque prior to a VAR, does the increased damage count for the character you switched into or no? It'd be way too strong with that AND resetting the damage scaling, so I'm assuming no, but I've never tried it.

Baroque does not carry over across a VAR, however the character who is pulled out retains any red life they may have had while they were on the bench, so you can baroque, VAR, then baroque again if you have the red life.
  • GHNekoGHNeko SYMPTONS INCLUDE RESETS, TICK THROWS & INPUT LAG Joined: Posts: 622
    Not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but does anyone have any advice on fighting Soki with Zero? My strategy was to just rush in with zero and overwhelm him with speed while maintaing some range but it didn't really work and I got nailed hard. Help?

Stay higher than Saki.

Works for me.
    Stay higher than Saki.

Works for me.

I said Soki, not Saki.

Edit: Although I guess the mix up was my fault. I didn't think his name had a" u" in it.
  • GHNekoGHNeko SYMPTONS INCLUDE RESETS, TICK THROWS & INPUT LAG Joined: Posts: 622
    oh. um i cant be too sure. I rely more on mega and Zero against Soki.
  • SamuraiPanda001SamuraiPanda001 Joined: Posts: 175
    Thanks Keits.

And as for Souki, well, he's a real bitch to fight for a bunch of characters IMO. But I think he might be shut down by the new grab mechanics. I won't know that for sure until I get better with them, though.
  • .Guy..Guy. STUPID SEXY ROCKET RACCOON! Joined: Posts: 1,927
    The grab mechanics HELP him. :P
    Lieutenant Colonel of the M.O.D.O.K. AVENGERS
    MadTitan brand toothpaste, for the god-like toothy smile. Get it now!
    (Not responsible for the loss of YOUR SOUL)
    UMvC3: Joe/RR/Assmaster, Joe/FrankBest/RR
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    Depends on the situation. The new mechanics help and hurt everyone.
    Is all 5 meters of Hyper equal?
    Say one is at Level4.
    And the other is at Level1.
    Will it take the level4 the same amt of meter building to reach MaxLevel5, as just from Level1-toLevel2? Or does the meters need more as it gets higher?
  • HEY-NOWHEY-NOW Joined: Posts: 36
    Hey guys, I picked up TvC today and I'm pretty clueless . I'm pretty much just trying to learn the mechanics but I'm having trouble finding a team.

Would Ryu/Jun or Jun/Ryu by a good team to start learning the game? If so which would be best on point?

I know you are probably sick of these kinds of questions lol
    mortalkombatunited.com
    Is all 5 meters of Hyper equal?
    Say one is at Level4.
    And the other is at Level1.
    Will it take the level4 the same amt of meter building to reach MaxLevel5, as just from Level1-toLevel2? Or does the meters need more as it gets higher?

It's the same. If you can go from empty meter to 1 bar with 9 hits, then if you're at 3 bar you can also get to 4 bar with the same 9 hits.
    I think Ryu, Morrigan, Jun, and Polymar work best with Blade, but you can also get use out of Chun, Alex, Ippatsuman, Roll, and rockman. Really anyone with a slightly forward moving assist helps him with his yo-yo game.

HEY-NOW --> I dont think Jun is great for beginers, but Ryu is. Jun isnt super advanced or anything, but definitely a little harder than say, Chun or Batsu. Just play who you like and tough it out.
  • HEY-NOWHEY-NOW Joined: Posts: 36
    Thanks Keits then Jun/Ryu it will be. Atleast for now.
    mortalkombatunited.com
    Lemme clarify unlocking costumes. It works the same way as unlocking a character's ending. Whichever character gets the last hit on Ptx/lightan (3rd) & Yami (4th) unlocks the costume for them. After purchasing the costume in the shop, press A for 3rd costume or B for 4th Costume. If the color is default it menas you havent unlock/purchaed the costume yet.
    Is there a way to baroque well with the GC controller?
    With A, Y and B is too difficult and with A, Y and L is more difficult because L is difficult to coordinate with A and Y.

I need buy a classic pro.
  • ArttronikArttronik Dash punch all day Joined: Posts: 76
    Keits, thanks for your video and help here. I have friends who were never great at fighters and I tried to teach them, your video was a good segueway into this game. My friends who play CGOH got it, but the new ones sure didnt. So...thanks, it was a helpful thing for them, and sure saved me lots of explanation!
  • Ring-OutRing-Out Joined: Posts: 3
    Sup.
    So yesterday while playing my opponent called out Casshern as an assist, but instead of doing his assist attack Casshern did his dp super instead and hopped back off screen.
  • MariodoodMariodood You Cant Escape..O_o Joined: Posts: 1,458
    Hey guys. Im trying to learn this game, I figured I'd pick PTX-40A because I like oversized dudes and because that way I only have to learn to play one character (also hes just pretty fuckin cool). Im trying to do his 2B -> 6B4B -> Riot Tackle and I can't get the timing consistently at all. I can kinda do 2B->6B4B consistently but I barely have any time to charge for the riot tackle after the 6B4B (because I lose my charge when I hit 6B). So I usually don't have a charge or I riot tackle too late. Anyone have advice?
    I've played this for about two weeks. It's the first fighting game I've ever taken so seriously besides smash.
    I'm working and getting better every day. I can variable are rave and all that nuts thanks to good old training mode.

The one thing I am having trouble with is the variable counter. I know how to do it but I can't do it consistently. I think this is because I can't really practice it. It's not like I can set the CPU to mashing A or a dash attack to where I can learn the timing and follow ups. Basically, I need a good way to practice the variable counter. Can anybody help me?
  • ZachZach Joined: Posts: 273
    I've played this for about two weeks. It's the first fighting game I've ever taken so seriously besides smash.
    I'm working and getting better every day. I can variable are rave and all that nuts thanks to good old training mode.

The one thing I am having trouble with is the variable counter. I know how to do it but I can't do it consistently. I think this is because I can't really practice it. It's not like I can set the CPU to mashing A or a dash attack to where I can learn the timing and follow ups. Basically, I need a good way to practice the variable counter. Can anybody help me?

Your best bet then, other then having a friend do this for you, is to have the CPU set to a high difficulty (they attack more often the higher the difficulty) and just block and respond to whatever the CPU does.
    XBL: Sultan of Sw1ng
    PSN: Crouching_Fierce

SFV: Rashid, Urien --- MKX: Tremor (Aftershock), Triborg (?)
    IGAU: K.Frost --- KoF13: Kyo/Billy/Iori --- USF4: Rufus
    CvS2: C-Claw/Guile/r2.Cammy --- HDR: Dictator --- SF3: Urien

www.eventhubs.com/profile/kavka/?page=1
  • anton123anton123 Joined: Posts: 66
    Huge props to Keits for his basic thread and video. It's all I needed to get back into TVC after getting tired of CGoH. :)
    I'm pretty sure everyone knows about this already, but I found something odd while playing around with otg hitting moves.

If you attack an opponent with an OTG hitting move while they're performing a forced quick roll recovery (the one you get after hitting them out of the sky with a C attack before an air combo registers) they actually end up either stumbling or falling back onto their backs again.
  • wolfox_okamichawolfox_okamicha Rawr! Joined: Posts: 1,063
    Say, Tekka can't do double Ferriswheels right? Can you do a Ferriswheel -> brq -> Ferrishwheel?
    Howl!
  • Cheech WizardCheech Wizard Joined: Posts: 3,583
    Are there anti airs in this game?I find it really hard to get out of corner pressure,my opponent will go through the pattern of jumping him with some light pokes spamming them until the blockstun pushes them away,then they will either walk in with some more light attacks or go for a throw.If I try to tech,they just get me with some jabs into air combo.If I don't tech I get thrown.If I try and attack them all of their moves seem to outprioritise mine.I play Casshan/Ryu and all of their special moves seem to have quite a bit of startup/invulnerability,I also can't go from db to a dp motion(or whatever move) in time with the holes in my opponents blockstring.I also can't call out for an assist because you have to go to neutral to use your assist partner, which means I"m open to an attack again.They don't seem to have any get off me moves, besides the mega crush which I hate wasting meter for.

Another problem I've been having is when my opponent does some blockstring on me that ends in a normal move that should make them vulnerable,yet when I counter attack with my own cr.B or cr.C,they are able to block it and I'm left vulnerable.
    Slow and steady wins the race
  • wolfox_okamichawolfox_okamicha Rawr! Joined: Posts: 1,063
    Good AAs for all chars

Ryu - shoryuken
    Chun-Li - tenshoukyaku
    Alex - his standing fierce or his air grab
    Batsu - his launcher is a better AA than guts upper
    Morrigan - shadow blade or 6C
    Souki - his launcher has a disjointed hitbox afaik
    Volnutt - crouching buster, crouching machine buster, crouching drill arm
    PTX - jC
    Roll - her launcher
    Saki - her launcher
    VJoe - this one is hard...
    Frank - fierce zombie call or his 5C
    Zero - ryuenjin
    Ken - 5C
    Tekkaman - B or C tek win, galaxy spin
    Casshan - boulder chop or A friender
    Polimar - handousandangiri, 6C
    Lightan - jabs
    Yatter1 - 5B or 5C
    Doronjo - 3C or 2C
    Karas - swordyuken
    Jun - really poor but her dp B or C
    Ippatsuman - uppercut (full vertical)
    Yatter2 - B mashing
    Blade - 3C, d~u A/B
    Condor - dp ABC or b~f C
    Howl!
    Say, Tekka can't do double Ferriswheels right? Can you do a Ferriswheel -> brq -> Ferrishwheel?

He can do double ferris wheel...
  • PhampyPhampy Joined: Posts: 332

He can do double ferriswheel in a combo in the air as well as outside a combo to runaway though I haven't figured out quite how to do it yet. I wasn't sure if he was able to or not still but I recently saw a video on niconico where a Tekkaman player did double ferriswheel to stall in the air.

Edit: Figured out how to do double ferriswheel in the air without hitting the opponent in a combo. You need to do an aerial attack before initiating the double ferriswheel for anyone that's curious.
    UMvC3: Zero/Ironman/Ammy, Zero/Strange/Ironman, Ammy/Phoenix Wright/Zero
  • Gotcha!Gotcha! Joined: Posts: 232
    Thanks for the thread, and big thanks to Keits.
    "I could get cash for this gold medallion of me wearing a gold medallion!" -MC Hammer
  • durrrrdurrrr Joined: Posts: 160
    sorry just have some notation questions.

dj.B(2),
    dj.B(2),
    dj.C

dont know what these mean.
    hope u doie f godngodong
    Hey Keits, what is a solid beginner team, preferably one that's flashy? I don't mean long combos, I mean the maximum amount of shiny and cool animations and explosions and junk.
    Ryu, Chun, Ippatsu, Batsu, and Zero seem to work well for beginners. Play and see what you like!
    sorry just have some notation questions.

dj.B(2),
    dj.B(2),
    dj.C

dont know what these mean.

"dj." means "double jump"; "jc." means "jump cancel" <-- these two mean the same thing, some people use them interchangeably
    "(2)" means " let the attack hit twice"
    "j." means "jump"
    "sj." means "super jump", this automatically happens when you press up from a launcher

Now, that specific notation is a bit ambiguous. In case you're wondering, your not double jumping three times. Also, there is only one character that I know of with an aerial B that hits twice, that being Yatterman2. So I figure you're talking about a Yatterman2 combo. So, with that said, you're probably referencing a combo that goes something like this:

w/ Yatterman2
    launch attack, press up, press A, press A, press B(let it hit twice), press B(let it hit twice), press up (this is the dj.), press b(let it hit twice), press b(let it hit twice), press C

What is a reset, and why are they useful?

Unless i'm mistaken on what you mean, a reset "resets" the damage scaling. Obviously this is useful since it allows you to do big combos while keeping the damage from each hit from being pitiful.

A reset is anything that attempts to "recombo" a character, effectively resetting the combo meter. Generally, resets are divided into 'unblockable resets' and 'mix-up resets.'

'Unblockable resets' are generally inescapable. Plenty of characters have these:
    Polymar: air throw super resets
    Ippatsuman: air throw super resets
    Saki: unblockable shot resets
    Casshern: C Denkou Punch resets
    Karas: 6C resets
    Alex: air power bomb resets, air throw knee resets, grounded hyper bomb resets, C flash chop resets
    Yatterman#2: 5C/2C resets
    PTX: unblockable missile resets
    ...Morrigan: she might have unblockable command throw resets, I'm not sure though, so don't quote me on this one

Edit: I think Frank and Doronjo also have unblockable resets, once again, don't quote me on them

a video example:

in the first two combos Casshern resets the opponent with a virtually unavoidable unblockable to essentially combo the opponent twice. The third combo shows a polymar air throw super reset. The benefit of this is that by resetting the combo meter and resetting damage scaling you end up doing great damage without the cost of much (or any) meter.

'Mix-up resets' are able to be escaped, but this is usually difficult to do so because they employ methods of mix-up that are either ambiguous or difficult to respond to. Generally, these mix-ups employ normal throws, normal air throws, command throws, overhead attacks, low-hitting attacks and cross-up attacks.

a video example:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/trag13#p/u/23/spglRglg6Do
    you'll notice at the 5 second mark the combo meter resets with a cross-up reset. This reset, as noted, is escapable, but very difficult to do so because you don't know what option your opponent might employ.

Or, in shorthand, what Taurus said.

• durrrrdurrrr Joined: Posts: 160
    "dj." means "double jump"; "jc." means "jump cancel" <-- these two mean the same thing, some people use them interchangeably
    "(2)" means " let the attack hit twice"
    "j." means "jump"
    "sj." means "super jump", this automatically happens when you press up from a launcher

Now, that specific notation is a bit ambiguous. In case you're wondering, your not double jumping three times. Also, there is only one character that I know of with an aerial B that hits twice, that being Yatterman2. So I figure you're talking about a Yatterman2 combo. So, with that said, you're probably referencing a combo that goes something like this:

w/ Yatterman2
    launch attack, press up, press A, press A, press B(let it hit twice), press B(let it hit twice), press up (this is the dj.), press b(let it hit twice), press b(let it hit twice), press C

tyty
    hope u doie f godngodong