" Is That A New SPRITE?? " Morrigan Thread

InfamousInfamous Joined: Posts: 101
Didn't see a thread for her yet so I thought I would start one :woot:

Special Moves
Soul Fist - :qcf:+:snka: or :snkb: or :snkc: (Can be performed in air)

Shadow Blade :dp:+ :snka: or :snkb: or :snkc: (Can be performed in air)

Vector Drain - :hcb: + :snka: or :snkb: or :snkc:

Drill Kick- While in the air :qcb:+:snkc:

Hyper Combos

Finishing Shower - :qcf: + :3p:
This may or may not be something special to talk about (I don't see it here...) but it is possible to direct Finishing Shower. Holding up/down directs the missiles in that direction; they still move forward but in a half-parabola, towards the opponent. I haven't tried messing with other directions, though.

Just to be clear, here's an example
Up:
>
>
M

Neutral
---->
M ---->
---->

Down:
M
---->
---->

I don't know if there's more application to this besides some super zoning but I'll leave that to the better Morrigan players to work out :)

Valkyrie Turn - :hcb: + :3p:

Darkness Illusion - :bdp: + :3p: (Lvl 3)

Misc. Stuff

*:snkc: can eat through Advanced Guards. If someone is constantly AG'ing I usually repeat until I'm close enough to get them with a vector drain. Very situational but interesting nonetheless.

*Morrigan's Air dashing makes it really easy to pursue and retreat. I personally like IAD with her :snkc: or trying :IAD: :snkb: (jump cancel) AD :snkc:

*Lvl 3 can be chained with almost all her moves

*Vector Drain Can be comboed into ( can also be Mega Crashed)

*Morrigan Infinite discovered by PacStrife
-
EDIT- OK so just a few notes about the infinite. I found a way to slightly increase the range on the setup. What I'm doing is forwardB -> baroque -> IAD.j.B -> [(land) immediatly j.A -> shell kick] -> repeat inside brackets. Using this method I was able to hit the infinite from about one screen away from the corner. Meaning that if you are playing and you see the corner then you are now in range for the infinite. To be honest the range seemed just a little over one screen, but I couldn't get it to work.

So far these are the things I know you can start the infinite off of:
1) forward B -> baroque
2) cr.C -> fire ball assist (I use Ryu)
3) cr.C -> baroque
4) C-launcher -> Mega crush -> falling shell kick
5) forward B -> fireball -> baroque

And these are the things that you can do before the infinite that help to move the opponent or just do a little extra damage (these are done following any of the above starters):
1) j.B -> falling j.B -> infinite (may be able to get in two reps of the j.B's)
2) IAD.j.B -> infinite
3) j.B -> up cancel into air dashed falling j.B -> infinite

Finally it seems that you can do the infinite with either j.A or j.B. The timing is more strict for the j.B version, but it does more damage. Pretty cool stuff guys!

Feel free to correct anything if something isn't accurate :wink:

Comments

• InfamousInfamous Joined: Posts: 101
    Basic Combos

Here are some Basic Combos for Morrigan

-Dash in :snka:, :snkb:, Vector Drain (VD)

-:snkc:, VD

- Dash in :snka:, :snkb:, :d::snka:, :d::snkb:, :df::snkc:, SJ, :snka:,:snka:,:snkb:,:snkb:, JC, :snkb::snkb:, Soul Fist (can go into lvl 3 if you want)

For the last combo you can replace "Dash in :snka:, :snkb:" with "Dash in :snkc:"
  • Stuart HaydenStuart Hayden Outspoken User. Joined: Posts: 11,639
    the sprite is a lie.
    R.I.P Seth Michael Hayden
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Fuck $RK

www.breakdancingrobot.com
  • Grand ViperGrand Viper Rock, Paper, BOOTS!! Joined: Posts: 437
    Here are some Basic Combos for Morrigan

-Dash in :snka:, :snkb:, Vector Drain (VD)

-:snkc:, VD

- Dash in :snka:, :snkb:, :d::snka:, :d::snkb:, :df::snkc:, SJ, :snka:,:snka:,:snkb:,:snkb:, JC, :snkb::snkb:, Soul Fist (can go into lvl 3 if you want)

For the last combo you can replace "Dash in :snka:, :snkb:" with "Dash in :snkc:"

Those sound good, I will have to try them.
    the sprite is a lie.

LOL.
    C. Brown, Shadaloo, Psycho Brigade Division
    -The worst is yet to come
  • yetighettoslangyetighettoslang Demon Cradily! Joined: Posts: 492
    i cant find any uses for finishing shower and valkyrie turn. they only hit if your opponent does not know what they are doing or if you get stun. any good assist for those stupers?
    Drunken Master of Cincy
    VS- Victor/Sasquartch
  • BuktoothBuktooth vietnamazing Joined: Posts: 1,713 mod
    the missile super is good for duo supers; does a lot of damage, often lets the point character continue the combo

it does a lot of chip too, which is good because morrigan seems to be mostly about keepaway in this game. if the super is blocked, she gets to move way before the missiles stop hitting the opponent. you can even get a safe tag in this way

valkyrie turn... looks pretty bad except maybe off of an odd DHC here or there. there's a jun/morrigan video floating around showing that. landing the valkyrie turn after the DHC is stupid hard though
    -Campbell Tran

as of 12/02/09:

me: did pz john ever give the japanese players their money
    bas: hahah of course no
  • Random123456789Random123456789 Finally logged in! Joined: Posts: 551
    I'll re-post what I found with her so far:
    Alright, this is what I found for Morrigan:
    Normal Moves:
    6B=Spikes come out of her wings, a good push back move to get/gain space. Can be used at the end of a combo.
    6C=Horizontal split kick. This can be great to use if you chain with Standing close s.close C (4 hit kick) -> 6C -> QCF(236)+A -> Level 3 Super RDP (421)+AB super. The super counts as the air version.
    Special Moves:
    QCF (236)+A/B/C (Also can be done in the air): Fire ball. This move in the air can help you float and stall time.
    DP(623)+A/B/C (Also can be done in the air): Dragon punch. This move is good to end an air combo. A version is 1 hit, B version is 3 hits, and C version is 5 hits.
    (In the air only) QCB(214)+C-Her famous drill hit. Comes out fast; however, unlike CvS2, you can't really use it for ground dashing pressure. You MIGHT get one hit.
    HCB(63214)+A/B/C=Her old school throw. She takes the enemy in the air, and then does a spin slam.
    Supers:
    QCF(236)+AB=Her missile projectile. I'm currently working on comboing her super with a Partner Assist. However, the only one that I can somewhat get right now is with Tekkaman. I'm doing her s.close C (4 hit) -> 6C -> QCF(236)+A ~ P -> QF(236)+AB. Spacing is an issue and sometimes you just get 7 hits off of it. But I'll post if I find anything else.
    HCB(63214)+AB, then hit A/B/C=Her super drill. I don't see much use to this, unless it's for chip damage or if you get lucking in a match. If you time it right, you can continue to ground chain combo into an air combo.
    Level 3 Super: Twin Hitting super RDP(421)+AB (Also can be done in the air)-She gets Lilith out and they start smacking the crap out of your opponent. Ground and air version does 46 hits. This can be used in a combo:
    -s.close C (4 hit kick) -> 6C -> QCF(236)+A -> Level 3 Super RDP (421)+AB super. The super counts as the air version.
    -s.close A. -> c.A (1 hit) -> s.B ->DF (3)C launcher -> tap up -> j.A ->j.A ->j.B ->j.B-> dj.A -> dj.B -> QCF(236)+A xx -> RDP(421)+AB.
    What is there not to know??

Wonderful statement from Keits:
    "Children are not an opportunity to me. They are a 20+ year prison sentence."
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Hahaha, I like the title of this topic.
  • wolfox_okamichawolfox_okamicha Rawr! Joined: Posts: 1,063
    Is there any use for Valkyrie Turn?
    Howl!
  • TigerboiTigerboi C.R.E.A.M. Joined: Posts: 2,109
    the missile super is good for duo supers; does a lot of damage, often lets the point character continue the combo

it does a lot of chip too, which is good because morrigan seems to be mostly about keepaway in this game. if the super is blocked, she gets to move way before the missiles stop hitting the opponent. you can even get a safe tag in this way

valkyrie turn... looks pretty bad except maybe off of an odd DHC here or there. there's a jun/morrigan video floating around showing that. landing the valkyrie turn after the DHC is stupid hard though

Stop beating me to stuff! :(
    Marvel sucks.
  • AlterGenesisAlterGenesis new srk is trollin Joined: Posts: 3,453
    The fuck? Look at that easy input for DI. Shit, I'm going to be spamming that move even if it sucks and even though it's Level 3.
    #ipressallthebuttons
    XBL: AlterGenesis
    PSN: AlterGenesisOP
  • dizzynecrodizzynecro Joined: Posts: 681
    Was the old input really hard? I never had trouble with it.
    I noticed from vids that she can have more that one soul fist out at once which could be really nice zoning since they move so slow. Command throw range also looks huge in this game.
    Is it just me or is anyone else finding Morrigan's 3C to be a good anti-IAD rushdown move?
    Morrigan's L1 Hypers are kinda useful for DHC.

Finishing Shower seems like she launches almost all of the missiles in the first few 'frames' of animation. QCF+AB - wait a beat - call in a partner with a fast or beam hyper. The missiles will remain and deal their damage once they hit the target. The only real negative is with the long start up on it, you can't DHC into Finishing Shower without breaking the combo. Practicing I would Finishing Shower, Shinku Hadouken, Valkyrie Turn... but it's kinda a waste of a bar. VT rarely does anything. You could do Finishing Shower, Shinku Hadouken, Finishing Shower and hope the other player forgets to block... or just don't bother at all.

Valkyrie Turn I've had reasonable success against the computer DHCing into Alex's Hyper Power Bomb. Once you've past the opponent and made the 'turn' your partner will come in from the side that the opponent is on (from behind). Pretty much guaranteed.
    f,f dash: not good for attacking. horrible actually. even if your opponent is sleeping and is still ducking by the time you can attack, you'll probably just go right over them

IAD: pretty decent for attacking. it's about ironman fast, but its still better than what most characters in this game have in terms of IAD offense

IAD B -> double jump right into IAD B B: pretty sneaky

uppercut is not invincible (doesn't go through projectiles like ryu does), but it still rarely trades with stuff. it does trade now and then, though
    -Campbell Tran

as of 12/02/09:

• Onyx_ChameleonOnyx_Chameleon Joined: Posts: 196
    f,f dash: not good for attacking. horrible actually. even if your opponent is sleeping and is still ducking by the time you can attack, you'll probably just go right over them

IAD: pretty decent for attacking. it's about ironman fast, but its still better than what most characters in this game have in terms of IAD offense

IAD B -> double jump right into IAD B B: pretty sneaky

uppercut is not invincible (doesn't go through projectiles like ryu does), but it still rarely trades with stuff. it does trade now and then, though

awww, her f,f dash suking at offence is sad 2 here maybe it has some unorthodox potential I hope. hey do you from ur experience think that her assist is as useful as Ryu's assist? seems like it just might be wich is real good imp
    Need a life? Play video games competitively. Here intels everything you'll ever need... cept you might want to eat, sh*t and f*ck every now and then.
    morrigan's assist is slower than ryus to come out, which makes it a lot trickier to use in combos and stuff. the fireball is taller though, so there's a few extra odd situations you can use it in, like that crazy batsu combo on youtube (which is stupid hard, btw)

also, in other games morrigan's f,f dash automatically turns her around if she goes over the opponent and does an attack. not in this game

i can sort of see her f,f and b,b dashes being tricky against opponents that use that ground slidey get up thing, if you guess which way they're gonna go. that was actually a technique morrigan players did in vampire savior (she sucked in that game)
    -Campbell Tran

as of 12/02/09:

This may or may not be something special to talk about (I don't see it here...) but it is possible to direct Finishing Shower. Holding up/down directs the missiles in that direction; they still move forward but in a half-parabola, towards the opponent. I haven't tried messing with other directions, though.

Just to be clear, here's an example
    Up:
    >
    >
    M

Neutral
    ---->
    M ---->
    ---->

Down:
    M
    ---->
    ---->

I don't know if there's more application to this besides some super zoning but I'll leave that to the better Morrigan players to work out :)
  • Tr@pzt@rTr@pzt@r $$$ Joined: Posts: 264
    dont know if people have already figured this out but i was playing around with morrigan a bit today and she can actually cancel out of her dashes by pressing up on the joystick/directional pad. It makes for some pretty decent fast over heads, i dont know what kind of relevance it would have combo wise since im still testing but its interesting.
  • FaightFaight Spewing hatemail IRL Joined: Posts: 1,213
    Just thought I'd point out that Morrigan uses a 3D model in this game, not a sprite. As such Capcom has screwed us out of a new Morrigan sprite yet again.

Curses!
    Your arguments are invalid, I drowned a shark.
    Just thought I'd point out that Morrigan uses a 3D model in this game, not a sprite. As such Capcom has screwed us out of a new Morrigan sprite yet again.

Curses!

And the new voice sucks.
    The new voice is the same as the old voice... she is 14 years older now though, but it is still Yayoi Jinguji.
  • frustratedsquirrelfrustratedsquirrel Masky stripey man! Wtf is a raccoon? Joined: Posts: 3,761
    So what are Morrigan's strong points? She seems to deal a lot of damage from what I can see.
    And her fireball is huge and annoying
    From team Sp00ky's TvC stream:
    "Alex? He will put his mitts all over you dude. Like he's so grimy, he shows up to the party and is like 'RAAAGH' and rips his shirt off"
  • Alternate275Alternate275 ★TOURNEY HOST★ Joined: Posts: 1,032
    Just my speculation, but it I think she has great mixup potential if she gets up close and personal.
    "Proud representative & overseer of Crew Round 2" :D
    PSN: CR2_Alternate | XBL: DRS Alternate | Skype: Alternate275
    King of Fighter XIII | Guilty Gear Xrd | BlazBlue ChronoPhantasma | Ultra Street Fighter 4
    The new voice is the same as the old voice... she is 14 years older now though, but it is still Yayoi Jinguji.

.... It's not the same, it sounds different. The fact that it's the same chick years older doesn't change the fact that it's different.
  • jimmy1200jimmy1200 Joined: Posts: 8,872
    yeah, i thought the dash was nice, but then i just finished playing a little, and i was like, ugh, never mind. first dash goes forward and up a little, and than if you immediately go into the next dash, she goes forward and down towards the opponent. everything else has been mentioned really. see what i can do with her and chun as a team

but i will try to play with that cancel mentioned, and see what i can do with it. i just feel like i can see her rushin shit down, but the fact that she only has one super that you can cancel into that connects, sucks, and its a level 3. but maybe she has some other shit to beast with. i only dropped in another 30 just now. ill put in some hours tomorrow. see whats up.
    LEMME GET DAT!
  • filthyrichfilthyrich iBreakGuard Joined: Posts: 104
    top tier - found my first infinite with her and no assist

Omg -magneto
    And how do you do it?
  • dizzynecrodizzynecro Joined: Posts: 681
    Vid please :)
  • filthyrichfilthyrich iBreakGuard Joined: Posts: 104
    I'll make a vid as soon as I have time been busy lately
  • PacStrifePacStrife 2.B.A. MASTER Joined: Posts: 203
    So I don't know if that guy found a legit infinite or not, but I did.

corner only. I'm still messing with the specifics, but it doesn't seem too hard and it's easy to combo into (using baroque or an assist that is). The combo is basically [j.A -> shell kick] x n. Just different ways of getting them to the right height. Anyways, have fun with it :-)
  • thegame4everthegame4ever GG Maniac Joined: Posts: 556
    Pac you make me want to corner rape you. <3
    MvC3 - Wesker, Sentinel, Magneto/Akuma
    SSF4 - Sagat, Fei Long, Dictator, Yun, Akuma
    GG - Eddie, Slayer
    ST - Ryu, Claw
    Pac you make me want to corner rape you. <3

haha, I'll take that as a good thing! I'm trying hard to find another infinite with her and I have some ideas so maybe I'll have another video of that up soon. At least a better way of carrying the opponent to the corner maybe? IDK we shall seeee!

EDIT- OK so just a few notes about the infinite. I found a way to slightly increase the range on the setup. What I'm doing is forwardB -> baroque -> IAD.j.B -> [(land) immediatly j.A -> shell kick] -> repeat inside brackets. Using this method I was able to hit the infinite from about one screen away from the corner. Meaning that if you are playing and you see the corner then you are now in range for the infinite. To be honest the range seemed just a little over one screen, but I couldn't get it to work.

So far these are the things I know you can start the infinite off of:
    1) forward B -> baroque
    2) cr.C -> fire ball assist (I use Ryu)
    3) cr.C -> baroque
    4) C-launcher -> Mega crush -> falling shell kick
    5) forward B -> fireball -> baroque

And these are the things that you can do before the infinite that help to move the opponent or just do a little extra damage (these are done following any of the above starters):
    1) j.B -> falling j.B -> infinite (may be able to get in two reps of the j.B's)
    2) IAD.j.B -> infinite
    3) j.B -> up cancel into air dashed falling j.B -> infinite

Finally it seems that you can do the infinite with either j.A or j.B. The timing is more strict for the j.B version, but it does more damage. Pretty cool stuff guys!
    Just a thought. Not sure if it's any kinds of practical. But her 236+AB can punish rolling wakeups that crosses Morrigan's axis.
    King of Fighter XIII | Guilty Gear Xrd | BlazBlue ChronoPhantasma | Ultra Street Fighter 4
  • danomightydanomighty WTFSRK Joined: Posts: 1,346
    OMG yes just what she needs some real damage! :woot:

Sounds hella practical too!

I mostly been playing her like ST Akuma. :lol:

whats some good BnB with her?
    I was hung over from both drinking and smoking yesterday so to clam down the smoking and hangover I smoked some more...
    HOLD DAT!
    Marn talking to Mike Ross @ FR14
    Good Stuff Pac! So many ways to set it up too! :woot:

Added to the front btw
  • YingyayYingyay Cash-Earned Master Joined: Posts: 116
    I FOUND A WAY TO LAND HER DRILL SPECAIL!!!!!!

Make sure youre not in a corner (espcially with soki as an assist) or she'll go over the opponent's head

Have soki as an assit or chun li then use her drill super and assist super at the same time.
    I use soki as an assist and if you catch your opponent youi'll drag them into a corner and you can combo them into the infinite (as much as i dislike infinites)
    Third Strike Mains: Sean, Ibuki, Ken
    Tatsunoko vs capcom: Casshern/Chun li, Doronjo/Polymar
    SSFIV: Ibuki, Ken, Adon
    Blazblue CT/CS: Bang, Litchi
  • frustratedsquirrelfrustratedsquirrel Masky stripey man! Wtf is a raccoon? Joined: Posts: 3,761
    How about a VHC with Megaman?

in theory at least, his machine gun should keep them stunned long enough for her to return with her drill.
    From team Sp00ky's TvC stream:
    "Alex? He will put his mitts all over you dude. Like he's so grimy, he shows up to the party and is like 'RAAAGH' and rips his shirt off"
  • Rawr.Rawr. Iron Pipe Joined: Posts: 81
    hmm.... with hella pro timing you could probably punish an assist with it, or the other jumping in after you take down their first person. They cross morrigan's axis while jumping in, it'd just take an insane amount of practice and perfect timing -_-
    How about a VHC with Megaman?

in theory at least, his machine gun should keep them stunned long enough for her to return with her drill.

I guess in theeory it might i cant test it out now but I'll check it out when i get a chance. I like soki's cuz his whole super hits even when morrigan's drill is dragging them across the screen. Im not sure why capcom gave her a super like that to begin with.

Oh and punishing an assist with it seems kinda weird in theory. Cuz say the assist is getting hit, you can also puunish morrigan for punishing your assist. Polymar's drill for example will hit morrigan cuz of its priority. So its kinda risky.
  • danomightydanomighty WTFSRK Joined: Posts: 1,346
    any tips for hitting her loops? it's just j.A and shell kick? I do have to jump cancel or jump at an angle?

I'm using f.B bbq jA shell kick,im lucky to get 2 reps but most of the time they just flip over reseting the combo meter! :arazz:

morr corner loop setup.

100% on kara
    I was hung over from both drinking and smoking yesterday so to clam down the smoking and hangover I smoked some more...
    HOLD DAT!
    Marn talking to Mike Ross @ FR14
    You do not have to jump at an angle unless you think your too far away for the j.A to hit. The j.A and the shell kick do not push you back at all so if they are both hitting then just jump straight up and j. A -> shell kick repeat.

I can't really give any tips for landing the infinite though. Just a lot of practice really. After a while you'll start to see where you should delay your timings slightly to keep the character at about the same height. If you are messing up though I would just say to make sure you are hitting that j.A as soon as you leave the ground. Sry I couldn't be more helpful, but maybe someone else can give you more on timing specific stuf?

EDIT - also I would just like to add that my favorite way to hit this loop right now is the forward B -> call assist -> infinite. Works well with Ryu and Chun assists anyway.
    Yea i tried her infinite, its somehow tougher than most of my custom combos. But yea does anyone know how long i'd take to give the opponent enough bars to burst?
  • marnmarn ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Joined: Posts: 1,956
    Best way to hit this loop is just walk up and burst and j.a infinite imo.
    Gotta try abusing mega crash some time.... XD
    Basically dont rush in without at least 3 bars of energy that way if you miss and get caught you can wait till she builds up enough for you to mega crush.
  • deadontime101deadontime101 THIS GAME IS OVER!!! Joined: Posts: 525
    just to say a thing or 2 about her normals...

5B, 2B, and J.B some good priority on opponents if they're not right in your face. Like if they're doing a jump in on you and don't quite end up on top of you, 5B can beat it or you can just jump up and j.B them yourself which you can get another B in and DP or C for a KD

5C also works very well against jump ins and IAD

as for the dash...I like to do that and j.c.A or B which can cross up (I believe B can anyway). jc.C usually misses them and goes over them which leads you into getting your ass handed to you...it could be used as a tick into the command throw though if you gauge your distance with the dash right.
    "DOOM rules everything around me, D.R.E.A.M! Get the money, dollar dollar bill y'all.''
    Does this infinite work on Roll and Joe?
    I tried on them last week and couldn't get it to work at all. Maybe others have had better luck?
    This is probably old but it seems that the giants can be thrown w/ Vector Drain.
    yes they can, and it looks hilarious.