SO MANY scrub players....

AlbedoAlbedo Is a legs man.Joined: Posts: 209
*edit*

Comments

• dodgers2213dodgers2213 Joined: Posts: 3,028
    i find the most annoying players are the ones who jump around all the goddamn time. They're not hard to beat, but they prolong the rounds soooo much with their jump around and pray for a grab "technique
    Steam- Dodgers2213
    PS4-- Dodgers2213
  • PuFFPuFF Dan Marino Joined: Posts: 2,119
    ... seriously the majority of people online play so scrubby/cheap... either spam the same shit over again, poke all day, or throw like crazy. I HAD ENOUGH!

Maybe I come across one or two guys a day who have some decent technical skills, 3 hit combos and two in ones... But seriously, these people HARDLY exist. Anyways, I'm starting to develop some skill to put these fools away, but still, what ever happen to the good ol days where people are actually good?

Oh the irony....
    Mountain Dew is delicious. No matter what Tweleve says.
  • JadowJadow I Believe Only in Beauty Joined: Posts: 222
    Throwing alot and poking?...hmm I tend to do that alot, guess I am a scrub :wonder:

"Remember, there is no "right" way to play Super Turbo." <<Took it from the wiki.

If they annoy you beat the crap out of them and show em whos got the skillz.

If they "spam" with technique....well good luck =D
    -- Only I understand the pain of being too strong and beautiful.
  • skankin garbageskankin garbage ARE YOU OKAY!? Joined: Posts: 961
    If I can beat someone with cheap shit, then I'll do it. It's usually faster, and the faster I beat someone who can't deal with it, the quicker I can hopefully start a new match with someone that can.
    http://jamieobeso.blogspot.com/ - My own personal insights about games; totally inspired by David Sirlin and James Chen.

"Jesus would be MAD if he had to fight Ivan Ooze."
    "*I'd* be mad if Jesus had to fight Ivan Ooze.
  • AlbedoAlbedo Is a legs man. Joined: Posts: 209
    Well it's just that I remember when I was growing up SF2 was HUGE, convince stores, arcades, shopping malls, where ever... a lot of the people I saw played A LOT more differently around here...

I remember everyone around here considered throwing "cheap". So if you were to accidentally throw someone in a match you'd do something called "respect" and let the other guy throw you back haha, good ol days... I dunno that might've been just a thing that started around here, I dunno if anything like that ever existed in the States...
  • Monshou_no_NazoMonshou_no_Nazo Joined: Posts: 35
    ... seriously the majority of people online play so scrubby/cheap... either spam the same shit over again, poke all day, or throw like crazy.
    But... What you describe is the exact opposite of being a scrub...
  • SiYkOSiYkO aka fdsdfg Joined: Posts: 501
    If you lose to it, then it's better than what you're doing.
  • Syxx573Syxx573 Jo Mama Joined: Posts: 8,963
    no shame in playing "cheap"

do what it takes to win

if you're winning you're doing what you need to do

that is all

if you know when to step it up against better players and when to dumb it down for bad ones, that's a good thing... why the hell would you over think things or try to show off against bad players
  • megaultrasupermegaultrasuper Joined: Posts: 833
    Most of the type people who just spaz shit hoping something will stick will just get tick throwed over and over in the corner until they ragequit. If they can't deal with that, then I am not going to waste the brain power needed to beat them with fancy stuff.

Note: I'm not talking about legitimate jumping and poking ala Vega/Chun, or really patient stuff like turtling and poking with two moves. Whatever strategy works best, no matter how easy or simple, is what i want from my opponents.

But what I hate is really random shit like standing all the way across the screen from me with Guile doing jump back short. Throw a fucking sonic boom or something!
    Something that constitutes a thought!:mad:

Sometimes I get so bored just stomping people in quick matches that just try to play the most ballsy styles I can think of, just going for broke. Walk up psychic DP all match long, ko somebody with a Final! punch, beat them with only one move, etc. Anything to make it interesting for me.
  • Phoenix RebornPhoenix Reborn One ANGRY Penguin Joined: Posts: 481
    Whenever I lose to said "cheap" tactics, I blame not my opponent for being cheap, but rather myself for my inability to cope with the situation. I'll learn, adapt, and then find my own ways to beat other opponents who use similar tactics. That's how I improve.

The main reason why people play the way they do is very simple. It works. If I can stand in a corner and shoot fireballs at somebody and this tactic works so well that it wins me the match, then why would I change my approach? If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
  • DominoLogicDominoLogic just average Joined: Posts: 1,666
    well if youre playing with a bad connection a lot of stuff is going to be a lot harder to counter than it should. if the connection really sucks ass something stupid like jumping forward wait throw becomes hard as fuck to reverse. one guy i played did this as like his only way of attacking and i teched like maybe 30% (!!!) of those even though i knew it was coming and was mashing strong and fierce like mad.

solution is dont be serious when you get a lagger

then again this thread is complaining about "cheap" tactics so it fails
    [Help!] (´・ω・`)
  • megaultrasupermegaultrasuper Joined: Posts: 833
    I think this thread is not about complaining about losing to cheapness or simplicity,

It is about complaining about a serious lack of competition among most of the online players.

I have no problem losing to any strategy. The better player is the winner. The end.

BUT, I hate sitting down to play some matches and having to mow through four or five people before I can even play somebody that even approaches anything that could be considered skillful or thoughtful.

I'm serious, I have a harder time beating my 10 year old niece in this game. It seems most players online are just incredibly awful.

I have probably played 300 or so people randomly in quick match and have met maybe 10 that I would consider to be "good". And I don't mean tournament player good, or competitive good. I mean "knows how to do all the moves" good.

EDIT: Rereading the OP, and it does sound pretty bad. But my rant still stands on it's own I think.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    How good are you guys? SRK is FULL of serious players. Just go to the XBOX/PSN forums and start adding gamertags. Pretty soon you'll never have to play a random match to play online.
  • nothingxsnothingxs EVO Head TO Joined: Posts: 1,688
  • StiltManStiltMan Cammy moves FORWARD! Joined: Posts: 694
    Well it's just that I remember when I was growing up SF2 was HUGE, convince stores, arcades, shopping malls, where ever... a lot of the people I saw played A LOT more differently around here...

I remember everyone around here considered throwing "cheap". So if you were to accidentally throw someone in a match you'd do something called "respect" and let the other guy throw you back haha, good ol days... I dunno that might've been just a thing that started around here, I dunno if anything like that ever existed in the States...

:wtf:

My god. You're trolling, right?
    The opposite of stress is Dr. Pepper.
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,895
    All I do is throw Hadoukens.
  • faux123faux123 Tryin' Cammy Harder Joined: Posts: 1,069
    I all do is tick forward->canon drill rinse and repeat and once in a while canon spike or hooligan. Boy I am cheap :)
    Visit WWW.CANONSPIKE.COM for complete joystick modding tutorials :sweat:
    :mp:+:mk::r::r::dp::hp::hk::mp:+:mk::r::r::dp::hk::mp:+:mk::l::l::qcf::qcf::3k: FTW!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/faux123
    Syxx573 - "Charge characters can never reach their full potential...because they're always holding back"
  • RisergyRisergy Joined: Posts: 4
    Oh wow! I didn't know that ranked matches recorded that! I need to check my win/loss record to see how my "respect ranking" is!
  • AlbedoAlbedo Is a legs man. Joined: Posts: 209
    Oh wow! I didn't know that ranked matches recorded that! I need to check my win/loss record to see how my "respect ranking" is!

Your sarcasm fails lol, back in the days, online play didn't exist. Damn all you new kids hah....

But seriously megaultrasuper is the only person here who understands what I'm trying to say here.

Let's take cross ups for example. I'd say this isn't "fancy" it works, I do them every time I get a chance to (Usually attempt on a downed opponent) and can lead to some serious damage (Sorry for sounding like a noob when it comes to fighting lingo here, I know I'm not saying the right terms lol) yet, I HARDLY see anyone doing this.

Another good example is when you get your opponent dizzy. This is the best opportunity to dish out the damage, right? Typically, I see people do throws or something. Sure that does good damage (if it isn't teched) but doesn't a 3 hit fierce combo do like twice that amount of damage? Fuck fancy, that actually DOES DAMAGE. But I wonder why people don't do that? Maybe cause they aren't capable of doing it?

Hopefully someone gets what I'm trying to say here...
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787
    I am the scrub player everyone is complaining about. There are so many of me online.
  • nothingxsnothingxs EVO Head TO Joined: Posts: 1,688
    I am the scrub player everyone is complaining about. There are so many of me online.

god you're such a scrub i hate playing you :mad:
  • -Tin--Tin- Joined: Posts: 130
    ... seriously the majority of people online play so scrubby/cheap... either spam the same shit over again, poke all day, or throw like crazy. I HAD ENOUGH!

Maybe I come across one or two guys a day who have some decent technical skills, 3 hit combos and two in ones... But seriously, these people HARDLY exist. Anyways, I'm starting to develop some skill to put these fools away, but still, what ever happen to the good ol days where people are actually good?

This kinda thing is a bit annoying... alot of these people are probably new to SF (unless they are spamming throws and the same thing over and over again because its working against you, do what it takes to win). Surely the best way to have better competition online is to jus keep playing them, hope they stay with the game and get better?

It's either that or they can all quit and you struggle to find an online game. Just because you might have been playing SF for years doesnt mean the other people have, give them a little time to catch up ;).

If you really wanna help send them a msg telling them how they could improve

**EDIT** Oh and I think its funny that you say there are lots of scrubs, yet talk like a scrub. Spamming moves, throwing, these are all moves perfectly legal in the game. If they are working, NOT doing them is stupid
    I peaced out Sheng Long
  • ShintoShinto Mr. Solo Dolo Joined: Posts: 1,586
    The irony in this thread is over 9000!
    East Coast.
    Nyc_Shinto = Psn

You mean "dumb old days", right ?
    Seriously, you're the scrub, stop playing now.
  • AudioCGAudioCG Bang The Machine Joined: Posts: 877

That just defined "Scrub".

Heck, why not throw in a free second round if ya get beat in the first?

Maybe only shoto-no throw is cool?
    AV provided by Savaii
  • gridmangridman Drill Joined: Posts: 3,221
    $10 saying this dude plays ken and spams jab dp or will do fireball fireball, wait, fierce dp no matter what
  • je110je110 Dantastic Joined: Posts: 385

This isn't the first time I've heard of this. I recently spoke online with someone named "Drone" (with all sorts of numbers and symbols and shit replacing actual good old-fashioned letters) that basically argued that throwing was cheap, and that "true hardcore fighting game enthusiasts" will let their opponent get a free hit if they accidentally throw. I tried reasoning with him politely (I know, logic and reasoning on the internet are faux pas), but he just took it as insults, and insisted I was a lousy player for not agreeing to his understanding of the game.

"It's not that I can't play the game as intended," he said, "It's just that I don't need cheap, unblockable attacks to win."
  • KINGKING あなたの母親の膣 Joined: Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

wow, you're stuck in the 90's...

sorry, scrub, you're going to be stuck there until you realize you really indeed do suck.
    "I will be kind enough to give you the hint regarding KOF though: read Iori Yagami's family name in reverse." -- Black Shroud
  • A.CA.C Joined: Posts: 231

Yup, this was the first thing that popped into my mind.

In Street Fighter, the scrub labels a wide variety of tactics and situations cheap. This cheapness is truly the mantra of the scrub. Performing a throw on someone is often called cheap. A throw is a special kind of move that grabs an opponent and damages him, even when the opponent is defending against all other kinds of attacks. The entire purpose of the throw is to be able to damage an opponent who sits and blocks and doesnt attack. As far as the game is concerned, throwing is an integral part of the designits meant to be thereyet the scrub has constructed his own set of principles in his mind that state he should be totally impervious to all attacks while blocking. The scrub thinks of blocking as a kind of magic shield that will protect him indefinitely. Why? Exploring the reasoning is futile since the notion is ridiculous from the start.

You will not see a classic scrub throw his opponent five times in a row. But why not? What if doing so is strategically the sequence of moves that optimizes his chances of winning? Here weve encountered our first clash: the scrub is only willing to play to win within his own made-up mental set of rules. These rules can be staggeringly arbitrary. If you beat a scrub by throwing projectile attacks at him, keeping your distance and preventing him from getting near youthats cheap. If you throw him repeatedly, thats cheap, too. Weve covered that one. If you block for fifty seconds doing no moves, thats cheap. Nearly anything you do that ends up making you win is a prime candidate for being called cheap. Street Fighter was just one example; I could have picked any competitive game at all.
  • EtotheNGSPDEtotheNGSPD Gief Power Joined: Posts: 884
    i cant believe this thread, it this a joke? no, i mean, seriously.
    The Next time we meet im going to break your arms.
    Spun Uncontrollably Skyward... Driven Brutaly Into the Ground.
    Zangief's express line is Open who, is Next???
    Thanks to Luciano Leone, that AV is Fucking Awesome Bro.
  • EsjihnEsjihn High Echelon Gaming Joined: Posts: 2,700
    lost to a scrub!?
    This is the most entertaining complaint of the bunch. When this player loses to someone he considers a weaker player, the ?I lost to a scrub!? line is sometimes used as an excuse. This player is saying that he is very good at the game, and losing to such a poor player doesn?t prove anything. He often enumerates all the weaknesses of this ?poor player,? including such gems as ?he relies on only one tactic? and ?his mind games are weak.? The more he puts down the other player, though, the worse he looks himself. If the other player relies on only one tactic, and you can?t beat it, then what does that say about you?
    This need to displace the blame is probably motivated by pride, but it deprives you of a chance to learn from your mistakes (and it alienates other players, a point which you may or may not care about). Basically, you need to have some respect for other players who have the power to win, no matter what faults you may see with their play styles. Sometimes, these ?weaker players? really are better than you, and you just aren?t admitting it. And if they aren?t better, then you should not let them win. You should be recognizing and learning from your own mistakes, or you should be improving to catch up to them. Either way, the heart of the issue lies in you, not in the player you just lost to.

-sirlin

oh and scrub deez nutz in yo mouf
    P4U: Naoto, Yu, Aigis
    SFxT: Hwoarang, Lars Alexanderson
    UMarvel3: Capn Am, Akuma, Dr. Doom, Sentinel, Dr. Strange
    SFIV:AE2012: Ryu, Balrog +10 chars.
  • mogwaimonmogwaimon Joined: Posts: 349
    Now, I dunno if I've fought anyone here on XBL yet, but if you fight me and I'm not up to par, you'll have to excuse me as this is the first time I've had actual competition in any fighter =P I'm still trying to get the execution of my cr. MK -> FP hadouken down on this Xbox pad. Can't even do DPs consistently, either, and vertical charge moves XD I can do DPs much more consistently on the Wii classic controller, though...

Anyways, I really have to agree that saying to yourself 'I lost to a scrub!' is kinda noobish. I mean, yea, if you're frustrated and you say that for a second or something, I mean...we all get flustered sometimes. But then if you don't bother to learn why you lost, then it's all for naught. I mean, most of the time when I lose I can attribute it to my poor combo skills and my poor anti-air executions, or even bad mindgames. Just saying 'I lost to some idiot, he wasn't even very good...' won't do YOU any good, either.
  • DreamTRDreamTR Console is the suck Joined: Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Your sarcasm fails lol, back in the days, online play didn't exist. Damn all you new kids hah....

But seriously megaultrasuper is the only person here who understands what I'm trying to say here.

Let's take cross ups for example. I'd say this isn't "fancy" it works, I do them every time I get a chance to (Usually attempt on a downed opponent) and can lead to some serious damage (Sorry for sounding like a noob when it comes to fighting lingo here, I know I'm not saying the right terms lol) yet, I HARDLY see anyone doing this.

Another good example is when you get your opponent dizzy. This is the best opportunity to dish out the damage, right? Typically, I see people do throws or something. Sure that does good damage (if it isn't teched) but doesn't a 3 hit fierce combo do like twice that amount of damage? Fuck fancy, that actually DOES DAMAGE. But I wonder why people don't do that? Maybe cause they aren't capable of doing it?

Hopefully someone gets what I'm trying to say here...

Online SF play has been around since 1994, so technically it has. The people you played against bring people down in terms of learning the game the "correct" way. There were infinite amounts of "house rule" places you went to that had these idiotic "don't throw" sets when you can counter it with your own throw. I've never seen such stupidity in my life. Even when I was first playing SF, I always did whatever was in the game to win. No one had any issues with that where I played. Even some respected "ogs" that everyone looks up to had issues with grabs back in the day. I always find that one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard of you. If you can't beat it, find a way around it. If you lose to someone pressing one button only on purpose because you can't find a way around it, are they scrubby? You need to definitely educate yourself on how to play the game because it sounds like you don't.

Though I have to say that I always hated the word "scrub", because in actuality, if you beat someone, are they a "scrub" to you? Because everyone is a freaking scrub by that meaning, because even if they don't know what they are doing, and you lose to it, what does that make you?
    Arcade for Life!
    http://www.gamegalaxyarcade.com
    Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat player since the beginning. No team, no affiliation.
    Nah, everyone isn't a scrub...
    Being a noob isn't being a scrub, everybody's been a noob ^^
    Noobs are just new players learning the game as they play...they'll get better if they play more and learn from their mistakes.
    Scrubs just think the opponent was a cheap bastard for throwing them and thus winning the match. They won't ever learn from their mistakes => they won't ever be good players.
  • NevermoreNevermore Scrubby in disguise. Joined: Posts: 1,194
    I'm not really going to comment on whether or not constant throws are "cheap" or what, but I do know that I feel like a scrub when a lot of my matches are won from chip > throw damage. Most of the time I'd say all of the throws are just reversals to other people trying to throw me or do a standing move in my face and the only time I really intentionally start throwing is when I'm behind and the match is almost over. Wins a lot of matches, but I'd rather be getting more cross ups and combos off.
  • BeautifulViolenceBeautifulViolence Will turtle you out. Joined: Posts: 391
    This is sort of a silly thread, but here's my answer:
    If you meet up with a scrub or n00b or whatever, and you discover that they're not up to your skill-level, simply beat him one match, then leave the room. No one is keeping you there. Search out the competition or add some of us as friends.

By the way, I'm old school too and we used to have "house rules", but this was only between my dad, my brother, and I. For my dad, the rules were, no special moves (haha); for my brother, "cheap" throws weren't allowed. Everywhere else, every tactic in the book is valid.
  • DanielRGTDanielRGT Owner of Ram Gay Treasures Joined: Posts: 637
    I'm not really going to comment on whether or not constant throws are "cheap" or what, but I do know that I feel like a scrub when a lot of my matches are won from chip > throw damage. Most of the time I'd say all of the throws are just reversals to other people trying to throw me or do a standing move in my face and the only time I really intentionally start throwing is when I'm behind and the match is almost over. Wins a lot of matches, but I'd rather be getting more cross ups and combos off.

Sure, cross ups and combos are fancy, but does that define skill?

*psst* The answer is no.

Just talking shit, don't mind me.
    No Wiz, I will not be greyhounding to EVO.

---http://www.jamisontrumpets.com : My Website
    ---http://www.youtube.com/FRArcade/ : Final Round Arcade Stream Match Videos
  • xstancexxstancex Joined: Posts: 57

Tick throws are fine for me. I find it funny when other players does that on me and I punish it wit reversal flame kick and punish them with meaty fierce + fierce + rekka punches. I love it more when that combo dizzies and finish the round wit another combo with Perfect and they call me cheap.

I once had a player quit mid game on me after I constant punished him on wakeup with regular 3 hit rekka punches, called me a lousy player.
    SF2 has always rewarded cheap, low risk techniques. Denying it is just as ridiculous as complaining about it.

People lose to my Blanka all the time and it's not because I'm a skilled player. Most characters simply can't do much of anything against a tick bite even if they know it's coming.

Part of the appeal of SF2 is that I can use cheap moves to beat better players without having to put in as much effort as them. If they don't resort to the kind of garbage that I use, then they will probably lose.

In the end, I don't have the free time or the inclination to learn a game that actually rewards skillful play like Virtua Fighter.

I'm not disparaging SF2 or trying to be clever. This is just the reality of it.