Bloody Roar 3/Primal Fury/Extreme

Tech RomancerTech Romancer PSN: Tech_RomancerJoined: Posts: 5,200
I've recently gotten stoked about this game after a friend introduced it in our match sessions, and seeing how pimp BR3 was I had to get into it.

For those not in the know, Primal Fury/Extreme is a graphically enhanced, remixed version of BR3 with a few gameplay tweaks. Also lets us play Chronos, Uranus and Fang. I went ahead and lumped BR3 in though since it's still played and the changes aren't too drastic; strategies, combos that work in BR3 generally work in BR: PF/Extreme.

Also, this is pretty balanced game (EVERYONE has something they can abuse, and knowing your character is what really counts - my kinda game) but here's a tier list for those curious:

--- Top Tier ---
* Shenlong
* Chronos (Not available in PF)
* Uranus (Broken/Banned in BR3 vanilla)
* Khoryu

--- Upper-mid ---
* Yugo
* Jenny
* Shina (move to mid in PF)
* Long (move to mid in PF)

--- Mid Tier ---
* Everyone else

And finally, match vids for those not converted to the BR religion:

* Tourney match vids:

- (hksagyo's account) http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hksagyo&view=videos (there are also a few casuals mixed in as well)
-- Notable mention: (:woot:)

- (pockment's account) http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=pockment&view=videos

* Casual match vids:

- (Tech Romancer's account)

* Bloody Roar 1: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B1649C90645B6147
* Bloody Roar 2: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C50F1F562AB98630
* Bloody Roar 3/ Primal Fury/ Extreme: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=834283FE8DCF8615

- (khentimentiu's account) http://www.youtube.com/user/khentimentiu

- Various Linked match vids (Giza's account, etc)

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- Documents/ Reading:

* Complete Movelist (with cancel points, strings, health values, etc): http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/452963-bloody-roar-3/faqs/13428
* Strategy/ System/ Tactics guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/452963-bloody-roar-3/faqs/15872
youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
"Problem with Marvel is when you are not mashing you are losing". - 9thPixel

Comments

• DeadlyRave-NeoDeadlyRave-Neo Joined: Posts: 500
    I've recently gotten stoked about this game after a friend introduced it in our match sessions, and seeing how pimp BR3 was I had to get into it.

For those not in the know, Primal Fury/Extreme is a graphically enhanced, remixed version of BR3 with a few gameplay tweaks. Also lets us play Chronos, Uranus and Fang. I went ahead and lumped BR3 in though since it's still played and the changes aren't too drastic; strategies, combos that work in BR3 generally work in BR: PF/Extreme.

For those who don't know the system or need a refresher, Psychopulse has an excellent FAQ with basic mechanics, movelists and brief character analysis. (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/537496/22551)

Also, this is pretty balanced game (EVERYONE has something they can abuse, and knowing your character is what really counts - my kinda game) but here's a tier list for those curious:

--- Top Tier ---
    * Shenlong
    * Chronos
    * Uranus
    * Xion
    * Khoryu

--- Upper-mid ---
    * Yugo

--- Mid Tier ---
    * Everyone else

-- Low tier ---
    * Ganesha (rising)

And finally, match vids for those not converted to the BR religion:

* Tourney match vids:

- (hksagyo's account) http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hksagyo&view=videos (there are also a few casuals mixed in as well)

- Notable mention: (:woot:)

* Casual match vids:

- (my account) http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=834283FE8DCF8615

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Was hoping to get some discussion going, strategies, experiences, glitches, etc. Also analyzing the vids above and showing your own would be awesome.

we need to meet up and fight:nunchuck:
    friends dont let friends use macros
  • Tech RomancerTech Romancer PSN: Tech_Romancer Joined: Posts: 5,200
    we need to meet up and fight:nunchuck:

I'm always ready for a good BR match. :)
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,675 admin
    I was thinking about getting back in to this game I only have the gamecube version but, my buddy Giza seems to be really good he mains Ganesha and can play most of the characters decently. XD
    I was thinking about getting back in to this game I only have the gamecube version but, my buddy Giza seems to be really good he mains Ganesha and can play most of the characters decently. XD

Yeah, I've talked somewhat with Giza on youtube; he seems to really work that Ganesha and Chronos. In fact his recent Ganesha vids is what made me consider Ganesha for a rising moniker from low-tier. If only we had a Ganesha player down here in Georgia...
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    Oh well I used Uranas however recently I've gotten back in to it been working on Gado now.
    Oh well I used Uranas however recently I've gotten back in to it been working on Gado now.

I'm trying to wean Phoenix, one of our tekken gurus, on Gato personally. We need a Gato player so bad.

Here's what we got:

Zero: Uriko, Uranus
    Pyro: Kohryu, Shina, Xion, Alice
    Eli: Xion, Chronos
    Luna: Yugo
    Some other guy: Yugo
    DanTheMan: Jenny
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    nice hopefully we can get some more people playing down here everyone else is playing HD remix and other stuff at the moment it would be sweet to get some sort of scene going on down here for this game XD.
  • MusourenkaMusourenka Mech Rush kekeke! Joined: Posts: 120
    A game I used to have, but had no one to play against, sadly. I don't think I really took advantage of the game mechanics that much (which isn't surprising if the CPU is all one is facing). I would like to pick it up again, however, if I could find some people to play with.

I used Bakuryu, Shina, and occasionally Alice.
  • G.O.TG.O.T #1 Haggar fan Joined: Posts: 2,164
    Shina is the shit.
    Fight Fo' Dah Future.
  • AtTheGatesAtTheGates combodrcker Joined: Posts: 436
    BR3 is an excellent game. meter management is sophisticated (timer runs out, health low? insta-hyperbeast!), combos and gameplay has a 2d touch to it. The only problem is the circle strafe, which evades way too many moves. Unfortunately, they just removed it in later versions of BR instead of trying to balance it a bit :/
    The morbid, muted body
    Is dissected, lacerated and shred -
    Life is hard as a mortuary technician
    The fumes go straight to my head...
    BR3 is an excellent game. meter management is sophisticated (timer runs out, heath low anyway? insta-hyperbeast!), combos and gameplay has a 2d touch to it. The only problem is the circle strafe, which evades way too many moves. Unfortunately, they just removed it in later versions of BR instead of trying to balance it a bit :/

Haha. Yeah, Pyro owned me with the sidestepping when we first started playing. Check out the earlier matches on my account when we first started playing - he uses it to actually negate the recovery time on his strings and get past my own. It even avoids throws! I started implementing horizontal attacks into my strings and picking more to get past this.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
  • DA GAMEDA GAME Version 3.5 Joined: Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ditto.I've been using Shina since Bloody Roar 2.I never could the combos right that could be seen in the ending credits of BR2 & 3.IMO,I think she was better in 3
  • G.O.TG.O.T #1 Haggar fan Joined: Posts: 2,164
    Just bought 3 today at Game Crazy. Soon as I find a ps2 to play it on...gonna get back in the habit of beasting with Yugo and Shina. Maybe Gado on the side.
    Fight Fo' Dah Future.
  • GizaGiza SoCal Power Stoner Joined: Posts: 619

I should be able to get better matches up now since Laughing Otter has learned to defend correctly against my Shina. Hopefully I'll be able to bring Ganesha out of low tier... but hey, someone has to be worst in the game.
  • Clear SkyClear Sky Wolf Shirt Joined: Posts: 3,301
    Nice thread. To those people who have competition...I hate you. :rofl:

lol Giza.

Awhile ago I found an infinite with Xion. Works the same way as Gado's infinite where he headbutts you continuously and you keep on bouncing off the floor. It's not practical at all since the move you use is pretty slow and requires a counter hit to bounce, and the inf is probably corner only. I don't remember what's the command for it, so I guess it's time to fire up my copy of BR3...when I find it first. -_-;
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQA-KTzaPA
    Jazzy NYC '99!
    Team Wack
    My youtube playlist has been updated with more match videos.

Also: we just got a new Gado player! :woot:
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
  • exarchezekielexarchezekiel G4C|Frankie G Joined: Posts: 1,523
    Subscribed!:tup:

Been wanting to play this game again and me and a few friends started playing it randomly again during the winter.

Guess who I play no he's not a mole and no I don't use his School uniform costume.:wonder:

-EX :cool:
    LETS DANCE IN YOUR FACE HAHA IN YOUR FACE DON'T BLINK! JACKPOT! GOTCHA NOW IN YOUR FACE GET BACK NOT DONE YET YAHOO IN YOUR FACE LETS GO KEEPING IT STYLISH HERES THE FINALE! I'M GOOD ARENT I?

I <3 MomoChuuu

Follow @FrankieG7Chi
  • ShishiohShishioh Starbreaker Joined: Posts: 2,921
    I've never seen the Gado infinite from 3. Does anyone have a video of it?
    "Hitboxes have nothing at all to do with the way a fighting game plays. they are just a means to an end."-Random Discus user
    Written exactly like that.
  • Clear SkyClear Sky Wolf Shirt Joined: Posts: 3,301
    I've never seen the Gado infinite from 3. Does anyone have a video of it?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1KbHAaDxSVg
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQA-KTzaPA
    Jazzy NYC '99!
    Team Wack
    tech if you comming to impact clash we can mm in this and ffwa
    tech if you comming to impact clash we can mm in this and ffwa

I'm trying my darnest to make it there, man. Because of an event last month, I now have to be very frugal with my money. If I'm still good by the time Impact Clash starts, I'll be there, either that or beg my mom to do something....which I'd really rather not ask my mother for financial help. :sweat:

Hopefully, it works out.

Anyway, coming back with more updates; me and Pyro ran the gauntlet today and had some sexy-ass matches.

This is the first of the batch and my so-called notable mention of the day:

Sweetness.

I'm uploading the rest as I type this.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    Alright people. Injecting some life into this thread/bumping it. Why? Because this game rocks and I want more discussion. Anyone else have vids/matches they want to share?
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
  • KrosKros Mak n Sak Joined: Posts: 611
    I remember always wanting this game when I got the gamecube but never being able to afford it.
    3s: Makoto/Sean/Yun
    SSF4: R.I.P Makoto
    Bloody Roar PR and 3 are very cheap right now on Amazon. Around like, 4 or five bucks when I ordered mine. These games are bargin bin price as of now; no-one needs to fear a hole being burned in their wallet.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
  • ReXXXSopranoReXXXSoprano Triple Da G.O.D! Joined: Posts: 1,509
    Where's Fang on that tier list? He has most of Yugo's moves but a lot of his moves act differently. I'll have to track down this vid of him clowing I'd seen a while back.
    Where's Fang on that tier list? He has most of Yugo's moves but a lot of his moves act differently. I'll have to track down this vid of him clowing I'd seen a while back.

That's a good question. I personally am unsure of him myself; I have never seen him played nor do any of my friends dabble with him. I've heard he actually sucks, but not sure. Maybe Giza can enlighten us, as Fang players are almost unheard of to me.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz

youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    Hmmm, it seems Fang is Xbox exclusive. He plays like Yugo, only he uses his old moveset from the older games. I didn't play Yugo in the older titles so I'm still in the dark. His beast drives seem the same though. That's all I got. :sweat:
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    Hmmm, it seems Fang is Xbox exclusive. He plays like Yugo, only he uses his old moveset from the older games. I didn't play Yugo in the older titles so I'm still in the dark. His beast drives seem the same though. That's all I got. :sweat:

I knew there was some difference between them. But if it's nothing gamebreaking then OK. But on the same flip Yugo's always had some wild shit in every game anyway. So it wouldn't suprise me if Yugo/Fang are tiered as equals anyway.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
  • Bakuryu42Bakuryu42 Joined: Posts: 81
    In case you weren't sure I liked this game.... (I'll give the clueless a hint MY NAME) I want them to make a 5th so bad for the next gen consoles especially if it has online. I obviously main Bakuryu, but I wasn't bad with any characters except the slower ones. (I'm a speed demon) I'm glad people haven't forgotten this game!
  • SSJ_SonikkuSSJ_Sonikku Fighting Game Maniac! Joined: Posts: 623

Actually, Fang is also in the Gamecube version of the game as well, but only in the Japanese version though. I really need to find the Japanese version so bad.

His first super is the same as Yugo's. His second one is unique to him though, it changes the opponent from beast to human on hit. Fang is more powerful like (BR2 Yugo) compared to speedy version of Yugo as of present.
    Good, good matches from FRXII, by me, ShadowAce50 and Deadly Rave Neo.

youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    Bump. Someone start posting, dammit.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    OK. This thread needs to cover the opus of Bloody Roar. So tiers and strats for all games instead of focusing on just one.
    OK. This thread needs to cover the opus of Bloody Roar. So tiers and strats for all games instead of focusing on just one.

So, far Bloody Roar 3 is the only title I have seen played seriously and had an actual tourney scene. But if anyone has some info they want to discuss on the other titles, post it up and I'll change the thread title.

I can't be the forefront for the simple reason I only played the other titles casually and can't really speak about them.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    Had to post this guy's account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pockment

(added it to the main list as well)

Not sure if these are tourney matches, but this top-level play. Should shut up anyone who thinks this game is a scrubfest or button masher BTW.

In short, this is what your matches should look like when you master this game.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    Had to post this guy's account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pockment

(added it to the main list as well)

Not sure if these are tourney matches, but this top-level play. Should shut up anyone who thinks this game is a scrubfest or button masher BTW.

In short, this is what your matches should look like when you master this game.

That shit was greasy as fuck. I've never seen more GC's in a combo since in forever. That is the shit that will motivate me to get back in shape in BR.

Tech a question if I may. How in the hell could you run this on a stick? Cause I had a couple of ideas but seeing as BR is P, K, B & HG how could you find a good stick config for it anyway?

The only config I could come up with is this:
    B P K
    HG

It mimics SC/VF in a way but when I tried it it didn't feel right. Unless I can find something that works I might run pad since that is what I play BR with anyway.
    That shit was greasy as fuck. I've never seen more GC's in a combo since in forever. That is the shit that will motivate me to get back in shape in BR.

Tech a question if I may. How in the hell could you run this on a stick? Cause I had a couple of ideas but seeing as BR is P, K, B & HG how could you find a good stick config for it anyway?

B P K
    HG

It mimics SC/VF in a way but when I tried it it didn't feel right. Unless I can find something that works I might run pad since that is what I play BR with anyway.

You'll have to ask Deadly Rave Neo how he had his sitck set up when we played at FRXII, because I use pad for this game.

But if I used my six-buttion ASCII stick for this game, I would configure it:

K Be
    B P HB

mimics the layout of the PS2 and GC format closely, which allows me to not have to revamp my muscle memory when it comes to doing the JC combos and my custom strings.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz

B P K
    HG

to answer your question on my button layout. here it is.

p g
    k b nothing mapped. the move canceling is easy.do a move then press g that's it.
    good for mix ups
    to answer your question on my button layout. here it is.

p g
    k b nothing mapped. the move canceling is easy.do a move then press g that's it.
    good for mix ups

Are you ready to get pwned again in BR and FF:WA at Impact Clash V????
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz

Posting this not just because of the matches were good (IMO), but because I wanted to discuss with other BR players the problem of Sidestep in this game.

I've been talking with Deadly Rave Neo about getting a scene for this going, and if we were to start a tourney which version to use (BR3 or BR:PF).

Overall, BR:PF is the better game, more balance characterwise and levels down the combos to a level where they don't become infinites on the wall (unlike several characters in BR3), its also got a more varied stage selection. Its problem is sidestepping - they made it way too powerful in that game; you can sidestep out of blockstun, hitstun and even away from grabs which is ridiculous; its destroys the aggressive nature of the game, and especially string based characters suffer greatly because of this. The only way around it is to pick (a lot) or to use horizontal moves. But these are few, not to mention its boring to watch. It is, in effect working against its own system. Granted, its not a problem when i played most players, but my sparring partner Pyro abuses it (I've seen a few matches on youtube that do the same) and its just way too good; serious problem for tourney play (basically a get out of jail free card).

BR3 is best described (in Deadly Rave Neo's words) - "the XMvSF of the series", so broken that balances itself out. The combos are more damaging and lengthy in that one, and quite a few characters bnb combos become infinites or 100% if done near the wall. Personally, I'm not worried about this, but my main reason for considering it is that the sidestep in comparison is nearly useless mid battle as opposed to BR:PF, making the game flow/work better. But its not balanced, and BR:PF fixes its problems, so that's its only advantage.

Discuss.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    Bump.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Dont let this thread die!

Some in depth guides should help tech romancer!
    Dont let this thread die!

Some in depth guides should help tech romancer!

Good point. Uhh, I guess I should write some general strats to start us out:

This game is very offensive-based. Not as in constant, mindless but as it is in your best interest to find a solid, reliable means on how to get good damage output.

The best example of this are top tier characters, as they do this the best. As of BR:PF, Chronos is overall the best character in the game (used to be Shenlong in BR3). Why is this? Because his priority, normals and positive frames give him a solid step up on most characters. Not to mention his Phoenix form builds on this by basically allowing him to combo his beast drive (basically supers in this game) from anything. And of course his bnb is easily followed up and generally safe on block. So basically, a character that can mount a strong offense as well as being able to adapt to more situations easily are easier to win with.

Lower tier characters are lower because they generally don't have as much flexability in their strings (or lack thereof), have less than reliable launchers or combos. However, they usually make up for this with higher damage per hit (Ganesha, Gado), have higher defense (pretty much everyone in top tier takes the most damage in the game except for Kohryu, Xion and Chronos).

I already provided the tier list above, here's some character archetypes for people interested to find what they want:

Cream of Crop - face it, Chronos doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses and can more or less do what he wants - Chronos

Balance - Characters that can adapt to a variety of situations but don't excel in any of them (Uranus, Kohryu, Jenny)

Pressure/string based - Basically the six-ring cats go here, good at ground combos, good speed and built-in string/pressure combos, but low single hit damage and somewhat unreliable JC combos except for Shenlong who is the best in this category, Yugo gets in here too, despite most of his stuff hitting high (Uriko, Long, Shenlong, Yugo, Xion)

Grapplers - Powerful, but they're more focused on setting up graps than combos or pressure (Ganesha, Stun)

Power - Solid combos, devastating power, not particularly good at pressure and defense, different from grapplers in that they don't necessarily have to grab you as part of their game; both these and the grapplers have the highest defense in the game to make up for it (Shina, Gado)

Speed - all about pressure; these guys don't have as much built in strings like the previous category but attacks are quick, have stable combos and can still use cancel points for mix-up, but usually take poor damage and can't rely on single hits (Alice, Bakryu, Kohryu)

I'll post some match vids and analyze them later, as well as discuss some more system stuff.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
  • KhentimentiuKhentimentiu Scrub-tacular Joined: Posts: 412
    in primal fury its much easier to escape air combos and juggles so some people are moved around.

im going to write a full indepth guide to the game mechanics and char play styles (when i get round to it and if theres enough interest), in the meantime heres some rust-tacular PF matches :P http://www.youtube.com/user/khentimentiu
  • RinsukuRinsuku Another year gone Joined: Posts: 201
    I only saw a couple of videos of BR:PF but I never saw anyone....how should I put this...Power cancel? I've never really given it a name...

It's where a character does a move with the yellow glowing burst coming out. If you press guard it just cancels the move all together. Best way to do this from confusing explanation is to pick Gado in training mode and Hyper beast since all of his moves have that property and just start punching and hitting guard. He'll cancel all of his moves. :rofl:

Once again I don't know if anyone mentioned it, I'm just too lazy to search.
    Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
    Willing is not enough we must do.
    I only saw a couple of videos of BR:PF but I never saw anyone....how should I put this...Power cancel? I've never really given it a name...

It's where a character does a move with the yellow glowing burst coming out. If you press guard it just cancels the move all together. Best way to do this from confusing explanation is to pick Gado in training mode and Hyper beast since all of his moves have that property and just start punching and hitting guard. He'll cancel all of his moves. :rofl:

Once again I don't know if anyone mentioned it, I'm just too lazy to search.

you can cancel any move and some grabs