-Pull the Trigger, and you're gonna get Shot- Megaman Basics

GHNekoGHNeko SYMPTONS INCLUDE RESETS, TICK THROWS & INPUT LAGJoined: Posts: 622
Look at me! I'm taking the lead with Megaman! Thank New Era Outlaw for this wonderful post though. I'm just moving it here.
Huh. You know, I thought I'd leave this to somebody else who might know better about the Megster than I would, but seeing as how there's no thread up yet....I might as well take a stab at this and see what I can come up with.

So, just like the Roll thread before this, I'm going to try to assemble a basic guide to play with Mega Man Trigger. Now, mind you, I'm no A-class expert (I still have to get the hand of this Baroque thingy), but I'll try my best. Feel free to correct me where I'm off, and I'll try to adjust the guide to suit.

Here we go:

SPECIAL MOVES

Arm Buster - :snkc:
Power Charge- Hold :snkc:
Charged Buster Shot- After Power Charge, release :snkc:

Equip Special Weapons:

Machine Gun Arm: :d::d: :snka:
Shield Arm: :d::d::snkb:
Drill Arm: :d::d::snkc:

(To equip a weapon and perform a small evading sidestep at the same time, try using :qcf: instead of :d::d: when you motion for a weapon. Repeat said move to de-activate.)

Special Weapon Attacks:

Machine Gun Barrage: Activate MGA, Hold :r:, :uf: or :df:, and press :snkb:
Shield Barrier: Activate SA, Hold :r:, :uf: or :df:, and press :snkb:
Drill Upper!: Activate DA, Hold :df: and press :snkb:
Drill Rush!: Activate DA, Hold :r: and press :snkb:

SUPER COMBOS

Hyper Machine Gun Barrage: :qcb: and two attack buttons
Hyper Drill Upper: :dp: and two attack buttons
Buster Arm-ageddon: :qcf: and two attack buttons (Lvl 3, must be close)

BASIC STRATEGY

Buster Shot - Mega Man Trigger's bread and butter. Like the original MM before him, he fires a shot from his Buster Arm by simply tapping :snkc:. To an extent, you can even adopt MM's old strategy of hanging back and firing one shot midair, and one shot while grounded, but with your opponents being able to double jump and air dash (not to mention the fact that Trigger himself is a tad slower and his shots are not as wide as MM's), this isn't that much of an effective strategy. Some notes:

- You can charge the attack by holding down :snkc:. You will begin to notice a small orb glowing at the end of Trigger's cannon. The longer you charge, the more powerful the attack becomes. At most, it can do up to 8 hits maximum, and, at maximum power, will fling an opponent straight across the room (almost like an old style Shinkuu Hadouken, of sorts.) However, BE WARNED. You get hit, you LOSE THE CHARGE.

- Try pinning down an opponent with a standard Buster Shot, and immediately cancelling into a Hyper Machine Gun Barrage. It'll do some worthwhile chip, and, if you nail a blocking opponent, it'll be a safe way to put some distance.

- You can aim the Buster several different ways. Doing it while crouching will have him fire it at an Anti-Air angle (and sadly, not straight ahead, which you will discover to your horror.) Fire it and aim diagonally downwards while jumping, and Mega Man will aim it in that direction. Aim diagonally upwards while standing, and Trigger will fire in that direction. Use this to your advantage, but don't abuse it.

Machine Gun Arm - This move fires three consecutive shots rapidly. You can aim it similarly to Trigger's standard buster (see above). To an extent, you can even jump and spam it, Akuma style. Not much more to say here than that.

Drill Arm/Drill Upper- Allows Trigger to either launch himself forward while drilling the hell out of the opponent, or hit them with a semi-reliable Anti-Air Drill Upper. Extremely comboable, and does fair damage, so I suggest you use this often if you want to pile on the hits.

Shield Arm- Creates a giant green shield in from of Trigger. If an opponent walks/jumps into it, they'll be pushed away (and, if they hit a wall, they will bounce.) I haven't tested it to see if it can repel fireballs, however.

Hyper Machine Gun Barrage- The Machine Gun Arm....shifted all the way into turbo. It fires a volley of shots in succession, and, blocked or not, will push away opponents all the way to the other side of the screen. While firing, Trigger can aim the stream of bullets upwards and downwards (but he's somewhat slow in doing so. Don't expect miracles from it.) This can also be done in mid-air, so a sound strategy is to jump, use :snkc:, and then immediately cancel into this Super Combo. Another thing to note is that if you DHC into another Super Combo, the remaining bullets that were already fired will not vanish, but continue hitting the opponent long after Trigger tags out. This is awesome for safe tagging.

Hyper Drill Upper! - Mega Man's defensive bread and butter. He quickly whips out his Drill Arm, and basically does a SHINRYUKEN!!! with it. It has very quick startup, decent damage, some good priority, and can be used very effectively to catch an incoming opponent. Don't go apeshit with this move, though, because there is such a thing as a smart opponent, and this is VERY punishable if you whiff.

Buster Arm-ageddon- Trigger's LVL 3 Super combo. He'll punch the opponent in the gut, send them skywards, and totally let them have it with an upwards blast of doom from his Arm Buster. To be honest, it does...okay damage, but not for a Lvl 3 (see:Ryu). I'd suggest sticking with the previous two super combos.

NOTES:

- Mega Man's launcher has some good Anti-Air qualities about it. It's not quite the MvC version's Mule Kick, but it'll do.

- Most of Trigger's Super Combos can combo off of a simple :snka:,:snka:. Sort of like the original Mega Man's Beat Plane. Once an opening presents itself, jab, jab and Super Combo. It's handy when you want to gain a small lead.

- Hyper Machine Gun Arm is very handy for chip damage and playing keep away. Stick to doing it in mid-air, though, because he is very vulnerable while standing up (and your opponent jumps quickly enough over it.)

- Hyper Drill Upper can be absurdly fast. As soon as your opponent whiffs (closely enough) or attempts to jump in, use it and nail them.

- Charged Buster Shot => a blocked Ryu's Fireball/Shinkuu Hadouken. He has to be fairly close, though.

- Try to spam Machine Gun arm during a mid air jump. You can try keeping your opponent grounded by using the :uf:, also. Just don't be predictable.

BASIC COMBOS:

1) Charge :snkc:, :snka:,:snka:,:snkb:, release :snkc:.
2) :snka:,:snka:, :d::snkb:, launcher (setup)
3) Combo #2, :snka::snka::snkb::snkc:
4) With Drill Arm, Combo #2, :snka::snka::snkb::snkb:, :df:+:snkb:
5) :snka:,:snka:, Hyper Drill Upper!

That's all from me for now.
Feel free to contribute, folks, because I'm dead certain I've missed a few things. See ya.

I'd also like to add that switching weapons is probably one of his main forms of lengthening combos or generally being unpredictable, though most of the time, you'll be using it to lengthen combos as they allow you to escape the ending lag of certain moves and move you closer to your opponent. In air though, I'm not so sure about mid-air switchng as doing so without enough speed and input precision will simply allow your opponent to fall back to the ground safely or simply allow them to block an on coming onslaught.

I also like to add that the Shield gun is your best defense because it allows you to block without receiving chip damage. The draw back is that the chip damage you would receive is applied to your super meter, though that isnt a big drawback and its a small price to pay. Be weary though, if you run out of super while guarding with the shield gun, you will start receiving chip damage once again, so you HAVE to pay attention to it when you dont have a single bar full.

Comments

• EphEph Registered Abuser Joined: Posts: 203
    You can charge buster shot during hyper machine gun barrage.
    Tha's was'up.
  • GHNekoGHNeko SYMPTONS INCLUDE RESETS, TICK THROWS & INPUT LAG Joined: Posts: 622
    You can charge the buster during Hyper Machine Gun and Hyper Drill Uppercut actually, but its better to do so during the Hyper Machine Gun because it lasts long enough to give you a full charge.
  • AuhsojSivartAuhsojSivart mmmmm bison Joined: Posts: 989
    I wouldn't even say that his LV3 does okay damage. It does the same amount as the machine gun super. I don't see a reason to ever use it.
    Blah Blah Blah I am an insightful person. Here is my post.
  • GHNekoGHNeko SYMPTONS INCLUDE RESETS, TICK THROWS & INPUT LAG Joined: Posts: 622
    I wouldn't even say that his LV3 does okay damage. It does the same amount as the machine gun super. I don't see a reason to ever use it.

IT LOOKS PRETTY. Plus button Mashing makes it stronger. So Baroquing it with like 30-40 and button mashing the fuck out of your controller might make it worth it. Plus it resets your arm back to normal. That's a plus in my eyes.
  • New Era OutlawNew Era Outlaw Guntoting Superhero! Joined: Posts: 412
    There's a small mistake in that FAQ, concerning Trigger's Weapon Change.

Apparently, Mega Man can switch his weapons three ways.
    To perform a weapon switch:

Idle mode: Tap :d:,:d: and tap the correct attack button.
    Advancing Forward: :qcf: and tap the correct attack button.
    Evading Backwards: :qcb: and tap the correct attack button.

I suggest you either stick with Idle Mode (quicker set up than the others) or the one that evades backwards (for obvious reasons.)

I -still- haven't tested Shield Arm properly (I just love playing Roll too damn much. Sorry.)
    Perhaps one of the people who posted in the original thread can help me out with that regard.

Machine Gun Arm is basically MvC Mega Man's Beat Plane all over again. A couple of jabs can lead to pain AND a full screen's distance away from an opponent. Among the things you can cancel into it:

- :snka:,:snka:
    - Launcher, :snka:,:snka: (just make sure you aim that Buster properly, because enemies tend to fall below the barrage)
    - (With Drill Arm), Launcher, :snka:,:snka:, :snkb:, :snkb:* Drill Upper XX (*note that the extra hit here may be needed to connect with Drill Upper)

In other words, the mere act of getting a couple of jabs can put Mega Man Trigger in an almost unfair advantage right from the start.

As for his Shining Laser, it's probably not even worth it, seeing as how Megs can do a whole lot more damage from a tactical perspective with meters and the constant threats of an anti-air and a chainable super looming over your opponent's head, but if you want to know, it's also chainable to a couple of jabs.
    Mega Man/Roll - MvC----MM/Tron Bonne/Roll - MvC2---MM Trigger/Roll/Zero - Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
    Zero/Sentinel/Tron - MvC3 Zero - SvC Chaos
    http://neweraoutlaw.deviantart.com

Yes, I play Sentinel. Deal with it.
    I suggest you either stick with Idle Mode (quicker set up than the others) or the one that evades backwards (for obvious reasons.)

What? I have to disagree with you, I think that Advancing is more useful because as I've stated before it allows you to cancel out the ending lag of certain moves. For example, Normal Arm :r: :snkb: has a bunch of lag and you really cant do anything after it except cancel into a super, but by using the Advancing weapon change, you can cancel out the lag and move into your opponent, putting them in range of another combo.

Try it out.

With Mega on his normal arm, go...

:snka:, :snka:, :snkb:, :r: + :snkb:, :qcf: + :snkc:, :snka:, :snka:, :dp:, :snkb: + :snkc:

Try it. I use it CONSTANTLY.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    One thing that no one seemed to notice as the original Rock thread died, was that you can cancel the 3C with the drill after the first hit with: Supers, weapon switches, and releasing a buster. If you hit the foe with the drill and swap forward, you'll go under them for a fun little mixup. If that gets predictable, swap forward then back before they land. Or, just drill super, continue comboing, or buster their faces.
  • Stuart HaydenStuart Hayden Outspoken User. Joined: Posts: 11,639
    I didn't see this in the few opening posts so forgive me if it's already common knowledge.

But you can do the side step weapon changes in the air, but only twice with each jump. That includes double jumping.
    R.I.P Seth Michael Hayden
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Fuck $RK

www.breakdancingrobot.com
    I didn't see this in the few opening posts so forgive me if it's already common knowledge.

But you can do the side step weapon changes in the air, but only twice with each jump. That includes double jumping.

I think its the same thing on the ground. It's still useful for fast approaches or escapes.
    I know you can do it on the ground. But I didn't see anyone stating you can do it in the air as well.
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Fuck $RK

Really? huh. Ill start working on an end-all guide to Megaman when we get more info.
  • New Era OutlawNew Era Outlaw Guntoting Superhero! Joined: Posts: 412
    What? I have to disagree with you, I think that Advancing is more useful because as I've stated before it allows you to cancel out the ending lag of certain moves. For example, Normal Arm :r: :snkb: has a bunch of lag and you really cant do anything after it except cancel into a super, but by using the Advancing weapon change, you can cancel out the lag and move into your opponent, putting them in range of another combo.

Try it out.

With Mega on his normal arm, go...

:snka:, :snka:, :snkb:, :r: + :snkb:, :qcf: + :snkc:, :snka:, :snka:, :dp:, :snkb: + :snkc:

Try it. I use it CONSTANTLY.

Oh, my bad.
    I guess basically anything in this game has a practical application when you sit down to think about it. Then again, maybe it's a case of me LOL-ing around with Roll too much.
    Mega Man/Roll - MvC----MM/Tron Bonne/Roll - MvC2---MM Trigger/Roll/Zero - Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
    Zero/Sentinel/Tron - MvC3 Zero - SvC Chaos
    http://neweraoutlaw.deviantart.com

Yes, I play Sentinel. Deal with it.
    Really? huh. Ill start working on an end-all guide to Megaman when we get more info.

I'm trying to decide on who to work on next, Rock Vollnut or Hurricane Polymer. Cause I use both and both would really be fun to write guides for. I loved writing my Saki guide and I love contributing cause this game is awesome.

I just hate writing it all in notepad then having to HTML the shit out of it. Takes for-fucking-ever. :arazz:
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Fuck $RK

I'm trying to decide on who to work on next, Rock Vollnut or Hurricane Polymer. Cause I use both and both would really be fun to write guides for. I loved writing my Saki guide and I love contributing cause this game is awesome.

I just hate writing it all in notepad then having to HTML the shit out of it. Takes for-fucking-ever. :arazz:

Pick Megaman, man. I've need someone to develop metagame with. Its so boring doing it alone. D:
    Pick Megaman, man. I've need someone to develop metagame with. Its so boring doing it alone. D:

I'd be fine with working on a guide with you. Less work for me. :lol:

Sorry you haven't been able to catch me on aim at all. I've been busy. Holidays and what not. :looney:
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Fuck $RK

Awesome. I hope you got my YT video with the megaman combos. Ill be working on more stuff later on tonight.
  • DivemanDiveman Loli-zoning Joined: Posts: 2,657
    it is posible to use the constant weapon switch to develop more advanced pressure strings?

im working on polymar + vollnut (still play Yatterman-1), they work fine together. Vollnut gives polymar a so needed anti air and polymar gives him more pressure options. what do you think?
    Actually, thanks to my roots in Smash Bros, I realized that Megaman has a unique asset.

WAYVEDASSHENG

inb4 gb2Smashboards

But serioulsly. Imagine this, while putting on pressure with Megaman's many chip tactics, you can dash towards your opponent as if you were going to hit him, but this is only a faux. A bluff. A fake. Half way through the dash, he starts up an attack, you :qcb: :snka: back causing him to whiff, and you :qcf: :snka: back into him and attack him during the lag. This tactic is familar and basically a replica of Wavedashing from Melee. It's main use in the game is to make an opponent whiff or miss an attack and punish the lag. Using Megaman's weapon switch means you can do the exact same thing if you're hands are fast enough. Most of the time, they'll try and block, but I guarentee that 7 times out of 10, out of habit, desperation, instinct, or whatever, they'll block high and you can simply attack low. If you can fake it right, you're probably going to be able to break through their guard. And if you feel ballsy, go for a grab.
  • thegame4everthegame4ever GG Maniac Joined: Posts: 556
    Actually, thanks to my roots in Smash Bros, I realized that Megaman has a unique asset.

WAYVEDASSHENG

inb4 gb2Smashboards

But serioulsly. Imagine this, while putting on pressure with Megaman's many chip tactics, you can dash towards your opponent as if you were going to hit him, but this is only a faux. A bluff. A fake. Half way through the dash, he starts up an attack, you :qcb: :snka: back causing him to whiff, and you :qcf: :snka: back into him and attack him during the lag. This tactic is familar and basically a replica of Wavedashing from Melee. It's main use in the game is to make an opponent whiff or miss an attack and punish the lag. Using Megaman's weapon switch means you can do the exact same thing if you're hands are fast enough. Most of the time, they'll try and block, but I guarentee that 7 times out of 10, out of habit, desperation, instinct, or whatever, they'll block high and you can simply attack low. If you can fake it right, you're probably going to be able to break through their guard. And if you feel ballsy, go for a grab.

Thanks for that tip...

This is what I envision me doing:

*wavedash with Megaman* :snkb:Forward OH OH INFINITE.
    MvC3 - Wesker, Sentinel, Magneto/Akuma
    SSF4 - Sagat, Fei Long, Dictator, Yun, Akuma
    GG - Eddie, Slayer
    ST - Ryu, Claw
    Pretty much, if you can get the timing of the wavedash down, you can pretty much make them whiff, switch to your normal arm, and if they're in the corner, punish them and set them up with mega's infinite.
  • Alternate275Alternate275 ★TOURNEY HOST★ Joined: Posts: 1,035
    I don't know if this has been posted yet. But with megaman, you can spam double buster by doing:

[j.C -> j.214A/B/C or j.236A/B/C -> C (on the way down) -> land] repeat

The j.214 and j.236 part of the move will regulate the buster spam and spread them out more consistently while at the same time, you can approach or runaway from the opponent as you do this.

EDIT: Another interesting thing I found today. My opponent tried to cross me up when my first character was defeated and as Rockman was tagging in. When he crossed up, I did a backwards s.B and it seems the hitbox is still wide enough to hit even from behind (My opponent was Batsu). So it makes me wonder if the opponent tries to use a get up roll to cross Rockman's axis, you could just maybe s.B -> 236A/B/C -> ???

I don't know. Just a thought.

Also, Rockman's 236 command. Can we give the generally idea of the mode switch a name?
    Cuz I keep telling my friends "Mode Switch" because they aren't used to notations like "qcf" or "236". So I was wondering if there was a name we could give it (but "Mode Switch sounds to general and lame).
    "Proud representative & overseer of Crew Round 2" :D
    PSN: CR2_Alternate | XBL: DRS Alternate | Skype: Alternate275
    King of Fighter XIII | Guilty Gear Xrd | BlazBlue ChronoPhantasma | Ultra Street Fighter 4
  • thegame4everthegame4ever GG Maniac Joined: Posts: 556
    GHNeko can you post more combos in the op post, esp. ones that include wavedashing.
    MvC3 - Wesker, Sentinel, Magneto/Akuma
    SSF4 - Sagat, Fei Long, Dictator, Yun, Akuma
    GG - Eddie, Slayer
    ST - Ryu, Claw
    Actually. Ill release the first revision of a new guide I'm making next week. SO I really dont think I should update posts until then.
  • mtran66mtran66 stupid dope mix Joined: Posts: 348
    what's the priority on shield barrier?

it seems to stuff a lot of things. Valid anti-air?
  • SylenceSylence Charge-shot Lurker Joined: Posts: 354
    As far as I can tell, shield barrier is a disjoined hit-box; it's basically a projectile. This would be why it out-prioritizes most everything.
    As far as I can tell, shield barrier is a disjoined hit-box; it's basically a projectile. This would be why it out-prioritizes most everything.

Or you know..It could be a high priority attack rather than projectile.
    what's the priority on shield barrier?

it seems to stuff a lot of things. Valid anti-air?

As for anti-air. I dont really know because its start up isnt all that good.
    Yea it really sucks as an anti-air. I tried it out last night during casuals. It comes out way too slow. Should just anti-air with drill uppercut super.

I found that it's a lot better as a counter-poke. Just spam it outside of range and it'll stuff almost anything. Projectiles get reflected back too.

After it hits, sometimes you can get in a launcher. But not always... I wonder what options I have. I know I can just do machine gun super right away.
    I have a newfound respect for Rock Vollnut :tup:
    I used to whine about it not being Rockman or even X. But now I don't mind Vollnut =P
    King of Fighter XIII | Guilty Gear Xrd | BlazBlue ChronoPhantasma | Ultra Street Fighter 4
    yea I feel the same way lol.

I thought he was really lame at first. ie. no special attacks

every time I tried to do a special I get weapon switch.

after learning some stuff, he's really fun.
    Or you know..It could be a high priority attack rather than projectile.
    Well, show me another normal attack that has equal or similar priority, and so trades hits with the shield.
    Yea it really sucks as an anti-air. I tried it out last night during casuals. It comes out way too slow. Should just anti-air with drill uppercut super.
    It doesn't suck, you just need the right spacing for it. The hitbox is out for a while, so you can pull it out plenty early and you don't have to worry about it getting stuffed by other attacks because of its priority. If you do it this way, the recovery isn't a problem, unlike the drill upper.
    Drill upper is obviously a bigger commitment for anti-air. That's just basic.
    After it hits, sometimes you can get in a launcher. But not always... I wonder what options I have. I know I can just do machine gun super right away.
    I think you can cancel the shield on hit with :qcf: for any other arm, and pursue the opponent with a launcher or something else.
    Okay maybe I shouldn't say sucks. Just for my purpose as an anti-air. I like to wait and react. If my opponent jumps in and I see a move I can super right away. But for shield I have to act first. I got crossed up many times because of this. They just land behind me and I'm still in animation.

Also, what kind of follow-ups do you guys do after a connect drill super?

so far my opponents rarely block, or block the wrong way after they fall from the super. I've been able to set up a launcher most of the time with 2B -> 3C after they fall.
    Well, show me another normal attack that has equal or similar priority, and so trades hits with the shield.

I would if I had someone to actually help me find out. No one around me plays TvC. I'm stuck with CPUs and thats generally a handicap in competitive play. :/

I actually find the shield arm is his second best arm, with his normal arm being best.

Drill Arm I have issues with Baroque-ing because they still fly away at times, and if they dont.

Does anyone know how much stun the Drill super has and how quickly you regain control? Im not completely sure if its possible to follow up. You probably can with a Super Jump, but yea. I want to know the possibilities.
  • Jon SlaytonJon Slayton Consistently Inconsistent Joined: Posts: 4,304
    Dunno if this is known or not but if it's new I found something retardedly broke with megaman. Basically with no gun equipped, just tiger knee a 6B and do it as low to the ground as possible. It's totally safe. You can also do a second one or mix it up and land, or even wave dash away with gun switches. Actually you can even do guns switch twice towards them and then do another one. So stupid.
    "You know that sinking feeling when Zero hits you?" - MTP

You can only be as good as those you copy, those who you seek to emulate. If you want to be great then be yourself.
    Okay. Tiger Knee?

Remember folks. I was born in Smash. SRK terms are lost on me.

Explain please.
    Okay. Tiger Knee?

Remember folks. I was born in Smash. SRK terms are lost on me.

Explain please.

I'll take this one! =D

Okay. There's obviously a lot you have to learn about fighting games in general. Hit me up on AIM so I can clear up a lot of misunderstandings for you =]

Anyway, TigerKneeing is a technique usually used for Aerial commands. The general idea is to perform the command on ground and then pressing some sort of an upwards direction at the end of the "directional" commands before hitting at the attack button(s) to finish executing a move.

For example, if you were playing with Viewtiful Joe and TigerKnee'd his Voomerang, your command would look like this:

While standing on the ground - :qcf::uf:+:snka:

This will put Joe into the air as close to the ground as possible while performing Voomerang.

Well for Aerial command normals make no difference =P
    As Rock Vollnut, you can just:
    :uf::r:+:snkb: or :r::uf:+:snkb: so that you can perform this as close to the ground as humanly possible

GHNeko! Remember, I play both SSBM AND fighting games (KOF, GGAC, VF5, etc) and been doing so for a VERY long time. So I can relate the comparisons with you if you have any questions or need any help understanding anything =3

EDIT: TigerKnee'ing (among other terms) is more or less a universal term for fighting games in general. Not just an "SRK" term :razzy:
  • maelstrom218maelstrom218 u-air -> f-smash Joined: Posts: 471
    It's nice to see smashers on SRK. :wgrin:

With respect to TK'd moves, is there any practical application to TK'd weapon switch? I was fooling around with it yesterday, and it seems like you can use it to "short hop" into an aerial (for overhead purposes), and land pretty quickly.

If you delay the TK weapon swich a bit, you can also land on the other side of the opponent. . .possible crossover perhaps? It seems a bit slow though.

The problem is that you can't seem to do a TK'd weapon switch in the middle of combos (I think), so for mixup, you'd have to use it after a baroque-cancelled blockstring to continue the pressure.

Don't take my word for it though, since I can't test this. Anyone else play around with TK'd weapon switch?
    SSBM: Mario, Captain Falcon, Luigi
    GG^C: Sol, Bridget, Ky
    TvC: Rock, Ryu
    I have. It sometimes would work against the opponents that are very comfortable on the defense to abuse the Advance guard so crossing them up can be fun sometimes xD

But it's not really reliable at all. Concerning the TK out of attack strings/combos, no, it more or less won't work because for the most part, you can't Jump cancel any of the ground normals >.<
    Hrm, I see. So what's the issue with using TK'd weapon switch as an overhead? It's too slow?
    Hrm, I see. So what's the issue with using TK'd weapon switch as an overhead? It's too slow?

Well if they're crouching then it may work if they are bold on the defense or don't have the reflexes to react in time. But it becomes noticeable. It's just that my success rate isn't that high with using this little maneuver because my opponents have indeed retaliated against it. But on occasion it works.

Here's something interesting though. Mind game crossups =P

If you're certain they're going to wake up in place, or if they aren't moving because they're so defensive, then you can:

Dash -> Jump towards or at the opponent -> Weapon switch behind them -> Weapons switch back infront of them -> Fall with j.B =P

I find that to be fun. Again though, not very reliable. There just may not be enough reward or benefits in using these as far as I can tell.
    Ah, thanks very much for the info, Alternate. That crossover stuff you mentioned actually sounds like quite a decent oki setup; I'll need to fiddle with that later on.

I get the general impression that Rock's weapon dash gives (or will give, if we can discover anything else with it) him a huge mobility advantage. In a sense, it reminds me of Bridget's 214K yo-yo set shenanigans in GGXX--you could use it in block strings for quick aerials, evade corner lockdown, all sorts of good stuff.

Obviously, Rock's WD isn't as versatile, but it sure as hell feels that way. :rofl:
    In every fighting game I know of, a ground attack would have to be jump-cancellable in order for you to be able to tiger knee something from it. The only jump-cancellable attack Rock has is his launcher, and it's not cancellable on block, so those aerial weapon switch mix-ups wouldn't work in combo strings.

And I'm not sure that I'd call 9B a tiger knee motion.. but yeah, it's good cause it's an overhead, that makes it useful. I found follow-ups to it to be kinda tricky, though, because Rock remains stationary in mid-air after it for so long. I'll have to experiment more with it, probably with some of Samurai's suggestions.
    Dash -> Jump towards or at the opponent -> Weapon switch behind them -> Weapons switch back infront of them -> Fall with j.B =P

Yeah, something like that is used in Melty Blood, but here it's not as fast, so it's not as reliable. You'd be better off faking an air dash behind the opponent, then weapon switching back again to cross them up. Maelstrom, that might be a decent okizeme but I really don't think it would be effective in this game because of how easy rolling is.
    I'll take this one! =D

Okay. There's obviously a lot you have to learn about fighting games in general. Hit me up on AIM so I can clear up a lot of misunderstandings for you =]

Anyway, TigerKneeing is a technique usually used for Aerial commands. The general idea is to perform the command on ground and then pressing some sort of an upwards direction at the end of the "directional" commands before hitting at the attack button(s) to finish executing a move.

For example, if you were playing with Viewtiful Joe and TigerKnee'd his Voomerang, your command would look like this:

While standing on the ground - :qcf::uf:+:snka:

This will put Joe into the air as close to the ground as possible while performing Voomerang.

Well for Aerial command normals make no difference =P
    As Rock Vollnut, you can just:
    :uf::r:+:snkb: or :r::uf:+:snkb: so that you can perform this as close to the ground as humanly possible

GHNeko! Remember, I play both SSBM AND fighting games (KOF, GGAC, VF5, etc) and been doing so for a VERY long time. So I can relate the comparisons with you if you have any questions or need any help understanding anything =3

EDIT: TigerKnee'ing (among other terms) is more or less a universal term for fighting games in general. Not just an "SRK" term :razzy:

ah. I think I understand. Ill have to practice it up. Would it be worth practicing against the CPUs? Seeing there isnt a Texas, Sugarland Scene up yet.
    In every fighting game I know of, a ground attack would have to be jump-cancellable in order for you to be able to tiger knee something from it. The only jump-cancellable attack Rock has is his launcher, and it's not cancellable on block, so those aerial weapon switch mix-ups wouldn't work in combo strings.

And I'm not sure that I'd call 9B a tiger knee motion.. but yeah, it's good cause it's an overhead, that makes it useful. I found follow-ups to it to be kinda tricky, though, because Rock remains stationary in mid-air after it for so long. I'll have to experiment more with it, probably with some of Samurai's suggestions.

Yeah, something like that is used in Melty Blood, but here it's not as fast, so it's not as reliable. You'd be better off faking an air dash behind the opponent, then weapon switching back again to cross them up. Maelstrom, that might be a decent okizeme but I really don't think it would be effective in this game because of how easy rolling is.

Hmmm if you're having problems with slow recovery, try getting it lower to the ground. Ideally you want 6B to be done as low to the ground as possible so right afterwards he touches the ground and it cancels the animation. You can also jump cancel it and go into an air dash immediately if that would be easier for the combo. Haven't tested it but I imagine you can do like 9B IADB land AAA 5B 5C 236A x infinity.

You can only be as good as those you copy, those who you seek to emulate. If you want to be great then be yourself.
    Hmmm if you're having problems with slow recovery, try getting it lower to the ground. Ideally you want 6B to be done as low to the ground as possible so right afterwards he touches the ground and it cancels the animation. You can also jump cancel it and go into an air dash immediately if that would be easier for the combo. Haven't tested it but I imagine you can do like 9B IADB land AAA 5B 5C 236A x infinity.

From what I could tell, MegaMan doesn't fall at all while he's doing the punch, or if he does, only at the very last part of it. He's literally floating in the same spot for the whole duration of the punch, so it's not like doing it closer to the ground would help; he just doesn't fall at all, or not until the very end. What I thought might change this was cancelling the punch into arm change in the air, then continuing on the ground.

I don't understand the combo you're mentioning. 236A after 5C (standing shot)? And what attack are you saying you can jump-cancel from, 6B in the air?

Either way, the only real advantageous trick I see with this is that it's an overhead, with free recovery since you're able to cancel it into arm change. I'd have to sit down more with it and see about follow-ups.
    236A after 5C in the corner is the infinite. Puts you up close enough and cancels the recovery of the shot.

Also 6B in the air definitely recovers faster than 6B on the ground, and like you said, jump cancels and all. He does float BEFORE it connects, but afterwards he drops down. Him floating at first is the whole reason it works, lol.

Either way, the only real advantageous trick I see with this is that it's an overhead, with free recovery since you're able to cancel it into arm change. I'd have to sit down more with it and see about follow-ups.

It's not an overhead. Test it yourself. I tried this move tonight during casuals and ppl were blocking it low.

9B with normal arm (or jump 6B).

if it connects, you get a free combo, but it's not an overhead even in the air.

I had high hopes, if it hit overhead that would have made megaman a lot stronger. It's still a really good poke though.
    It's not an overhead. Test it yourself. I tried this move tonight during casuals and ppl were blocking it low.
    What the... it's not?!

Why do I recall that being an overhead.. if it's not then, this isn't that big a deal..

236A after 5C in the corner is the infinite. Puts you up close enough and cancels the recovery of the shot.

Also 6B in the air definitely recovers faster than 6B on the ground, and like you said, jump cancels and all.
    You meant that combo to be in the corner, then.. ok, yeah I'm aware of the infinite.

Aerial 6B is jump cancellable because almost every normal aerial is jump-cancellable in this game. What people were talking about earlier is cancelling a ground attack into an aerial 6B via jump-cancelling, but I don't see that it can be done with MegaMan's normal moveset.
    WHATTTTTTTTTTT It's not overhead?

Seriously? TvC training mode is ass. Well that hurts megaman quite a bit.

Wouldnt it be smarter to test these things in Versus mode or Level 1 CPU Survival or Arcade mode? The only way training mode would work is if you had someone to help you.

Also, I know that 6B Normal has a bit of hitstun, but how much block stun would it have, if they can block 9B low, if it has enough block stun, wouldn't that make it a safe move to WD out of?
    Wouldnt it be smarter to test these things in Versus mode or Level 1 CPU Survival or Arcade mode? The only way training mode would work is if you had someone to help you.

I don't know what you're talking about. If you try to test an overhead in Survival mode, and you hit with it, how are you supposed to know if it was because the CPU blocked low, or if you just flat-out hit with it? Especially at Lv1.
    Most training modes let you control the CPU's move and block options separately, so you could test and overhead by having it crouch and block. If TvC training mode doesn't let you do that, it sucks, but a fighting CPU is no better help.

You should rephrase the other question in your post; I don't understand it.
    As far as I see, I don't think arm-cancelling a 6B in the air (close to the ground, so you're hitting a standing opponent) is much more advantageous than arm-cancelling a normal 6B on the ground.

And honestly, "arm-cancelling" is a better term than wavedashing.