Is it worth it?

SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
I've been considering getting either a Wii or a 360 to sit alongside my PS3 these last couple of days. I've played a lot of 360 and Wii at friends/family's houses, but my tastes are vastly different.

TvC, SSBB, and GGXX Accent Core are the games I'm most interested in...

What other good fighters are on this system? Are SSBB and TvC worth the system for? Did you regret buying one? What are the official TvC sticks like, if you've used them?

Thanks guys.

Edit: Not sure if this is the right section, but..

Comments

• RSDeathscytheRSDeathscythe Dee Jay! Joined: Posts: 51
    Don't buy a Wii just for TvC. Get an xbox 360. Also I think the version of GG is broken on the Wii. I know the hori stick is wireless and I am unsure about the TvC one.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    In reference to the above poster's response, don't get an RROD 360, especially since you already have a PS3 and their game libraries are about 85% identical.

As far as Wii goes, I'm not really sure it's worth it for just fighting games. Especially SSBB. Brawl is a very fun party/goof off game, but as any kind of serious or competitive fighter it is borked. Beyond Brawl, there really isn't a whole lot. TvC and GGXXAC are the only other majorly notable ones. And TvC has to be either imported or pirated.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 17,913
    if you're talking about just fighting games...then currently no wii is lacking some meat in that department...
  • ReXXXSopranoReXXXSoprano Triple Da G.O.D! Joined: Posts: 1,509
    But even though it's lacking in the FG department, doesn't give you any less reason to cop one. Can we say...NO MORE HEROES!!! The Wii has a lot of games that use the Wii in very innovative ways. So you might wanna hold up until you find more reason than TvC to cop one.
  • Rob2_0Rob2_0 .... Joined: Posts: 352
    dont bother with wii if ur want fighting games, tvc is asian only, you need to spend money ona chip or figure something out if you do. better off getting a 360 , has plenty of fighters and decent online only downside is you have to pay for xbox live
    Sonic hurricane kick.
    The wii has plenty of fighting games (more than the 360 and PS3 if you include vc ):

Dragon Ball Z budokai tenkaichi 2-3
    Bleach Shattered Blade
    Naruto Clash of Revolution 1-2
    Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX-EX2
    Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
    King of Fighters Orochi saga
    Super Smash bros. Brawl
    Castlvania Judgment
    Mortal Kombat Armageddon
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (import only)

and for vc:

Street Fighter 2's from SNES and Sega Generation
    Art of Fighting 1-2
    World Heroes
    Fatal Fury 1-2
    Virtual Fighter 2
    Samurai Shodown 1-2
    King of Monsters
    Eternal Champions

And there still unreleased titles:

Samurai Shodown Anthology(Mar 09)
    TMNT fighter (TBA)
    Toshinden (TBA)

The real question is what kind of fighting games do you like. The wii is more of a classic/retro 2D and nontraditional/free-roaming 3D fighter console. While the 360 and PS3 are more traditional in both 2D and 3D aspect. I tell you this if you already have a PS3 you're not going to find much if any fighting games for the 360 that can not already be purchased for your PS3.
  • RushedDownRushedDown back in the usa Joined: Posts: 2,046
    dont bother with wii if ur want fighting games, tvc is asian only, you need to spend money ona chip or figure something out if you do. better off getting a 360 , has plenty of fighters and decent online only downside is you have to pay for xbox live

wii has a soft mod
    homebrew channel ftw
    Home Depot Vagina TM
    Xanoz says the cure for the common Emil is Semi-Tight White Pie
    RIP Harold John Grinnell 8/29/53 - 8/29/09 you will be missed dad

RushedSRK on psn and live
    Well, it's not so much the type of FGs I like, as the qualities in them. I like any game that is deep, in some way complex, and enjoyable. (The three games I have been playing this week are SF2THD, FF9, and Neverwinter Nights, lol). TvC looks very fun, and I can see myself going through the extra trouble if it means tourney action. My sister has a Wii, and when I'm at my Dad's pad we play Golf and shit on that. Seems like a fun console all round really. I don't get how people can call it a casual console when it's the only one which doesn't have 6 billion FPSes on it.
    Well then, just look at the selection of games for it and make the call yourself. There is some good stuff for the Wii. But there's a lot of shovelware too.
    I have a 360 and a Wii and I've only used my Wii for like 5 games... not really worth it especially with its current craptastic library of retarder games, who keeps buying shite like Imagine you're fat and nobody likes you by Ubicrap.
  • Septimus PrimeSeptimus Prime Grammar Fhrer Joined: Posts: 5,722
    My recommendation is your borrow your sister's Wii for a few days/weeks and play it a lot. Then see how you like it after that. Just playing someone else's console now and again for at most a few hours at a time is not indicative of what your true gaming experience will be like with the Wii, since you don't have enough time to get bored of it, and in that situation, you're never playing it by yourself.
    Beef: It's what's for dinner.
    Beer: It's what's for right fucking now.

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice... fuck you.
    I have a 360 and a Wii and I've only used my Wii for like 5 games... not really worth it especially with its current craptastic library of retarder games, who keeps buying shite like Imagine you're fat and nobody likes you by Ubicrap.

What 5 games are those?
  • xero15xero15 Follow me on Twitter Joined: Posts: 4,069
    i got the wii when it first came out and at first i thought it was a bad investment but when more games started to come out i enjoyed it more. No More Heroes is fun as hell, i like the web system in Web of Shadows, im learning ggac on it and im getting tvc later. mario kart is addicting and fun as fuck and metroid prime makes for a fun fps. due to life situations i had to sell part of my library but i also enjoyed playin twillight princess, super paper mario, nba live, and mario galaxy. i would suggest getting it but at the same time we probably have different taste in games outside of fighters so rent some games and see if your sister will let you play them to get a feel of it.

on another note theres another tmnt fighter coming out? hell yeah :woot:
    I blame... the new generation for wanting things to be easy :annoy:
    I'm that Spider-man guy... or better yet, just call me Z
    If you don't like change you'll like irrelevance even less.
    i don't know if the fact that i'm a chick makes a difference or not but i feel that the wii is worth it if you are willing to embrace it. yeah it might not be as 'cool' as the ps3 or xbox, but it is innovative and genuinely fun to play. it is definitely family friendly and would be a good choice if you are looking to get people who don't really play video games to join in the fun...my parents for example love playing the wii and have picked it up fairly easily. my nieces are the same way. i was raised on nintendo and will love it forever so the wii was the right choice for me. i like the selection of games that are available, although there is always room for improvement in that department. as for fighting games well, obviously the wii does not compare to the xbox 360 or ps3 but there are a few options out there.
    I think that with the wii you have to know what you're getting going in. Due to its hardware limits you aren't going to get the latest shooter of the moment or the standard "hardcore" titles (that's an overrated designation IMO). However you are going to get some pretty quirky and inventive titles and if the controls are done right, a unique gaming experience. I grew up on the big N and love their first party titles and the Virtual Console is a definite plus. Frankly, if you aren't a big shooter fan I would get a wii because the vast majority of 360 titles can be found on either the PS3 or PC. The wii is a good party machine and if you like Nintendo's flagship titles and the better third party ones, its a very good addition to your gaming library.

But hey, like Cinna said maybe its a girl gamer thing.
  • Knot8Knot8 Fifth Sun Joined: Posts: 641
    TvC is a fun game and GG too but when it comes to fighters thats it on the Wii the TvC stick sucks from what I've heard the Hori for it is fine though.
    FC: 2320-6135-4110 Cz
    Don't buy a Wii just for TvC. Get an xbox 360. Also I think the version of GG is broken on the Wii. I know the hori stick is wireless and I am unsure about the TvC one.

yeah, just get a 360. TvC is great and all, just doesn't exactly warrant the purchase of a Wii...and forget about that TvC stick, it's a piece of shit. go with the Hori
    Wii sucks online. Just look at brawl, its unplayable.
    Oh yeah, do they sell hori sticks with a stick instead of a ball? I hate the ball.
    the ball sucks .. a stick would be much better
  • GradiusFanGradiusFan Joined: Posts: 44
    If I could dish out Rep I'd definately be throwing some Cool M's way. If you are afan of fighting games and you allready have a ps3 then don't get a 360 over a Wii IMO. Neo Geo fighters, arcade games recently added to the VC, all the classic fighters allready available and more potential for awesome games to be coming out all the time on Wii. The Wii has plenty of pros while the the 360 has one major flaw that somebody has allready pointed out. Most of the fighters on the 360 are also on the ps3. So get a wii.
  • Grits'N'GravyGrits'N'Gravy I used to oicho throw people. Joined: Posts: 977
    Wii has like 2 games.

Mario Kart and Wii Sports.

Fuck that shit. The ONLY thing I am going to play on mine when it comes out is Punch Out, which I'm probably not going to pay for.
    CFN: BatmanWithAGlock
    E. Honda is gone forever. 。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。
  • kazkaz 'Dat Kryptonite Joined: Posts: 4,058
    I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but I will say I've gotten upset lately at the hardware limitations the Wii has. It has some great games and is a party system, but I'm pretty big on online gaming and most of the popular online games IMO for Wii suck considering how easy it is to cheat/glitch. The hardware limitations become a problem when patches to fix these glitches can't be made, thus ruining my gaming experience.
    RockBogart on SRK's NFL Thread: "I just don't spend all season in the thread, saying dumb shit and arguing with monbaby."

Thurst mad about Romo in IRC:
    (4:12:43 PM) thurstOFF left the room (Leaving) HAHAHA
    the only reason I own a Wii is for Mario Karts. Was it worth it, yes it was. But that's also taking into consideration I've been a die hard fan of Mario Karts from SNES, to Gameboy, to Gamecube, and I had to play this one.

To me, the Wii offers nothing else. Not to mention, motion controls are bullshit.
  • Sasuke182Sasuke182 -忍者 段- Joined: Posts: 306
    im looking at getting one for punch out! i miss those days.. haha still remains one of my favorite games! and the new contra game coming out on it! time 2 bring the classics back!!
  • nilcamnilcam New Student Joined: Posts: 455
    I own a PS3 and a Wii. I think the Wii is great as a secondary system. I have a larger library of discs for Wii than PS3. Games I'd recommend: No More Heroes, Fire Emblem, Ghost Squad, Castle of Shikigami, Blastworks, SNK Arcade Classics, King of Fighters Orochi, Samurai Shodown Anthology, Williams Pinball Collection, Mercury Meltdown, Ultimate Shooting Collection and Zack & Wiki. The SNK Collections have been really good on Wii and you can get a Joybox convertor for your PS2 stick. The VC and WiiWare both have great games to offer as well. I'm thinking about buying a Neo Geo Stick 2 for PS2 to get that authentic Neo Geo experience.

Punch Out is day one for me.
  • JarekovJarekov Thou Art A Bear Joined: Posts: 1,995
    how is kof orochi? i really hated gg on the wii, so im pretty tentative to pick up anything new for the wii
    KoF Orochi is much better on Wii than PS2. The load times are non existent and the games play very smoothly. The only problem is that the intro that runs when you start the game is pixelated. I love the challenges that SNKP put into it. You can get it for $20 at Gamestop, which is a steal for 5 KoF games. I'm looking into getting a Neo Geo stick 2 for PS2 and a Joybox convertor to use on the Wii when I play the SNK anthologies.
    Wii sucks online. Just look at brawl, its unplayable.

agreed. TvC is great tho, but not worth soley getting a wii for.
  • EVAWINGZEROEVAWINGZERO Slacktivismist Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 2,229
    Like many other people have Stated, don't get a Wii solely based on Fighting Games. Don't get ANY system solely based on Fighting games. I am a Die Hard Nintendo Fanboy, but I will admit out of the 3 current Gen Consoles, my Wii get's the least amount of playtime. There are some Great games for the Wii (Mario Strikers, and Mario Kart, and Metal Slug Anthology) but there is also a lot of bad ones. Before I buy a console I make sure that there is at least a handful of games of any genre that will validate me purchasing the system.

Just look at whats coming out and is already out Fighting Game wise, and make your decision based on that, if you are infact buying the console just for Fighting games.
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    [UMVC3 - A Button, B Button, C Button + S]
    [MK9 - Scorpion, Freddy Krueger]
  • JPGR-JPGR- Not good at SFIV Joined: Posts: 123
    I wholeheartedly regret buying a Wii. There is nothing interesting for it. It's just a big waste of an incredible concept.
  • Warp2Warp2 Hachi-One Diver Joined: Posts: 115
    I wholeheartedly regret buying a Wii. There is nothing interesting for it. It's just a big waste of an incredible concept.
    It will be interesting to see if the Motion-Plus can help deliver even a bit of what was originally promised. As a new Wii owner, I eagerly await next month's release of Grand Slam Tennis to see firsthand.
  • KrosKros Mak n Sak Joined: Posts: 611
    Like many other people have Stated, don't get a Wii solely based on Fighting Games. Don't get ANY system solely based on Fighting games. I am a Die Hard Nintendo Fanboy, but I will admit out of the 3 current Gen Consoles, my Wii get's the least amount of playtime. There are some Great games for the Wii (Mario Strikers, and Mario Kart, and Metal Slug Anthology) but there is also a lot of bad ones. Before I buy a console I make sure that there is at least a handful of games of any genre that will validate me purchasing the system.

Just look at whats coming out and is already out Fighting Game wise, and make your decision based on that, if you are infact buying the console just for Fighting games.

Exactly the same feeling, except at first I started out playing Brawl/melee and found that it was too stupid and switched to SF and KOF. Sold brawl and now we only got Animal crossing... waiting for punch out though.
    3s: Makoto/Sean/Yun
    SSF4: R.I.P Makoto
  • JarekovJarekov Thou Art A Bear Joined: Posts: 1,995
    actually with a stick GG AC is pretty good on wii, the motion controls are a joke. my friend can even play on the shitty classic controller. ( by pretty good i mean i havent noticed any differences in performance or bugs from the ps2 or arcade )

i finally got my TvC game and i actually am glad i got the wii.
  • VidnessVidness Spirules Joined: Posts: 1,106
    Wii + usb drive = NICE
    "It was greed that killed him" - Vidness

I bought a Wii because of the possibilities that he could present gaming in general and if rumors are correct Microsoft and Sony both recognize what's going on. To say that there isn't anything interesting on the system as of Right Now is not true. I've been waiting for the period in this system life where 'the light bulb clicks' in the same similar manner that it occured with the DS. With what the line up is currently that's coming out for this year it looks like that period is finally coming what with several 3rd parties actually not being lazy about the system and putting quality games out on the system. Perfect example being Bethesda actually said they were going to make a hardcore title for the system.

I've heard people complaining about the Wii not having any games and I agreed that it definitely was lacking half of the year last year but people saying that now aren't paying attention to the lineup.
  • T37 RampageT37 Rampage DGAF Joined: Posts: 1,264
    If you've already got a PS3, you don't need either.

The 360 shares most of its library with the PS3, and the Wii has < 10 worthwhile games to begin with.
    anime swag
    If you've already got a PS3, you don't need either.

The 360 shares most of its library with the PS3, and the Wii has < 10 worthwhile games to begin with.

what is your definition of 'worthwhile'?
  • raeliraeli Showtime! Joined: Posts: 3,905
    what is your definition of 'worthwhile'?

Games that are worth playing. As in, not the shovelware that composes 90% of the wii's library?
    themightyraeli
    I'm free.
    My Favorites...

Mario Galaxy
    Mario Kart
    Mario Strikers
    Metroid Prime 3
    Brawl (A LOT of people hate it, but it's fun srewing around with Items on )
    Castle of Shikigami 3
    House of the Dead 2 and 3
    Metal Slug Anthology
    GG Accent Core.

Only games I'm looking forward to getting are MAdworld and Waiting on new F-Zero and Mario Golf.

There are SOME good games, just few and far between.
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    Games that are worth playing. As in, not the shovelware that composes 90% of the wii's library?

I know the wii has a lot of shovelware but there are a few titles that come out that are good that nobody seems to pay any attention too...like Deadly Creatures
    My Favorites...

Mario Galaxy
    Mario Kart
    Mario Strikers
    Metroid Prime 3
    Brawl (A LOT of people hate it, but it's fun srewing around with Items on )
    Castle of Shikigami 3
    House of the Dead 2 and 3
    Metal Slug Anthology
    GG Accent Core.

Only games I'm looking forward to getting are MAdworld and Waiting on new F-Zero and Mario Golf.

There are SOME good games, just few and far between.

I'm actually interested in Castle of Shikigami 3..I saw it at our store and was wondering what it was about. I haven't done any research into it quite yet. You didn't play House of the Dead Overkill? Not interested in The Conduit? Muramasa?
    Castle of Shikigami 3 is a great shmup.
    I know the wii has a lot of shovelware but there are a few titles that come out that are good that nobody seems to pay any attention too...like Deadly Creatures

I'm actually interested in Castle of Shikigami 3..I saw it at our store and was wondering what it was about. I haven't done any research into it quite yet. You didn't play House of the Dead Overkill? Not interested in The Conduit? Muramasa?

COS3 is a lot of fun. I was going to actually buy the Raiden Games for x360, but my friend persuaded me into trying COS. GREAT Shmup so far. the game gets nuts, but it's still a LOT of fun. I like how you can iuse different characters and they all have different weapon types and such.

it's not that I don't like those games, it's just i've been buying other things and havent gotten a chance to play them yet. SF4 and Battle Fantasia have been consuming much of my time lately.
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    you guys should really visit the Wii thread in general discussion more often if you don't already. I just rebooted it.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=6783527&posted=1#post6783527
    I picked up a Wii before any other current gen console, but never got that into it except for parties

I enjoyed some of the games on it for a while, but the only games I ever played for more than 5 hours total by myself were Guitar Hero 3 and Ninja Gaiden 2 for the Virtual Console

All in all I think it was a bad investment, since I bought the Wii new for full price and paid the full price for all the games I bought, which was pretty much every blockbuster game from 2007/2008, and I've played more on the X-Box 360 in the last month than I did over the course of 9 months of Wii ownership

SSBB sucked online, but that was mostly due to my crappy internet connection
    I picked up a Wii before any other current gen console, but never got that into it except for parties

I enjoyed some of the games on it for a while, but the only games I ever played for more than 5 hours total by myself were Guitar Hero 3 and Ninja Gaiden 2 for the Virtual Console

All in all I think it was a bad investment, since I bought the Wii new for full price and paid the full price for all the games I bought, which was pretty much every blockbuster game from 2007/2008, and I've played more on the X-Box 360 in the last month than I did over the course of 9 months of Wii ownership

SSBB sucked online, but that was mostly due to my crappy internet connection

SSBB still sucks online, and I have a 20down/5up cable connection. It's mostly on Nintendo's end I believe. I haven't tried it in a while though.....Maybe it's gotten better....
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    SSBB still sucks online, and I have a 20down/5up cable connection. It's mostly on Nintendo's end I believe. I haven't tried it in a while though.....Maybe it's gotten better....

Nope. Still as bad as you remember.
    Wii Wouldn't be a bad choice

Nintendo Wii wouldn't be a bad choice if you already own a PS3.
    Honestly, I really liked Super Smash Bros Brawl.
    I used to play King of Fighters and other fighting games on a used SNK Neo Geo :lovin:.
    This console was the best choice. You could play those games again on the Wii virtual console.
    Again, I think the Nintendo Wii would be more appropriate for you.
    Nintendo Wii wouldn't be a bad choice if you already own a PS3.
    Honestly, I really liked Super Smash Bros Brawl.
    I used to play King of Fighters and other fighting games on a used SNK Neo Geo :lovin:.
    This console was the best choice. You could play those games again on the Wii virtual console.
    Again, I think the Nintendo Wii would be more appropriate for you.

Stick to the neo geo, it has more KOF's than the wii does right now, and buying a wii just for brawl really ain't that good of a reason. Lucky you got a neo geo though. :arazz:
    Arent Neo-Geo's Expensive though??
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]