Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

The Dynasty/Samurai/Gundam/Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) Warriors thread

1858687888991»

Comments

• affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 3,192
    Overall positive reviews!!
    Target audience:
    -People who like action games
    -People who like open world games

Average play time estimate:
    -2~10 hours to clear a character's story
    -Over 100 hours if including all replay values

1st reviewer: 9
    The scale of the land of China presented by the open world is overwhelming. You can freely progress the story in a vast world, so you're able to role-play as a character more than before.
    Using the grappling hook to scale walls, infiltrate, and attack castles from inside is fresh and interesting. The renewed battle system has not only the obvious exhilarating feel but also a high degree of freedom in forming combo attacks, so it has a good impression.
    To be honest, there are still some rough-hewn parts, but I felt a new possibility in the Dynasty Warriors series.

2nd reviewer: 9
    Fields in open world [games] have a sense of being unleashed, and the added features like hunting and collecting materials make it fresh. The game is being created to let you freely accomplish objectives while attempting the main mission at your preferred timing; it has a high degree of freedom and a feel of immersion towards character's standings in battles, which are good.
    The things you can do have vastly changed, and when compared to past series titles the buoyancy gets a bit thinner here. However, the point where they're no longer stuck in the rut by renewing the actions leaves a good impression.

3rd reviewer: 9
    As you walk around the singly connected field and continue doing battles, you will get the feel of living inside a grand historical drama as a general. The map is enormous, letting you actually feel the scale of the land of China.
    Searching for scenic spots and preys without having to bother about time is also a good thing. There are multiple ways to proceed through missions, so it's also fun to try out methods of attacking that's different from actual history.
    By unleashing techniques in accordance to enemy's states, you can make a positioning like a flow; there's an interesting factor in forming your own combo.

4th reviewer: 8
    By becoming an open world game, the gameplay breadth has much broadened. It's filled with things like fishing, hunting, and customizing your Hideaway house, so the content has even more replay value than before.
    You can feel the vastness of the land of China, but on the other side, there are many broad fields with nothing inside them, so I had an impression that the fun factor in moving and taking detours is thin.
    There are also a few more parts I'm concerned about, such as the Autorun feature being fuzzy, or the character movements sometimes becoming sluggish.
  • odinodin arch enthusiast Joined: Posts: 16,170 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Does it have an Empire mode? Otherwise, don't curr.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Say....my....name! Joined: Posts: 22,150 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    affinity wrote: »
    Overall positive reviews!!
    Target audience:
    -People who like action games
    -People who like open world games

Average play time estimate:
    -2~10 hours to clear a character's story
    -Over 100 hours if including all replay values

1st reviewer: 9
    The scale of the land of China presented by the open world is overwhelming. You can freely progress the story in a vast world, so you're able to role-play as a character more than before.
    Using the grappling hook to scale walls, infiltrate, and attack castles from inside is fresh and interesting. The renewed battle system has not only the obvious exhilarating feel but also a high degree of freedom in forming combo attacks, so it has a good impression.
    To be honest, there are still some rough-hewn parts, but I felt a new possibility in the Dynasty Warriors series.

2nd reviewer: 9
    Fields in open world [games] have a sense of being unleashed, and the added features like hunting and collecting materials make it fresh. The game is being created to let you freely accomplish objectives while attempting the main mission at your preferred timing; it has a high degree of freedom and a feel of immersion towards character's standings in battles, which are good.
    The things you can do have vastly changed, and when compared to past series titles the buoyancy gets a bit thinner here. However, the point where they're no longer stuck in the rut by renewing the actions leaves a good impression.

3rd reviewer: 9
    As you walk around the singly connected field and continue doing battles, you will get the feel of living inside a grand historical drama as a general. The map is enormous, letting you actually feel the scale of the land of China.
    Searching for scenic spots and preys without having to bother about time is also a good thing. There are multiple ways to proceed through missions, so it's also fun to try out methods of attacking that's different from actual history.
    By unleashing techniques in accordance to enemy's states, you can make a positioning like a flow; there's an interesting factor in forming your own combo.

4th reviewer: 8
    By becoming an open world game, the gameplay breadth has much broadened. It's filled with things like fishing, hunting, and customizing your Hideaway house, so the content has even more replay value than before.
    You can feel the vastness of the land of China, but on the other side, there are many broad fields with nothing inside them, so I had an impression that the fun factor in moving and taking detours is thin.
    There are also a few more parts I'm concerned about, such as the Autorun feature being fuzzy, or the character movements sometimes becoming sluggish.

Okay............what review is that from?
    odin wrote: »
    Does it have an Empire mode? Otherwise, don't curr.

Wait for the Empires expansion then..........
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • riburibu A Return to Form Joined: Posts: 2,764
    Game has Chinese audio? Did they do that in 8? I don't remember lol...either way fuck yea.
    CFN-Unlimited_RiBu. MvCI-Hunter/Dante
    Ed_SFV Discord: https://discord.gg/w6naQPC

Nah.........first time KT has done it for a new Dynasty Warriors game.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • xEGAxBeastkingxxEGAxBeastkingx Sorry about yo damn luck Joined: Posts: 2,765
    What the hell did they do to the English VAs? They were supposed to get better not get worse.
    Gamertag - GDxKingofBeasts
    SFV - Balrog
    Saints | Cardinals | Suns fan
    Nah.........first time KT has done it for a new Dynasty Warriors game.

Probably best news I've heard bout the game in awhile.
    RotK games are always more enjoyable with Mandarin over Japanese audio lol...

well I think DW3 or DW4 had Chinese VAs, but exclusively to the eastern version.

DW9 is the first to have Chinese VAs included internationally in the series.

also those reviews are from Famitsu.
    DW9 Pre-order / early purchase details for XBone, PS4.........and Steam.

Man.............I can't get behind the English dubbing.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    I think they could sell the extra characters separately later as DLC, it would save people money that aren't interested in the other season pass content.

oh yea and they said they are developing a patch to add a new mode that has improved framerate.

edited February 13
    Yeah..........DW9 not good.

Kind of regret Day One'ing this.

At the very least.........they should be patching these framerate issues.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • Stuart HaydenStuart Hayden Peace to the Mountain. Joined: Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Glad I decided to skip this one.
    R.I.P Seth Michael Hayden
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Negro Install
    Yeah..........a lot of stuff coming about this game.

The English dub is just terrible IMO...........word from Chinese players is that even the Chinese dub is bad.

Severe lag in certain parts of the game.............I hope they fix this ASAP.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • Stuart HaydenStuart Hayden Peace to the Mountain. Joined: Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    shame.
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Negro Install
    From the sounds of it my friend seems to be correct when he told me that this didn't feel like a DW game and it'd be smart to skip it.
    SFV - Balrog
    I know right?

I mean I like the new combat system............and the new take on stories of the ROTK.

Although I don't like how Chi Bi was done in this iteration.............DW8's Chi Bi remains my favorite.

-Traitor Aizen Souske

Never watched a video from this guy before, but this has solidified me wanting to skip this title. First DW game I have ever not bothered to buy...

edited February 13
    why would you post that pretentious prick's review?
    ya'll are so easy for negativity to consume.
    I don't think I agree with a single point that sterling guy made

What an ignorant, loud mouthed, a******

"herp derp, you can run straight to da boss!"

Has he never played a musou game before? Oh no, he'd rather just selectively ignore side content and rush the boss just to show what you could already do in all the other games if you chose to

What a prick, and what a glaringly bad review

From the sounds of it my friend seems to be correct when he told me that this didn't feel like a DW game and it'd be smart to skip it.

it's dumb to evaluate DW9 with the same goggles used to evaluate old school stage based DW beat em ups.

with that logic, no Castlevania fan would be a SOTN/metridvania/IGAvania fan since SOTN is clearly NOT a Castlevania game by Castlevania I, III, IV and X's standards and formula.

also despite being open world and very different from conventional CVs, Castlevania 2 is still one of the greatest Castlevanais ever created.

CV Harmony of Despair is a masterpiece too.

if ya'll dont think outsidethe box, ya'll will fail to see DW9 is in a league of its own in hybrid genre and standards.

Also a patch is coming to give better framerate setting.

those that don't "get" open world and incompatible with this new musou open world hybrid, have no business judging DW9.

Not sure if it's PC only, but someone said turning off destination guide improves framerate.

and the improved framerate patch is coming

shut the fuck up affinity.
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Negro Install
    ribu wrote: »

Never watched a video from this guy before, but this has solidified me wanting to skip this title. First DW game I have ever not bothered to buy...

Jim Sterling is one of the most notable fans of the Dynasty Warriors series.............and he's saying it's the worst DW game yet.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    edited February 13
    I can watch that dude's video with the sound off and tell the game looks like bland, janky, generic overworld BS.

Legit my favorite non FG franchise and this game should be seen as an insult to fans who have bought these game over a decade...

• DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,622
    So DW9 not too hot? I been craving a Dynasty Warriors and was gonna buy 8 on my pc months ago, but decided to hold out until 9, but if the game is jank or etc either i'll not buy it and just get 8
    Of course assfinity votes down my post because God forbid someone has a different opinion than her shilling ass. Making me wish Po could be traded for her.

P.S. I watched like an hour of gameplay of DW9 just to be sure. Yeah I'm definitely skipping it. Game is way too redundant for my liking.
    SFV - Balrog
    DrellyFish wrote: »
    So DW9 not too hot? I been craving a Dynasty Warriors and was gonna buy 8 on my pc months ago, but decided to hold out until 9, but if the game is jank or etc either i'll not buy it and just get 8

Yeah...........get 8.
    But know that the DW8CE PC has no multiplayer.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    edited February 13
    oh yea you have right to opinion, but not pushing your negative opinion as "fact" .

oh yea sure be sheep to traitorous closed minded idiots like Jim who is too old fashioned to accept new age Dynasty Warriors,
    a new hybrid DW that is not intended to be old school hack n slash stage based format.
    Legit my favorite non FG franchise and this game should be seen as an insult to fans who have bought these game over a decade...

those so called "fans" are an insult to a franchise that desperately needs change and innovation and more immersive foundation, which DW9 is doing right for the most part.

Sterling is an example of a fan that's too old school to accept anything different. they totally fail to see DW9 as a great thing.
    DW9 would have just been another FIFA if it was a DW8.3

even Zelda fans don't spit on their soup no matter how it's served and no matter how flawed and empty their latest game is.
    I'm sure much of the internet vultures are BOTW fanatics disguised as DW fans.

well its understandable to stay away from DW9 until after the patch fix they having coming.

but those not ok with DW9 style regardless of framerate, are missing out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dynastywarriors/comments/7xbcfb/this_open_world_gameplay_makes_you_feel_like/

Ah, yes. Because Jim Sterling's subjective opinion is actually secretly a fact and no one is allowed disagree with him. (sarcasm)
    I think your review was well written. Don't let these jim Sterling fans get to you. I am a fan of Jim and agree with a good amount of his statements. But this is something new KT did and I have to applaud them for actually trying. Personally, I won't be getting the game until a deep sale but unlike a lot of these comments, I won't hold my opinion of DW just cause of one single die hard fan because everybody has their own opinions.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    edited February 13
    I'm actually starting to have fun with the combat once I realized something
    the new system it's not combo based at all, it's MOBILITY based.

like that sounds simple, but with them finally adding a lockon, and Triangle being a chaser/cancel on neutral, that means I can dash around, combo one enemy officer, get him up in the air, knock him away, switch targets, and missile dive towards the next guy, break his guard, sidestep around him, slash away, finish him, then rocket towards the next. Like I'm actually having FUN now, when before I kept focusing on how there werent really different moves at all.
    That made me really enjoy the game more. At first I was iffy until I learned that triangle can be used as a cancel, and locking on dodging getting up to other enemies in the crowd.

"Neutral Triangle" is very powerful in this game. Its essential to taking on multiple officers at higher difficulties

Not perfect but not a flop either.
    The combat is fine for a game where one is supposed to be strong enough to take on a hundred or a thousand soldiers. It's not DMC but no DW game ever has been. But for me, the combat in DW9 makes the old DW system feel arbitrary, no longer having to do a specific number of light attacks to access other stronger attacks feels like something that should have always been in the series. Maybe its a bit too formulaic now, but I don't know how I would differentiate them more while keeping the same level of freedom and neither do you.

People can't seem to decide if the open world is too expansive or if it is too cluttered, while I say it is somewhere in between, a happy medium if you will. People also can't seem to decide if every character plays the same, or if they play differently enough for clones to be an issue. (If they ALL play the same, then what does it matter if a few of them are technically clones? And if the clones bother you, then you are admitting that other characters play or feel at least somewhat different from another.)

I also think that people are playing it on Easy or Normal and then b****ing that the captains and animals just stand there. I've already died a few times on Hard, once to a pack of wolves and another time when trying to fight several higher ranked captains at once.

tldr;DW9 is an ok game that does a lot of things right but has a few rough edges that don't at least for me detract too much of the fun. I don't understand the people who actively hate on this as if they are personally offended, to the point of lashing out at people whose only crime seems to be liking a game that they think is bad.

Patch for PS4 is live...........the other platforms are being looked to.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    affinity wrote: »
    oh yea you have right to opinion, but not pushing your negative opinion as "fact" .

sb9m2wp.gif

Aside from that.............the gameplay for DW9 should be running smoother

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    1.03 greatly improves framerate!! its so stable and smooth compared to how it was!!

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/14/dynasty-warriors-9s-update-ver-1-03-adds-framerate-improvement-stabilization-option/

of course it still dips when like there is literally hundreds of soldiers in view, but hey, they are pushing current gen hardware to the max with open world + graphics that more detailed and realistic than BOTW + realtime weather + realtime action + dozens to hundreds more soldiers in view than even AAA open world games have.
    Lots of more friends are getting Dynasty Warriors 9! guess the patch convinced them! It's so nice seeing the framerate performance being higher than the launch build.
    it is strange Koei left out that graphics setting from regular PS4 when the older hardware needs that setting more than PS4 Pro does. Well I guess it's just lack of experience, lack of finalized PS4 testing, and maybe too many PS4 Pros in their dev studio spoiled the team into overlooking the performance on normal PS4. cause there's no way they would approve the game's build if they saw how it performs on PS4 beforehand. perhaps they had seperate teams. or you know what, maybe their QA only tested the game on PS4 Pro and the feedback just came back positive and they assume PS4, but yea that was quite a speedbump. even though the framerate is fixed a day later, first impressions are important to the merciless critics. and it seems like there was lack of communication, cause if someone in the company said "hey, the action mode graphics framerate stabilization setting should be in regular versions of the consoles so that the framerate can better in case the default framerrate is unacceptable to the masses". they could have then ENTIRELY avoided the framerrate riots. Ah well, there are mainstream games that had rough launches too (including mmorpgs. FFXIV took like a month before the traffic was decent enough that people could actually log in and play it).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/730310/DYNASTY_WARRIORS_9/

I have never seen overwhelmingly negative on steam before...lol

I expect it to change over time once Omega Force throws them patch fixes.

Still don't understand why they would remove the Chinese dubbing from the Steam version.............even when there is a huge Chinese player base on Steam.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    wait what? they removed the Chinese dubs, which exist on the english version of PS4, from the PC version?
    that is so strange.

and the Graphics: Action setting knowledge should become common knowledge since people don't even realize that
    they are still playing in the lower performance setting (movie mode). Koei should inform the public better about the patch,
    even make a trailer about it so people know that Destination Guide set to off, and Graphics mode set to Action, can greatly improve the framerate even on regular PS4. they should make a how to guide trailer for improved framerate. and they should add the setting to Xbox One asap as well.

that would help more people have a smoother experience

More salt on the wound............

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    Holy fuck this game is unplayable on pc