THE SF4 BEGINNERS Thread! NEW? POST HERE FIRST!

Comments

• ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,399
    does anyone have tips for teching throws. i've been playing this game for a while and am no beginner, but sometimes opponents are still able to walk up to me and toss me. i may just have really poor reaction time, but this is definitely something i need to work on. any advice, suggestions, or methods for improving this would be appreciated.

Use crouch + lp + lk.

If the opponent tries to throw you it will tech, if he doesn't you will lk, which is a safe move.
    When I try to go PPP or KKK, my inputs come out immediately as PP/KK and THEN PPP/KKK.

It could be that there's something wrong with your joystick. It seems that what's happening is that 1 of the kick/punch buttons is coming out slightly slower than the other two.

You can simulate this behaviour by pressing punch and then another button almost immediately (within 3 frames, I think). The input display should show P followed by 2P.
    Is their a tutorial for combos for bare beginners? I really cant find the frames to link and do cancels. I find myself mashing the crap out of the button or input and hoping they flow to the next. I'd like to be doing this in proper timing, but yeah...i need major help.

Check the SRK wiki. You can find the relevant frame data for most of the characters here. It will also tell you which moves are comboable and which aren't.

eg.
    http://shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Ken_%28SFIV%29#Frame_Data

From the table:
    Close Jab (LP) is chain, special, and super cancellable. This means that a jab can cancel into another jab, or a special, or a super.

Crouching Roundhouse (HK) can't be cancelled into anything though.

If the frame data says a move is cancellable but you can't do it, then you just need to work on your execution. Perform the move then immediately perform the next one (don't worry about things like hit confirmation and negative edging for now). If you want to cancel a special into a super, then the first move of the special can be used as the input for the super move. eg. A hadouken into shinkuu hadouken: qcf + p xx qcf + p ("xx" means cancel).
  • rainscaperainscape Joined: Posts: 547
    i noticed in the finals that daigo really loves to use c.mk as a poke and combo into hadoken if it hits.. i've been trying to do this but it seems like a link. or is it possible to hit confirm before trying to hadoken?

As someone already pointed out, it's a cancel.

If you're having trouble with the inputs, try buffering the qcf motion as you tap c. mk. That way if the c. mk hits, all you have to do is tap a punch button to finish the hadoken input.
    ST & HDR: Boxer
    SF4: Boxer, Dictator
    SSF4: ???
  • chouchouchouchou Joined: Posts: 22
    Hey everyone. I don't know where the proper place to ask this question is so I'll take my chances. It's a pretty stupid/n00b question.

I won't be able to purchase a current gen console for a few months now (which means I won't have SFIV for myself). I recently purchased my first arcade stick for my ps2 (ironically, it was the anniversary stick, but i'm not use to it at all yet), would anyone recommend at least getting into ST a bit to prepare for when I get SFIV for myself months later?

I'm already well aware of the surficial differences (focus attacks, kara throwing from III, etc), but would it help at all with fundamentals (spacing, footsies, etc)? Or should I not bother at all and just wait? If it won't matter at all, I might buy it anyway. But I'm really wondering if it'll be relevant at all!
  • m16ghostm16ghost Joined: Posts: 1,812
    Hey everyone. I don't know where the proper place to ask this question is so I'll take my chances. It's a pretty stupid/n00b question.

I won't be able to purchase a current gen console for a few months now (which means I won't have SFIV for myself). I recently purchased my first arcade stick for my ps2 (ironically, it was the anniversary stick, but i'm not use to it at all yet), would anyone recommend at least getting into ST a bit to prepare for when I get SFIV for myself months later?

I'm already well aware of the surficial differences (focus attacks, kara throwing from III, etc), but would it help at all with fundamentals (spacing, footsies, etc)? Or should I not bother at all and just wait? If it won't matter at all, I might buy it anyway. But I'm really wondering if it'll be relevant at all!

The games are pretty similar on a casual level, since that is what Capcom was basically aiming for when they designed SF4. There are lots of things you could practice using SF2:

-Execution. The inputs for special moves are a lot more strict in SF2 than SF4. The only problem you may encounter is that the stick you bought is an American style stick, while most commercially available sticks for current gen consoles are Japanese style. In the few months that you practice though, it's not likely to make a huge difference to you.
    Also, a lot of basic combos from SF2 are usable in SF4, such as Ryu's crouching medium kick canceled into Hadouken.

-Opportunities. Some moves share similar vulnerabilities in both games. You could easily start to recognize when someone messes up and is open for punishment. This is probably the biggest thing that you can improve when you begin.

-Mindgames/mixups. It isn't likely you'll pick this up in a few months, but a lot of setups are similar between the two games such as tick throwing.

-Spacing, Footsies. Again, this isn't something you're likely to pick up in a few months, especially if you don't have anybody to play against. It will be difficult to grasp why you are staying in certain ranges because you won't understand the risk/rewards.

So yeah, you'll mostly just be able to practice execution, opportunity recognition, and get a general feel for the characters. Just keep in mind that Street Fighter is best played against other people. The AI is only difficult because it has inhuman reflexes, not because it's out-thinking you.
    The games are pretty similar on a casual level, since that is what Capcom was basically aiming for when they designed SF4. There are lots of things you could practice using SF2:

-Execution. The inputs for special moves are a lot more strict in SF2 than SF4. The only problem you may encounter is that the stick you bought is an American style stick, while most commercially available sticks for current gen consoles are Japanese style. In the few months that you practice though, it's not likely to make a huge difference to you.
    Yes, I do know this about current gen joysticks. But it was in perfect condition and only $35 so I couldn't pass it up! And I figured I'd rather have to make the transition between stick styles than a pad to stick, yeah. Maybe I can mod it a bit? Thanks for mentioning it though.
    Also, a lot of basic combos from SF2 are usable in SF4, such as Ryu's crouching medium kick canceled into Hadouken.

-Mindgames/mixups. It isn't likely you'll pick this up in a few months, but a lot of setups are similar between the two games such as tick throwing.

-Spacing, Footsies. Again, this isn't something you're likely to pick up in a few months, especially if you don't have anybody to play against. It will be difficult to grasp why you are staying in certain ranges because you won't understand the risk/rewards.

So yeah, you'll mostly just be able to practice your execution and get a general feel for the characters. Just keep in mind that Street Fighter is best played against other people. The AI is only difficult because it has inhuman reflexes, not because it's out-thinking you.
    Yeah, that's what I gathered. I'm glad it was confirmed! I know a lot more about SF on paper than I do in execution and practice. It's a really huge gap, too.

You're right, the AI in SF:AC is a bit unfair. I'll try to find online what arcades in my area have a cabinet at the very least.

Thanks a bunch!
  • coneboneconebone Shrimp Farmer Joined: Posts: 451
    what is this sfiv dash. is there a thread with more info?
    I have a n00by notation/term question. I know about the Maj link but I couldn't find it/still confused.

s.hk, c.hk, j.mk

what do the s, c, and j mean in this notation?

What does it mean to "whiff something"? Or to have something "whiffed"?
    I have a n00by notation/term question. I know about the Maj link but I couldn't find it/still confused.

s.hk, c.hk, j.mk

what do the s, c, and j mean in this notation?

What does it mean to "whiff something"? Or to have something "whiffed"?

s = standing
    c = crouching
    j = jumping
    cs = close standing

whiff means to do a move (normal/special/super/ultra) that does not connect. for example, doing a shoryuken with ryu that does not hit your opponent. or more simply, doing a crouching roundhouse with ryu that does not hit your opponent.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Um why did the thread : "Daigo: sabin #2 in us, better sim than iyo" get deleted?
    *expresses n00bne$$*
  • ewalbewalb Joined: Posts: 76
    hey everyone i use an SE stick and i main ryu, however after awhile of reading the ryu subforums i have a problem/question.

it seems many people talk about executing their moves without "riding the gate"... which i guess means touching the square gate of the stick? I find that i am unable to pull off any moves, especially a shoryuken, unless i "ride the gate" does everyone really use their stick without pushing up against the gate? I find that I push up on it often, and I am afraid that I may be causing damage to my stick since some people were saying they dont touch the gate at all

help a noob out? (:
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,834
    You can touch the Restrictor Gate no problem.
    Riding means sliding on the sides.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
  • ewalbewalb Joined: Posts: 76
    is it bad if you ride the gate then? will it seriously damage your stick//is it not efficient? I jsut cant seem to be able to pull off a dragon punch without doing so
    Don't worry about damage.

People just say not to "ride the Gate" because of exaggerated motions.
    And that is talk for Square Restrictor Gate.

Because since Square is well, a square, it is hard to do curved motions if follow the sides.
    And so not "riding the Gate" by doing small motion help in doing circular moves.

Doing a Quarter Circle or Half Circle while touching the sides of a Square is pretty weird feeling.
    Try out an Octagonal Restrictor Gate if you must.
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
  • zoltarzoltar Joined: Posts: 25
    Don't worry about damage.
    People just say not to "ride the Gate" because of exaggerated motions.
    And that is talk for Square Restrictor Gate.
    Does this advice depend on the stick? When I built my controller, I chose a Seimitsu LS-32 stick because its throw was claimed to be very short. I've tried to execute moves without touching the restrictor, but it's not easy because the margins are so small.
  • AirthrowAirthrow Joined: Posts: 4,525
    The gate/restrictor is THERE to be pressed up against, don't worry about it. You will not damage your stick in any way, nor is it somehow "sloppy form" to use the restrictor. It's what it's there for. Regardless of stick or gate type.
    RIP Group B Rallying 1982-1986
    The gate/restrictor is THERE to be pressed up against, don't worry about it. You will not damage your stick in any way, nor is it somehow "sloppy form" to use the restrictor. It's what it's there for. Regardless of stick or gate type.

:woot:
    "Shenanigans"?

I keep seeing posters use the term "shenanigans" to describe a certain type of gameplay. I am fairly new to SRK, but I've looked through this thread and searched the forum and still haven't found a description of what "shenanigans" are. I would describe myself as a mid-low level competent player, I understand most terms like tick-throw, FADC, etc. etc., but haven't heard this one used much except here on SRK. It isn't in the SF terminology page at http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfterms.html either.

Anyone mind explaining the meaning of the term "shenanigans" to me please?
  • stevestevensonstevestevenson Joined: Posts: 192
    I think shenanigans are basically like tricks or weird things you can do with your character
    when you double tap a button, is it suppose to show up as two separate inputs in training mode?
  • HFXHFX SMYA Joined: Posts: 4,751
    I keep seeing posters use the term "shenanigans" to describe a certain type of gameplay. I am fairly new to SRK, but I've looked through this thread and searched the forum and still haven't found a description of what "shenanigans" are. I would describe myself as a mid-low level competent player, I understand most terms like tick-throw, FADC, etc. etc., but haven't heard this one used much except here on SRK. It isn't in the SF terminology page at http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfterms.html either.

Anyone mind explaining the meaning of the term "shenanigans" to me please?

shenanigans = tricks/bullshit :rofl:
    Malaysian. Kuching FGC founder. Follow me on: Twitch | Twitter | Facebook
  • TwistTwist RadarTrap Joined: Posts: 698
    when you double tap a button, is it suppose to show up as two separate inputs in training mode?

Yes, otherwise there'd be no point. :)
    Hello I am obviously new here, I use to play SFIV blindly back when it first released on consoles but when I saw tournament play up close and personal it really got me into it.

I am very new to playing SF4 seriously, a friend of mine has been saying I have improved a ridiculous amount since my PSN days, I still have a lot to learn. I have been playing on the PC version a lot lately because my PS3 bricked on me a while back. I have just been grinding my way through G2. I look forward to playing a lot of you that I run into.. Well if I do run into any of you haha since it looks like mostly everyone is on 360. :wasted:
    I'm on PC. I'd be happy to play a couple matches with anyone.. my GFW tag is Hellbaby2065.
    Anyone mind sharing how to improve in this game, without the rage from losing 178 matches out of 178 matches?
  • HawkinsTHawkinsT Fail Joined: Posts: 925
    Anyone mind sharing how to improve in this game, without the rage from losing 178 matches out of 178 matches?

Play through arcade mode a few times, then try and complete it on hardest, even if it takes you a while and many continues.

Pick a character and stick with it at least until you've learnt the basics... one of the shotos (ryu, ken...) is probably easiest to start out.

After you've chosen a character try going through their normal trials in challenge mode until you can complete them all... then try to be able to do all their normal trials flawlessly. Maybe try their first hard trial if you feel up to it, or try some of the other characters normal trials. Once you have execution of basic moves down alright and can do alright against the cpu you should start doing alright online also.

Also get a stick or use keyboard if you don't already, you can't play nearly as well on a pad.
    SSFIV: Seth

SSV: Dhalsim, Peter, Urien
  • futhamuckafuthamucka Hedgehog Plucker Joined: Posts: 61
    I haven't even got a chance to explore the menus much yet. The trials are a good thing to work through then? I'll give it a go. I managed to beat Seth with Ryu but it was tough going, I'm out of SF shape, it's been a while :)
  • waowao Joined: Posts: 27
    new here. my main is gief
  • deathclowndeathclown Joined: Posts: 218
    Is there a "negative edge" in sf 4?
    Negative Edge.
    Yes, it is present in Street Fighter IV.
    Negative Edge.
    Yes, it is present in Street Fighter IV.

thanks
    im fairly new to sf4 and like every other game ive ever played im having alot of trouble picking a main. id like to know which characters dont really have any jacked matchups, disadvantages are fine like 4-6's and stuff but i dont wanna have any huge mismatches as im gonna be working pretty hard just to be able to play at a high level. i donno if that makes sense its just those matches kinda scare me. and is anyone like urien? he was the shit in third strike.
    also no console characters, you cant play them at sbo :wgrin:
    im fairly new to sf4 and like every other game ive ever played im having alot of trouble picking a main. id like to know which characters dont really have any jacked matchups, disadvantages are fine like 4-6's and stuff but i dont wanna have any huge mismatches as im gonna be working pretty hard just to be able to play at a high level. i donno if that makes sense its just those matches kinda scare me. and is anyone like urien? he was the shit in third strike.
    also no console characters, you cant play them at sbo :wgrin:

Seth is like Urien, is awesome and has no matchups worse then 4-6, and also he's awesome... but he's console only which isn't so awesome. If you want an arcade character with no bad matchups you should just be boring and go with sagat, ryu, balrog, rufus or akuma... like EVERYONE else. Akuma's by far the most interesting of the above characters imo though; lots of options with low health and stun.

Something like http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/ is a good rough guide for matchups.

umm i would like to ask how do they use the characters that are not shown in the arcade version example like akuma ?? and i would like to know what is that feature in the arcade machine that has a winning percentage and BP (is it battle points??) and also puts your name like this one on the vid!

umm i would like to ask how do they use the characters that are not shown in the arcade version example like akuma ?? and i would like to know what is that feature in the arcade machine that has a winning percentage and BP (is it battle points??) and also puts your name like this one on the vid!

Assuming the machine owner has entered the code 'CHNB9FGC', akuma can be selected by pressing up when on the top character select row, or down when on the bottom character select row.

Battle points are afaik only available in japanese arcades - you have a card you put in the machine you're playing on that records it I believe.

• f0rkf0rk Joined: Posts: 5
    Hey
    I bought sf4 about a month ago for my ps3, and having never really taking a fighting game seriously before im finding playing online quite frustrating. I havent put that much time into it and have a 10% win ratio after 70 games. For someone completly new i know thats not that bad and to be expected, but i dont really have motivation to keep playing at all, mostly because im using a standard ps3 pad and cant pull off alot of bnb stuff with balrog (my main).
    I know it will come iwth time playing on a pad, but it hurts my thumb after playing a while, so i dont like extended sessions. So to the point, is it worth buying a stick and do you think it will increase my enjoyment of the game. I do like the game but the execution side is annoying me (not being able to do what i want most of the time). None of my friends play it, so currently it would be online only (might change when i go to university in a few months, anyone in the UK play at loughborough uni?). The other problem is the cost of a good stick, i dont really want a bad one that will need replacing, and the cost of a SE + modding is the same as a TE (100), so i dont really want it to be a throw away purchase.

Just looking for any advice from people who might of been in a similar position, thanks for any answers and sorry for essay.
  • Piercing DarknessPiercing Darkness Joined: Posts: 11
    Hello all, I am a new guy hear and looking to improve on Street Fighter 4. For some reason I have hit a stumbling block and cannot seem to improve. Seems like no matter how much I try and play online the results have been ending up the same, I get beat. Alot of times I just lose it for some reason and begin to full for every trick in the book and my blocking is very back for some reason * I am using the standard ps3 controler* I shall be posting a couple of videos of my fights in a few minutes in the cammy section and any help on what I can do to impove would be wonderfull.
    Hey
    I bought sf4 about a month ago for my ps3, and having never really taking a fighting game seriously before im finding playing online quite frustrating. I havent put that much time into it and have a 10% win ratio after 70 games. For someone completly new i know thats not that bad and to be expected, but i dont really have motivation to keep playing at all, mostly because im using a standard ps3 pad and cant pull off alot of bnb stuff with balrog (my main).
    I know it will come iwth time playing on a pad, but it hurts my thumb after playing a while, so i dont like extended sessions. So to the point, is it worth buying a stick and do you think it will increase my enjoyment of the game. I do like the game but the execution side is annoying me (not being able to do what i want most of the time). None of my friends play it, so currently it would be online only (might change when i go to university in a few months, anyone in the UK play at loughborough uni?). The other problem is the cost of a good stick, i dont really want a bad one that will need replacing, and the cost of a SE + modding is the same as a TE (100), so i dont really want it to be a throw away purchase.

Just looking for any advice from people who might of been in a similar position, thanks for any answers and sorry for essay.

You definitely need a stick to play properly, I played on pad for about 150 hours before getting a stick - after a few hours to get used to it I was playing much better (after so long playing I still had problems with most of the hard character trials, within a week of getting a stick I could do about 40%), the difference is - with a pad I knew certain moves I couldn't rely on with quick reaction so wouldn't use them, I would often get the wrong move coming out and I was mashing inputs a fair amount, now I'm used to a stick I enter every move I want once and I know it will come out and I can pull off long combos online with ease.

Amazon have se's for 55 and te's for 96 atm (both really worth the money) but that probably won't last too long and I doubt you'll see them cheaper anywhere for a while - 360 te price has already gone up as they've been selling out. Cost to upgrade buttons and stick in se to same as te is 40 from gremlin (including shipping), so if you envision yourself playing this game for hundreds of hours in the future you want a te - ofcourse you could always go the 'perhaps' easier route - buy an se, then a few months down the line get a te - costs more but then you have a stick for friends also and the price is less painful the more time you've invested in the game.

If you just want to play this game a couple of hours a week, se is fine - they both work the same, you point the stick in a direction, that input is sent to the game, you press a button, that input is sent to the game... owning a te over an se won't bring any noticeable improvements to your game, maybe your execution success will increase by a percent, and the stick should last much longer (100 hours playing on se an a couple of my buttons started sticking - easily and cheaply replaceable but shows the quality difference) but it's not magic. TE with it's extra width is slightly more comfortable on your lap if you're a guy also, don't have to keep your legs quite so close together.

Another possible way of getting your win % up is try other characters (obviously not just one or two matches, but take the time to learn one that appeals to you), maybe there are others that suit your play style better (maybe not, I don't know). And don't forget to read all the stickies in your characters subforum, the advice in them will always help a lot. Also remember not to play on autopilot, always realise when you take damage and what your mistake was... then maybe you'll learn for next time :).
    Hello all, I am a new guy hear and looking to improve on Street Fighter 4. For some reason I have hit a stumbling block and cannot seem to improve. Seems like no matter how much I try and play online the results have been ending up the same, I get beat. Alot of times I just lose it for some reason and begin to full for every trick in the book and my blocking is very back for some reason * I am using the standard ps3 controler* I shall be posting a couple of videos of my fights in a few minutes in the cammy section and any help on what I can do to impove would be wonderfull.

Same to you! Advice on playing is always good, but you will improve much faster if you pick up a stick, it's the first step to getting decent!