THE SF4 BEGINNERS Thread! NEW? POST HERE FIRST!

Comments

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Hi, I'm new here. I started with SF basically when HD Remix came out at the end of last year. Since then I'm pretty much playing SF all the time.
    I still really suck, but I just can't stop :D

I'm from germany, my XBL gamertag is mnzy.
    I would really like to play some good players within a decent pingrange.
    So feel free to add me, I'm maining Bison atm.
  • Piercing DarknessPiercing Darkness Joined: Posts: 11
    Thanks for the tip HawkinsT, I have a couple vids in the Cammys what went wrong section to if you don't mind checking out. I am here to learn from the pros and learn as much as possible,
  • EPIK WINEPIK WIN Tuesday... Joined: Posts: 102
    I keep seeing posters use the term "shenanigans" to describe a certain type of gameplay. I am fairly new to SRK, but I've looked through this thread and searched the forum and still haven't found a description of what "shenanigans" are. I would describe myself as a mid-low level competent player, I understand most terms like tick-throw, FADC, etc. etc., but haven't heard this one used much except here on SRK. It isn't in the SF terminology page at http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfterms.html either.

Anyone mind explaining the meaning of the term "shenanigans" to me please?

Shenanigans is 90% of my Dictator game.

Anyways... heres a question...

Do you think it's better to play other 2D fighters like BlazBlue or whatever when you play SFIV?

I ask cause I was playing BB and neglected SFIV for a major part of the weekend. When I played again today, playing SFIV felt pretty unnatural for the first few fights.

However, on the other hand, I noticed my dashes were coming out a lot easier. Dashes are a big part of BB, and I've had a hard time executing them in SFIV. However, after playing BB this weekend, my dashes were coming off almost at will.
    SCREAM IN PAIN! NIGHTMARE.... teleport!?
    Im new to the series but i've been playing sf4 since it came out now. I wouldnt say im a beginner but I'll post in here anyways. I have a huge problem with linking. I can do it once in a while but even in training its inconsistent at best. Canceling has been cake walk for so god damn long but linking has been the bane of my existence. I main ryu and have gotton to 10k points and even within that time, i have never gotton the hold of linking. I can only link the jabs easily but once i have to do the medium punch, medium kick or heavy punch tahts where im stuck. Any tips on how to improve? I do it so many times in training mode but nothing seems to help.
  • deathclowndeathclown Joined: Posts: 218
    Assuming the machine owner has entered the code 'CHNB9FGC', akuma can be selected by pressing up when on the top character select row, or down when on the bottom character select row.

Battle points are afaik only available in japanese arcades - you have a card you put in the machine you're playing on that records it I believe.

hmm the card thing seems right since SF players there are really competitive, its like initial-D arcade lol
  • TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,180
    what's the best ch for a new sf4 player to learn the ropes on? I'm guessing ryu/ken.
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
  • HawkinsTHawkinsT Fail Joined: Posts: 925
    ryu and ken are two easy to pick up characters, yeah, and ryu is one of the best characters in the game... but the two of them also make up 50% of the online player base which is extremely boring! Just try playing through arcade mode with all the characters and pick one you like from that.
    SSFIV: Seth

SSV: Dhalsim, Peter, Urien
  • AndheAndhe Joined: Posts: 86
    I apologize if this was asked already but i have no idea what to type in the search box for this query.

i'm having a hard time linking c.lp, c.lp xx srk with ryu. do you start inputting the dp motion on the second lp, or do it ultra quickly after it's out?

i've been pressing down+lp, down+lp, letting the stick go back to neutral, then forward+QCF but it's really tiring and doesn't come out most of the time. any tips would be appreciated.
    Street Fighter IV - MegaMan X music mod
    :df::d::df::p: is an srk shortcut, so:

:df::lp::lp::d::df::p: is easiest.

What does frame trapping mean? I tried Maj's terminology page and searching, but nothing I found really explained it.
  • MiddlekickMiddlekick r.mika stalker Joined: Posts: 604
    Hello, SF4 players. I'm looking for hit-stun frame data. I would like to know how many frames the opponent is stunned for for all normal moves, including jumping attacks as well counter hits.

For example, in SFA3 the data looks like this:

light: 13 medium: 18: heavy: 22

jumping attacks (all): 13

Counter hit-

light: 18 medium: 22 heavy: N/A (causes a knock-down)

jumping attacks (all): 18

If some-one could provide this information I would be very grateful.
  • AirthrowAirthrow Joined: Posts: 4,525
    ^Every character's is different, you need to go to the character subforums on the SFIV forum and look for whatever the frame data thread for that character is.
    RIP Group B Rallying 1982-1986
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,830
    There is Frame Data for all the Characters in Shoryuken Wiki.
    http://shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Street_Fighter_IV#Characters

Go there.
    Pick Character of choice.
    Click on "Frame Data" in Menu.

Keep doing until you get all the Characters you want.
    I don't know about for Counters though.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
  • TwistTwist RadarTrap Joined: Posts: 698
    Add +1 frame advantage for a light attack counterhit. +3 for medium or heavy attacks.
  • MiddlekickMiddlekick r.mika stalker Joined: Posts: 604
    jdm714: thanks, just what I was looking for.

RadarTrap: how does that translate to frames of hit-stun?
    So, would a counter hit far standing Jab would stun for 14 frames and a counter hit far standing Fierce would stun for 24 frames?
    :df::d::df::p: is an srk shortcut, so:

:df::lp::lp::d::df::p: is easiest.

but that'd only be for SF4 right? if i wanted to develop that muscle memory for previous sf games as well, what should the inputs be?

:d::lp::dp:+:lp: xx :p: ?
    No, that would be :lp: then an :lp: shoryuken... enter the shoryuken motion after you press :lp: the second time (during the animation).

• TwistTwist RadarTrap Joined: Posts: 698
    So, would a counter hit far standing Jab would stun for 14 frames and a counter hit far standing Fierce would stun for 24 frames?

Well it's character specific, but yeah if the normal jab gives 13 frames of hitstun then a counterhit one will give 14 frames. If a normal fierce gives 21 then counterhit will give 24. :)
  • sandwichcookiesandwichcookie Unregistered User. Joined: Posts: 1,179
    How does Focus attack vs Focus attack work?

Say we both press the buttons at the same time, and hold it until level 3, who wins? Say one character gets to level 3 before the other, does the faster FA always armor break because it's a counter hit, or does it always get absorbed by the other person?

What if we're both using the same character, then does the person who started first always win, or the person who started last? What if the person who started second lets go when its only level 2?
    I hated hipsters before it was mainstream.
    A FA will absorb another FA at level 1/2, but not level 3.

This thread seems pretty awesome,

I'd like to just say hi, im new to the boards and very new to the game I've only had it two weeks, Me and my brother practice offline on a daily basis for a few hours a night, I play online in the day a little too.

I main Akuma - and I am considering making Dhalsim or Vega(claw) my secondary, I like a challenge! My brother uses Abel & Fei Long.

I'll get round to reading through this thread and skim reading to see if it touches on questions I have rather than asking them over again.

I've a few questions of my own but Im sure they've already been answered!

*Gets a mug of coffee and begins reading through the many pages in this thread O.O*.

D
  • RichboydamanRichboydaman Joined: Posts: 24
    ive been playing sf3 for a while but just started sf4 (playing bison) but i dont know how to stop srk wake ups. In sf3 u can use a meaty or parry/block but ive tried almost every move and it doesnt work so now im kinda scared to go on the offensive when i play the wake up game
  • EPIK WINEPIK WIN Tuesday... Joined: Posts: 102
    ive been playing sf3 for a while but just started sf4 (playing bison) but i dont know how to stop srk wake ups. In sf3 u can use a meaty or parry/block but ive tried almost every move and it doesnt work so now im kinda scared to go on the offensive when i play the wake up game

bait that shit out... mind games and shit... If you see a dude throwing SRKs on wakeup 90% of the damn time you know what hes gonna do... Block it and punish his ass when he lands. It will make him think twice about that shit next time.
    SCREAM IN PAIN! NIGHTMARE.... teleport!?
    bait that shit out... mind games and shit... If you see a dude throwing SRKs on wakeup 90% of the damn time you know what hes gonna do... Block it and punish his ass when he lands. It will make him think twice about that shit next time.
    in other words an SRK can't be stuffed :(
  • RichboydamanRichboydaman Joined: Posts: 24

Ur right, guess i have to work on my mind games....
  • m16ghostm16ghost Joined: Posts: 1,810
    What does frame trapping mean? I tried Maj's terminology page and searching, but nothing I found really explained it.

Frame trapping is where you intentionally leave a small enough space between your attacks so that if your opponent tries to retaliate, they will get stuffed and counterhit by your following move. It usually refers to blockstrings, but I believe it can also refer to combo resets.

The idea was more popular in older games where it was much harder to time reversal special moves. In sf4, the huge reversal window means that spd/srk mashing will completely own a frame trap
    Noob question, im a casual player and try and get a few games in after work after i put my Daughter to bed and have tea and so forth. Well ive been stuck on G3-A Rank on Championship mode for a few weeks now (using Bison of course) and i win the final matches about 3 times now but no ranking to G2-E. If their a certain or specific amount of Pts i need all in one hit?

im on about 1720 GP pts.
  • colonparenthesiscolonparenthesis No Good at Games Joined: Posts: 58
    Not much of a fighting games player, I played a lot of Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior and Street Fighter Alpha 2, Tekken 3, and a bit of Mortal Kombat but nothing serious. I've been playing SF4 since the PC version came out and plan to stick with it as long as possible. Currently maining M. Bison and minoring in Sakura/Dan and a few others.

GFWL tag: col parenthesis
  • m16ghostm16ghost Joined: Posts: 1,810
    ...but no ranking to G2-E. If their a certain or specific amount of Pts i need all in one hit?

im on about 1720 GP pts.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/aug/03/grade-point-rank-guide-street-fighter-4-championship-mode/

You need 2,000 GP to break into G2-E
  • Mr. FlowersMr. Flowers Omega Male Joined: Posts: 2,087 mod
    Hiya I'm new here. Why doesn't the BB Code in my siggy work?
    Don't nerf me!
  • jasonCjasonC Fish Bar Zombie Joined: Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Cuz it's disabled for sigs.

oh cool, well as of last night im at 1980 lol.
  • Solo StrikeSolo Strike Always learning Joined: Posts: 58
    Whats up everyone noobie here. Not new to SF4 but I suck at it. Any type of training or advice would help. I main Ryu, Ken, and Sakura.
    head over to the Character sections mate to learn the ins and outs of your favourites. Trust me become a bison player, true skill and cunning is required though...well worth it.
    Hi, im new, i like made mods for sf4, i hope upload MOD soon, Regards.
  • GuruPrimoGuruPrimo full screen spd Joined: Posts: 1,093
    I am a new poster, but longtime lurker. Love me some SRK
    "Why go through the frustration when people are just going to spam projectiles, uppercut when you jump, and block all of your attacks, but are still out of range to throw? "
  • SearrenSearren Joined: Posts: 41
    Relatively new poster but long time lurker as well. Bowed out from competitive fighting games after CvS2 died out in my area but SF4 renewed my interest.
    Hiiiiiii
    so how do i exactly use piecemontee's assets explorer? i looked on google and shoryuken search and nothing came up.
    Hi, im new, i like made mods for sf4, i hope upload MOD soon, Regards.

mods, like mugen type mods?