Saikyo-ryuu for Dummies: Dan Video Thread!

TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
I noticed we didn't have one; the Rose forum has LOADS of Rose matches ATM, but not Dan? BLASPHEMY I SAY!
Here are a few matches I managed to find, if any can find more, please do post them. Oh and sorry but I can't view YT at college >_<

(1 round only, but A MUST WATCH!)
"You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
"Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
"I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne

Comments

• TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    Alright analysis time!
    From the first Rose vs. Dan match we can conclude-
    1- Dan is not invincible to some attacks during his EX Gaduken
    2- Do not use Gaduken as anti-air, use Koryuken instead
    3- EX-Danku-kyaku is good
    4- Air Danku-kyaku is good too
    5- Gaduken seems to have some start-up lag

If anyone can point out some other stuff please do!
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • Grits'N'GravyGrits'N'Gravy I used to oicho throw people. Joined: Posts: 977
    Wow, those first 2 matches are terrible.

Do these guys even play street fighter?
    CFN: BatmanWithAGlock
    E. Honda is gone forever. 。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。
    First match seemed OK, besides the game's just out, cut them some slack. The matches at least give a few info on how Dan is in the game.
    I can post more info than those matches show, just not ATM cause wife sleeping. If you can play a Shoto you can play him better than those goofballs do. It was like just throwing out the ultra randomly. In the vs Sakura vid the guy whiffed the ultra like 3 times!!!

There are actually Japanese PSN players maining Dan in ranked matches. I'll let you know what I come up with.
    Sweet! Looking forward to the info :tup:
    Yeah I noticed how the player in the 4th match didn't bring out the Ultra at certain points.
  • rhymeswithaddyrhymeswithaddy Joined: Posts: 364
    I swear, after all the videos of seen of dan. The only times he gets knocked out of his ultra are when he gets nailed with a shoryuken, which ive only seem the cpu do to dan. And that one vs fei long match where he got hit in the head right as it started up. This ultra is on par with the shamwow.
    shamwow?
    Roses ultra. lol.
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    That third match: :wow: at EX Danku recovery.
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
    Ok guys I have been playing Dan today in friendly matches (won't let him lose another 250 ranking points!) and I can tell you a few things. Dan Kick 1 hit and EX are very much safe on block, I was fighting Ken and he just could not uppercut me or do anything that I couldn't block. 1 hit Dan kick traded on wakeup with Ken's fierce uppercut as well for beefy counter hit damage!

One guy that was playing me would actually dash up and dan kick on wakeup, maybe he knows something others don't about it's priority in stuffing Bison's reversals? He did hit me with it a couple times.

Dan's grab range is also a little bit above average, and you can tick with his jabs and shorts as with just about (every?) character.

Gadouken should almost never be used. Not even to negate fireballs as the recovery is just garbage, you're better off just jumping over them in most cases. They can get spacing on you or maybe for Sagat hit you with an EX Fireball if you're within range. (Don't KNOW about that but with how bad the recovery is, it might be possible for him to EX Shot you)

Strongest punisher I have done against whiffed uppercuts is close stand fierce ex koryuken. I am not a combo wizard by any stretch of the imagination, but for a 3 hitter it did good punish damage. As far as combos on jump ins I am not sure if the Koryuken will connect that good so I use EX Dan kick as an ending to all of those.

I also found out if you beat a guy 3 straight with Dan he'll drop. =)

Obviously Dan is better than Vega, and you guys will probably see some crazy ass Japanese playing him in a top 8 of some ranbat or another.
    Ok guys I have been playing Dan today in friendly matches (won't let him lose another 250 ranking points!) and I can tell you a few things. Dan Kick 1 hit and EX are very much safe on block, I was fighting Ken and he just could not uppercut me or do anything that I couldn't block. 1 hit Dan kick traded on wakeup with Ken's fierce uppercut as well for beefy counter hit damage!
    So proper use of the QCB+LK is good? SWEET!

Gadouken should almost never be used. Not even to negate fireballs as the recovery is just garbage, you're better off just jumping over them in most cases. They can get spacing on you or maybe for Sagat hit you with an EX Fireball if you're within range. (Don't KNOW about that but with how bad the recovery is, it might be possible for him to EX Shot you)
    I kind of felt that his Gaduken should be carefully used. In Combos maybe it can set up for a QCB+LK or surprise Ultra?
    What about EX-Gaduken, he faster recovery on it it seems.
    Strongest punisher I have done against whiffed uppercuts is close stand fierce ex koryuken. I am not a combo wizard by any stretch of the imagination, but for a 3 hitter it did good punish damage. As far as combos on jump ins I am not sure if the Koryuken will connect that good so I use EX Dan kick as an ending to all of those.
    Fair enough, St. HP-->Koryuken does seem like a nice quick punisher :tup:
    I also found out if you beat a guy 3 straight with Dan he'll drop. =)
    Do you mean that if Dan wins 3 rounds in a row, he'll drop during his victory animation in surprise that he has actually done some serious ass whuppin? SWEET!
    Obviously Dan is better than Vega, and you guys will probably see some crazy ass Japanese playing him in a top 8 of some ranbat or another.
    For a moment there I thought you meant Dictator XD. I always knew he'd be good, thanks for the info mate, wish I could rep you though :tup:
    There's a Japanese guy that is apparently in love with Dan. Soul-T or T-SOUL I forget but he plays him in ranked matches, has the fuckin Dan picture avatar, the dan picture title lol.

He might be one to watch even though I whooped him with Barlog.

Edit: You also don't need to dash to do SA xx Ultra. It doesn't matter if the opponent has almost hit the ground, all hits will connect. Since he runs at them anyway I don't think the dash is necessary. I hit it today.
  • DooplissDoopliss Joined: Posts: 3,187
    Do you mean that if Dan wins 3 rounds in a row, he'll drop during his victory animation in surprise that he has actually done some serious ass whuppin? SWEET!

I think he means that the opponent leaves the game XD
    Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

"Combo Hunter", A Street Fighter V Season 2 Combo Video
    ^lol, that is awesome XD
    I think he means that the opponent leaves the game XD

Yeah thats what I meant. There is an emoticon, after 2 games of losing to dan he changed it to the "crying" emoticon, and then I beat him again and he dropped. :rofl:

I was able to connect Dan's Ultra after blocking a Cammy Cannon Spike. Maybe the opponent just forgot to block or something, but it looks like with reversal timing you might be able to catch some things. Test it, your mileage may vary.
    So it's official then? Dan is anti-scurbs in SF4?
  • DooplissDoopliss Joined: Posts: 3,187
    Yeah thats what I meant. There is an emoticon, after 2 games of losing to dan he changed it to the "crying" emoticon

I saw this in a video, and I think it's an awesome idea. I never use my mic, because I don't want to hear scrubs whining... and I don't want better players to hear me XD So this is a simple way to show how you feel atm XD
    Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

"Combo Hunter", A Street Fighter V Season 2 Combo Video
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    so far, Dan has been no slouch online, I've won a few games, even beating a decent Sagat. I think alot of it has to deal with people not knowing what to expect out of him. I think he is alot better then in Alpha 3.

An OK Dan player, has room for improvement though he really should've used Dan's FA to absorb the projectiles, among other things.

^Japanese Dan matches!
    Dan player(s) are...well OK, they miss various opportunities and rarely used his FA. Assuming it is the same player, he kinda got better by the last match.
    Also Super did not suck in dragon kicking Abel...
  • E CE C Joined: Posts: 950
    I'd say the Dan in the second vid has some very solid fundamentals, with good use of lights and mediums and some great spacing. My only complaint was that he didn't juggle with EX moves, but that's minor.

Dan's Super has no suction effect whatsoever. It'll only combo if the opp is on the ground and close enough; if it "appears" to suck in air attacks, it's because the opp landed.
    Hmm can someone find frame data for Dan's Super?
    Surprisingly very entertaining :) I love playing Dan, if for no other reason than to have people WTF when I destroy them with him. I think he's always been highly underestimated, considering being a gag character for the majority of time.

My crappy Dan, just thought I'd add it because there aren't a huge amount of videos floating around.
  • Ramza86Ramza86 Joined: Posts: 115

My crappy Dan, just thought I'd add it because there aren't a huge amount of videos floating around.

thanks bro...any video right now is needed...I learned something against fei lol...if he does a far chicken wing...FA that shit! lol...

Bit of advice for you...throw more...you can mix up pretty well with it..cross ups..also nice jab combo for you.... cr.jab,cr.jab,cr.jab,s.lk...thats a good combo...puts them out of sweep range...allows you to do either s.Mk(my favorite attack) or cr.mk...the combo can let you mix up really well too...2 jabs and a throw... after the lk...w8 and punish or even dash up and throw again...I like that lil combo as my close up bread and butter
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/23804
    ^Begginer's Dan combo vid, some pretty basic stuff but good
  • polo208polo208 Sprankle! Joined: Posts: 20
    Awesome thread, thanks for doing this!
    Such a shame there's still so few Dan videos. Oh well here's one i'm sure you'll all love:

Such a shame there's still so few Dan videos. Oh well here's one i'm sure you'll all love:

that video...makes me sad...maybe I should make some of my own...with my shitty camera and my non HD TV....Im still pretty bad...but not that bad lol...
    that video...makes me sad...maybe I should make some of my own...with my shitty camera and my non HD TV....Im still pretty bad...but not that bad lol...

Yeah, that Ken player is absolutely terrible but it's a funny video of Dan owning. And let's face it, out of all the videos in this thread there have been maybe 2 where the Dan player was impressive.
  • toloretolore Joined: Posts: 1,700
    That dan wasn't even that goo :(, he could at least FP->HK dan kick them for his shoryuken punish.
    OK so...I just played el fuerte in a player match and recorded it with my camera...I get a disgusting black line right where the guys fight in the air field level..if anyone has any ideas..fyi the camera is a picture camera and I just did the lil movie option....

Im posting these...just because...well there isnt any dan vids...

few things before you judge lol...my first time vs an el fuerte....not too sure what was going on...but w/e...maybe itll help....

also I promise...ill play better when I put some more up lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ramza86
    The black line has to do with interlacing. I'm not a capture pro, but a google search can show how to get around that.

Nice no-frills "serious" Dan. Good use of c.lp, s.lk, s.mk string (be mindful that it can get reversed in other matchups). I'm not so sure about using c.mp as a poke; s.mp and s.mk seem better. Also not sure why you saved your ex stocks for his super.
    The black line has to do with interlacing. I'm not a capture pro, but a google search can show how to get around that.

Nice no-frills "serious" Dan. Good use of c.lp, s.lk, s.mk string (be mindful that it can get reversed in other matchups). I'm not so sure about using c.mp as a poke; s.mp and s.mk seem better. Also not sure why you saved your ex stocks for his super.

The super was prolly a mistake...being the fact that I dont like to super or ultra...I know I did one super out of desperation and it landed..the others prolly mistakes...i tend to do that....

The cr.mp is just from me playing HD remix and still not getting out of that habit...lol

I also know the string gets broken after the s.lk...im more careful against other chars

I want to use the lights less when i cross up and do more damaging combos but Im not quick enough yet at reacting if my cross up mk landed and then hitting a harder combo

Im still raw and should up my game with a bit of time...I assume it will take a bit longer for me since i never played 3rd strike
    I want to use the lights less when i cross up and do more damaging combos but Im not quick enough yet at reacting if my cross up mk landed and then hitting a harder combo

Two options:

1. j.mk -> s.mp -> c.lp xx ex danku
    - This is hit-confirmable after the s.mp. If that connects, continue on with the combo. The c.lp may have to be substituted with s.lp against some characters.

2. j.mk -> s.mp xx ex danku
    - This is also hit-confirmable but it's before the s.mp so it's a little harder. However, you don't actually have to hit-confirm this because ex danku is safe anyway. Even if it's blocked, you've got a throw attempt most of the time (can be reversed).

I assume it will take a bit longer for me since i never played 3rd strike

Shouldn't matter much; the lack of parrying alone makes this game a bit different from 3rd strike. Keep it up!
  • hWndhWnd Joined: Posts: 75
    Reposting from my borked dan vid thread; don't know how i missed this one :looney:

Dan (hWnd) vs Gouken (Sasukexx) -

-h
    HD Remix: Ken
    SFIV: Dan all day, every day
    Nice match, but I guess by now you know NOT to use his Ultra as an anti-air.
    Two options:

1. j.mk -> s.mp -> c.lp xx ex danku
    - This is hit-confirmable after the s.mp. If that connects, continue on with the combo. The c.lp may have to be substituted with s.lp against some characters.

2. j.mk -> s.mp xx ex danku
    - This is also hit-confirmable but it's before the s.mp so it's a little harder. However, you don't actually have to hit-confirm this because ex danku is safe anyway. Even if it's blocked, you've got a throw attempt most of the time (can be reversed).

Shouldn't matter much; the lack of parrying alone makes this game a bit different from 3rd strike. Keep it up!

cross-up MK, s.MP -> ex. Koryuken is the easiest thing to hit confirm off of.

How are you guys recording videos, i would love to do that, but no idea how.
    cross-up MK, s.MP -> ex. Koryuken is the easiest thing to hit confirm off of.

Is this space-dependent? I've stopped trying to hit-confirm koryu after s.mp because it's too contingent on spacing
    Pretty sure that the ex is the only koryuken that will link off of that, I know that HP wont.