Switch-less USB selector for PS3+360 "Imp": Re-Design Underway, Input appreciated.

Comments

• jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭
    Voltage on Guide does not drop when press Back + Start.

Voltage on Guide is 3.88V when Back + Start not press.
    Voltage on Guide is 3.88V when Back + Start is press.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    ·
  • Kuya_JoeKuya_Joe AKA BlindWithOneArm Joined: Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭
    I have one left from that batch I think...
    But it wasn't good enough right? Because it wasn't cleared by you lol...
    -YESMASTER...
    "She doesn't need a mouth to tell me how cute she is. "
    JDM714 epic...
    ·
  • EricSEricS Joined: Posts: 6
    Do you know when more imps will be available on your website?
    ·
  • FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you know when more imps will be available on your website?

Was wondering the same thing myself.

I have a customer who wants a multi-mod with his PS3 TE and although I can order the MC Cthulhu, RJ45 jack, RJ45 Neutrik jack and replacement screws I need to order the Imp at the same time.

-FrankCastleAZ
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Self proclaimed biggest Madcatz TE1 fanboy of all time
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Paradise Arcade Shop <-- Buy all of your arcade parts from here
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)
    ·
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭
    Hey Toodles I'm having problems wiring the USB using the IMP v2.1 with MC Cthulhu on a 360 Mad Catz TE stick. I keep getting unrecognized USB.

I was able to mod with the original IMP a few years ago without problems but the new IMP 2 has things like Guide and 1D+ 1D- 2D+ 2D- gone. I followed Bomberman's guide back then.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/eastx/arcade sticks/mccthulhuandimptotestickdiagram.jpg

What has been changed??

The way I wired the USB is:

USB Cable Green and White to IMP 2 XD+ XD-
    USB Cable Red and Black to MCC VCC and GND
    (This was from your PDF http://www.godlikecontrols.com/imp2.pdf)

-I put the Guide to MCC Home (to the right)
    -and below that behind the bubble on the bottom right is the "other Guide: which went to the IMP 1 Guide back then.
    -I connected the GND and 5V onto the MCC GND and VCC too.

what am I missing??
    Did you read the PDF on godlikecontrols.com?
    http://www.godlikecontrols.com/imp2.pdf
    From what I recall, you have to short a jumper or two on the back for that certain setup.
    ·
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    no jumpers for MC cthulhu
    ·
    take a picture of the imp wiring it will help.
    just to confirm D+ is green wire and D- is white on your set up...
    -YESMASTER...
    JDM714 epic...
    ·
  • WaiWai Join 2003 Joined: Posts: 107
    alright I'll review and make a diagram. Does anyone have a schematic involving MC Cthulhu, Imp v2 and Mad catz 360 fightstick? All I see are brawl pads nows
    My Gear:
    Universal 360 Madcatz SE Stick with MC Cthulhu Mod (x2) with RJ-45 Mod
    Diploma Electronics Engineer (2005) = Household Hacker
    ·
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,777
    Good news, Imp fabrication is done and should be shipping in the new few days, cross your fingers, Imps may be back in about 2 weeks.
    Hey Toodles I'm having problems wiring the USB using the IMP v2.1 with MC Cthulhu on a 360 Mad Catz TE stick. I keep getting unrecognized USB.

I was able to mod with the original IMP a few years ago without problems but the new IMP 2 has things like Guide and 1D+ 1D- 2D+ 2D- gone. I followed Bomberman's guide back then.

What has been changed??

The way I wired the USB is:

USB Cable Green and White to IMP 2 XD+ XD-
    USB Cable Red and Black to MCC VCC and GND
    (This was from your PDF http://www.godlikecontrols.com/imp2.pdf)

-I put the Guide to MCC Home (to the right)
    -and below that behind the bubble on the bottom right is the "other Guide: which went to the IMP 1 Guide back then.
    -I connected the GND and 5V onto the MCC GND and VCC too.

what am I missing??
    Forget about the Bomberman guide and work on what you have and what you need. The Imp PDF should detail exactly everything that connect connects to the Imp, just make sure you follow the MC Cthulhu column on the second page. If you're having trouble from there, describe what the problem is in as much detail as possible, along with a whole crap ton of detailed pictures so we can get a good idea of what is wired where. Once we know exactly what you've done, it should be easy to tell you what needs to be done.
    ·
    That doesn't look anything like what the PDF says to do. Instead of finding other pictures, you should take some of your own.
    ·
    Do you have anything connected to the Outgoing USB of Imp v2?
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    ·
    I followed your Imp v2 PDF. I just don't understand the USB cable setup from the madcatz stick. This is what I have though.

You hooked up the D+ and D- from the Madcatz PCB to the MC Cthulhu. That is wrong.

D+ and D- on the Madcatz PCB is supposed to go to XD+ and XD- on the imp.

The USB out cable going to the System is supposed to go to the imp, on the lower left hand corner. 4 wires to Wht, Grn, Blk, Red.

Solder a wire from "G" on imp and connect it to a ground on the MC Cthulhu.

If you look at the chart on the second page of the PDF and hook everything up like the "MC Cthulhu Setup" describes, then it should work fine.
    ·
    If you mean on the bottom left Corner, I have nothing there. What should be going there?

The USB cable should go there.
    Are you reading the PDF Instructions?
    ·
    Instead of the Fightpad PCB pictured Substitute the arcade stick PCB you have.. You do not need the USB port or RJ-45 jack pictured on the imp V2. Just solder the USB out wire on the upper right hand corner of the imp in this picture.
    MCCthulhuImpv2360rj45diagram.jpg

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/rj-45-mc-cthulhu-imp-xbox-360-dual-mod-tutorial-diagram.94875/
    ·
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭
    This is what I've gotten so far. The USB lights up the 360 Home button but thats it. It still doesn't work. Does it matter if VCC on the IMP goes to V or VCC on MCC (i've tried both)? What else is missing?

Dude, you have not connected the d+ & d- to the IMPv2. You have also not connected the RJ45-VCOL to a VCC point.

If not yet done so then you will also need to update the MC Cthulhu firmware to the latest version to enable IMPv2 support.

Are you sure you're reading the IMPv2 documentation? Your posts imply differently.
    ·
    Dude, you have not connected the d+ & d- to the IMPv2. You have also not connected the RJ45-VCOL to a VCC point.

If not yet done so then you will also need to update the MC Cthulhu firmware to the latest version to enable IMPv2 support.

Are you sure you're reading the IMPv2 documentation? Your posts imply differently.

Wait, do you mean D+ and D- at where the USB cables go on the left of the post? I put that directly to the USB cable that goes to the console

I can connect the RJ-45 VCC no problem.

And yes the MCC is updated to the latest.
    My Gear:
    ·
    Wait, do you mean D+ and D- at where the USB cables go on the left of the post? I put that directly to the USB cable that goes to the console

All you need to do is follow the instructions provided in the IMPv2 document. It is not hard. I'm starting to feel that you are simply wasting everyone's time here by not doing so.

The MCC d+ & d- points need to be connected to the D & E points on the IMPv2. Not to the USB cable.

If in doubt then wire the entire first row of MCC points to the IMPv2 (G A B C D E F V). As it says. In the instructions.
    ·
    All you need to do is follow the instructions provided in the IMPv2 document. It is not hard. I'm starting to feel that you are simply wasting everyone's time here by not doing so.

The MCC d+ & d- minus points need to be connected to the D & E points on the IMPv2. Not to the USB cable.

If in doubt then wire the entire first row of MCC points to the IMPv2 (G A B C D E F V). As it says. In the instructions.

The instructions doesn't say anything about MCC D+ & D- going to the imp.

The Instructions does say
    "If you are installing an Imp into a production arcade stick that already includes a built in USB cable, there are four holes labeled D-,
    D+, G, and V in the USB jack area, along with the colors of these wires in a standard USB cable. You can
    solder the end wires of your dedicated USB cable directly to these four holes.

The instructions at the bottom has a chart that says to put the 360 USB Green and White Cable to XD+ and XD- , Red and Black to VCC and GND on MCC.
    But RTZdzign advised me to wire it like the picture I have above.

The RJ-45 was optional from my understanding which is why I wasn't focusing on connecting them since I didn't think it had anything to do with the USB.

Sorry if it feels like I'm wasting everyones time with posts but I am reading the instructions.
    My Gear:
    ·
    The instructions doesn't say anything about MCC D+ & D- going to the imp.

The instructions clearly say to wire points G A B C D E F V from the MCC to the IMPv2. This covers the MCC's D+ & D- points by default.

You have chosen not to do this for whatever reason. By not doing so you are not following the instructions, which is why you had also not connected the RJ45 VCOL.

Now try again and see if it works this time.
    ·
    Just connect the V-G between the Imp and the MC Cthulhu. Don't forget the "RJ-45 VCol" that goes to the extra row.

The picture I posted shows what it looks like if you use the "MC Cthulhu chart". The first column.

The RJ-45 jack itself was optional. Those solder points between v-g are not.
    ·
  • xpulsexpulse Ice Ice Baby... Joined: Posts: 352 ✭✭
    But RTZdzign advised me to wire it like the picture I have above.

Look again, REALLY carefully look again. Do EXACTLY what is in that picture he showed you. Ignore the USB and RJ45 jacks in his picture (since it sounds like you already have the USB wire soldered in). Your XD +/- is fine. Ignore the four USB points on the MCC. Change out YOUR MCC Ground to IMP 'G' point, and follow the directions of wiring up G-V from MCC to IMP. On a 2nd row on the MCC G-V points, take the 'V' point and wire that to the 'RJ45-VCOL' on the IMP. Look VERY CAREFULLY at rtdzign's example. Seriously, do not reinvent the wheel with this.
    "Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning?"
    ·
  • Jelloman581Jelloman581 Joined: Posts: 87
    Is there an updated link for the troubleshooting post? I'm having the same issue as post #443 (overheated the D- solder pad and Xbox360 is not working), but the troubleshooting link doesn't seem to work for me. Thanks.
    ·
    Excellent, thank you much! Maybe I can stop bothering Jamespoop now! :D
    ·
    Laugh.
    Yes, he told me you had some problems need fixing.
    ·
    MCCthulhu_Impv2_TE.png
    ·
    Thanks for the pic, it's in my reference library now! I opted to run the connections from the terminal strip instead of the MadCatz TE PCB, as I just didn't trust my soldering skills for that small a point. For the joystick, I just spliced a wire for each line on the JLF cable. It's not pretty, but it's doable and it worked for the ChimpSMD mods I did on my own stuff.

As of last night, I had the MCC working through the Imp via RJ45 and was able to use it on a PS3 and a PC, but X360 wasn't kicking in; the guide light would flash briefly when plugged in and nothing else. I figured, with James' assist, that D+ and D- were bad joints, despite reading continuity between the MadCatz PCB and Imp D+ and D- connections.

Tried to clean it up today and it seems my bad luck with Imps continues; I messed it up trying to redo my D+ and D- connections (I messed one up last year that James' had to clean up after me). I already had lost the D+ solder pad on the Imp, but when removing the wire, a thin film of plastic going from D+ to pin #3 on the 4066 came up. I assume this is A Bad Thing. I am taking to an electronics shop tomorrow to see how bad it is. I'll likely just have to wait for Imps to come back in stock. I'm going to test the Madcatz PCB and make sure that works still tomorrow.

All this for a 4 button shmup stick.... /sigh.

Now I know why I pay James to dual-mod for me! I should just leave this to the pros. At least the scan line generator works that I assembled! :D
    ·
    Imps arrived yesterday and are testing out great. I'm going to turn them back on the website. I can get small numbers of them out, but if you need a large batch, it probably wont ship out until Tuesday or Wednesday after the monkey can go all packing crazy on them.
    ·
    Good timing :)
    ·
  • |Galen||Galen| In iWS1 I trust! Joined: Posts: 230
    Hmmm... are the new multi-console boards going to be switchless now???
    ·
    Hmmm... are the new multi-console boards going to be switchless now???

What are you talking about?

There are no new switchless multi-console boards, unless you are referring to the Kitty or PS360+. But then you have completely the wrong thread.
    ·
  • |Galen||Galen| In iWS1 I trust! Joined: Posts: 230
    What are you talking about?

There are no new switchless multi-console boards, unless you are referring to the Kitty or PS360+. But then you have completely the wrong thread.

:( Bummer. I guess I misinterpreted the thread title. He's talking about there not being a physical switch instead of a button that you hold while plugging in the stick. Sorry about the confusion.
    ·
    :( Bummer. I guess I misinterpreted the thread title. He's talking about there not being a physical switch instead of a button that you hold while plugging in the stick. Sorry about the confusion.

The Multi-Console Cthulhu is Automatic Detection of all the Console it supports.
    And if you add Imp v2 and Xbox 360 to Multi-Console Cthulhu, you get Automatic Detection for Xbox 360 also.
    ·
    Bummer. I guess I misinterpreted the thread title. He's talking about there not being a physical switch instead of a button that you hold while plugging in the stick. Sorry about the confusion.

If you connect a MC Cthulhu to an IMPv2 then it will auto-detect with no switch or button needed. An MC Cthulhu cannot do this on its own with a 360 pcb dual modded to it.
    ·
  • ExtremeYoshiFanExtremeYoshiFan Joined: Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭
    Toodles, I got my imp 2.1 today. I have to say your service is amazing. Ordered it on Sunday, and now it's in my hand on Thursday. I've had the PDF printed out for a few days now as I was planning everything, but the inclusion of the URL for the instructions is very considerate.

I also noticed the text saying "in hoc signo vinces" which is certainly an excellent touch. If it works as well as it looks(and I know it will), you can look forward to seeing me as a return customer whenever my brother decides to mod his stick.
    ·
    I was on holiday over the weekend. Any other weekend if you would have gotten in on Wednesday :)
    ·
  • CastigationCastigation S-Rank, Baby! Joined: Posts: 125
    I'm having a weird issue with a v1 Imp and PCBs from a R1 PS3 TE and a Xbox 360 TE-S.
    My friend owns both of these sticks and since me managed to trash both of the cases by rage/accident, depending on who you ask. I decided I could probably salvage them and make one dual-modded frankenstien TE.
    I've hooked the PCBs up to a v1 Imp. 360 Stick to the D1 and PS3 to D2. Using S+S for Guide. Connecting it to the Xbox it detects fine.
    Connecting it to my PC it detects both in 360 and PS3 mode. But when I connect it to my PS3 holding the S+S it doesn't detect.

The only thing I've managed to come up with so far is the KGND line that's present on the TS-S PCB, connected to the Start and Back buttons. Though I'm not quite sure how that works and I'm not sure that would explain why it works on the PC.

Any suggestions?
    ·
  • PsychaberrationPsychaberration Joined: Posts: 7
    Hey Toodles, I've got a very peculiar problem regarding the SSG setup in my HRAP3 when I added a brawl pad. I followed the instructions to a T (save for me switching all four USB solder points for PS3 and 360 on the imp, because of an early mistake I decided to just run with), and with everything but the guide button from the pad connected, I tested the stick out on both 360 and ps3 and all the buttons and stick directions worked perfectly. Now, the reason I didn't immediately connect the guide button is because I fucked up bad and basically stripped the entire contact point for it. Then I got some advice here to dig down to the via associated with the button and solder it to that, and that actually worked perfectly.

But once I tried to test the S+S functionality, I found 2 things:
    1: the guide was brought up by only pressing start and
    2: when pressing start, whatever was onscreen would react to my pressing start before pulling up the guide, which to me didn't seem all that surprising, BUT when I pressed either start or B to back out of the guide, the onscreen game/whatever would behave as though I pressed B as soon as the guide disappeared, backing out of whatever menu I was in or what have you.

The part about the doubling of the "B" input is the strangest thing to me (or in the case of the start button to exit the guide, a random "B" input coming out of nowhere) since there's really no way for those 2 inputs to get crossed, as far as I could tell. I have exhaustively checked for any crossed wires and did a bit of removing different factors to try to weed it out, since this is my first real work with any sort of circuit boards those are pretty much the only diagnostic skills I have immediately on hand, and I found that the guide exit "B" input doubling would happen even if I accessed the guide overlay from my dashboard somewhere without ever using start to get into it (friends section or marketplace etc.).

Have you heard of this sort of problem before?
    Would the fact that I left the home functionality on the PS3 on the dedicated button, and went with SSG for the 360 be the issue?

Thanks for your help, man
    ·
    haha I know what you did... I'll put it in your other thread... this isnt a problem with the imp
    -YESMASTER...
    JDM714 epic...
    ·
  • sabrewulfsabrewulf gg Joined: Posts: 19
    So, i got an impv2 and i already have a mcc but my stick doesnt have a home button and im not so sure about drilling a hole. This means i dont get auto-detection?
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
    ·
    auto detection works regardless of the home button or not. you can use home by pressing start and select
    wait... you didn't say anything about a 360 controller/pad in conjunction with the mcc
    ·
    i got a sfxt madcatz pad pcb wich im pairing with my actual mcc.
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
    ·
    Autodetect and S+S=G works an MC Cthulhu and Impv2; just do NOT short the 'DISABLE_HOME' jumper on the MC Cthulhu, and upgrade the firmware.
    ·
    thank you very much!
    ·
  • MyNameIsEMyNameIsE Just call me E Joined: Posts: 130
    Can the Imp V2 be used if there are 3 PCBs? Cause I have a madcatz PS3 brawlstick PCB, an Xbox one and a TVC one. I'm reading over the pdf and it doesn't mention anything about if there is a third pcb. Do I connect the ground and VCC of the Wii TVC only to 1 of the other PCBs?
    ·
    yes you connect all of the signals together except you will have to run the wii cable out separately from the usb or ethernet or whatever you're using from the impv2
    ·
  • birds!birds! golly plum luck Joined: Posts: 223
    Having a small problem with the impV2.
    Recently installed it on a custom build I'd been working on in pieces.
    Started as just moving parts from one stick over to a new case. Ended up swapping out the pcb for a madcatz fightpad hack. Recently I purchased a Cthulhu+ and then an ImpV2 and installed those into the stick. Shorted the jumpers as instructed and everything worked correctly. I could plug it into the PC and it would be seen as a PC/PS3 cthulhu+ and when I plugged it into a 360 and powered it on the stick engaged properly and grabbed a controller slot.

But then it stopped working. Just at random one day I plug it in and turn it on and it doesn't do anything... or doesn't seem to. So then I flip it over turn the system off and then turn it back on again and watch the PCB lights. They all flash for a moment like it always does when it first starts up then they just stop and don't go to the next phase where they go solid and then only the assigned slot light remains lit. So I try unplugging and plugging it in with the system on and it still does nothing. So then I try holding the home button while repeating the process and still nothing changes. So then I use the "bypass" function of holding 1k, 2p, 3k and it engages properly. It assigns itself to slot 1. Hurray. I play some game.

I can repeat this over and over again and it works every time. No matter what combination I use to try and flip it to a certain mode with the "hold home" button trick, it never seems to actually work until I do the "bypass" One day I swear even that wouldn't work and I thought the stick was totally dead... But then the next time I tried it worked fine so that could have just been a fluke. I superficially checked the solder joints and wires and nothing seem visibly wrong. Nothing was changed or added to the stick between it working and not. I haven't gone more in depth and done any probing but I'm not sure what kind of numbers I'd be looking for anyway.

So in summary the stick works fine actually. It's just I have to use the bypass every time I want it to read... and then one time perhaps it didn't work at all... So I'm looking to eventually correct the issue or at least understand what is causing it if it's not something that can be easily fixed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
    Weekly fight nights 6pm on Sundays @ Hammer Hall (3325-12 Plymouth St in Riverside)
    http://www.facebook.com/athammerhall
    Jacksonville Fighting Game Scene
    People / Meetup Locations / Results. Add your info in the link
    ·
    There's one part Im not entirely certain of at the moment that you should check before going any further; whether or the guide LEDs you were watching react the same when plugged into a PC or PS3. Im expecting they dont, and the rest of this assumes that.
    If the guide LEDs arent flashing in the same way when you first connect the stick to a PS3/PC, that would mean the guide LEDs are only flashing when connected to a 360, which is how it should be. That means that the Cthulhu+ is detecting the 360 console properly, handing over control, and the 360 pad is dropping the ball. Since the button combo to force 360 mode works, I've usually been referring to that as a timing issue. The forced 360 mode is very fast, while the detection takes a little time, and for whatever reason, the pads doesn't care for that timing. Havent it work great and then later start having a timing issue has happened before, but I seriously have no idea why it might do that, and I've never been able to get my hands on one behaving that way to study.

The PC/PS3 Cthulhu+ doesn't have an upgradable firmware; the ones that do (MC Cthulhu, Kitty, and ChimpSMD) I could tweak the timings to see if it could help, but that isn't an option here. The best I could suggest would be to limit the difficulty switching consoles, and that would be to change the Impv2 setup to the Basic configuration instead of the Cthulhu+ configuration. You'd have one button to hold on plugin to switch consoles, and the timing issue wouldnt be a problem.

Another option would be to get an MC Cthulhu Upgrade chip from me (URL in sig) and replacing the chip in the Cthulhu with it and upgrading the firmware to the most recent firmware. If the timing issue was still present, I could work to get you firmware revisions with different timings to bring back the autodetect, or a custom firmware for a single button 'force 360 mode'. There would be a little bit of wiring change needed between the MC Cthulhu and Imp.
    ·
  • birds!birds! golly plum luck Joined: Posts: 223
    When I plug it into a PC all four lights flash once, then it's fine and functioning as a PC/PS3+ in the system controllers and any programs. Don't have a PS3 to test (well not a working one) but I assume it would react the same. So I think it's the scenario you described with the pad not liking the timing.

Honestly I was interested in upgrading to an MC eventually anyway, so I think I'll go with the upgrade option. Yeah I just went ahead and ordered a kit. Looks like I need to install the chip and solder/de-solder things to other things. Sounds like fun!

Thanks Toodles.
    Weekly fight nights 6pm on Sundays @ Hammer Hall (3325-12 Plymouth St in Riverside)
    http://www.facebook.com/athammerhall
    Jacksonville Fighting Game Scene
    People / Meetup Locations / Results. Add your info in the link
    ·
    If your Cthulhu is a v1.4, and it likely is, (revision on the bottom of the board), you dont have to solder anything, just pop the old chip out and pop in the new one.
    ·