Switch-less USB selector for PS3+360 "Imp": Re-Design Underway, Input appreciated.

Comments

• birds!birds! golly plum luck Joined: Posts: 223
    awwwww... but I wanted to solder.... :p Nah that's awesome man, even easier. Yes it is a v1.4.

I guess next time I should just go with the Chimp though and save myself alot of extra steps but it was fun to learn it this way from the base up for my first dual mod.
    Weekly fight nights 6pm on Sundays @ Hammer Hall (3325-12 Plymouth St in Riverside)
    http://www.facebook.com/athammerhall
    Jacksonville Fighting Game Scene
    People / Meetup Locations / Results. Add your info in the link
    ·
  • birds!birds! golly plum luck Joined: Posts: 223
    Popped out the old IC, dropped in the MC chip. Updated it to the latest firmware. Removed the solder bridges on the ImpV2 and it works like a charm so far. Thanks Toodles! I'll let you know if it gets all finicky again but for now it seems solid. Gotta find a PS3 to test it on. Went bad on me during a tournament last time. That was a pain. Don't want a repeat.

edit: Just curious. Can't tell if I'm imagining it or not... not that it matters... but does the MC add a slight extra bit of delay to inputs because of extra processing or something? It seems a hair slower to respond than the PC/PS3+ was.... It's not enough to matter but I was dropping some of the more difficult links in 3s and VS last night. Whereas the night before I wasn't at all. The only change to the setup was swapping the chip out. I'm not complaining just curious for the purpose of future builds. Something I never considered.
    Weekly fight nights 6pm on Sundays @ Hammer Hall (3325-12 Plymouth St in Riverside)
    http://www.facebook.com/athammerhall
    Jacksonville Fighting Game Scene
    People / Meetup Locations / Results. Add your info in the link
    ·
  • sabrewulfsabrewulf gg Joined: Posts: 19
    Autodetect and S+S=G works an MC Cthulhu and Impv2; just do NOT short the 'DISABLE_HOME' jumper on the MC Cthulhu, and upgrade the firmware.

Hey i did it, and it worked out but oddly it just works on 360. Select and Start works on both systems but Guide/Home just works on 360, any tips?
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
    ·
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,777
    One of these days you'll learn that posting up more than a single sentence at a time isn't very helpful for either of us. Go check out the Cthulhu thread, something similar was just discussed.
    ·
  • sabrewulfsabrewulf gg Joined: Posts: 19
    Yes sorry my bad. But to be honest i was hoping for someone to say something very obvious that i missed. Well very helpful your answer here, and in the other guy post so ill follow that lead.
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
    ·
  • Song_of_StormsSong_of_Storms Joined: Posts: 23
    Hey, sorry if this is(are) a dumb question(s), but I've got a MC Cthulhu and Imp v2.1 I want to install in a custom stick I built. I have some neutriCONs (8 pin neutrik circular connector for anyone who doesn't buy strange connectors on whims like I do) and the appropriate jack and I'm wondering if I can solder wires between the jack to the 8 RJ45 points on the imp and use the circular connectors in place of the rj45 jack. I have the rj45 cable and imp pinouts thanks to rtdzign's fantastic imp/mcc tutorial, so making cables and the soldering isn't an issue. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something since I know very little about rj45 jacks. If I can use the other connectors, I am assuming I'll need to connect the rj45 vcol on the imp normally since I am using the same points, correct? Sorry again if I'm being dumb, but I really appreciate any help you guys can give.
    ·
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭
    That is correct.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    ·
  • Song_of_StormsSong_of_Storms Joined: Posts: 23
    Thank you JDM714 :D!
    ·
  • manoftheleafmanoftheleaf Tech Hit Tournament Series! Joined: Posts: 544
    I having some trouble trying to fix a dual mod, MC+Madcatz 07 pad+Imp v2. The PS3 side is all gravy. The 360 side is giving me

Home only engages once. The setup has a undedicated home button. Upon holding start+back it prompts me to the home menu. I press them down again to exit and pressing/holding them down after that does nothing.

I had to travel to a place to test out the 360 side because I no longer own a 360. Is there a way to manually tell the imp to switch boards? Holding down Start or Select selects the MC Cthulu and holding down Start+Back gives me the Cthulu bootloader.

Thanks for any and all help. I appreciate it.
    No my tag is not a NARUTO reference! Its my last name translated from Hawaiian to English!
    ·
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭
    LK+MP+HK should force 360 mode, shows up as madcatz fightpad in joystick applet in windows
    ·
  • manoftheleafmanoftheleaf Tech Hit Tournament Series! Joined: Posts: 544
    LK+MP+HK should force 360 mode, shows up as madcatz fightpad in joystick applet in windows
    Thank you very much, Vicko.
    No my tag is not a NARUTO reference! Its my last name translated from Hawaiian to English!
    ·
  • Boita-cartonBoita-carton Joined: Posts: 285
    Noob at soldering here, I'm having an issue. So, I've finally soldered my PS3 TE + a xbox brawlpad on the imp v2 and it works fine on both consoles.

But I forgot to solder the wire coming from the xbox pad guide. It's already soldered on the pad, I just need to solder it the other side. I'm not sure if I have to solder it to the imp v2 or under the ps3 turbo panel, on the home point. So I tried to test both by holding the wire into the point and pressing the guide/home button. With no succes, then I tested my xbox pad guide wire with a multimeter and the ground, and I have signal. But still, holding the guide and ground wires together doesn't activate the guide button.

So I'm confused, did I do something wrong or is it not possible to use the guide ?

Oh and another noob question, I will put a SOCD cleaning kit after this, is there nothing to worry about such as not having enough power ?
    PSN: Boitacarton/SpiderQueenLolth
    GFWL: SpiderQueenLoth
    Steam: sadhusatana
    Juri PC steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/teamjuriPC/
    ·
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,777
    Noob at soldering here, I'm having an issue. So, I've finally soldered my PS3 TE + a xbox brawlpad on the imp v2 and it works fine on both consoles.

But I forgot to solder the wire coming from the xbox pad guide. It's already soldered on the pad, I just need to solder it the other side. I'm not sure if I have to solder it to the imp v2 or under the ps3 turbo panel, on the home point. So I tried to test both by holding the wire into the point and pressing the guide/home button. With no succes, then I tested my xbox pad guide wire with a multimeter and the ground, and I have signal. But still, holding the guide and ground wires together doesn't activate the guide button.

1. So I'm confused, did I do something wrong or is it not possible to use the guide ?

2. Oh and another noob question, I will put a SOCD cleaning kit after this, is there nothing to worry about such as not having enough power ?
    1. Frankly, Im leaning towards did something wrong. Did you use the Basic Setup or Basic SSG Setup from the Imp welcome sheet? Describe how you have the Home signal from the PS3 TE connected to the Imp, what you're pressing to change between PS3 and 360 modes, and possibly a picture of where on the 360 pad you connected the wire for the Guide signal, and any other photos of the wiring you may have and we'll take a peek.
    2. SOCD cleaner uses a stupidly small amount of current, hundreds or thousands of times less than a single LED. If it works without an SOCD cleaner, there is no way adding the SOCD cleaner would suddenly cause it to bjork unless it was installed improperly. Since you appear to have 99% of the Imp done, you should be able to handle an SOCD cleaner install easy.
    ·
    It's the Basic Setup. I hold the Home button to switch between the 2 consoles. I can enter the PS3 Home menu without problem.
    I've soldered a wire on the Home point behind the turbo panel of the PS3 TE pcb. The other end of the wire goes into the F point of the Imp.

The Guide wire is soldered on the half circle tab of the xbox pad. I've succesfully tested it before installing the imp. Ever since I've cut the USB wire and soldered it on the Imp, connecting the Guide wire and the ground together from the xbox pad doesn't activate it. I thought my solder on the Guide wire moved but the multimeter says it's good, unless I don't use it correctly. by measuring the resistance difference between the Guide wire and a Ground wire.

I will see if I can take shots this evening

Thanks for you help !
    ·
    Personally, i go:
    PS3 TE home -> F -> xbox guide, i connect the 2 directly at the F point
    hasn't been an issue for me ever
    ·
  • biluzinbiluzin Joined: Posts: 2
    Could someone tell me if this is correct diagram that done? I need to weld the home of the guide fightpad v3? In the pcb fightpad the x360 is only needed only one gnd?

diagramab.jpg
    ·
    I've solved my problem ! It was the user being dumb :oops: . All that time I was using the Windows controller inputs to test the Guide button. But there is no Guide shown in that window. So I assumed it didn't work since pressing it didn't show anything, while ingame the button works without problem.

Sorry for screaming for help

Meanwhile I soldered the SOCD chip and it works like a charm. All that remains is permanantly solder the xbox pad wires and I'm done.
    My first mod and it was fun and interesting.
    Could someone tell me if this is correct diagram that done? I need to weld the home of the guide fightpad v3? In the pcb fightpad the x360 is only needed only one gnd?
    What I did was solder a wire between the Home on the ps3 and the F point on the Imp. And a wire between the Guide on the Xbox pad and the F point on the Imp. But you will need to receive the signal from the button, I don't know what is your the pcb on the left. You probably need a wire coming from the F on the Imp, going to the Guide/Home button. Unless you already have wires for buttons ready, coming from that ps3 pcb.
    ·
  • TigerishTigerish ishishishishish Joined: Posts: 144
    I didn't read through the whole thread, but I just want to clarify before ordering one of these.

If I'm using a 360 pad to dual mod a ps3 TE, I can attach the 360 usb to this, and be able to use the ps3's usb on the 360, or do I attach both the ps3 and 360 wires to this, and then a third out?
    ·
  • PaperTigrePaperTigre すごい!!!!! Joined: Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    you will need to get the data from the ps3 pcb to the imp somehow. You can re-use the ps3 cable on this, but youre still going to need to get the data between the two.
    ·
    I assumed I'd be soldering the ps3 board to the lettered spots, but at second glance I suppose not? How would I go about doing that? My goal, obviously, is to dual mod this PS3 TE with a 360 pad since I already have the pad, while being able to just use the ps3's usb cord on both a ps3 and 360. This way I can avoid modifying the case in any way.
    ·
    Not to be a dick, but it's fairly cleanly laid out in the PDF, under "Basic Setup".
    360 Data +/- wires will go to XD+/-, Ps3 Data +/- go to Imp D/E. Voltage to VCC, etc etc. USB outbound from the Imp, Guide/Home will be held down while plugging the stick in to switch consoles. Just follow the Basic column in the PDF.
    ·
    I didn't realize the PDF had a second page. Thanks though.
    ·
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 582
    hi guys! i have a reaally straange probleem :/

i'm dualmodding a PS3 Hori SCV, the impV2 setup is to short SJA and SJC (the pdf said so)..

the thing is that when i solder the usb lines directly to the usb outputs of the ps3 pcb it works, but when i solder the usb lines to the imp and then use the imp output it doesn't work...

suggestions? :/ (defective imp?!?!)

also, the ps3 hori scv shows as a generic hub and then the RAP controller :P
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
    ·
    sorry for the double post, i'm not at home now, but can i use the usb line for the hub (the keyboard and the headphones usb input) for the dualmod?
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

·
    try a new USB cable
    ·
    try a new USB cable
    it's not the usb cable, cause the xb360 pcb works with the imp :(
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

·
    it's not the usb cable, cause the xb360 pcb works with the imp :(
    I had the same thing happen; the usb works with one system or the other, never both. Try a new cable.
    ·
    also, hori cables aren't the best for dual mods
    ·
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭✭
    also, hori cables aren't the best for dual mods

Hori USB cables are abysmal. Even with their premium VLX sticks.

Whenever I'm given a Hori stick to mod, the USB cable is the first thing to be replaced.
    ·
    i'll try tonight with another USB Cable, if your thought is right, i'll be very very angry :( i wasted a lot of time re-doing my wiring lol
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

·
    i'm so full of mindfucks.. it was the usb cable :(!!1 (don't understand anything)

now i soldered a white "cheap" usb2.0 cable i had and no problems :/
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

·
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Scurred of LimeGreenPenis in my stocking. Joined: Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Marcus,

Have an Imp 1.1 here hooked up to a MC Cthulhu in the first slot and a Madcatz TE 360 PCB hooked up in the second. Everything but D+ and D- runs from the MC to a Din-8.

When I plug the USB cable into the Din-8 plug, neither board is recognized by anything, that means a 360, PS3, PC, your cat, anything.

This is also, FWIW, the Saulabi I have that I bought the SunGa board for before we all found out it's not entirely CG. To backtrack, my stick started randomly disconnecting in May 2011, then crapped out I think the day before I went to Seoul. I wasn't taking it with me so I didn't bother with it until August when I got back to the States, thinking it was 360 board doing it, but saw some wires disconnected from their soldering points. When I reconnected them, it was doing this also, but I never bothered to try the MC for whatever reason, just assumed my 360 board died.

So in July of this year, after the failed SunGa attempt, I tried again by rewiring a USB cable to the 360 board and it connected to my 360. So I figured there was some wiring problem that I couldn't see in my rat's nest TSA security breach wiring, and took it with me to the states to rewire completely. And the thing still doesn't detect on anything.

So tonight, knowing the 360 board is good on its own, I finally found my USB A->B cable and tried it on the MC, and it detects. So I've isolated the problem to the Imp.

I'm uploading pictures of my wiring. As you can see, only D+ and D- runs from the Imp to the Din, as this was what someone advised me to do on a MC setup, and it worked. But of course, the golden rules have been followed. You grilled those into my head successfully, I chant them in my sleep. Hopefully you can find something I missed, or tell me anything that might cause this problem that doesn't involve sending you an Imp from China.

The one wire that's off on the Imp popped off when I went to grab it to take pictures.

5u6u7eqe.jpg

my2enaja.jpg

ejyqe3a5.jpg

7usudyse.jpg

Sent to the Internet with Smoke Signaltalk. Buy your matches and blanket in the Trading Outlet for $20 shipped. Firewood sold separately.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: JTM | Missing Person | Battle.net: DrSpielgood#1946
    "I love you, you love me. Barney raped me by the sea." --Synonym
    "Why do I feel like I'm being fooled by you both? I can't find the penis. I need to find the penis." --Augustus
    "Nobody can read baby." --Pimp Willy
    Currently 7-4 in SRK Mafia | One half of SRK's contingent to the Game of Mafia Champions.
    MVP of SRK Mafia All-Stars II | Season 1 Best Mafia GM Golden Crust Award Winner
    http://www.jesustoastmafia.com - Where people from SRK go to lynch niggas.
    ·
  • ezkialrageezkialrage Ninja Tech Graduate Joined: Posts: 127
    ive searched around and i cant find a clear answer to this question for the life of me.

I have an OG 360TE that i am going to put a mc cthulhu in. ive ordered the cthulhu and the imp and an rj45 jack. my question is, since i am adding to the 360te stick, do i NEED to poach a 360 fightpad pcb to get the single cable usb output to work, or can i use the already included TE joystick pcb + mc cthulhu?

from all the information i have gathered so far, to dual mod my 360TE stick for single cord use on multiple consoles, i need the mc cthulhu, the imp, and another xbox fightpad pcb. I totally disconnect all wires from the original fightstick pcb, and replace that with the chimp+fightpad pcb. is this about right.

I have a 1st run 360 sf4 fightpad, i just dont want to have to take it apart if i dont have to since its still unopened in the box.

if someone could explain this to me or point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. Im new to electronic modding so im trying to wrap my head around why this wouldnt be possible.

I appreciate any help
    Ezk
    Still Training...
    xbl: ezkial rage
    psn: ezkial_rage

Ibuki / Rose / Pink T.Hawk
    ·
  • dem0neyesdem0neyes Joined: Posts: 33
    should be able to use the original 360te pcb. I've done it multiple times
    ·
    I have an OG 360TE that i am going to put a mc cthulhu in. ive ordered the cthulhu and the imp and an rj45 jack. my question is, since i am adding to the 360te stick, do i NEED to poach a 360 fightpad pcb to get the single cable usb output to work, or can i use the already included TE joystick pcb + mc cthulhu

Dude, you should have just ordered a Kitty TE instead once they re-stock. It would save you an awful amount of effort.

If you want to keep what you have just ordered then use the 360 TE pcb's and dual mod the motherboard to the MC Cthulhu. Connect both to the IMPv2 with an RJ45 jack, then run this to the RJ45 jack you install in the back of the case.
    ·
    man now i feel silly for ordering that. kitty would have saved me so much trouble. o well. i swear i was looking up this stuff for hours and hours before i finally ordered cthulhu. never once did kitty te show up! bah . its good to know i can use the TE pcb tho. thank you for clarifying.
    Still Training...

·
    one more question. I received all my parts for this operation except the "[SIZE=13px]Neutrik NE8FDP RJ45 Feed-Through" which looks to me like just an ethernet passthrough. i have a basic ethernet passthrough from radio shack. im wondering if that will work, or if the neutrik one is specialized for just multi console pcb's. [/SIZE]
    Still Training...

·
    it will work
    ·
    good to know. im having one slight problem with my mod and im not sure the forum to throw it into.

basically, unwired my 360 TE stick, attached all the MC cthulhu wires, and then attatched the imp to that. I plugged it into my pc and updated the MC cthulhu firmware no problem. so i plugged it into the ps3 and bam, working great. i plugged it into the 360, and the xbox no longer recognizes the TE stick. i find it so odd since all the inputs get routed thru the og TE pcb and the PC and the PS3 can recognize it.

tldr: my xbox 360 TE stick can be used on ps3 / PC but not the Xbox 360. any advice? anything im missing?
    Still Training...

·
  • aj1701aj1701 Joined: Posts: 30
    I had my stock dual modded with an imp 2, mcc and xbox pad. It works, but I always need to force 360 mode to use it in the xbox any ideas?
    ·
    Have you updated the firmware on the MCC?
    The older firmwares do not auto switch.
    ·
  • aj1701aj1701 Joined: Posts: 30
    Have you updated the firmware on the MCC?
    The older firmwares do not auto switch.

Yes, I updated it before I sent it to be modded I can double check though.
    ·
  • j00zboxj00zbox Joined: Posts: 51
    I'm trying to dual mod my ps3 hori soul calibur 5 stick with a 360 fight pad, however I do not want to mess with my select or guide buttons on the ps3 side. Using
    this guide: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/imp2.pdf, I assumed that I could use the basic setup, but soldered the start button from my ps3 sideto F instead of guide. This however, is not working. Is my thought process wrong or did I execute incorrectly?
    ·
    as long as you use the same button from both the pad and the stick it should be fine.
    why not use guide? I'm guessing it has to do with the actual button layout.

Also, did you make sure to solder A and C on the underside of the imp?
    you can test on a PC to make sure everything works rather than going to a console each time.
    ·
    Hm so I def used start for both and soldered it together. So i definitely think its switching between 2 things. By default on PC, hrap shows up, test my buttons all good to go. When I hold start and plug it in, I'm getting really strange behavior. Hrap still shows up, but when i press buttons it lags and only works sometimes. I was able to reproduce it and it definitely is triggered by holding start down(I tried replugging it in without start and the behavior from the previous iteration stays the same) Any ideas?
    ·
    You didn't say if you soldered A and C on the bottom of the imp.
    Also, post pics of your soldering.
    You may need a new USB cable. The HRAP usb cables are crap and i usually have better luck with a madcatz or other.
    ·
    Sorry, I def sodlered A and C on the bottom. I tried 3 USB cables with no luck. I'll post pics later
    ·
    Still having issues, was wondering if anyone could help. My 360 side works, but when I switch to ps3, it says the usb is unrecognized(in windows). I checked the lines, and I get 5V across VCC, 3V across V- and 0V across V+. Do these voltages make sense?
    ·
  • Ssj4Crisis_XSsj4Crisis_X Battling Puddies! Joined: Posts: 101
    edited January 2014
    Any chance is there an easy guide to follow other then the pdf?

From what ive been able to gather is that the V though G on the imp v2 gets soldered to the Mc board. Then the two holes for the xbox goes to the xbox board. Where do i solder the wires for the buttons to? Also does it matter if its a wired or wireless 360 board that i use?
    Post edited by Ssj4Crisis_X on
    ·