The ongoing history of the GTASF

Nagata Lock IINagata Lock II Godfather Of The GTASFJoined: Posts: 5,967
We have a lot of new faces in the GTASF nowadays. SFIV has brought what appears to be a second coming to the SF world. If there's one thing I've noticed from new kids is that they're interested in the history of the scene. I'm creating this thread for people who have been here from the competitive get go to lend their input and tell their stories. Share history and memories. Share drama, road trips, good and bad times. I only ask that players respect the thread and what's in it. If you're an idiot, I'll delete the post. With that being said, I'll start with the city I called home.

BRAMPTON (1991 - 1996)

I've been playing SF essentially since 1991. Street Fighter II first hit Brampton in a local Beckers (corner of Williams Parkway & Torbram). The convenience store made very little money but that cabinet was never without competition. I was 10 at the time and thought myself an OK player. I was not an OK player. That cabinet along with essentially all cabinets as they cropped up in Brampton between 1991 and 1998 were dominated by two players. Garrett Grant was a tall lanky black guy. He crushed everyone. It wasn't even close. The guy simply had a mind for SF. The #2 guy and from what I could tell Garrett's best friend was a kid named Jason Ciani. Some of the old heads out of Toronto will probably recognize the name. When he was 18 or 19 he moved from Brampton to Scarborough. The last time I saw Jason was at T3 and he was known by a fair amount of the TOSF VA/VF regulars. In any case these two ran the show.

Brampton's arcade scene was split up into two main arcades. They were Shoppers World and Bramalea City Centre. I can't speak much on Shoppers World. It was on the other side of the city and I was rarely in there. BCC, much like EMTC went through an arcade shift over the years. In the late 80's into early 90's it was on the ground floor and absolutely massive. It'd be comparable to the old Skybox (which I understand became Old Navy and we all know how big those stores are). Up until I quit gaming in arcades (1997) that arcade was intact. I don't know when it was moved to the upstairs location but even that location was huge. Anyone that was around back then could attest to how deep that arcade was. It looked small from the front but you'd walk back and it opened up with loads of spaces for cabinets and pool tables. Typically the newest fighting game was put front and centre to draw people in. A third spot within ghetto Brampton was the Pizza Pizza located at Central Parkway & Grenoble. That Pizza Pizza got everything first. It was typically ahead of the major arcades by weeks, if not months. There's something to be said about a pizza place run by Chinese guys who are all solid gamers. If you wanted comp on a Friday night you hit up that Pizza Pizza (you hit up BCC on Saturday afternoon). The place was probably 1/3 the size of a typical Pizza Pizza and it was lined with 3 or 4 of the newest cabs at any given point. You were basically crammed in there like a sardine can. If you wanted to play the best you were there though. You were uncomfortable and surrounded by thugs but you were a solid player if you were winning at all.

When I entered high school in 1994 the big games from what I can recall were Super Turbo, Killer Instinct, Mortal II and Samurai Shodown II. The Internet was pretty much still in its infancy but a few people would be able to pull move lists, combo lists and strats off of the early Newsgroups and Bulletin Board Systems. Of course if you had the Internet at all in your place that was impressive unto itself so people with this kind of information came few and far between. Text files are serious business for downloading on a 14.4 (that's 1.4kps to you guys who grew up on high speed). It was a good period to be a fighting gamer. I never developed any interest in Killer Instinct after people were breaking the game within weeks of release. Being 14 and infinite juggled by Cinder players was not my impression of a good time. If anything I'd consider myself a KI scrub. ST was the main game of interest for me. By today's standards I was terrible. In fact by today's standards everyone was terrible, including Garrett and Jason. I'll be honest in saying I'm pretty fuzzy on 1995 and 1996. I would assume most people were playing MKIII and Street Fighter Alpha. I wasn't a fan of either game. MK's having to press a button to block drove me nuts coming from the SF world and SFA moved far too slow for my liking. 1997 rolled around and SFA2 hit the scene. I played the hell out of that game until I couldn't hold my own against people using CC's and it was over.

I quit...

(to be continued)
Canadian eSports Events Co-Ordinator.
Canadian Gaming Community Discord: https://discord.gg/Q82vTdk
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/NagataLockII
Facebook: http://facebook.com/nagatalockii
Words to live by: DON'T FALL FOR HIS GIMMICKS!

Comments

• DaDesiCanadianDaDesiCanadian orangecat av! Joined: Posts: 6,901
    This is a long read, and might not be that interesting to an outside player. It's written from a personal point of view, so this is only things that I remember, from a Mississauga point of view.

MVC = Marvel vs Capcom.
    Erin Mills = Erin Mills Town Center, and it's arcade, the Games Skybox.

There's tons of inconsistencies with timelines, but I really can't remember too well.

SaugaSF Part 1: 2000 - 2001

Erin Mills in 2000. Summer days at the old arcade next to the theatre. Tons of people were always there, playing every game. MvC1 had a giant screen to itself, with a cabinet that required a projector, right next to the shooting games on that little raised platform. The arcade was always full because of the theatre right next to it, sadly the last time it would ever experience such a boom.

I would rarely visit the arcade, because I had no interest in most of the games. Me, James(Crayz Penguin) and CQ had been playing MSH vs SF and MVC1 at home for a while now, and we didn't see a reason to pay to play at the arcade what we could play at home. We hadn't even entered high school I think, so the mall was for mostly weekend visits.

Then one day, MvC2 showed up. Even though MVC1 had been around for a while, there was no "scene" as yet. Nonetheless, there was a usually a small crowd around the machine. People would drift in, watch it for a bit because it was flashy, then drift away. Since the game was brand new and unavailable on console, I was hooked. I can still remember my first game. Someone was using Gief and Guile, and then simply walked away from the machine. I picked up his game since we were the only ones around, and the three of us mashed out a few games.
    Of course the game attracted a lot of random people, but there were some players who knew what they were doing. There were a couple of Amingos doing huge combos (HOLY CRAP, 12 HITS!!!), and a ton of Guile's and Wolvies.

Soon after the release of MvC2, the theatre shut down, and the arcade quickly got moved to it's new location. Even though the location was slightly worse because random people couldn't see it just walking through the mall, it was in the prime spot to attract the people from John Fraser, the school right across the street. If you walked in from the school, the arcade was the first thing you would see.

Because of this, eventually the old school Sauga MVC2 crew formed... Clayton, Julian, Matt(not Ex_Matt), Yuhin, Richie, Dave x 2, Rich, Shan, Chris, Me, Kenan(he came a bit later), Salmon, and 100000 randoms from Fraser all trying to break the machine as fast as possible. I can't remember if Ramy was there at that point, but who cares about him anyway.

Unknown to me at this point, there was also a separate crew of people who would come play on weekends, and sometimes the evenings. This would include people like Ex_Matt and Gerjay. These guys were the real nucleus of the "SRK" Sauga crew. Apparently Gerjay and Dogberry (Yes, Kevin played MARVEL! WOW!), used to show up every Sunday, and just dump a ton of quarters in the machine.
    Gerjay wrote:
    Me and Kevin used to train for about 3-5 hours EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY, back when my dad would just give me a pile of quarters and tell me to have fun. I remember when MvC2 first came in to the theatre, it was a shock to me. Stupid amingo's kept beating me, but then I learned the cheapness and started beating the likes of Dave (what a scrub) and clayton (cheap!), who were otherwise unbeatable before I stole some of their tactics with psylocke.

Anyways, the saturday/sunday crew mainly consisted of me and kevin... but sometimes Matt or Chris Liu or Shan would show up. When we first posted on SRK the meeting was funny, cause we were amazed that we had all played eachother before. . . for some reason.

Edit - I remember knocking calvin and company off the machine when I learned that honda is cheap and that blanka can do throw into super :P After I showed Alex that he kinda got cheap though :(

When tylor first started playing CvS1 I decided I would never play the game when he was on the machine. His stupid Yama or Vega tactics were just unfair.

And the TO crew came down earlier for fun that didn't involve a tournament, but like... they were a good 3 hours late, meaning I had to go home. At least I got to see a few games of cammy doing combos I didn't think were possible.
    Julian and Matt were always using the newest shit.. Pyslocke anti air assist, and Cyclops into AHVB, etc.
    Clayton (the long haired goth guy) hated the new top tier. He stuck to his guns, and used to beat down scrubs with Hayato, Amingo etc., until one day he just couldn't win any games, and walked away never to be seen again.

The change guys were also different.. there was the old guy with hair, but there was also this tall youngish black guy. He used to be pretty decent at MVC2 too, but just rarely played. I'm guessing he was afraid the manager would see him, so he'd sneak a game in here and there.

I can brag that I was the first person to use Sentinel in Skybox... he was unlocked the game before my quarter was down, but for some reason the guy who was playing didn't pick him. I picked Sentinel, and went down in trivial history.

I hated Sentintel. He was obviously low tier. He was slow, had insanely slow startup on all his moves, and useless supers. Much like Storm. Good thing I read Gamepro, and knew the real top tier. Juggernaut and Blackheart.

Shan was the first of the people who started breaking through the old school untouchables, and started playing the game closer to what we would see today. Cable with Ken anti air assist, jumping hard punch all day long, and when anyone got near, Ken anti air. (This was still pre-magneto btw..) Cable seriously pissed the old school players off. There was nothing really "cheap" as yet, but it was pretty clear that Cable was starting to dominate at this point. There was rarely a team without Cable in it, even for the scrubs.

Around this time, MVC1 was REALLY popular. Because there were a couple of people who just couldn't be beat at MVC2, a lot of people just went to MVC1 as the next best thing. Calvin pretty much ran MVC1 with Chun. Strider was also very popular. Nobody used the secret chars yet.

Umer introduced me to SRK around this point, but I didn't realized the Regional forums existed, and that there were actually people from Sauga regularly posting. When I did find out a bit later, it was Azn Rich, Gerjay, Shan, Chris liu, Ex_Matt, Yuhin, and i'm sure others, but I can't recall. I was pretty big on MVC2, but I was playing A3 on console a lot more, so I was more concerned about finding strats/combos for that in Fighting Game Discussion.

Gerjay started showing up in the late afternoon, I guess after his school was done. Not many people were there at this time, so I was his only competition. Magneto's tempest combos were brand new(LET'S GO MIKE Z VIDEOS!), and we'd spent tons of games just trying it out. Gerjay eventually learnt it. Shan and Chris Liu also picked it up pretty fast. The old school heads for some reason didn't pick up Magneto that quickly.. they were already losing interest in the game, and probably just didn't care enough.

At this point, Sauga had already hosted their first Toronto-Sauga gathering through SRK. I hadn't found the regional forums at this time, so I had no idea it happened, so I can't really say much about it. I do know it was the first tournament we actually changed the machines over to event mode, and it was the first tournament that spawned the Sauga-Toronto (admittedly one sided) rivalry, and years of genuine hate between the players of both cities.

But anyways, back to where I was. The scene was already beginning to change from random people playing, to a consistent set of good players. There were a lot of newer people, but they were all horrible. There was a noticeable difference between the "SRK'ers", and the people who played normally.

Eventually, the old school MVC2 players graduated from Fraser, and just stopped caring. They'd show up once in a while, but never with the same drive.

The regulars on SRK still kept showing up, always playing competitively, and always hoping to learn the best "new strat" before anyone else did.

Part 2 soon: The new players, the introduction of the CVS series, and the start of console tournaments..

SaugaSF Part 2: 2001-2002

Once the older players retired, there were a whole bunch of new faces on the MvC2 machine. Nobody was really "dominant", so all the new people weren't discouraged from playing. Even though the good players were good, there was still a chance of them getting beaten by a worse player.

By now everyone had a general idea of tiers. When people were playing seriously, there were no more wolverines and the usual garbage, although Guile and Charlie still weren't rare. Shan was pretty much top of the heap at this point. Nobody could figure out how to get past Cable/Ken. But he only played during lunch, and occasionally after school.

Then one day, we walked in, and saw a brand new fighting game: "Capcom Vs. Snk"! The first question obviously was, "What the fuck is SNK?". This was before we realized that fighting game information really existed online, and we genuinely had no idea what SNK or The King Of Fighters were.

People really REALLY liked this game when it first came out. It was a throw back to the old school, for people who didn't like MvC2's insanity. People who wanted a slower paced game usually stuck to CvS1.

Everyone started playing the game. For some reason, I was already good at the game, and I could usually pull out a couple of wins. I got cocky, until this short Asian guy with glasses showed up one day, with his very very big Asian friend, and they basically made a fool out of everyone. Yes, Calvin, Ken's, and Alex's time had come. They would split games, and nobody would be able to get them off the machine except when people would get lucky with Ryu or Blanka. For those unfamiliar with CvS1, Ryu's Shin Shoryuken and Blanka's level 3 Ball super would take off around 75% life as a counter hit. This meant that at low level play, the game was usually a crapshoot.

Mind you, it didn't really matter that there were dominating players, as everyone just wanted to play. There were long lines of quarters on each machine, even MvC1.

Soon, there were regular players, faces you could recognize everytime you went (outside of the regular crew we know now). You could always count on this tall guy with a baseball hat and big headphones standing and watching, but NEVER playing. We all assumed he was storing up valuable information and secret training, ready to be unleashed at some point. But no. He just stood there and watched, right up until Skybox closed down. I did have the honor of seeing him play once, but he was disappointingly mediocre. What a waste of a life.
    Then this guy with longish hair and a bandanna would show up with his fat friend.. and they actually gave Calvin a challenge. This was Afro Rich without an Afro, and Rade. They had the mechanics of the game down pretty well.. Rade was pretty bad, but Rich had a solid game. They only played CvS1, and never touched Marvel. There was also this random brown girl who would play CvS1. She was actually pretty good at the game but she eventually disappeared. I spotted her again a few months later at Playdium, where she worked. Go figure.

Calvin would occasionally play MvC2... he'd do these godly combos with his execution, then lose to the scrubbiest tactics because he had no idea how to play. He soon gave up, and concentrated on CvS2. Ken and Alex did continued to play Marvel, and could win occasionally.

Eventually, the person I'd end up playing the most often was Tylor. We'd go even most of the time, with me slightly ahead... until he discovered Blanka. If you think turtling is bad now, imagine facing a turtling player when you have limited knowledge of the game. He even managed to piss of Calvin a few times.

Big news one day; People from Toronto were coming down for a Sauga tournament!! This was the first "big" Sauga/Toronto tournament.

I can only remember off the top of my head, the people who came were: Flightwing, Ron(DeadlyRaveNeo/Sheng-Long), Shadow_fighta(DENNIS FUCKING KIM!), Geminite, jonstar, DarkDragon... and I can't remember anyone else. Actually, i'm not even sure if Barry showed up. But I know there were a couple more Toronto guys .

Long story short, Sauga got dominated, ripped up, and absolutely destroyed in CvS1. Wing was so unimpressed, that he purposely lost his first match, and just had an easy time in losers until the finals. Wing never ages, and we thought he was around 12 years old; we had difficulty believing that he was the winner, and even more difficulty believing that he wasn't 12 years old.

As a side-note, this was also the beginning of the long standing tradition where I beat Dennis Kim in every single tournament we both entered. Fucking scrub.

The tournament was a real eye opener. I honestly think that tourney was the turning point for Sauga. Nobody had any idea what solid play was, until we saw those guys. Bread and butter combos, zoning, baiting, spacing, punishing, we never really knew what the hell we were doing until now. We didn't stop being scrubs, but we certainly moved past the "beyond terrible" level.

I think by now, Teddy had started showing up at the arcade. He was this quiet kid who never said a word, but would just stand by the jitz table watching MvC2. This was important because casuals/tournaments at Teddy's house held the scene together for a long time.

Also, everyone in Sauga was pretty friendly. Yeah... Sauga without drama.... fucking ridiculous.
    Originally Posted by Mihai
    LOL Also, 99% implies there are at least 100 people that know me you tard. You really should invest in a proper education instead of being a bum.
  • noodlemannoodleman Cancer of GTASF Joined: Posts: 5,165
    subscribing.
    "You'd be better off falling asleep with the taste of my crotch in your mouth." - Miyavi

"no no! it don't hurt if spoon is greasy!" - Zangief Chronicles.
    SaugaSF 2002-2003

Warm summer days had turned into cold winter nights, and we were still at it. I remember trekking through the snow (uphill both ways obviously) to the arcade on evenings and weekends so I could play with the "better" people. At lunchtime in school I would dominate all the scrubs, then get a humility lesson on the weekends as I played people who actually knew what they were doing.

The regular crew was me, Gerjay, Ex_Matt, Dogberry, Devotion, AzN_Strider, Spidey_Shan, Afro Rich, Rade, Calvin, Alex, Ken, Tylor, Khufu, and a few others. That's just off the top of my head, so you can see there was always a constant stream of players.

That first tournament with Toronto sparked the "Tournament Phase" Sauga had. From what I can piece together, we held tournaments with increasing frequency. We went from holding one tournament, to monthlies, to weeklies, and then horrifically, to dailies. I'm pretty sure Sauga was 40% of the reason APEX failed, but that's another story for another time.

A few days before CvS2's console release, Devotion held Saugas first console tournament. Everyone was so happy because we knew how to work those bracket things. I dont remember too much from that tourney except Ex_Matt getting really angry at Shan winning MvC2 on his first time using the DC pad. Thats literally my only memory. Its a good memory.

A few weeks later we were playing CvS1 at Erin Mills when a delivery guy popped up with this giant blue cabinet. YES! CvS2 was finally at the arcade! That cabinet was awesome, and to date its one of the best looking arcade cabs Ive seen. It was all metal and blue, and would take an incomprehensible number of quarters from me over the years. This cabinet was also awesome because if you tossed a quarter really hard down the slot, it would count as two quarters. We didnt find out about this until much later, but still, freebox cabinet. I remember the first game played was between me and almost-had-his-Afro Rich. I tossed him around with Ratio 2 Ryu because we had secret practices on console, and he got angry and started swearing. Good times. Alex also punched Shan in the gut that night, but I have no idea why. I just feel that needs to be recorded into posterity for some reason.

Now that we had CvS2 and MvC2, we started holding weekly tournaments. Our talk about these tournaments on the SRK forums attracted the attention of three people from Scarborough. These three talked a whole lot of shit, even for SRK. They were the JS MASTER, TECHROCKTOOGOOD, and J||<O_ROCKER (or however he spelt that idiotic name). They talked an endless amount, and then finally made it down to Sauga. We had no idea what we were expecting, but we certainly didnt expect what we got. JS MASTER was this 5 foot asian kid with a bowl haircut who made FlightWing look obese. TechRockTooGood was the fobbiest person I have ever seen In my life. TechRocks jeans were so big, he could have easily wrapped two JS Masters around his legs, and nobody would have known. Jiko was this short brown kid. Jiko and JS are both taller than me now. Fuck them both.

All three were decent, but JS was obviously the talent. I think TechRock went out 0-2, Jiko went a little further. Gerjay says the only reason JS didnt win Marvel was because Jonstar and DarkDragon were there too. Gerjay says a lot of things, so take that as you will. Well ok, he was right, since JS started coming alone to the weeklies, and won almost every time. Keep in mind JS was still very young at this time, so he had to take public transportation from STC to Mississauga. This involved about 15 buses, 2 trains, and a ride from his mom. Every weekend. That kid is batshit insane. Its probably also the reason one of JSs favourite sayings for a few years after that was DIE SAUGA!. But yeah, JS would come down every week and take our money. Sometimes from the floor.

Around this time, EMTC started getting a really random string of arcade machines. We had ST, 3S, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, some massive Guilty Gear machine nobody played, and at some point 2 CvS2 cabs. We were probably just a transit/holding point for the machines as they made their way around the various arcades, but at least we got some exposure to the other games.

The first week we had the Third Strike Cabinet, I decided to play some dude who was using Yang. Yang was totally mid-tier, might as well destroy him while I waited for my turn in Marvel. I put in my quarters, and about 30 seconds later I was dead.

Wat?

I tried again..same result. Dude would rush me down, psychic guessed every single thing I was going to do, parried everything I did, and didn't let me parry a single thing. I played him about 4 times straight before giving up.

Fuck you Pocari Sweat.

This is also the time EMTC became infamous for its shitty sticks. The sticks would break down a lot, sometimes to the point where we had to ask on SRK if the sticks were working before making it down there. Sticks would stop working, buttons would randomly stop working; all the usual problems of an arcade. The main issue was the ridiculously long response time it took to fix them. Sometimes the button would break again 5 minutes after the repairman left! Frustrating. This led us to start looking for other venues to play at. Ex_Matt opened his house a couple of times, but he lived nowhere close to EMTC, and we were all kids without cars. Luckily, Teddys house was right across the street

TO BE CONTINUED
    LOL Also, 99% implies there are at least 100 people that know me you tard. You really should invest in a proper education instead of being a bum.
  • YellowS4YellowS4 Joined: Posts: 4,579
    I'm going to leave out years because I'm too lazy.

When I lived near Fairview Mall, I wasn't old enough to really go there on my own. Instead, I relied on the Becker's across the street where I got to play WW and Rainbow for hours at a time. I was probably 9 or 10 and didn't have much competition besides a few mates.
    I'm not sure which came out first, SSF arcade or the SNES port of WW; but the former, I had to play at some shady pool hall in the same plaza where the Becker's was located (which got rid of their arcade games). I used to gather up whatever change I had just to play.

Moved down to Scarborough...
    Biking involved 2 places: Malvern Mall video store and some convenience store at Neilson and Sheppard. The video store was awesome because it had ST, MK2 and Darkstalkers. I believe the convenience store only had MK2.
    Majority of time was spent on DS though because it was different and I guess, fresh. I liked ST, but the game was unforgiving. It didn't help that you can get owned by the CPU on the 2nd stage.
    Around the same time, I started making my way down to VA/VF (was still in elem. school!) and that opened my eyes to every other arcade game. Virtua Fighter, the sports & racing games, etc.

Eventually I started going to STC after school, and honest to God, that was probably the best arcade... just because it was in the food court (free refills at Arby's!). Back then, arcade fighters were booming. Even though a lot of them were pure dogshit.
    Wargods, KI, MK3, MvC, SF3, just to name a few. Time Crisis 2 was pretty big back then too.

I'm not sure how I met Geminite. I think I was on #416 and he was selling bootleg ps1 games haha. After awhile, we started playing CvS at STC on what almost felt like a daily basis. Aznbomber, Jonstar, Wing, Jason Ma, Dai Lo Lip, the security guard, crowbar... there were a lot of personalities and friends that came out of the whole STC scene.
    I don't have a clue how Jonstar got into it. Pretty sure it involved CvS1, and I think Wing popped up around the same time.

Blah blah blah.

Typical Friday was something like, go to STC, then VA/VF. Saturday was STC, then VA/VF. Over the years, we'd replace STC with Orbit + VA/VF/Metro.

edit - one day I'll get around to doing something proper.
  • Nagata Lock IINagata Lock II Godfather Of The GTASF Joined: Posts: 5,967
    FORMATION OF TEAM BCC

I gave up on fighting games after 1997. Alpha 2 had put me in a place where I didn't care to play fighting games any longer. If I were to look at myself back then from today's perspective I'd say I was a scrub that wasn't willing to take his game to the next level. I elected to play games on PS1 and you know... go to college. I worked two jobs and attended college full time. In my last year of college I was taking the GO bus home. Assuming I wrapped up around 3:30pm I'd end up at BCC around 4:30pm and have to wait for my mom to pick me up an hour later or take another bus home. When you've got an hour to kill you start wandering the mall and sure enough I came upon Wizard's Castle. For a while I hadn't realized the arcade had even moved, only that it wasn't where my memory thought it to be. I figured it closed down with a lot of the stores from when I was a teenager. It was October of 2001 when I walked into that arcade. A lot had changed. There was a Street Fighter III (what a load of shit that looks like). There were kids playing a game that looked like an epileptic seizure waiting to happen (we call it Marvel now) and there was CvS2. Ah CvS2, I fucking loved that game and still do to this day. It's too bad I fucking sucked at it (and still do to this day apparently). My first opponent was a kid I would later find out was named Terry. He was a short scruffy asian kid with long hair that always looked like he wanted to cut you. He whooped me pretty badly for weeks on end. My first team was Terry/Haohmaru/Hibiki. It fucking sucked. I just couldn't wrap my brain around the engine. At the time I was doing wrestling reviews (that's basically the hobby I filled the 4 years between quitting and re-starting with SF, watching and reviewing wrestling). I left an offhand remark in one of my reviews about how I'd just started to play SF again and I was pretty terrible. One of my readers was a guy out of SoCal named Thoth2001. He sent me the link to SRK. So began the lurking phase. The site was pretty basic compared to today's standards but it had strats and some videos. My team was adjusted to C Hibiki/Kim/Guile(2). I was starting to see regular players at BCC but didn't know anyone really.

In the meantime I went from lurking on SRK to making an account in the new year. I made my first post as a friendly hello and was completely shit on by the one and only EX Matt. Interesting bit of trivia here as the person to come to my aid after being flamed by Matt was none other than Adrian "TechRockTooGood" Chan. I spent a month playing regularly in BCC while trying to get the first Brampton thread started and failing miserably. It was basically a thread with me and random Sauga players talking down to me. So one night I got in the car and drive into The Games Skybox. They had a great cab with a really nice screen. The arcade was sadly empty though. Eventually a fat asian kid would show up and I tore him apart. The player would turn out to be part of that trio of players known as Calvin/Alex/Ken that was terrorizing Sauga. I went back on SRK and offered up a challenge to Sauga to play CvS2. So I went back a few days later and was greeted by Gerjay and Shumayel.

They got smacked out 7 - 0 and left. Best gas money + 50 cents I've ever spent.

So after I gained a shred of respect from Sauga I started going to Skybox on a regular basis. They had a ton of players that were better than BCC's regulars and I was adamant in improving my game. Then I'd go back to BCC and tear people up with new stuff that I'd learned in Sauga. March rolled around and a major tournament went down. I was top of Brampton at the time and went to see how I'd rep. Montreal had just discovered CC's (remember this is March 2002 so that was a big deal) and beat me so badly they were literally pushing each other off the cab to try stuff out on me. Then just to make sure my first tournament ever was even more painful I met my first Toronto player.

Me: Hi, I'm justin.

Guy: Hi, where are you from?

Me: I'm from Brampton.

Guy: What's a Brampton?

Me: .......

That's how I met Kymah.

As I mentioned I got used to the regulars. There was Terry, there was the little nerdy kid who never stopped swearing named Darcy, the douchebag with the briefcase, the guy I named Glass Honda, A skinny brown kid who worked at The Sony Store named Raj, skinny arab dude, the muscled up asian guy, the brown guy with the accent and the asian kid with the scarf. Every day in 2002 between 4:30pm and 5:30pm it was a madhouse in that arcade. The Arab guy ran the show with Runaway Akuma. The brown kid with the accent was stupid enough to use Ratio 4 Rugal. The muscled up asian kid was driving me nuts with basic N Groove gimmicks. The asian kid with the scarf was playing an odd K Groove team but couldn't settle on a team. Terry, the kid with the swearing problem and suitcase douchebag fell off. They were regulars but weren't contenders. It was obvious who was standing out from the pack.

By now I was in full swing between Sauga and Brampton playing. It was obvious after a while that it was the same players either destroying the randoms or losing to each other. 2002 rolled by. I was still the only one travelling at this point (M2 was probably the last tournament I entered without the rest of Brampton with me). When 2003 hit I elected to have the better guys over to play at my house and thus Team Brampton was formed.

Skinny Arab Kid = Gandhi Taymor (Xpac786).
    Muscled Up Asian Kid = Peter Panacci (FuzzyPickle/Dr Elephan/Sauvastika)
    Brown Kid with The Accent = Byron Vlhakis (Ultimate Rugal)
    Asian Kid with The Scarf = Jason Wong (Noodleman)

(to be continued - Enter Shoppers World)
  • DaFlipMastaXVDaFlipMastaXV Shunpukyaku Joined: Posts: 3,676
    yea im posting to subscribe, i may or may not post a log
    Peekaboo NERD
  • RPGv2RPGv2 Joined: Posts: 740
    Hamilton SF,

Can't remember the dates but this is just from my memory and perspective and it won't be as detailed as Curt and Anant cause I'm lazy. Also might not be in the right order.

There used to be 5-7 arcades that I knew of. Each mall(4) had one. Downtown had Funland and the palace, Vanny knew that scene more. I'm assuming Jamie owned up the Eastgate arcade. I mainly played at the lime ridge mall arcade.
    I played with a group that isn't in the scene at all now. We started with SFII:WW. Throwing was cheap, you had to give a throw back. You had to give mercy rounds. This went on with CE until SSF2.

I learned lots from the change guy at the arcade, he basically trained me in all these games. I played there often and was pretty much known as the spoiler, can't remember when I got the nickname, but basically people would be playing the CPU, and i'd join in to own them up and spoil their fun. I was ok at each game but never had good comp until I went to the downtown arcades. Their game was on another level. I remember mostly Alpha 1, and how there was a sodom player that would just destroy everybody. I learned about a year ago that he had an unblockable kick, and realized that's how he kept winning.

Anyways, Lime ridge Arcade was really busy up until a3/mvc2/3s was there, they got the new games, but nobody really played. The scene started to die when mvc2 came out. Everybody thought that the game was about big combos. Then some kid comes in (Vanny) and just chipped people to death. After that nobody would play him and just watch him play the CPU.

Jamie showed up now n then at the arcade. We never talked. He wore a Wu shu jacket, we called him Mr. wushu. It was good playing him cause he knew what he was doing. But from what I remember I was able to beat him cause he would get so pissed after every loss.

Eventually all arcades shutdown except Eastgate. Went there lots with Jimmy(Veggiebob) just to play DDR. They got a cvs2 machine in and we started to play on that. Vanny and Jamie were also regulars there. At first we never talked much, just played on saturdays and that was it. Started to talk with Vanny after we had mutual friends at philthy's wrestling night. I believe that Jamie started to talk to Vanny while playing cvs2 because Vanny had no money, but Jamie wanted to play people so bad he paid for his games.

I guess the Hamilton scene mainly started because of cvs2, it was our only fighting game there. Eventually me Jimmy,Vanny and Jamie started to have casuals at Jims place after playing at the mall. All of us knew nothing about tiers, or how higher level play of the game worked. Jamie mainly played P groove, Vanny used A/N groove, I stuck with K groove and Jimmy used C groove. We tried to learn mvc2, it took us about 6months or so to realize that jimmy was using a turbo controller with tron bonne and chipping us easy with her drill.

Around this time I think Jamie jokingly made a Hamilton thread on SRK, surprisingly it got lots of people posting. We went to an EMTC for a cvs2 tourney. My tourney match was against ratio1beatdown(Roger) and I played my usual team of K-yuri/maki/rock. Which looked like a random pick. Nobody was watching but Vanny I think as everybody figured roger would just own me up. People started to watch as it went down to game 3 and of course Roger won, but it was closer than everybody thought it would have been. This is when I got the name Random Rey, I believe it was from Ex-Matt.

We knew about John(cron1c) and Darko and thought they were gay (seriously). Vanny most likely started that joke. I played them before at the Mohawk College arcade then I ran into them at T4, and started to talk with them more at the arcade. There was alot of other players at eastgate but none of them stayed in the scene either, from who I remember, the twins, aaron, and their friends. Some are still around, Vince, Mario, Ike and Nam.

I can't remember when Justin showed up but we had a Hamilton vs Bramptom 5v5 for cvs2. There was so many Hamilton players at the time that Jamie hosted a tournament so we can figure out who the top 5 spots were. Our skill was nowhere near theirs and it was good learning experience and it was good times. Only memorable thing was when Justin wanted to plug in his Camera but it was a vent for the Vacuum and saying "that sucks!!" I think this is also when Justin named us Team Hammer(Jim,Jamie,Vanny,me) which we kept as a running joke.

Around this time I took at trip to California. Made it a mission to find Sothern Hills Golfland. Saw crazy highlevel marvel so I didn't play it. Then decided to play cvs2 vs the cpu since the place was dead. Then a guy joins in, I don't pay much attention to him. Won/loss some games against him. I was using K-yuri/maki/raiden at the time. He picks A-iori/sak/bison. I get CC chipped to daeth by iori and sak. Then he paints the fence. I start to think of videos I saw on the internet because of this. I start to talk to the guy and find out that he's in town for a tournament (EVO). It was BAS he speaks broken english but was very nice. He taught me how to use A groove. I goto eastgate the next saturday and start to use A-sak/rolento/bison and make everybody wonder where the fuck I learned A-groove since I always used K groove.

From here on we trained for T5 and made trips for tournaments at orbit and kbbq. Don't remember much about T5. From here on I guess is when we started to get to know the other crews from TOSF and sauga.

Too tired and too lazy now to think about more, hopefully the other guys have more input.
    Team Hammer's Retired Family Man.
    -RANDOM THAT SHIT!!
    -HERE COMES THE HAMMER
  • RXSRXS The Canadian Stream Supreme Joined: Posts: 2,138
    subscribed, i love reading this stuff and finding out how people got into the game..

So much history and good times.
    Visit TorontoTopTiers at http://torontotoptiers.com
    Follow me on twitter @TTT_RXS
  • ZeroFalconZeroFalcon Joined: Posts: 594
    lol crowbar. i remember him. STC was good times.
    i like how all these stories invloves CVS2.
    "You'd be better off falling asleep with the taste of my crotch in your mouth." - Miyavi

• deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787
    This is really cool. Thanks, Nagata. :smile:
    So in early 2003 BCC's scene was in full swing. Pete and Jason were both regular members of SRK with Pete starting to travel. His best friend Charles (Carlos Escobar), his younger brother James (SRK name escapes me) and Ghazi (JaeWhoon) were now regular players up and coming. Peter had established himself as the consistently best player in the city. Jason I believe was back at Waterloo and Byron was inconsistent at best as he spent a lot of time with his girlfriend. Pete and I started to notice an influx of players we hadn't seen before. These kids had some serious talent and started to smack us up pretty badly for weeks on end. It made no sense that three or four guys could come out of nowhere and dominate so much. At first we thought they were Toronto player, then I took the initiative and found out they lived in Brampton. They were the top players out of Shoppers World.

Steve Lawson (The Original Gatsby)
    Tyrell Taylor (Neo)
    Joshua Baine (THE Josh)
    Kolin (Khaos)
    Junior

Junior was more the mouthpiece than anything of real note. He had no real talent but he was always with that crew and was always talking shit on their behalf. If the guy wasn't so harmless he probably would have been really annoying. In any case, Kolin was a lot like me in that he was big on the idea of tournaments. He wanted to build a scene for Shoppers World the way it was slowly building at BCC. As a result, Colin was the first person in Brampton to put together a console tournament. He managed to get his parents to cover all of it as his birthday party. Shoppers World brought their best players and we brought our best players under one house and it was on.

BRAMPTON'S FIRST TOURNAMENT - THE KHAOS TOURNAMENT (12 Entrants - Round Robin)
    1st: Dr. Elephan
    2nd: The Original Gatsby
    3rd: Nagata Lock II
    4th: Terry
    5th: JaeWhoon
    6th: Neo
    7th: Vinnie
    8th: Sid
    9th: Khaos
    10th: THE Josh
    11th: Constantine
    12th: Xpac786

Coming off of this tournament I knew we could have a viable tournament scene and put together Brampton's first arcade tournament. From a numbers perspective (24) it was a huge success. Logistically looking back it was a complete disaster. I elected to run the tournament on a Saturday afternoon. Remember we were in a mall so it closed by 6:00pm. I can't even fathom a tournament finishing that early nowadays. Hell a lot of tournaments don't start until 6:00pm despite the best of intentions. So despite telling everyone to show for 11:00am we started an hour or so late and the whole thing blew up in my face. The entire top 8 didn't finish and in a move of complete ego I GUESSED who'd have placed where and submitted the results to APEX. Can you imagine someone arbitrarily telling you where they think you'd have placed based on what they think of your skills? It would have caused a major issue today but back then it was taken in stride. Tournaments were still a relatively new phenomenon on this side of the GTA. Brampton's tournament scene would be limited at best. We would run another tournament in May and June of 2003 and that was about it. The mall hours crippled us as it concerns running a tournament with any real numbers. Brampton would end up with small casuals at BCC but the writing was on the wall. It was time I hosted regular casuals. I started hosting casual games in my parents basement on July 4th 2003.

(To be continued - first taste of directing, London and Lockdown)
  • nGumannGuman The Goofy Nguboy Joined: Posts: 1,212
    Wow this was a good read fuck tech class.
    "Even if my fists turn to dust, I would not give up on my quest."
    Only in London!

• HishamHisham Purple Drank! Joined: Posts: 379
    Thread is too good...

I'm thinking about actually using the subscribe feature for once.
    I am the jenga master.
  • BansheeBanshee Old School Joined: Posts: 401
    I remember going to Scarborough. I think the first time I went for a tourney was for MvC2. Good times.
    As for the mustache of your curl it is somewhere?
  • Jay WangJay Wang FrameDatas! Joined: Posts: 665
    Chopped from the Sauga Thread ....

So Kymah asked me yesterday about some #tosf history. I wanted to post it here for nostalgic reasons and maybe some of you guys can fill the gaps of what it was like in Sauga back in the day.

Warning: This is a long post

This was almost 7-8 years ago so forgive me if I missed anything.

I was an mIRC junkie back in day as me a group of my high school friends had our own channel.

I stumbled into #capcom by randomly typing in channel names. This is the same way other famous channels such as #mississauga and #hamilton have started. From #capcom I found my way on to shoryuken.com as well as alt.games.sf2

On SRK, there was a thread created by Ron (DeadlyRaveNeo) for Toronto players. At the time, arcades were plentiful and spread out in the Toronto area with: STC, Pickering TC, Fairview, VA/VF, Funland, Orbit to name a few.

I?m going throw out some old school locals that I met in the early days. Some still play. Some don?t. Some came back because of STHD and SF4 (ie: me and ????)

Note: I played mostly CvS1 and MvC2 and was limited to Scarborough because I didn?t have a car. I also won?t know much of the 3s players:

==============================================

VA/VF: Ron (DeadlyRaveNeo), Shawn (Drunkin B), Jon (3s Ryu player, also VA employee), Will Willis, Ryan Chong, Marvin Li, Bryan (TommyBoi)

Funland: Kin Mah (Kymah)

STC: Jay Nogoy (YellowS4), Kevin Szito (Azn Bomber), Barry Choi (Geminite), Jon Chen (Jonstar), Jason Mah, Wing, Andy Hahm (Hoju Jr), Wing (flightwing).

Other STC personalities:

- Holy Crowbar! What! You grab me boy!?
    - Dude who worked at Taco Bell and would come to play during his break
    - Dude who worked at the arcade and would play MvC2 with one hand

Fairview: Lawerence, Spencer, Raymond, David Tran, Stephen Munroe (Dark Dragon), Kevin Medina (FinKM)

Pickering: Dennis Kim (Shadow Fighter), Devon ??? (Firefists)

===============================================

So after discovering that there was a mini community, I made a channel on mIRC called #TOSF. The people with ops were the ones that were the first to join. From what I can remember the ones who had ops were (in no particular order (real name / mirc nick)):

Gerry / Tha_Rock ? my hs friend, casual SF player
    Nelson / XBloodX - my hs friend, casual SF player
    Marvin / C-Royd
    Will / will
    Ryan / king of naboo
    Dennis / shadowfi
    Andy / HojuJr ? I think he had ops but I can?t remember for sure.
    We also had a couple of bots in there to look after things. I can?t remember their names.

After the channel was created, I was sticking signs on the arcade machines at various arcades (STC, VA, Fairview) with ?#TOSF? and www.shoryuken.com on them in attempt to generate awareness around the community.

If you are curious how the ?T? tournaments got their name:

The first ?T? tourney was T2. 2nd was T3, etc.

T2 ? Toronto Tourney
    T3 ? Toronto Tourney Two
    T4 ? Toronto Tourney: The Third
    T5+: No need for abbreviations since there have been at least 3 so it can be considered ?tradition?

I stopped playing after T4 when I went off to university. At some point after that Nagata took over the scene and became the GTASF godfather. Look for the other stories in this thread to fill in the gaps!

Remember that this year will be TX (T10) so we have come a long way.

=====================================

The First Time Toronto Played Against Montreal in CvS1 and MvC2

Note: Now that I think of it, this could have been 2 separate tournaments but I honestly can?t remember. One of the games may have been T2, I just don?t remember which one. Or I could be completely wrong about these even being part of the ?T? series =\

MvC2 - Toronto vs. Montreal

In MvC2, Luc (Banshee) showed up and owned dummied everyone with Spiral/Sent/CC. In the finals, it was I think either David Tran or OmniDragon but It didn?t really matter cause he whopped both of them. I think I came in 5th place, losing to Luc and David Tran as I had no idea how to stop Sentinel (and I still don?t, lol).

Remember that back then, Sentinel was played extremely basic: the top strats were: laser x drones and jump back FP for aa. Unfly combos, jumping out between drone super, flying around while stomping ? none of that existed yet.

I wish I had the vids of that tournament to post. Luc?s Sentinel was hella ghetto old school. I remember one combo that he kept doing was:

j. LK, j. HK, Land, j. LK, j. HK, capcom assist. (lol)

The reason why it fucked me up was because I was too used to blocking low after Sent would land from the jump-in. Yay go scrubby me.

If someone out there can hunt down the vids (VHS!), you?ll be able to see what I am talking about. This Sent was boooootleg.

It was an extremely humbling experience as I think the Toronto players were all hella cocky thinking we were the best MvC2 players but yet have never left our local arcades to play other players. This sadly was the highlight of my MvC2 career.

Toronto vs. Montreal - CvS1

CvS1 was a different story. Shawn opted to use the ?Team Battle? mode on the machine and make it a 2v2 tourney. As in, all characters were ranked a Ratio 2 and each team member would play a single character.

From Montreal were 5 players (sorry, can?t remember). The teams looked like:

Prez and Tony
    Master Mao and Random Player A
    Random Player B

Random B needed wanted to join and needed a teammate, so I volunteered as I didn't have a team. I was given a lot of shit / trash talking for being such a ?traitor?. Lol. Oh well.

Some Toronto Players and Teams:

Greg (Chunnerv) and Cam (Ian?s Brother)
    Jay (YellowS4) and Barry (Geminite)
    Wing (FlightWing) and Bryan (TommyBoi)

I don?t remember much from the tournament except for 2 things:

1)
    The intense finals of Prez/Tony (Ryu/Sak) vs Jay/Barry (Geif/Honda). It was perfect as it setup the best from Montreal against the best from Toronto.

Prez and Tony both played very solid footsies but the Honda gimmicks of roll, roll, insert special [ headbutt, buttslam or ochio] were too strong. In the end, Honda sat on everybody. Barry and Jay won the tournament and so began our feud with Montreal!

If you ever played Barry in CvS1, you will know what I am referring to. Honda has the shortest roll in the game and Barry had no problem abusing it. It was hella annoying to hit or throw him out of the roll.

2)
    My partner used Bison and he was decent. I tried to use Nak because I wanted to copy a Ricky Ortiz video that I saw a week before the tourney. But it turned out my Nak was shit as my best combo was jab, jab, walk up, throw.

We won our first match and in the 2nd round, we played against Greg and Cam.

If you don?t know Greg and/or Cam, they are hella old school players and were considered to be the top Toronto CvS1 players along with Jay and Barry at the time.

With the score 1-1 (we somehow managed to steal a match.. I think it was because Greg didn?t use Chun the first game), it was down to the last characters on both teams: my Nak vs Greg?s Chun.

Greg is up on life. I?m being my usual turtle self and just sitting in the corner, full screen away, holding down back as time continues to count down. Greg gets fed up and begins to sit in his corner as well.

I remember thinking what I was going to do next and had no idea because I couldn?t get in on Greg at all. So just I waited for the clock to run down a bit more. With around 18 sec left and full screen away, I do the healing super with Nak!! (Thinking back, I probably should have waited a bit longer).

Greg must have been surprised and overwhelmed with mind lag. He didn?t do anything for a split second but ended super jumping towards me and hit me with a jump short (lol) to stop the healing.

I gained enough life back that now I was BARELY in the lead. The clock was down to about 15 seconds or so. I run around a bit more and win by time out. Greg was SO pissed off that he looked like he wanted to shoot me. Haha.

It was a great feeling as going into the match, I kept telling myself and my teammate how fucked we were against Cam and Greg. But instead me and some random dude from Montreal just sent the top Toronto players to the loser bracket!!

And that's what I remember from playing against Montreal the first time.
    - JayWang

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow!
  • Jay WangJay Wang FrameDatas! Joined: Posts: 665
    #TOSF Attends It?s First US Tournament

March Madness @ University Pinball (UP), Philadelphia, PA (2002, I think?)

At this time, MvC2 was in force and CvS1 was just about dead with the launch of CvS2.

- 5 of us went: Will, Stephen, Jay (YellowS4), Jonstar and Myself
    - Will drove all 5 of us in his Celica or Civic (?) ? I can?t remember what kind of car it was exactly but the point it was a 2-door coupe and way too small for 5 of us!!
    - Will took one for the team and drove the entire trip (10+ hours!). He didn?t want Stephen to operate his car (/no racist). Jay, Jon and I didn?t have our driver licenses.
    - At the Canada/US border, we ran into some problems:
    - Will didn?t want to tell the border officer that we were going to Philly to play in a video game tournament. It wasn?t ?cool? enough of a reason for him.
    - Instead he proposed that we tell them that we are going to visit a friend (kind of true since we were staying with David Spence)
    - Jonstar fucks this up and tells the officer that he is going to play SF in Philly.
    - Border officer is confused. He sees that Jon is a minor (I think he was in Grade 9 at the time) and asks if he has permission from his parents to go to Philly.
    - Jon produces the note and I am shitting you but this is how it read:
    Hello:
    Please let Jon go to the Filly.

Thank You,
    Jon?s Mom

- That?s right. THE FILLY. With a ?F?. And don?t forget ?THE?.
    - Of course, the border officer is now suspect of our story and asks us to pull into secondary inspection. They interrogate Will, Stephen and Jon 1 by 1 and after finding out the truth, they let us through. Phew.
    - I?m not sure what gave it away but we had 1 white, 1 black and 3 asian guys with an age gap of ~6-7 years between oldest and youngest. Plus nobody could get their story straight of why we were going to Philly.
    - We got lost in upstate NY or PA because the maps that Will had printed out from shitty MapQuest were outdated. This was before GPS and Google maps.

- We met up with the Montreal crew and fortunately Spence was nice enough to let all of us crash at his 1 BR apartment. It was something like ~700 sqft so people were sleeping on the floors everywhere. I remember Master Mao sleeping on the floor in the kitchen because he was only one who could fit. Haha.
    - From Montreal were: Prez, JFL, Arcade Kid, Mao, ManaBoy and probably a whole bunch more whom I can?t remember.
    - Alex (Arcade Kid) brought his Canadian Flag and wore it like a cape everywhere inside the arcade. He was also behind the constant shit talking of yelling out ?GO CANADA!? whenever we were doing well.
    - Top US players in attendance were: Justin Wong, Eddie Lee, Arturo Sanchez, Sanford Kelly, Jeron Greson, Julian Robinson, Josh Wigfall, NKI to name a few. Big Eric (V?) was organizing the tournament.
    - This was the first time for me to see these players in action and in person. The same players that I have been looking up to (and stealing their tactics!) since the birth of SRK. I felt nervous, excited and intimidated all at the same time.
    - I was I wish I had gone up to them and talked to them after playing but I was a pretty shy kid back then during my high school days =\

- This event also opened my eyes to the difference between casual and tournament play, as well as the idea of sandbagging.
    - The day before the tourney during CvS2 casuals, I remember building up a 20+ win streak using my turtle tourney team of C-Vega, Bison, Blanka. I even beat Arturo and Jeron once too. On tourney day, I of course get whooped by the very same players I had beaten the day before! I was exposed to all these A-groove CC?s and tricks (that I have never seen before) and setups that the top players were saving for the tourney.

- In terms of the CvS2 gameplay, 1 button A groove CC?s was the new hotness. The game was still in it?s early stages so no one was using Bison Painting or Sak?s sho sho. Roll cancels haven?t been discovered yet. I think JWong won the tourney. Some of the teams used were:
    - Justin Wong: A- ?/?/Chang(2)
    - Sanford: A-Rolento/Hibiki/Ken(2)
    - Jeron: A-Vega/Chun/? And A-Nak/Mai/Chun
    - Eddie: A-Rugal/Eagle/Rock (I think)
    - I can?t remember how well the Montreal players did but Prez and JFL played turtle C-groove teams as well (Arcade kid I think played N groove). After the tourney, Montreal took back all the tricks they saw and began to learn A groove.

- I remember going to a diner and ordering an authentic Philly Cheese Steak Sandwhich. To this day, I still have yet to find anywhere in Canada that can offer anything remotely close. That shit was too good and made the entire trip worth it.
    - JayWang

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow!
    SRK's tournament results archive is pretty extensive, going all the way back to 2002. I thought I'd quote this particular post from Doug as Summer's End was a huge thing back in the day and put Toronto 3rd Strike on the map.

SUMMER'S END SVCD TRAILER[/B

SOS2's SUMMER'S END Review

This tournament meant so much for me. All my efforts and hard work was meant for all the TRUE 3rdS massives in TOSF. From day one of the SF32I scene, I was determined to get everyone together to battle it out in tournaments. Back then it was
    seriously hard, b/c the internet wasn't mainstream at all. I had to do it in person. (I barely us it today) I'm so glad the TOSF is at the level it is today, with the help of everyone in the city. (ELITES and ADAVANCED players) This was by far the BEST FUCKING TOURNAMENT I have ever put together. T3 was such a crappy tournament which everyone was not in the mood to play 3rdS. Due to the NO SHOW from out of towners and the stress of the
    low amount of entries for ever game, the organizer's promises was not met and the owners of VA/VF were very dissapointed. The owners really worked their asses off to get everything setted up for T3.

Summer's End 3on3 Team Battle Tournament Review (7 teams)
    1st ) Steven T. (Cool-Killer),Kei L & Nelson W. (pcat)
    2nd ) Jason, Darren S., & Robert W.
    3rd ) Kinny H.(KinnyGarden), Joe C. (No-Mercy) & John T.(SOS/2)
    4th ) Will W. (Will), Ryan C. (King of Naboo), Devan R. (FireFists)
    5th ) Wei P. Roy, Clem C. and Anthony, Louie, Doug H. (hyt)
    7th ) Tony D., Adam B., Anthony C.

We saw every element in SF today, from aggressive rush
    down, turtling, safe, cautious play, "CRAZY" ass combos, insane red & normal parries and the best thng of all ... the diesverse style!!! Even though there wasn't as much of the big combos and insane parries as T2, the VIBE was off the hook. Everyone enjoyed fighting and watching the battles. The finals rounds
    were some serious NAIL BITTERS for everyone. Right down to the last members of the team, the FINAL rounds showed a great deal of tension I have ever seen from the players and spectators. I was going mental from the stress watching these two teams going at it !!! Suspense and the finest !!! (Editor's note: Jason's team was sent to the losers by Steven's team, and then they came back to battle it out by beating Steven's team in the first set and bringing it to a 1-1 nail biting FINAL FINALS!!!)

Respects ...
    Steven T. (Cool-Killer) - You earned the name once agian !!!Simply insane combos (Editor's note: Makoto Reset AGAIN during the Round Robin matches!)
    Kei L. - Pure SOLID gameplay today & the amount of damage you did was ... freakin' wicked man !!!
    Nelson W. (pcat) - You improved 200% today and everyone in TOSF was impressed and the EILTE crew is very proud of you. The crowd went NUTS for you !!!

Jason - Simply the best 12 player I have ever seen in the world ... wait until the rest of the world see it when the video comes out !!! You OCVed alot of teams today.
    Darren - Very smooth and slick.
    Robert - Excellent playing today.

Kinny H. (KinnyGardern) - Thank you for changing your mind and be a part of the team. It meant a lot dude. The team woouldn't get that far if you weren't there.
    Joe C. (No-Mercy) Thanks for coming on time today man and you KICKED ass!!!

GRAND CHAPIONSHIP REVIEW
    1st -Steven T. (Cool-Killer) ***Toronto's SF33rdS GRAND CHAMPION !!!****
    2nd - Kei L.
    3rd - Joe C. (No_Mercy)

Editor's note:
    Kei vs Joe (Kei wins 3-0)
    Joe vs Steven (Steven wins 3-2)
    Steven vs Kei (Steven wins 3-1)

Wait until ppl see the FUCKING crazy combos they pulled off and the shit that happened !!!

Thank You
    - Everyone coming out to support, respect and giving me so much face for my efforts in holding tournaments from day 1 (SF32I & SF33rdS) You guys play a major role in this as well :)
    - Vince and Roger *VA/VF owners* for sponsoring the trophy and awards for this tournament. Also allowing us to have tournaments and to create the foundation of our home for 3rdS
    in TO.
    - Will & Doug for helping me get this project off and assiting me at the tournament.
    - To the ALL people who helped me out doing some side jobs
    - To the CvS2 DT & TOSF players for co-operating with my demands.

Keep your eyes out for the next "BIG" tournament next year. Once again I'll be holding with my other assiting directors ... Will & Doug.

Peace & Respect !!!
    The first ECC I went to was brutal.

iirc, there were only 3 people from Toronto (maybe Canada) that even went: Me, Greg (ChunnerV?) and Shawn(DrunkenB). Getting lost on the NJ Turnpike is probably one of the worst things ever since every sign is covered by a fucken tree, the roads are worse than Detroit and Jersey itself is a fucken dump.
    Oh, and fuck toll booths.
    Come to think of it, I think Spence rented the car and drove us down there.

But yeah, this ECC was around the time CvS1 was absolutely massive. Things that stood out:
    - I thought Ricky Ortiz was a girl since he had long flowing hair that looked sexy in the wind, and some hellokitty? taropanda? backpack/purse thing. Could have sworn he had tits too.
    - JWong getting 99+ wins with Marrow, Guile and Cammy.
    - MvC2 cab fucking up and losing all the characters. What do you do when such a thing happens? Finger the machine until you get all the chars. back.
    - Grimey Break Steaks that, to this day, do not compare to anything aside from the Philly Cheese Steaks across UP.
    - We didn't stay in a hotel, we stayed in Philly. 2 hrs away from 8 on the Break.

So, you can imagine us going to 8, driving to Spence's appartment, sleeping for a few hours, then driving another 2 hrs back to 8....
    It didn't help that one night, we stayed until 5am because Shawn wanted to finish his mvc tournament match.

CvS1 matches took 20 mins each since everyone had to pick 4 ratio1s. mawp.

Anyway, we drive around to get some lunch. Pull into some parking lot where this cunt just stops her car right in front of us and wuddya know, we rear end her. She gets out of her car, holding her neck, looking at the license plate and just tilting because a) we're Canadian b) Spence is black c) she wants to sue us because she's suffering from whiplash.
    I don't remember how that turned out, but we ended up going to Taco Bell.

Greg and I finished top 30 in CvS1. Spence does pretty well in A3 and ST I think. I remember playing A3 casuals and getting away with a lot of stuff with Gief. Then I get owned by Chun stomps because I can't do shit about it. I think I was playing Jeron's Chun.

Tournament over, I think Spence drove us back to Toronto since it was his rental car. Probably one of the most awkward conversations I've ever been a part of involves Shawn asking us if we know what "tossing the salad" was.

MWC:
    Send data
    Fat greasy fuckers playing DDR
    Nickel arcade where half the games didn't work
    SFEX

ECC____:
    White Castle
    Shit buffet with some sort of syrup, soup, salad dressing container.
    Kin's trivia games
    I have a shitty memory, but here's what I can remember from what Jay posted.

first TO vs MTL tourney in Scarborough:

Man the trash talk online back then was epic. None of us had played each other before, so when we got there we had no idea what to expect.

When I started winning with Silver Samurai and servbot before the tournament people started freaking out. I think that moment was when the MvC2 TO crew decided to get their act together, because all the times I went afterwards, the comp was on par with MTL.

I think the last one I went to was T3 (or maybe 4), where Josh Wong and Spidertao came down. I remember having a lucky time in the tournament, having John beat Josh and Arcadekid beating Tao (I think). Then Arcadekid losing in the semi to (omni? not sure) because he picked tron assist againt storm. The final was completely one sided, with people litterally screaming CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! the entire set. I think the TO crew complained MTL was too noisy lol :p. An epic tourney for me, and my fondest memory of MvC2.

March Madness

I was there the year TO and MTL slept and Dave Spence's appartment. I remember we had problems at the border because of Marco, but it worked out. I remember Arcadekid's dad not wanting him to go to Philly (or was it for the TO tourney), and me telling off his dad by cellphone. :p

Philly was a great place. Eric, the tournament organisor, was like teh coolest guy ever. Cheesesteaks were really good, but the BEST ones are in NJ at the arcade that used to host ECC. Those were fucking epic.

I remember getting owned before the tournament by JWong. He had Guile and Tron, and he raped me. That tournament was a very humbling experience. I learned a hell of a lot though.

EDIT: Shit, if your guys have footage of my matches, post em up !! :D

The first ECC I went to was brutal.

iirc, there were only 3 people from Toronto (maybe Canada) that even went: Me, Greg (ChunnerV?) and Shawn(DrunkenB). Getting lost on the NJ Turnpike is probably one of the worst things ever since every sign is covered by a fucken tree, the roads are worse than Detroit and Jersey itself is a fucken dump.
    Oh, and fuck toll booths.
    Come to think of it, I think Spence rented the car and drove us down there.

But yeah, this ECC was around the time CvS1 was absolutely massive. Things that stood out:
    - I thought Ricky Ortiz was a girl since he had long flowing hair that looked sexy in the wind, and some hellokitty? taropanda? backpack/purse thing. Could have sworn he had tits too.
    - JWong getting 99+ wins with Marrow, Guile and Cammy.
    - MvC2 cab fucking up and losing all the characters. What do you do when such a thing happens? Finger the machine until you get all the chars. back.
    - Grimey Break Steaks that, to this day, do not compare to anything aside from the Philly Cheese Steaks across UP.

I think I was there that year. I even had a picture of me taken at the tourney show up in Tips n' tricks. :p

Ricky O and Sabin as team glitter was fuckin weird. I remember watching CvS1 matches from the restaurant next door. That was cool.

And man, those Break cheesesteaks were awesome :D

I remember going to ECC 3, for MvC1, and I was the only Canadian there. I don't remember how I placed in the tourney, but I had a pretty good WM/Wolvie team, and ppl were telling me how I had the best WM on the east coast.

That didn't last, everyone started playing him, probably better than I did lol. That year, they took a group picture for Tips n' tricks magazine, and i missed it cause I was playing a match! And my friend that tagged along with me was in it, and he didn't even fucking participate in anything.
  • ValarisValaris keeping watch over SRK Joined: Posts: 13,078 mod
    It's stories like these that make me wish I hadn't stop playing when I was young (only to come back to it 10 years later).
    I slept with admins so I could get my join date changed. 
    Nowadays people know me at The Godfather of the GTASF. I run just about every tournament there is to run in Ontario. Back in 2003 I was just another player on the scene. My first big tournament was at T3. A lot of people probably don't remember but T3 was held in the dead of summer during A GARBAGE STRIKE! Scarborough was covered in garbage that hadn't been picked up for I believe 3 weeks at that point. Simply put, the city stank to high heaven. On top of that, VA/VF had no circulation. So it was probably 30 - 35 degrees outside, it stunk from garbage and the inside of the arcade was probably somewhere in the 40 - 45 degree temperature range as it was completely packed with sweaty guys the entire day. In any case I'm getting side tracked. I went into that tournament and met Doug and Nassim for the first time. If I recall correctly Doug was basically running the Toronto tournament scene at that point. I remember looking at that gigantic CvS2 bracket (56 players for CvS2) and wanting to take on something of that calibre in the future. I offered to help Doug at the time but he didn't know me from any other scrub on the scene and basically blew me off. Truth be told I'd do the same thing nowadays.

Well when T4 rolled around, Doug had stepped down as director and Nassim (Arctic Ninja) teamed u with Ryan (King Of Naboo) to run T4. I had already participated in a couple of tournaments but as I documented my only experience running a tourney was in Brampton and the top 8 didn't finish. Not a great debut. So for T4 I got to run a semi major tournament and work with complete strangers. They gave me the responsibility of running Soul Calibur 2. What a complete disaster. Do you know who takes registration and then stalls a tournament for two hours waiting for 3 players to show up from Cleveland? That'd be me. Do you know who drops $250 in an envelope on ORBIT's floor for 1/2 hour and has a minor freakout thinking he'll have to pay out of his own pocket? That'd be me. Do you know who put his own wallet down for two hours in an arcade known for theft because he's too stressed to remember to pick it up? That'd be me. As a tournament I had a great time at T4 but as my first shot at directing in a major it was a disaster in every conceivable way. I must be sick in the head to have stuck with it this long.
    http://www.thebreak.net/ecc6/results.htm

Results from ECC6. Didn't even realize Prez was there too.

Fucken Luc, winning MvC at a T tournament.
    http://www.thebreak.net/ecc6/results.htm

Results from ECC6. Didn't even realize Prez was there too.

Fucken Luc, winning MvC at a T tournament.

Ah! 17th in MvC2! I suck lol.

That's the pic that ended up in tips n' tricks eheh. Some of the other pics are cool too. There's tons of em!

Dsc00014.jpg

Does anyone have the results of the past T tourneys? I can't remember how many I participated in. At least 2, maybe 3... I can't remember.
  • HishamHisham Purple Drank! Joined: Posts: 379
    snip

THE FILLY...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Too good haha.
    I am the jenga master.
  • kymahkymah Jimmy Woods Joined: Posts: 548
    The Gospel of #tosf, according to Kymah

Prologue: Street Fighter

SO I started playing Street Fighter 1 when I was a kid. Well, to put it correctly, I actually watched people play SF1 because I never had any quarters. The machine was located at Spadina and Dundas, inside a Chinese jerky shop, which happened to have arcade games as well. At the time, I thought it was the coolest game ever.

Then came street fighter II. The first machine I saw was in Chinatown centre, outside a video game store. I used to save up the change I got from buying chinese food every Sunday ($5 from my dad, -$4.25 for Beef Ho-Fun = $0.75 for 3 games of SFII), just to play WW. I only played against CPU, used honda, and all i did was headbut, grab and hundred hand slap. And I would never make it past Vega. Never. But every sunday, I would try and try again.

Corner stores and pizza shops were basically the only places I played street fighter; WW, CE, Rainbow, HF and SSF2. And every summer, I would beg my parents to take me to Ontario Place. Why? Because of the Nintendo Power Pod. It was basically a room in what is now Atlantis Nightclub, that was filled with demos of SNES, NES and GB games. And of course, they had WW on SNES. I would go there every day during the summer and beat down everyone with Guile. And to ensure that no one would pick Guile first, I made sure that I got there before they powered up everything, and entered the Mirror code: Down, R, Up, L, Y, B, X, A. That was from memory btw, I didn't google it.

This of course was before I had even heard of an arcade, let alone seen one. Then one day, I had a P.A. Day, but my dad had to go to work. So he took me to Funland. And I thought I found paradise. They had SSF2 Tournament Edition. 4 machines linked together. I played there ever chance I got. I would skip school to play. If I found a quarter in the couch, I would sneak out and play. When ST came out, I did the same thing. Old school rules still applied: Throwbacks, mercy rounds and no hitting on dizzy. I remember going to New York, and played some dude in MSH, and he kept throwing me and didn't give me mercy. I thought "Americans are cheap."

Alpha 2 (Sakura), COTA (Cyclops), MSH (Blackheart), XvsSF (Sabretooth, Juggernaut), MvC (Chun-Li, Strider). I played these games to death. And then SF3 came out. And I didn't like it. Didn't get the parry system, didn't like all the wierd characters.

So I stopped playing. Sure, I played MvC2 when it came out (Sim, Cammy, Amingo....(high damage), but after awhile, I stopped playing it as much when the novelty died down. I finished HS, met my current gf, and we went off to Waterloo together. During my 2nd year there, I bought a Dreamcast, so I could play MvC2, even though my gf told me not to :devil:

Then one day, Capcom vs SNK came out...

Chapter 1: #tosf and shoryuken.com

Now, I only played CvS by myself. No one, as far as I knew, played street fighter in Waterloo. Feeling kind of homesick, I yahoo'd "Street Fighter", and "Toronto". A shoryuken.com forum link came up. And it was the results of a recent CvS1 tourny. 1. Cameron Dhanraj. 2. Greg Baba 3. Devon. I got excited. Apparently, people still play seriously in Toronto. I thought to myself, "Who are these jokers? I bet I could beat them" So I registered an account on Jan 2001, and posted "Where do you guys play?", and waited for a reply. The next day, I checked the forums, and got a reply from one of the players in the tournament.

A player by the name of Jay Wang.

He told me that most of the good CvS players either play at STC or VA/VF. So one weekend, I decided to come back to Toronto and check out VA/VF. My first impressions were not good.

For those of you who have ever been to VA/VF, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's located in a mall, near Brimley and Eglinton. And by mall, I mean strip mall. And by strip mall, I mean ghetto strip mall. So I started at one end, and walked my way towards the other end, trying to find the arcade. All I saw was rundown fabric store, dollar store, Arabic grocery store, textile store, closed store, closed store, closed store, chinese take out Store, arcade, fabric store...wait, found it.

So I go inside, and there's no one there. Granted, it was 5 pm. But at 5 pm, downtown funland is full of people who will stab you for a quarter. Anyway, I lied. There was one person there playing CvS, and for some reason, he had it on ratio mode, and was using Nak/Yamazaki. He must be pretty good, I thought, so I put my quarter in, picked EX Bison/ EX Bison and challenged him.

I destroyed him. He played me 2 more games, and I beat him 2 more times. And then he stopped playing me. But he didn't leave. He just watched me beat the game. Twice. I thought he was waiting for a good time to punch me in the face. I later found out that this was Bryan (Tommyboi). Anyway, I was hungry, so I decided to go to KFC, and hopefully, when I was done, there would be more people.

When I got back to the arcade, the place was pretty packed. A lot of Marvel players, some 3rd strike players, and some kid sitting on the CvS machine wearing a wool hat indoors. He was using Balrog and gathered up a nice win streak. So I put my quarter up, next to the other 5 quarters on the top of the machine and waited to play him. I picked EX-Bison, and EX-Yuri, and right away the kid turns to me and says, "Hey, are you kymah?" I said yes, who are you?

"I'm Jay Wang".

So we play a few games, and I beat him with EX-Bison scams. I ended up staying there and playing the whole night. Huge streaks on CvS, discovering that people don't play Marvel on high damage machines, getting owned by Jay Wang's Blackheart, and not knowing what I was doing in 3rd strike.

All in all, I had a great time, having not played this level of people in god knows how many years. I went back to Waterloo, but would come back ever so often to play at VA/VF, and STC, meeting new people each time.

The first time I went to STC, I saw a little kid just destroying people with Ken. All he would do was Jab uppercut, Super. But he would hit psychic uppercuts all the time, only missing once or twice. I though he was a guru or something. I played him, a lost a couple of times.

Me: "You're pretty good, you must me psychic or something"
    Player: "No, I'm Wing."

So we played a few more games, and he beat me a lot. And then I was going to leave to go to VA/VF, until I heard someone say "Hey Girls". Enter the Gem1nite entourage, which consisted of Barry, the fob in the hat with glasses, and some wonder kid. Barry, Hat and Glasses Fob, and Wonder Kid started splitting games and ended up beating Wing with Honda/Guile.

And then I went to VA/VF and met old man Greg, who kept throwing me with Blanka and then supering me. And then he would just destroy me with Chun.

I went back to Waterloo feeling defeated, but spent hours, just practicing combos and tricks with EX-Bison, hoping that they would run another tourney that I could join.

That day would eventually come.

Chapter 2: Kymah's first tournament, or how I met Team Montreal

One day, while checking the Toronto forums, I found a post left by DrunkinB: Upcoming Street Fighter Tournament. CvS Team Tournament, Marvel vs Capcom 2, and 3rd Strike.

YES!, my day has finally come! I started practicing even more, and started watching match videos they posted on SRK. John Choi vs JChensor was a match that I watched over and over, and learned how to exploit EX-Yuri.

And then, got posted. And that video just fed my hype.

There was only one problem; I needed a partner. So I made a post requesting a teammate. Bryan (Tommyboi) was the first to reply, so we teamed up.

The subsequent posts on the tourney forum basically consisted of people trying to team up with each other. One post, however, caught my eye:

"Hello, we are a group of players from Montreal, and we are interested in coming to your tournament."

Montreal?, I thought, do they even play street fighter?

I wasn't sure if they were going to be much of a challenge, but I still wanted to know what I would be up against. So I asked who they used in CvS:

"Well I use Sakura, and my teammate uses Evil Ryu"

LOL, Sakura and Evil Ryu??? Surely they must be scrubs.

Me: Are you guys good?
    Temujin: Well I'm pretty good, and Prez is one of our best players

Alright, I thought. Sakura and Evil Ryu. Nothing to fear. So I thought nothing of it.

The night before the tournament, I took the bus down from Waterloo, to get a few games in before the tournament, and to practice with Tommyboi. I got a huge win streak, and went home confident, even though I hadn't played any Montreal players yet; they were arriving the next day.

My confidence was further boosted when I logged onto SRK, and found a post in the Strategy forum:
    JChensor, How do I beat EX-Bison?

I went to bed feeling very good about winning the tournament.

The next day I got to VA, and Montreal had already arrived. And Prez was just killing people with Normal Ryu. Sandbagging, of course. Anyway, I took a look at the teams that were formed:

Greg "Chunnnerv" Baba + Cameron Dhanraj, aka Team 2nd and 1st at the last tournament.
    Gem1nite + Fob with hat and glasses, aka Barry and Jahingir "YellowS4" Ngoy
    ^Flightwing^ + Wonderkid, aka Wing Siu and !Jonstar
    Prez and Temujin
    And, JayWang + random Montreal Guy.

Apparently, some Montreal guy didn't have a partner, so JayWang offered to be his partner. Which caused the rest of us to call him a traitor for the rest of the day.

That was some stiff competition. Several top players grouped together. However, once the tourney started, everything started falling into place.

- Wing was so nervous playing in his first tourney, that he couldn't play at all, and him and !Jonstar pretty much went 2 and out.

- Greg and Cameron lost to Jaywang and mtl guy, because Jaywang did Nak's healing super in the last seconds of the final match against Greg for the win. This was the first and only time I've seen Greg smash the buttons after a match.

- Me and Tommyboi sent Barry and Jay into losers.

So now it was me and Bryan vs Prez and Tony in winner's finals. We lose the first match in a very close game. The second match, Bryan takes out Tony's sak, and it's my EX-Bison vs Prez's Evil Ryu. Prez would constantly hit me with crouching jab, crouching jab, crouching roundhouse xx lk hurricane, fierce uppercut. Then he would cross you up and do it again. So I did the only thing I could: Delayed Get up. That messed up his game enough for me to throw him everytime he went for the combo. Both of us got down to a pixel of life. I headstomp him. Prez Fierce DP's after blocking it. I fly away, and then fly back and hit him with the headstomp followup to tie the match at 1 game a piece.

3rd game? Tony's sak OCV'd us. :sad:

Now we had to face Barry and Jay in Loser's Finals. Barry switches to S-Groove and uses Guile and destroys us by doing his rush super. If you blocked it, he would do super again, and you would get hit, because you pushed something. And then he would combo it into flash kick super. And then we died.

Oh well, now we get to watch Barry and Jay vs Prez and Temujin. Let me tell you this: the room was super hyper. Nobody thought Barry and Jay could win from Loser's Brackets. But everytime Barry scammed Temujin and Prez with roll, roll, splash, roll, roll, throw, roll, roll, super, the crowd exploded. As they came closer to winning, everyone started the "na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, hey-hey-eh, goodbye" chant. Eventually, YellowS4 beat Prez for the win, and the bragging rights.

That tournament was very exciting for me, as it was my first one, and it had so many great matches. And it was great having players come from out of town to play in the tourney as well. I started wondering if maybe I should do the same.

Chapter 3: Kymah goes west, or Journey to MWC

I'm playing at VA/VF one day, and in walks White Reflection, Dennis Kim and Andy. Apparently, they just came back from a MvC2 tournament out of town. I didn't even hear about it, but it turns out they took top 3.

1. White Reflection
    2. Dennis Kim
    3. Andy (using Megaman)

I thought that was pretty awesome, so I asked them where they went.

Jack: "London."
    Me: "London?"
    Jack: "Yes, London."
    Me: "So you got 1st place in London?"
    Jack: "Yes, London."
    Me: "So you're like......God."

And that's how Jack is God started.

But this got me thinking.....How well would I do in a tournament outside of Toronto? And it just so happens that DrunkinB was there. Apparently, there was some US Tournament going on in Chicago, and he was planning on going. So he asked me if I wanted to go, and I said sure, why the hell not?

The people going were:

Kin "kymah" Mah
    Shawn "drunkinB" Brown
    Wing "^flightwing^" Siu
    Bryan "Tommyboi"
    and......Spencer, from fairview.

We all decide to meet at fairview, because that was easiest. Shawn was driving, and the idea was that halfway there, Spencer and him would switch, since Spencer is the only other person with a driver's license.

So we get close to the border, and the conversation goes like this:

Shawn: "You want to switch driving after the border?"
    Spencer: "I didn't bring my driver's license"
    Shawn: "................"

SCAM.

So Shawn ended up driving us the whole time. After what seems like forever, we finally reach Illinois. Time to fill up on gas.

We come to what I can only describe as the ghettoist, most run-down, sorry excuse for a gas station on earth. There were potholes everywhere, and a burnt out car to the side.

Shawn gets out to pump gas, and this random black guy, who doesn't even work there comes up to him and starts pumping the gas for him. Immediately, Spencer locks all the doors. I repeat, Spencer locks all the doors. The biggest dude in the car locks all the doors. Not me, not wing, not bryan, Spencer.

Anyway, after the random black guy finishes pumping the gas, he sticks his hand out, and shawn gives him a $10. Shawn goes to pay for gas, and we leave.

Spencer: "What did that guy want from you?"
    Shawn: "He just started pumping the gas"
    Spencer: "Why did you pay him?"
    Shawn: "Because I didn't want to get shot."

Fair enough.

So we start making our way to the hotel to get some shut eye.

The next day, we start making out way to the arcade.

When we get there, who greets us? None other than David Spence. We chat for a bit and then head on inside. I find out for the first time that, it's Nickel City, and it's the Mid-West Championships. So all the games take nickels. Awesome! All I have to do is pay the entrance fee, and I can play all these games for a nickel! Which is misleading of course. It really should be called Nickels City, plural. Because the newer games were like 7 nickels. And the slots always got jammed. Remember those old machines in your local arcade where sometimes the coin slot would jam? Well take that sometimes and times it by 7. That's 7 chances to get your nickel jammed. I'm pretty sure I paid $1 for some of those games. However, there was also a free section, where some of the games were on free play. I spent most of my time there, when I was waiting for matches.

We all start signing up for our games. I signed up for 3s and CvS. Then we started playing some casuals, but the machines are just crowded. The lineups were huge. Wing, however, gets on a machine and starts racking up like 15+ wins. And everyone was thinking this kid is like Jimmy Woods from the Wizard. Eventually, we met up with team Montreal, and we just hang out for a bit, shooting the shit. I finally see a free CvS machine available, so I jump on it. I pick EX-Bison, EX-Yuri, and start the game. And then someone challenges me. I look over to see who it is.

Oh shit, it's Alex Valle!

So he puts his quarter in, and picks Evil Ryu. I'm gonna die, I'm thinking. But I play him like I played Prez, and I win somehow :amazed:. Then he puts another quarter in, picks Evil Ryu again, and I win again. :wtf: And then one of his friends walks by, watches us play and says "Let me play a game". So Ricky Ortiz picks Evil Ryu. And I win again :encore: Valle challenges me with Evil Ryu again, and in the middle of our match, I hear "Alex Valle to Marvel 2, Alex Valle to Marvel 2." But of course it's Alex Valle, and they're aren't going to disqualify me. So he keeps playing, and eventually hits me with Raging Demon, and leaves to play his match.

But I'm not dead yet. So I kill his Evil Ryu.

And that's the history of my signature. Yes, it's that old.

Anyway, the CvS tourney is about to start.

For some reason, they decided to run the tournament a little differently. Firstly, they separated everyone into 14 different pools. Only the player who got first place in their pool advanced. Secondly, they offered a re-entry tournament. That meant that, if you didn't win your pool, you had a chance to join another tournament, and the top 2 people of that tournament would make up the 15th, and 16th player for the final 16. :wtf:

I ended up losing my first match to a random guile player, so I had to dig my way out of losers.

Now I don't remember all the players I beat, but I do remember two in particular:

Viscant. And Ed Ma. That's right, they both fell victim to EX-Bison scams.

I made it all the way to Grand Finals in my pool. And had to play Ricky-O. And I died. His Nak just had a field day with me.

Oh well, at least I had a chance in the re-entry tournament. However, due to time constraints, they change it to a single elimination tourney. I lose to another random Guile player, and I'm out.

And who were the two people that re-qualified?: Viscant. And Ed Ma. :sleep:

That was pretty much the end for me. In 3S, I got killed, because I used Urien SAI, and all I did was wait for shoto sweeps, and then counter with TYRANT SLAUGHTER!. And then I lost to Jason Cole's Chun-Li.

Other matches I remember:

- Wing' Ryu is winning against Jason Cole's Balrog in CvS. He hits Jumping HK, Crouching MK xx Fireball, Cole doesn't die, SUPERS Wing for the win before Ryu can recover from the fireball animation.

- Bryan plays 4 Ratio 1's against Jason Nelson's Guile and gets Shut Down, including 2 perfects. He later comments about how he wanted to punch the screen halfway through the match.

- I see Tony (Temujin), walking around, absolutely livid. I ask him what happened:

Kin - "Hey Tony, how's it going?"
    Tony - "I'm fucking mad, I just got eliminated by some guy from Detroit"
    Kin - "Oh yeah? He must of been good?"
    Tony - "No, he's a fucking scrub, all he did was use S-Groove Iori, and do his Level 3 Fireball super over and over again." Walks away.
    Kin - "Where are you going?"
    Tony - "To plan his murder"
    Kin - ".........."

Poor George Massau.

Afterward, we all go back to the hotel to play some casuals. Except that the tv's in the rooms had no a/v input. So we decided to buy an RF adapter at the local store. It's $8.95 US. I give the cashier $10 US. He gives me $10.05 in change. I leave. That's what happens when all your money looks the same :lovin:

So that was my first US National tournament. Humbling, yes. But we all took back tricks and tactics to use against everyone at our next local tournament. Hopefully, they will prove to be useful.

Chapter 4: T2, Judgment Day

After the events of the CvS Team Tournament, Montreal wanted revenge. And so, Shawn decided to host another tournament. This time, however, it would be a singles tournament, so no one could blame or rely on their teammate; it would be every man for themselves. We all started training every weekend for this event.

On July 14, 2001, the day of reckoning was finally here. In addition to Montreal, however, several players from Detroit came to, notably VDO or RDG. And Massau. Tony's gonna want his revenge.

So Montreal had several players, Detroit brought some of their best talent, there were players from the filly as well. And then, London, Ontario sent 2 players. Arctic Ninja. And Geese.

Geese is like "that piece of shit that you keep flushing and flushing, but you can never get down the toilet" - Shawn Michaels. Everybody hated him. He's been banned from SRK, had several death threats against him, and has been ridiculed on irc more times than I can count. But he decided to come to T2 anyway.

I don't remember how he placed. I'm going to assume two and out in every game. But I do remember that whenever he played, people started booing him, and cheering for the other player. In fact, when he was playing me in casuals, someone threw a water bottle at his head. I think it was full.

Now I learned two important things coming back from MWC: Learn Nak, because she's cheap. And sandbag, so no one can expects your shit until they face you in the tournament.

So that's what I did. I learned all the cheap stuff with Nak. And when I played casuals, I sandbagged with Guile. I still racked up a huge win streak with though.

I joined every tournament. Even MvC2. I picked Bison, and went two and out. Everyone told me to stick to CvS.

CvS finally started. And from the get go, it was clear that something was clearly wrong with brackets. Instead of seeding people, everyone was placed in the brackets by region. Which meant that top players from one city ended up facing top players from another city. In the first round.

I ended up playing a young player by the name of Freddy. Freddyloco. I picked EX-Bison and EX-Yuri. It was close, but I ended up losing, much to the delight of the Montreal Crew. So after the first round, I was sent to losers.

I was pissed. So I tore through most of the losers bracket by steamrolling people with Nak. I didn't care who they were, I played them like I was playing against Rickey Ortiz.

Now because of the way the brackets were set up, I ended playing a LOT of good players in losers: Temujin. Jonstar!. Greg. JayWang. and Wing. I somehow scammed them all with EX-Bison.

- Warning -

Now, I'm going to mention the Montreal screw job. This may, or may not be accurate, as most of what I'm going to talk about is hearsay. But this is basically what I understood.

JFL and Prez are in winners finals, and I was waiting to play the loser for 3rd. JFL mentions to Prez that he didn't know how to fight EX-Bison, but Prez did. So the deal was for Prez to lose to JFL, eliminate me, and then split the pot. Prez ended up destroying me, but when he went back to JFL and said "So we'll split the pot?" JFL ended up saying "No, let's play for it". They did, and Prez won.

I'm sorry if this is a total fabrication; please correct me if it is.

- End warning -

So that's how T2 ended for me. I had a great time though, had a lot of great matches, and ate a lot of Fu Man Chu. That's not slang for pussy. It's the name of the Chinese take-out place next door, which I can only assume made most of it's revenue from arcade goers.

And in typical Tournament log form, here are some highlights:

- Massau hitting everyone with the S-Iori gimmick. He would constantly charge his meter to almost full. Then, we his life got to flashing, he would charge it fully, and then throw the super out. If it hit you, he would charge his meter to almost full again, super combo you, and then run away, finish the charge and start all over again. If you blocked it, he would charge the meter full. And because you are in block stun, you couldn't get to him before he had full meter again. I don't know who beat him, but I'm glad they did.

- Temujin promising to end my life, because I scammed him with EX-Bison. He also threatened to kill Jonstar! for scamming him with Honda, which he only learned that day. I think he's going to do it at TX

- 3rd strike finals were so sick. Final match, final round. Oro vs 12. . Remember, this was 8 years ago. I promised to never play 3s again, after seeing all those sick matches. I would later break that promise.

So that's my log for T2. For me, that was the pinnacle of competition between all the original members of TOSF. Everything just seemed a little different afterwards. Some people still play. Some dropped off. Some got married. Some got jobs. Others went to jail.

But that's the great thing about Street Fighter. No matter what's happening with your life, no matter how long it's been since you've seen your old Street Fighter buddies, you can always just pick up your controller, call them up and say, "Let's play a few games."

Epilogue: Dawn of the new players.

To be continued.
    Kymah:3 Valle:0
  • DarkDragonDarkDragon The MurderFace Murderer Joined: Posts: 1,367
    How I entered TOSF

LOL I love these. Brings back alot of memories.......

When MVC2 came out, I was happy, not cuz it was a new game...but cuz now everyone will have to start out from scratch and i'll be able to own...right? Kinda.
    Got raped for a while but eventually i got 'decent'. By this time, I actually became friends with one guy who used to destory me in the past. He was one of the top dogs there so it was cool. He was the only arcade guy I ever talked to. I wish I could remember his name cuz he was one of those cool types you could just chill with. Eventually I got better than him and he vanished...not just him, alot of ppl would just vanish. Times were changing.

This was the same time I found srk. I forgot how I found it but I did. Also, this was the same time I started to notice ppl ive never seen before come, RAPE and leave. These jerks were from...TOSF.

TOSF.....CHEAPEST MOTHERFUCKERS ALIVE

The day these asshole came to MY arcade and wrecked everyone's shit was the most horrible sf day ive ever had...to them it was tuesday. Actually it was a Saturday.

A little while before these day, I remember playing this tall rice farmer who would use tron. He was really good, friendly and wouldn't hesitate to run his mouth. This guy was an asshole..this guy was marvin li. We would sometimes chat it up and he'd teach me shit. He still remembers when I posted on SRK for the 1st time asking for him. He thought I wanted to fucking fight lol. Anyways, back to TOSF,.

Ok one day a bunch of this pricks come into farivew and pretty much cheesed us out with horrible strats. There was a korean guy that would whore mags/cable, and brown guy that whored sent/cable another korean that sucked but was able to waste everyone that wasn't with him and this short chinaman who was the cheapest but, had some sick traps. If anyone wanted to know where and Why I used BH/Doom to this day, was cuz of that day. Granted, I didn't use the team till years after (I was still stuck in the cheapness reality the fairview arcade created).

EDIT: Andy (the "other" korean) might not have been there. I could have been jack..sorry I know Dennis, Fireclit and Jaywang where for sure....Jaywang should know for sure).

Honestly, I think That day made me realize that there were players who would really go all out. To use any means to destroy your opponent. Fuck man these guys broke all the rules. They threw me and didn't even give throw backs.

Long story short. I ending up leaving Fairview for any arcade I could find. There I learned that the Fighting game scene wasn't centred around Fairview. It was a great yet shocking learning experience. Soon I learned aboout T2 (the 1st time mtl came to battle T.O) which was held at probably the greatest arcade in toronto. VA. I beat a guy then lost to a guy I recently made frends with. It was all good.....motherfucker.

Quick Notes during VA's time

Met up with those TOSF asshole and became friends. Trained at their place in preperation for the 1st London tourny.
    After said London tourny, we went back to VA wich was always packed on friday/sat nights. always
    While watching mvc2, this chinaman comes up to me:
    Chinaman: "hey man, did you go to that london tourny?"
    DarkDragon: "yeah, I did shitty"
    Chinaman: "oh shit YOU'RE DARKDRAGON? I thought were a chinese guy"
    DarkDragon: "...wait what?"
    Chinaman: "Its the name....why didn't you call yourself BLACKDRAGON"
    DarkDragon: ".....lol"
    Chinaman: "...lol"

Anyways the guy was AznBomber, or as the newschool ppl call him "guy in the suit".
    At that time he was the best mvc2 player in t.o. He came 2nd in that T2, after banshee. Hes one of the reasons why I got much better in that game. I don't like falling behind people and like all chinamen he would rub it in my face so I fucking had no choice but to get better, while holding on to the characters I loved.
    Soon after I started training with him at his place and fuck did I get better. Through him I met all the old school people; yellows4, ritchie, barry, drinkunB, jason mah, brian, wing, kymah and....yeah.....jon...the little mawp.

I miss VA
    "golgo 13 is like god there and all those stupid criminals nothing but mortals"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v333/DarkDrag0n/
    -Av Archive-
  • SabinSabin Arcana 2 on PS2 SUX Joined: Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    you guys forgot to mention the first time JSMaster and crew went to ECC, and we talked mad shit to eash other and that weekend everyone accused JSMaster of giving us SARS :looney:
    SRK should stand for Stupid Retarded Kids.
    Originally Posted by Alidfe
    Arturo Sanchez won't be the best Dhalsim until he moves to Kyoto and changes his name to Kazuhiko Nitsuma.
    everyone accused JSMaster of giving us SARS :looney:

Secret Canadian cheating tactics...
    There was a time when Stephen, Jon and I went to Dennis's house with a birthday cake.
  • DarkGiygasDarkGiygas Joined: Posts: 1,362
    lol this thread is amazing already
    It's not a lie, if you believe it.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,675 admin
    There was a time when Stephen, Jon and I went to Dennis's house with a birthday cake.

i was there!!!! that birthday cake was the bomb...but i forgot what it said
  • ScumbaaaaahgScumbaaaaahg Joined: Posts: 442
    i was there!!!! that birthday cake was the bomb...but i forgot what it said

"Fuck You Dennis"
    <alvin81> if like a big crowd gets into a scrap i might just throw a random punch to back of someone's head
    So we're on our way to ECC after meeting up with Roger's car at STC.

We're making good time.

And then, Tony decides to go pick up his friend Ed who all of a sudden decided to go too. So we tell Roger we'll meet up with him at the border.

It takes us 45 mins to pick up Ed, who we find out later doesn't even play Street Fighter, doesn't join any tourneys, and spends the majority of the time passed out behind the pool tables at Eight on the break. More on Ed later.

So we're off to ECC. Again.

We reach the border after being stuck in Traffic before the border for about an hour. We call Roger who's at the Wendy's on the other side and tell him we'll be there soon. How wrong we were.

We pull up the customs officer's booth.

Customer officer: ID's please.

We hand him our ID's.

CO (to everyone in the car): Where were you born?
    Tony: Bangladesh
    Ed: Russia
    Wing: Hong Kong
    Ian: Umm I forgot what Ian said.
    Kin: Toronto.

CO (to Tony): Can you prove you were born in Bangladesh?
    Tony: No.

CO (to Wing, who is smoking): How old are you?
    Wing: 20.

CO (to me): Do you have photo ID
    Me: No.

So far we have a car with a person who claims he was born in Bangladesh but can't prove it, someone who is smoking but looks 12, someone from Russia, and someone with no photo ID. And it's memorial day weekend. Can someone guess what happened next?

CO: Get out of the car and go to immigration.

We spend an hour there explaining what we were doing and where we were going. When the officer asks tony what game he is playing, he goes "Capcom vs SNK 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, and GGXX, which is Guilty Gear XX." Jesus Christ, just say street fighter.

Anyways, they end up tossing the car and opening everyone's bags. We had a bag from Roger's friend (Danny) because it didn't fit in Roger's car. Traces of weed. They let us go because it was only traces.

So why were we stopped in the first place?

Because Ed was wearing a T-Shirt that had a guy in a wheelchair smoking a joint. Good stuff. Then, as we are leaving, we pass by four officers, and they point and laugh at Ed's Shirt.

Officer: Do you have any weed on you?
    Ed: Not TODAY.

(Jesus Christ)

Officer: What's in your pocket? Pull your hands out.
    Ed: Nothing.

Ed: I know why you are wearing sunglasses, because you want
    to hide your eyes; so you can hide the truth.
    Officer: Son, my eyes are the truth. If we caught any weed on
    you, we would of charged you. Have a nice day.

I swear to God, we were one step away from getting a full body cavity search. If you wanted to get raped by four guys, there are other ways to do it Ed.

So then we leave for ECC. Does the ride get any easier?

No.

Do you know why? Because Tony has either ADD or a hearing problem. He has two volumes for his CD player: Super loud or super soft.

So when we try to sleep, he starts blasting his music, and we all wake up. Then he'll put it really low, and we'll start to fall asleep again. And then, as if he forgot he likes his music loud, he pumps it up again. This went on for the whole freakin trip. Just kill me.

Anyways, we're driving along making good time, following the map that Tony printed out from the Eight on the break website.

We finally end up in Newark, New Jersey and start looking for Washington street and North Ave. We find Washington street and start driving up and down, looking for the intersection. No luck. What the fuck. We ask for directions. "Umm, North Ave doesn't exist." Oh good, this is going to be fun.

Turns out, the tournament is in Dunellen, NJ, 20 miles from Newark. How we figured the tournament was in Newark is beyond me, but off we go to Dunellen. We finally arrive at the Break.

Wow, the place is packed.

Not because there's too many people, but because a lot of people were twice the size of normal people. Anyways, I start watching some random matches (because we missed the team tourny) and find out that Ricky Ortiz has chosen to be on a team by himself. R4 Sagat. And he's beasting on everyone. You'd be like "I'm hitting him! I'm winning!" Then he hits you with R4 Crouching fierce and you're done.

That shit is broken. And he wins the tournament too. By himself. That kid is too good. Someone should sell him on eBay.

So we meet up with the rest of the TO crew and head off to motel 6. We decide to stick 10 people in one room with 2 beds. And it ain't pretty

I don't now if you know this, but after a full day being stuck in a car, people start to stink. And when you multiply that by 10, it starts getting fucking rancid. You could cut the stink in our room with a knife.

Whatever, I played games all night anyways, I don't remember sleeping.

Day 2 of ECC, Saturday:

CvS2 and 3rd Strike Tourneys are today.

Man, I'm hungry. What is there to eat? I see a sign for break steaks. What's a break steak? A philly cheese steak made at the break. Wow, how innovative.

I swear I ate too many of those. I think I got owned by the break steaks more than I got owned in the Tourney.

Anyways, they call my pool up for CvS2 (pool number #5). Oh goody! I get to play soon. So I wait around the DDR area. Half an hour goes by. An hour. An hour and a half. Somethings not right here.

Then I hear : Ok, pool number #1 is starting soon.

Why the fuck did you call my pool if I'm not up yet?
    Fuck that, I'm gonna eat another break steak.

I finally play my match like 6 hours later.

CvS2

1st match. Kymah vs I forget.

Toughest match I've ever fought in my life. The TO crew was gathered all around when they called my name up to the playing area. I hook up my DC gamepad, which is the sickest controller ever, configure my keys and............

Wait. For my opponent. Who never shows up. And gets DQ'd.

Whoohoo!!!! Fucking idiot. Who the fuck gets DQ'd at a tourny?!? They call your name, so fucking stay in the area. I was laughing.

2nd match. Kymah vs Alex Nevarro.

Ok, I had no idea who this guy was. But he beats Arturo Sanchez later on in the final 16.

I pick C-Yun/Kyo/Todo-2. No really, this is my real tourney team.

He picks C-Sagat/Ryu/Blanka. My yun tears through his Sagat, then loses to Cammy. Cammy beats out Kyo, but I was able to take her down to half life. Then Todo finishes her off.

Out comes Blanka. Hop Hop RC Electrcity. Repeat x 999.

Oh look, I'm dead.

This is pretty much what happened the 2nd time too. My Yun takes out both Sagat and Cammy. Then Blanka takes out my team. Wow. Where did my life go?

I hate Blanka. Because I suck. And because he's cheap. Anyways, losers brackets is where I am.

Loser's match 1

5...4...3...2...1...DQ!!!! I win again! lol stupid idiots getting DQ! Free breakfast.

LM 2. Some guy I ocv'd with Yun

LM3. Played Some guy from Ottawa. JR or something. Match went ok, had to switch to Sakura the 2nd time, because Cammy eats Kyo for breakfast. Lost to him with an inch of my life left.

That's ok, I had fun, and showed people watching some Yun stuff.

Anyways, I've been in this arcade for like 8 hours now.

They called 2 pools of 3rd strike, but they hadn't called my pool yet or annouced my name. I thought I'd just go outside for a sec to make a phone call.

I stroll back in feeling refreshed and energized.

I see Ian.

Kymah: Hey Ian, what's up?
    Ian: Umm...You got DQ'd from 3rd Strike.
    Kymah: HAHAHA DQ! idiots! hah.....wait...who got DQ'd?
    Ian: You did.
    Kymah: Shit.

Yep, poetic justice. Goddammit, now I have to fight my way outta losers.

3rd Strike

Losers brackets Match 1:

Some guy using Urien III.

I hate Aegis. But some how I beat him with my Ghetto Yun SA III. All the matches were pretty close though. I had to activate Genei Jin and Shoulder tackle under his Mirror for the win. I thought that was cool. Someone was sitting behind us filming the match for the guy i beat. I turn around and there's this giant camera in my face. "Jesus!" I almost fell of my chair. I don't know why he was filming my face. I think they are going to find me and kill me in my sleep.

Match 2 of losers.

Lost to some guy's ken III in very close matches.

So I'm all out for the tournys. Stuff happens, people qualify, then we go back to the hotel for some R&R.

And then Jason Cole and Baltimore Chun walk into our room....

In retrospect, I think they walked in the night before. When you don't sleep for 3 days straight, it all becomes one big blur. Anyway, that's not the point.

Cole and Chun are two cool brothas. Not brothers, Brothas. Really down to earth. Cole's a laid back kinda guy. Baltimore? totally different spectrum. Especially when he's loaded. I woke up to a drunken conversation between him and Wing.

Baltimore Chun: Oh dear God!, you are one skinny mother fucker!
    Wing: .....
    B-more Chun: I could fucking break you in two! Doesn't your momma feed you son?
    Wing: .....
    B: You know what you need?
    Wing: what's that?
    B: A black girl. A big black girl, who can feed you man.
    Wing: ....
    B: In fact, you're so skinny, everytime I see you, I'm gonna buy you a sandwich, and if you don't eat it, I'm gonna kick your skinny little ass!

I decided to go back to sleep.

*Sidebar*

US Food owns Canadian food bar none. A combo at taco bell canada is like 2 tacos, fries and a drink. Fries suck. In the us, taco bell doesn't have any fries. you get tacos on the side. Like I got a combo with a mexican pizza, 2 taco supremes and a big ass drink. A Taco combo has 2 tacos, 2 more tacos on the side and a drink.

They also have resturants that don't exsist in canada. Like white castle. Combo #1 at white castle is 4 hamburgers, fries and a drink. Combo # 4 is 20 :eek: hamburgers and 4 fries. I'm suprised the entire US hasn't died off yet.

*end sidebar*

Day 3 of ECC (Sunday)

Well, this is the day that Tony wanted to leave. First thing in the morning, because he claims it takes 15 hours to get back to TO. Tony, as long as you don't bring your crackhead friends, it doesn't take 15 hours.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter because none of us qualified. But since I came all the way here, I wanted to watch the finals, so I was able to find a spot in Noodleman's van.

I get a ride from Tony, because they deicde to grab a bite to eat from the break before leaving for Toronto. Not the greatest place to eat, but whatever.

We arrive to find Nagata Lock II giving hellfire and brimestone to Demon Hyo. Apparently, Ian was knocked out of CvS2 by someone who had already lost twice. So Ian gets to play Josh Wong to qualify.

Now, shouldn't that be great news? Something to cheer for? I think so. Tony, on the other hand says "screw you guys, I'm going home" and ditches Ian. What the fuck? So that means had anyone in his car qualified, they risked being stranded in NJ if they played in the final 16. Go play in traffic Tony.

Anyways, Ian doesn't beat Josh Wong, and goes to sleep behind the pool tables. Oh, and Danny is there too. He's been there the entire 3 days, slumped in a feral position, as if he's been shot, Or maybe he had too many break steaks, I don't know what's worse.

The CvS2 finals were quite exciting, especially with 4 Canadians in the final 16. Flo doesn't show up to his match with Alex and get's DQ'd. But Alex lets him play the match anyways, and destroys him. Flo, by the way, is huge. And he's not getting any healthier.
    When the Marvel final 16 started, it was so crowded that the directors starting taking away stools from the people watching, because there was no room. Flo HID his stool behind him. That shows 2 things:

A. He's so fat he HAS to sit down all the time.
    B. He's so fat he can hide a stool behind him. They never saw it.

But I'm getting off topic.

I saw Veasna playing Justin Wong, and beating him with roll activate. That's text book Clayton. I saw Eric almost beat Justin Wong, and then almost getting OCV'd by him. Stop being scared of him. He won't eat you.

Anyway, we went back to the hotel shortly there after.

I'm staying in Team Brampton/Sauga's room. Which has no lock on the bathroom. I see Cate going to the washroom. Shortly afterwards, Gerjay goes towards the bathroom. Now I knew someone was in there, but I didn't know there was no lock. So I didn't say anything. And Gerjay opens the door. "Oh my God!" And then he runs away. Doesn't even bother to close the door.

We had a random select tournament after, and Alex won that. By beating Roger. Who was so piss drunk, he kept laughing everytime he JD'd something. Actually, he laughed at everything. And still almost beat Alex.

Monday morning, time to go home.

That's pretty much the end of the road. We pass by customs with no problems this time, because out car has 3 asians, 2 caucasians, 1 black guy and a partridge in a pair tree.

We play various games to pass the time, like the animal game, where you say an animal and the next person has to say another animal that starts with the last letter of that animal, i.e.

Kin: Anteater
    Gerjay: Rabbit
    Noodleman: Tarantula
    Justin: Umm....Animal

And the food game, same thing, just with food:

Noodleman: Pop
    Justin: Pea
    Kin: Apple
    Gerjay: Umm.... Edible Food

Man, there was just too much things that happened. Can't remember them all. Anyways, I had a good time. Everyone should go to at least one National in their lifetime.

Well, it's getting late boys and girls.

Speaking of girls, Empire Arcadia girls are like the town bicycle.

Rice and Gravy.

Later,

Kin "kymah" Mah

http://216.246.50.234/showpost.php?p=1589398&postcount=2

the real archives
  • GerjayGerjay Battleford Tough Joined: Posts: 330
    The Kin log is too powerful. (Edible food ftw)

That was, and always will be, my favourite tournament experience. That ECC was godlike. Canada repped ourselves fairly well, I started my curse of dominating pools and then not being clutch enough to break into the top 16 (aka the curse of 17th place) as well as my curse of losing to Commy in MvC2. It was also the first time I realized that people other than the locals kept an eye on our tournament footage. Basically, I go up to the CvS2 machine, pick my garbage team of Blanka/Sakura/Eagle, and some guy is like "Holy shit, you're Gerjay right?!!!". I also learned that no matter how well you do in casuals, some guy is still gonna smoke you in tourney with your own tactics unless you can keep your cool :(

Best tournament and I completely agree with Kin; everybody needs to hit up a US National at some point if they really love the tournament scene.

Maybe I'll post a log later about my introductions with all the sauga people to go alongside Anant's log in progress. It'll include the story about the jerk that claimed my colour sentinel was the "Super Sentinel" as well as the story of the asian dude who watched marvel for seemingly hours at a time and would never play. . . even though we all know I'm talking about Teddy. Oh yeah, and lets not forget the guy who cried in the Jurassic park machine after losing :P Anyways, I'll post it up later.
    NAGATA LOCK DOWN

For those of you that don't know, I held a console tournament once per year between 2003 and 2005 (technically mid December 2004). The first one was held in August 2003. My parents had gone away to Montreal for the weekend. I elected to pass on having a house party, mainly because I didn't want to burn money on alcohol and the last time I had a party it got really out of hand. Buuuuut that's a story for another time. Anyway, I elected to hold a console tournament. The premise was that we would have tournaments running on all three floors of the house. To the surprise of nobody, that idea went to shit and everyone ended up playing casuals instead. Side note, you know which parents are overprotective? BROWN PARENTS! One of the kids that showed up went by the name Oxygen. His mother showed up with what I can only surmise were 2 more generations of overprotective brown moms to meet me and apparently look my house over in case it was for sale. Seriously, they walked through my main floor looking it over like an open house. Then the calls started. In the span of 8 hours, the guy's mother called SIX TIMES! Anyway, the tournament/casual was a big success. We had around 30 people come out from across the GTA and it started what I was hoping would be a tradition.

The second NLD was far less notable for the people (we only had around 10) but far more worthy for THE SCUMBAG CHIPS! Jay (YellowS4) elected to be a good guest and bring over some Miss Vickies chips for everyone. I don't believe Jay got to eat a single chip. They weren't shared though. Steve (Original Gatsby) ATE THE WHOLE BAG! We're not talking over 15 minutes or something. He destroyed a large back of chips within... 3 minutes? 4? I'm pretty sure CQ saw the whole thing go down and couldn't believe what he'd seen. So Jay got owned up HARD. Then on top of that, Gordon (Tigerlee/Superman) comes out of nowhere and wins the 3rd Strike tourney we put together despite DarkDragon and YellowS4 both entering. From what I understand, the ride home for TOSF was pretty harsh as the second NLD was held in the dead of winter in 2004 and Stephen's windows wouldn't go back up. Apparently they drove an hour in blistering cold and basically froze their asses off.

The third NLD was held in December 2004. My parents had gone away to the Carribean and once again I held a console tournament. This time we managed to play through a host of tournaments. I have this odd recollection of everyone getting themselves disqualified from the Marvel tournament to play poker though. MOP THE FLOOR!

MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2 TEAM TOURNAMENT
    1st - Team Luckfest (JS Master/G3nn)
    2nd - Team Sweep The Floor (Jiggabry/C-Royd)
    3rd - Team Grey (Dark Dragon/Tigerlee)

MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2
    1st - Gerjay
    2nd - G3nn
    3rd - JS Master

CAPCOM VS SNK 2
    1st - JS Master
    2nd - TigerLee
    3rd - Nagata Lock II

CAPCOM FIGHTING JAM
    1st - DarkDragon
    2nd - TigerLee
    3rd - Dogberry

NLDIV was held in March 2008. It was a long overdue return and didn't disappoint. The tournament was notable for a few reasons. First off, we had over 30 people across 8 TV's for this one, making it the biggest NLD to date. You honestly couldn't move in my basement, we had so many people. This tournament marked the death of my Dreamcast after 9 years of loyal service. It was also a reunion for Team BCC as Ultimate Rugal was by some act of God in town (he lives in Calgary now) and indulged Jason in what turned out to be a marathon session of Capcom vs SNK 2. Noodleman played CvS2 for 14 straight hours. He only left that TV on the main floor to eat dinner for about 10 minutes. I don't think I've ever seen someone play CvS2 or any game for that matter for such a long period. I always hear about Sauga playing marathon sessions of Marvel but I've personally never seen anything like it. To Byron's credit, he played Jason for 8 - 9 of those hours. Absolutely sickening. My parents home was a pretty big mess after that all went down. I went to bed around 6:00am and left Sauga + DropTheSky to play Chinese poker until 10:00am, at which point they left my place unlocked. Nice... So I woke up and I might as well have held a house party. There were bottles, cans, food, pizza boxes, and snacks everywhere. The one thing that drove me NUTS though were the beer caps. I was finding beer caps for DAYS after that tournament. In the end it was all worthwhile though and as some people already know I will be hosting another NLD this coming year. The date hasn't been set yet but everyone will know sooner rather than later.

Oh and before I forget. Nobody is able to understand how to get to Pizza Pizza from my parent's place. Apparently "go to the lights. Make a left. Drive until the stop sign. Make a right and you'll see the mall" are mind blowing directions that NOBODY (it's not like it's one bad driver, there have been MANY DRIVERS across all four NLD's) is able to comprehend. I don't know if you have to live in the city to actually see this phantom Pizza Pizza the first go around but it sure seems like it. Lastly, $20 is a fair price to pay for a six piece chicken nugget meal. Just ask Dogberryl.

(Coming up next - London)
  • Arcade LegendArcade Legend - - -All Eyez On Me- - - Joined: Posts: 381
    you guys forgot to mention the first time JSMaster and crew went to ECC, and we talked mad shit to eash other and that weekend everyone accused JSMaster of giving us SARS :looney:

lmao...that was a fun tourney....someone stole our canada flag. downtown ny was fun.........0 visibility...lmao
    i remember using ratio4 rugal was ricky in the tourney.
    Do You Seek Power?

Heroes Get Remembered....But Legends Never Die.
  • JS MasterJS Master FREE breakfast! Joined: Posts: 1,607
    lmao...that was a fun tourney....someone stole our canada flag. downtown ny was fun.........0 visibility...lmao
    i remember using ratio4 rugal was ricky in the tourney.

oh yeah?!!?
    ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?
    Can someone tell me who's the master?
  • heeroheero MTLSF Joined: Posts: 638
    wow it took me an hour to read everything! more please
    the real Woolie: i dont get it explain to me why?
    JimmyBones: blanka cant win....ever!!
  • GerjayGerjay Battleford Tough Joined: Posts: 330
    Why don't you post one? I'm sure you have a crazy story about the ECC you won money from :P
  • heeroheero MTLSF Joined: Posts: 638
    hell no with my engrish
    the real Woolie: i dont get it explain to me why?
    JimmyBones: blanka cant win....ever!!
  • nGumannGuman The Goofy Nguboy Joined: Posts: 1,212
    This was an awesome read for a new and curious player like me lol, FILLY BABY.
    "Even if my fists turn to dust, I would not give up on my quest."
  • hythyt Joined: Posts: 112

That was the best fucking cake ever. Doesn't someone have a picture?
    I've been out of the scene for so long. All I can remember that it started when I got destroyed by Marvin's Megaman tricks in MvC1 when there was an arcade on the first floor of Pacific Mall and what was before Orbit was a 5-bin bowling alley with a bunch of crappy redemption machines. Then there was SRK and the VA/VF crew, then there was Orbit, running tournaments (thx Nagata), and then quitting the scene to play Initial D: Arcade Stage and then quitting that to get a life (but I ended up taking up online poker). Now SF4 is out and I really only play for shits and giggles whenever someone I know is hosting. Modding my Tekken 5 Anniversary Hori with Sanwas and a custom plate is probably the only time I cared about SF in recent memory. Thank god I got that done before LizardLick got RTSDed the fuck out.

That being said, the best memories that I have from TOSF were mainly from the stuff that happened ouside of playing fighting games, and will be listed below:

- NO FEAR (the 3S motto when TO was arguably at its peak)
    - MATCH OF THE MILLENIUM (kymah, wing, I pray that I still have the replay saved on my memory card)
    - My first trip to a US tournament, and meeting the midwest 3S players
    - Jonstar getting a T-Bones sirloin burger with EVERYTHING on it
    - Jon and Sizto arriving in Orbit dressed in similar clothes (team too sexy)
    - "What time is it? FUCK YOU"
    - Hearing Wing's story about working at Tim Hortons and a lady asked for fries (for realz)
    - "GUY IN A SUIT"
    - "Where's my uppercut?"
    - "I'm from out of town eh?"
    - Sitch, the destroyer of japanese arcade parts
    - Shit wasn't Jason the 12 player who was always stoned out of his mind?
    - Annex Subs and Angry Black
    - Chinatown Center and the fobs in the net cafe
    - Clayton = pasty ass white dude from the US who would wear a wifebeater to tournaments and talk about macking innocent asian girls?
    - ATM Spidertao and his super pedo powers (I could swear he looks different from the Korean SF4 tourney vids)
    - Kymah 3: Valle 0
    - roll roll power dunk roll roll power dunk roll roll throw roll roll power dunk...
    - roll roll dostoi roll roll splash roll roll dostoi roll roll oicho...
    - Jonstar getting JDed the fuck out by JuicyG
    - Importing the 3S and CvS2 guides from Japan and learing what FRAME DATA is before most of SRK got on that bandwagon
    - Using the data in the CvS2 guide to make my contribution to SRK and post the Throw Ranges for everyone
    - the wrath of the downtown CvS2 crew (Kam+Luu+the rest of those guys) and the shitstorm that followed on the TO thread (fucking turtles)
    - Running ORBIT regular tournaments (As Nagata can attest, I ran some tourneys before he did, and if you are not made of the right stuff they will grind you and burn you out. Be warned kids!)
    - Nagata, I'm suprised you found that post for SUMMERS END

- Shoutouts: kymah (fat fuck), wing (have you grown yet?), eric (how does someone like you end up dating someone who looks like ar sa from TWINS?), azn bomber (too sexy), barry(-insane), nelson (parry master), robert (only guy in canada who plays cross handed), dogberry (ST bible), ex_matt (how many times u been banned from SRK now?), Andy (KOREA POWER), Dennis Kim (KOREA FUCKING POWER), John Tang (<3 no homo, wouldn't have stepped up my 3S game if it wasn't for you ELITES!), Joe (cool killer!), KinnyGarden, Angel of Rage (superfob), Ron (representing the filipino population), Mana Boy (just for that, I hate you), David Fucking Tran, Prez (can you feel the prez-ence?), Jack aka White Reflection (wtf happened to that guy anyways), Richie (lol that's all I got), David Spence (super duper nice guy that is also a one-man camera crew)

Since someone asked about tapes, I pulled out the drawer of tapes I have and found the following:

- TOSF @ MWC2 part 1 and 2 (3S, CvS2, ST and MK)
    - 2nd Nationals Japan for 3S
    - B4 part 1 and 2
    - labeled "Montreal"
    - ECC6
    - Toronto MvC2 (maybe this is the fabled David Tran tape)
    - US vs Japan 5 on 5
    - ECC7 (I think this was duped off the MTL's capture)
    - March Madness (nfi what year/location)
    - Texas Tourney (nfi what year)
    - Game Newton Cooperator's Cup (on ISO)
    - Summers End SVCD
    For some reason, hyt's post reminded me of znzf/zanzeff... no idea why.
  • JS MasterJS Master FREE breakfast! Joined: Posts: 1,607
    HYT: are u interested in making copies of those tapes? i'm willing to buy them at a cost u see fit if ur willing to do dat.

DaDesiCanadian: lol ZNZF aka best cr.RHXXsuper chunli in T.O!?
    Can someone tell me who's the master?
    Oh fuck, good to see Doug posting!

On something Doug touched on in re: to tapes/vids. I still have a few copies of Summer's End and some other Japanese 3s vcds.
    thx for reminding me about that Jay, added Summers End and the Cooperator's Cup to the list