Art's Hobbies Big Update! 1/32" Acrylic, V.S., Pro, Qanba, HRAP V3/VX, Custom Art Dustwashers.

Comments

• arthongarthong Art's Hobbies - Plexi Dude Joined: Posts: 788
    i just ordered. hope it looks amazing.

I'll make sure you get an extra coat of polish ;)
    Hi arthong, I'm interested in getting some plexi for my HRAP EX later and have you cut out my art too. I'm kind of confused to which template I should be using though. I read through the HRAP2/HRAP3 top panel template thread and I'm getting some conflicting reports with the guide button box being misplaced. Would you have a confirmed HRAP EX template psd anywhere that I could use to map out my art?

The only thing the HRAP templates are good for, for my cutting purposes, is to show me how you want the holes to line up. But other than that, I don't use the guidelines there at all as they are a little off. If you're free hand cutting it won't matter as much, but the laser cutter is pretty precise and those lines being off will mess it up.

So I use my templates so the cuts are exact to size of the plexi. So if you give me the HRAP PSD with all the layers, I'll note where you want the hole placements, but then I'll print it out without any of the holes or guildelines. Then I use my own method to align your cuts to the plexi.

I should probably post a video of how I'm doing this so this will answer a lot of questions =)
    Plexi-covers and Etchings for your TE, HRAP, VSHG & More to come.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/61858/
    My Website : http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 20,835 admin
    Hey Art,

Any idea when custom plexi ordering will be available on your site?
    I have had some dialog with you regarding a custom and I would like
    to talk to you some more regarding a custom cut. Thanks
    Hey Art,

Any idea when custom plexi ordering will be available on your site?
    I have had some dialog with you regarding a custom and I would like
    to talk to you some more regarding a custom cut. Thanks

Hey bud, Let me see how things go after this weekend. I plan to clear out my queue with the entire 48 hrs in the weekend, lol.
  • beastSPLbeastSPL you must drink!! Joined: Posts: 448
    I promised pictures id post pictures when i got it together and here they are! the art is some SD SRW (super robot wars) group picture thats just printed on regular ol paper (office depot didnt have any other option for legal sized paper) ... uhh just regular sanwa snap ins just to show they do alright with the plexi.. but i wish i had screw ins because i didnt want to apply too much pressure to the plexi putting the buttons in. still ok none the less though!

DSC04457.jpg
    DSC04461.jpg
    DSC04462.jpg
    DSC04463.jpg

Thank you Arthong for making a great product and doing stuff like this for the community!!

PS. im really glad i spent the extra 6 dollars for the pattern plexi. when i was cutting my art the knife was known to slip when i was doing the buttons and it sure enough scratched up the plexi.. good stuff!
    modding TEs to do funny things.
    need to add HSS-0130 to my collection!!
  • d_mentiad_mentia Joined: Posts: 203
    Art, would you be willing to make a "Viewlix cut" with 7 button holes?

22658284526e1899fe6fqc8.jpg

like that?
    damn i want to get one but i haven't decided on if i'm keeping the TE i just got or if I should just mod my hori ex pro. maybe i should just get 1 for each.
  • TRiXWoNTRiXWoN Solder Soldier in the 6 Button Army Joined: Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    Hooray

Heres my completed TE with Arthongs plexi on it
    te02f.jpg
    ::Mod till your heart's content::
  • XerymXerym Mo' practice, son Joined: Posts: 85
    Sorry for the noob question:

What's the advantage of using plexiglass than laminating art?
    Laminate will eventually wear down and then you have to replace all the art... if my plexi gets too scratched or something gouges it i dont have to replace the art just the plexi.
  • XerymXerym Mo' practice, son Joined: Posts: 85
  • TsumujiTsumuji Ride the Lightning Loop! Joined: Posts: 735
    Just ordered mine today, paid the extra 8 dollars to get my art cut for me too. I'm not too experienced with cutting art, so it's a great service for someone like me. I'm really excited to get the package in the mail and just drop both the glass and the art on there! Thanks, Art!
    XBL: TsumujiSRK
    Just placed an order for the 7-button Vewlix cut.

Can't wait.
    I promised pictures id post pictures when i got it together and here they are! the art is some SD SRW (super robot wars) group picture thats just printed on regular ol paper (office depot didnt have any other option for legal sized paper) ... uhh just regular sanwa snap ins just to show they do alright with the plexi.. but i wish i had screw ins because i didnt want to apply too much pressure to the plexi putting the buttons in. still ok none the less though!

Thank you Arthong for making a great product and doing stuff like this for the community!!

PS. im really glad i spent the extra 6 dollars for the pattern plexi. when i was cutting my art the knife was known to slip when i was doing the buttons and it sure enough scratched up the plexi.. good stuff!

Wooow, awesome pics dude, and very nicely put together stick. It is stuff like this that makes all the effort worthwhile =D
    Art, would you be willing to make a "Viewlix cut" with 7 button holes?

like that?

Lol, I just put the option up and was about to announce the 7-button layout available. Looks like you found it right away =)

Dude, I see Doraemon in the background!! Nice =D. I've got the same display case, like 3 of them. Got my Gundams, Star Trek, Marvel/DC, and other stuff displayed in those. We should share collector showcasing, lol.
    Just ordered mine today, paid the extra 8 dollars to get my art cut for me too. I'm not too experienced with cutting art, so it's a great service for someone like me. I'm really excited to get the package in the mail and just drop both the glass and the art on there! Thanks, Art!

Thanks man! I'll take pics of your art cutout soon as I get to your order =)
    Would installing the plexi void the warranty?
  • scottindscottind Joined: Posts: 1,518
    quick question

so i can still use the regular snap in buttons? the extra thickness shouldnt affect it in any way?

and YES i'm totally interested in a SE raised acrylic piece. Would it be something that completely replaces the top metal panel?
  • MilkhamMilkham A Decent Breakfast Joined: Posts: 362
  • akuma2kxakuma2kx Joined: Posts: 32
    Pics look great, makes me want to pony up and consider getting a TE stick.
    http://www.youtube.com/daredevil2kx9

"My arms and legs cut like blades." - Guile (SSFIV)
    te02f.jpg

trix,

looks nice! what did you use to color the red bezel(around the plexi) black? i's like to color mine purple. thanks!
    I used Krylon Fusion paint, its supposed to bond with plastic.
    cool...does the paint scratch easily? thanks again...

I'm guessing it does, although I'm not sure how you can tell that it's been tampered with. All you need is to unscrew the top and pop out the buttons and unscrew the ball top. As long as you don't unscrew the mount or other things, I don't see how you can tell it's been opened. Unless I'm missing something. That's just what I noticed when I opened mine up.
    and YES i'm totally interested in a SE raised acrylic piece. Would it be something that completely replaces the top metal panel?

None of the current acrylic covers replace the metal panel. It's simply too thin to take the stress. Not to mention a joystick mount would need to be added to it. However, I've made a pretty thick plexi panel that replaces the metal panel... but I'm talking 1/4" thick and another 1/4" plexi block to mount the joystick. It's still in the testing phase to see how well it can withstand the stress.
    cool...does the paint scratch easily? thanks again...

It is supposed to be dry enough to handle in like 1 minute and completely dry after an hour... and Chip Resistant in 7 days. Unfortunately for me, when i was putting the Hex bolts back in, on the very last one i pushed too hard and the nut thats simply held in place by what feels like a plastic claw, fell out!

So now I had to undo all the bolts, and pull the panel back up and when i set it off the top edge of the stick with all the wires still attached it hit the bezel and scratched it, it was a tiny scratch but i could see the red through it. I just took a black sharpie and filled that tiny line it was so small you can't notice it. I'm real picky and even i can't spot it anymore.

I'll know how chip resistant it really is after 7 days I suppose.:sweat:

Technically yes it does void the warranty but like art said if you don't disconnect anything they won't know. The only way they will know is the joystick's connector has this sticky sorta rubbery like substance over it that you have to remove to disconnect it.

(it was easy to get off with a small straight slot screwdriver)

The buttons though you could take out and they would never know, and you can of course change the ball without disconnecting the stick.

I was painting the bezel so i had to disconnect it. My warantee is almost up anyway its only 90 days...
    It is supposed to be dry enough to handle in like 1 minute and completely dry after an hour... and Chip Resistant in 7 days. Unfortunately for me, when i was putting the Hex bolts back in, on the very last one i pushed too hard and the nut thats simply held in place by what feels like a plastic claw, fell out!

So now I had to undo all the bolts, and pull the panel back up and when i set it off the top edge of the stick with all the wires still attached it hit the bezel and scratched it, it was a tiny scratch but i could see the red through it. I just took a black sharpie and filled that tiny line it was so small you can't notice it. I'm real picky and even i can't spot it anymore.

I'll know how chip resistant it really is after 7 days I suppose.:sweat:

Did you have to sand the bezel down any before applying the paint or did you just wash/dry it first?
  • TyrsisTyrsis I lesbian you Joined: Posts: 317
    Looks so great, I just ordered two :)
    There's always money in the banana stand.
    Did you have to sand the bezel down any before applying the paint or did you just wash/dry it first?

i think you can use vinyl dye instead of paint, no sanding required and it won't chip off and runs dissapear as its absorbed into the plastic.
  • mdsfxmdsfx Joined: Posts: 1,706 ✭✭
    Fits beautifully! Thanks man!! (yes i know the art is EXPECTED, but dammit I wanted a vewlix semi-replica so that's what i went for - common or not)

my_TE.jpg
    OBEY THE JAM
    Technically yes it does void the warranty but like art said if you don't disconnect anything they won't know. The only way they will know is the joystick's connector has this sticky sorta rubbery like substance over it that you have to remove to disconnect it.

(it was easy to get off with a small straight slot screwdriver)

The buttons though you could take out and they would never know, and you can of course change the ball without disconnecting the stick.

I was painting the bezel so i had to disconnect it. My warantee is almost up anyway its only 90 days...

Thanks for the info, I'm in Europe so will have 2 year warrantee, just wanted to make sure not to jeopardise that.
    Very nice, mdsfx

I'm hoping to do something similar with 7 buttons.
  • horsedickhorsedick Joined: Posts: 300
    very nice mdsfx
    PC OWNERS SHOW CAPCOM YOU WANT SSF4 BY NOT BUYING LOST PLANET NOR DEAD RISING,
    since our words go unnoticed , lets take the fight were it hurts them most , there pockets.
    Got my order in tonight for the HRAPex plexi and an art cutout. Awesome response time on Art's part. Thanks much :tup: Lookin forward to gettin this bad boy in and puttin it down on my stick, now if gremlinsolutions would just ship me my buttons and balltop :mad:

I just made sure there was no debris and sprayed away. the can says to use soap and water or paint thinner depending on what plastic you are spraying
    Fits beautifully! Thanks man!! (yes i know the art is EXPECTED, but dammit I wanted a vewlix semi-replica so that's what i went for - common or not)

Dude, that is freakin awesome! That's going on my showcase page =P.
    Got my order in tonight for the HRAPex plexi and an art cutout. Awesome response time on Art's part. Thanks much :tup: Lookin forward to gettin this bad boy in and puttin it down on my stick, now if gremlinsolutions would just ship me my buttons and balltop :mad:

I hear ya. I dunno who to order buttons and sticks from right now, lol. Gremlinsolutions better than Aki?
    I hear ya. I dunno who to order buttons and sticks from right now, lol. Gremlinsolutions better than Aki?

Lol I dunno if their better. not really seeming it right now, they seem to be dodging all my emails regarding my order, but they have my money! The reason I ordered from them was they were open while Aki is close till early next month :sweat:
    Lol I dunno if their better. not really seeming it right now, they seem to be dodging all my emails regarding my order, but they have my money! The reason I ordered from them was they were open while Aki is close till early next month :sweat:

Oh dang! I haven't kept up with the details on Aki, and they're closed too? Goodness... with LL and Aki down, you're right... no choice but to go with Gremlins. Shoot... was going to look into Seimitsu buttons too =P.

Hmmm, wonder if I should expand and get some connections for pushbuttons and sticks when they're available again, lol. Who needs sleep =P
    Oh dang! I haven't kept up with the details on Aki, and they're closed too? Goodness... with LL and Aki down, you're right... no choice but to go with Gremlins. Shoot... was going to look into Seimitsu buttons too =P.

Hmmm, wonder if I should expand and get some connections for pushbuttons and sticks when they're available again, lol. Who needs sleep =P

Lol yeah, Aki, LL, Arcadeshop.de. All closed to online orders (arcadeshop.de just to orders to ship to america...) So basicly tracking down sanwa parts was a biotch =/. But yeah placed my order to Gremlins on the 8th, still haven't gotten even word that they've been shipped, or word from the site specifically that they received my order, just my paypal receipt... you know the more I say this stuff the stupider I feel about ordering from them :chainsaw:

edit: As far as picking up your own stock for distro through your sight, I dunno much about bulk sites, iirc coinopexpress is ok, but most orders at 30+ of sticks and 100+ of buttons
    could try gamingnow.net he's a member here
    could try gamingnow.net he's a member here

Checked out his site. All the good stuff are sold out too =(. It's damn paypal's cart system. It doesn't show you what's sold out until you click to "process order".
    Lol yeah, Aki, LL, Arcadeshop.de. All closed to online orders (arcadeshop.de just to orders to ship to america...) So basicly tracking down sanwa parts was a biotch =/. But yeah placed my order to Gremlins on the 8th, still haven't gotten even word that they've been shipped, or word from the site specifically that they received my order, just my paypal receipt... you know the more I say this stuff the stupider I feel about ordering from them :chainsaw:

edit: As far as picking up your own stock for distro through your sight, I dunno much about bulk sites, iirc coinopexpress is ok, but most orders at 30+ of sticks and 100+ of buttons

Hmmm, maybe they're out of stock but haven't told you about it =(. I say threaten to retract your purchase through paypal dispute and see if they answer you then... Well, that is unless you just want to wait it out and not burn any bridges.

And yeah, buying in bulk... one of the buttons from CoinOp has a minimum of 2400 orders, lol. Good thing they're like $0.20 each, but still, that's half a grand. Overall, if they were available and the demand is still high, it's not a bad investment. Sok, I stick to plexi's. =)
  • Lt_Col_SandersLt_Col_Sanders White Castle Stormer Joined: Posts: 559

Thanks Arthur!

Whoo hoo! Wow, you went all out and painted the whole thing. What type of paint did you use?
  • Lt_Col_SandersLt_Col_Sanders White Castle Stormer Joined: Posts: 559
    Oh, yeah! I figured that if I wanted to do an art mod I should just go the whole nine. Blue Krylon Fusion for the body. The trim parts I used a krylon primer, silver, gold, and clear coat to seal it. Using the fusion type I found isn't really necessary unless you don't feel like using a primer. It seems pretty durable, but the parts where I used plain ol krylon paint turned out much smoother and bonded just as well to the plastic. I think the fusion brand is a scam to get white folks to paint their patio furniture. (at least that's what the guy on the can was doing)

http://g.imagehost.org/0238/my_TE.jpg

sweet!! mind throwing up the viewlix art?

Try Modchipman, they have some clear seimitsus now and a decent selection of sanwas, ive ordered from them like 4 times already got 2 JLF's a mounting plate some shaft covers, and a few buttons, they always ship fast.
    Is it possible that you could add military APO AP to you website.. I am in Japan and would like to place a order.
    Hey Arthur thanks for the plexiglass. Here's my C. Viper artwork with your TE Plexiglass!!
    DSC00507.jpg
    Try Modchipman, they have some clear seimitsus now and a decent selection of sanwas, ive ordered from them like 4 times already got 2 JLF's a mounting plate some shaft covers, and a few buttons, they always ship fast.

Damnit, I apparently missed it. Shows up as out of stock right now, doh! Thanks though. I'll keep that around as another source.
    Is it possible that you could add military APO AP to you website.. I am in Japan and would like to place a order.

Hey CPU, can you pm me the full shipping address? I don't really see a separate option to check on APO pricing. I may need to plug in your full address to get a better idea. Thanks!
    Hey Arthur thanks for the plexiglass. Here's my C. Viper artwork with your TE Plexiglass!!

Nicely done! More for my collection =). Thanks again man!
  • poonagepoonage not ryan harvey Joined: Posts: 1,403

Common or not, I want your Vewlix artwork on my sticks. How can I get it from you :)
    The background is favored in this matchup.
  • horsedickhorsedick Joined: Posts: 300
    [QUOTE=Lt_Col_Sanders

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/soundwavewill/100_1710.jpg

Thanks Arthur![/QUOTE]

nice stick bro, what did you use to paint the casing?

any sort of undercoat or special paint?
    Arthur dont forget about me bro, still await your message.
    PC OWNERS SHOW CAPCOM YOU WANT SSF4 BY NOT BUYING LOST PLANET NOR DEAD RISING,
    since our words go unnoticed , lets take the fight were it hurts them most , there pockets.
  • JesseD50JesseD50 Joined: Posts: 13
    3465091618_b3692e5682.jpg3465092202_bfa0066900.jpg3464276955_76b7e99f77.jpg3465093338_1f6a035571.jpg3465093846_dc196aabd3.jpg3465094244_5211ddbe15.jpg3465094602_c5b5b26721.jpg3465094884_8c45347163.jpg3464279751_65f0f67989.jpg Thanks man, I'm very satisfied, everything fit very well! The Plexi and art cut were perfect!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/21298197@N06/
  • gl0rygl0ry In Your Face Joined: Posts: 1,080
    For those with the plexi already, I just wanted to ask.

Is the protrusion at all bothersome? Is it noticeable while playing? I can get irritated if I play on a surface i'm uncomfortable with, so it's important for me to ask.

Another question is do the buttons completely snap in? I think I remember you saying they didnt, but wanted to double check.