Chun-li Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

Comments

• wildDogPizzawildDogPizza Joined: Posts: 123
    I have a question about block strings. With certain characters like Sakura, it seems like there's nothing I can do, like if I do anything but just block, I get blown up. It seems to me that if I block, like they should be negative and I should have some option, but it seems like certain characters, that's not the case? Like my friend's Abel, He does this like pretty much constantly, like as soon as he's close enough to throw an attack, I will either get hit or counter, but if I block I am like stuck blocking and it seems like he can just keep me there blocking normals until he command grabs with his dirty mixup.

It seems like I should be able to mash legs in block stun to get out of this but if I press buttons I get blown up? I get so pissed I'll start pushing him across the screen with jabs (I used to do this in sf2 with st mp, then tick throw when people start fighting dirty) trying to give him a feel for this crap, but Abel's damage makes it not work very well, like he can buffer tornado throw and that's done. I'm like at a loss, not being able to zone this character out, and i'm taking massive damage anytime he ensnares me with a blocked normal. Like I can only win with insane pressure of my own, but usually that gets ultra'd. Any insight as to how to deal with this is greatly appreciated.
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    That's SF4 for you. Sometiimes the best course of action is to block. Better get thrown (or at least react to the throw - it's called a "late tech" I believe) than to risk pressing buttons and eating more damage de to a counter hit combo. Don't lose your cool or your patience; don't sweat it especially if you're just starting out.

Keeping just the right distance vs characters like Abel takes time. As you alluded to, if zoning him doesn't 100% work, then it may be time to go in and put the pressure on him. Better him than you.

The newer-ish matchup thread may help, as does watching more match vids.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/187398/the-daily-matchup/p1
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,789
    edited February 2015
    I have a question about block strings. With certain characters like Sakura, it seems like there's nothing I can do, like if I do anything but just block, I get blown up. It seems to me that if I block, like they should be negative and I should have some option, but it seems like certain characters, that's not the case? Like my friend's Abel, He does this like pretty much constantly, like as soon as he's close enough to throw an attack, I will either get hit or counter, but if I block I am like stuck blocking and it seems like he can just keep me there blocking normals until he command grabs with his dirty mixup.

It seems like I should be able to mash legs in block stun to get out of this but if I press buttons I get blown up? I get so pissed I'll start pushing him across the screen with jabs (I used to do this in sf2 with st mp, then tick throw when people start fighting dirty) trying to give him a feel for this crap, but Abel's damage makes it not work very well, like he can buffer tornado throw and that's done. I'm like at a loss, not being able to zone this character out, and i'm taking massive damage anytime he ensnares me with a blocked normal. Like I can only win with insane pressure of my own, but usually that gets ultra'd. Any insight as to how to deal with this is greatly appreciated.

EX SBK will be your friend here, just don't overdo it or you will get baited.

You mentioned that you feel like you should be able to mash Legs in these situations... that is not the case a lot of the time because Lightning Legs and EX Legs have no invincibility on startup and will get stuffed by frame traps (which is what is going on half the time when you block a move). Some normal moves, when blocked, will allow the opponent to still act before you can act (frame advantage), but a lot of times, unless it's a chained string of normals like rapid jabs or a target combo, there will be a slight gap between the move you just blocked and the opponent's next attack.

Usually these gaps are too small to let you just press a normal in between and you'll get counter hit by the opponent's 2nd move. However, if you use an invincible reversal move (EX SBK in this case.. NOT EX legs), you will beat the 2nd attack instead because the invincibility frames will avoid it and then the attacking portion of EX SBK will hit the opponent while they are still in recovery.

When you don't have EX SBK available, you'll have to block it out more until either they push themselves out enough for you to act or you tech a grab. If there's space behind you though you can also backdash/focus backdash away because backdashes also have invincibility on startup, so they avoid a lot of things. Chun Li has the best backdash in the game too, so it's annoying for people who don't know how to deal with it properly (either through option-select, or hard reads on it).
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • RayartzRayartz Hosenka Reversal Yo! Joined: Posts: 1,792
    Anyone thinking about SFV beta?
    I usually hate pre-ordering, but it may be a decent opportunity to fool around with Chun-V
    Chun Li, Juri and Laura - Loyalty for LIFE!
    SFV Goals: To be competent with every character and help others do the same!
    Overwatch: Tracer, D.Va, Junkrat, Mercy, Mei
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    My friend already has a bunch of PS4's in preparation for the USF4 transition/new tournament standard. I might get SF5 (and the pre-order and beta perks) via him when the time comes. :blush:
  • mrtom82mrtom82 Joined: Posts: 138
    edited March 2015
    I really need some advice on the geif matchup.

I can handle geif with little trouble until that big bastard has ultra 2. If he gets a knockdown I feel completely helpless and i've lost too many matches that I was winning because of this. I can't back dash, sbn, hazanshu or jump for fear of eating a u2 so I just block but then I risk eating an spd and the cycle continues. Any tips on how I can escape safely?

I guess I'm just not sure how his u2 works. Does he have to be in the air to catch me?
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,926
    Often times I just block. The best option is to not be there in the first place
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • Laughter 7Laughter 7 Joined: Posts: 564
    A combo I've seen Valmaster and Infiltration use a lot with Chunners is c.LP, c. LP, c.MK xx EX Legs. This seems tricky to do. What are the exact inputs to get the EX Legs to come out?
  • BilerotBilerot Joined: Posts: 78
    most of the time it´s crouch tech (resulting in an cr. LK) and then cr. LP. cr. MK xx EX legs. Btw this is the optimal BNB after crouch tech which every Chun should use. Or go into HP without Meter or into cl. HK or cr. HP frametrap.
    cr. MK only links after cr. LP, thats why you can´t just go on with the cr. LKs.
    It´s a 2 frame link, but I mess it up more often than I want to admit.

How to get the ex legs out?
    There are many, many possibilities:
    a) just slide to the left and then to the right MK, LK, MK, HK, 3K
    b) Piano (cr. MK. LK. MK. HK, 2 Kicks or cr, MK HK MK LK 2 Kicks)
    c) Plink (which makes also the link to cr. MK easier) Cr, MK with LK, either this times 3 or plink, then slide, or plink, then piano

Just try out the different methods and see what feels most natural to you and wich gives you the most success.
    i slide for cr.mk legs its pretty easy
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    Thanks guys. What about crouch HP xx MK Legs into another crouch HP xx EX Legs? I'm having trouble getting the EX to come out.
    You can do the "dirty slide" method where you pass over each kick button twice.
    The only way I can seem to get it is to try to plink the first two inputs (i.e., HP, c.MK) and piano the rest, but do the piano so quickly at the end that the last two inputs (i.e., c.MK, c.LK) plink. But even then the EX Legs only comes out sometimes.
    As per suggestion of @Malvadisco from the old talks we had, you could set your 3k button in place of hk, or keep a 3k button somehwere to make sure you get EX/U1 with minimal probs

I actually get EX more than normal legs, so sliding/pianoning faster than usual does lend itself to EX's
  • Machete_MabiniMachete_Mabini Joined: Posts: 4
    Hey guys, forgive me for being lazy, little short on time and didn't get a chance to search the forums. I needed help generally with getting in with Chun. For example defensive shootos keep me out with fireballs and focus absorb my hyzanshu when I'm in range, or dp by floaty jump in. I could focus cancel absorb the fireballs and poke, but typically I get punished because my friend tends to focus when I start getting close and punishes my pokes or huzanshus. Only time I get in is if I have a good read on the fireball and hyzanshu or ex hyzanshu a focus. Could you guys give me some tips or links? Much thanks!
    Hey guys, forgive me for being lazy, little short on time and didn't get a chance to search the forums. I needed help generally with getting in with Chun. For example defensive shootos keep me out with fireballs and focus absorb my hyzanshu when I'm in range, or dp by floaty jump in. I could focus cancel absorb the fireballs and poke, but typically I get punished because my friend tends to focus when I start getting close and punishes my pokes or huzanshus. Only time I get in is if I have a good read on the fireball and hyzanshu or ex hyzanshu a focus. Could you guys give me some tips or links? Much thanks!

This is an old post I made and it's from the POV or a Ryu player, but Chun-Li players can make uses of the links/vids I posted and figure out how to crack their local shotos. :blush:

Don't lose patience, and jumping is only a last resort. Taking time to read someone's habits takes time, so don't be too hard on yourself if you can't do it right away.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/8787255/#Comment_8787255
    Regular HSU vs a focus is a bad idea btw, you'll probably eat a full combo that way. Learn to get reads and jump if it's too obvious, or if you have to HSU make sure that it's vs a punishable fireball or another high recovery move.
    Thank you sincerely for the great post and quick response! I was in denial, and I see it now that my lack of patience is what's getting the better of me. thanks for the suggestions to flip kick on good read fireballs and not doing them vs focus. As I get to the lab to practice, what are some other good tactics to walk in and poke against a focusing opponent that you could suggest? My st.hp and st&cr.mp and properly spaced sweeps are still getting punished by focus attacks after absorption (while playing footsies). Currently, I use my Kikoken and move behind it or ex Kikoken in anticipation of focusing (besides my already stated ex flip kick).
    Mix it up a little. If your pokes are getting FA'd/your moves get punished easily, you might be a little too predictable with your approach.
    Chun has good walk and dash speed, take full advantage of that. :blush:

Lightning Kick is good against non-red focus attacks as well. You can also try throws if your opponent doesn't release fast enough, and see how they respond to that
    Thanks, can't thank you enough. Feels like an epiphany when you explain it, but no matter how many videos I've watched, still couldn't comprehend them. Thanks again!
  • wildDogPizzawildDogPizza Joined: Posts: 123
    If they are eager to focus your pokes, you can do st mp, cr mk, or cr hp and cancel to hsu to mix it up.
    Anybody see that 'unblockable' Valmaster was using in his match against Andreas at FFM Rumble 8? It looked like jump LP hits wrong side in corner or something.

@Malvadisco says it's j. lp/j. lk reverse blockables that can catch many people off guard.
  • MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    just lol, just lol
    CARACOLES
  • redneonredneon Joined: Posts: 10
    Scrub question here, no doubt. Loads of combos begin with j.hp x2 and I've got quite a few in my arsenal through training mode but I'm finding limited opportunities to use them in game due to the risk of anti-airs (particularly against shotos). What's the solution? As a result I'm spending time now trying to get a good set of ground based combos under my belt as I just don't want to risk jumping in. And even when I do, it's usually as a cross up so I'm comboing of an lk cross up, rather than j.hp x2.
  • DaymanMasterOfKarateDaymanMasterOfKarate Joined: Posts: 461
    In training room I was looking for stuff to do off forward throw, I found you can dash up and either cross up with j.lk or go in front with j.hp TC.

You can also only do one hit of it if you think they will block and do a mixup, emptyjump mixup, whatevs. I did not test it against fast reversals though it was beating ultras online at least.

I think after EX legs if they tech the KD you can also do it.
    use her jumping tc for setups or air to airs.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • RayartzRayartz Hosenka Reversal Yo! Joined: Posts: 1,792
    edited June 2015
    Redneon:
    Reason for TC HP
    J. HP x 2:
    Land into throw for safe jump setups
    Land into Lk. HSU
    Cr. LK into EX LLegs Combos
    Cr. Lp, St. Hp combos
    Cr.Hp xx LLegs or SBK Combos
    Cl.St.Hk xx LLegs or EX LLegs or LK Hsu combos
    A fair instant overhead is land TC HP x 2 and then Jump back HK

J. Hp x 1: Say they are consistently blocking your TC HP x 2
    Land into throw for safe jump setups
    Land into LK HU
    Cr. LK into EX LLegs Combos
    Cr. Lp, St. Hp combos
    Cl.St.Hk into stuff (this is good for fishing out counterhits

Pretty well the same things - A sweet Super set up. TC HP, Cl.St.Hk xx HP Kikouken xx Super will no doubt lay a hurting on any cast member.
    If your opponent is solid with anti-airs for course it is not a good idea to jump, but you can for the issue on the pressure game.
    say for example you've just done St. MP xx Kikouken (FADC) or delay your jump after the kikouken, while they are still blocking the kikouken you could be coming down with TC HP or a real gutsy thing is neutral jump their wakeup with TC HP. Doesn't work against masher though.

Offline these tactics are solid where players would rather block and play with composure
    Online where 90% of the people playing just don't care - you'll get reversaled or wake up Ultra etc., So I'll quote Gooteck loosely, be sure you know what kind of PERSON you are playing, not a player but a person, haha.
    Chun Li, Juri and Laura - Loyalty for LIFE!
    SFV Goals: To be competent with every character and help others do the same!
    Overwatch: Tracer, D.Va, Junkrat, Mercy, Mei
    Nice one, thanks. Is "tc" just the term for jump in? Member of the forum for 6 years and still scrubbing it out :D

My issue mainly is with characters with good anti-airs, particularly shotos. j.hp is prime position to eat a dp so I normally only attempt it after knockdown but, obviously, this won't work against anyone with a good wake up reversal like Ryu/Ken. Eating more wake up dps. I like the idea of throwing out a kikoken though and trying some mixups on block with it. I'll definitely try that out.
    Tc means target combo. In Chun-Li's case, the jumping hp attack. Normally 2-hit, but you can opt to have it 1-hit only
    Yeah, I worked it out in the end. I actually posted a few duplicate replies as I didn't think they were getting posted. Turns out they were sent for moderation and it was only in the first one (the one posted above) where I hadn't worked out what TC was :dizzy:
  • DasblackmanDasblackman Currently Aeriqui on all platforms Joined: Posts: 118
    Hey guys, getting back into SF and really been liking Chun. What do you guys usually use for anti-airs? Also, for EX SBK, is there a certain time you have to input it so it doesn't get stuffed? I try to use it when people jump in, but most times it never comes out
  • ExvarisExvaris Arcade ∞ Joined: Posts: 2,879
    Chun has a lot of anti-airs for various distances. The most common are probably st.HP and st.MK, though any of the following also have their situational uses for anti-airs:

- cr.HP (for certain angles/jumpins, also can be cancelled into fireball for extra pressure when they land)
    - cr.MP (especially against shotos)
    - df+LK (for juggles with dash up EX Legs or U2)
    - st.LP (against divekicks especially)
    - f.st.HK (pre-emptive as they're leaving the ground)
    - cl.st.HK (as they're coming down)

Anti-airing as Chun was one of the hardest things for me to learn initially. I generally recommend just using st.HP and st.MK most of the time and getting comfortable with those ranges - st.MK for close jumpins and st.HP for far jump-ins.

As for your EX SBK question, it gets stuffed easily. It only has invincibility out to the sides, but not in the center, so against deep jumpins (especially dive kicks) it gets beaten a lot.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it never comes out" though. As in the move itself doesn't come out, or it gets beaten? If it's not coming out, that's a matter of execution and/or having enough charge time.
    «勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。»
    "Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    ---
  • DasblackmanDasblackman Currently Aeriqui on all platforms Joined: Posts: 118
    Thanks for the information! I'll practice those and look into EX SBK. I didn't know where the invincibility was so that might be the problem
    You can also go air-to-air as Chun vs jumpins. J. Hp (both neutral and target combo), j. Hk, and air throw
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,789
    EX SBK has full invincibility for the 1st 8 frames and the 1st active hitbox hits on the 6th frame. It's not invincibility that's the problem, it's the hitboxes from the move that can be avoided by some jumpins (they are at the sides but not the center, but that has nothing to do with invincibility). Usually timing it later (provided they aren't doing a safejump specifically made to bait it) will remedy this as they'll be closer to your hitboxes. Doing it too early means you usually run out of invincibility before they even reach you and your hitbox may be on the opposite side of them right as they reach the ground... then you get stuffed or they avoid it.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • TenryugaTenryuga New Challenger Joined: Posts: 22
    Sup guys; I'm new here and was interested in playing as Chun-li. What are the most important things for a beginner Chun-li to get down? What does she have in terms of simple blockstrings / frame traps?
    Tenryuga wrote: »
    Sup guys; I'm new here and was interested in playing as Chun-li. What are the most important things for a beginner Chun-li to get down? What does she have in terms of simple blockstrings / frame traps?

I hope these help :3

• MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    the last video is a little sloopy with some info...
    CARACOLES
    Yeah, I think that one just wants to give you the basics and is not really through the eyes of a Chun main or someone who wants to be.