R.i.p st

Comments

• OktopuSOktopuS Joined: Posts: 52
    i miss the whole scene that surrounded this game when it had first dropped. to be honest its still one of the best.
  • Joe KochJoe Koch Shin Mecha O. Koch Joined: Posts: 22
    ST: Still Tits.
  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    shit is nice, but needs more cowbell.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Ah shit..    
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,722
    The necro-thread has risen.
  • ShirtsShirts Former Video Game Player Joined: Posts: 519
    Maybe I misspoke? lol.
  • cammy-whitecammy-white Joined: Posts: 748
    I doubt it, ST rooms still only capping @ 50 Unless there's a big Online Event, like Kuro's King Of GGPO people come out for that because him and Arturo spread word fast, Room will stay alive after that at about 100 for a few days and drop in numbers again with only the regulars.

ST Is still dead.
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,171
    I try not to post in this thread unless it's already bumped to the very top. But there are efforts to Revive ST. Having a post at the very top saying RIP ST or ST is dead isn't really helping. Lets treat this as we were building a community from scratch. No more mentioning how the game is "dead" just the "speed at which it is growing" or "lack of growth" or something to that affect... just watch our words here. you can still talk about it, but the language you use will affect people's decision about whether to play this game or not. "dead" is not a word I'd like to see floating around. Sure, you can talk about it, just try to find softer ways of expressing it.

I mean seriously, this thread was two years old before someone bumped it. This is OLD NEWS for the people who it matters to and isn't exactly groundbreaking. All it does is hinder the efforts of Revivals, (and revival on it's own indicates the game was on a decline so even people starting to get into this know what they're getting into) I personally just don't want to leave any negative impressions, or give these people more pessimism. We want optimism and hype.

With that said, Don't just use online numbers. Check the SoCal revival thread. Check the interest in the T.O thread I recently made. There is interest in these games, We can build a rebuild the community as if it was a new game. Eventually this will translate to online numbers as well. But my personal goal is the offline scene. As good as GGPO is, it doesn't quite cut it. There's a speed difference to compensate for the lag, which messes up my timing. and it feels faster at the regular speeds... well, because of the lag.
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
    Even Shirts, the guy who originally posted this thread, claims that maybe he misspoke. The revival is still ongoing on both coasts, and the majority of players are not on GGPO and hardly even post on srk. It's unfair to claim that ST is dead based on the numbers we have on GGPO, its more important to look at offline tournament numbers to determine that.
  • SotoSoto The un-safe jump master. ~FrankieSnow~ Joined: Posts: 244
    If you play the game and like it and have fun with it means it`s alive foo.
    even with the scene offline it's not big enough to be considered live, there's more ggpo players then there are offline atm.
    even with the scene offline it's not big enough to be considered live, there's more ggpo players then there are offline atm.

Well as long as it's still being played competitively, it's alive to me. It's still worth an effort to continue attempting to bring in newer players and trying to prolong the life of ST as long as we can.
  • -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276
    I doubt it, ST rooms still only capping @ 50 Unless there's a big Online Event, like Kuro's King Of GGPO people come out for that because him and Arturo spread word fast, Room will stay alive after that at about 100 for a few days and drop in numbers again with only the regulars.

ST Is still dead.

theres plenty of ppl playing it on GGPO, overall theres at least 500 players,u saying the capping @ 50 is a very ignorant statement. theres is easily more than 100 players in each time zone: North America players, Asia/Australia, Europe, South America.
    <blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!
    Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
    theres plenty of ppl playing it on GGPO, overall theres at least 500 players,u saying the capping @ 50 is a very ignorant statement. theres is easily more than 100 players in each time zone: North America players, Asia/Australia, Europe, South America.

There's 50 players on ggpo, The room caps at 50 what's so hard to understand about that the fact your mind can't comprehend what I said is very ignorant there might be 100 players but only 50 get on at room cap. Different players different time zones room still caps at 50.

ST is dead, Sure I still play it and who doesn't love the competitiveness but face facts, ST Players are stubborn.
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101
    If you want to comment on the state of offline ST, please take the time to attend a couple of offline tournaments and form a firsthand opinion. Or check out supersf2turbo's YouTube channel where he diligent uploads videos from multiple events each week.

If you want to comment on the state of online ST, please don't forget about different people in the world coming on at different times or about the folks on HDR classic. Weekdays are likely different but I've started playing GGPO on Saturdays again and haven't seen under 50 yet...

"Dead" is a word that can be used objectively or subjectively. Objectively, the ST scene is clearly not dead since the game is still held at tourneys and has achieved similar numbers since it was first created. Online, you can always find a match no matter what time of day. Subjectively, ST has larger tourney entrant numbers than just about every fighter beyond the 3 games from last year. ST on GGPO is still one of the biggest rooms and participation hasn't really changed much since late 2009. I suppose it's dead if you have Super Bowl expectations though.

I can never understand why a few of the folks who started SF2 during GGPO or HDR's golden days are all doom and gloom now. Perhaps a fresher perspective would help.
    50 players cap, u want to make it look like thats the total number of players who use GGPO. LOL

500 overall online players is far from dead for a 17 (soon to be 18) yrs old game, keep trying harder
    Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
  • KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴ Joined: Posts: 891
    I can never understand why a few of the folks who started SF2 during GGPO or HDR's golden days are all doom and gloom now. Perhaps a fresher perspective would help.

The perception started when HDR was removed from EVO. And soon after, ST and HDR became side tournaments at most majors.

That perception does hurt the game but most of the top talent is still around so it doesn't really matter if tournaments are official or side tournaments now. That's why it keeps getting stressed that players need to go out and show up to tournaments and keep supporting the offline scene.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

www.strevival.com | STR Facebook | Twitter
  • zaspacerzaspacer Joined: Posts: 553
    ST is dead, Sure I still play it and who doesn't love the competitiveness but face facts, ST Players are stubborn.

"ST is dead" as it is used here is a stupid statement to make.

It is inaccurate when describing ST given you can still find competitive/healthy games in various ST scenes (online, tournament, arcade), and it mucks up use of the term "dead" for games that are truly unavailable for play.

1) Save the term "dead" for games that literally aren't supported, are supported but are ghost towns (can't find games), etc. Otherwise, you just contribute to making the term "dead" worthless because it starts to take on ambiguous meaning. There are plenty of games I like which are indeed "dead" because I can't play them anymore (not supported anywhere, or they are there but nobody plays and can't find a game to join, etc.). There are also games that aren't totally "dead" but are unavailable/"dead" outside limited access pockets (limited geography arcade, online only, tournament only, etc.)(games that aren't dead, but certain ways to play them are dead like Battlefront II on XBL).

I think maybe too many tweens see a game not commanding hordes of players and their larva angst compels them to cry out that it's dead. Because they haven't actually lived through a time when certain games just weren't available to be played at all, so they start mislabeling cause they have no frame of reference.

2) Using the term "dead" (as many have pointed out here) inaccurately labels the current ST scene. You can find good games on the PC online, in periodic regional tournaments, and in arcade/playgroups in limited select locations (mostly in Japan). In addition, the quality of players still playing is arguably the highest skill level it has ever been.
    streetfighterdojo.com - video library of top players

It is inaccurate when describing ST given you can still find competitive/healthy games in various ST scenes (online, tournament, arcade), and it mucks up use of the term "dead" for games that are truly unavailable for play.

This. A game doesn't need to pull in 4-digit cash prizes and be on stream at Evo in order to be cosnidered alive. As long as there's healthy competition in any environment, be it offline or online, its still considered very much alive.

Let's just keep it simple. If people hold consistent tournaments for a game, it's not dead.
    [snip]

This makes me proud to be a part of the ST community.

Can someone please close this thread and Take page 6 and lable the new thread something along the lines of "ST Activity Discussion" again, trying to avoid the word dead, phrases like r.i.p. etc...

because seriously, people replying/bumping this thread and it showing up on "recently active threads" on the top of the page is again, not helping the image and perception. and it DOES hurt the game. (which is the point I was trying to make when I first posted here. also

The perception started when HDR was removed from EVO. And soon after, ST and HDR became side tournaments at most majors.

That perception does hurt the game but most of the top talent is still around so it doesn't really matter if tournaments are official or side tournaments now. That's why it keeps getting stressed that players need to go out and show up to tournaments and keep supporting the offline scene.

So again, We can rebuild the scene but lets not hurt the image much more than it has been already
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
    Im sure ST will be alive for at least another 20 yrs, n SF4 will be 3 feet under by then :)
  • moocusmoocus internets? Joined: Posts: 869
    only 3 feet due to the hasty burial.
  • ANaqviANaqvi Joined: Posts: 83
    I'm a st fan but it's silly for st players(referring to those who have never played/learned sf4) to dismiss sf4 as a bad game that will lose popularity. How can some ST players be so certain sf4 is a bad game if they have never even taken the time to learn or even play it? Once upon a time st was the "new" game. It would be similar to dismissing st as a bad new fad game when it came out and sticking to hf or ce. Who knows how long sf4 popularity will last, but right now it goes without saying that it is much more popular than st. Great players like daigo and valle enjoy the game. No I'm not saying jut because they play it, you have to.
    It does show you can learn new games while still staying true to st though.
    shotosallday
    Outturtled
    Bach
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    snip
    What the fuck are you taking about? Who the fuck told you we haven't played SF4? Who the fuck told you Daigo and Valle actually enjoy the game, instead of just playing it for the prizes and cos of having lots of people to play against? You are wrong in many senses, and assuming too much. Way too much, in fact.
    What the fuck are you taking about? Who the fuck told you we haven't played SF4? Who the fuck told you Daigo and Valle actually enjoy the game, instead of just playing it for the prizes and cos of having lots of people to play against? You are wrong in many senses, and assuming too much. Way too much, in fact.
    Maj: Which ones were your favorite to play?
    CaliPower: A2/A3 and Tekken 3.

Maj: How about now?
    CaliPower: I like SF4 and Tekken 6 right now.

Maj: Be honest, what do you think of SF4?
    ....As I continued playing this basic game, it became clear to me that the things I loved in the past are actually here. Why mess with a good formula?

there are st players who speak badly about sf4 who have never even played it. And some have barely played it without getting into it to see what kind of game it is. i should have said some.
    btw. you're not a tough guy for cursing...
    shotosallday
    Outturtled
    Bach
    Im glad i evoked an emotional response from you.
    shotosallday
    Outturtled
    Bach
  • philcitophilcito The Berserker Shoto Joined: Posts: 1,178
    I think sfiv games are casual fighting games... but.

Daigo admitted that he prefers sfiv games over st, st is his second favorite sf game (sorry i don't have a link to the interview), but he said he prefers sfiv on a srk article if i'm not wrong.
    "You hit coins at the same time as punch, just like philcito does". Bookah
    " I don't snore and I shower daily". Rekkaken

The Crew - www.nohonorcrew.com/
    so oldschool...wtf are you talking about? lol
    shotosallday
    Outturtled
    Bach
  • philcitophilcito The Berserker Shoto Joined: Posts: 1,178
    anyway... ST > JabEasyCombosEasyReversalsNoobFriendly Fighter IV
    "You hit coins at the same time as punch, just like philcito does". Bookah
    " I don't snore and I shower daily". Rekkaken

The Crew - www.nohonorcrew.com/
    Officially, if Valle talks to the press, since his business relies on the support and funding from Capcom, I'm pretty sure he has to promote it in a positive light. But since he is actively playing it in competitions right now, I'm sure he does enjoy it to some degree as well.

As far as ST lasting another 20 years, I don't see that happening. Not to be a pessimist, but I think ST's fate was sealed along with HDR when HDR died. To me, I think that was the only source of getting new players involved. I myself am a perfect example of that. If not for HDR, I would have never opened up to ST. I was the hyper fighting guy complaining about bailout supers and other ST changes that I didn't agree with at the time. With no new players coming in, it's impossible to keep this thing going for long. Once we current active members start getting too old or stop having time to show up to events, the ST scene will go quietly into the night.

On a brighter note, I did notice at the last SCR tourny, a lot of guys on GGPO actually came out. Shout outs to DBOStick, NNNN, and Fromo. If more guys from GGPO start coming out, things might change and more players might get interested.
    Ah shit..    
  • BonkiBonki Ruff Joined: Posts: 32
    Hmph.. SF4 X]
    RЯRЯRUF! !! !! ! !!!
  • F-A-M-I-L-Y ManF-A-M-I-L-Y Man feedin you and feedin you Joined: Posts: 229
    I think it's more accurate to say that ST has cancer, and we're not sure if it's malignant or benign and it might go into remission but there's always that threat that it could come back to kill at any minute.
    Daigo admitted that he prefers sfiv games over st, st is his second favorite sf game (sorry i don't have a link to the interview), but he said he prefers sfiv on a srk article if i'm not wrong.

#1 Ryu in SFIV - Daigo
    #1 Ryu in ST - ShootingD

Maybe he's just salty...
    GGPO: Pillowhashi
    i obviously can't speak for daigo and valle (who cares, anyway? you're kind of a dumbass if you're swayed to like something just because the "cool guys" do), but it's pretty naive to think that st players hate sf4 just "because". i tried to learn that game, i really did, and i fucking hate almost everything about it. many other st guys are in the same camp. i'm not going to waste the little time i have trying to learn a game that i don't enjoy playing just because everybody else likes it. i have st, and i plan on riding with it to the bitter end.
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    I'm a st fan but it's silly for st players(referring to those who have never played/learned sf4) to dismiss sf4 as a bad game that will lose popularity. How can some ST players be so certain sf4 is a bad game if they have never even taken the time to learn or even play it? Once upon a time st was the "new" game. It would be similar to dismissing st as a bad new fad game when it came out and sticking to hf or ce. Who knows how long sf4 popularity will last, but right now it goes without saying that it is much more popular than st. Great players like daigo and valle enjoy the game. No I'm not saying jut because they play it, you have to.
    It does show you can learn new games while still staying true to st though.

I mentioned this many times on ggpo. I really wish capcom can patch sf4 such that it is really a true sequel to the sf2 series.
    So we can all forget about this 20 years old game, and everyone can play the same game.

Stuff that kinda work in sf4

The ground game, and ground footsies.

Stuffs that don't quite work out

Damage and damage scaling
    Messed up block string
    Everything combo from cr jab x 2
    Backdash and jump away from throw setup.
    Meaty sucks (except cr jab x 2)
    A lot of hitbox trades. Rock Paper Scissor mind games for normals still work for some moves, but it is no where like what we have in sf2.
    Special moves suck without EX meter. Trades with jump in + pathetic damage.
    Because special moves suck without meter. Meter building so slowly for most character is annoying.
    Reversal sucks because of the damage vs eating a ultra setup when baited. So people play very defensively.
    Slow peace (various reason, not just the game speed).
    No damage tech throw is very bad design. Game is already slow and defensive as is.
    Slow throw animation and ultra animation complete kills the momentum of the game.
    unrealistically hard link combos vs super easy special moves.
    because of the link combos, 4 is a game made for grinding in the training mode, if you want to compete.

Zass:
    Whoever makes the most big mistakes will lose. I see players fixating on small mistakes “I can’t do the 40% damage hard combo, I can only do the 30% damage easy combo” when they are still making big mistakes (Jumping in for no reason). Fix your big mistakes, don’t worry about the small mistakes. A good player to be inspired by here is Graham Wolfe. Graham doesn’t do flashy combos. If you watch him play, you might not even think he’s that good because you don’t see crazy max damage combos.

I don’t know that I will ever have the pure raw technical ability of Afrolegends, or the incredible precision of Akishima. But when I see Graham play, I am inspired because I think “I can do that. I could actually do that”. He’s doing human things, and winning. Graham doesn’t land every combo, he messes up occasionally. But you can see in his play a superb understanding of the key points of a match. He smartly focuses on what is the most effective thing to do. If there is any player on this list who is the best role model, I would say it’s Graham. Many players see Daigo and then spend hours in training mode trying to hit that parry.

See the above applies to sf2 but in 4 you gotta grind & grind to place well in EVO.
    I supposed if you want to do well in ST @ SBO you also need to be much more consistent in your execution than what zass described above. But without the retarded damage scaling, the effect of your 90% execution vs japan's 99% execution is not that apparent in ST vs SF4.

The list about 4 goes on and on...

Best thing about 4 is the competition and running in latest console + arcade + PC.
    I also like more characters (although only <50% of characters you'll see in tourney).

IIRC daigo said he likes ST because of how long he played it and he learned most of the fundamentals from it.
    He liked 4 coz he became a Pro gamer because of it. There are a lot of competition for it (he said it is most important quality in a fg for him)
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/

1) Save the term "dead" for games that literally aren't supported, are supported but are ghost towns (can't find games), etc. Otherwise, you just contribute to making the term "dead" worthless because it starts to take on ambiguous meaning. There are plenty of games I like which are indeed "dead" because I can't play them anymore (not supported anywhere, or they are there but nobody plays and can't find a game to join, etc.). There are also games that aren't totally "dead" but are unavailable/"dead" outside limited access pockets (limited geography arcade, online only, tournament only, etc.)(games that aren't dead, but certain ways to play them are dead like Battlefront II on XBL).

I think maybe too many tweens see a game not commanding hordes of players and their larva angst compels them to cry out that it's dead. Because they haven't actually lived through a time when certain games just weren't available to be played at all, so they start mislabeling cause they have no frame of reference.

2) Using the term "dead" (as many have pointed out here) inaccurately labels the current ST scene. You can find good games on the PC online, in periodic regional tournaments, and in arcade/playgroups in limited select locations (mostly in Japan). In addition, the quality of players still playing is arguably the highest skill level it has ever been.

Scene is still dead pretending it's not is like begging for a miracle, The quality of players is great but where are all of our BEST players? I mean honestly some of the greatest players have either retired or dont give a shit they will enter if they see it at a side tournament on occasion and what they're doing at super arcade is great but the numbers alone aren't enough to say the games alive. Online Tournaments are garbage IMO Yeah they're fun but that's not very fun 150MS with input delay sure it's fun to sit at home and do but you can't really say it's a true measure of skill.

Highest it's ever been? No maybe a select few Japanese players, Who of which either don't get online OR travel and will surely fad out as a player when the ST scene in japan dies.

Online isn't competitive any player who's played Offline knows exactly what I mean by it's unrealistic to use for tournaments etc other then just pure fun.

Trust me I love ST but fact is fact the games dead right now compared to before.
    i'd like to think st will live on for a long time like pac-man, donkey kong, and those other classic games that people still obsess over. sure the player base isn't huge, but there's still a lot of dudes in the competitive circle that take it seriously.
    I'm not even going to argue about if the scene's dead anymore you seem pretty set and nothing anybody says will change your mind but:
    Trust me I love ST but fact is fact the games dead right now compared to before.

If you really believe that then DO something about it rather than trolling/making the perception of the game worse/complaining because that's all you're really doing. Nothing constructive.
    i'd like to think st will live on for a long time like pac-man, donkey kong, and those other classic games that people still obsess over. sure the player base isn't huge, but there's still a lot of dudes in the competitive circle that take it seriously.

When we're like 60 its going to be me, you, synco, muffy, and DGV playing on a super gun while our grand kids run around in the back ground screaming and yelling. And you guys will still be complaining about my 720 scrub mashing.
    Ah shit..    
    Scene is still dead pretending it's not is like begging for a miracle, The quality of players is great but where are all of our BEST players? I mean honestly some of the greatest players have either retired or dont give a shit they will enter if they see it at a side tournament on occasion and what they're doing at super arcade is great but the numbers alone aren't enough to say the games alive. Online Tournaments are garbage IMO Yeah they're fun but that's not very fun 150MS with input delay sure it's fun to sit at home and do but you can't really say it's a true measure of skill.

Highest it's ever been? No maybe a select few Japanese players, Who of which either don't get online OR travel and will surely fad out as a player when the ST scene in japan dies.

Online isn't competitive any player who's played Offline knows exactly what I mean by it's unrealistic to use for tournaments etc other then just pure fun.

I don't think anyone's going to argue that ST is far less popular than it was say...a few years ago. But calling it 'dead' is a bit of an overstatement. In any case, the important thing is to find ways to reinvigorate ST, try to improve the scene in any way that we can, rather than mourn its death and moving on to newer games like SF4, UMVC3, or SFxT.

Personally I'm with moocus on this one, I feel like I'm going to be playing ST until I drop dead. I believe that the majority of hardcore gamers will continue playing video games, even in our golden years. Old people in past generations played golf, ours will probably play classic video games.

And which of your 'greatest players ever' are you talking about? Many of the greatest US players in ST still play in tournaments.
  • blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072
    Hell no, ST is still alive and kicking, there's no doubts about that. I'm still amazed at how long it's lasted. Hell I was amazed in 2008 when I joined SRK and found out I wasn't the only person on Earth still playing ST lol. I was such a scrub then, and I'm still such a huge scrub now. But maybe less so than before lol.

If ST has come this far, then there is still a long way to go before it can be pronounced dead.

As long as Japan keeps the scene alive and vibrant, and keeps on churning out new vids of top players on an almost daily basis, then ST will keep on living IMO. Not to mention this 20 year old game is still a part of all the major tourneys in Japan (SBO, Xmania, A-cho, etc). And let's not forget Europe is also contributing in a major fashion. In some ways, they have a more vibrant scene than North America.

Here's to a few more decades of the greatest fighting game ever.
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    IIRC daigo said
    He liked 4 coz he became a Pro gamer because of it. There are a lot of competition for it (he said it is most important quality in a fg for him)

He also said "this game is not worth my Ryu" lol. But it's understandable he plays SF4 if all he wants is competition.
    when the ST scene in japan dies.
    ST in Japan won't die until arcades in Japan officially "die". And I don't see it happening since they have a healthy arcade scene, plus Japanese people love tradition.
    ST is a godlike game to have in an arcade because the games are rather short and the gameplay is naturally addictive.
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT
This discussion has been closed.