Dandy J's KOF Tutorial (designed to help transition from Street Fighter)

AlexanderAlexander Joined: Posts: 977

The author is Dandy J, and he did a fantastic job. This is ESSENTIAL viewing for all King of Fighters players.

PS: Added updated version. My apologies to Dandy J, I rarely go Shoryuken these days.

Comments

• yourmotheryourmother 大五 運命腹 Joined: Posts: 1,528
    I would say something about how this has been posted like 6 times already except that I do think this should be stickied, if not alone then maybe in some kind of KoF general knowledge thread. Thoughts, anyone?
    TvC Brah
  • danixcodanixco Joined: Posts: 39
    Yes. I already posted the links in another thread of a guy making a KOF collection without know of this thread or the other 6 posts. Great job of that Dandy J.
  • MadeManG74MadeManG74 Joined: Posts: 669
    Excellent job Dandy J, as a total KOF noob this is an awesome guide to help me before KOF98 on XBL and KOFXII!
  • HamidoOsHamidoOs Button Masher Joined: Posts: 53
    Dandy J = KoF hero :china:
    Redefine me.
  • Heero YuyHeero Yuy Livin' On A Prayer Joined: Posts: 22
    Mad Props to Dandy J. I'm subscribed, and I watch these videos every other day. I can't wait to put this stuff into action.
    Seems like Fighting games are back in vogue. With SF IV, KoF XII, SCIV, Tekken 6, VF5, and others, it's a good time to be a fan.
  • jumjumjumjum Joined: Posts: 19
    cant wait for part 3 x_x
  • Corner-TrapCorner-Trap Troll Harder Joined: Posts: 2,683
    Is part 3 ever gonna come out? Damn, it's taking a good while. Sure I shouldn't be complaining since Dandy J isn't getting paid to make them. But seriously his tutorial vids is what finally got me interested into KOF, and I'm impatiently waiting on a new one.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Yeah, this was definately well made vid. Props to Dandj.
  • Dandy JDandy J now you face a super saiyan shaolin Joined: Posts: 2,790
    Is part 3 ever gonna come out? Damn, it's taking a good while. Sure I shouldn't be complaining since Dandy J isn't getting paid to make them. But seriously his tutorial vids is what finally got me interested into KOF, and I'm impatiently waiting on a new one.
    OutRun has been stealing my attention haha... part 3 is coming along slowly but it's coming. Just a heads up, part 3 will pertain more to kof98 and older KOFs. What will be covered:

- run-under anti-airs
    - anti-mash strings
    - rolling, all aspects (using and defending against them)

and more that pertain to legacy KOFs:

- throwing ('instant' run in throw, option selects, etc.)
    - guard cancel roll
    - cd counters, using them, baiting them, etc
    - corner cross-up
    - alternate guard

Plus some other tidbits. ETA: "when it's done" - id Software (TM)
    "The challenge is, how can we create a mechanic where it makes your mistakes not matter and turns the game into a clown show? All these solutions are great but they don't take into account what X-Factor is supposed to do, which is turn the game into a joke."- O. Seth Killian
  • rogueyoshirogueyoshi Nothing Comes Easy Joined: Posts: 1,927
    wtf, outrun?
    nignagnog: minority report
    nignagnog: you got punished for your future crimes
    BossG: anybody that's black already suffers under pre-crime laws
  • EnumasamEnumasam Riding Mediocrity Joined: Posts: 188
    OutRun has been stealing my attention haha... part 3 is coming along slowly but it's coming. Just a heads up, part 3 will pertain more to kof98 and older KOFs. What will be covered:

- run-under anti-airs
    - anti-mash strings

- guard cancel roll
    - corner cross-up
    - alternate guard

CANT FUCKING WAIT!!

I've been playing KOF2K2 UM like a mofo ever since I've seen those vids and I still go crawling back to them for things I may hove over looked. I'm using Kusanagi for he seems to have ALL the basics I need to get a better feel for KOF. It's almost like a gate way for me to test my skill in GGPO 2K2.

Keep up the good work Dandy, and quality whores like myself can't settle for anything less than those half a gig megaupload .avi Lol.

Also, very well crafted. I can't wait for you to make the Street Fighter one. Yeah, your Street Fighter one will be beastly. You said it would be done sometime in a few months right? Awesome.
    WWOOOAAAAGHHHHH! - Colossus
    PSN: Cavintine
    WOW !!! very nice
    man.. after years of playing KoF this guide make me a better player overall
    thanks Dandy.. hope part 3 will be coming soon :rofl:
  • Return of ShikiReturn of Shiki Your favorite game sucks Joined: Posts: 4,389

- run-under anti-airs
    - anti-mash strings

- guard cancel roll
    - corner cross-up
    - alternate guard

You need to also explain command moves:

--Importance
    --Comboing
    --Losing properties when canceled into, but also becoming cancelable when canceled into.
    If you listen to fools, the mob rules...
  • RemxiRemxi Mithan's Robe Joined: Posts: 297
    Also might be useful to note you can empty cancel some normals into command moves and still retain their properties (e.g. Vice, c.D empty cancel to f+A, fake sweep into overhead). You can also cancel a normal into a command move later than you normally would to retain it's properties. A good example of this is 2k2 K' where you can do s.C, f+A for a 3 hit combo, but depending on how late you cancel into the command move determines whether it keeps the knockdown property or not. These techniques are more useful for certain characters than others.
    wtf, outrun?
    dude i am like top 5 on every goal ROFL!!!!
    You need to also explain command moves:

--Importance
    --Comboing
    --Losing properties when canceled into, but also becoming cancelable when canceled into.
    Sounds like a part 4...this one is already going into KOF98 (and other older kofs) specifics, and since I don't know if slow cancels and stuff will be in 12...yea I'd probably switch the format to just 98 for that.
    "The challenge is, how can we create a mechanic where it makes your mistakes not matter and turns the game into a clown show? All these solutions are great but they don't take into account what X-Factor is supposed to do, which is turn the game into a joke."- O. Seth Killian
  • AlexanderAlexander Joined: Posts: 977
    Dude, you should do vids focusing on just 2k2, XII, and (eventually) XII. We, the community, would gladly wait for them. Because, thanks to the your tutorial vids, I've gotten into 98 much more. But 2k2 is a real struggle.
  • rogueyoshirogueyoshi Nothing Comes Easy Joined: Posts: 1,927
    oh wow i didn't know outrun got released on xbl, wtffff.

i'm gonna get on dat
    nignagnog: minority report
    nignagnog: you got punished for your future crimes
    BossG: anybody that's black already suffers under pre-crime laws
  • FindMyFarmsFindMyFarms Joined: Posts: 1,060
    Wow these videos are amazing, thanks.
    "you all some stank ass bitches yo. i heard yall be on da cock and dont even feel bad about it. danng. fuck"

-JOP
    Dude, you should do vids focusing on just 2k2, XII, and (eventually) XII. We, the community, would gladly wait for them. Because, thanks to the your tutorial vids, I've gotten into 98 much more. But 2k2 is a real struggle.

The basics don't really change much between '98 and 2k2, other than the fact everything is faster. BC mode is always character specific so you can't really do a general tutorial for that. Is there something you are having particular trouble with in 2k2?
  • AtibaAtiba Joined: Posts: 69
    The basics don't really change much between '98 and 2k2, other than the fact everything is faster. BC mode is always character specific so you can't really do a general tutorial for that. Is there something you are having particular trouble with in 2k2?

Which of the KOF's in your opinion is closest in terms of gameplay to KofX II.
    So far the videos I have seen have been so bad I don't think saw anyone using hop+attack or anything..i'm beginning to worry:sweat:
    Which of the KOF's in your opinion is closest in terms of gameplay to KofX II.
    So far the videos I have seen have been so bad I don't think saw anyone using hop+attack or anything..i'm beginning to worry:sweat:
    Play 98, it's as close as it gets (system-wise) and it has most of the characters that are there.
    Play 98, it's as close as it gets (system-wise) and it has most of the characters that are there.

OK good i'll start playing that...it seems to be the most popular as well. I've been watching some KOF XII videos trying to identify some stuff i learnt in the tutorial but these guys are using a lot of normal jumps and super jumps as jump ins.

I'm almost embarrass to ask if you can really do the tutorial stuff in kof XII but i'm asking anyway....:wgrin:

I'm excited about the stuff the tutorial thought me so i'm praying none of it goes to waste...
  • mehrunmehrun Joined: Posts: 25
    I seriously love you dandy, I was confused as to how these different jumps and all are happening, but I subscribed to your videos on youtube to learn more about this great game! :D
  • andeRK83andeRK83 tiGeR! Joined: Posts: 389
    omg this game seems so much harder than sf lol
    PSN: andeRK83
    SFV Tag: baSick-
    OK good i'll start playing that...it seems to be the most popular as well. I've been watching some KOF XII videos trying to identify some stuff i learnt in the tutorial but these guys are using a lot of normal jumps and super jumps as jump ins.

I'm almost embarrass to ask if you can really do the tutorial stuff in kof XII but i'm asking anyway....:wgrin:

I'm excited about the stuff the tutorial thought me so i'm praying none of it goes to waste...
    So far from what we've heard, you can do everything that was said in the tutorial. That's due to the fact that they're going back to basics, so there's no fifth buttons or other complicated functions like the post-98 games. I would highly recommend getting KOF 98 Ultimate Match. It's got the OG version and a new one with more characters and rebalancing.
    So far from what we've heard, you can do everything that was said in the tutorial. That's due to the fact that they're going back to basics, so there's no fifth buttons or other complicated functions like the post-98 games. I would highly recommend getting KOF 98 Ultimate Match. It's got the OG version and a new one with more characters and rebalancing.

I goin to take your advice. KOF 98 ultimate match actually got release int he US this month...so it may be SNK's way of sayin start practising ppl.

I wish I had this tutorial years ago..but i'll try and make up for it now. You guys have been a lot of help. :pleased:
    Hey Dandy, is there an eta on Part 3? My panties are dripping with anticipation.
  • TooseriusTooserius DVERITAS Joined: Posts: 755
    yea man-I need that part 3
  • Mycah LeonhartMycah Leonhart The Pope of Bootyism Joined: Posts: 1,028
    part 3, nao!!!
    R.I.P. Nate Hunt - Gone but never forgotten.
    Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens.......
    Netplay Fix = http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=214258&p=8269146
  • Dime_xDime_x Wasting time Joined: Posts: 9,243

- run-under anti-airs
    - anti-mash strings

- guard cancel roll
    - corner cross-up
    - alternate guard

yo DANDY J. MAD PROPS on these tutorial vids! i like so many others am an og streetfighter, but have never played the kof games seriously, today i played kof 12 for the first time at AI and i got my ass handed to me... so did my friend... he called it a scrubarific mashfest... so did i, we couldnt AA anything worth shit... i told him that there had to be a way to AA in the game...

then i came here and found EXACTLY what i was looking for in your tutorials, the basic gameplay and flow. i never new the overall strategy to kof till you broke it down...

I LOVE THIS GAME! i dont like turtle fests but at the same time, i cant stand games where once your op is in its near impossible to get them out, thats the reason i dont like games with air dash in them... imho gg type games would be perfect if only there was no airdash...

imho that is alot like what kof seems to play like from your tutorial, this game might easily become my favorite OVER sf4... offensive poking is my perfect gameplay style and that seems what this game is all about.

heres to leveling up my game with all of the other kof newbs!

ooh yeah... outrun is, THAT SHIT! so awesome.

looking forward to part 3!

-dime
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 698
    Part 3 PLZ!!
    the 2 first parts ownz!!
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
  • qialqial Joined: Posts: 215
    I've been a casual KoF player for a good while but never really dove into the technical aspects of them... Now I'm fascinated. I can't wait for XII! I don't have any idea which characters I'll end up sticking with; almost everyone in the roster has something I adore about them, whether it's about the playstyle or the character (except maybe Raiden... that dude's staying on the shelf).

I'm still really bad at '98... I haven't gotten down my timing for combos yet. Every time I catch someone making a mistake, I land a C in hopes of building up to a combo but I always fuck it up. So I just swipe 'em once and then stand there looking like a clown... I still adore the game though, for pretty much everything dime just said. Chun players representin' in KoF, ha... Now we can indulge our mix-ups in a game that won't gimp us on health for having them :razzy:

people in this thread have played Mark of the Wolves, right? it's a great gateway between SF and KoF... It's basically SF with short hops and running
  • Phoenix AzurePhoenix Azure Joined: Posts: 1,115
    people in this thread have played Mark of the Wolves, right? it's a great gateway between SF and KoF... It's basically SF with short hops and running

Yea some people can really atest to that, and that has a even bigger effect now that XII is coming out soon because that game def has a SF3/Garou feel to it.
    SSFIV: M: Adon/Dictator S: Claw
    Blazblue: M:Hazama
    Waiting for the King to return...
  • TooseriusTooserius DVERITAS Joined: Posts: 755
    o yea it does-I'm so glad I was able to find a copy for my DC.it's a beaut
    Thanks for the tutorial Dandy J, its helped me improve a lot and I've been playing for years. I'll be sure to recommend it to others.
    Dandy J, I don't want to be ungrateful but the guide would be MUCH more helpful if it was spoken. its too colorful and distracting and you don't give enough time for the move after you finished the multi-colored text description. i have to constantly pause/resume/rewind.

sorry for being such a whiner.
    Yeah, I feel you on that. If I ever do another project, I'm seriously just thinking about doing things Buktooth style because it's a lot easier anyway.

BTW I've been a bit busy lately, so the vid hasn't been seeing a lot of attention. I at least have 1 section done and have everything finally planned out, since for a long time I wasn't sure how I was going to organize the rest of the vids. All the coming parts will be for KOF98. At this point I can't really go in-depth about KOFXII without actually being able to play the game.
  • comoesacomoesa not too bad.. Joined: Posts: 1,162
    I understand the basics..but in general how important are matchups in Kof compared to sf2/4?
    FOREVER NEVERMORE
    Not as important. Usually in a matchup you're just changing details about how you attack people or stuff to beat certain strong pokes that one character has. So for example vs a character with instant grabs but no invincible anti-air, if you attack them on wakeup you always want to use a hop/jump 'meaty' since anything on the ground you can get grabbed out of. Certain reversals like Terry's can be grabbed by invincible grabs like O.Yashiro's, Vice's or Chris'. You'll want to know what to use to beat key pokes like Ralf st.C, Daimon st.B, etc. Sometimes it really changes, like for example Leona, Chris, and Heidern can run right under Takuma's and others fireballs, so he can only throw them on wakeup or when he has a lot of advantage from far.

In KOF12 I get the feeling they will be even less prevalent. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.
  • BBCampbellBBCampbell Busy bein' DELICIOUS Joined: Posts: 514
    Dandy J, I don't want to be ungrateful but the guide would be MUCH more helpful if it was spoken. its too colorful and distracting and you don't give enough time for the move after you finished the multi-colored text description. i have to constantly pause/resume/rewind.

sorry for being such a whiner.

I sort of agree on this point. Don't get rid of the text, but do add voice. Maybe scout the internets to see who'd be a good Kyo voice.

EDIT: Is there anywhere that can give you a good guide on specific characters via video?
    Chun-Li: My father saved his village at the cost of his life. You had him shot as you ran away... a hero at a thousand paces.
    Bison: I'm sorry... I don't remember any of it. For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life.
    For me... It was Tuesday...
    He just updated part 2 (it's at the end of the video) to focus on Rolls.

Thanks Dandy J.
  • ZeonTheUnbornZeonTheUnborn The One IX Joined: Posts: 2,723
    Hey J, what to do against people who spam grabs all day? My friend LOVES to do Shermies little throw where she does a backwards cart wheel. Thats all he likes to do, I can't attack him on wake up or even jump away, since it catches out of mid air.
    I will win! I won't stop until I get them!

Work him! Yes! Him! Him right there! Work. Him!
    You know you can block that "grab" right? If you're having problems dealing with Shermie using it on wakeup, try to bait it with a hop and then roll forwards as she wakes up such that you're invincible during the attack. The move has a lot of recovery but it also puts a fair amount of distance between Shermie and the opponent if they block it.
    Just one little thing, grab/throws makes no difference am I correct? It doesn't matter what terminology I use, it's the same thing. Unless that Shermie move is an attack throw. I tried rolling, usually on recovery he does it again and again, etc.

This project is finished. I won't be making another tutorial video until after KOFXII is released.

I have a 'complete' version of the tutorial in 1 piece with spelling fixes, etc. If you have an old YouTube director account that allows for videos over 10:59 and don't mind uploading a 900mb file, please pm me.
    Hey J, what to do against people who spam grabs all day? My friend LOVES to do Shermies little throw where she does a backwards cart wheel. Thats all he likes to do, I can't attack him on wake up or even jump away, since it catches out of mid air.
    Like Remixi said, it's not actually a throw, you can block it. She will end up far away, but there's a lot of recovery so try to find something fast and long range to punish with your character. Actually you can probably run up and do close C > whatever if you react fast enough.
  • qialqial Joined: Posts: 215
    Dandy, you're the best. it feels great being able to watch matches between good KoF players and actually be able to tell what they're doing and why. :P
    This project is finished. I won't be making another tutorial video until after KOFXII is released.

I have a 'complete' version of the tutorial in 1 piece with spelling fixes, etc. If you have an old YouTube director account that allows for videos over 10:59 and don't mind uploading a 900mb file, please pm me.

Like Remixi said, it's not actually a throw, you can block it. She will end up far away, but there's a lot of recovery so try to find something fast and long range to punish with your character. Actually you can probably run up and do close C > whatever if you react fast enough.

I tested it out in Regular 98, it hits even crouchers. Her qcb+P that is.

Big thanks to rogueyoshi for uploading the full thing: image
  • FrankfurtFrankfurt Joined: Posts: 573
    Big thanks to rogueyoshi for uploading the full thing: image

Awesome. Any chance of a torrent of the full version?
    "KOF fans aren't watching the actual game but wishing for their personal game to come." - Neithan
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge MAD STRUGGLE Joined: Posts: 15,914
    Just use keepvid to download it from the internet.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."