Plinking / Tsuji-Style: KARA BUFFER Inputs for Easier Links and More!

Comments

• SD00TSD00T Can-o-Sprite Joined: Posts: 91
    but i dont have a clue about the advantage you get out of it with links and bnbs, can sum1 plz private msg me or break the shit down so i can start buttin it in2 proper practice. Ive had my t e stick for a lil while but i still suck at it. I cry out to my pad everytime i get beat cuz i feel like samson with a ceasar without my pad. someone plz help a brotha out!

ok lets take Kens (or any shoto) link from crouching :lp: to crounching :hp: on a stick if your just trying the lp to hp by timing alone it can become quite bothersome. HOWEVER by using the plink method you can increase your success rate infinitely.

I am saying tap, wait tap in my head trying to figure out how to explain it better lol. The inputs would be like such :lp: -> :hp::mp:. Now the hp and mp would be really close together but not exact same time. just go into training mode and try it out both ways and you will see what im talking about. The same applies for say crouching :lp: to crouching :mp:. Be carefull here if you do the :lp: then do the :mp::lp: to fast you will get another jab, so just do your crouching lp take a split second, hit crouching mp followed by lp almost immediately. After that you just perform the rest of your combo weather it be plinking more finishing with a special move

I was in a similar situation to you, I have always been a pad player until about 5 months ago. I just started really using the plink method and cant believe how much better it has made my execution

In my head it sounded much better but I hope that helps
    Sagat; the Sean of SSF4
  • buddaz1gbuddaz1g #1pothead Joined: Posts: 19
    this is some good info i will definitely try this
  • raeliraeli Showtime! Joined: Posts: 3,905
    I'm still struggling with plinking. I dunno why. I can't do it 100% consistently like I can kara throws..
    themightyraeli
    I'm free.
  • SD00TSD00T Can-o-Sprite Joined: Posts: 91
    I'm still struggling with plinking. I dunno why. I can't do it 100% consistently like I can kara throws..

Like wise, I Need to practice more
    Sagat; the Sean of SSF4
  • DannkkDannkk Joined: Posts: 1,761
    I found my camera and was bored, so I made the video people have been asking for. You'll see, it just looks like hitting two buttons at the same time, can hear that it's not, though.

Bombing for peace is like f%@&;ing for virginity. - bumper sticker
    My Mods - http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/Dannkk/Dual%20Mods/
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    I found my camera and was bored, so I made the video people have been asking for. You'll see, it just looks like hitting two buttons at the same time, can hear that it's not, though.

Thanks a lot dude, that really helped me.

I thought it needed to be more.. ehh.. 'seperate', but this makes it very clear to me.

Thanks again.
  • MatsuteMatsute Joined: Posts: 62
    Hmm, I need tips for doing the RH loop with Akuma. I just can't seem to find a good way to do it...
  • DepsDeps ayep Joined: Posts: 173
    Hmm, I need tips for doing the RH loop with Akuma. I just can't seem to find a good way to do it...

Plink LP~HK for the LP and HK~LP for the HK (also watch ).
  • MatsuteMatsute Joined: Posts: 62
    Thanks man!
    Gotta go and practice that then.
  • WarahkWarahk Joined: Posts: 1,104

you just need to get the jab > roundhouse link down. i plink it with hk~mk.

roundhouse to standing jab is a very lenient link, just focus on getting the rhythm for the jab to roundhouse part.
  • MagnetoManiacMagnetoManiac EX MagMan™ Joined: Posts: 6,697
    the real master of p linking
    凸 (⊙▃⊙) 凸 Hold that
    Team "Get that shit outta here"
    So, do YOU know the match-up?! - team gdlk
  • Lelouch(OTR)Lelouch(OTR) Rgne pleuvant. Joined: Posts: 330
    the real master of p linking

:rofl:

I wish I had Japanese blood in me.
    2009 Lelouch of the Rebellion
    SSF4: Chun Li, Cody
    Everything else: Flowchart Ryu
    If done right, in the training mode with input display on, you should see this:

(second frame) down+LK+MK
    (first frame) down+MK
    Note: if you didn't do it right, the second frame input would have been down+LK only.

i am trying to learn plinking with viper. if i JUST do the plinking, it works nearly every time and mp comes out. no problems there.

however, if i try it in her combo - cr. lk > st. lk > plinked cr. mp (with lp)....

according to the description above, my input display says i'm doing it correctly, but in actuality, a cr. lp keeps coming out instead.

can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? is viper's combo a special exception to the rule? is my timing close enough to fool the input display, but not the input itself? thanks in advance.
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,381
    i am trying to learn plinking with viper. if i JUST do the plinking, it works nearly every time and mp comes out. no problems there.

however, if i try it in her combo - cr. lk > st. lk > plinked cr. mp (with lp)....

according to the description above, my input display says i'm doing it correctly, but in actuality, a cr. lp keeps coming out instead.

can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? is viper's combo a special exception to the rule? is my timing close enough to fool the input display, but not the input itself? thanks in advance.

You're pressing the buttons too quickly so a chained c.lp comes out. Remember, "plinking" is short for "priority linking". If several moves are possible, the one with the highest priority will get executed (plinking is a form of option selection). Mp has higher priority than lp, but chaining lp has higher priority of mp. So if you press multiple buttons during the chain window, the chain with the highest priority will get executed. If a chain is not possible, the normal with the highest priority takes precedence.

To remedy your problem, slow down your inputs.
    You're pressing the buttons too quickly so a chained c.lp comes out. Remember, "plinking" is short for "priority linking". If several moves are possible, the one with the highest priority will get executed (plinking is a form of option selection). Mp has higher priority than lp, but chaining lp has higher priority of mp. So if you press multiple buttons during the chain window, the chain with the highest priority will get executed. If a chain is not possible, the normal with the highest priority takes precedence.

To remedy your problem, slow down your inputs.

hm... never knew a chained light had more priority than an unchained medium. thanks for the advice.
    Saying chained jab has greater priority than unchained strong isn't really true. The reason jab comes out is because strong can not come out during this window. Strong has greater priority than jab.
    Saying chained jab has greater priority than unchained strong isn't really true. The reason jab comes out is because strong can not come out during this window. Strong has greater priority than jab.

Yeah you're right. The jab is still active so the only possible move is a cancel, and a chain is a cancel.
  • SRKiDDSRKiDD Joined: Posts: 5
    I'm having an issue when I plink, for example when I'm trying a cr.jab into a medium kick on the input display it shows I properly plinked it but the moves don't combo. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
    I'm having an issue when I plink, for example when I'm trying a cr.jab into a medium kick on the input display it shows I properly plinked it but the moves don't combo. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

you're hitting it too late if it isn't comboing
    this is a cool thing iam going to practice this
  • xi wengxi weng You Scrub!!!! Joined: Posts: 613
    Sorry if this is already answer,

Do you hold the first button while pushing the second button or do you let go?

I can get the input to show the what kirby is talking about, but i don't know if i'm doing it right.
    Sorry if this is already answer,

Do you hold the first button while pushing the second button or do you let go?

I can get the input to show the what kirby is talking about, but i don't know if i'm doing it right.

If you get the input to show then you're doing it the right way.
  • MOUNTAINDREWMOUNTAINDREW Joined: Posts: 10
    can anyone help me relate this to sagats Bnb? (c.lk c.lk c.lp TU)
    from what i can understand it still seems easier to learn the timing

edit*

also is there anyway this could help with the input for his fake kicks?
  • SSblankaSSblanka Joined: Posts: 677

edit*

you still have to learn the timing of the link even if you plink. all plink does is give you an extra button input.
  • TreasureDenTreasureDen Joined: Posts: 79
    Anyone know why the plinking wasn't working for me?
    I tried to do c.lp > c.hp
    My frames read:

3rd: :mp::hp:
    2nd: :hp:
    1st: :lp:

The frames read correctly, but my c.hp won't link.
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,282
    Means your timing for the actual link is off. Plinking doesn't remove timing, just makes it easier.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken

edit*

you can plink the c.lk's as follows, but this is one of the few links i do not plink:
    c.lk~c.lp > c.lk ~c.lp > c.lk ~c.lp

c.lp cannot be plinked but c.lk > c.lp is a super lenient link.

you cannot use plinking to do fake roundhouse :sad:
  • crushingyencrushingyen Joined: Posts: 118
    Wow, this helps so much! My timing is better, but I'm getting certain moves off that I don't want to come out i.e. MP instead of HP.
  • TreasureDenTreasureDen Joined: Posts: 79
    I got the button input right, but I still couldn't link Ken/Ryu c.lp > c.hp. I tried to time it as best as I could. Plink doesn't seem to be working. Anyone got idea for the timing?
  • AuthenticBlazeAuthenticBlaze Joined: Posts: 67
    I tried the link that KIRBY gave on the fron page also to see if i was plinking correctly. For some reason i am getting it but it comes out like this
    1.jump in hk(thats what i added)
    2.cr:lp:
    3.cr:lp:
    4.cr:mk:
    5.cr:lk:
    6. Gahoudaken(sorry if i mispelled)
    Now for some reason i keep connecting but i dont think i am plinking the cr.lp to cr.mk. If someone could explain what i am doing wrong this would be great. Although my connection for the cr.lp to cr.mk has improved:tup:
    Victory is the sweetest feeling
    I tried the link that KIRBY gave on the fron page also to see if i was plinking correctly. For some reason i am getting it but it comes out like this
    1.jump in hk(thats what i added)
    2.cr:lp:
    3.cr:lp:
    4.cr:mk:
    5.cr:lk:
    6. Gahoudaken(sorry if i mispelled)
    Now for some reason i keep connecting but i dont think i am plinking the cr.lp to cr.mk. If someone could explain what i am doing wrong this would be great. Although my connection for the cr.lp to cr.mk has improved:tup:

nope you're not plinking. you're getting it because you're hitting the cr. mk at the right time. you're pressing the lk too late. it should be like this:

6. fireball
    5. :lk::mk:
    4. :mk:
    3. :d::lp:
    2. :d::lp:
    1. :uf::hk:
    nope you're not plinking. you're getting it because you're hitting the cr. mk at the right time. you're pressing the lk too late. it should be like this:

6. fireball
    5. :lk::mk:
    4. :mk:
    3. :d::lp:
    2. :d::lp:
    1. :uf::hk:

So my timing was off! Now what's got me confused about plinking is when i press the mk~lk simultaneously it should come out like this
    2:lk::mk:
    1.:mk: Am i correct?
    The problem im having is the timing! I guess i'll have to keep trying in the training mode:sweat:
    So my timing was off! Now what's got me confused about plinking is when i press the mk~lk simultaneously it should come out like this
    2:lk::mk:
    1.:mk: Am i correct?
    The problem im having is the timing! I guess i'll have to keep trying in the training mode:sweat:

yes if you plink correctly that would be the input. it's almost simultaneously. think ken's kara throw if you know how to do that.
    Lol im new to the game so i do not know about kara throws but i do know about kara demons:rofl:. Anyways I will give the plinking a go tomorrow but for now it's time to go to bed.Have a nice night everyone and thanks for the help with understanding the plink SSBlanka:lovin:
  • pietonpieton Joined: Posts: 515
    Personnaly when I want to p-link I just hit the 2 buttons silmutanously, but I concentrate on the button that need to be hit first.

for example for a clp, chp link I will hit chp at 'the same time' than cmp but since my mind is thinking avout chp, my hand hit it a millisecond before cmp.

If I try to time it doesnt work , seem better to let my brain do the work.
  • KIRBYSIMKIRBYSIM Joined: Posts: 105
    Added a small update on when it might be better to use plinking, and when double-tapping. I don't have the execution skills (I think) to test it out for sure, but can someone go try and see if double-tapping is easier than plinking for 2-frame links or 3-frame links?

One of these days I also plan to comb through all 18 pages of this thread and append the most useful information into the first post. One of these days. May not be soon.
    if it can be plinked, plinking is better.
  • freekillfreekill someone Joined: Posts: 64
    i dont know if it was mentioned before, i honestly didnt look through all 18 pages O.o but...
    maybe some of you guys just recently saw Yebs "Gen parry glitch" with focus into stance change.

Yeb mentions that it is actually an extension of the "old focus taunt glitch" .. what does that mean?

I already saw TheMullah doing it against a fireball -> focus the fireball but dont dashing out of the animation but taunting himself out of it..

How exactly does this work? is it like :mk:+:mp: ~ :hk:+:hp: ?

If that is correct im doing something wrong or it has to be done in superhuman speed >.>

pls someone help me :_(

PS: oh and sorry for my bad english, isnt my mothertongue
  • pietonpieton Joined: Posts: 515
    About the link: Solar plexus, Chp, Srk. Any reason why I should p-link the Chp with Clp instead of a Cmp ? I know this is the way Daigo do it but whats the deal.

thx for answers.
  • JoontheBaboonJoontheBaboon Ken Masters. Joined: Posts: 1,518
    I've seen youtube videos where people show how to P-Link in training mode with input display on, but nobody explains how and why it works. I've done 0 frame links myself with and without P-Link and frankly, P-Link doesn't help.

From what I've heard, the buttons inputted after the P-Link registers as the first button pressed giving it more chance to link.

Does this information come from Capcom themselves?
    Facebook.com/JoontheBaboon
    Twitter.com/JoontheBaboon
  • HawkinsTHawkinsT Fail Joined: Posts: 925
    How consistent are your 1 frame links JoontheBaboon?

Plinking works great for me with Seth's :hk: > :d::mp:~:lp:~:lk: > :qcb::lk:.

If I do that just hitting :mp: it comes out maybe 70% of the time, doing it with :mp:~:lp: it comes out about 95% of the time, and doing it with :mp:~:lp:~:lk: gives a 3 frame link with slightly reduced damage if I get it on the third frame, which comes out instead of the :mp: version roughly 1 in 20 goes so there's no doubt in my mind plinking helps.
    SSFIV: Seth

SSV: Dhalsim, Peter, Urien
  • SonicFlash122SonicFlash122 Joined: Posts: 346
    Vid I made on how to plink! Has visuals and a couple of combos it works with. I main Guile so that's who is in the vid, but the info applies to all characters. If you watch, please let me know what you think.

• HilariousCowHilariousCow A.K.A. Bezzy Joined: Posts: 32
    Do you only play against Ryu, or do you memorize visual cues for every matchup? I find it much easier to use aural cues.

I've been using the hit flare effect. It might just be confirmation bias, but it seems like if you hit the button when the flare is peaking, that's the ideal timing. And that's character agnostic, too. However, you're right. Doing it by sound is better. Human reaction times from sound queues (iirc) are faster than from visual queues... or atleast, signal from audio in the brain has to be buffered to synchronize with the processing latency from visual queues. I will need to double check this so that I don't look like an idiot...

[Edit] Some googling later, looks like I remembered correctly! Also found out that red visual stimulous results in faster reaction times than green or indigo! And I remember from elsewhere that visual stimulous in your peripheral view results in faster reactions times, too. Less actual processing going on in the corners in your vision - you're mainly just looking for movement.

How long until someone suggests you wear your character's Green outfit to get an advantage over your opponent? :D
  • HawkinsTHawkinsT Fail Joined: Posts: 925
    I've found this in the past also. I was playing without sound for a couple of weeks due to speaker problems and links were much harder to hit... I started getting use to hitting them without sound in the end though so maybe it was just easier with sound BECAUSE I'm used to using the sound, dunno =).
    SSFIV: Seth

SSV: Dhalsim, Peter, Urien
  • ditnditn Joined: Posts: 468
    Yeah but what if you go to a tournament and its very loud.
    Then you lose the ability to link by listening to sound and you have a problem.
    How long until someone suggests you wear your character's Green outfit to get an advantage over your opponent? :D

so that's why i win more w/ the lime green ken. :D
  • HFXHFX forgotten abel Joined: Posts: 4,742
    If you use plinking or "sliding frame input" (which btw is a loose translation of what the Japanese call plinking; none of that Tsuji-style egotistical nonsense which I wish some mod would remove from the thread title)

I know im late but LOL this is hilarious. Tsuji style is the popular name for "sliding frame input". Most people here calls the technique Tsuji style, its more known as Tsuji style, so yeah.?:rofl:
    Malaysia / Kuching FGC | Twitter @ abelity_ | Facebook @ facebook.com/showmeyourabelity | Youtube @ youtube.com/c/ShowMeYourAbelity
    Thanks for the heads up, hfz69. But I believe most people call it Tsuji-style because tsuji-shiki is four syllables short, as opposed to zurashioshi. Four-syllables, I've been told, is like the magic number for acronyms in Japanese?

There are people who prefer to use the term zurashi-oshi though. Maybe if you weren't so ethnocentric you might realise that.

Anyway, my point is - and of course this is solely my personal opinion - that Tsuji-shiki does not translate well when spoken in English, simply because "tsuji style" is a mouthful and doesn't really make sense in English. That's why the English-speaking SF community at large has opted to call it plinking. Which as you obviously know is short for priority linking.

Just as you find whatever it is you found hilarious, I find it hilarious that someone would use that "Tsuji style" in an actual conversation: "Yeah, for Abel's f+MK dash into s.HP the timing is tight, so you gotta Tsuji style it". "DUDE, TSUJI STYLE IT, DUDE! YOU ARE NOT TSUJI-ING RIGHT!!"

As an amatuer in the ways of the Japanese, both in terms of culture and language, I greatly respect opinions and input from who know better, like yourself. But being born and bred in Asia, I also believe in the virtues of humility (haha, so stereotypical), and it just seems quite egoistical to me that someone would name the technique after himself.

Over here in the English-speaking world, I certainly haven't seen any fighting game terminology named after a... person or location's name, at least. Fighting games are not rocket science or... wine.

P.S. what terms do the Japanese use to refer to links and cancels btw?
  • HFXHFX forgotten abel Joined: Posts: 4,742
    anyway, my bad, didnt mean to be rude. :/ (though i dont think callin it tsuji style is egotistical or anything)

ive read the origin of the term tsujishiki, but i forgot about it.. and that four syllables think, my japanese knowledge isnt that good but i thought thats like some idiom kinda thing like "kill two birds with one stone" etc.. anyway i guess it is depending on ppl to call it what, i just thought id share from my experience that ppl do call it tsuji style too.

as for naming some style after himself, i thought thats kinda normal? maybe not he himself, but its not unusual for something to be named after the person who found it. true its not rocket science though... but i just saw in ken's part theres this "emilio style" too lol.. as for viper there's something called "dashio's special", so i guess its normal in sf4 to name certain stuff based on the ppl who found/apply it, maybe a lil bit egotistical if the person himself is naming it after himself but i guess sometimes its other ppl who call it that after seeing things they never seen before.. just like tokido style. sure you can always call it whatever you wanna call it, if you prefer zurashi meoshi, nothing wrong with that.

as for humility, haha yeah asians are stereotypically notorious for that, but yeah just a stereotype, too much humility will just invite other ppl (read: westerners LOL) to run a train all over ya haha. (half kidding :p)

as for cancelling and links, cancels are cancels (or kyanseru),for links, they are called "renkei" but from my experience ppl also say like "tsunagaru/tsunagaranai" (that shit does/not combos/links) too...

p.s- even i dont use tsuji style, i call it plinking but with japanese i use tsuji shiki when im referring to it.
    Malaysia / Kuching FGC | Twitter @ abelity_ | Facebook @ facebook.com/showmeyourabelity | Youtube @ youtube.com/c/ShowMeYourAbelity
    I think the distinction I personally make is that, a style is the way a person plays. A collection of tactics, setups, etc, that a player performs often because it's intuitive to him. Like second-nature. Style is personality, it's subjective and varies with every person.

When I first learnt of Akuma's vortex/cross-up hurricane, it was through a Japanese wiki and they referred to it as Tokido-shiki/Tokido-style. Which I absolutely have no problem with, because that's how he plays - the wiki provided a sample flow-chart of how this works. But once I learnt the gist of Tokido-shiki though, I broke from it and used the cross-up hurricane in a manner I find more intuitive. That's my own personal style. It may not be as effective as Tokido's but it's who I am.

And yeah I would use the terms emilio style and dashio's special too (if I knew what they were) because it's... well, fine play unique to them.

But tsuji-shiki... personally I find that quite hard to accept as a formal name as plinking is pretty much technical terminology. Everyone performs this technique more or less the same manner. Though obviously the applications are vast.

The way I see it:

Plinking = technique = should be named something that gives you an inclination of what it does
    Examples - cross-up hurricane, plinking, delayed attack/frame trap

Applications of plinking = style = for instance, the Tsujinrai demon (super demon with SPD range performed with plinking). That makes sense because the Tsujinrai demon is unique to Jinrai - I certainly can't pull it off on a regular basis, and personally I don't find it effective. But if I saw a match video where Jinrai pulls it off I would most certainly shout out very excitedly: "WOOOT, THE TSUINRAI-DEMON!"
    Examples - Vortex/Tokido-style (stylistic use of cross-up hurricane), Tsujinrai-demon (plinking), Nemo-ChunLi's cr.LP, s.HK (frame trap).