Namco Stick Appreciation!

Comments

• GigazordGigazord Psycho Powered Joined: Posts: 779
    By the way, what do one of these in good condition typically go for?
    New Episode: The Power of the Supreme Ruler to Destroy a Ruler. Zerochaku! Danzaiver. -Entry of Magician Alty Al-Lazel-
  • meusmeus Joined: Posts: 2,051
    By the way, what do one of these in good condition typically go for?

Mint condition with box u looking at 100 or more
    Meus
    i fvcjumkne love street fighter
    tyhank you shoryuken1!!!!!!
    àlso nammers with fake tittieeeees
  • IncaInca ε▌=3 Joined: Posts: 64
    anyone know how I would go about fixing my namco stick? my right and down directions are acting up. After trouble shooting, it seems that those 2 cherry switches are losing their connectivity if held just at the point where it registers as a click and if it's push in all the way. ie, if I hold the right direction till it just clicks the controller registers it as being pressed and depressed rapidly. and if I press the right direction all the way and hold it, it'll do the same thing. sometimes it's nice when it happens randomly and I get triple taps when I only do one tap.

would a simple replacement of the cherry switch be enough to fix it? I think so right? Also where would I get similar switches, or would the same run of the mill switches work that are in a jlf?

lots of questions I know.
  • KazujiroKazujiro PSN ID: Kazujiro XBLive: Kazujiro SRK Joined: Posts: 1,631
    anyone know how I would go about fixing my namco stick? my right and down directions are acting up. After trouble shooting, it seems that those 2 cherry switches are losing their connectivity if held just at the point where it registers as a click and if it's push in all the way. ie, if I hold the right direction till it just clicks the controller registers it as being pressed and depressed rapidly. and if I press the right direction all the way and hold it, it'll do the same thing. sometimes it's nice when it happens randomly and I get triple taps when I only do one tap.

would a simple replacement of the cherry switch be enough to fix it? I think so right? Also where would I get similar switches, or would the same run of the mill switches work that are in a jlf?

lots of questions I know.

The stick doesn't come stock with Cherry switches, they use Omron microswitches. If it is the microswitches giving you problems, then replacing them should remedy your situation.
  • raeliraeli Showtime! Joined: Posts: 3,905
    Yep, if you want that same feel get Omron switches.

edit: You'll have to solder but it's a pretty easy fix tbh.
    themightyraeli
    I'm free.
    Mint condition with box u looking at 100 or more

How about excellent condition with no box?
    New Episode: The Power of the Supreme Ruler to Destroy a Ruler. Zerochaku! Danzaiver. -Entry of Magician Alty Al-Lazel-
    Yep, if you want that same feel get Omron switches.

edit: You'll have to solder but it's a pretty easy fix tbh.

You could put .187" quick disconnects on the ends of the wire - not that soldering it on is a big deal.
    How about excellent condition with no box?

Wouldn't pay more than $50 shipped for an excellent condition stock stick, personally. Great stick, but it's not super rare to warrant such a high price.
  • IncaInca ε▌=3 Joined: Posts: 64
    finding someone that has the omron switches s gonna be harder than I thought. only online retailers that has them has a 14 week backorder on them and the other only sells in crates of 100 switches =3
  • jeenyus1jeenyus1 Joined: Posts: 2,075
    finding someone that has the omron switches s gonna be harder than I thought. only online retailers that has them has a 14 week backorder on them and the other only sells in crates of 100 switches =3

Buy 100 Omron switches
    Use 4
    ?
    Profit
    SF5 Steam ID: AlphaShowStopper
    Fightcade Third Strike: Sagat-Ztier
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,281
    what type of omron switches are you looking for?... and how popular are these switches

maybe I can help... if a considerable amount of people want these switches I can probably buy a load and send them to you for a price if you're willing to pay for p&p from Englan
  • M K LM K L Joined: Posts: 238

Mouser has a good selection of Omron microswitches. Reading a few posts above it would seem as if any Omron microswitch will do but that's obviously not the case. Like any other manufacturer Omron makes hundreds of different switches and you need to choose the right type. On page 1 there's a pic showing the code on the microswitch in the Namco stick: V-15-3A5. The code means:

V = name of the series
    15 = current rating 15A
    3 = SPST-NO
    A = solder terminals
    5 = operating force 200gf
    and actuator type is pin plunger (i.e. no lever)

http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-v.pdf

The operating force is the most important parameter (besides actuator type and contact form) as a higher or lower OF will make the switch harder or softer.

This is the replacement switch I would get (and it's in stock):

http://it.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omron-Electronics/V-15G-3C25-K/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMumBvQ1hY%2ffBYRlS9EU7qn0tN2GnidXUoM%3d

Same series, same current rating, same contact form, same operating force, same actuator type. C2 (instead of A) means the terminals take .187" quick disconnects which is a welcome option, I think (you can of course still solder to them if you want). G means the contact gap is 0.5mm as opposed to 1mm of the original switches. I'm not sure what it refers to but it's probably a minor difference.
  • d0c_zaiusd0c_zaius tobal 2 missionary Joined: Posts: 394
    Hello everyone.

I found a Namco stick but the cord is f'd, and was hoping the more educated people around here could help me out with a couple Q's. If this doesnt belong in the topic my bad.

Heres the best pic of the cord I could take. The stick works only for up/down, and the buttons dont get any functionality at all.

sadness.jpg

Is it salvagable? and what level of electronics skill would be necessary for the repair job? I would like to do it myself but I have no experience beyond switching snap in buttons and such.

Secondly, the stick itself is in ok condition besides it being broke. What would be a fair price to offer for it? Right now I was thinking around 30$
    tobal 2 best game ever
    last questions.

Do people actually use Namco sticks at tournaments?

and... How different is the Namco hori stick to other Hori sticks?
    Hello everyone.

I found a Namco stick but the cord is f'd, and was hoping the more educated people around here could help me out with a couple Q's. If this doesnt belong in the topic my bad.

Heres the best pic of the cord I could take. The stick works only for up/down, and the buttons dont get any functionality at all.

Is it salvagable? and what level of electronics skill would be necessary for the repair job? I would like to do it myself but I have no experience beyond switching snap in buttons and such.

Secondly, the stick itself is in ok condition besides it being broke. What would be a fair price to offer for it? Right now I was thinking around 30$

Just open it up and resolder the cord wires to the PCB.
    last questions.

Do people actually use Namco sticks at tournaments?

and... How different is the Namco hori stick to other Hori sticks?

Seriously just do some research on the Hori sticks and you'll see the many different kinds of Hori sticks out there.

You don't see many people using the Namco sticks in tournaments for a few reasons.

1. The Namco stick is a rarity these days and you usually don't find one at your local gamestop.

2. The Madcatz TE stick is the new hotness thus you'll see lots of people with these sticks as well as the newer Hori sticks. Lots of people find those sticks to be more physically appealing with their colors and shenanigans. Me, I like plain vanilla

3. Many tournies now are running SFIV, BlazBlue, and most newer fighters, which run on next gen consoles, thus you would need a converter to make it work.

Does that mean this stick isn't tournament viable? Hell no it doesn't. Get an InPin and XConvterter 360 and your all set to whoop your buddy who's using his Femme Fatale stick.
  • zeeteszeetes I <3 Namco Joined: Posts: 1,060
    Hello everyone.

it should be salvageable to my collection.. but on a serious note, that sucks =\ poor namco. i too would think soldering directly to the pcb would be the way to go, but on how hard that would be i couldn't really tell you.

i'd pay 30 for it, i think that is a really fair price.
    it should be salvageable to my collection.. but on a serious note, that sucks =\ poor namco. i too would think soldering directly to the pcb would be the way to go, but on how hard that would be i couldn't really tell you.

i'd pay 30 for it, i think that is a really fair price.

Not hard at all really, just desolder the wiring harness for the cord. The wires are color coded - just solder them in place (if the problem is in fact a broken wire in the cord that is).
    $30 you say....? Send it my way!!
  • Ikagi-chanIkagi-chan Loves his HRAP2SA! <3 Joined: Posts: 1,980
    Hello everyone.

1st Bold Point: Okay, that REALLY is messed up. Wow, did it come like that or was it your fault?

2nd Bold Point: Nevermind, forget what I said here. Refer to my post a few posts down for the actual solution. It's DEFINITELY salvageable though. :tup:

3rd Bold Point: Don't you DARE think about selling that Namco. It's a treasure you should hold VERY dear, especially considering that it's 14th anniversary is very close ahead! :party:
    Well, if you open up the Namco Joy Stick, you find that the cord is connected to the main PCB by an 8 pin connector. This same connector is what HORI's used on basically every single one of their PlayStation 1 and 2 era arcade sticks.

Not so straightforward. The Namco connector has 7 pins so the HRAP/T5 cord won't fit. To get it to work he should extract the wires/pins from the namco connector housing as well as from the connector housing on the replacement cord and then insert (correctly) the wires/pins of the replacement cord into the namco housing.
    3rd Bold Point: Don't you DARE think about selling that Namco

Booooo!! Off with his head!
    Not so straightforward. The Namco connector has 7 pins so the HRAP/T5 cord won't fit. To get it to work he should extract the wires/pins from the namco connector housing as well as from the connector housing on the replacement cord and then insert (correctly) the wires/pins of the replacement cord into the namco housing.

Wow, where the hell did I learn to count? My mistake; thank you for the correction M K L. I just opened my Namco Joy Stick up to double check what you just said and lo and behold, it does only have a 7 pin connector! :wow:

In that case, sorry d0c_zaius; looks like you'll have to do some wire splicing and soldering on your Namco. It should be simple; just a matter of snipping off the bit that's torn up, stripping a bit of the wire off, then soldering the newly stripped wire back on, color coded of course.

Booooo!! Off with his head!

:looney:

1. The Namco stick is a rarity these days and you usually don't find one at your local gamestop.

They're not rare in Europe. I've been offered one which i'm collecting next week.

so if Namco re-released the nam stick it would outsell the TE and Hori sticks?
    They're not rare in Europe. I've been offered one which i'm collecting next week.

so if Namco re-released the nam stick it would outsell the TE and Hori sticks?

Well they are hard to find in the U.S. If Namco were to re-release it though, it most likely wouldn't outsell the TE or Hori. This stick is really only appreciated by collectors and arcade stick enthusiasts. The average person imo would look at that stick and say "Its nowhere near as good as a Madcatz TE stick." Thats generally because in comparison, its rather plain looking (To most people).
  • ShinJNShinJN President/COO & Co-Founder of Level Up, LLC, Event & Stream Director/Producer, Old School Tech Talk Joined: Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    That Namco is definitely salvageable. The piece that holds the cord in place is only attached to the cord by a little adhesive. Just cut the cord where it's bad, pull off the cord holder, slide the holder back on and glue into place if necessary, strip the ends of the wire and resolder it to the PCB. You cord will be shorter, but hey, you just fixed your Namco.

I've used my main Namco stick at EVO from 2003 to 2007. It was my go to stick for the longest time. It's in storage now that I have a TE.

The Namco is definitely a collector's piece. If you run across one, no matter the condition, pick it up. You can always clean it up later.
    Jimmy Nguyen
    Level Up, LLC - COO, CFO, CTO, Tech/Production/Stream/Event Director - www.levelup-productions.com, www.levelup-series.com
    The Bear: Wiring Gone Wild - http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/2409761/#Comment_2409761
  • lechatmachinelechatmachine Tiger....Uppercut ! Joined: Posts: 22
    The Namco is definitely a collector's piece. If you run across one, no matter the condition, pick it up. You can always clean it up later.

Quoted for truth, put a MC Cthulhu/Imp/Madcatz hack pad, a bit of paint, a printed artwork and you get a masterpiece ;)

BangBroStickA.jpg
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,832
    Then that just be the Case.
    Laugh.

Namco Arcade Stick cool because it is good stock.

You didn't say about replacing the Buttons and Joystick.
    But the picture of your Bang Namco does have those changes.

In case other people want to see your other Namco work:
      Tony the Tiger -
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=3644203&postcount=697
      Order Sol -
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=5715032&postcount=6043
      Bang Shishigami -
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=6794872&postcount=12866
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    Well they are hard to find in the U.S. If Namco were to re-release it though, it most likely wouldn't outsell the TE or Hori. This stick is really only appreciated by collectors and arcade stick enthusiasts. The average person imo would look at that stick and say "Its nowhere near as good as a Madcatz TE stick." Thats generally because in comparison, its rather plain looking (To most people).

I'm really curious about the namco stick because I overheard the best ST player at my arcade state that it was the best stick ever for a home console.

It looks great to me because it has the 6 button layout which i prefer over 8 (playing with 8 buttons annoys the hell outta me). I also like the simplicity of it.

For Fighters, (lets not talk about the aesthetics), how does it hold up? I think you mentioned earlier thats its personal preference but whats exactly are your personal preferences. How does the joystick feel? why is it different to other sticks and other hori's eventhough it is a Hori?
    I'm really curious about the namco stick because I overheard the best ST player at my arcade state that it was the best stick ever for a home console.

It looks great to me because it has the 6 button layout which i prefer over 8 (playing with 8 buttons annoys the hell outta me). I also like the simplicity of it.

For Fighters, (lets not talk about the aesthetics), how does it hold up? I think you mentioned earlier thats its personal preference but whats exactly are your personal preferences. How does the joystick feel? why is it different to other sticks and other hori's eventhough it is a Hori?

A joystick doesn't make the player. You really just have to get a feel for it and see how you like it. Some people swear by Happ Sticks, Some People swear by sanwa or seimitsu. When it comes to arcade sticks it really is a personal preference. I've gone through a bunch of sticks since SFIV came out and I still haven't found the perfect one that I like. I've had a HRAP 2, HRAP 2 SA, TE Stick, SE Stick, HRAP 3 SE, HRAP EX, T5, EX2, Wii Fighting stick, and Virtua Stick Pro. Out of them all, I end up going back to using my custom Wii Fighting stick. I don't know why but I love the thing

Sexperienced., the Namco is definitely no slouch for fighting games. It was advertised for Namco's PlayStation 1 era fighters after all. I can't talk about what kind of preferences the Namco fits exactly, but these are my observations:

- It has a significantly shorter engage distance than a Sanwa JLF, which to me is good since I play on an LS-32.
    - The microswitches give a very nice audible click and since the microswitches actually have a tangible resistance, it functions a lot better for the Namco Joy Stick with its light spring than the TP-MA microswitches on a JLF work for its super light spring.
    - As far as I'm concerned, the throw on the Namco is not any different from a JLF. That's fine with me personally since I'm just concerned about the engage distance.

The reason the Namco's joystick and buttons are better than anything else HORI has ever made is simple. HORI didn't manufacture the microswitches in the joystick and although I'm not sure who made the microswitches in the buttons, it's definitely much higher quality than the HORI buttons we see today. The Namco's joystick uses microswitches made by the company Omron, the same guys who make the microswitches for Sanwa's joysticks. In other words, even though the rest of the joystick itself is sub-par in part quality, the microswitches are definitely arcade grade.

I wasn't around during the PS1 era arcade stick scene, so I can't comment. Hopefully MarkMan, ShinJN, or zeetes can come in and fill in some info here. I was a young whippersnapper back then who didn't know a thing about arcade sticks.

The feel of the stick I thought was similar to a very worked in Sanwa JLF (although not the same, this is how I'd describe it)

The buttons however are somewhat harder to explain. They feel like Hori's but much softer. Almost no resistance at all. The buttons on mine felt even more responsive than my Sanwas.(sold my Namco stick to the awesome Ikagi-Chan)

However my gripe about this stick is that I'm a Xbox360 player and I didn't want to use a converter plus the case was a little too small for me. I'm a lap player and the Namco case just felt too small in my lap while I played.
    The feel of the stick I thought was similar to a very worked in Sanwa JLF (although not the same, this is how I'd describe it)

The buttons however are somewhat harder to explain. They feel like Hori's but much softer. Almost no resistance at all. The buttons on mine felt even more responsive than my Sanwas.(sold my Namco stick to the awesome Ikagi-Chan)

However my gripe about this stick is that I'm a Xbox360 player and I didn't want to use a converter plus the case was a little too small for me. I'm a lap player and the Namco case just felt too small in my lap while I played.

My only gripe with it as well.

If you're playing on a table top - it's hard to find another stick that is as comfortable to use as the Namco.
    My only gripe with it as well.

If you're playing on a table top - it's hard to find another stick that is as comfortable to use as the Namco.

Oh for sure. I used the stick on a table top and it was pure class.
    thanks guys.

I'm purchasing 2 namco sticks next week and a TE stick next month which i'll mod with Suzo rotterdam sticks (i'm old school, not sure if you guys are familiar with these sticks).

If i dont like the namco sticks i can always mod them with sanwa buttons whish i have plenty of.
    thanks guys.

I'm purchasing 2 namco sticks next week and a TE stick next month which i'll mod with Suzo rotterdam sticks (i'm old school, not sure if you guys are familiar with these sticks).

If i dont like the namco sticks i can always mod them with sanwa buttons whish i have plenty of.

It's a fun mod, I enjoyed doing mine.
    The reason the Namco's joystick and buttons are better than anything else HORI has ever made is simple. HORI didn't manufacture the microswitches in the joystick and although I'm not sure who made the microswitches in the buttons, it's definitely much higher quality than the HORI buttons we see today. The Namco's joystick uses microswitches made by the company Omron, the same guys who make the microswitches for Sanwa's joysticks. In other words, even though the rest of the joystick itself is sub-par in part quality, the microswitches are definitely arcade grade.

Hori sticks always have Omron microswitches and not because they want to use arcade grade components but simply because they're very common, an almost inevitable choice.
    last question, are the sticks stable? I tend to put a little force in my motions.
    If the 4 rubber feet on the bottom are in good condition, then they're extremely stable on a flat surface.
  • d0c_zaiusd0c_zaius tobal 2 missionary Joined: Posts: 394
    Thank you for all the replies.

I should have clarified before, that the stick isnt actually mine yet. A coworker that used to work at Namco had two of these sitting in a garage or something. I was amazed to find out that he didnt really know how good they were. He has one working stick and one with the frayed wires, so I was hoping I could get the frayed wired one for 30$ and fix the cable myself, leaving everything else stock. It would be nice if I could get the other working one too but Im not that lucky usually.

They must have come straight from namco cause there is a sticker on the bottom that reads "Property of Namco Hometek- Inc".

I think Ill try splicing the wires and go from there, as I dont have any soldering experience or equipment.
    tobal 2 best game ever
  • ulovemikerochulovemikeroch Joined: Posts: 1,802
    thanks guys.

How are you going to fit a Suzo rotterdam in those stick cases? Those Suzos are huge.
    Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee