Namco Stick Appreciation!

Comments

• NiFTY NuGGETNiFTY NuGGET derp Joined: Posts: 196
    My little mod job. Had three of these..one like new in box so I didn't feel AS guilty cutting one up a little. Installed an old PS360 board I had sitting around. Sanwa buttons. Stock joystick but a 2lb JLF spring which I like alot better. Kept the L1 and L2, and start, select functionality. USB cable I pulled from a Hori fit perfectly. Usually my go to travel stick. Getting it all to fit...not as easy as it was in my head lol.
    IMG_1627_zpsgs9hs4oz.jpg
    IMG_1628_zpsccqsjpf6.jpg
    IMG_1626_zpsxshrcxfh.jpg
  • MazzaMazza Joined: Posts: 18
    edited August 2016
    Not fully complete but finally got around to wiring my first arcade stick.
    I still plan to paint the shell white and get a plexi cover with artwork to hide my silly mistake of scratching the case too.
    Might also redo the wiring to make it more tidier in there so adding weight to it becomes easier.

Costed me only $5 for the stick itself. Shipping was $35 so a $40 working Namco from Japan isn't too bad.

Originally looked like this
    s-l500.jpg

Now looks like this!
    40e5067d6f.jpg
    40e5013f2a.jpg
    40e4f3f408.jpg
    40e4e42cab.jpg
    40e4fae17f.jpg

Next to my untouched Namco for comparison
    40e4ca42a0.jpg
    Post edited by Mazza on
  • doujinshi_2001doujinshi_2001 Superman That Ho Joined: Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    sorry to revive this somewhat old thread but i need a bit of assistance....i recently had my namco stick modded with a jlf stick but the shaft seems a bit too high for my liking....is there a way to shorten it at all? i've tried using the hori shaft but it doesn't seem to work right...when i press right on the stick it's stuck there. any help would be appreciated!
    Niggas got carlos canceled two days in a row. - Adam Warlock
    Pokemon Heart Gold: 5242 4130 9548
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,521
    sorry to revive this somewhat old thread but i need a bit of assistance....i recently had my namco stick modded with a jlf stick but the shaft seems a bit too high for my liking....is there a way to shorten it at all? i've tried using the hori shaft but it doesn't seem to work right...when i press right on the stick it's stuck there. any help would be appreciated!
    You can try one of the shorter JLF shafts that are sold at Paradise Arcade:
    http://paradisearcadeshop.com/631-shafts

The last time I JLF-modded a Namco, I used the stock Namco shaft as per the client's request, and it seemed to work fine.
    If I remember correctly, I had to use the stock Namco actuator as well. The feel changes a little bit, but it was fully usable.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • doujinshi_2001doujinshi_2001 Superman That Ho Joined: Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You can try one of the shorter JLF shafts that are sold at Paradise Arcade:
    http://paradisearcadeshop.com/631-shafts

The last time I JLF-modded a Namco, I used the stock Namco shaft as per the client's request, and it seemed to work fine.
    If I remember correctly, I had to use the stock Namco actuator as well. The feel changes a little bit, but it was fully usable.

well that's the thing...when i use it one direction (particularly right) seems to be stuck there as if the microswitch is being activated....i'll make a video and show you what i mean. it fits fine and everything.
    Niggas got carlos canceled two days in a row. - Adam Warlock
    Pokemon Heart Gold: 5242 4130 9548
  • finch85finch85 Joined: Posts: 11
    Just bought on Amazon The Namco PS1 Joystick for 12 euros. The seller says that it is in "acceptable condition"...For that price i expect the worse! However, I want to transform it into a hitbox. This would be my second Namco...I bought the first one in 1998 and it's still untouched. What a lovely creature!
  • StrtFghtrMstrStrtFghtrMstr SRnk1VaBeachAlphaTeam Joined: Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    My Hayabusa mounted fine
    finch85 wrote: »
    Just bought on Amazon The Namco PS1 Joystick for 12 euros. The seller says that it is in "acceptable condition"...For that price i expect the worse! However, I want to transform it into a hitbox. This would be my second Namco...I bought the first one in 1998 and it's still untouched. What a lovely creature!

You'ld have to get a custom plexi/plastic/wood/metal panel to drill your cardinal directions if the stock joystick hole ruins your preferred hitbox layout.

But very good price for playable condition!
    Just a veteran player enjoying competitive SFV & the CPT
    -Kaillera veteran (GodWeapon Anti3d)
    -SFA3 Replay Tournament Champion (21-0)
    -Sticks & Setups currently owned
    -Namco w/HFC/SilentKuros/SilentHayabusa-Zippys
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 w/JLF+Silent Zippy&uSW mod/OBS-MX Reds+Silent O-Rings/Qanba/Seimetsu/PCBs360VX+HFC4, Jansen x5 19MM Turbo Panel
    -VLX 360 Stock
    -TE-S Six-Axis PCB w/ShinJN adapter
    -H2H setups: Zowie RLH2460HT, Asus VX238H-W & Monoprice 8204
  • finch85finch85 Joined: Posts: 11
    edited February 3
    My Hayabusa mounted fine
    finch85 wrote: »

You'ld have to get a custom plexi/plastic/wood/metal panel to drill your cardinal directions if the stock joystick hole ruins your preferred hitbox layout.

But very good price for playable condition!

thanks for your advices! In addition to this, if i make a hitbox, I don't know what to do with the preinstalled L1 / L2 buttons...maybe i could use them as a "home" and "trackpad" buttons...

-edit:
    too good to be true...the seller canceled my order, maybe he found out that his price was too low...now I've found another Namco for 50 euro, and i'ts in very good condition. My dilemma is:
    to mod or not to mod? I know I'm a little paranoid, but i see these Namco sticks as something more than a piece of plastic and metal, and maybe it's a pity to convert a good condition model into a hitbox.

-edit2:
    bought for 42euro (shipping included).
    here it is: https://goo.gl/photos/wQ5usrKEiniavSr6A
    Post edited by finch85 on
  • tusecsytusecsy Joined: Posts: 15
    edited July 20
    Hey sorry to resurrect an old thread as a new user just a quick question.

Love the Namco but I'd like to replace the stock square gate with an octagonal one. Both my sanwa and seimitsu restrictors appear to be too small for it. Is there any place which still sells the bigger restrictor gates for these things? Would rather not have to do any heavy modding or dremeling if at all possible.
    Post edited by tusecsy on
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 1,017
    Hi

I got no idea about that, but give square an extended run, most of the time it's just a mental thing
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,823
    For the Stock Namco joystick?
    You are not finding a octagonal gate for it. Anyways Octagonal gates actually makes diagonal directions harder to hit, despite making all the directions easier to find.
    It also reenforces the bad habit of grinding the gate too hard as you feel around for each direction.

For both New and Pro players the Square Gate is the most recommended gate out there.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    edited July 20
    I appreciate your efforts to sway my preference but I'm not really a fighter fan (where I see the corners being very useful), mainly into shmups where the octagonal gate is far better. I like to grind my gates. Really no place to purchase an octagonal replacement? The Hayabusa gate won't work? Still the smaller sanwa seimitsu size?

sigh....

ok how do i go about modding this damn thing lol.
    tusecsy wrote: »
    I appreciate your efforts to sway my preference but I'm not really a fighter fan (where I see the corners being very useful), mainly into shmups where the octagonal gate is far better. I like to grind my gates. Really no place to purchase an octagonal replacement?

sigh....

Nice, another Shmup fan.

I kinda fail to see the need for a octo-gate for a shmup as most don't need semi circular inputs.

Only way I really see to getting a custom gate for a obscure stick like the old Namco stick is ether laser cut one from acrylic or to 3D print one,
    not a easy undertaking for some who don't have access to ether option and want a one off.

As a fan of Shmups my self I prefer Seimitsu joysticks, the LS-32 and LS-40 are both really great all around sticks. It might be do-able with a LS-56/58
    But installing one in a Namco is no small feat ether.

I might suggest you try a different arcade controller that can already take a Japanese style joystick.
    edited July 20
    Darksakul wrote: »
    I appreciate your efforts to sway my preference but I'm not really a fighter fan (where I see the corners being very useful), mainly into shmups where the octagonal gate is far better. I like to grind my gates. Really no place to purchase an octagonal replacement?

sigh....

Nice, another Shmup fan.

I kinda fail to see the need for a octo-gate for a shmup as most don't need semi circular inputs.

Only way I really see to getting a custom gate for a obscure stick like the old Namco stick is ether laser cut one from acrylic or to 3D print one,
    not a easy undertaking for some who don't have access to ether option and want a one off.

As a fan of Shmups my self I prefer Seimitsu joysticks, the LS-32 and LS-40 are both really great all around sticks. It might be do-able with a LS-56/58

I might suggest you try a different arcade controller that can already take a Japanese style joystick.

I won't tell you how to play fighters and you don't tell me how to play shmups how about that? I find the LS-56 to be the absolute worst joystick on the market for instance (pops out of socket at the slightest nudge).

I just asked a simple question, figured this was the right thread on the internet for it considering whats been talked about within. But I guess gate preference is a hot button issue around these parts LOL.
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,521
    You won't be able to fit an octo-gate on the stock joystick in the Namco; since the "gate" is actually the lower half of the joystick housing, you'd have to at least replace the entire lower half. There's no existing octo-gate that'll fit on the stock housing, so you're out of luck there.

If you really want the octo-gate, your best bet would be to replace the stock joystick with a JLF, and put in an octo-gate on that. The installation mod itself isn't too hard (there's tons of reference out there on how it's done), and some people even prefer using the stock Namco actuator and shaft on the JLF after it's been swapped in.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    edited July 20
    You won't be able to fit an octo-gate on the stock joystick in the Namco; since the "gate" is actually the lower half of the joystick housing, you'd have to at least replace the entire lower half. There's no existing octo-gate that'll fit on the stock housing, so you're out of luck there.

If you really want the octo-gate, your best bet would be to replace the stock joystick with a JLF, and put in an octo-gate on that. The installation mod itself isn't too hard (there's tons of reference out there on how it's done), and some people even prefer using the stock Namco actuator and shaft on the JLF after it's been swapped in.

Sweet thank you, actually just found the article talking about swapping the JLF in there I'll get on that. The hori joystick throw I really love but it does have a small bit of the problem the LS-32 has with the pop out on the edges. Swapping the stick should be the perfect solution. Thanks again!
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,968
    If you want an octo gate for stock Hori joysticks then you'll need to find a way to 3D print one, that is the only way.

I've never noticed any popping with the LS-56, you sure you aren't confusing it with the LS-32?

sigh....

Nice, another Shmup fan.

I won't tell you how to play fighters and you don't tell me how to play shmups how about that? I find the LS-56 to be the absolute worst joystick on the market for instance (pops out of socket at the slightest nudge).

I just asked a simple question, figured this was the right thread on the internet for it considering whats been talked about within. But I guess gate preference is a hot button issue around these parts LOL.

I am telling you how things are from a factual perspective and telling you what the larger consensus of the community agrees on.
    You can play how ever you dam well please, but I going to tell you how things actually are and you can proceed from there.

Facts is the Namco stick is difficult to mod, even harder if you want to keep the appearance of it being stock.
    There no aftermarket parts that are drop in replacements for the existing Namco stick.

And what you are looking for in a Shump stick, I telling you where to start looking. You can do what ever you want with the Info, but the facts remain.
    Also the JLF is terrible for Shumps, it's very much a Fighter Stick. This isn't my personal opinion but the larger consensus of everyone that sat down and experimented with arcade controls for shmups.

You are also confusing the LS-56 for the LS-32 with the popping out of socket. Even then the LS-32 is preferred by most over the JLF for Shoot em ups.

Sweet thank you, actually just found the article talking about swapping the JLF in there I'll get on that. The hori joystick throw I really love but it does have a small bit of the problem the LS-56 has with the pop out on the edges. Swapping the stick should be the perfect solution. Thanks again!

If you don't know what you are doing, you will ruin a Namco Stick by shoving a JLF in there. A Sanwa JLF is not a easy drop in replacement and requires modification of both the JLF and Namco stick.
    But go head it's your money. And if you fuck it up, don't come crying back for help as I told you so.
    edited July 20

sigh....

Nice, another Shmup fan.

I am telling you how things are from a factual perspective and telling you what the larger consensus of the community agrees on.
    You can play how ever you dam well please, but I going to tell you how things actually are and you can proceed from there.

Facts is the Namco stick is difficult to mod, even harder if you want to keep the appearance of it being stock.
    There no aftermarket parts that are drop in replacements for the existing Namco stick.

And what you are looking for in a Shump stick, I telling you where to start looking. You can do what ever you want with the Info, but the facts remain.
    Also the JLF is terrible for Shumps, it's very much a Fighter Stick. This isn't my personal opinion but the larger consensus of everyone that sat down and experimented with arcade controls for shmups.

You are also confusing the LS-56 for the LS-32 with the popping out of socket. Even then the LS-32 is preferred by most over the JLF for Shoot em ups.

Sweet thank you, actually just found the article talking about swapping the JLF in there I'll get on that. The hori joystick throw I really love but it does have a small bit of the problem the LS-56 has with the pop out on the edges. Swapping the stick should be the perfect solution. Thanks again!

If you don't know what you are doing, you will ruin a Namco Stick by shoving a JLF in there. A Sanwa JLF is not a easy drop in replacement and requires modification of both the JLF and Namco stick.
    But go head it's your money. And if you fuck it up, don't come crying back for help as I told you so.

I couldn't give a shit what your opinion is kid, sorry.
    gahrling wrote: »
    If you want an octo gate for stock Hori joysticks then you'll need to find a way to 3D print one, that is the only way.

I've never noticed any popping with the LS-56, you sure you aren't confusing it with the LS-32?

Ahh yes the LS-32 is the one with the problem, knew it was one of them. Was really disappointed in my hori ex-se when I got it for that reason, had to swap it.

sigh....

Nice, another Shmup fan.

Yet you came here to ask of everyone's opinions on how do to your mod. Otherwise you would not come here.

:coffee:
    Ahh yes the LS-32 is the one with the problem, knew it was one of them. Was really disappointed in my hori ex-se when I got it for that reason, had to swap it.

I really dislike the LS-32 for the same reason, I know it's a very popular choice for SHMUPS.. just not my cup of tea.

The LS-55, 56, and 58 actually have incredibly good octo gates (though the default is square), and have much better construction quality than a LS-32. Any joystick is going to be a pain to install in a Namco stick because of how shallow it is along with the slope. It can be done, but the end results are often pretty disappointing IMO.

sigh....

Nice, another Shmup fan.

Yet you came here to ask of everyone's opinions on how do to your mod. Otherwise you would not come here.

:coffee:

No shit?
  • DEZALBDEZALB "Yamazaki Nigari" Joined: Posts: 610
    edited July 20
    How shallow is the namco case compared to the hori fighting stick (PS/NEO/SS) line? Just curious since ive been doing alot of hori stick mods lately.

I really dislike the LS-32 for the same reason, I know it's a very popular choice for SHMUPS.. just not my cup of tea.

The LS-55, 56, and 58 actually have incredibly good octo gates (though the default is square), and have much better construction quality than a LS-32. Any joystick is going to be a pain to install in a Namco stick because of how shallow it is along with the slope. It can be done, but the end results are often pretty disappointing IMO.

Agree on the ls-56 it's the install on my go to hori.

Ya I actually had a spare jlf laying around this is definitely going to be a project.

Thinking I might just try to put some screw holes into the sanwa octo gate and try to attach it that way. Worst case I just screw up a 2$ gate. I don't think the whole original gate contraption with the clips is really needed since the 4 long screws secure the whole setup in place anyway? Or am I missing something.
    DEZALB wrote: »
    How shallow is the namco case compared to the hori fighting stick (PS/NEO/SS) line? Just curious since ive been doing alot of hori stick mods lately.

The dimensions are similar, but with the old school Hori FS range you can drop in something like a LS-56 with no hassle what so ever. However there's no escaping the pain that a Namco stick will give you when modding it.
    Thinking I might just try to put some screw holes into the sanwa octo gate and try to attach it that way. Worst case I just screw up a 2$ gate. I don't think the whole original gate contraption with the clips is really needed since the 4 long screws secure the whole setup in place anyway? Or am I missing something.

The joystick microswitches are held in place by a hole on each side. With your suggestion, one hole would have a screw going through it but it will need the plastic pin on the Sanwa gate to fit in the other hole. I've never tried lining them up before but I can't promise you it will work out.

And you might still encounter problems with getting the Namco stick put back together because JLF gates are unnecessarily chunky and might clash with the metal base plate.

The dimensions are similar, but with the old school Hori FS range you can drop in something like a LS-56 with no hassle what so ever. However there's no escaping the pain that a Namco stick will give you when modding it.

I have an old snes hori fs and dropped in an ls-56 no problem, although it is very close to rubbing. The namco is definitely looking like a much different story, way thinner.

The joystick microswitches are held in place by a hole on each side. With your suggestion, one hole would have a screw going through it but it will need the plastic pin on the Sanwa gate to fit in the other hole. I've never tried lining them up before but I can't promise you it will work out.

And you might still encounter problems with getting the Namco stick put back together because JLF gates are unnecessarily chunky and might clash with the metal base plate.

Ya I will definitely need to do some dremmeling to make it fit because of the gate. Probably better to try a seimitsu gate with this method. The holes don't seem to line up on the sanwa but i'll work on it.

I seen most people do is lose the metal mount plate and drill though the JLF, using the preexisting mount screw and threads on the case.

Like this
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s4.photobucket.com/user/wilazn/media/Custom sticks/Modded Namco Stick/IMG_0005.jpg.html

Here how you mount a JLF gate on a existing Stock Namco joystick
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/kiki_daiso/media/bWVkaWFJZDoxMDI4NTQ0MDM=/?ref=

I seen most people do is lose the metal mount plate and drill though the JLF, using the preexisting mount screw and threads on the case.

Like this
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s4.photobucket.com/user/wilazn/media/Custom sticks/Modded Namco Stick/IMG_0005.jpg.html

Here how you mount a JLF gate on a existing Stock Namco joystick
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/kiki_daiso/media/bWVkaWFJZDoxMDI4NTQ0MDM=/?ref=

Awesome that's just what I needed, thank you.
  • DEZALBDEZALB "Yamazaki Nigari" Joined: Posts: 610

Actually to mount a LS56 at the proper height and keeping the orginal shaft/cover its alot harder. Had to modify shaft and actuator.
    Hori Fighting Stick Neo 2 with a Seimitsu LS56 and Seimitsu PS14G buttons. Just modded this for a member. Due to shallow case i had to modify the LS56 shaft to match the bottom half of the Hori shaft. Other methods like swapping shafts didnt work because stick height was coming out to about 20.5mm

received_10154829851801491_zpskyven3ve.jpeg

IMAG0340_zpsznitsg0m.jpg

SHAFT1_zpsxzdou7t8.jpg SHAFT2_zpsupg4g0tq.jpg

Ahh yes the Hori FS for snes I have is a different design with more room.
    edited July 20
    Thanks for the help everyone.

For future reference, a 1/8" drill bit on the 4 spots of the sanwa gate where the screw holes will do the trick. You will need to dremel off the two tabs that extend off the bottom of the gate. Other than that, ez pz.

WYb1kK6.jpg

Now all you have to worry about is how the Hori actuator interacts with the Sanwa gate :p

Now all you have to worry about is how the Hori actuator interacts with the Sanwa gate :p

Seems to be working ok, what should I look out for?
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,455
    Might have less throw past neutral into diagonals. If it works, great.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,396

Worst case scenario is that he'll have to shave a JLF actuator down to match the height of the Hori one. The angle on the part that doesn't hit the gate is a bit different between them and I recall some issues with parts getting stuck way back whenever I was doing a Namco case mod. I think I used a sanding disk on a dremel to "lower" the JLF actuator.
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
    edited July 21
    Might have less throw past neutral into diagonals. If it works, great.

This may be happening a small bit but nothing too noticeable. I'm pretty anal about such things.

This has to be the best arcade stick ever made, the buttons are so damn good, can do the 3 finger flick for days. Does anyone make buttons like these anymore? They seem more lightweight and responsive.

Sticks actually pretty great too. The popout ala the ls-32 is very very tiny and not really noticeable during gameplay.
    Does anyone make buttons like these anymore? They seem more lightweight and responsive.

Nope, the closest thing are probably the Seimitsu PS-14-G.. but you may need to make the holes bigger to fit them as they're 30mm buttons. I think Namco buttons were approx 28.5mm?
    edited July 22
    Does anyone make buttons like these anymore? They seem more lightweight and responsive.
    What you could do is just swap out the microswitches of the stock Namco buttons with Sanwa SW-68 switches
    Take apart and clean the old buttons in some warm soapy water, dry them, place the new Sanwa switches in there and rewire the buttons.