1-800-help-a-nub; The FAQ

Comments

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    great thread. you have collected and organized a great list. Thanks!
  • BentoBoxBentoBox Bop Alloy Joined: Posts: 668
    Added a Q about input shortcuts. For some, its a godsend (I personally had a hard time performing 2x QCF motions on a square gate) for others, it's a hindrance. Anyways, if you didn't know about them, it might make your life a lot easier, especially if you're starting out!
    Only dead fish swim with the stream~
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,373
    Where can I find execution window frame data? In other words, how many frames do you have to execute :qcf: + :p: for the game to recognize it as a fireball?

edit:
    Apparently DP's have a fixed 15 frame window in HDR.
    All Dragon Punches are easier because the timing window to perform them is no longer random - you now always get a 15 frame window
    http://www.sirlin.net/articles/street-fighter-hd-remix-design-overview.html

Are SFIV's input windows fixed or random/probabilistic?
  • TwistTwist RadarTrap Joined: Posts: 698
    Where can I find execution window frame data? In other words, how many frames do you have to execute :qcf: + :p: for the game to recognize it as a fireball?

Unless you can accurately measure time in tiny fractions of seconds that info isn't actually going to help you. You're best off going into training mode and trying, through trial and error, to find the feel of how slowly you can do it before the move doesn't come out. SF4 is very lenient in this respect.

To answer your question though, I don't think that info has been made public and it would be very difficult to accurately reverse engineer it through experimentation.
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,373
    Unless you can accurately measure time in tiny fractions of seconds that info isn't actually going to help you.

Well I'm thinking of writing a little program that accepts button inputs and based on frame data it will tell you what moves will execute. Maybe it can be used as a combo-trainer or something like that. I can't make it too advanced if I don't have realistic data though.

[edit]
    Something like this with less flash and more detail.
  • eoneoeoneo i quit a sf Joined: Posts: 501
    Is it possible to FA from a non-special move cancelable normal (eg ken cr. rh/hk)?

No.

However, there seem to be some exceptions to the rule. For example, Guile can FADC through the first hit of his cr.HK (sweep).

i was arguing with someone about this. he said FADC-ability had nothing to do with special or super cancel properties. i won. haha

so it turns out, normals can be FADC'd if

a) they can be special cancelled, OR
    b) they can be super cancelled.

so yeah, i know for sure that guile and boxer can SUPER cancel from their sweep, and that's why they can FADC out of them. same goes for ryu and dan's close HK. the only other example that comes to mind is ryu's far standing MP. i don't play enough other characters to site more examples, though haha. i know the original japanese frame data from a long time ago listed cancellability though. haven't had a chance to see the new one yet.

i thought it was a retarded feature to be able to super cancel a sweep at first, but then i realized it's probably an option to bait and punish an FA from the opponent.
    BEARcade
    Good stuff eoneo :D! Thanks a lot~

Modified the OP.
  • TreasureDenTreasureDen Joined: Posts: 79
    I have a question for focus armor.

As seen in this video at 1:57 :

How do you block the c.mk and could still do focus attack to absorb the hadoken? I try this and I'm stuck in block stun. Even when I release the joystick, my character will still block, I can't get the focus attack to come out.
  • Stuart HaydenStuart Hayden Outspoken User. Joined: Posts: 11,639
    Cool.
    R.I.P Seth Michael Hayden
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Fuck $RK

www.breakdancingrobot.com
  • epy0nkaruepy0nkaru Pad Warrior Kain Joined: Posts: 386
    Careful guys, I think you're talking about two separate things. I think the original wording of that line in the FAQ needs re-writing to make it clearer, but it is correct.

BentoBox's FAQ was saying that if you do a 'special move cancellable' normal move, then you can cancel it with a FA - but if you do a 'NON special move cancellable' normal then you can't cancel it with a FA.

epy0nkaru is saying that you can FA a 'NON special move cancellable' normal that your opp has thrown out.

...at least that's the way I read it... :sweat:

no no i meant that GUILE can cancel out of the first hit of his cr.hk
    Rose
  • ZaotsuZaotsu Joined: Posts: 39
    I have a question for focus armor.

As seen in this video at 1:57 :

How do you block the c.mk and could still do focus attack to absorb the hadoken? I try this and I'm stuck in block stun. Even when I release the joystick, my character will still block, I can't get the focus attack to come out.

Are you standing right next to Ken when he does his c.mk? If he does it from about the farthest that he can, and then cancels into a Hadoken, you can put in a focus attack in the middle. I guess the little extra distance that the Hadoken has to follow gives your character enough time to get out of blockstun.
    SSFIV - Sakura, Cammy
    BlazBlue - Taokaka
  • S-LaughterS-Laughter Joined: Posts: 327
    I didn't read passed the first posts, I saw there was no stun information. I'm playing fuerte, and the stun is a strong part of his game. Can I please get some info on stun?

edit: And by stun, I mean daze?
    < SF5 - Steam zentooshi - CFN Shosuko - PS4 S-Laughter - CFN Rainbo-nana-Mika >
    no no i meant that GUILE can cancel out of the first hit of his cr.hk

Yeah eoneo's post above cleared it up for me. I was confused.... :sweat:
    Good thread with good info.

It'd be better without all the upfront fellatiating of the SRK "OG Superstars" though. I can see why you've done it since it's pretty much required for an 09'r to start all posts talking about how scruby he is and how unworthy of the "experts" time he is in order to not get flamed or neg-repped.

It's a message board. About a video game. You can get anymore nerdy than that. There's nothing to worship here.

Good info though.
    I have a question.

I always thought a j.mk, c.jab, c.jab for example would give me enough frame advantage to do a throw or followup move safely without having to worry about an enemy jab for example. But nevertheless I often eat a SRK or jab etc. while doing a double c.jab. How is that possible with frame advantages/blockstun?

Thanks.
    Good thread with good info.

It'd be better without all the upfront fellatiating of the SRK "OG Superstars" though. I can see why you've done it since it's pretty much required for an 09'r to start all posts talking about how scruby he is and how unworthy of the "experts" time he is in order to not get flamed or neg-repped.

It's a message board. About a video game. You can get anymore nerdy than that. There's nothing to worship here.

Good info though.

They were not all "OG Superstars". As stated, most of the questions' answers were given in the SF4 BEGINNERS THREAD by random members of the SRK community, old and new, and I just wasn't comfortable with taking all credit for simply compiling information coming from other people's mouths. Take it as referencing if you will; nothing in my tone indicated worshiping... I'm simply thanking them~
  • TroNTroN Greetings Program! Joined: Posts: 105
    Excellent thread that answers many of my questions. Thank you!
    The shortcuts should help me. Lately I've been accused of spamming specials. But, I'm trying to pull of an ultra or super. I end up with a special. I guess stick control help too?
    gauging a new players progression

I haven't played since SF2, picked up SF4 and found a strong nostalgic connection plus a whole new level of play obviously since SF2. Problem is with all the changes since SF2 Ive found my skills are barely ably to carry me through very easy arcade mode. The last 3 weeks Ive put about 60 hours into the championship mode and now find myself half way through the G2-E rank, after seeing the GP points required to rank up to the next levels if feel like I'm moving very slowly. I know it takes a lot of time to get better at this game and was just wondering how much time/progress new players like me are clocking. I want to make it clear that I'm not complaining just looking for help to benchmark my progress!
    Updated with Hotobu's Guide at the top of the Helpful Links section~
    *NEW* -SRK's Hotobu Guide/Lexicon
    Hotobu wrote a massive guide/lexicon which breaks down every single term and system pertaining to SF as simply as possible. Gathers pretty much all the relevant information you'll find on sonichurricane.com and other sites of the like in one convenient location!
  • Nemesys_SyndromeNemesys_Syndrome What the?! Where?! Joined: Posts: 2,412
    I haven't played since SF2, picked up SF4 and found a strong nostalgic connection plus a whole new level of play obviously since SF2. Problem is with all the changes since SF2 Ive found my skills are barely ably to carry me through very easy arcade mode. The last 3 weeks Ive put about 60 hours into the championship mode and now find myself half way through the G2-E rank, after seeing the GP points required to rank up to the next levels if feel like I'm moving very slowly. I know it takes a lot of time to get better at this game and was just wondering how much time/progress new players like me are clocking. I want to make it clear that I'm not complaining just looking for help to benchmark my progress!

You're in the same boat as me. I'm also in the G2-E rank as well. Although I've mostly given up on playing CE rankings (almost). But it's a slow and steady uphill battle. It does take awhile. Although you can pick a DP masher and fly through the competition as well. lol.
  • JoontheBaboonJoontheBaboon Ken Masters. Joined: Posts: 1,518
    Hey guys, I'm having a little problem: I have a '46 Samsung 1080 P / 120 HZ / LCD HDTV. Both my controllers on my PS3 had slow response time, but when I connected the HDMI cable it was responsive. I got the Tournament Edition Fight stick today but for some reason the joy stick has slow response time (only the joystick, not the buttons). I've tried my friend's TE Fight Stick on XBOX 360 and it wasn't like this.

Help?
    Facebook.com/JoontheBaboon
    Twitter.com/JoontheBaboon
    im a newbie and for the life of me cannot figure out the fadc->ultra with any character. ive been practicing with ryu just to get the basics of it. but right as i come out of dash the opponent is half way back to the ground. and by the time i finish inputting the ultra he's already hit the ground. i've read countless threads on how to do it, watched every single youtube video on how to do it. spent from 11:30pm until 7am with not one successful attempt. sigh. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    im a newbie and for the life of me cannot figure out the fadc->ultra with any character. ive been practicing with ryu just to get the basics of it. but right as i come out of dash the opponent is half way back to the ground. and by the time i finish inputting the ultra he's already hit the ground. i've read countless threads on how to do it, watched every single youtube video on how to do it. spent from 11:30pm until 7am with not one successful attempt. sigh. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It's just practice mate. Everybody has difficulty with this move when they first try to learn it. This thread has good suggestions on how to break it down and practice the individual components before putting them all together.

For me (and everyone else I'd imagine) you start out not being able to do it at all. Then eventually you can do it sometimes in training mode. Then you can do it most of the time in training mode. Then you get lucky one day and do it in a match. Eventually you can pull it out regularly in matches, but only when you're lucky and they don't block. Then finally you'll reach the point where you can do it regularly in matches and only throw out the ultra if the shoryuken was successful.

I don't know about anyone else but I certainly didn't become comfortable with it in one night....
  • CuzCuz Joined: Posts: 544

You don't have to wait until FA hits the oponent to input the dash. You can dash the moment your character starts moving for his strike. If you look in the Guile forum there's a video of how to fadc into his ultra, it'll give you a good example of how early you can dash cancel.
    Acrid, I would suggest trying to get it down with Gouken first as I do believe he has the biggest window to input the Ultra after the FADC~ It goes Ex palm (srk motion) -> FADC -> Ultra/Super.

And like Cuz said, you can dash really early, so at first you should just practice on getting your SRK -> FADC down, just to get the dash timing down, and once you're confident with said timing, buffer your 2x QCF right after you've dashed (you don't need to wait for your character to dash on screen) and press 3P right after your character actually DOES dash.

Alternatively, you can :dp:+:p: -> [:mp:+:mk:+:qcf::qcf:] -> :3p:; if you do it fast enough, the two :r:s in the 2x QCF will actually buffer your dash as well as count as your ultra motion~ Though I would suggest to learn it the normal way first,as you get more proficient with your inputs, you might want to give this a try.
    tried again. still can't get it. tried with gouken. im pretty sure what im doing wrong has to do with the timing between the dash and the ultra-input. oh well. practice'll pay off i guess. thank you all for the help. i really appreciate it. pce.
  • HotobuHotobu Simpsonized Joined: Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

:r: Helpful Links:

*NEW* -SRK's Hotobu Guide/Lexicon
    Hotobu wrote a massive guide/lexicon which breaks down every single term and system pertaining to SF as simply as possible. Gathers pretty much all the relevant information you'll find on sonichurricane.com and other sites of the like in one convenient location!

I'm not trying to self promote here, but apparently my FAQ has gotten a decent number of hits, and I'm looking for some feedback.
  • IceWillyIceWilly SJC into NOTHING Joined: Posts: 331
    quick question.

Why do certain moves break armor... that are not in fact armor breaking? Honda's butt splash for one has shattered me mid focus. Given him counter hit as well. I do not believe I released the FA prior to him hitting me, but i am not ruling it out.

The only thing I can think of is that it was a reversal sumo splash from a wake up.

So the question becomes... in what situations are non armor breaking moves in fact able to break armor. (assume standing focus attacks, not moves with EX armor)

Reversals?
    Reversals only on wakeup?
    All specials performed as reversals?

Thanks for the clarification
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 9,890
    any special as a reversal, on wakeup or otherwise, will break armor
  • HotobuHotobu Simpsonized Joined: Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    any special as a reversal, on wakeup or otherwise, will break armor

Except projectiles.
  • DyllynDyllyn Have a nice day Joined: Posts: 263
    Hi i'm a newbie. i've been reading help threads like this and there's this one move that happens when someone is doing a block string on another character that i don't understand. it happens in this video

at 0:34. Feurte blocks a jump in then a jab and another jab. on the second jab there's this little blue light, feurte's stance changes slightly, the word technical shows up and boxer gets pushed back a bit. what is this and how do you get it to activate? is it some kind of pushblock? (i play marvel but this is my first sf game)
    ...on the second jab there's this little blue light...

He's just teching a throw attempt. Basically, if your opponent inputs the throw command, and then you input the throw command within the next 10 frames then you'll tech it and not get thrown.
    Am I the only one who unlocked all the characters before realizing that the left trigger and bumper pressed all three buttons at once? -_-
  • Tao JonesTao Jones Industrial Average Joined: Posts: 189
    I didn't really know where to post this exactly, and figured this might be the more frequented thread, but I'm starting a blog for beginners by a beginner about how to progress and improve if you're new to Street Fighter and fighting games in general. I am going to basically chronicle my experiences, mistakes, thoughts and analysis for other beginners to sort of follow and learn from so that maybe they don't fall into a lot of the same pitfalls that I do. My first post is all about how to handle losing so frequently, which all beginners do... next time I'll be talking about learning to use a stick, etc.. hit it up if you've got some time at http://sahnsei.blogspot.com
  • allstylesallstyles Joined: Posts: 79
    can anybody tell me what is a TT ??
    cant find it after searching a few minutes :wonder:
  • ValarisValaris keeping watch over SRK Joined: Posts: 13,078 mod
    can anybody tell me what is a TT ??
    cant find it after searching a few minutes :wonder:

If referring to Abel that's his Tornado Throw.
    I slept with admins so I could get my join date changed. 
  • allstylesallstyles Joined: Posts: 79
    If referring to Abel that's his Tornado Throw.

indeed i was referring to somthing in the abel topic :wgrin:
    thanks!
    Hey guys, just bought SF4 for 360 yesterday and I've been playing some player matches with Sakura as I really enjoy playing her. Anyways, I have some questions (this is like my first Street Fighter, so bear with me):

1.) So I get knocked down, and the other guy is right next to my body waiting for me to get up. I usually anticipate a low attack so as I'm getting up so I make sure im holding DownBack. This works, however, I was facing a Guile just now and I keep getting grabbed as I get up. Don't grabs only work on standing opponents? I just have no idea what I can do when I getting back on my feet except hold a block and pray.

2.) How do you cancel moves? I've been trying the hard trial mode and there is a part when i have to do a combo into a shouken -- but cancel it before it even rises and do a super instead. I've done it by accident by just spamming the analog stick, but yeah.

3.) The directions your press to do moves depends on what side of the screen your on. However, if my opponent jumps over me while im in the middle of something (a block, a charge move, a super), do I adjust with the direction change?

Simple example: I'm blocking back, he jumps over me and starts wailing on me -- do I keep holding block in the same directions or do I shift as he's jumping over me (which is hard..). Being jumped over just confuses me, especially in the corner.

thanks
    Except projectiles.

werd
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,828
    spacejam, may I add you to my Xbox LIVE Friends List?
    I too am a Sakura Player. :lovin:

Okay, Throws can be done to opponent even if they are Crouch.

Now, if you are Crouch, you can Tech their Throw.
    You can also Option Select a Tech Throw.
    Hold Down-back and press Light Punch and Light Kick.

What will happen is that you will Tech Throw if opponent does a Throw.
    If opponent does not do a throw, then you will do a Crouching Light Kick or Crouching Light Punch.
    It's cool.

About your Cancel-thing.
    Isn't that the Shouoken to Haru Ichiban in Normal Trial 4?
    j.HK -> c.HP xx Shouoken xx Haru Ichiban
    That one right?

I'm thinking you already know what a Cancel is?
    To do a Normal Move then execute a Special Move before animation of Normal ends.
    Normal Trial 3 you learn about Cancels.

With last Trial of Normal Trial 4, do a HP Shouoken.
    Doing HP Shouoken will give time to Cancel into Haru Ichiban.

You do that?
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    spacejam, may I add you to my Xbox LIVE Friends List?
    I too am a Sakura Player. :lovin:

Okay, Throws can be done to opponent even if they are Crouch.

Now, if you are Crouch, you can Tech their Throw.
    You can also Option Select a Tech Throw.
    Hold Down-back and press Light Punch and Light Kick.

What will happen is that you will Tech Throw if opponent does a Throw.
    If opponent does not do a throw, then you will do a Crouching Light Kick or Crouching Light Punch.
    It's cool.

About your Cancel-thing.
    Isn't that the Shouoken to Haru Ichiban in Normal Trial 4?
    j.HK -> c.HP xx Shouoken xx Haru Ichiban
    That one right?

I'm thinking you already know what a Cancel is?
    To do a Normal Move then execute a Special Move before animation of Normal ends.
    Normal Trial 3 you learn about Cancels.

With last Trial of Normal Trial 4, do a HP Shouoken.
    Doing HP Shouoken will give time to Cancel into Haru Ichiban.

You do that?

yeah i'd be happy to be add you, my XBL tag is KoalaKommander

thanks for the info. i did manage to complete the trial but cancelling a shouken isnt happening again any time soon =p.
  • otterotter CFN: otter- Joined: Posts: 4,620
    The directions your press to do moves depends on what side of the screen your on. However, if my opponent jumps over me while im in the middle of something (a block, a charge move, a super), do I adjust with the direction change?

Simple example: I'm blocking back, he jumps over me and starts wailing on me -- do I keep holding block in the same directions or do I shift as he's jumping over me (which is hard..). Being jumped over just confuses me, especially in the corner.

This is a complicated issue. The practical answer is yes, you have to change your directional inputs if you get crossed up (opponent moves to the other side via jump, roll, teleport, ect...)

Sf4 however, has leniant inputs that sometimes let you do an attack in the original (wrong) direction and the character will flip themselves and attack the opponent. Ryu's shoryuken is a common example.

In case of blocking, you'll simply have to get used to flipping directions. Some opponents will even jump over you and attack from the other side on the way down. You'll still have to block in the "new" direction.

Also note, being able to jump over an opponent in the corner is unique to sf4 and quite stupid.
    Okay, I am the noobest noob, haven't played any sf else than sfiv..

I have this probs with throws..
    Can someone kindly explain the mechanism of throws in this game?
    I got thrown off from almost anything.. but the ones I remember the most are:

1. I and my op were empty jumping, and when we land, he grabbed me..

2. After I blocked a ryu's jump+RH...throw.
    (I was holding back when this happen... I thought I was supposed to walk back instead of getting thrown? )

3. After he ate a rog's smash, cr+lk, then he interrupt my headbutt with a throw. O_O
    (and i thought that was a chain?? maybe I screwed up with my timing..since I played online...but I just cant believe he squeezed in a throw..if there's a lag, it should affect us both, rite?)

Thanks in advance.. ^^
    (I hope I post this in the right thread.)
  • Machineking1313Machineking1313 Infamous User Joined: Posts: 1,434
    I noticed that one Icon I see a lot of is not listed on the eventhubs guide to getting the titles and icons and I do not have it either. The icon I am talking about is one were it shows a guys fist going through a wreath...anybody know what I am talking about?
    Everyone! Get your torches lit and your pitchforks ready! We are storming Capcom's headquarters while shouting "SHORYUKEN!!!!"

Check out my Yu-Gi-Oh product opening channel! https://youtube.com/channel/UCQXD7kWDoEKw51lPfngMELg
    Please like and subscribe if you enjoy the videos!
  • RaunwynnRaunwynn No scare Gouken Joined: Posts: 1,212
    does anyone know where i can find a list of each character's blocked damage values?
  • MonirMonir Saw That Coming Joined: Posts: 185
    Why is the game called Street Fighter?

And, why did Ken want to be blond, and not keep his hair black?
  • Shoryu ReppaShoryu Reppa Sunday drivers... Joined: Posts: 1,565
    Can anybody direct me to a list of each characters Hit Points and Stun Points?

I thought I saw that list a while ago.. can't seem to find it anymore.
    t: @Dammit_Rab
    EVO 2012 - SFxT Top 36 Qualifier, Winners out of Pool J25
    Host of The Podsumaki Podcast- The Green Ranger's favorite fighting game Podcast
  • edudliveedudlive Wannabe Arcade Rat Joined: Posts: 70
    I got an SE stick yesterday and I have some questions about using it. I
    'm decent with the controller...but vastly worse with a stick right now lol. So far I've figured out how to do Guile's super xx ultra and Ryu's anti-air lpSRK xx ultra, but most moves are still giving me lots of problems.

1) What button/hand placement do you use? I've been trying to keep my hand on the punch buttons for home row, but I'm finding that I'm getting "lost." lol

2) I can't seem to find a comfortable way to hold the stick. I found a video on youtube by someone from SRK (I can't find the video but the grip names he covered were "The Wine Glass," "The Doucebag," "The Monkey Grip," etc. ). However, none of these grips are very comfortable. The wineglass seems to work best but I find myself having lots of trouble finding the right way to "grip" the stick. I start out well but I end up with a loose grip and really sloppy play quickly. I'm afraid of holding the stick TOO tightly I guess? That is the only way I can explain it.

3) Can you give me any suggestions for practice to see some quick improvement? This is the first time I've ever used a stick. I know you can't give me some instructions to magically get better, and practice/muscle memory is the most important factor...but there have to be some things I can do to help my improvement along. Practice isn't what makes "perfect," it is perfect practice that makes perfect. So what should I do to practice?

Thanks guys!
    HILLBILLY HYPE!

"A mind troubled by doubt cannot focus on the course to victory" - Arthur Golden
  • Banker KingAloBanker KingAlo I must train harder Joined: Posts: 79
    @edudive: Dude, i changed to stick 5 weeks ago and i'm still not good as i was with the pad.
    I also tried out all tipps i could found. you have to find your way to get comfortable with that shit. I'm holding the stick like a wine glass and using my thumb,index/middle and ring-fingers for the buttons.

1. Play the Arcade Mode to get a feeling for the stick.
    2. Learn first the ground game without special moves. Get a feeling for the timing.
    3. You need patience, stay in training mode for a long time and try combinations, crossups

It is really hard because you will suck for a long time with a stick but dont give up.
    Dont give up. Trust me, dont give up and work hard on it.

The game makes more fun with it.