1-800-help-a-nub; The FAQ

Comments

• rainscaperainscape Joined: Posts: 547
    you dont need to mash.
    do it right after you expect block while their character is within range to throw.
    so if they do a jump in followed by three fast pokes, you would tech three times.
    mashing wont cause any trouble though, other than tired fingers.

Actually, it's better not to mash. Doing so can get you thrown out of the c. lk's start up, or frame trapped.
    ST & HDR: Boxer
    SF4: Boxer, Dictator
    SSF4: ???
  • RaunwynnRaunwynn No scare Gouken Joined: Posts: 1,212
    Actually, it's better not to mash. Doing so can get you thrown out of the c. lk's start up, or frame trapped.

yes, but that is true of timing it correctly as well.
    i am guessing it is probably better not to mash, but i cant think of a reason why.
    if someone notices you teching a lot, they can just plan to hit the tech move whether you are mashing or not.
  • DannkkDannkk Joined: Posts: 1,761
    I have a quick question regarding option select. Do I simply mash both "lk+lp" (throw) while i am blocking? or do i have to slow down the input?

Thanks.

The idea behind it is that you can tech a few frames after the throws startup. So you want to time your OS where you'll still block a follow up blockstring. A situation that comes up a lot is ken's hurricane kick. At the end, he's going to mix you up. Either throw, dp, or a block string. At the end, just pause and then crouch tech. If he dps or does the block string, you'll block it, but if he throws, you'll tech. you want to try and time this for every hit, but don't mash. If you're playing offline, people will hear it and bait it out to punish.
    Bombing for peace is like f%@&;ing for virginity. - bumper sticker
    My Mods - http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/Dannkk/Dual%20Mods/
  • rainscaperainscape Joined: Posts: 547
    yes, but that is true of timing it correctly as well.
    i am guessing it is probably better not to mash, but i cant think of a reason why.
    if someone notices you teching a lot, they can just plan to hit the tech move whether you are mashing or not.

The thing is, mashing out the OS tech puts you at a higher risk of getting thrown.

Mashing carries a bigger risk of accidentally sticking out a c. lk during the start-up frames of your opponent's tick throw. If that happens his throw will catch you during the start-up of your c. lk, so the throw becomes untechable.

The proper way of doing it is to press lp+lk as late as possible when you expect him to do a tick throw. This minimizes the chance that you get caught in a frame trap or thrown out of the lk start up.
    ST & HDR: Boxer
    SF4: Boxer, Dictator
    SSF4: ???
  • Prado78Prado78 Old School User Joined: Posts: 53
    I feel very slow doing some movements, such as dash cancels.
    My impression is that my hands are too small, or the stick has too much throw (Sanwa square gate stick, I will dig up the model if needed).
    I base that feeling on the fact that I sometimes miss charge moves, especially up-down ones.

Is such a thing possible? Am I just a scrub?
    Would changing/modding the gate on the stick help somehow?
    Sometimes I wonder if I am Old School or just... old.
    SRK: We'll take your simple concept that's been used since the 1990's and turn it into a complicated thesis pissing match. (Sosage)
  • tha messiahtha messiah Team Cranis Style Joined: Posts: 1,902
    Question, are normals slower to get off in a block pose (down back) than in normal crouch (down)? I was wondering that because there is the block animation. Can anyone confirm this? I find I'm pressing down back a lot out of habit. I find a lot of slower framed jabs are getting off faster than me.
    S3: Gouki
    SFIV: Gouki, Gen
    SSFIV AE: Gen, Gouki, Dan, Rose

http://www.youtube.com/user/whosnkn
  • JDH the AuditorJDH the Auditor Airthrow Manwhore Joined: Posts: 614
    TECHNOLOGY Question

I am about to buy a high def TV. Will 60 hz or 120 hz refresh rate make a difference when playing?
    MVC3: Dante Viper Amaterasu
    SSFIV: Claw, Viper (Extremely shitty Viper)
    SFIV: Claw
    No because the game is running at 60fps. If the game was running at a higher FPS like 80 and your TV was 60Hz than it would be running at 60FPS. If you had a 120Hz TV than you would take advantage. Until things run at 120FPS than you are good. You might notice your TV shift to 24 when watching movies like Blu Ray because they run at 24fps. The same thing goes with Computers. Even though commands that show the FPS state something like 100FPS the true output is what your Monitors refresh rate is. So if it's 50Hz than it's really running at 50 FPS.

Hope this helps.

• JDH the AuditorJDH the Auditor Airthrow Manwhore Joined: Posts: 614
    But now the question is:

Will Super Street Fighter IV run at faster than 60 frames per second?
    MVC3: Dante Viper Amaterasu
    SSFIV: Claw, Viper (Extremely shitty Viper)
    SFIV: Claw
    I feel very slow doing some movements, such as dash cancels.
    My impression is that my hands are too small, or the stick has too much throw (Sanwa square gate stick, I will dig up the model if needed).
    I base that feeling on the fact that I sometimes miss charge moves, especially up-down ones.

Is such a thing possible? Am I just a scrub?
    Would changing/modding the gate on the stick help somehow?

you just need to practice more.
    i do not think your hands are too small to play.
    my 6 year old did the qcf x2 ppp ultra with seth last night on an xbox controller and his hands are smaller than yours!
    if you can execute the moves at all, you can execute them consistently with practice.
    there is no substitute.

Question, are normals slower to get off in a block pose (down back) than in normal crouch (down)? I was wondering that because there is the block animation. Can anyone confirm this? I find I'm pressing down back a lot out of habit. I find a lot of slower framed jabs are getting off faster than me.

they are not slower in crouch block but crouch block suffers more blockstun than standing block.
    for example, if i block blanka's ball standing, i can hit him with a reversal lp. palm.
    if i block blanka's ball crouching, the palm will never hit him.
    your moves are not slower from crouch block, you are forced to do them later.
    So I take it this is why my Block Techs are not coming out because I'm holding Block while trying to tech?

So I take it this is why my Block Techs are not coming out because I'm holding Block while trying to tech?

no, you cannot be thrown while you are in hit or block stun.
    if you are having trouble teching throws with (db + lp + lk) it is your timing or your connection.
    i think i read that the window to tech from crouch is slightly smaller though.
    That's weird, Because I can tech perfectly everytime when I'm just hitting down or neutral. compared to 60% techs when pressing back or db.

I'm aware of Tick throwing and not being able to throw or be thrown while in a stun animation. It just feels like db+Jab+Short doesn't work for throwing.

• Richard NguyenRichard Nguyen !! Joined: Posts: 723
    That's weird, Because I can tech perfectly everytime when I'm just hitting down or neutral. compared to 60% techs when pressing back or db.

I'm aware of Tick throwing and not being able to throw or be thrown while in a stun animation. It just feels like db+Jab+Short doesn't work for throwing.

It is harder to crouch tech. If you do it too early, you'll get thrown. Whereas if you had that same timing but did an actual throw instead, you would have teched it.
  • Obi-1-ShinobiObi-1-Shinobi Joined: Posts: 27
    I was just about to ask how to crouch Tech myself then I saw other people seem to have the same problem. What I did was I went into Training mode, recorded myself tick throwing and then replaying with me trying to Tech the throws. I can't seem to Tech from the Down-back posistion at all but if I pull back (stand up) I tech it every single time. What would happen at Down-Back is either I get thrown or my c-LP jab hits him first. Any tips?
  • Richard NguyenRichard Nguyen !! Joined: Posts: 723
    You should not be getting out a cr. jab. It should be a cr. short. Time the button press a little after when you think your opponent's grab is going to get you.
  • LordofUltimaLordofUltima MY MOVES R NOTHING Joined: Posts: 844
    Started up a new video series called "3-Minute Fundamentals" in which I attempt to cover aspects of competitive Street Fighter play in around 3 minutes. I already have two tutorials up for it. Check 'em out.

Youtube Channel
    3-Minute Fundamentals Playlist

...yeah, but the summers are real nice in Washington.
  • GefenGefen Joined: Posts: 1,381
    TECH QUESTION

hey ^^
    i just got while a go SF4 for the computer (5$ steam, why not..) now, when i play offline everything is fine, i can run the game with the defult graphics etc.
    but when coming to play in the online, i suffer from a major slowdown, at first, i though my connection sucks, but then, i lowered the graphics option to minimum, and the game now play at normal speed in the online too.
    any explantion/solution for that?
    Started up a new video series called "3-Minute Fundamentals" in which I attempt to cover aspects of competitive Street Fighter play in around 3 minutes. I already have two tutorials up for it. Check 'em out.

Youtube Channel
    3-Minute Fundamentals Playlist

you are fucking awesome.
  • AOS-AOS- C Joined: Posts: 3,269
    @ gefen, then that's just online lag don't worry too much about it.

dont fret too much about online.
    PSN/Steam: AOS- [Gouken, Ryu]
    Wii U (SSB4): Okrapaeli [Mario, Link]
  • 6lue6lue crap cammy Joined: Posts: 129
    Do all regular throws have the same amount of start up frame? and do abel's TTs beat normal throws if done at the same time? Thanks.
    Correct me if i'm wrong ( as i dont know the frame data), I think general throws start in 3 frames.

Command throws I think are slightly slower, but i think they got higher priority.

False info here, but i'm making a guess.
  • str[e]akstr[e]ak Friendly Neighborhood Sneaker Ninja Joined: Posts: 2,885
    Do all regular throws have the same amount of start up frame? and do abel's TTs beat normal throws if done at the same time? Thanks.

abel's regular tornado throws have six frames of throw invincibility (cannot be thrown). EX tornado throw has six frames of hit invincibility (can be thrown).
    I enter tournaments as Real Life Bonus Stage:
    Twitter: @eddyRLBS
    YouTube: akaRLBS
    Twitch: sneakerninja

• 6lue6lue crap cammy Joined: Posts: 129
    Thanks str[e]ak, I guess I'm just doing my throws really late.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    problem: playing Vega (or pretty much any character), I get pummeled mercilessly into a corner then have to work my way out from under a flurry of wakeup attacks, whereupon my life is depleted to next to nothing, resulting in my defeat.

How can I counter an opponent who's super aggressive, constantly in my face with quick combos?

I'm not the worst player around, and I know to anticipate certain advances with scarlet terrors or shoryukens, but against guys like M Bison and Fei Long, who move in quickly from the ground, what the fuck do I do? I got my ass beat probably 20 times in a row today by the methods stated above... fucking depressing as shit considering the time I put into this game :(
    Vega's a bad character.

Have you tried throwing some long range pokes to keep them out? can you possibly counter with that flip kick? i dont use vega so i cant real help you.
    Vega's a bad character.

Have you tried throwing some long range pokes to keep them out? can you possibly counter with that flip kick? i dont use vega so i cant real help you.

*Name changed to reflect my XBox Live account name

Yeah, Vega's a challenge to use effectly but I have fun with him...

I've almost got my poke game down to a science. The flipkick works well coming out of a backflip, and I can sometimes pull one off from a wakeup, but my timing is a bit off and I screw it up more times than it works. But when somebody gets in my face with a series of jabs and combo strings, switching it up with throws, etc., I have nothing to respond with.
  • SasakiSasaki *~ Stardust Drop ~* Joined: Posts: 1,343
    You do. Just block.
    It's better to eat a throw than to eat a counter hit combo. Really.
    "You should be able to win a match without using a single special or super move. No normals, no game, know normals, know game, I tell you!" - Jerry "normal" Bell
    You do. Just block.
    It's better to eat a throw than to eat a counter hit combo. Really.

very sound advice, thanks, but blocking too much just leads to me getting thrown repeatedly. I have to figure out how to launch some kind of comeback after successfully blocking a string of fast attacks. It would also be nice to turn the tables and apply pressure to my opponents instead of being on the defense all the time. Or perhaps this is how Vega is to be played? And perhaps an aggressive attack is how to shutdown Vega? I realize I'm asking some very basic, fundamental noob questions here, but I'm hoping to improve my game against you aggressive bastards!

I'm also thinking about training my Vega game by adding some quick combos to my repertoire, going on the offense and staying out of the skies...
  • Shin KazuyaShin Kazuya Fist of a God! Joined: Posts: 140
    Incredible thread, I play this game for some time now and didn't know 1/4 of what was writen... :sad:

My question is the followed, in SF4 you hit confirm with bnb(usually 2 lk/p) to go for the special follow up if it hits, BUT do you also hit confirm for example with a c.mk/p, and if it hits do you go for the speacial, in a c.mkxx hadouken, or isn't there enough time?? Do you also hit confirm with the first hit of a jump in that starts with hk/p??

Thanks!
    Oh! Sorry, this isn't Tekken... LOL
  • The-OlympianThe-Olympian 4 the Glory of Gaea Joined: Posts: 2,134
    Incredible thread, I play this game for some time now and didn't know 1/4 of what was writen... :sad:

My question is the followed, in SF4 you hit confirm with bnb(usually 2 lk/p) to go for the special follow up if it hits, BUT do you also hit confirm for example with a c.mk/p, and if it hits do you go for the speacial, in a c.mkxx hadouken, or isn't there enough time?? Do you also hit confirm with the first hit of a jump in that starts with hk/p??

Thanks!

emmmm.. using cammy, what i do is walk up poke with c.mk and buffer qcf... if i get a hit i press immediately HK

so i end up with c.mk, HK SA..

i do the same thing for s.far.mp or c.mp and always buffer qcf...

s.far.mp, HK SA is a good way to break armor
    What of the Hunting, Hunter Bold? Brother, the Watch was Long and Cold.
    What of the Quarry ye went to Kill? Brother, He Crops in the Jungle Still.
    emmmm.. using cammy, what i do is walk up poke with c.mk and buffer qcf... if i get a hit i press immediately HK

so i end up with c.mk, HK SA..

i do the same thing for s.far.mp or c.mp and always buffer qcf...

s.far.mp, HK SA is a good way to break armor

I see! Thanks!
    So in case of a jump in, what do you do, if the jumping attack hits, you follow with a damaging combo, and if it is bloacked you go for a sting. Or before you jump you already decide which combo your using?? Meaning, do you hit confirm with the first hit(or air attack) in a jump in attempt?
  • G.BauerG.Bauer Joined: Posts: 56
    Hi,

I play BB, TvC and GG. I would like to start playing SFIV and SSFIV so... which threads could point me to the right direction while switching from those FG's to SF? I'm talking about the general idea and commonly used tactics like FADC?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english =/
    BB:CS => Hazama --- MvC3 => Lei-Lei / NEED HELP --- AH3 => Clarice --- TvC => Jun / Y-2
    Hi,

I play BB, TvC and GG. I would like to start playing SFIV and SSFIV so... which threads could point me to the right direction while switching from those FG's to SF? I'm talking about the general idea and commonly used tactics like FADC?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english =/

Hey!
    First, welcome to SF series! I hope you read this thread because it covers the majority of the basics. TvC is a 3 button game and SF is a 6 button layout. First pic a character, then go to the character discussion threads, there you will find everything you need, other then that you must get familiar with hit-confirming(if you play TvC this shouldn't sound new), pokes, zoning, footsies, ground and air game, ranges. If you need a link just reply!
    Good luck!
    I'm reading this topic but I'm kinda lost on how to move on from a "fast paced" FG with air dashes, super jumps and whatmore to SFIV. I feel heavy and extremely slow =/
    About those mechanics you mentioned: I'm used to them but they are probably different on SF.

Any link/help is greatly appreciated.

Oh! The character I'm liking is Rufus.

Thanks again.
    BB:CS => Hazama --- MvC3 => Lei-Lei / NEED HELP --- AH3 => Clarice --- TvC => Jun / Y-2
    Hey Bauer, here are some links for you character:

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=215645

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=166221

If your used to play a high paced game, on one side it's good because you should have some good reactions and good shenanigans, on the other it might be counter productive because if you use a non-projectile character and you play against a character that does have projectiles, then you need to be patient. Like any game or anything you wanna get good at, it needs practice, go to practice mode(this game has one of the best practice modes out there, IMO), and practice a lot, this game has some very strict timing(links, and others)! If your very offensive and like super jumps the use C.Viper, the Queen of offense, LOL! She has a high jump(Super Jump), hits hard and has a lot of different possibilities. Look some Uryo(Japanese C.Viper player) games, here a few:

Although he loses in the final, these are one of my favs.

In this game spacing and zoning are critical(there not the same)!

Don't know anything else I could tell you right now, you just need to play a bit have fun and after that, read a lot and practice a lot, in this game you won't need to know a shit load of unique moves like in Tekken(don't get me wrong I love Tekken LOL), but to master these "simple basics", it takes a lot of ambiton, practice, practice and some more practice! But it pays off!
    Thanks! I'll look into it!
  • The-OlympianThe-Olympian 4 the Glory of Gaea Joined: Posts: 2,134
    I see! Thanks!
    So in case of a jump in, what do you do, if the jumping attack hits, you follow with a damaging combo, and if it is bloacked you go for a sting. Or before you jump you already decide which combo your using?? Meaning, do you hit confirm with the first hit(or air attack) in a jump in attempt?

honestly in an OVERLY defensive fighting game like SF4.... you shouldnt be jumping in unless its for a guaranteed hit, ambiguous crossup trap on their wakeup... or straight up crossup attempt...

so yeah... jump in over predictable fireball spam happy players... and go for the most damaging combo your character can muster...

if one of the above attempts are somehow blocked (not a successful crossup)... i start my Bnb combo:

c.lk, c.lp, c.lk, then Pause! (no dp ? huh, otherwise block/punish accordingly), after the small pause i either continue pressure with low Cannon Strike (could double TKCS) then c.lk, throw!! or pause again after c.lk,c.lp... and repeat CS pressure...

i Cannon Spike after the small pause if i have 2 bars... FADC forward -> throw or TKCS or another cannon spike... :)

(sorry its too character specific :shake:)
    What of the Hunting, Hunter Bold? Brother, the Watch was Long and Cold.
    What of the Quarry ye went to Kill? Brother, He Crops in the Jungle Still.
    No! It was a good answer! Thanks, buddy!
  • PhendranaDriftsPhendranaDrifts Joined: Posts: 126
    What's a good technique for jump happy players who do jHK to cHK and almost nothing else? Yes, block, but I want to punish them every time so maybe they'll get the hint? You can crouch and flick out a dragon punch but if they're too close it probably won't be fast enough. I main Cammy and she doesn't seem to have a good crouching anti-air punch. It's someone I know and they LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE jumping in with Guile, Boxer, Sagat, even though I've explained why it's bad. Using Ryu and doing a jab fireball and immediately after a strong SRK works well but then I have to use a character I don't really like to counter their spam. Overall the matches are like every Geology textbook you've ever read. (No offense to geologists.) Ideas for jump happy opponents? I like using Cammy, Sakura, Fei Long, and an occasional Chun-Li. Their tendency to abuse cHK is also there and annoying but easily punished almost every time. (Although they still do it. Sigh.)
    wait and punish the jump.
    give yourself all the time you need, concentrate only on anti air and shoot them down with your cannon spike, sakura c.hp, fei long flame kick or chun li air throw.
    random jumps are only effective if you are committing yourself recklessly to your offense.
    keep positioning yourself in the best spot to use your anti air and wait for their jump.
  • otterotter CFN: otter- Joined: Posts: 4,650
    What's a good technique for jump happy players who do jHK to cHK and almost nothing else?

You're best bet with the characters you mentioned is definitely Cammy's Cannon Spike. Sakura has poor anti-airs. Her c.fierce looks nice, but the actual hitbox is underwhelming. Chun has more consistent normals but requires perfect spacing that you might not be able to obtain against someone advancing constantly.

Learn how to Cannon Spike consistently with little notice. Also learn how to FADC ultra afterwards to maximize each chance you get to deal damage.

On another note, many characters have sweeps that are very unsafe on block. Get close to bait it out then just block and then low short into Cannon Drill.
  • PhendranaDriftsPhendranaDrifts Joined: Posts: 126
    Thanks I'll try but they do it one time after another and when they're close the DP doesn't have enough time. Someone suggested FA. Will try recording a jump in in training and experiment.
  • otterotter CFN: otter- Joined: Posts: 4,650
    Thanks I'll try but they do it one time after another and when they're close the DP doesn't have enough time. Someone suggested FA.

Yes, it does have enough time. That's what DPs are for. You just can't react fast enough yet, and it is a major part of the fundementals.

also, anti air FA is a dangerous habit. It will probably work against that one shitty guy, but then you will be doing it against good players that will just nuetral jump ultra you out of it.
    how do you earn more icons for online? simply winning more? What about those blockhead characters? is it winning with that specific character a specific number of times?
  • xShonuffxxShonuffx Who's Da Masta? Joined: Posts: 556

^ ^
    Damn, it's a wikipedia!
    bump for question 2 posts above, i got the opportunity to score some wins tomorrow, if that's what I need. More Wins Online = More Icons?
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,830
    Those block Icons from doing Hard Trial.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    and everything else?
  • windbreakawindbreaka Neo Geo For Life! Joined: Posts: 74
    Where can I find information on "zoning"?

I play El Fuerte, and I'm trying to learn Juri. I've noticed that I usually go into a game without any thought as to what my game plan is going to be.

It's just a grab-bag of whatever I think will hit at the moment. I was told by a veteran SF player friend of mine about "zoning," and how it is important.

I was hoping to find something on "zoning" in one of the links. Is there one in the original posts? I couldn't find one. Perhaps "Footsies" and "Controlling Space" are the articles I should be reading?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I'm reading the Maj's articles on sonichurricane.com, and I think they are what I've been looking for ("SF Footsie Handbooks").
    But just so I'm absolutely clear, can anyone confirm that these are what I want to read, if I wanted to learn about "zoning"?
    Super Street Fighter 4: El Fuerte (Trying out Juri)
    BlazBlue: Hakumen & Arakune