Guile Strategies and Matchups

MajMaj CvS2 Combo CollectorJoined: Posts: 2,073
Since most strategies and tricks are matchup-dependent, it makes sense to group the two together. Discuss anything useful in actual matches here, from specific tactics, to character-dependent move counters, to overall gameplans. The more specific you get, the better. It would be greatly appreciated if you took the time to test out everything you plan on saying in training mode to make sure that it works and to provide some numbers for stuff like damage and dizzy amount.

Other than that, try not to piss anyone off or start any flame wars.

Comments

• BuktoothBuktooth vietnamazing Joined: Posts: 1,713 mod
    flash kick is always air-blockable, even if done as deep as possible.

low fierce can be done VERY deep on certain characters and still win clean. It's kinda weird, and is one of the more frustrating things about fighting Guile. You jump early over a sonic boom for what should be a guaranteed blocked jump in, and Guile just low fierces you really deep at the last second.

More anti-airs:

walk back and low forward
    Walk back and throw out a meaty low forward for anti air, then control is back in your hands whether they blocked it or not. This is really important to know, particularly for characters whose jump ins Guile can't stop without RC sonic boom. Especially handy for low jumps also. You can also link a level 3 sonic hurricane afterwards since you give yourself enough time to charge.

super jump roundhouse
    This is Guile's anti-air from half-screen to 3/4ths distance away. Throw a jab sonic boom, and if they jump straight over it just super jump roundhouse them on reaction. Will beat pretty much everything AND knock them back onto the sonic boom you just threw. Also works if they were about fullscreen trying to safely jump over a sonic boom.

level 2 kick super
    This is one of the best defensive supers in the game. There's almost no risk to throwing it out randomly since it's nearly impossible to counter even if you think you know it's coming. Works well in a pinch as anti-air, since the first hit has a gigantic hitbox that seems to snag anything in Guile's general vicinity. Juggle the rh flashkick after for very decent damage, and control is in Guile's hands.

level 2 flashkick super
    This is kinda fun, but I wouldn't recommend it in an important match. Level 2 flashkick super as anti-air, super cancel to a jab sonic boom to juggle, then cross up with super jump short. It's actually really hard to block.
    -Campbell Tran

as of 12/02/09:

me: did pz john ever give the japanese players their money
    bas: hahah of course no
  • Yumi SaotomeYumi Saotome eh-sama Joined: Posts: 361
    What does Guile do against Bison or Vega?
    "No more Ky. Play Robo-Ky" - RF telling me to stop losing.

Retired from fighting games, but I actively troll.
  • gig4lsgig4ls Joined: Posts: 415
    Is Bison a problem for Guile? Most Bisons I see tend to turtle and wait for the opening to RC into CC. As long as you keep the pressure up with plenty of RC booms shouldn't that be enough? I don't know this for sure, but I get the impression an RC jab boom will outlast an RC scissor kick.
    My cat has better footsies than me.
  • gig4lsgig4ls Joined: Posts: 415
    Originally posted by kcxj

Those Bisons suck.

That's what I thought, but when I saw that they were ppl like Choi and Chen I wondered if everyone played like that (and a lot of the d/ls online show them play like that.)
    My cat has better footsies than me.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    bleh bleh and now the hangover :wow:
    I can't anti-air Bison at all. Is this normal? I'm not afraid to use roundhouse flash kick (no air-block for A-groove), but Bison also has that funkiness going where he ends up behind you for no reason when your flash kick should of hit.

I know walk back, d.MK works from far, but any closer and I always get beat clean when I try anything else. I'll take a trade or anything at this point. Any tips? Air throw?

Again, I really hate it when I let Bison in on me for free. Walk up jabs and all that nonsense.
    I find that fast characters have the most potential to neutralize Guile. Guile cannot do much against Todo spamming fireballs. Guile has a long roll that gives Todo a free grab. RC sonic boom is not enough since the fireball you eat has upwards of 3 hits.

Cammy's speed and range should allow her to stop Guile's flow of attacks. But then again, no one plays cammy against my guile.

Bison's RC scissor kick will destroy RC sonic boom, since he'll go right through it and hit you on your recovery. Other than that, it's a pretty fair match up, until Bison takes 75% of your life with a CC.

Sakura also eats up guile since she can trade with his best counters and also keeps him locked down when she's close. her fireball can also absorb a sonic boom and also hit. Again, I haven't had much of a chance to play Guile vs Sak.
  • Ratio1BeatDownRatio1BeatDown Drink a 40, Get high.. Joined: Posts: 413
    I can't anti-air Bison at all. Is this normal?

It depends on what angle he is jumping in from. Most of the time if bison is trying to cross up and is directly over top c.fp will do the trick almost all the time. The problem is when he is jumping right in front of you where you would be normally using s.mp cause his j.rh eats it for free. So the only real option you got directly in front of you is RC boom, or jump straight up medium kick if you see it coming (also good against vega jumping from a distance). So the best way to play it is keep him in the space where you can c.fp punch for the most part because you get the most options. Like where kcxj said he flash kicks and he lands right behind you, you gotta just walk under and back fist him before he lands (unless the cross up is deep on wake up or something). Small jump bison is even more of a bitch! haha and Todo is a horrible match up
  • BuktoothBuktooth vietnamazing Joined: Posts: 1,713 mod
    To clarify, this happens when Bison is jumping in near the tip of his j.rh range. There's a small magic spot where Guile can't walk back far enough to low forward safely, and his s.strong doesn't go far enough to reach Bison either. In this case you generally want to super jump forward and roundhouse right away. It'll win clean 90% of the time, and if Bison had just jumped over a sonic boom it'll knock him right back on top of it. He has to block it and you get to block combo a s.rh, then go from there.
    -Campbell Tran

as of 12/02/09:

me: did pz john ever give the japanese players their money
    bas: hahah of course no
    Originally posted by kcxj
    What's with d.MP as anti-air?

Ive had the most success using this against characters that tend to beat Guiles more conventional AAs the easiest. For example if bison is going for a jump in hk, he will start it a bit early in order to counter a cr. hp..however crouching and waiting will keep guile out of range long enough so that bison whiffs and falls onto the cr. mp...works well against blanka as well..
    I've found an unusuall counter to Guile in Athena. Warning: "this may be an extremely long fight".

Properties which allow Athena to fight Guile:

1. Reflector nullifies sonic boom................he sonic booms, your reflect and this sets up for her up close game.

2. She can do a number on gaurd meter, c.lp, c.lp, c.fp is a quick combo which does decent dmg and can gaurd break well.

3. Her teleport allows her to get out of some bad situations, as well as setting up for command throws.

4. If you tiger knee her light pheonix arrow this can be used as punishment, if your feeling lucky you can try the rh version and try your luck against guiles wakeup.

As far as character dynamics, Athena is much faster and more manuverable than Guile......ie Vega. An her ability to take the sonic boom out of the game makes this a tough fight for guile.
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Team Arcade Stream Joined: Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    you all forgot about c.mp AA
    ^^I just talked about it like 3 postrs ealier...
    tvs wrote:
    Ive had the most success using this against characters that tend to beat Guiles more conventional AAs the easiest. For example if bison is going for a jump in hk, he will start it a bit early in order to counter a cr. hp..however crouching and waiting will keep guile out of range long enough so that bison whiffs and falls onto the cr. mp...works well against blanka as well..
    I know Guile suppose to do well against Cammy but Im having a hard time fighting her. I always get pummel to death when Im trapped in the corner. Can you guys give me some strat against her? Im a new C-Guile player so please bare with me.
  • m1kekimm1kekim acquire currency! Joined: Posts: 453
    what about c guile vs A RC sakura?
  • DreaDLorDDreaDLorD Joined: Posts: 118
    m1kekim wrote:
    what about c guile vs A RC sakura?
    I use Guile occasionally and enough to add some strat to this I guess.

C.MK is the best poke against her since she does not have something to outrange that back. Even though it's good against her, you still have to be wary about her RC hadoken or S.HK while you recover from this. Though it should have quick enough recover to avoid an RC hurricane kick.

S.HP is the best way to keep her on the ground before she jumps. Just like it's the best for everyone else. If she jumps, then zoning to the proper distance and using S.MP or C.HP is key. If she jumps in with an early HK which is one way A Sak gains ground, RC sonic boom would take care of that.

Jumping in on her is probably the worst idea since she can hit most of Guile's air attacks out with S.HP, C.HP, or RC hurricane. Keeping the game on the ground is pretty essential to beating her.

This matchup is determined by who keeps control. If you let Sakura RC her way into pressuring you, it's pretty much over since RC hurricane will beat out RC flash kick/sonic boom. Bait out random RC's and CC activates and punish at will.

Her hurricane trap is still an iffy for me. Not sure how Guile would best counter that.
  • defcondefcon the ronin Joined: Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    air throws work awesome as air-to-air; from my experience they seem to outprioritize damn near every aerial attack there is. you can even straight up aa a good amount of jumpins by quick airthrowing on reaction.
    to my elite peeps with the murderous mystique
    i hit the streets with beats and they critique for weeks
    they be like, how that kid rah reach the peak?
    pull out the heat and use my technique to speak
  • FullMetalRossFullMetalRoss That Hurt! Liar... Joined: Posts: 3,860
    With Sak can you Sonic Hurricane as well?
    I haven't tried much against the trap Depends on if they are RCing or not I guess. I know you can jab her out of the startup at the correct distance if you time it right I am pretty sure if you get hit by the SBK it actually gives you a throw afterward. (not positive and I can't test for sure right now.
    <<>>
  • KnownasWolfKnownasWolf Joined: Posts: 295
    Any tip on Guile vs Vega matchup? I usually try to keep away from this matchup since I get owned pretty bad by vega :( RC's is not an option since I am playing K guile :xeye:
    what is guile's best groove? C? Sometimes I like him to have a run because I think he is a pretty decent rush down character...so I kinda like him in K too
    C is the best groove...as far as being a rushdown character, guile isnt really to practical in that category being a charge character and all...just stick to C since u have RC boom as AA, quick meter building potential, ablility to sit on a lvl3 (pretty much the best lvl3 in the game), and since he has an air throw, C grooves air block can really be used to its potential (yes he does have mid-air mixups)...Guile is a zoning character and C groove meets the requirements for his intended play style.
  • Nick T.Nick T. Joined: Posts: 3,976
    you all forgot about c.mp AA
    It's an anti-crossup to Sagat's crossup short.
    "It's not your characters' weakness, but weakness in yourself.
    Practice it hard and you can beat anybody." -Kuni
  • ROKROK Joined: Posts: 118
    Rolento VS Guile.

Anyone have any advice on fighting a good Rolento?
    The phrase "DP motion" conjours up some pretty suggestive images.
    WTF does Guile say when he does his Charge b, f, b, f + K super?
    Nick T. wrote:
    It's an anti-crossup to Sagat's crossup short.
    Doesn't work.

I recorded Sagat doing point blank s.LP, cross-up j.LK on me.

======

RE: Guile vs Sagat

Guile d.LP, d.LP, d.MP/d.MK string sets up the distance so you can punish a whiffed Sagat d.HP with your Guile d.MK xx super.

I suppose in the corner, you could do d.LP, d.LP, far s.MP xx HP Boom, (let Sagat mash on d.HP), whiff punish with d.MK xx super too... since projectiles don't push you away when you're in the corner.

What's Guile jumping cross-up defense besides rolling away?

For Sagat doing s.LP, j.LK on you, the best I can get is a trade with d.HP. I can do a j.LK myself right after trading with the d.HP and as Sagat is flipping on to his feet.

Jump up, kick airthrow looks useful too, but I don't know how easy this is to do on reaction.

I can't get super jump HK as anti-air to work at all against Sagat.

I want to throw the jab Boom from far away, and then super jump HK Sagat so he falls back onto the Boom when he tries to jump over it.

Sagat j.HK is beating me clean though. Dumb move is like a wall.

Am I using this Guile strategy correctly or am I making some kind of mistake? Does it not work on Sagat or something?

Can somebody break down the footsies game for me?

Guile can backfist or d.MK Sagat back whenever Sagat whiffs a d.HP.

Sagat CAN'T far s.HP xx super Guile back whenever Guile whiffs a backfist.

Sagat CAN'T far s.MK or d.HK Guile back on reaction whenever Guile whiffs a d.MK.

The way Sagat needs to fight against Guile's d.MK is to preemptively stuff it with s.LK (most common) or d.HK (sometimes trade, but Sagat still gets the knockdown).

How does Sagat fight against Guile spamming the backfist on him? Preemptive d.HP is the only thing I've found so far. But yeah, if I whiff the Sagat d.HP, Guile gets to kick me for free with his d.MK.

How does Guile fight against the Sagat standing short? The only thing I can think of is using his RC Boom, but that's not safe because it leaves him open to getting jumped on. Far s.HK, the Sobot kicks?

I don't have time right now, but I want to go into details about Guile's corner game later. Stuff like...

-meaty RC Boom, d.LP, d.LP, d.LP xx super.
    -kick throw, meaty jab Boom, d.MK, super
    -d.LP, close s.HP xx HP Boom... and then what options you have to choose from after that.

-things I can do off of meaty d.MK

-incorporating dash up , throw, or dash up, d.LP, d.LP, d.LP xx super?
    Buktooth wrote:
    flash kick is always air-blockable, even if done as deep as possible.

You obviously do not play Guile very much. There is a certain height where the flash-kick will always connect if they have air block. Just thought I would clear up that misinformation.:tup:
  • IgotthacoyIgotthacoy Mummy/Zombie Badass Joined: Posts: 139
    You can airblock any move that leaves the ground. Theres no part of the flash kick that hits while you are still grounded.
    MASH FORWARD!!!!!!!! TRY IT!!!!!!!
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,781
    Any constructive tips on fighting Cammy? Her stupid good normals seem better than Guile's stupid good normals and you actually need to be careful when using booms against her. She's a whore. Thanks
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • ZenFireZenFire Makoto: 3S only Joined: Posts: 956
    Why are normals a problem if you RC sb's? what grooves btw?
    Forever mediocre
    Is it your timing for everything? Guile should be able to stand up against Cammy. s.rh is of course not an option against Cammy, unless you know when to use it.
  • Se7inSe7in Holler. Joined: Posts: 590
    Anyone know how to beat Thaiger with C or K Guile? If he spams Tiger, all I have is RC Sonic Boom, which I pull of 1 out of every 10 attempts.
    Any constructive tips on fighting Cammy? Her stupid good normals seem better than Guile's stupid good normals and you actually need to be careful when using booms against her. She's a whore. Thanks

From a very reputable source I hear you just need to predict her rh and punish. Roll or jump in. But you Guile. Throw on sonic booms make her roll or jump. If she jumps, st. strong will snuff out most of her stuff and late cr. fierce will eat her up. If she rolls you know to either throw or just atk after you throw out that sonic boom.

Wtf is Thaiger?
    From a very reputable source I hear you just need to predict her rh and punish. Roll or jump in. But you Guile. Throw on sonic booms make her roll or jump. If she jumps, st. strong will snuff out most of her stuff and late cr. fierce will eat her up. If she rolls you know to either throw or just atk after you throw out that sonic boom.

Wtf is Thaiger?

Thaiger = Sagat

Think about it. :arazz:
    C-groove Guile should have no problem with Sagat that spams tiger all day, a lot of people like to tiger then on your jump tiger uppercut, since your C-groove punish with a c.foward, c.jab, xx flashkick (rh) on his fall. Put the pressure on him since you can rc boom to stick close to him and once close enough then use a GC string to slowly pick him off and look for an opening to toss him in that string. Bait his tiger uppercuts on his wake ups.

K-Groove Guile small jump the low tigers to advance or JD a bunch of them till you have bar and get close enough to catch him on one of his tigers to a sonic hurricane, after that mess I doubt he would still want to spam tigers on you like that the rest of the match unless hes retarded and wants to eat another hurricane. If your JDing is good then jump in on him at times and JD his AA attempts and punish him with a rh or if you JDed the whole tiger uppercut then use your air grab, begin GC/pressure/mix ups.

What groove is the Sagat anyway?
    C-groove Guile should have no problem with Sagat that spams tiger all day, a lot of people like to tiger then on your jump tiger uppercut, since your C-groove punish with a c.foward, c.jab, xx flashkick (rh) on his fall. Put the pressure on him since you can rc boom to stick close to him and once close enough then use a GC string to slowly pick him off and look for an opening to toss him in that string. Bait his tiger uppercuts on his wake ups.

K-Groove Guile small jump the low tigers to advance or JD a bunch of them till you have bar and get close enough to catch him on one of his tigers to a sonic hurricane, after that mess I doubt he would still want to spam tigers on you like that the rest of the match unless hes retarded and wants to eat another hurricane. If your JDing is good then jump in on him at times and JD his AA attempts and punish him with a rh or if you JDed the whole tiger uppercut then use your air grab, begin GC/pressure/mix ups.

What groove is the Sagat anyway?

C-Groove. He does exactly what you said, spam Tiger, often with mixups between low and high, then Tiger Uppercuts me when I go for the jump in. What's the best method besides jump blocking and going for the cr. mp xx FK.

If I decide to stick it out with K-Guile, I image I could practice my JD skills, and learn to JD the Tiger Uppercut, though does the Fierce version of Tiger Uppercut hit more than once if I JD the first hit?
    Use your RC boom, hop/advance poke. What you can do is do a lp boom from mid screen to bait a tiger from to stop the boom so you can make an advance of either jumping at him or hop to him to GC set him up. It's better if you learn c.mk, c.lp xx FK to take more out of him. Pick your rolls and if he doesn't know to toss you out of a roll then put that as an advantage to get in on him for mix ups.

You have to JD all 5 hits of a fierce tiger uppercut or JD the 1st hit and (input attack) since there is an opening between the time the 1st and 2nd tiger uppercut connect. Small jump low tiger to do a j.mk and connect it to a c.mk, (GC string begins). If he doesn't tiger your sonic booms then run at him and start pressuring him to force him to roll or whiff a tiger uppercut and punish with either a combo or a throw.

If he only spams low/high tigers and tiger uppercut you on jumps he really should have a bunch of openings for you to pick him off at. Look for patterns assuming you guys play each other on console to practice a lot. A good Sagat will GC you with a few c.fierces or pick openings to s/c.fierce you to wait for an opening to hurt you more since you have lower health and hes just trying to run the clock.
    Use your RC boom, hop/advance poke. What you can do is do a lp boom from mid screen to bait a tiger from to stop the boom so you can make an advance of either jumping at him or hop to him to GC set him up. It's better if you learn c.mk, c.lp xx FK to take more out of him. Pick your rolls and if he doesn't know to toss you out of a roll then put that as an advantage to get in on him for mix ups.

You have to JD all 5 hits of a fierce tiger uppercut or JD the 1st hit and (input attack) since there is an opening between the time the 1st and 2nd tiger uppercut connect. Small jump low tiger to do a j.mk and connect it to a c.mk, (GC string begins). If he doesn't tiger your sonic booms then run at him and start pressuring him to force him to roll or whiff a tiger uppercut and punish with either a combo or a throw.

If he only spams low/high tigers and tiger uppercut you on jumps he really should have a bunch of openings for you to pick him off at. Look for patterns assuming you guys play each other on console to practice a lot. A good Sagat will GC you with a few c.fierces or pick openings to s/c.fierce you to wait for an opening to hurt you more since you have lower health and hes just trying to run the clock.

:rofl:

I'm terrible at RC'ing. Therefore, I will try the K-Groove attempt. I'm better with K-Rock than C-Ken anyway.

Just so I know, is Sagat considered a bad matchup for Guile?
    :rofl:

I'm terrible at RC'ing. Therefore, I will try the K-Groove attempt. I'm better with K-Rock than C-Ken anyway.

Just so I know, is Sagat considered a bad matchup for Guile?

Statistically I'm not sure if it's a bad or good matchup. But Maj or someone else who knows could probably tell you.
    Statistically I'm not sure if it's a bad or good matchup. But Maj or someone else who knows could probably tell you.

I feel bad. He has to answer like 90% of the Guile questions I answer lol. I wish Nakanishi posted here so I didn't have to bother Maj all the time.

Thanks anyway though.
    Guile and Sagat are bout even. Honestly you dont' need to RC it helps hella but nah you don't need it. Guile is a natural turtle so don't be jumping and rolling for atking. (shut up buk)
  • ShinAkumaxShinAkumax Slick Vic Avatar Joined: Posts: 2,055

Ha ha ha, there is NOTHING you can do Strong NOTHING HA HA HA HA

This becomes that.
    dumb
    One cocky fucken Guile, and why hes Top Tier C-Groove!

EDIT: don't often see someone taunt to get their bar.

• typetenchitypetenchi Julia Ling FTW! Joined: Posts: 306
    Hey all,
    I'm having some match up trouble so I'm wondering if anyone around can help me.

I seem to get pinned down by Sakura and Rolento. Is there any good general strategy for this match up?

Sakura seems to pin me pretty hard with RC-Hurricane spam. Is there much I can do about this besides Alpha Counter or Roll? It seems Guile doesn't have anything fast to prevent her from spamming that move.

Rolento isn't so bad for me but from what I've learned. Sonic Booms are useless against him with that command roll of his. He's just all over the place. It seems pretty hard for me to out zone him.

Any suggestions would be great.

Question: How do you kill that which has no life?
    Answer: Cancel their World of Warcraft account.
    Back in San Diego now but nobody plays 3rd Strike anymore. :(
  • D@RUD@RU "Sonic Poo!" Joined: Posts: 265
    Sakura is a pain to fight at close range.
    c.mk the girl at max range, this poke is safe if she start rc hurricane, you should have time to react (blocking, rc flashkick latest possible, roll through). Fierce and backfist are good anti jump. You re just aim to have enough place to start your sonic boom pressure.
    Once you got distance she can rc all the day it is useless since she won't touch you^^
    And alpha counter and roll are always good options with guile. Roll on reaction though.

Another thing with guile is back + mk move at the begining of the round. It set up distance well against many characters. from there your job is to keep that distance where they cannot just rc spam safely.

I don't play any good rolento but again c.mk is good poke against him and late rc sonic boom into his rolling attack should work. Don't forget flash kick and your anti air like cFierce and stStrong.

(page 1 there is some basics about fighting sak^^)
    "Grab a tit, squeeze!"

CVS2 : C-Groove Claw, Guile, Sagat²
    MVC3 : Wolverine(barrage), Trish(peekaboo), IronMan(unibeam)
    SSF4: FeiLong
    Wargods -_-' The mighty ANUBIS!!!
  • typetenchitypetenchi Julia Ling FTW! Joined: Posts: 306
    ^^^
    Coo, thanks.
    Question: How do you kill that which has no life?
    Answer: Cancel their World of Warcraft account.
    Back in San Diego now but nobody plays 3rd Strike anymore. :(
    ^^^
    Coo, thanks.
    Thx hope this helps a bit^^
    "Grab a tit, squeeze!"

Any good CVS2 c-groove guile video matches?? Been trying to look for some. So far i found some Daigo and John Choi guile vids.

Can you guys suggest other vids/players? Thanks.
    Look for "nakanishi" for Japan side. There are other guile players but I cannot remember them^^ Hopefully nakanishi might be one of the best (if not the best) guile around.
    "Grab a tit, squeeze!"

• OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    mulder's guile is not too bad also
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see