A2-3 Music, Stages and Characters

jamiejame911jamiejame911 Ever learningJoined: Posts: 424
Am I one of the only people to think A3's music took a turn for the worse, besides a few stages: Rose's? The classic style of music had it's last run in A2. I think that paired with the crappier stage selection in A3 (and many have no parallax scrolling) really gave A2 the atmosphere that really has not translated to any SF afterwards. No game really touches the stage selection of SF2, of course, but A2 is close. A2 had/has the potential to be the final real classic SF outing IMO. I mean if they took a few chars from A3 and made some adjustments, A2 could be the definite Street Fighter game in it's history. It has all the right elements and upgrades yet retains the aura that Capcom was early known for.

I mean I've played SFIV and it really bored me to death as the elements really didn't come together and retain that feel that old school gamers loved: Stages sorta suck, graphics are not in classic style and the music is... forgetable. A2 does all that right and IMO the programmers of 4 lost out on a chance to translate that to the new generation.

That is my rant
Casually playing:
SFIV: Fei, Yun
ST: Ryu, Deejay
SG: Valentine

Comments

• Cavern mantisCavern mantis frame eater Joined: Posts: 41
    True that there really is a special mood in alpha2,that reflects genuine tret fighter 2 spirit.
    I think when you talk about it it's more with your heart;as for alpha 3,i think it must be appreciated in term of gameplay in an innovating way,a different way,but i understand some cannot like the game.
    Finally you mentionned street fighter 4,well i agree with you,i think many people play it just because it's a street fighter and becauseit's new,flashy,a,d there is a vast communauty,with former players that only knew street fighter 2 and ignored there had been like 15 street fighter games after.
    I know some dudes who got into it just because of that,becausemany people play it,and even though they don't like the game,they can trash newbs and show off a bit
    "you gotta hold that sucker down"
  • AquasharkAquashark Mekong Delta AirRaid Joined: Posts: 1,540
    so much agreed.
    Alpha2 had the best music in the alpha series. just listen to these:

Gen stage theme:
    Akuma stage theme:
    Adon stage theme:

rest of the music here: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Renegade466isback&view=videos&query=%22Street%20Fighter%20Alpha%202%20Music%22

the only one that was subpar was the jazzy remix on Ken's stage, imho

even the stages themselves are better.. but that;s another discussion
    hello friends, my name is Drago Umeharevich from CrossCounter Balkans
  • je110je110 Dantastic Joined: Posts: 385
    Adon stage theme:

I've always felt that track sounds so much like it belongs in Mega Man X.
  • ChibiPotPieChibiPotPie Epic Joined: Posts: 347
    Alpha 3 music just sucks. Whenever I play online, I just mute the game sound and play something on wmp, because its that bad. Now Alpha 2's music was awesome. I liked Zangief and Sagat's the most.
    SS3Ken: Super Off Road

S tier- that damn gray car.
  • metalmike31216metalmike31216 The Wall Joined: Posts: 1,110
    I like Alpha 3's music....especially Cammy's stage
    :coffee:
    Me + Nanaya Shiki = 1 on 1 Government WORLD CHAMPIONS
  • jamiejame911jamiejame911 Ever learning Joined: Posts: 424
    Akuma and Gen's stages are really excellent. Akuma's music is like one of teh best songs in the franchise's history.
    Casually playing:
    Looking at it again: Chun, Sagat and Sim's stage graphics in A3 are better than the earlier versions, especially Chun's (which is prolly better than SF2) but you got ones like Guile's which were just thrown together, seemingly, really fast. Chun's had some time spent on animating that one.
    Casually playing:
  • D-ProtoD-Proto Execution God Joined: Posts: 824
    I love A2 music, the game is full of great music.
    Best SF games with good music are ST and A2 in my opinion. SF4 music.. isn't that good for exeption of Sakura's Stage.
    ST Mains: Deejay, Balrog.
    SFA2 Mains: Sodom, Gen, Adon.
    SFA3 Mains: Gen, Sodom.
    SFIII3s Mains: Q
    SSF4AE Mains: Gen.
    I've been playing A3 on the psp and it'd be great if the music was just better. I have to turn it off. A2 with some chars and stages from A3 would be perfect :-/
    Casually playing:
  • Alternate275Alternate275 ★TOURNEY HOST★ Joined: Posts: 1,032
    I don't think A3's music is bad. I'll admit I like A2's tracks more.
    "Proud representative & overseer of Crew Round 2" :D
    PSN: CR2_Alternate | XBL: DRS Alternate | Skype: Alternate275
    King of Fighter XIII | Guilty Gear Xrd | BlazBlue ChronoPhantasma | Ultra Street Fighter 4
  • IapetusIapetus Strategic Planning Joined: Posts: 408
    I don't like A3's music at all. Granted, it does a great job of getting my heart rate faster and intensifying the matches, but I still hate it.
    Just two things in life to remember: Don't be a jerk and play TvC
    "Everyone wants to turn their character into Ryu. And the Ryu players want to turn him into Goku." Azrael
  • ShishiohShishioh Starbreaker Joined: Posts: 2,921
    A3 and 2 music were on par with each other IMO. It was 2 different gametypes and needed different music.

3 had some of the most odd yet fitting music at the time. Shin Akuma's is a perfect example.
    "Hitboxes have nothing at all to do with the way a fighting game plays. they are just a means to an end."-Random Discus user
    Written exactly like that.
  • GregoGrego FUCK SALT! Joined: Posts: 364
    You guys are all dumb A3 sound track >> A2's.
    Nani mo kamo iya ni natta. Nankai mo jisatsu wo hakatta ga shi ni kirenai. Tsukamaete shikei ni shite hoshikatta.
    Fuck all yall -
  • ShogunFlowShogunFlow Stream Warrior Joined: Posts: 801
    I don't like A3's music at all. Granted, it does a great job of getting my heart rate faster and intensifying the matches, but I still hate it.

This.

And I actually disagree with most of you including the OP. I really enjoy A3 music, though 3S is my favorite.
    Jay Illestrate - Regular Cat Records - Psychedelic Hip Hop Music
    www.youtube.com/3rdAnswer - - www.REGULARCATRECORDS.com

[SFV] Laura/Cammy/Akuma
    [MvC2] MSP
    [UMvC3] Felicia/Storm/Akuma, Zero/Morrigan/Magneto
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Team Arcade Stream Joined: Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Meh A2 > A3 on music and some stages. Nothing beats ST though.
  • Quick ManQuick Man Joined: Posts: 497
    so much agreed.
    Gen stage theme:

Is one of the sickest themes ever. Anyone notice the strong simliarities to A2 games and Megaman games? A2 is the only SF game that I hear it.
  • NikkowarNikkowar Insane Psychopath Joined: Posts: 840
    Depends on the stage. For Guy, I prefer No More Swinging to his A2 theme, and Rose's Schala to A2, but Charlie's A2 instead of Decisive Bout. Sakura's A2 is better than A3.
    My Fei-Long is moving on up!
    http://www.facebook.com/smalllady
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nikkorz
    -New Videos: Trident, Triptykon-
  • FaceMeAndBeBrokenFaceMeAndBeBroken FUCK JAPANESE STICKS Joined: Posts: 3,518
    Only good A3 tracks

Ryu
    Birdie
    Sodom X-ISM
    XBL/PSN DiegoElFuego

Will play
    (PS4): KOF14, Skullgirls, Blasterz, DBXV2
    (360): MVC2, MVC:O
    (XB1): Everything else non FG's
  • Mr_AwesomeMr_Awesome Joined: Posts: 157
    Which game you like better is a matter of opinion, but Alpha 2 completely blows away Alpha 3 in aesthetics: music, backgrounds, announcer voice, endings... everything.
    Rose's alpha 3 theme is good imo
    Casually playing:
  • ProverbProverb The Great One Joined: Posts: 181
    Great thread! Trolling...
    NeoBalrog1.png
    AE: E.Ryu, Chun, Boxer, Yang DS3: Donovan, Lilith, Gallon KOFXIII: K', Shen, Vice or K', Kula, Kim LB2: Kagami or Lee CVS2: K- Kyo, Sakura, Joe 3S: Chun or Makoto Arcana Heart: Lilica GGXXAC: Order Sol or Baiken NGBC: Chonrei/ Moriya or K'/ Kim
  • SVN4SVN4 Joined: Posts: 305
    I like the final round and the ending of A3, but i agree A2 is superior. I have to say it was interesting how they put a great emphasis on counters in A3, and how they improved (imo) the Custom Combos. But i'm A2 guy (not the character, lol) all the way.

Sad that in this gap of generations SFIV is the first game where they could make the "heavy damage" (when one guy has 1/4 HP or something around that) segments really cool. In 3S for example, i feel that it wouldnt fit nicely. But in SFIV they had the chance but they made most songs bad, and with very "soft" heavy damage segments (compared to SFII).

Also, in aesthetics only the 3 Japan stages and Drive-in are good (only the stages added in Super that are very good), and the Npcs are ugly. About the models, they were trying to imitate Ikeno's art; it's not like making Tekken and VF. I agree that Bengus is better, but i guess there is no other veteran artist around (Ikeno began from ST or Alpha?). There is the fact that Ikeno's drawings make the characters bulkier so that is one of the things that they didn't make good; and which they tried to "hide" in some way, making use of the constant sideways perspective.
  • MiddlekickMiddlekick r.mika stalker Joined: Posts: 604
    Bengus is better, but i guess there is no other veteran artist around (Ikeno began from ST or Alpha?)

Akiman, who made some illustrations for the 2011 calender, and Kinu, whose SF4 work is slightly more abundant, are still around at Capcom. Even Bengus made an illustration or two for the company for SF4's release. Ikeno has work dating back to the 3DO version of ST.
  • SVN4SVN4 Joined: Posts: 305
    Hm, thanks. Then do you know, or have any idea of why they choose Ikeno's designs to follow?
    I'd be interesting if they decide to keep using this art style in the next game, but choosing another designer.
  • RichardRichard Joined: Posts: 588
    you got ones like Guile's which were just thrown together, seemingly, really fast
    You have a good point about most stages - SFA2 is much better than A3 for graphics (variety, parallax effects, memorability) and music (classic themes, not generic techno) and overall sound (less intrusive announcer).

However, to pick on Guile isn't fair. His A3 stage is very good - maybe one of the best in the game. Graphically, it reminds me of some of the other '80s scrolling beat 'm ups. In fact, !
  • saiferothsaiferoth Joined: Posts: 191
    I kind of hate A3. it had some good stuff going for it but i love the stages and music for A2 way too much. It just felt it came together. A2 is definitely CPS2 gold, when CPS2 was in its prime. Plus, I love the secret Australia and Venezuela stages (unfortunately i didnt know about Venezuela until i got Anthology years later haha)

Favorite tracks: Gen, Cammy, Adon,...pretty much everyone
    SSF4 - Cody, Ryu, Makoto
    UMvC3 - Frank West teams
    3SO - Akuma, Ken, Alex, Hugo
  • Lenny RayLenny Ray Joined: Posts: 18
    if you ask me, charlie's stage in A2 was the most memorable, with sakura's being the least.
    That said, charlie's theme is epic, when i play with rolento i keep super jumping (to not get hit) just to hear the music
  • RichardRichard Joined: Posts: 588
    ^ Hmm, ...
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188
    You guys are sleeping on A3's content

While most of the themes were stage-inspired, some of them were pretty decent.

- Ryu
    - Balrog
    - Shin Bison
    - Dan
    - Cammy
    - Blanka
    - Dee-jay
    - Feilong
    - X-ism Sodom
    - Guy

And I felt alot of them were very fitting for the stage.

- Ken's theme went well with his stage
    - Guy's theme really fits the atomsphere.
    - Cody's theme, although not that great, was very fitting.

Alpha 2 music and stages were more jazzy and traditional. I like it, but it's not better than A3; just different. It's a different vibe.

I play HSFA sometimes and when I see/hear the Alpha 3 HUD/announcer on an Alpha 1/2 stage with Alpha 1/2 music, it doesn't fit.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
  • jsun2kjsun2k Do not enrage the King! Joined: Posts: 86
    Meh A2 > A3 on music and some stages. Nothing beats ST though.
    something is arong with you guys. You got your heads stuck up nostalgias butt and Alpha 3 has great music. Just because its not the same songs they have been using ( minus Sagat's theme bc they know better than to change perfection) for years and years you wanna hate on it. I like the fact they did something different with the CPS2 soundchip and went the techno route. Its more hard edged. The backgrounds are sweet too. You guys are just being too biased and comparing it.

Alpha 2 wasn't even that great to me. Alpha 3 improves on so many levels and has everyone on it. Alpha 2 has like 16 characters at most and the system isnt refined yet. I actually had more fun with Alpha 1 then 2.

Nothing beats ST music??? Hahahah dont make me laugh. Soon as they turned sf2 over to the cps2 board the awesome FM music of sf2 turned crappy and high pitched. The music sounds wayyy worse. Esp Kens song and Blanka. They changed the music too much and it sounded thin. The original cps1 street fighter 2's had the better music. In my opinion.
  • kedawakedawa . Joined: Posts: 382
    I prefer the CPS1 audio in the SF2 games as well, and I'm not just talking about BGM. The sound effects are also much heavier sounding. The same thing happened to KoF; 94 sounds boss, while later games sound light and insubstantial.

The only thing I really dislike about A3 is the terrible art for the character portraits and victory illustrations.
    Other than that, I really like the presentation.
    A2 is like a nostalgic love letter to SF2 and Final Fight, and just refines existing tunes.
    I have a hard time choosing one style over the other, but A3 is where the Alpha series really got its own identity.
  • jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,227
    8LKve.png
    Looks like they either had planned for another stage or didn't know where to place lighting storm stage.

I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum

[8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games

• Will_DieselWill_Diesel Noble Savage of the inner city's darkest quarters. Joined: Posts: 1,150
    something is arong with you guys. You got your heads stuck up nostalgias butt and Alpha 3 has great music. Just because its not the same songs they have been using ( minus Sagat's theme bc they know better than to change perfection) for years and years you wanna hate on it. I like the fact they did something different with the CPS2 soundchip and went the techno route. Its more hard edged. The backgrounds are sweet too. You guys are just being too biased and comparing it.

Alpha 2 wasn't even that great to me. Alpha 3 improves on so many levels and has everyone on it. Alpha 2 has like 16 characters at most and the system isnt refined yet. I actually had more fun with Alpha 1 then 2.

Nothing beats ST music??? Hahahah dont make me laugh. Soon as they turned sf2 over to the cps2 board the awesome FM music of sf2 turned crappy and high pitched. The music sounds wayyy worse. Esp Kens song and Blanka. They changed the music too much and it sounded thin. The original cps1 street fighter 2's had the better music. In my opinion.

I really don't think it has anything to do with nostalgia. And something must be wrong with you if you personally had more fun with the first Alpha game over the 2nd when it really wasn't as fine tuned as it could have been. I like Alpha 3 and the backgrounds are comparatively just as good but you sound mad confused and just disagreeing to be a hipster.
    Liberalism is a mental disease.
    I disagree because it is MY PERSONAL OPINION. I personally spent more time with Alpha 1 than 2. I enjoyed Alpha 1 more and i hated what they did to rose on alpha 2. My opinion on the music still and always will stand.
    8LKve.png
    Looks like they either had planned for another stage or didn't know where to place lighting storm stage.

That stage is from the sf2 anime movie. That part of the movie takes place around that time sort of. Its where Sagat got his scar, which is why its their rival stage
  • Will_DieselWill_Diesel Noble Savage of the inner city's darkest quarters. Joined: Posts: 1,150
    Don't know or care much about Rose but you didn't elaborate so I'm guessing her being ruined is your opinion and nothing factual.

Of course everything you stated was opinion but stating that nostalgia must be the haze people who enjoyed the earlier Alpha game's soundtracks is silly. It's not like the games are a decade apart, the music sounds better because largely it sounds like the themes were fittingand it sounds like some actual effort was made.
    Liberalism is a mental disease.
    That stage is from the sf2 anime movie. That part of the movie takes place around that time sort of. Its where Sagat got his scar, which is why its their rival stage

No, the storm stage is in the game as Australia(Shin Akuma stage), but there is a graphic for New Zealand is not used at all in sfa2.

I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum

Alrighty
  • LemresLemres The Two G.O.A.T Joined: Posts: 1,600
    Really don't know why all the love for Alpha 2. Tried it and disliked it instantly. Didn't like the atmosphere or gameplay. It felt stiff to me. The music was subpar with only a few tracks that I can actually enjoy. The only thing I like about it was the backgrounds. You guys really are sleeping on A3. Even though there are some songs I hate in A3, the music is much better to me overall with a lot more tracks that I could listen to than A3. Chun-li, Karin, Gen, Ryu, and Cody come to mind. The story was top-notch as well, giving insight on the characters background and objective. Gameplay felt a lot more fluid to me as well. Everything I didn't like about A2, I loved in A3. Plus, it has my favorite SF character haha.
    Some people don't like straight up electronic instruments, 303 drums, words everywhere, the announcer, and so on.

Also, Street Fighter EX (arcade) had half the memory of sfa3 and still did way better music. Before you even start talking about that it is a different board let tell you the sound cpu. Both CPZN and CPS2 boards use a 4 MHz Z80 CPU with a Q-Sound sound chip so the only difference is how well your team can program and compose.

Again, these games used half the size that sfa3 took up.

• kedawakedawa . Joined: Posts: 382
    Technical details aside, it's still a bunch of forgettable muzak.
  • RoddyRoddy Count Blankula Joined: Posts: 112
    I think it's weird how most Street Fighter games take a turn for the worse when they hit the third sequel, at least when we think about stages and music.

IMO, Street Fighter 3 2nd Impact has better stages, Alpha 2 too... The only exception that comes to my mind is the Original Street Fighter 2 , that has better sprites and stages than the other versions.