Red Pantie Addict Anonymous: Sakura General Discussion!

Comments

• OD KryptonOD Krypton Mike Klitschko Joined: Posts: 48
    You just have to play her and get a feel. You can find combos in the forums, or figuring out what works on your own isn't difficult.

As far as a general "how to," that's going to vary depending on the matchup and probably depending on who you ask, just as with any other character.

That being said, my 2 cents that I would give to someone picking up Sak:

IMO Sakura is a footsies character who has great post knockdown offensive potential. Your momentum will start with a footsies victory -most likely a cr. Fwd xx dp, but it could be from a whiff punishing sweep, a throw, a crouch tech that hits and you confirm from, or whatever.
    Once you get a knockdown you have the potential do a large amount of damage in a way that will put you in another pos knockdown situation with the same potential. It is quite possible to end the round very quickly after one knockdown, or at least gain a sizable life lead.

If you don't immediately net damage from a post knockdown setup, you're still left in an offensive position with a lot of options. It is scary to press buttons when Sak is in your face, and even from a throw you will be able to continue your offensive pressure.

However, from the start of a round or any neutral situation during a round, you are playing footsies. Get that knockdown if you can, but you also need to play a strong defensive game at the same time. As Sakura, you really don't want to be pushed into the corner, so hold your positioning. This means being on point with anti airs, not being careless with fireballs and slow normals, and not allowing your opponent to bully you into walking backwards ( IMO to play Sakura, you NEED to be able to whiff punish. Don't let your opponent get away with throwing out poke after poke by just walking backwards. You being able to punish their whiffed normals will keep them from being overly aggressive and will help you get knockdowns -I.e with a cr. Fwd xx dp.)

So, given all that...

Anti airs: all dps exuding ex, different strengths for different ranges of jumps

Crouching fierce, for when their jump is coming down on top of you / just a little bit in front of you.

Close standing fierce, for cross ups and other jumps that are right above your head. Good for stuffing non meaty ambiguous jump ins and what not.

St. Hk, st. Mk, st. Mp, st. Lp. Can all have utility as anti airs in certain circumstances as well.

As for footsies:

St. Hk for far range poking. Slow start up but good hit boxes. Isn't going to lead to a combo or knockdown, but good for holding positioning and keeping distance between you and the opponent. Absolutely necessary for Gief matchup.

Cr. Mk is godlike. It has deceptively long range, 5 frame start up, and combos into dp. Buffer dp into cr. Mk done just outside the range that it will hit to catch opponent pressing buttons or walking forward. If it whiffs, dp won't come out obviously. This is kind of the basic Sakura footsie game IMO, but you can't just do it all day because a decent player will sweep you every time you whiff a cr. Mk

You can also buffer dps into st. Lp, st. Lk, and cr. Lk. All have different utility for this purpose and you'll just have to get a feel for it. They're all 3 frame normals and are also good for punishing moves that are unsafe on block (balrog's jab straight can be punished on block with a st. Lk xx dp if it's not spaced well.)

Sweep, along with cr. Mk xx dp, can be used to whiff punish.

That's all I feel like writing at the moment. Hope some of it's useful.
    Every new Sakura player needs to read this post. Although we all have different play styles but this is what's important to start with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    XBL - OD Krypton
  • LegendLegend Joined: Posts: 187
    Cr.MP becomes useful down the line too imo.
    PC AE2012: OFC Legend
    XBL: The OFC Legend
  • Fergus2k8Fergus2k8 Let's Rock! Joined: Posts: 2,642
    Cr.MP becomes useful down the line too imo.

Definitely, it's a great counterpoke! "The Hammer!"
    SFIV - Poison/Rose/Sakura | SF5 - Karin
    TTT2 - Asuka + Julia/Jun/Miharu T7 - Asuka

• ShogunFlowShogunFlow Stream Warrior Joined: Posts: 801
    Nice to see Sakura in the top 8 at evo.
    Jay Illestrate - Regular Cat Records - Psychedelic Hip Hop Music
    [SSF2T] Chun
    [VSav] Morrigan/Bishamon
    [MvC2] MSP
    [UMvC3] Morrigan/Storm/Akuma
    [SFV] Karin/Cammy/Laura
    Best of luck to HumanBomb and his Sakura!

• Whitney's MiltankWhitney's Miltank Got Miltank? Joined: Posts: 32
    Too bad Uryo's losers matches weren't streamed.

I finally saw the last match of humanbomb vs Poongko on Youtube, which I originally missed due to the stream going down. I can't be the only one who was saying, "blargh why didn't you do the ultra/super?!!"
    乙女はいつでもドキドキしたいの。
    Too bad Uryo's losers matches weren't streamed.

I finally saw the last match of humanbomb vs Poongko on Youtube, which I originally missed due to the stream going down. I can't be the only one who was saying, "blargh why didn't you do the ultra/super?!!"

My exact reaction!

Must have been nerves or something.

• atothexatothex Joined: Posts: 325
    Yeah, nobody plays as well on the big screen. Anyways, good shit HumanBomb.

If I read the bracket correctly, it looks like he beat Mike Ross when Uryo couldn't.
  • gzxgzx Joined: Posts: 79
    I think he has the potential to place high. He's shown he can beat PR Rog in casuals.
  • Sh!nStarw!nSh!nStarw!n Sakura of the Southwest Joined: Posts: 492
    Man, Human Bomb kept dropping combos and was pushing buttons.

Hopefully he will prevail in losers
    XBL: C88 Starwin

USF4: Sakura, Poison
    SFxT: Rufus/Law Law/Paul
    Injustice: Superman, Solomon Grundy
    Jojo's ASB: Dio Brando
  • ImmaculateImmaculate UltraBeard Joined: Posts: 650
    HumanBomb I wish he did better but then I expected a lot more out of Uryo
    I was kinda disappointed, HumanBomb dropped all the vital combos and just got flatout steamrolled.

But hey, a Sak in top 8 at evo!

• OD KryptonOD Krypton Mike Klitschko Joined: Posts: 48
    Humanbomb was always pushing buttons. Dropped his links. Gamerbee saw this weakness and PR Rog abused it. He got hit by so many headbutts. But humanbomb's Sakura is a counter-hit monster, great showing from him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    XBL - OD Krypton
  • Drizzle BubbleDrizzle Bubble FADC TAUNT Joined: Posts: 492
    HumanBomb was good but not great and I was really surprised he got so far. Like OD Krypton said, counter-hit monster! But still, not as solid as he could have been.
    Also, the EX tatsu into Seth as he recovered from the back teleport... was that intentional? Or was that just because HumanBomb missed the LK?

As for Uryo, I'm quite upset he didn't do better.
    SKULLGUUURRLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS - PARASOUL, FILIAAAA
  • LeggoLeggo Joined: Posts: 196
    HumanBomb was good but not great and I was really surprised he got so far. Like OD Krypton said, counter-hit monster! But still, not as solid as he could have been.
    Also, the EX tatsu into Seth as he recovered from the back teleport... was that intentional? Or was that just because HumanBomb missed the LK?

As for Uryo, I'm quite upset he didn't do better.

Definitely looked like an OS off his jump in. Won him the round so it was a nice call.
    Sakura match-up discussion in tier list thread, if you boys wanna contribute:
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/ssf4-tier-list-thread-reboot-super-ae-updated-02-01-09.123623/
    Definitely looked like an OS off his jump in. Won him the round so it was a nice call.
    I thought so too. Good stuff. :)
  • Mr. FlowersMr. Flowers Omega Male Joined: Posts: 2,087 mod
    Damn, I missed all of EVO 2012. I'm really glad a Sakura made it so far. Can anybody post the Sak fights?
    Don't nerf me!
    Not in any order, sorry. Just some random games I could find on youtube. Wish I could find more Uryo.

Just search HumanBomb Salty Suite. There are some good games there. :)

Hey, Mr. Flowers? You're from the UK right?
    If you are could you check out maaa thread. http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/uk-where-you-at-goukgoukgouk.163615/#post-7216139 I wanna get some stuff GOING!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bksamq/videos

This channel has loads of Salty Suite matches, and tons of HumanBomb's matches.

Not to be overly critical, but that guy really looks like he doesn't have regular access to a PS3 or something. Drops lots of 1-framers and seems scared to attempt dp FADC.

He also seems to prefer tatsu, sLP, sweep as an ender, which I haven't seen before. Pretty cool.
    Not to be overly critical, but that guy really looks like he doesn't have regular access to a PS3 or something. Drops lots of 1-framers and seems scared to attempt dp FADC.

He also seems to prefer tatsu, sLP, sweep as an ender, which I haven't seen before. Pretty cool.
    That is actually one of my favorite things to do. It's really cool to see another Sakura do it, especially a top one.
  • CallistoCallisto Level 3 Fireball Trap Queen Joined: Posts: 1,605
    Just got back last night, had a great time. Went 2-2 in pools, played really well in the first three matches once I got my nerves under control(one round of my first match I won almost entirely on throws because I was too spazzy to do anything else lol), but Kineda owned me pretty hard.

Got to do money matches against Ryan Hart and Latif in our hotel room sessions, and some casuals against Min. Latif absolutely destroyed me. I had decent matches with Ryan Hart, and he was probably the single nicest guy I met at EVO, a lot of big names were too Hollywood to play with us; several showed up, took our money and jetted; but he stuck around and played casuals and even spent about 45 minutes giving a private tutorial to my friend who is newish to AE.

Humanbomb made me sad, I haven't seen other matches of his but I'm assuming he's better than what he showed in those top 8 matches, he seemed very scared in those, lots of times he just didn't anti-air at all, and had several chances to FADC where he just didn't.

XBL: BG Callisto

YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSassageKing
    Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/bgcallisto

USF4 Sakura Combo Compendium Companion Blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thesassageking

• DeNiceDeNice Still Reppin' Dat Sak Joined: Posts: 150
    So I come back from a long hiatus from being on this board, missed EVO this year due to my work schedule, and I find out a Sakura made it to TOP 8 or all things!? The hell went on here? I just got caught up watching some matches online and as a Sakura player I'm pleasantly surprised at this. I will admit Bomb did a plethora of errors and incorrect reads once finals started but I can clearly see that he was playing nervous and that'll kill you on that big stage. Once he realized his nerves were shot he should've kept things a bit simple, watched his spacing better, cut out the links and went for straight damage combos with Shouo. Anything to build momentum, because nearly everyone he played was just DPing him through all those dropped combos (saw that as far back as him vs. Poongko in top 16)

Still, I'm looking for Humanbomb's earlier matches in the tournament to get a true feel on how his Sak game is. I think there's a little bit of something in there that I can make notes out of.
    I may be taking things easy these days, but that doesn't mean I still don't have plenty of fighting spirit! Proud fighting schoolgirl player since 97!

XBL-PS3-PC Tag: DeNice1776
    USF4: Sak/Chun/Poison | TTT2/T6: Xiaoyu/Miharu/Alisa/Lili/Asuka | DOA5: Ayane/Kasumi/Hitomi | BBCP: Noel
  • sandwichcookiesandwichcookie Unregistered User. Joined: Posts: 1,179
    yea, he made it to top 8 in winners, so he must have been doing something right..

I really wish uryo had picked sakura vs dieminion. He didn't do very well with viper anyway.
    I hated hipsters before it was mainstream.
    Yeah that was a huge missed adjustment. Dropping links due to nerves happens, but continuing to attempt them instead of just simplifying your game is a poor choice.

USF4 Sakura Combo Compendium Companion Blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thesassageking

• Pcutta24Pcutta24 PHS Sharknado Joined: Posts: 36
    Went 4-2 at evo almost made it last round last match =(
  • MWisk_2MWisk_2 Superduper Streamonster Joined: Posts: 1,042
    I went 1-2 at evo. I had to play it on a stick, I got my pad stolen during the flight and couldn't find a replacement in time. ='( It was super sad, they were all very close matches.
    New account, orig '06, same Brazilian monster. Shoutouts to Team Sp00ky! PSN: marcushardle
    Skullgirls: Valentine/Filia or Valentine/Double Gimme Squigly Mike_Z
    KOFXIII: Yuri/King/Terry UMVC3: Wesker/Storm/Sentinel Felicia/Virgil/Wesker
    AE2012: Sakura (main), Oni (alt.) SFxTK: Poison/Julia
  • hehwathehwat I'm cute & funny Joined: Posts: 604

a sakura setup i made recently. I have a bunch im writing down.
    Main: Sakura
    hmmm <3
  • WantonWanton Joined: Posts: 29
    Lately, I feel like I've been getting bopped by players who are stupider than me, and getting decimated by players who are smarter than me. Can't seem to break this middle ground of being average and it feels stressful. :(

Shout outs to Krypton completely wrecking my shit though. I have a lot to learn still.
    Lately, I feel like I've been getting bopped by players who are stupider than me, and getting decimated by players who are smarter than me. Can't seem to break this middle ground of being average and it feels stressful. :(

Shout outs to Krypton completely wrecking my shit though. I have a lot to learn still.
    She isn't a simple character. Keep at it.
  • Sh!nStarw!nSh!nStarw!n Sakura of the Southwest Joined: Posts: 492
    Curious if anybody was going to any of the 25th anniversary tournaments. Im going to Austin in about a week.

Also a setup I saw someone do in the salty suite.

Meaty j.rh, s.mk, lk tatsu, s.fp, lk tatsu, s.lp, cr.rh, walk forward a little, j.fp (crosses up)

He did this on Ryu and I'm not sure if it works on anybody else but it most likely does. The cool thing is that you can setup if it's a cross up or not.
    XBL: C88 Starwin

USF4: Sakura, Poison
    SFxT: Rufus/Law Law/Paul
    Injustice: Superman, Solomon Grundy
    Jojo's ASB: Dio Brando
  • DeebsDeebs Joined: Posts: 934

Anyone in the Midwest should try to make it out to the mitten for this. Should be a lot of people there, and we need more Sakura in dat ass.
    Waiting to find out when our next monthly is, if it's but that weekend I'll see if we can get a Chicago group up there. I gotta get my brakes fixed before I can drive that far, but I should be able to pull that off by then.

I promise more people will be there than the 8 that RSVPd on SRK.
    Yeah, I met a couple of Detroit guys at UFGT/EVO and it sounded like it should be a good tourney. I really would like to travel to more stuff between now and next EVO, I'm only an average player but Chicago is notoriously bad about traveling to other events and I'd like to break that at the least.

who'd you meet, out of curiosity?
    JimElNino, and there's a guy named Steve(Guile main) who was in Chicago for a few weeks.

Hmm. Jim's one of the coolest guys around.
  • Pcutta24Pcutta24 PHS Sharknado Joined: Posts: 36
    check out my pic any one Jelly?