"Critique My Akuma!" Video Blog Thread

rugirugi original 09'erJoined: Posts: 1,730
Since I don't feel I can explain some of the issues that I've been having playing akuma on paper, I decided to get a cap card and record them so some players on here can critique me. I'll be updating this often as I play pretty much every day, so hopefully this inspires some other people to do a similar thing(I know other character forums have this similar type of thread). If anyone wants to share videos of their play on here, thats fine with me too.

Ok, heres the first video:

EDIT:
Videos constantly updated at http://www.youtube.com/user/rugiOHHHH
"Everybody wild monkeys until that banana clip peel." - Tsu-Surf
"md cvs2 scene doesn't own a copy of cvs2" - 4r5

Comments

• ronskiironskii GOT EM! Joined: Posts: 141
    nice reset into bnb combo @ 0:32
    I alone have mastered the art of combat!
  • JasonLeeJasonLee Represent Joined: Posts: 139
    I noticed you ate two direct jump ins while crouching and I'm not sure why.
  • rugirugi original 09'er Joined: Posts: 1,730
    I was trying to SRK, but they didn't come out. :\

That guy wasn't really good, but it was just a test to see how the quality was going to come out. I've got more videos on the way.
  • Frank the TankFrank the Tank Old and bitter. It's your fault. Joined: Posts: 961
    Just a few things;

-EX moar. Seriously, Akuma's EX moves are fucking amazing, and you were sitting on bar the whole fight.

-Mix up your air FBs to cover different parts of the screen; you got really predictable, other players shouldn't be able to dash twice underneath your FBs.

-AA demon. Cuz dammit, it's the reason you're playing Akuma.
    It just comes down to this: scrubs will always make excuses for sucking at games, and good players will find ways to optimize their practice time and level up more quickly. -Fubarduck
    Just a few things;

-EX moar. Seriously, Akuma's EX moves are fucking amazing, and you were sitting on bar the whole fight.

-Mix up your air FBs to cover different parts of the screen; you got really predictable, other players shouldn't be able to dash twice underneath your FBs.

-AA demon. Cuz dammit, it's the reason you're playing Akuma.

gotcha. you're going to the richmond tournament next weekend, so I hope I get some time to talk to you about akuma x_x

heres another match vs. my friend mike's chun. I REALLY need some tips on this matchup, because he basically just rushes me with footsies and gets in my face. I know that alot of his jumpins go unpunished, so that's one thing I need to work on. Anyways, you guys be the judge. I've got the first six matches of our 30-game session today recorded, and although I played much better towards the end of the set I didn't record them. These ones I played pretty bad, but I guess that's a good thing because it exposes my weaknesses even more.

First games of the set. The rest are on the way.
  • ShinAkuma204ShinAkuma204 The Primordial Ooze Joined: Posts: 4,524
    Well, you need to keep practicing, but there are a couple of things I can point out.

- Don't let people get free jumps. Like ST one of the points of this game is to punish jumps. Work on always punishing obvious jumps.

- Learn to punish obvious fireball patterns with ex demonflip. You guys were just content to match like ten fireballs. You can actually p8inish a fullscreen fireball with ex demonflip is you anticipate.

- Never throw a 3 hit red on Ryu's wakeup if he has ultra from half screen or less. He gets a free ultra if you do.
    Who's cuisine reigns supreme?!

"Well I guess the future is rape and no one can stop it."
    Well, you need to keep practicing, but there are a couple of things I can point out.

- Don't let people get free jumps. Like ST one of the points of this game is to punish jumps. Work on always punishing obvious jumps.

- Learn to punish obvious fireball patterns with ex demonflip. You guys were just content to match like ten fireballs. You can actually p8inish a fullscreen fireball with ex demonflip is you anticipate.

- Never throw a 3 hit red on Ryu's wakeup if he has ultra from half screen or less. He gets a free ultra if you do.

If I ex demonflip the FB does that include the dive kick? or just demonflip throw/punch?
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin

I'm not sure if that's true tbh. It seemed that you can still jump out of it and ultra/super back. The Shaku stops ryu's ultra for 3 hits. Can anyone confirm for me if it's possible to jump out and still punish with an ultra or super? I haven't tested it yet.
  • ocdscaleocdscale Joined: Posts: 70
    I'm not sure if that's true tbh. It seemed that you can still jump out of it and ultra/super back. The Shaku stops ryu's ultra for 3 hits. Can anyone confirm for me if it's possible to jump out and still punish with an ultra or super? I haven't tested it yet.

The problem is that if it's truly meaty, the invincibility frames on Ryu's ultra start up allow the shaku to pass through him
  • ShinAkuma204ShinAkuma204 The Primordial Ooze Joined: Posts: 4,524
    If I ex demonflip the FB does that include the dive kick? or just demonflip throw/punch?

Either or is fine. Dive kick is recommended for the big damage tho.
    I'm not sure if that's true tbh.

It is true, which is why I said it.
    It seemed that you can still jump out of it and ultra/super back.

No you can't. 3 hit red has horrific recovery frames on it. Throwing it half screen or less can get you ultra'd.

You do understand we are talking about the 3 hit red fireball? The one with 63 recovery frames?
    The Shaku stops ryu's ultra for 3 hits.

Not in a wake up scenario. Ryu's ultra has invincibility frames on it to fireballs for sure. Red passes harmlessly through him.
    Can anyone confirm for me if it's possible to jump out and still punish with an ultra or super? I haven't tested it yet.

I did confirm it, otherwise I wouldn't have said it.
    Who's cuisine reigns supreme?!

"Well I guess the future is rape and no one can stop it."

i dont think you can jump out of it after using his fireball

if ryu uses his super you can use the raging demon to go through it if you use it at the right moment. wicked invincibility frames. cant go through the ultra though
    More Akuma vs Chun:

Tips are appreciated.
    Your game is considerably above mine, so I'll just make one observation (and take it with a grain of salt):
    You use your FAs mostly as a counter-poke, sometimes it works out really well (I recall you demoned twice in one of the videos).
    I think you can improve your results a little bit by mixing in some more feints out of the FA to make Chun more hesitant to try to punish it.
  • BokkinBokkin Have gun Will shoot Joined: Posts: 2,135
    yeah you need to punish the chun-li jump ins alot more. Also that chun wanted you to fireball for her overhead kick, lp shaka or regular fireball baits that and you can absorb it and dish out a level 2 fa for a free BnB. by the way on jump in from chun you can use cMK to buffer demon and demolish her.
    "I'm a titty fucking kind of guy"
    -MikeHasCookies 2011
  • Fatal Error XIFatal Error XI Rip & Tear, Until it is Done Joined: Posts: 1,446
    Take Chun's meter into consideration when you jump on her after a knockdown. You ate a few EX SBK's. Akuma's divekick can beat her ex sbk most of the time. You can also airFB, DemonFlip. When you were in the corner, chun used a lot of Hazan Shu's, FA them. Keep Akuma's air tatsu in mind when you need to escape the corner, smart players will try to bait your teleport then punish.

Im not that good myself, so take it with a grain of salt.
  • DJ ShowdownDJ Showdown Joined: Posts: 65
    You got some skills (those FADC's were tight and consistent).

I would say that you need to punish the jump ins. Some of those were easily readable and if caught early its an easy Ultra to make half Chun's health disappear.

You are better than me anyway keep it up.

I got RROD on my console two days ago but am getting it swapped on Sunday so add me and we can spar a few rounds.
    How did Rufus seduce his boyfriend?
    Testicle Romance
    Me vs. Rufus:

Me vs. Balrog
  • LordofUltimaLordofUltima MY MOVES R NOTHING Joined: Posts: 844
    I'd critique you for your anti-air, but I forget and misjudge them myself a lot of the time, so I'll just say good matches.
    ...yeah, but the summers are real nice in Washington.
    i absolutely suck online...still getting used to lag...i don't seem to find many other people playing at the same time i do in hawaii, so 3-bar matches it is for me...

either way, here are some things that might improve your chances of winning:
    - ex-srk on wakeup for winning chip damage (against your first post vs chun, this would have given you the battle) because ex-srk has invincibility frames all the way up.
    - when your opponent is crouching, opt for c.lp/c.lk, c.lp, c.mp, fb, fadc-->bnb instead of the lk.tatsu. a lot of times you had plenty of time to hit-confirm, but the lk.tatsu still came out and whiffed.
    - great use of s.hk, but you can cover/lead your jump-ins with air fireballs. i see you air fireball, then low attack a lot.
    - haha lovely uRD against rog in r2.
    - opponents who FA over you on wakeup should be eating uRDs.
    - opponents who FA your jump-ins often should be eating an air-throw or an armor-break demon palm.

all in all though you play a really solid akuma!
    EDIT: Added more videos against a Bison friend of mine.

Bison Vids

Have at it guys.
    New vids vs. my friend Icewilly:

And vs. mag9mitsuko:

Theres a lot more, but you can get to all of them through my youtube page:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rugiOHHHH
  • FermbizFermbiz Evil Joined: Posts: 94
    Bison has always been my problem opponent.
    Talk is cheap.
  • WestWest westernets Joined: Posts: 926 mod
    if youre going to srk fadc a jump in use MP 2 hits then 3 hit fireball. if you want, that is
    Whence cometh evil
    I know I should, just have a habit of doing the HP. Isn't there anything like really indepth that I could be doing better though? Anyone got tips on how I could zone better or what kind of mixups I should be implementing when i get a knockdown? Or my use of focus?
    I know I should, just have a habit of doing the HP. Isn't there anything like really indepth that I could be doing better though? Anyone got tips on how I could zone better or what kind of mixups I should be implementing when i get a knockdown? Or my use of focus?

when xbox comes back up lets play. maybe we can help eachother out
    Whence cometh evil
    when xbox comes back up lets play. maybe we can help eachother out

Good games.. sorry about my shitty attitude. There's something about akuma mirrors that just irks me, and I've never played another akuma as good as you. I'll upload the matches I recorded overnight, I didn't get all of them I just got the last couple.
    Good games.. sorry about my shitty attitude. There's something about akuma mirrors that just irks me, and I've never played another akuma as good as you. I'll upload the matches I recorded overnight, I didn't get all of them I just got the last couple.
    That West guy he's a joke. Don't fall for his good looks!
    Ok, matches are up now.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rugiOHHHH
    Check em out and tell me what you think I could improve.
  • MrQuestionsMrQuestions Joined: Posts: 259
    I want to play you too, but I think you're better than I am. I'll add you tonight if I get a chance...
    more akuma mirror? x_x
    more akuma mirror? x_x

i definitely understand man. i get pissed off playing a lot of people. u didnt catch that combo on record though?
    Whence cometh evil
  • mondo619mondo619 Joined: Posts: 128
    looks good
    Ohhhh, The weather outside is Weather.....
    i definitely understand man. i get pissed off playing a lot of people. u didnt catch that combo on record though?

no i didnt, i wasn't even planning on recording matches until after that happened, cause i remembered i wanted to have something to upload overnight
    no i didnt, i wasn't even planning on recording matches until after that happened, cause i remembered i wanted to have something to upload overnight

fuuuuuuuuuuu best combo ever
    Whence cometh evil
    fuuuuuuuuuuu best combo ever
    People been giving me "combo hate" recently. Seeing as you're king of combos can you tell them off for me? I'll say it was from West.
    People been giving me "combo hate" recently. Seeing as you're king of combos can you tell them off for me? I'll say it was from West.

tell all of them they are stupid and they should pick gief and map all their buttons to PPP
    Whence cometh evil
    tell all of them they are stupid and they should pick gief and map all their buttons to PPP
    WEST MA! PHD! Nice EX Air Tatsu -> Demon at the end of that third match. I'm going to say you stole it from me. Haha.
    Nice playing Rugi. You took me to school.

I had a hard time getting on the offensive against you, and normally I'm pretty decent at reading what people are going to do but you did an excellent job of being unpredictable. You also punished all my mistakes (and there were a lot) with damaging combos even though the lag was making it somewhat difficult to link.

You also did a nice job of baiting me to fuck up... normally im not that horrible :). At least I made it somewhat respectable I guess.

The one thing I would say is that you could punish with Demon on reaction more often, maybe you were trying and the lag was making it not come out. Other than that I don't think you can learn anything from me.
    GGs to you as well. I guess the one thing I can pull out from mirror matches is being on the other end of myself if that makes sense. Unlike West, your style is similar to mine in terms of being conservative and zoning and getting damage through anti-airs and things like that. After the first few matches I was just trying to see where I could posiition myself for you to become 'fidgety', because i find those mid-screen or less zones are where i make the most mistakes as well. Thanks for your tips too.
    GGs to you as well. I guess the one thing I can pull out from mirror matches is being on the other end of myself if that makes sense. Unlike West, your style is similar to mine in terms of being conservative and zoning and getting damage through anti-airs and things like that. After the first few matches I was just trying to see where I could posiition myself for you to become 'fidgety', because i find those mid-screen or less zones are where i make the most mistakes as well. Thanks for your tips too.

I know exactly what you mean, I was getting a serious taste of my own medicine when I tried to jump over a Zanku only to eat SRK. I bait people like that all day, but nobody has ever done it back to me before :). I messed up on the spacing a bunch of times, but I credit you for doing the safe jump that was just pixels out of my SRK range before you could land and block -- I need to be more careful about throwing out the SRK on that when I'm not positive about the spacing.

Yeah you really did a nice job of rattling me there. Usually I'm pretty good at landing my demon but you had me guessing and kept me off balance the entire time we played. I was having trouble doing what I wanted to do, I felt like you were in control of the pace of the game and I couldn't seem to get it back except for in little spurts.
    I actually though of one more thing that I forgot to mention earlier. I think you could be more conservative with EX and not use FADC combos when you don't need to. For example, a few of the times I messed up on spacing and whiffed SRKing you jumping over my Zanku you punished me with cMP xx FB -> FADC -> cHP -> BnB. In those situations I usually hold on to my meter and just do a non-EX combo unless I'm pretty sure the opponent still has some stun damage that hasn't reset yet and I'm going for the stun.

Maybe you were just practicing your FADC combos and not really trying to use meter as sparingly as possible, but I just thought I'd say IMO it's better to save the EX bars for when you can get more damage out of it. If I FADC in a combo it's usually because I can't finish the combo without an FADC, like if you hit with a cMK xx FB poke turn it into a BnB combo with the FADC.

I hope that's a good suggestion... but maybe I'm a little over conservative with my EX meter at times.
    For example, a few of the times I messed up on spacing and whiffed SRKing you jumping over my Zanku you punished me with cMP xx FB -> FADC -> cHP -> BnB.
    Does more damage than the typical LP SRK -> FADC, Red Fireball -- and if it's guaranteed damage, why not go the extra mile with the FADC? c.MK and c.MP might as well be the same attack, since they do the same amount of damage. The EX would have probably been spent elsewhere and done the same amount of damage.
    akuma gets meter fast, im finding myself sitting on super meter alot lately, i fadc a lot and im actually trying to do it more
    Whence cometh evil
    Ok, heres the first video:
    [/QUOTE]

Hrm. Well, when fighting a Ryu (Skilled or not) he has a pretty large advantage in the health department, so trading your close range mix ups can end up in his favor.
    Usually against Ryu's, if you lose a clash you will be punished for about 25 - 35% of your health. You have a pretty big advantage however, in your keep away and your methods of attack.

Akuma controls a huge amount of air and ground in front of him at about a 45 degree angle with fireballs and air fireballs. I usually spend the first round against Ryu's just nickle and dimming them with Fireball control usually off neutral jumps. lp if he is trying to rush you, hp to keep him at full screen, ex for combos. Rarely do I attack from a neutral state against Ryu. Then, if he starts to make a frantic offense, mix him up and BnB him for hand shakes.

You have no reason to launch an attack against Ryu. Your advantage is spacing control and speed. Just use it right and you should win. :) Hope this helps.

PS: I saw a lot of fireball wars. Akuma (imo) has the best answer for this. If you predict a fireball, just ex flip kick. if you are off the ground before the ball leaves his hands, you get a free combo... if you have an ult you can input it on the way up and hit the final input right as your foot lands and you can grab his arms and ult him. (Same works for Sagat but the timing is stricter)
    If you predict a fireball, just ex flip kick. if you are off the ground before the ball leaves his hands, you get a free combo... if you have an ult you can input it on the way up and hit the final input right as your foot lands and you can grab his arms and ult him.

How would this work? Using the punch input to also drop from the flip kick?
    Does more damage than the typical LP SRK -> FADC, Red Fireball -- and if it's guaranteed damage, why not go the extra mile with the FADC? c.MK and c.MP might as well be the same attack, since they do the same amount of damage. The EX would have probably been spent elsewhere and done the same amount of damage.

I meant I wouldn't have used FADC at all and went with cHP -> LK tatsu BnB. cMK has way more range and does different things to your hitbox than than cMP, but anyways, I'm talking about starting a combo off of a footsie cMK xx Fireball rather than when a person is wide open coming down from a whiffed SRK.

I guess I like to save my bars to cancel a reversal SRK, start BnB combos off of cMK pokes, EX Demon Flip, and EX Tatsu combos a lot more than I like to use them adding 40-60 damage in a combo. The exception is when you know it will stun or when it will end the match, of course.

For me, that seems to be the best strategy for using my EX bars.
    akuma gets meter fast, im finding myself sitting on super meter alot lately, i fadc a lot and im actually trying to do it more

Especially with your aggressive style...

I think I use EX Zanku and EX Demon Flip too often to have meter sitting around wasting away.

Mind if I add you on XBL? I'd like to try my hand at handling that onslaught :).
    How would this work? Using the punch input to also drop from the flip kick?

Nah you just dive kick -> cHP -> BnB combo them because the EX flip flies fast enough that they are still in recovery frames from the fireball.
  • Spish0Spish0 Joined: Posts: 139
    Here's my tips based on the first video. When you tried to do Roundhouse Far into bread n' butter, you tried to link Jab instead of Strong. When your crossups are blocked, do a crouching Jab and go for a throw. Change it up though with the Jabs and Shorts so you don't get predictable. When you have full Super, Kara Demon, . After a jump in Hurricane, instead of following up with a Roundhouse, do a Fierce Shoryuken.
  • $ynic$ynic Joined: Posts: 108
    Heya Rugi

since you asked for critique I thought I'd share my opinions with you. Now, first off, I'm no Gouki expert by any stretch of the imagination but I play him as my 2nd next to my main Viper. One of my hobbies of late is watching a LOT of e-sports videos (SF4, 3S, BB, GG and Starcraft) and I so happened to come across this thread. You've gotten a lot of good feedback on your vids and rightly so, but I feel a lot of people are missing a lot of mistakes you made or not pointing them out out of respect or w/e. I just thought I'd share some of the things I noticed because IMO you seem to be mixing expert play with some unnecessary mistakes.

First of all, you take WAY too much free damage. In the vs Sagat videos (mitmot or smt?) you take at least 30% of damage simply from walking into fireballs. As Gouki that is almost as vital a mistake as you can make. With his stamina you simply can't afford these types of errors.

Second, you say you are a zoning type of player, often lurking for counter opportunities and whatnot, and that's ofc a valid tactic. However that strategy hinges completely on your ability to do exactly that, counter. More importantly to make those counters "count". First, I've noticed multiple times that you eat a jump-in due to your staying in a crouching position. I'm assuming you're trying to get a SRK out but whether it was due to lag (willing to give you the benefit of the doubt here) or due to poor execution you'd basically end up eating the jump and the consequent combo. Now the players you played against didn't really capitalize on it as much as they could have, but there's a serious hole in your game right there. You're baiting your opponent to go for big openings and punishing them for it, but when you miss the punishment you basically just give them a big opening.

Third, as stated above, you need to work on making your counters count. The idea of the counter strategy is that you are under pressure (or at least on the defensive) most of the time and, while taking the occasional damage from a misread or a bad guess, you are able to make up for it by making that one big opening count for all the damage that's been done to you. Right now, you need too many openings to deal major damage imho. I advise you to go into training mode with attack data on and find out what Akuma's most damaging punish combo's are. Your favourite seems to be cr mp into BnB. You could add a ton more damage to this by making it into a cr. mp xx Hado > FADC > s. HP into BnB. Just one example. As Akuma you tend to have plenty of EX (I find) because of the fireball zoning and multi-hit combos.

Finally, I think you could improve in the area of ways of getting in. Again, against the sagat you got outzoned and basically your only way of getting in was EX flip, which you often missed (got blocked), then you resorted to blocking and got pushed back to the edge of the screen. All in all that cost you an EX stock and a shitton of chip damage and gained you nothing. I think you could work on slowly getting closer and closer into Sagat's "unsafe zone" (if he even has one :S) where you could at least make him more wary of throwing out Tiger shots. Basically in that match I think you lacked an up close pressure game.

Overall your play is solid with decent zoning, but I think these are some areas where you could improve. Again, take this for what it's worth because ofc I can't judge what influence lag had on your play. Just my observations, and you did ask for them :P

p.s. Also tick throws make for easy, non scaling damage. I didn't see too many of them, but they can be a valuable tool in your bag of tricks.
    Mechanical Intelligent Construct Hardwired for Assassination and Efficient Learning