"Critique My Akuma!" Video Blog Thread

Comments

• Sizar_92Sizar_92 Joined: Posts: 451
    Thanks alot guys. One more thing about learning matchups, what's the best way in your opinion. Hitting training mode and getting every situation done or just plain plane someone who mains the char properly?

Thanks for all your time now I can work on getting better faster.

I think it's good to practice punishes in training mode, but better to play someone good, because you won't learn the other character's high level stuff and/or shenanigans from training mode.
  • ShinAkuma204ShinAkuma204 The Primordial Ooze Joined: Posts: 4,524
    Thanks alot guys. One more thing about learning matchups, what's the best way in your opinion. Hitting training mode and getting every situation done or just plain plane someone who mains the char properly?

Thanks for all your time now I can work on getting better faster.

Both is best. Training mode lets you work out the kinks and playing for real gives you the experience of actual in game execution and scenarios.
    Who's cuisine reigns supreme?!

"Well I guess the future is rape and no one can stop it."
  • kenneathkenneath Joined: Posts: 39
    Hey guys I know this vid won't be worth your time but I appreciate if you guys take the time! :)

• gyrosphere09gyrosphere09 Joined: Posts: 179
    Hey guys I know this vid won't be worth your time but I appreciate if you guys take the time! :)

Yikes! Vanilla.

Anyway, I watched the first 2-3 minutes. Foremost, stop the unnecessary st.HK and air fireballs - meaning improve your footsies/pokes. Against Ryu (other shotos), random st.HK equals FREE punish as what happened when you ate an ULTRA. (That Ryu wasn't very good by the way.)

And if you haven't already, learn the "exploding heart technique" and its mixups. It is a most IMHO against shotos especially. Oh! Tiger-knee fireball too. Those two skillsets changed my matchups against Ryu/shotos etc. dramatically in my favor.
    Yikes! Vanilla.

Anyway, I watched the first 2-3 minutes. Foremost, stop the unnecessary st.HK and air fireballs - meaning improve your footsies/pokes. Against Ryu (other shotos), random st.HK equals FREE punish as what happened when you ate an ULTRA. (That Ryu wasn't very good by the way.)

And if you haven't already, learn the "exploding heart technique" and its mixups. It is a most IMHO against shotos especially. Oh! Tiger-knee fireball too. Those two skillsets changed my matchups against Ryu/shotos etc. dramatically in my favor.

Okay im new here, can you be more specific? What are footsies how do I improve them? and whats an exploding heart technique, oh yeah this ryu is the AI on hardest, I have no training partner except for the opponents at the arcade :/ and since i asked a lot I just wanna ask whats an OS and iirc? i have seen people typed this, and what are mixups and like before how do i improve them?
    Okay im new here, can you be more specific? What are footsies how do I improve them? and whats an exploding heart technique, oh yeah this ryu is the AI on hardest, I have no training partner except for the opponents at the arcade :/ and since i asked a lot I just wanna ask whats an OS and iirc? i have seen people typed this, and what are mixups and like before how do i improve them?

All your questions have already been asked and thoroughly answered here. You just need to weed/read through all the threads here. It will take some time but will definitely benefit you if you are bent on bettering your Akuma. Start with the FAQ thread.
    All your questions have already been asked and thoroughly answered here. You just need to weed/read through all the threads here. It will take some time but will definitely benefit you if you are bent on bettering your Akuma. Start with the FAQ thread.

okay thanks! :) will post another new vid in a week or 2! :)
  • Azure FlameAzure Flame Joined: Posts: 15
    Yo i'm new to this thread, but yeah i need help with the guile match up. i don't quite know the proper way i'm suppose to approach the matchup. these are some videos of me vs guile, sorry its not HD video, but its all i have, but you can still see whats going on. but any way, can ya'll just point out what i did wrong, right, and just some general tips, and in these videos i'm aware of some of my execution errors, and a random demon i did, but any help i appreciate!

"Arrogance is often the undoing of a would be victor"
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,223
    Azure_Flame
    A few tips for you :)
    1. Use your Shaku Hadou to nullify his projectiles. Attack when he has lost his charge.
    2. Always go for tatsu-sweep, crossups KILL Guile.
    3. If you can react to it fast enough (I know I can't, lol), you can FA demon his roundhouse sweep.

kenneath
    kenneath wrote:
    What are footsies how do I improve them? and whats an exploding heart technique, oh yeah this ryu is the AI on hardest, I have no training partner except for the opponents at the arcade :/ and since i asked a lot I just wanna ask whats an OS and iirc? i have seen people typed this, and what are mixups and like before how do i improve them?
    1. Footsies is the use of crouching attacks to control space. This space is generally the length at which your attack reaches.
    2. Exploding heart = (after a forward throw) dash twice + MK/FK DF Dive Kick. When you aim it at the top of a shoto's head you can beat out the SRK
    3. Don't play the AI at all for training, it never helps. Go online and face mashing rookies if you have to.
    4. OS = option select. Basically it means inputting a number of commands and then having the engine choose which command to use to best fit the situation. I personally HATE it.
    5. Mix-ups generally involve using tick throws, fakes, and high-low attacks to confuse and attack your enemy. An example of this would be doing a cr. mk on one wake-up, but then doing Akuma's overhead on the next when your opponent is thinking you're going to repeat the cr. mk.

Hope this helps you, man.
    Yo i'm new to this thread, but yeah i need help with the guile match up. i don't quite know the proper way i'm suppose to approach the matchup. ...
    [/url]

I watched the 1-3 video. You did good in the 3 vid round 2 where you kept the pressure and eventually scored the win. Here's what I noticed. You stayed within Guile's attack range pretty much througout every game giving Guile the advantage. Also, the unnecessary/random HK is a no-no. Either do nothing or throw a fireball. Don't forget Guile can advance after throwing a projectile. And Guile players always do.

My strategy versus Guile, I try to stay out of his attack range until I score a knockdown - via shaku, demon flip palm/throw etc. - then go in for mixups to finish him off. Typically against good Guiles, this boils down to a projectile war but it will be in your favor if you use "shaku" wisely. Basically, zone Guile out until a knockdown then rush him to death. Given what is in your video, spacing-wise, it is all in Guile's favor more or less.
  • Azure FlameAzure Flame Joined: Posts: 15
    thanks for the insight, i'll work on this.
    "Arrogance is often the undoing of a would be victor"
  • FazFaz Joined: Posts: 512
    Sup guys, here is a match I had yesterday:

Now I had another match too which I really wanted to upload but YouTube uploading is stupid and plain annoying. Anyway, looking back at the video, this is what I can see I am doing wrong.
    1. FAR too much st.hk, I'm sure someone with much better knowledge of how to play against Akuma would have punished the shit out of me.
    2. Once getting that all important knockdown, panicking and not knowing what to do, resulting in me having to start all over again.

That's all I can think of looking back at that video. I'll hopefully try and upload the other video later on today. Anyway, any feedback would be MUCH appreciated. Gracias :)
    "Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright before they open their mouth"
  • lockd0wnlockd0wn Joined: Posts: 408
    Both is best. Training mode lets you work out the kinks and playing for real gives you the experience of actual in game execution and scenarios.

What's wrong Shin, don't like mirrors? :o
    Alaskans; we live in igloos and ride polar bears to school! Don't believe any who say otherwise!
    GFWL; AKG lockdown
    SF; Akuma, Rose, Cammy
    What's wrong Shin, don't like mirrors? :o

They usually break when I look into them.

Seriously, my connection or Xboxlive has been giving me issues.

• TWBTWB Jurassic Jr. Joined: Posts: 50
    Sup guys, here is a match I had yesterday:

Now I had another match too which I really wanted to upload but YouTube uploading is stupid and plain annoying. Anyway, looking back at the video, this is what I can see I am doing wrong.
    1. FAR too much st.hk, I'm sure someone with much better knowledge of how to play against Akuma would have punished the shit out of me.
    2. Once getting that all important knockdown, panicking and not knowing what to do, resulting in me having to start all over again.

That's all I can think of looking back at that video. I'll hopefully try and upload the other video later on today. Anyway, any feedback would be MUCH appreciated. Gracias :)

Ok so you are playin the match up somewhat correctly. I will give a couple tips that will help with the matchup and make it a lost easier on you. First of all throwing out stand Roundhouse is fine just make sure you dont get predictable to the point where the able player is able to ex rekka/command grab the active frames/ neutral jump for a full punish. The combo you are doing after confirming the stand round house is good for most characters but with able you want alter the combo to Stand roundhousex Cr. Jabx stand jab(sometimes you can do multiple of theses)x sweep. This gives you the untechable to continue the vortex. Able is extremely vulnerable to demon flip grab he can ex roll or sometimes backdash. You did it a couple times so i think you know this. Another thing is you need to learn the Demon flip palm Ragin demon option select which will punish every answer able has on wakeup except for blocking and ultra. I have about 9 videos that i myself am uploading to the blog as i type this and i have one able matchup that you can watch and you will see everything i am talking about. Probably in a couple hours or so ill have it up.
    A 13 year old can play Fei...A 7 year old can play Bison.
  • FazFaz Joined: Posts: 512
    If you could link me to them once they are up that would be brilliant :)

Thanks a lot for that advice, I have a couple more to add but I want someone to record them for me as my laptop webcam is the only thing I have and that sucks.
    "Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright before they open their mouth"
    If you could link me to them once they are up that would be brilliant :)

Thanks a lot for that advice, I have a couple more to add but I want someone to record them for me as my laptop webcam is the only thing I have and that sucks.

- Wc Carnageo (Akuma) vs Denstoppable (Abel)
    First round is kinda bad lol im just kinda clownin but ya you will get the general idea.
    So I played about 10 matches with this Ryu today who is probably one of the only solid Ryu's I have met online. He had some good footsies and his overall play was pretty good. Here are videos of some of the matches. Im still a newer player, only been playing fighting games for about 7 months now so Im still trying to learn footsies/spacing and more advanced techniques that come with experience. So can you guys take a look and tell me what you think I could improve on? Btw please only comment if you know what you are talking about. Im aware of the obvious like "Dont throw risky fireball and stuff" lol

Ryu replay number 0
    Ryu replay number 1
    replay number 2
    Ryu Replay number 3
    Ryu replay number 4
    Cammy replay
    Abel Replay
  • superlollosuperlollo S Tier Joined: Posts: 2,967
    So I played about 10 matches with this Ryu today who is probably one of the only solid Ryu's I have met online. He had some good footsies and his overall play was pretty good. Here are videos of some of the matches. Im still a newer player, only been playing fighting games for about 7 months now so Im still trying to learn footsies/spacing and more advanced techniques that come with experience. So can you guys take a look and tell me what you think I could improve on? Btw please only comment if you know what you are talking about. Im aware of the obvious like "Dont throw risky fireball and stuff" lol

Ryu replay number 0
    Ryu replay number 1
    replay number 2
    Ryu Replay number 3
    Ryu replay number 4
    Cammy replay
    Abel Replay

I only watched the first 2 vids and some stuff immediately came to my mind:

- You were getting most of your damage from anti airs...a good ryu won't jump that much.

- He was backdashing a lot and you didn't seem to punish him for it

- You looked somewhat "scared" to jump over his fireballs...vs ryu you gotta learn the perfect distance where you can jump and his AA will whiff if you don't hit any buttons but at the same time you can hit him with the tip of your j.hk to combo into fs.hk. This will make him scared to AA you and sometimes you might as well get some free jump ins (correctly spaced of course, not those jump ins where he'll hit you anyways, like the ones HE was doing, hehe).
    You might also try to do some frame traps....oh and going for df throw after a techable kd on ryu is somewhat suicide...after a srk knockdown if he reversals lp dp he'll hit you no matter what you do (if you're in the air of course, be it a normal jump or any demon flip) and he can juggle will ultra.
    I only attempt df throw after a sweep because he should know that it I did df kick or palm he's gonna get punished so he should be scared to dp. Still somewhat risky, but a lot less
    Things that should be patched:
    - People that constantly complain that there should be a patch.

by. J.Scogz
  • VeNOM2099VeNOM2099 Step into my parlour Joined: Posts: 985
    If I may, I'd like to point out that you were entirely too eager to deal out damage to him by any means possible. A few times you got tagged by a reversal DP on his wakeup because you tried to stick something out. Why? It's already suicide to do this on a decent shoto, but you did it when he had Ultra and at least 2 bars stocked... Wake up SRK FADC Ultra1 for a world of hurt is what you're going to get for that.

You need to relax the pace a bit in this matchup. Don't let him stay within jumping radius from you; from there he can punish careless fireballs by jumping over your ground ones and landing a j.HK combo or sweep you if you try an air FB. You should be keeping Ryu outside of jumping distance as much as possible. From there you can AA SRK any jump attempt over your projectiles as you'll have time to recover (though you did pretty well in that respect when you had the chance).

In match 4, you lost badly because you forgot the basic principles of footsies: it's not about beating your opponent's normal attacks with yours, it's about managing your space and sticking something out when it's smart to do so. You did this well in the 2nd round of match 3. Your wakeup game on him consisted mostly of trying to stick out normals (which failed) or DF (kicks/palms/throw). Why didn't you go for x-up tatsu? I know it's hard to do on shotos, but it's still possible with the right spacing and timing and it gives him something else to think about as he has to learn to cover his backside with the cross-up rather than worry about protecting his front with reversal SRK.

Other than that, I think your Akuma is pretty good! You got good reflexes and your execution is solid enough (except for the few dropped combos... Lag?). Your style is defenitely geared towards offense unlike my Akuma which I've honed to be much more defensive in playstyle. Keep posting matches!!
    "Did I ever tell you... The definition of insanity?..."
    - Vaas (Far Cry 3)
    If I may, I'd like to point out that you were entirely too eager to deal out damage to him by any means possible. A few times you got tagged by a reversal DP on his wakeup because you tried to stick something out. Why? It's already suicide to do this on a decent shoto, but you did it when he had Ultra and at least 2 bars stocked... Wake up SRK FADC Ultra1 for a world of hurt is what you're going to get for that.

You need to relax the pace a bit in this matchup. Don't let him stay within jumping radius from you; from there he can punish careless fireballs by jumping over your ground ones and landing a j.HK combo or sweep you if you try an air FB. You should be keeping Ryu outside of jumping distance as much as possible. From there you can AA SRK any jump attempt over your projectiles as you'll have time to recover (though you did pretty well in that respect when you had the chance).

In match 4, you lost badly because you forgot the basic principles of footsies: it's not about beating your opponent's normal attacks with yours, it's about managing your space and sticking something out when it's smart to do so. You did this well in the 2nd round of match 3. Your wakeup game on him consisted mostly of trying to stick out normals (which failed) or DF (kicks/palms/throw). Why didn't you go for x-up tatsu? I know it's hard to do on shotos, but it's still possible with the right spacing and timing and it gives him something else to think about as he has to learn to cover his backside with the cross-up rather than worry about protecting his front with reversal SRK.

Other than that, I think your Akuma is pretty good! You got good reflexes and your execution is solid enough (except for the few dropped combos... Lag?). Your style is defenitely geared towards offense unlike my Akuma which I've honed to be much more defensive in playstyle. Keep posting matches!!

Hey thanks for the advice. Yea so about your comment regarding footsies. I truly dont think I understand footsies because of how new I am to these games. I mean the concept is clear but the experience is not. Is just playing the only way to get better at footsies/spacing? I think this is the next big step for me as I have the vortex down. Normally you would see a lot more vortexing but with better opponents I tend to take far less risks which is also something I need to work on.
    But thank you for the advice and do you have any suggestions for just overall improvement other than playing? I usually hit up the arcade about 2-3 times a week and I play some pretty good players so i know that helps. But what else?
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,223
    You have a solid-as-fuck Akuma for a person who doesn't understand footsies (according to you) :). It pretty much boils down knowing the range of your cr. mk and sweep, and punishing your opponent's bad footsies on reaction.

I have to say I don't agree with a lot of the stuff you said. You're not gonna win a footsie/zoning battle vs a good ryu, when you get a knockdown you gotta take some risk to deal as much damage as possible. Ryu's c.mk and his 1000 stamina give you no chance of winning if you wanna play HIS game (fireballs and footsies).

Also if you don't throw fireballs from the range where he can jump in on you what are you gonna do? Throw 2 fireballs, he focuses them and now you're cornered. You CAN shoot fireballs from mid range, you just don't have to be predictable, that's how zoning works. If you only throw them from far away you're gonna get cornered in like 10 seconds and then what?
    Just gotta read your opponent's jumping habits. If it weren't for the unblockable this match would be really hard if the ryu player has a soldi defense and knows his footsies.
    Also doing crossup tatsu on shotos is not "difficult" by any means...they still gotta guess....of course they can dp you by delaying their shoryuken as much as possible (non reversal) but if they happen to guess wrong and you were going for a j.hk they're gonna eat 400 damage 650 stun because they didn't do reversal dp which is not good for them. The risk/reward is still pretty much in your favour if they don't have 3 bars (all of his srk except EX will trade with your meaty j.hk, no ultra for ryu unless he has 1 bar for ex srk and 2 more for FADC)

by. J.Scogz
    I have to say I don't agree with a lot of the stuff you said. You're not gonna win a footsie/zoning battle vs a good ryu, ....snip. Ryu's c.mk and his 1000 stamina give you no chance of winning if you wanna play HIS game (fireballs and footsies).

This isn't exactly true. Akuma can hold his own with Ryu in the footsie department, just watch any Infiltration vs Laugh vid.

- [ESWC 2010

(Infiltration probably has the best footsies out of all Akuma players)

However Akuma does need to be on point and must be aware of all his options to win the footsie battle. While Ryu's footsies may be easier, they are not necessarily better.

Keep in mind I am speaking of offline play. I have no doubt that online Ryu can just abuse his cr mk to no end.

This isn't exactly true. Akuma can hold his own with Ryu in the footsie department, just watch any Infiltration vs Laugh vid.

- [ESWC 2010

(Infiltration probably has the best footsies out of all Akuma players)

However Akuma does need to be on point and must be aware of all his options to win the footsie battle. While Ryu's footsies may be easier, they are not necessarily better.

Keep in mind I am speaking of offline play. I have no doubt that online Ryu can just abuse his cr mk to no end.

Well you also gotta consider that infiltration is a MUCH better player than Laugh in just about every aspect (and one of those matches is AE, where ryu's c.mk got severely nerfed). Anyways, i feel that the added stamina Ryu has really gives him the edge...Akuma's footsies might even be as good as ryu's (and I honestly don't think they are) but going by single pokes and fireballs, akuma is gonna die MUCH faster than ryu...If the two had equal footsies, akuma would still be at a disadvantage in a purely zoning/footsies battle.

When i look at the 100 battle set tokido and daigo did, tokido was mostly going nuts on daigo's wakeup, there is no way he would have won so many matches by playing footsies only.

I'm not saying that akuma's footsies suck or anything, just the fact that he walks so fast+ + godlike sweep already make them very good, but I still feel that ryu has an advantage if the battle is only played on that level

by. J.Scogz
    Well you also gotta consider that infiltration is a MUCH better player than Laugh in just about every aspect (and one of those matches is AE, where ryu's c.mk got severely nerfed). Anyways, i feel that the added stamina Ryu has really gives him the edge...Akuma's footsies might even be as good as ryu's (and I honestly don't think they are) but going by single pokes and fireballs, akuma is gonna die MUCH faster than ryu...If the two had equal footsies, akuma would still be at a disadvantage in a purely zoning/footsies battle.

Well the idea is that Akuma can fight Ryu with footsies, and then attack his wake up.

I have nothing against taking advantage of a KD, just the idea that you win at footsies vs a good Ryu.

It's possible, just tough.
    When i look at the 100 battle set tokido and daigo did, tokido was mostly going nuts on daigo's wakeup, there is no way he would have won so many matches by playing footsies only.

Well Tokido is self admitted to have average footsies. What we need to see is Infiltration vs Daigo
    I'm not saying that akuma's footsies suck or anything, just the fact that he walks so fast+ + godlike sweep already make them very good, but I still feel that ryu has an advantage if the battle is only played on that level

That's fair, but Akuma can fight Ryu with footsies and then use any KD's to generate damage with his vortex. It's pretty much Infiltration's playbook on that match.

Well the idea is that Akuma can fight Ryu with footsies, and then attack his wake up.

I have nothing against taking advantage of a KD, just the idea that you win at footsies vs a good Ryu.

It's possible, just tough.

Well Tokido is self admitted to have average footsies. What we need to see is Infiltration vs Daigo

That's fair, but Akuma can fight Ryu with footsies and then use any KD's to generate damage with his vortex. It's pretty much Infiltration's playbook on that match.

That's what I was telling to Venom if you read the post carefully. He was telling the other guy to not take so many risks on wakeup and I told him that you're not gonna win a footsie only battle with ryu. Gotta take advantage of the KD and you can't really do so without taking some calculated risks. If you only play it "safe" there is a very good chance that ryu's gonna win, because that's how he wants you to play.

Btw, I remeber tokido saying he wasn't very good at throwing fireballs (or not as good as momochi anyways), I don't remember him saying that his footsies were only average...i might have missed that one though

by. J.Scogz
    That's what I was telling to Venom if you read the post carefully. He was telling the other guy to not take so many risks on wakeup and I told him that you're not gonna win a footsie only battle with ryu. Gotta take advantage of the KD and you can't really do so without taking some calculated risks. If you only play it "safe" there is a very good chance that ryu's gonna win, because that's how he wants you to play.

I know what you said. I didn't quote anything I didn't have a problem with. I am just pointing out it is possible to beat good Ryu's in footsies.
    Btw, I remember tokido saying he wasn't very good at throwing fireballs (or not as good as momochi anyways), I don't remember him saying that his footsies were only average...i might have missed that one though

He's talked about working on his footsies game multiple times. Once on the Gods Garden stream. Which makes sense. Compare Infiltration's style to Tokido. Infiltration has awesome footsies so he fights 90% his matches in the footsie range. Tokido zones and attacks your wakeup most of the time. If you could combine both styles you would have the ultimate akuma.

@ Superlollo: what I said is that he shouldn't be taking "unecessary" risks. It just seemed to me that his gameplan, on the whole, seemed a bit 2 dimensional in that he was always going forward and trying to land an attack at all costs, no matter what the situation was. Like the times he stuck out a poke on Ryu's wakeup only to get reversaled/countered... He could've gone for other options than the same poke attempts is all I was saying.

I agree with you that you have to mount an attack against Ryu. I just think you have to pick your moments and be varied. Ryu's comfort zone is just inside jump distance where his normals can hurt you the most if you're careless. Online, Ryu's tend to follow the pattern Shin suggested: they abuse the cr.MK like a medieval wench... So staying out of it's range is very recomended. At least for someone of my level. I know x-up tatsu works fairly well on Ryu so I wasn't discouraging him to do it, just mentioning that the timing and spacing to make it work has to be on point. I do it when I can in my matches because it could lead to decent damage and another UKD.

Now players like you or Shin who are MUCH more comfortable with Akuma's options can obviously disagree with my views. But as a beginner to another beginner, I just thought I'd share what should be some similar point of views.
    - Vaas (Far Cry 3)
    @ Superlollo: what I said is that he shouldn't be taking "unecessary" risks. It just seemed to me that his gameplan, on the whole, seemed a bit 2 dimensional in that he was always going forward and trying to land an attack at all costs, no matter what the situation was. Like the times he stuck out a poke on Ryu's wakeup only to get reversaled/countered... He could've gone for other options than the same poke attempts is all I was saying.

I agree with you that you have to mount an attack against Ryu. I just think you have to pick your moments and be varied. Ryu's comfort zone is just inside jump distance where his normals can hurt you the most if you're careless. Online, Ryu's tend to follow the pattern Shin suggested: they abuse the cr.MK like a medieval wench... So staying out of it's range is very recomended. At least for someone of my level. I know x-up tatsu works fairly well on Ryu so I wasn't discouraging him to do it, just mentioning that the timing and spacing to make it work has to be on point. I do it when I can in my matches because it could lead to decent damage and another UKD.

Now players like you or Shin who are MUCH more comfortable with Akuma's options can obviously disagree with my views. But as a beginner to another beginner, I just thought I'd share what should be some similar point of views.

Yeah I agree that he could have used more fantasy with his vortex instead of sticking out those normals on wakeup, but having a good "vortex" takes quite some time. When I was starting I also kept using the same options, reading your opponent and changing your wakeup strategies accordingly can take some time.

One thing I noticed about the average online ryus is that they jump A LOT (even more than using c.mk) and in that sense your tip of not throwing mid screen fireballs was actually right. In a match vs a good ryu you might not see him doing a jump in AT ALL (especially after you have ultra)

by. J.Scogz
    Yeah I agree that he could have used more fantasy with his vortex instead of sticking out those normals on wakeup, but having a good "vortex" takes quite some time. When I was starting I also kept using the same options, reading your opponent and changing your wakeup strategies accordingly can take some time.

True. I mean, I can go back on my youtube channel and pick any number of the very first videos I posted of my Akuma and immediately agree with that. Still, for a "beginner", he's not that bad. His execution is good enough that he could, I think, take a more varied approach to his attack patterns to keep the other guy guessing.
    One thing I noticed about the average online ryus is that they jump A LOT (even more than using c.mk) and in that sense your tip of not throwing mid screen fireballs was actually right. In a match vs a good ryu you might not see him doing a jump in AT ALL (especially after you have ultra)

LOL! Oh yeah! I've punched more Ryu in the ballsack during online matches than I care to remember at this point... :rofl:

That said, I gotta post up Shin's endless matches from the other night. I have one of his matches against a Ryu where he's using his patented "Ryu setup" and it's pretty effective. He used it against me as well and I just couldn't find a way out of it without being too predictable (I.E. TP out).
    - Vaas (Far Cry 3)
    True. I mean, I can go back on my youtube channel and pick any number of the very first videos I posted of my Akuma and immediately agree with that. Still, for a "beginner", he's not that bad. His execution is good enough that he could, I think, take a more varied approach to his attack patterns to keep the other guy guessing.

LOL! Oh yeah! I've punched more Ryu in the ballsack during online matches than I care to remember at this point... :rofl:

That said, I gotta post up Shin's endless matches from the other night. I have one of his matches against a Ryu where he's using his patented "Ryu setup" and it's pretty effective. He used it against me as well and I just couldn't find a way out of it without being too predictable (I.E. TP out).

Are you talking about ending the bnb with lp srk fadc shaku and immediately going into df kick? Akuma's dp will beat it, it has more invuln. than ryu's....if he palms i think he can block in time tho. The better option is usually blocking tho, hehe

by. J.Scogz
    Are you talking about ending the bnb with lp srk fadc shaku and immediately going into df kick? Akuma's dp will beat it

It doesn't beat it. You will trade or win. And with Akuma's low stun that's a good option.

It doesn't beat it. You will trade or win. And with Akuma's low stun that's a good option.

Hey shin you probably already know this but an alternate vortex option from that setup is to heavy DF palm whiff you will land cross up ( most players will not block crossup) and you can go into Jab fierce BNB. I use it at the arcade a lot and get pretty good players like Jason cole and buktooth with it. It works for the most part but only till they catch on of course. Also did you take a look at the vids of me vs that ryu? Im curious to what you thought.
    Are you talking about ending the bnb with lp srk fadc shaku and immediately going into df kick? Akuma's dp will beat it, it has more invuln. than ryu's....if he palms i think he can block in time tho. The better option is usually blocking tho, hehe

I was mashing DP hardcore against him (and I hate to mash...), but he kept stuffing me. Tried LP, MP and HP/EX versions.

@ TWB: as I mentioned in another thread, JR actually suggested going with cr. LP + LK starter after palm as it techs throw attempts and is generally better as most people don't block low after the cross-up palm. Plus, cr. LP can be blocked high or low... I'm currently practicing it offline and it does work pretty well as it will give the opponent something else to think about when you go for the cross-up palm tactics.
    - Vaas (Far Cry 3)
  • LoyalSolLoyalSol Drunken Akuma Joined: Posts: 6,905
    One thing you can abuse to hell is that Akuma's SRK beats Ryu's SRK cleanly every time and that Akuma's SRK is hit confirmable. If you add in a few of these options you will start to find things like cross up Tatsu's start becoming more effective because Ryu is scared to death of SRKing.

Empty Jump c.LK+c.LP OS
    Empty Jump SRK
    Empty Jump Grab
    Not so empty jump (Risky, but if you throw it in once in a while it keeps them honest and leads to big damage if you trained them well)

If you add those techniques onto your normal array of anti-ryu options it actually makes for an effective vortex. I already developed most of these as variations of anti-ken mix ups that happen to work even better on Ryu because of Ryu's weak DP.
    Under stress you will not rise to your expectations, you will fall to your level of training.
    I was mashing DP hardcore against him (and I hate to mash...), but he kept stuffing me. Tried LP, MP and HP/EX versions.

@ TWB: as I mentioned in another thread, JR actually suggested going with cr. LP + LK starter after palm as it techs throw attempts and is generally better as most people don't block low after the cross-up palm. Plus, cr. LP can be blocked high or low... I'm currently practicing it offline and it does work pretty well as it will give the opponent something else to think about when you go for the cross-up palm tactics.

if the palm is ambiguous enough (and you have quick reflexes to hit confirm with only one hit) starting with c.lp will grant A TON more damage than doing the standard OS clk clp clp. I usually do both, the one with c.lk has a slight more chance of hitting, but you'd be surprised of how many times the c.lp will hit

by. J.Scogz
    Hey shin you probably already know this but an alternate vortex option from that setup is to heavy DF palm whiff you will land cross up ( most players will not block crossup) and you can go into Jab fierce BNB. I use it at the arcade a lot and get pretty good players like Jason cole and buktooth with it. It works for the most part but only till they catch on of course.

Yeah I know of that option. However that is a smart and tricky option, so you don't see much of it in my vids because smart and tricky only works on legit players and most randoms online have no fear spamming something no matter how often you bait and punish.
    Also did you take a look at the vids of me vs that ryu? Im curious to what you thought.

I'll take a look and offer my opinion.

I'll take it video by video.
    Ryu replay number 0

Ok, first thing is too many focus's's's'...??? Anyway, don't focus too much and don't ever bother focusing jumps against a shoto. Akuma's backdash is so ass that the heavy DP will hit you if you decide to just absorb+dash out.

Rule of thumb for me is only focus 2 fireballs before recharging. Akuma's stamina is too low to focus after that and either puts you on defense until you recharge or makes any attack a big risk. nothing like losing 200 hit points to a jab.

Also you need to punish Ryu's jump. I understand it's online and everybody is guilty of failing to punish. However Ryu has a predictable jump arc, there is no reason to let him in. You need to make a mental note of every time you let Ryu jump in and adjust your style to start punishing his jumps.
    Ryu replay number 1

Better on the punishes, however I don't like you bar management choices. EX fireball with Akuma isn't too hot, and almost no reason to throw it in a fireball war. I would rather use the bar on ex tatsu combo, ex DF setups or FADC combos that setup more pressure.
    replay number 2

This vid showcases the problems I pointed out in the first tow vids. Not dealing with Ryu's predictable jump and poor bar usage.
    Ryu Replay number 3

Other than what I have already mentioned I would like to point out that your goal should be to hold your opponent in the corner. (particularly Ken, Ryu and Makoto) You hit him with a big combo and then crossedup thus letting him out of the corner. The reason you want to hold him in the corner is to set him up for a throw to initiate the unblockable. Generally speaking if you hit Ryu with a heavy BnB that drives him to or near the corner a successful throw into unblockable will kill him.

Basically it's combo into corner. Throw. Unblockable. Ryu is dizzy. LV3 Focus into another corner throw. Unblockable.

This isn't that setup exactly but it is a good example of how Akuma's anti Ryu options can dominate Ryu.

Ryu replay number 4

Well, first thing is when Ryu whiffs metsu in the corner, even without a quick rise you can punish it with wake up demon.

Try to work on hit confirming off a single jab into strong or fierce. You damage and stun output will benefit greatly. Stoop using your bar for ex dp enders. Save it for better pressure when you need it.

Basically work on your AA punish. Better hit confirms and footsies. Manage the bar a little better and learn some good vortex setups to open your opponent up.

Some vids for your perusal:

I'm still having a lot of trouble against Rog. Especially if I can't find that "rythm" that lets me get in and start the DF palms on him. I'm getting better at the Blanka matchup though.
    - Vaas (Far Cry 3)