"Critique My Akuma!" Video Blog Thread

Comments

• MuaythaiFanMuaythaiFan Jackpot! Joined: Posts: 50
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn7IWp1-dXs
    (Not sure how to do hotlinking. tried [me dia=youtu be]Zn7lWp1-dXs[/me dia] without the spaces, and it showed up blank.)

Here's the first video of my Akuma. I'm new to Street Fighter, but not fighting games. This is partly a quality test, but I told myself today that no matter who the first good player I played was, I'd upload it. So here's a match against Chris Hu's Oni.
    My own comments on the match:

I'm pretty glad I had the presence of mind to hit the other direction to get ultra demon to come out when he tatsus over my c.MK. :D

Rip into me, other than the dropped combos (very rare for me, I must've been intimidated by the name, I haven't played many big names in SF! I'm free to fame D:)
    1.@0:40 After you got the counter hit sweep you do a Df.palm to a Cr.jab Cr.jab then you go for a grab at this range you are to far that's why his jab hit you. learn how Kara grab with St.hp to get more range.
    2. i notice you throw alot of Cr.forward either buffer Dp while your Cr.med kick is active to catch jump ins or buffer demon if you have revenge meter. always make it a habit to buffer demon when you do Cr.forward or Cr.roundhouse comes in handy if they focus then u can demon them.
    3.@1:10 you dash n do a back throw you immediately do a Lk.Df kick it whiffs and he punishes with just a throw, if it was some one else he could of punished you harder. what i do after a Back throw i personally go for forward throw but if i get a back throw i go for Lk.Df grab or Os jab,sweep,jab.
    4.@1:17 missed ex dp punish you gotta be on those.
    5.@1:21 nice Cr.forward under air tatsu but again you go for a back throw do a forward throw more mix up options.
    6.@1:30 you dp fadc n miss Red Fireball (Shakunetsu Hadouken)
    7.@1:52 you do a Hk.Df palm wiff and you immediately go for a jab but you got beat out because he knew what you were doing right away.
    8.@2:00 nice block string but try to delay Cr.strong a lil longer to get counter hit.
    9.@2:40 you get the demon but just walk back n forth? what i like to do is whiff a Cr.strong then immediately do a Tk air fireball or Lk.Df Grab.
    10.Throughout your match but @2:44 you walk forward and do St. roundhouse he punished you and killed you! when akuma walks forward usually that's a clear indicator hes going to do St.roundhouse and he was right. he blocked and punished you it cost you the round. what i like to do is walk forward n whiff St.Lk makes em think twice.
    11.@3:00 you do a Hk.Df kick and get punished for it remember your playing a character that has the second lowest hp in the game you want to take risk that will be in your benefit.
    overall the final round was better but you missed afew jump in's and @3:40 you got a Df.palm knock down but went for Crossup tatsu too late he was doing onis groundpound thats why you couldn't sweep him after. heres two vids you should watch to get a better idea on how to properly play him better but overall you did decent against a very good player.
    1.the vortex game
    2.how to do Tk airfireballs
  • AndyGAndyG Joined: Posts: 448
    Thanks for all the input, I didn't even know Akuma had a kara throw. I know LK demon flip after bthrow sucks, it never works for me, but I can't seem to break myself of it, it seems so intuitive -_-

You're right, I haven't really even thought of the impact of using s.HK against crouching opponents, and how bad I can screw myself with that.

My fundamentals are strong from other games, but everything you listed really highlights how badly I need to work on specific Akuma stuff and stop coasting. I appreciate it.
  • MuaythaiFanMuaythaiFan Jackpot! Joined: Posts: 50
    Thanks for all the input, I didn't even know Akuma had a kara throw. I know LK demon flip after bthrow sucks, it never works for me, but I can't seem to break myself of it, it seems so intuitive -_-

You're right, I haven't really even thought of the impact of using s.HK against crouching opponents, and how bad I can screw myself with that.
    You're welcome :) but i forgot to mention st.Roundhouse against specific characters that whiff after the first hit can work in your advantage, as soon as your second roundhouse starts up most players are ready to punish you. in the mean time you are buffering demon during s.Roundhouse animation. this is very risky but i can tell you from experience this has worked for me online at the arcade even at tournaments.
    take this match for example from Evo 2k10 Infiltration vs Shizza @4:30
  • ClxJamesClxJames Still A Beginner... Joined: Posts: 2,548
    omg Infiltration...... just teleport....
    Not all 09's are created equally - http://www.youtube.com/user/SheltonShenanigans
  • PredestinedPredestined Joined: Posts: 1
    I just got back from a 65 man tournament in Seattle where I just waxed a DJ player to make top 16. You can vortex him quite well. You just have to know your options.
    Damn Im sorry I just drop by to see what Akuma players are speaking and lo an behold I find u saying some stupid crap like u can vortex DJ...u cant BUT...the thing u can do if the DJ player is not grabbing u on wake up is to bait with safe DFpalm or play FB games intill every DJ does u focus the first FB DJ does, then the noob DJ slides then u focus the slide into demon or punish it w/sweep or what hav u... thats is what I do, and DP his jump ins its pretty straight forward...u may hav vortex-ed a shi**ty DJ that does not know his options stay free Sol
  • metallicabandmetallicaband DP & A TELEPORT ?!! Joined: Posts: 2,330
    Wow, looks like someone has too much time on his hands trolling the Akuma forums lately, DJ can be vortexed, we can tatsu sweep him for God's sake.
    Shin Akuma V-Trigger Kreygasm, make it happen Capcom .
    Vanilla SF4 > AE 2012: Main: Akuma | Alt: Bison
  • LoyalSolLoyalSol Drunken Akuma Joined: Posts: 6,905
    Wow, looks like someone has too much time on his hands trolling the Akuma forums lately, DJ can be vortexed, we can tatsu sweep him for God's sake.

Just ignore the troll.
    Under stress you will not rise to your expectations, you will fall to your level of training.
  • ClxJamesClxJames Still A Beginner... Joined: Posts: 2,548
    Ignoring trolls is hard. They are so big and hairy
    Not all 09's are created equally - http://www.youtube.com/user/SheltonShenanigans
  • FazFaz Joined: Posts: 512
    This guy has a personal vendetta against you Sol, money match him at next EVO and then see if he runs his gob to you. When there's money on the line he'll be a quiet little bitch and won't say anything, he'll lose and then you'll never hear from him. That's what dicks like this are like.
    "Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright before they open their mouth"
  • VeNOM2099VeNOM2099 Step into my parlour Joined: Posts: 985
    This guy has a personal vendetta against you Sol, money match him at next EVO and then see if he runs his gob to you. When there's money on the line he'll be a quiet little bitch and won't say anything, he'll lose and then you'll never hear from him. That's what dicks like this are like.
    Shit, just play him online in Endless and create a replay room. Invite me and I'll capture it in glorious HD and post it to my Youtube account!
    "Did I ever tell you... The definition of insanity?..."
    - Vaas (Far Cry 3)
  • ZidbeansZidbeans Beaker knows... Joined: Posts: 163
    I'm a bit lost in this matchup.
    Anyone care to help?

I think the best advice to give is to play a little bit of Seth, just like when watching an Akuma after a forward throw you can ID if the hit is going to be a crossup or not, the same is possible with Seth. For example, first vid at 1:22 was going to be a crossup because of how far he walked forwards after the dash.

First vid we can only really focus on how he got in, first round you eased off a little too far after your EX DP combo ender, I wish inputs were on because we'd probably see him buffering the DP but he didn't let it rip because you were too far away.
    Second round you didn't want to teleport because he showed you he can punish it in the first round. If you're low on stun and relatively high on health I'd recommend teleporting out on the first knockdown and just accepting the st.fierce because I like those odds better. Another thing is simply that you showed him you weren't willing to uppercut without meter, you've gotta just do it.

Start of the second vid.. I thought that palm was going to be safe, obviously just a tiny bit too slow on the demonflip, but that would have caused all kinds of misery if the DP was blocked.
    0:23, same setup, SPD, dash, walk forward that far for crossup, a little less for non crossup. Try that in training mode yourself and you'll easily be able to ID it in matches.

I don't know what mindset you have about the Seth matchup but it's worth noting that there isn't really any other matchup like it in that it's pretty rare for any round to be close, the momentum swings to the extreme end of the scale either way.

It might help to watch those South Korean arcade tournament Infiltration vs Poongko matches.. the ones before Poongko levelled up :x

Re-reading what I've written, some of it could come across as arrogant, please don't take it that way it's just that Seth is probably my best secondary so I know a little bit about it, plus nobody else had written anything for you yet.
    Arrogant? Where did you get that from. That seemed like good advice to me. My friend also mains Seth and I find it hard to beat him at times, he is so solid. I'd say his Seth is only second to HutchUSA in the UK.
    "Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright before they open their mouth"
  • superlollosuperlollo S Tier Joined: Posts: 2,967
    I think the best advice to give is to play a little bit of Seth, just like when watching an Akuma after a forward throw you can ID if the hit is going to be a crossup or not, the same is possible with Seth. For example, first vid at 1:22 was going to be a crossup because of how far he walked forwards after the dash.

Not necessairly, his DK isn't like Akuma's he has a bigger time frame where he can do it and there is almost no way to tell which side he's gonna end on.

Same goes for akuma after his f.throw dash x2. If the akuma player can delay the j.hk AND the crossup tatsu (ie: if he can do it how it is supposed to be done) there is no way to know which side to block except guessing and looking at patterns.
    Things that should be patched:
    - People that constantly complain that there should be a patch.

by. J.Scogz
    Not necessairly, his DK isn't like Akuma's he has a bigger time frame where he can do it and there is almost no way to tell which side he's gonna end on.

Same goes for akuma after his f.throw dash x2. If the akuma player can delay the j.hk AND the crossup tatsu (ie: if he can do it how it is supposed to be done) there is no way to know which side to block except guessing and looking at patterns.

You've than to me before, it's hella dirty -.-

While this is true I would say that it is within a player's ability to react to the divekick at the crossup range because they will have to do the divekick early in order for it to be combo-able (especially due to the AE change of reduced hitstun on divekick)

I would be interested in a retrospective analysis on these vids from MBR himself, as he informed me at SvB that he feels a lot more confident in this matchup.
  • GamogoGamogo Common sense isn't. Joined: Posts: 2,892
    2 more replays of mine. Please comment.

Your AA game seems weak and you're not capitalising on your knockdowns enough. It also looked like you were dealing with the Guile matchup reactively rather than applying a game plan - you gotta knock that bastard down and then go to town on him. Cross up tatsu obliterates Guile and from a forward throw you can also whiff fs.hk and then go for an hk flip kick to snuff out his options. If he starts defending, whiff the palm and c.lk, etc > tatsu him ending in sweep, then do it again or make him guess with flip grab.

I felt that your fireball game could perhaps use some work as you tossed out some truly unsafe ones and ate a bit a damage in the process (but not near enough as the Guile didn't capitalise to the maximum). Also lp dp him between a blocked c.hk's hits, or demon.

I like your motivation to go for counterhits and you also had decent defense when pressured which is a key strength for Akuma players. Nice AA demon to wrap things up - very tidy :D
    Guacamole is awesome.
  • lockd0wnlockd0wn Joined: Posts: 408
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=dTpKnclLvUc

Alright guys. Lay it on me, all of it. No brokeback. Apologies for the slight choppiness, it's the damn stage coupled with Fraps.
    Alaskans; we live in igloos and ride polar bears to school! Don't believe any who say otherwise!
    GFWL; AKG lockdown
    SF; Akuma, Rose, Cammy
  • famefame I live to Demon Rage, Ansatsuken practictioner. Joined: Posts: 49

now my fellow demonZZ, appreciate a true demon who bring the pain in real life.
    Follower of the Ansatsuken (the Assassin's Fist). The Satsui no Hado is the way.
    PSN: fasic
    XBL: fasic
    PC: Coming soon..... fasic if avaible.
    I wanna fight and beat the best.
    '

Sigh. So free. So fucking frustrating. I lost my temper, ability to combo and rational thinking skills by the time the third round started.
    Alaskans; we live in igloos and ride polar bears to school! Don't believe any who say otherwise!
    GFWL; AKG lockdown
    SF; Akuma, Rose, Cammy
  • makistarmakistar XBL sucks when you live in Hawaii Joined: Posts: 17
    i played this guy several times and got whooped...i hate dee jay.

LOCKDOWN IS FREE .. against Bison and Deejay. Actually, I think I'm the weirdest Akuma player alive. I lose mostly against Akuma's good matchups, smfh.

SSFIV2011-09-2114-38-02-49.png
    GFWL; AKG lockdown
    SF; Akuma, Rose, Cammy
  • SKGSKG Joined: Posts: 65
    Hey peeps been a while since i posted on these forums been recovering from a madness, anyways got a couple vids from AE for your viewing pleasure. B)

http://youtu.be/4vuVyuD90GI

http://youtu.be/PbDeedLZ0xU
    Here we go.

You need to hitconfirm, you need to stop jumping, you need to anti-air, you need to stop doing less random demons because I'm pretty sure all of them could have been escaped by simply jumping.

You need to heed the advice you are given this time, if anyone even bothers to give you the time of day.
  • Moody SteveMoody Steve Joined: Posts: 120
    Hokay...a few things in the Bison match.

1. On Bison's wakeup, you did DF Dive Kick every time - you're better off doing option selects off of DF Palm. Check the Matchup Thread for the best option selects.
    2. You jumped away from several of Bison's teleports, which were all huge opportunities to land either a sweep or a fat combo.
    3. Don't try to AA with Super. It doesn't work.
    4. Don't hit buttons when you're being pressured with either cr.LK or LK Scissors - that's asking for a counter hit.
    5. When you won Round 2 with j.HP - EX DP, you could have used HP DP and saved the meter for the next round.
    6. When you notice that almost all of your DF Dive Kicks are being blocked, you've conditioned your opponent to block instead of AA. That's when you start using DF Throw or whiff Palm > Throw.
    7. Slow down and try to play more methodically

Zidbeans also gave you good advice in the post above mine.
    XBL: Sonic Shamanic
    Hokay...a few things in the Bison match.

1. On Bison's wakeup, you did DF Dive Kick every time - you're better off doing option selects off of DF Palm. Check the Matchup Thread for the best option selects.
    2. You jumped away from several of Bison's teleports, which were all huge opportunities to land either a sweep or a fat combo.
    3. Don't try to AA with Super. It doesn't work.
    4. Don't hit buttons when you're being pressured with either cr.LK or LK Scissors - that's asking for a counter hit.
    5. When you won Round 2 with j.HP - EX DP, you could have used HP DP and saved the meter for the next round.
    6. When you notice that almost all of your DF Dive Kicks are being blocked, you've conditioned your opponent to block instead of AA. That's when you start using DF Throw or whiff Palm > Throw.
    7. Slow down and try to play more methodically

Zidbeans also gave you good advice in the post above mine.

Waste. Of. Time.

- Vaas (Far Cry 3)
  • Moody SteveMoody Steve Joined: Posts: 120
    Perhaps, perhaps not. If someone watches the videos and learns something from the tips provided, even it's not the person who posted the videos, I'd say it wasn't a waste of time. I learned quite a bit reading critiques of other players by more knowledgeable/experienced players.
    XBL: Sonic Shamanic
    I suppose... But I have a hard time believing even the scrubiest scrub that ever scrubbed online would play as bad so as to NEED being told what you told SKG. And he's been given PLENTY of advice before, but he just ignores it. Well, at least he's not skipping the rounds where he loses anymore in his vids, so maybe he DID listen... A little... :razzy:
    - Vaas (Far Cry 3)
  • rugirugi original 09'er Joined: Posts: 1,730
    I uploaded two more videos to my channel with some thoughts about practice, check it out if you want
    http://youtu.be/-1yYdqaxWK0
    http://youtu.be/My8bcR1yn1M
    "Everybody wild monkeys until that banana clip peel." - Tsu-Surf
    "md cvs2 scene doesn't own a copy of cvs2" - 4r5
  • makistarmakistar XBL sucks when you live in Hawaii Joined: Posts: 17
    super like! i really like how you footsie in the matches.
    Great vids, Roog! But I didn't like the Cody user you played against... I've played against much better ones that constantly pressured you with normals and you had to work to get the knockdown and then keep them there. Not that I'm all that great myself, but I really enjoyed how they challenged me. This guy was just... BLAH!
    - Vaas (Far Cry 3)
  • akuma noobakuma noob Joined: Posts: 121
    Just realised I can use my phone to upload videos to youtube and the picture isn't badeither whoop, not great either though..... anyway I know my akuma sucks but hey be as critical as you want and let me know
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1bfj_nNE5g
    Also could you post on my youtube page cause I don't have any posts on it and I want soooome plzzz
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egek3vzmi0E
    First one to post on a video gets a million pounds or dollars..... whatever is more convenient
  • metallicabandmetallicaband DP & A TELEPORT ?!! Joined: Posts: 2,330
    Just realised I can use my phone to upload videos to youtube and the picture isn't badeither whoop, not great either though..... anyway I know my akuma sucks but hey be as critical as you want and let me know
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1bfj_nNE5g
    Also could you post on my youtube page cause I don't have any posts on it and I want soooome plzzz
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egek3vzmi0E
    First one to post on a video gets a million pounds or dollars..... whatever is more convenient
    I only watched those videos quickly once so can't get into details much.

Anyway:

- On hit, never do cr.mp x2 into cr.mk,. For one cr.mk will be a 1 frame link, also its hitstun is so low you won't even be able to cancel it into anything, just cancel the 2nd cr.mp into lk.tatsu, hk tatsu or ex fireball/tatsu depending on the distance and whether the opponent is standing or crouching.

- Use Tatsu > sweep vs any character that you can do that (both Chun & Vega are among that list).

- Don't get too happy with cancelled normals (i.e cr.mp or cr.mk) into demon flips, trust me if those Chun and Vega players knew the matchup, you would have been air thrown pretty much every single time you did that, the move is unsafe (specially if abused like you did) vs people who know the Akuma matchup.
    Shin Akuma V-Trigger Kreygasm, make it happen Capcom .
    Vanilla SF4 > AE 2012: Main: Akuma | Alt: Bison
  • Gen-AnGen-An 何で彼女出来ない? Joined: Posts: 616
    Chuns overhead flip kick is punished in many ways. You should be able to Fierce shoryu that on reaction,

I laughed when I read this. I can't shoryu Hazanshuu even when I'm looking for it, and just looking at a few Tokido Akuma vs Chun vids I didn't see him DP'ing it either.
    Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty
    - Don't get too happy with cancelled normals (i.e cr.mp or cr.mk) into demon flips, trust me if those Chun and Vega players knew the matchup, you would have been air thrown pretty much every single time you did that, the move is unsafe (specially if abused like you did) vs people who know the Akuma matchup.

I always tell people abuse it till you know the opponent is ready for it. You would be shocked just how much BS you can get away with.
    Under stress you will not rise to your expectations, you will fall to your level of training.
    I always tell people abuse it till you know the opponent is ready for it. You would be shocked just how much BS you can get away with.

This. If you use it well, it can catch even some really good players by surprise. Just yeah, once they catch on, you gotta stop that shit!

@ Akuma Noob: Gutsy offense dude! Those two player just couldn't handle the pressure and fell appart like wet tissuer paper. But against Chun, you should favor the DF palm over the dive kick on her wakeup. You got lucky and stuffed her EX SBK twice, but better players will delay it slightly and send you flying. Against Vega... Man that poor shmuck never even had a chance to charge back and wall dive! Loved it!!
    - Vaas (Far Cry 3)
    I laughed when I read this. I can't shoryu Hazanshuu even when I'm looking for it, and just looking at a few Tokido Akuma vs Chun vids I didn't see him DP'ing it either.

You actually can do that, but I generally prefer to focus attack it because it is easier and gives a combo into a knockdown.
  • Gen-AnGen-An 何で彼女出来ない? Joined: Posts: 616
    You actually can do that, but I generally prefer to focus attack it because it is easier and gives a combo into a knockdown.

Perhaps you can. Must be nice to have reflexes that fast. I can only anticipate focus it, never on reaction.
    Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty
    Perhaps you can. Must be nice to have reflexes that fast. I can only anticipate focus it, never on reaction.

If you know what situations Chun players like to use it in then it isn't hard to react to it. In fact it is probably one of the easier overheads to counter in the game.
  • C2QC2Q Joined: Posts: 1,167
    Hazashu happy chuns are my favorite, lvl 2 focus eats them for breakfast and several chuns just spam the shit out of that because they literally don't know what they are doing.

Sometimes though when i use evil ryu i manage to u2 on that on reaction that surprises even myself. I was like ...O_o after i actually managed to do that...
  • SkywalkinSkywalkin Shoosh! Joined: Posts: 171
    Got a cpl vids for your viewing pleasure! No tripod, so little rough but watch-able!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c9e7crCY-FY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fJqY6vRu4WY

Some light commentary cos honestly I was a lil bored just holding the cam. The opponents aren't great but hopefully i'll get some good footage when I next hook up with one of my boys. Still trying to find my feet with Akuma and I've taken to playing a more cautious akuma, sorta like a safe ryu at times. Feel free to criticise whatever really. Will try get some better opponents when I can.

Criticise away!