The Football (Soccer) Thread - Season 2017/2018

Comments

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Woot!

The US played great soccer today. Onweyu and Demerit were rocks in the back, with Spector and Bornstein looking dangerous. Donovan was a beast along with Bradley, while Clark intimidated Egypt into only attacking down the flanks. The only person that had a bad overall game was Dempsey, and he made up for it with a spectacular header for the big-money goal.

And to add icing on the cake, Giuseppi Rossi got stripped by Kaka which led to the third goal against Italy. Beautiful.
  • regulateregulate Bruv of bruvs Joined: Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Fuck this.

Holland will win the world cup!

Van Nistleroy!!!!!
    Never forget:
    Boel wrote: »
    phantom angel the kinda guy that eats a roll of dental floss so that he can slowly come to a shuddering climax as he pulls it out his ass

• chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,252
    Spain vs USA just kicked off.

If you're in work and can't watch it, the official website has a live play by play running.

http://www.fifa.com/live/competitions/confederationscup/matchday=7/day=1/match=66213/index.html
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
    USA are playing quite well.

An upset may be on here.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
    1-0 USA

Altidore with a shot from just outside the box.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
    2-0

Clint Dempsey after a bit of a goalmouth scramble.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • BacardiBacardi steal this avatar Joined: Posts: 5,392 mod
    USA with the mother of all upsets
    Twitter: @New_Challengers | Follow for the latest news on CT tournaments and events
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newchallengersct
    Bradley issued a straight red card for a slightly late tackle.

Shocking decision from the ref.

Bradley will miss the final now.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • AkumaTXAkumaTX Joined: Posts: 3,875
    what a red to the US. what a surprise
  • MonteMonte Well-Known Member (2 ur mom) Joined: Posts: 2,807
    USA! USA! USA! :woot: :woot: :woot:
  • SwmmrManShenSwmmrManShen The Left Ventricle Joined: Posts: 573
    GO USA!!! FUCK YES!!!
    btw, onyewu was a beast in the box for us today, major props to him

and USA gets bad calls, the bradley red card was pretty BS
  • ckrazyckrazy Self Banned Joined: Posts: 10,607
    Wow who would of thunk it out of nowhere we beat Spain. :rofl:
    On the third day of our expedition we came across a large rubber plant, but unfortunately we cannot cut it down. For as we know, money can't buy knives. I went into a store one time and I said, "Here's a hundred thousand dollars, can I buy a knife?" And he said, "no money can't buy knives."
    Glad to see this thread got a bit more love than the last thread I started about a USA match.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • GhibliCatGhibliCat Drearily dreaming Joined: Posts: 1,098
    This shit was nuts. omg.... Spain was going crazy against that defence. USA held strong though, good shit!!!!! FINALS baby!
  • TehBooGiEMaNTehBooGiEMaN MVP Joined: Posts: 345
    whoooooo

i don't even watch soccer
    Twitter: ChrisSchmidt559
    Glad to see this thread got a bit more love than the last thread I started about a USA match.

The truth about American soccer is the fans will come as long as they win. It like the Olympics everyone chanting USA for random ass sports that we never watch. *cough Monte cough* Just win and we will cheer. =) With that said.... USA USA USA! :lovin::lovin::lovin:
    On the third day of our expedition we came across a large rubber plant, but unfortunately we cannot cut it down. For as we know, money can't buy knives. I went into a store one time and I said, "Here's a hundred thousand dollars, can I buy a knife?" And he said, "no money can't buy knives."
  • e_mede_med DUN DUN DUN Joined: Posts: 1,354
    and after practically being eliminated in the group stages
    wow =0
    elvis says:
    idk how other fools put up with your antics
    pat says:
    I'm trying to get better at annoying people
  • A.CA.C Joined: Posts: 231
    Watching the Brazil match was embarrassing. Watching the match against Spain... brilliant. Loved it. Hopefully there's still gas in the tank for Sunday.
    and after practically being eliminated in the group stages
    wow =0

Stupid tiebreakers are awesome! :looney::looney::looney::looney::looney:
    hey now, i spent years following soccer and i never got anything from team USA in return. I even cheered for them over Mexico in their match ups and that's liable to get you shot when you're a mexican so if I want to jump on the band wagon now I will do so. I've even paid to see the Earthquakes back when they were the Clash so step off homes! :rofl:
  • SousukeSousuke Chinese Electric Batman Joined: Posts: 781
    well, that's the beauty of this sport. anything can happen. =D

usa, trolling your football world since 2009
    風林火山

"the answer lies in the heart of battle!" ~Ryu
  • the-red-cometthe-red-comet 1st come, 1st served Joined: Posts: 321
    Spain was desperate by the end, and Ramos' mistake that caused the 2nd goal sealed the deal
    ARCADE STICKS AND MORE FOR SALE!!!

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=205665
  • Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is there a vid on youtube showing just the reaction at the end of the game? I'm imagining the whole place was quiet and then you hear one guy go "huh?".

Apparently wikipedia is getting trolled hard.

Just got this from 4chan.
    http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/9506/1245875995766.png
  • huynhs87huynhs87 Joined: Posts: 179
    USA! I love international competition.
  • 1der1der Boy in the Da Corner Joined: Posts: 461
    Apparently wikipedia is getting trolled hard.

Just got this from 4chan.
    http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/9506/1245875995766.png

damn thats pretty cool

also i'll jump on the bandwagon just saturday i was saying how insignificant US soccer was in the world game. now they go and beat Spain. unthinkable
    Review the situaion, take part, take over.
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 4,042
    Watching the Brazil match was embarrassing. Watching the match against Spain... brilliant. Loved it. Hopefully there's still gas in the tank for Sunday.

My thoughts exactly.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • EveryFlowerFlowEveryFlowerFlow You Want Pain? Aegis Reflector Joined: Posts: 3,784
    Haha wow. Good shit US.
    CFN: GetReady2Die | WhensThirdStrike [Urien, Ryu, Chun, Balrog, Karin]
    I make Jazz-Hop/Lo-Fi/Soul-Hop/Hip House: http://releases.prosodij.co.uk
  • ThePurpleBunnyThePurpleBunny Joined: Posts: 17,573
    I just watched the replay. Holy shit. Who knew FIFA allowed the use of Phoenix Down?

And fuck these red cards. USA now has 3 and Egypt had 1. Only two teams to get reds. That's just stupid.
    Twitchy | Twatter
    Fightcade: FaceToFist
  • SoundbwoySoundbwoy Think! Joined: Posts: 138
    Ol' Dirty Kung Fu
  • Terry_nbTerry_nb ... Joined: Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Funny how weak Spain was especially in the first half and seems the nerves were blank once they realised what they had done till the last 20 minutes ... Whatever, it's just the Confed Cup, but maybe it helps the US to get more warm towards football. Would be great to get them more talent and press for the sport. :)

That being said, enjoy this lucky ride with overachieving. Reminds me of our german teams last european and world championship cup achievements. XD
    SFA 4 needs to be made ...
    How many of team USA were born in USA?
    How many of team USA were born in USA?

that don't even matter, dawg, cause this is america. home of the free, land of the brave. Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free.

America! America!
    God shed his grace on thee
    and crown thy good with brotherhood
    from sea to shining sea!

also shout out to the dude that chose to play on Italy's team over the US, Giuseppe Rossi. tell me how our ass tastes
  • EveryFlowerFlowEveryFlowerFlow You Want Pain? Aegis Reflector Joined: Posts: 3,784

also shout out to the dude that chose to play on Italy's team over the US, Giuseppe Rossi. tell me how our ass tastes

I was gonna post about this but I'm glad somebody else remembered :lol:
    CFN: GetReady2Die | WhensThirdStrike [Urien, Ryu, Chun, Balrog, Karin]
    I make Jazz-Hop/Lo-Fi/Soul-Hop/Hip House: http://releases.prosodij.co.uk
  • L4undryL4undry Joined: Posts: 37
    When I saw the headline at soccernet, I was flabbergasted. Spain is, bare none, the best national football team in the world. They have the best playmakers and arguably best midfield, the best strikers, a keeper that can make incredible stops, and a pretty solid defense. Compared to the US team, the only recognizable faces being Clint Dempsey and Tim Howard, and maybe Bocanegra before Fulham canned his ass. Everyone else is a scrub that couldn't cut it in European leagues that matter.

Definitely a David-Goliath match up, but the underdog prevailed due to some very slack defending. First goal, the CB let Altidore just stroll by him, but that was a pretty nice shot, lots of power. Second goal should have been a clearance, but credit to Dempsey for being in the right spot and the right time. Terrible cross by Donovan though. I didn't get to watch the match, so I can't comment on anything else. Word is that Spain dominated while my boy Fabregas was on the pitch. Then he was subbed and it slowly went downhill for Spain.

Still, good win for the US and anything that boosts soccer here is good in my book. Surprised how many people were cheering for United during the Champions' League final because it was the only team they knew. Then those people joined the Barca bandwagon. And when the US won my phone flooded with texts because I'm like the only one of my group that truly follows soccer/football.
    I was gonna post about this but I'm glad somebody else remembered :lol:

yeah fuck dat guy, no homo. when team USA calls you answer dat shiz!
    *snip*

so what you're trying to say is:
    USA! USA! USA! :woot::woot::woot:
    If Brazil beat South Africa as expected today, it'd be great to see USA beat them and really shock the footballing world.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • The Electrifying OneThe Electrifying One Coming4EVO Joined: Posts: 1,282
    haha wow well done team USA. I work on a football game here in the UK so we could watch the game screened live in our office, the research team and the spanish workers here were going crazy, we were all really shocked.

I have a Fulham season ticket so I see the US players there all the time, so I kind of have a soft spot for team USA even though I'm Mexican lol. Dempsey is a really underrated and hard working player. Used to love McBride too.
    Capcom Exec and co-producer of Streetfighter 2 in interview with Sega Saturn Magazine, 1998:
    "The Days when people really loved playing computers games has ended. This is mainly because of Sony. Sony has created a new era of light users who consider games to be just an everyday form of general entertainment- nothing special. The kind of games we used to see from Nintendo have gone. These are the games that children used to play, but now they don't."
    Capcom Exec and co-producer of Streetfighter 2 in interview with Sega Saturn Magazine, 1998:
    "The Days when people really loved playing computers games has ended. This is mainly because of Sony. Sony has created a new era of light users who consider games to be just an everyday form of general entertainment- nothing special. The kind of games we used to see from Nintendo have gone. These are the games that children used to play, but now they don't."
    McBride is a legend.

One of my favourite players.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • MRGAYMRGAY meaty atk = my cock Joined: Posts: 634
    so guys, I think South Africa is shaking up Brazil, it's nil right now.

Brazil is ontop with those crazy counterattacks (I feel like I'm playing SF...), but damn, South Africa is really surprising me.

Think SA has a chance?

Ghetto biology, rofl. http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=6507221&postcount=32

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file