[Oni + Evil Ryu] SF4 Characters as SF3 Sprites

steamboy33steamboy33 Joined: Posts: 88
Check out the Tutorial here

Hey everyone, I made some SF4 characters in the SF3 style.
The Gouken one I posted on another thread as an April Fool's joke, but I started making more so I thought I'd start a new thread, enjoy~

*update* Oni + Evil Ryu

Since a lot of people have been asking similar questions, here's a short FAQ:

What program do you use?
I use Photoshop for everything. I learned the basics from this awesome tutorial: Derek Yu's Pixel Tutorial and also zweifuss.com for SF3 sprite reference.

Can I use your sprite for__________
Please feel free to use any of these sprites for anything you want.

Please make [character]
I'm not really interested in making any characters who already appeared as an Alpha style sprite, other than alternate costumes.
efex has done a lot of em, you can check out here: link (if you are efex and you want me to remove this link, just PM me:china:)

Characters by steamboy

Rufus, Gouken, C. Viper, Seth, Abel, El Fuerte, Gen, Dan, Cammy, Chun Li, Sakura, Juri, Hakan, Oni, Evil Ryu

25iupdx.jpg 30dcviu.gif 20h7tlj.gif 33076ly.gif 2s6scau.gif 2ijt7jt.gif2uig112.gif 2wbyw41.gif s66rv9.gif 2rffs40.jpg v4yw49.gif 2585gzl.gif2eq48b8.gifqJDmS.gifenzfD.gifSIjiY.gif

Characters by others

21d4rba.pngx3afl0.gif2nc47mg.jpg3s.png 2u3wdg6.png rosso.png

Guy by ncrow
Dhalsim and S-Kill by johnnyutah001
froman by sf4FROMAN
Potemkin by Zinac
Vulcano Rosso by Prodigy_LXM

In Game

jq6n2r.jpg 66k8b8.jpg zswx9z.jpg 15wb529.jpg 2ee8u9u.jpg rtlq3s.jpg 2mq89x0.jpg 346am44.jpg 10n94at.jpg r8h7xj.jpg vfinup.jpg122kc5u.jpg rigp48.jpgLKjMc.jpg

fvwb8.jpg1zmnp0w.jpg

Comments

• SasmastaSasmasta Joined: Posts: 6,270
    Ah, I thought I seen this before.

If you're really planning on making some more, I wish you luck. These turned out fierce.
    :eek: -"They ate what from a cup!?"
  • animaXanimaX Joined: Posts: 143
    Wow! Excellent
    My hori ex2 solderless button mod guide: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=195454
  • fire.tisanefire.tisane Artisticly Inclined Joined: Posts: 354
    Very pro dude! They fit right in with the other characters. They're looking about the right size as well. Very very good job.
    The following statment is true. The previous statment is false.
  • AriaAria The Origination Joined: Posts: 3,513
    As mentioned in the older thread, you've got that SFIII sprite style downpat. The newer Rufus one is yet another example which shows it.

Can't wait for the rest.
    YOMI TACTICS TEAM/KAGURA OFFENSE FORCE
    Aria||Ephidel
  • HBRDHBRD why Joined: Posts: 2,464
    Beastly. You know someone is going to bring out a patch with all the new SF4 characters for MUGEN or something.
    Magnetomaniac: TEACH THIS GUY HOW TO PLAY CHUN AND RUFUS RESPECTIVELY
    Tarnish: OS is like the Coke Zero of strategy
    Abominablek: CvS1's menu theme was so gay I expected the Queer Eye guys to bust into my house and give me a makeover
  • LulzWorthyLulzWorthy Usurper Joined: Posts: 6
    Excellent job on the sprites.
    GGAC: Slayer
    3S: Dudley, Remy
    SSFIV: Hakan, Claw
  • AQUA-PURAAQUA-PURA @theasianloner Joined: Posts: 1,634
    Too good man... I wish you luck on doing others... I know these take a billion years to make.
    "DingDangDoom... BITCH MAKE ROOM!" - DDD
  • EsuraEsura Joined: Posts: 356
    Hey everyone, I made some SF4 characters in the SF3 style.
    The Gouken one I posted on another thread as an April Fool's joke, but I started making more so I thought I'd start a new thread, enjoy~

Characters

My favourite SF4 character Rufus!

11t1ijd.gif

Gouken

rs4itu.gif

In Game

Rufus vs. Yun

21o3st0.jpg

Gouken vs. Akuma

262tl06.jpg

more to come

Dude....this is awesome!
    You got some real skills at sprite making.

Make C.Viper next....pleeeease?
    Im subscribing to your thread.
    "Never argue with an idiot, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
  • AQUA-PURAAQUA-PURA @theasianloner Joined: Posts: 1,634
    Take off image tabs when you quote images please... =]
    "DingDangDoom... BITCH MAKE ROOM!" - DDD
  • fistoftheryustarfistoftheryustar Joined: Posts: 2,170
    gouken is beast there. i also hate you for being so good at it. the color scheme is very sf3. sf3 for some reason is still my fave in the series.

i saw a sf2 rufus before but this is another detail of work. you should try to do a standing animation for your fave fighter. thatd be cool to see
    My drawing:
    Mai cheats on Ryu - "Shin Shoryuken!"

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=7115525&postcount=252
  • Bland_WolfBland_Wolf Are You OK? Joined: Posts: 419
    this is simple E-L-I-T-E!!!
    ~dizzy my future, silly my way~
  • BigbossBigboss Still can't DP Joined: Posts: 126
    Sprite animation is no joke when it comes to the solid amount of mind numbing work it takes... Would be fun to get a complete set of the 'missing' characters from SF3 and crank up that roster though. I really like the color palette used in both of these- Gouken especially looks like he belongs.
  • QancerQancer Joined: Posts: 252
    great job. looks amazing man
    What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?
  • eltwopeeeltwopee Learn 2 Play Joined: Posts: 1,578
  • F1F1 Press for Help Joined: Posts: 177
    i saw a sf2 rufus before but this is another detail of work. you should try to do a standing animation for your fave fighter. thatd be cool to see

Hi. ;)

Still not happy with it though, I'm still making a few changes.

--

Back onto the OP,

I like them both, though, Rufus seems a bit off on the color and shading, but only when compared to Yang. His pallete bugs me the most because of the fact that he has a lot of large spots that are one color. It's hard to avoid this though, I learned that making Rufus in SF2 style.

I think the outlines seem little too boldly done on the darker areas (black on Rufus, grey tunic on Gouken), and doesn't match the original style and pops out too much giving it that cartoony look instead of a 3D-esque style. Rufus' outfit seems to depend too much on outline as well.

Facework and framework is definitely excellent though.
    Sprite animation is no joke when it comes to the solid amount of mind numbing work it takes... Would be fun to get a complete set of the 'missing' characters from SF3 and crank up that roster though. I really like the color palette used in both of these- Gouken especially looks like he belongs.

I have a whole flash drive of completely incomplete animation sheets. It takes me about a month to perfect a 2/8-bit sheet, and even longer for 16-bit (I've only ever completed one). I don't think a 32 bit sheet would be possible for me to complete within my lifetime unless I dedicate myself to it for a year or two.

<3F1
    Dungeon Fighter Online IGN: Ayefune - Lv 36 Battle Mage
    Av by savaii. You will be missed.
  • MariodoodMariodood You Cant Escape..O_o Joined: Posts: 1,458
    Oh my god these are beautiful. I would love to see Rufus doing a dive kick in the 3s engine. You should seriously send these to the Capcom blog or Ono or something.
  • BigbossBigboss Still can't DP Joined: Posts: 126
    Like I said, animation is no joke. Unless you could somehow compile a team of spriters that can swallow egos and work together to lighten the workload. My Felicia animation is taking yonks due to the higher amount of detail- so much more is noticeable in the HD. I've learned alot just from working on that.
  • bahnbahn Too easy. Joined: Posts: 1,097
    I had to pimp these creations on my website, too cool! :)
    Keep us posted with your progress!
    ""All you have to do is to decide what to do with the time given to you. "

eSports/FGC Photographer
    http://www.ptbphoto.org - Twitter: @bahnism Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/putthatback
  • coco_jcoco_j Joined: Posts: 330
    Amazing. Please do Viper! Also, maybe you should give King Cobra a go?
  • mikrosmikros Yo, Joe! Joined: Posts: 975
    Other than Gouken's left hand, excellent! Great job! (^_^)-b

I'd suggest copypasting someone's hand. With the tons of frames SF3 has there has to be one that fits well.
  • Mr ListMr List Lord of the Scrubs Joined: Posts: 1,393
    is gouken really that much larger than akuma?
    (i cant remember seeing them together in sf4)
    (also they have different dads dont they? lol shoto chav mam)

can you put up those two sprites you made in 500% please?

i want a good look at them.

they are both very good but i would have expected a seth one in the first round up since he would be a mod of urien or gill.
    Hey hey let's go kenka suru , Taisetsu no mono protect my balls! Boku ga warui so let's fighting...
    Let's fighting love!
    Let's fighting love!
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,675 admin
    Man, those are awesome!
    Do viper!
  • DA GAMEDA GAME Version 3.5 Joined: Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Those are good.Do C.Viper & Seth
    Excellent!!!

Great really greally sprite.
  • MVKMVK FlannelJack Joined: Posts: 46
    Those are really good, i saw another gouken sprite on deviant art. but yours is much better.

http://shinleejin.deviantart.com/gallery/#Street-Fighter
    Live in or near the Pioneer Valley/Western Massachusetts? Want to get some USF4, UMVC3, or 3S games in? Join us at the Noho Dojo in Downtown Northampton every other Wednesday, starting September 16th, 2015!

Follow us on Twitter @TheNohoDojo, and Like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/TheNohoDojo, for info!
  • AirbrushKingAirbrushKing AirbrushKing.net Joined: Posts: 2,028
    If only you can animate them and post up a youtube video of it. Instant MILLION hits. Load the video with google ads and make money off of the advertisement. Just a though =/ Nicee looking sprites...
    GIS-Avatar.gif
  • pootnanniespootnannies angry asshole Joined: Posts: 2,948
    these are really great! how long does each one take to do? my only critique is gouken's lower hand looks a little too small to me.
    visit the HD Sprite Thread- http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/hi-def-sprite-thread-first-post-updated-1-9.32449/

“... keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”

psn: pootnannies
    ggpo: whodat?
    CFN: JawnPolygon
  • gmbluedestinygmbluedestiny Joined: Posts: 102
    those r sick bro
  • pootnanniespootnannies angry asshole Joined: Posts: 2,948
    Ah, I thought I seen this before.

If you're really planning on making some more, I wish you luck. These turned out fierce.

you mean.... down right fierce.... ahem :coffee:
    visit the HD Sprite Thread- http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/hi-def-sprite-thread-first-post-updated-1-9.32449/

“... keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”

psn: pootnannies
    ggpo: whodat?
    CFN: JawnPolygon
  • kte03kte03 The Hundreds Joined: Posts: 1,013
    Wow.. truly amazing. I love the Rufus one, but as Mr. F1xxy said, it does stand out a bit. Must be hard. Spriting was a biotch for me while I had an interest in MUGEN (I made a Radioactive Man one from a Venom, using Sagat's head). Shading was a bitch too haha.

Also, Gouken's hand seems a bit funky, maybe find another one?

Overall, really nice, did way better than I did back at MUGEN.

By the way, if you were to make characters out of these, that'd be kickass. Even better, send those chars to someone big at CAPCOM (Seth K. , Ono) and see what they will do haha
    My avatar is really Dudley in disguise.
  • barzaad9564barzaad9564 The Naptown Tempest Joined: Posts: 1,192
    those are really good... tell me you plan on doing everybody...
    Hooli-once....HOOLIGAN!... say hello to disco for me...
    -All the chickens keep cluckin'... it's time to see some scratch-
    Those are amazing. I always wondered what C Viper would look like in 3s. Outstanding job.
  • steamboy33steamboy33 Joined: Posts: 88
    thanks everyone :)

I agree that Rufus doesnt really fit in, I think that's because 90% of the SFIII cast is muscular, which is something that defines the look of the sprites in general. That's why I think i'll do Abel next. Or Fuerte.....or Seth.. hell, they're all muscular
  • coco_jcoco_j Joined: Posts: 330
    Viper turned out amazing. Can't wait to see the rest!
  • blueNINEblueNINE Alex Smith Joined: Posts: 1,326
    Sick. I can imagine these took quite a bit of time and effort. Looks like you paid pretty close attention to detail, too. Especially awesome to see Viper in the 3S style.

How about Abel next?!
    Please let me know if you need stick mods or repairs!
  • Tuna Fish RiotTuna Fish Riot Joined: Posts: 1,025
    Those are some amazing pixels.
    i zoomed them up:

2gua54i.jpg

2ilymhd.jpg

2cfqg68.jpg

you can clearly see rufus is by far the best sprite of the 3.
    its a perfect representation.

c.viper is next and then gouken.

i think vipers foot is too long and as others have said goukens hand looks a little fliddy.

but quite frankly thisis amazing work.bravo.

are you only doing unique sf4 characters?
    i wouldnt mind seeing blanka or dhalsim done in that style.
    Hey hey let's go kenka suru , Taisetsu no mono protect my balls! Boku ga warui so let's fighting...
    Let's fighting love!
    Let's fighting love!
    @ Mr List: Nah I think i'll stick with just the unique SF4 characters. If i started with the rest of the cast, it would take forever O_O
    but that means there are only threee left :(

you should do some extra frames for these guys then. :bgrin:

how about mid ultra?
    Let's fighting love!
    Let's fighting love!
    those look really damn good. Good job, bro.
    I see how much was editing and how much was original work from scratch. Either way, I'm sure those took forever.

I haven't sprited at all for a few years myself. Might have to for a decent avatar. :p

Anyways, lookin forward to your Abel if you get around to it.
    @ BillJersey

Actually, they were all from scratch except Seth (didn't want to reinvent the wheel with him looking so close to Urien). The other ones I did while referencing from SF4 screenshots and existing SF3 sprites :)
  • kte03kte03 The Hundreds Joined: Posts: 1,013
    DUDE, that Seth looks deadly!

EDIT

I worked with Urien before, I never really liked his left calf-to-foot, the shading on his calf-to-foot seemed to really stick out, and it does the same for Seth. Either way, AMAZING JOB
    My avatar is really Dudley in disguise.
    @ BillJersey

Actually, they were all from scratch except Seth (didn't want to reinvent the wheel with him looking so close to Urien). The other ones I did while referencing from SF4 screenshots and existing SF3 sprites :)

my post was worded wrong. I actually meant to ask how much was editing/original. Not that I seen how much was. (kinda looked pompous now that read over it. :p)

But I still got my answer. I'm very impressed. Its a looong process to do. You used screenshots side by side, or did you sprite over them? Because the accuracy of the stances is the first thing I noticed.
    my post was worded wrong. I actually meant to ask how much was editing/original. Not that I seen how much was. (kinda looked pompous now that read over it. :p)

But I still got my answer. I'm very impressed. Its a looong process to do. You used screenshots side by side, or did you sprite over them? Because the accuracy of the stances is the first thing I noticed.

I sized the screenshots down, morphed them a bit (to match sf3 proportions) then painted over them :)
  • MariodoodMariodood You Cant Escape..O_o Joined: Posts: 1,458
    I sized the screenshots down, morphed them a bit (to match sf3 proportions) then painted over them :)

This is how modern day VG companies make their sprites. they make/look at a 3D model of the char and then they draw over it.

Seriously godlike stuff
  • Tuna Fish RiotTuna Fish Riot Joined: Posts: 1,025
    Wow. Just woke up to find 2 more finished sprites. Great job.
    This is how modern day VG companies make their sprites. they make/look at a 3D model of the char and then they draw over it.

Seriously godlike stuff

is it not possible to teach a computer to make/draw/create pixel sprites from a 3d model?

ps

sorry 'bout off topic.

seth is cool, but a little boring (not your fault guy).

pps
    how can people say twelve could never fit into a game with sf2 characters when that pile of malformity is sf4?

ppps

abel is nice.
    Let's fighting love!
    Let's fighting love!
  • just_primejust_prime Most Definitely. Joined: Posts: 1,648
    WHOA :pray: Bravo Steamboy. I'm jealous of your skills. :arazz:

Keep up the great work. :tup:

• F1F1 Press for Help Joined: Posts: 177
    I would have preferred to see Abel vs Alex, but still great work nonetheless.

Also why is Abel the only one on 2P side in the "sample" shots? XD

<3F1
    Dungeon Fighter Online IGN: Ayefune - Lv 36 Battle Mage
    Av by savaii. You will be missed.
    I would have preferred to see Abel vs Alex, but still great work nonetheless.

Also why is Abel the only one on 2P side in the "sample" shots? XD

<3F1

Haha i got tired of trying to coordinate the exact player positions ^^;

I chose to put him vs. Remy because they are both from France (i think?)