PowerUp Podcast: Midwest FGC and Beyond

OsirunOsirun www.powerupfighters.orgJoined: Posts: 2,062
edited March 2013 in Midwest
The PowerUp Podcast is currently on indefinite hiatus.

All episodes of the PowerUp Podcast will still be hosted on the PowerUp website.

Listen to archived episodes at the PowerUp Podcast Season Summary page.

But PowerUp is not going anywhere!

Anyone who feels they would like to voice their opinion on topics relevant to the fighting game community need only contact me here on SRK or via email: nathan"dot"shields"at"powerupfighters"dot" org. Chances are we can set up an interview.

Also, this thread will no longer be updated with PowerUp news or events. All of that information will be found on the website, and also on the PowerUp Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Stay cool, SRK : )
Post edited by Osirun on

Comments

• ActionhankActionhank ERRBODY GOT OBAMAPHONE Joined: Posts: 2,117
    :tup: I approve.
  • OsirunOsirun www.powerupfighters.org Joined: Posts: 2,062
  • otterotter CFN: otter- Joined: Posts: 4,643
    I'm looking forward to the next podacst(s)

Movin' on up!
    I'm looking forward to the next podacst(s)

Movin' on up!

Ghaleon/Fugee was a great Season's Beatings history lesson. I enjoyed that podcast a lot, but it won't be out til one month before SB4. Hopefully I'll drum up enough interest to get podcasts out weekly. The more awesome episodes I have, the easier it is to save specific ones to be released at certain times.
  • Kyle GallagherKyle Gallagher Siegfried Joined: Posts: 594
    This is a pretty neat idea, just the other day I was looking for tournaments in the Midwest and although it wasn't a huge hassle, it certainly wasn't as streamlined as it could have been.

But the "who's who" is really nice, it's easy enough to keep track of everyone you see regularly, but it is nice to look up people you don't recognize right off the bat from other cities.
    "Street fighter is a game that basically requires you to have short, controlled seizures."
  • Syxx573Syxx573 Jo Mama Joined: Posts: 8,963
    Hit me up, I am the eyes and ears of the illinois/wisconsin scene. Not so much the voice though lol
  • TarkanXTarkanX Joined: Posts: 869
    I did something like this 2 years ago, but it didn't get much support, but yours looks like it should garner a lot, especially if you have top players in the Midwest backing you. I have some things that I would like to say that I think everyone in the Midwest should hear, as long as I'm invited to the radio show, of course.

I hope this succeeds.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=137475

Here is the previous thread that I was talking about. It is somewhat old and dated, but gives a look of things that I hoped would come about.
  • VegaVega Joined: Posts: 917
    Osirun - thanks for having me already and as promised from the podcast I will be bringing friends and visiting an Arcade Legends tournament. Looking forward to meeting you this Saturday! :smile:

Tarkan - hey I will be on the lookout for you on Xbox Live so we can play HDR or SF4, whichever you play. Sadly I'm not nearly as good at SF4 but it's all good. :tup:
    7 and a switchblade.
    Steven Seagal as The Cockpuncher - "I don't think you have the balls."
    Chaos Crypt - "I'd say we sound like the primeval howl from the cursed newborn."
  • RakaeRakae Be there... Joined: Posts: 854
    Nice, The MW has some fantastic players. I am all down with this MW 4 Life.
    Vortex < Bortex
    I did something like this 2 years ago, but it didn't get much support, but yours looks like it should garner a lot, especially if you have top players in the Midwest backing you. I have some things that I would like to say that I think everyone in the Midwest should hear, as long as I'm invited to the radio show, of course.

I hope this succeeds.

Here is the previous thread that I was talking about. It is somewhat old and dated, but gives a look of things that I hoped would come about.

It'd be great to have you on the podcast. I appreciate what you tried to do those couple years back. As I read the thread I believe the only thing that hampered your progress was the idea of ranking the players. That's one area where I'm hands off. Let the tournaments and other events decide, in my opinion, and I'll try to get people to travel out to them.

I also found this post in that thread encouraging:
    P.S. Also I think that the midwest should have a website so states can keep up with what's going on in the midwest scene. Post up our own footage just from the MW on the site just to help assist growth for the scene.

More or less, that's pretty much what PowerUp is.

Anyway, I'll drop you a pm soon, or vice versa, and we can start working out a date and time for the podcast. I hope that all of my guests return for many more podcasts, so don't worry about trying to get everything covered in one sitting.

@Vega: It was great to have you! Hopefully we can podcast again in the future. It'll be awesome to meet you at AL, I'm looking forward to it.

@Rakae: Lovin' it, thanks for the support! Would you be interested in doing a podcast? The more episodes the better.
  • ailerusailerus ni hao Joined: Posts: 1,335
    I'm relatively new to the scene but i'm interested in helping out with running tournaments and generally improving the community.

I will also be recording footage at every tournament i'll be able to go to.
    "That's what happens when you don't have the master's skill...you know what I mean...your muthafuckin money get taken if you ain't comin wit it."
  • GhaleonGhaleon Maximum Cammy Joined: Posts: 3,467
    Glad to see you're getting some hits, Nathan. Doing the podcasts are a lot of fun -- I don't think you'll have a problem keeping them interesting and finding candidates ;)
    gdlkEnt - Season's Beatings Twitter:
    Season's Beatings Tournament Series - on Facebook
    Lotta active players in the midwest, that's for sure
  • barzaad9564barzaad9564 The Naptown Tempest Joined: Posts: 1,192
    great idea this is... we need something like this badly... i hate how the midwest (and every other are aside from the coasts) is left out of major happenings... but it looks as tho there is an end to that near with this little number... if you ever need filler or anything feel free to exploit me... im %100 serious about my competitive gaming, i plan on becoming as skilled as possible and going pro, and i'm attending evo in just 3 weeks.... so yea
    Hooli-once....HOOLIGAN!... say hello to disco for me...
    -All the chickens keep cluckin'... it's time to see some scratch-
    The comp is just much higher on the coasts -- Midwest only has a couple people that place highly or are a threat to win in their respective games at majors (GG is exceptionally high-level in MW though).

I think for the Midwest to grow more top players, people need to ask why that is (as Nathan asked me), and more closely examine what the coasts are doing in terms of skill instead of assuming MW is getting little credit unjustly.

From my personal experience, I can say that when I started getting OK at 3rd Strike I thought I could beat almost anyone. I went to Final Round 8 w/ Fugee + friends trying to make some waves in 3s -- I beat some really good people in casuals, got to play (and lose) to top names and got 5th in the tourney by virtue of not really having to play anybody crazy good.

At that time I just played, I didn't see the gap between myself and top players, for ex the NE crew, who were REALLY good but I was getting wins off of because my play style was really raw. Fugee, Tim and I would have arguments about skill vs. experience, things like that.

The more I got into 3s and the more I traveled I realized how bad I sucked at 3s on the overall.

IMO Becoming a top player requires

A: Drive
    B: Confidence
    C: Knowledge
    D: Experience
    E: The high-level ability to tell what makes top players successful, and knowing what they're doing that you're not.

Just my two cents on how people get to the highest level. Those points can sound like they're at odds with each other, but when you become a high-level player they actually work in tandem and reinforce each other.

And TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL

IMO Becoming a top player requires

A: Drive
    B: Confidence
    C: Knowledge
    D: Experience
    E: The high-level ability to tell what makes top players successful, and knowing what they're doing that you're not.

Just my two cents on how people get to the highest level. Those points can sound like they're at odds with each other, but when you become a high-level player they actually work in tandem and reinforce each other.

And TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL

I think you just provided an outline for another podcast Ghaleon! The detail that one could go into on those topics is immense.
    I'd be down. I have some other ideas on who you can get to talk about stuff like that too. I'll let you know
  • TarkanXTarkanX Joined: Posts: 869
    When will your next podcast be and at what time? I want to write down a list of things I want to discuss about ahead of time.

Brent: Hey, man. Sucks that you couldn't make it to MWC. Right now, I'm staying away from HDR and SF4 on live (although I'll definitely play those games), since I don't have a stick for the X360. I hate playing on pad and it has frustrated me, knowing that I could do much more... I'm just waiting for the TE stick to show up in stock. For the time being, I'll be playing ST on GGPO or 2DF.

Osirun: I can understand what you mean by rankings, again, these were ideas that I had that I thought would encourage competition and getting better, but this doesn't seem like a popular idea, so I don't talk about it much anymore.
    When will your next podcast be and at what time? I want to write down a list of things I want to discuss about ahead of time.

I release the podcasts every two weeks, and the next release is tomorrow. I usually upload and get everything onto the site around 10am. I record whenever I have free time. It just depends on when my schedule and the guest's mesh together.

I make up a general outline for the conversation, but I'm always open to ideas and topics from the guests.
    Nathan and I did another podcast, with NKI. It should turn out pretty awesome. He gave out some great advice on what makes a top player + high-level fighting games, and also some great ST-specific tactics.

Nathan, did you still plan on posting the Season's Beatings podcast a week or two after Evo? Is the one with Brent (Vega) the next one slated to go up? That one was a lot of fun too.

Also, even if you don't play Smash, the SSBB podcast Nathan did with the Cincy Brawl cool is pretty sweet. Informative and gives you a good view of what's going on in that other fighting scene ;)

Yeah, I don't think we need rankings since the Midwest is too large to do any kind of ranbat/ladder thing. Tournament placing + word of mouth are really all the rankings we need, esp when overall it's the top players nationally we should all measure ourselves against, most of whom are not from our respective regions.
  • GrogGrog discombobulatingly Joined: Posts: 3,617
    It'd be great to hear what the SF4 Midwest team's thoughts are before Evo seeing as how most of them have never been on the big screen at Vegas. Or a post Evo interview would be good too.
    no one cares syxx

www.dontblowthis.com
    Nathan btw, I would take out some of the non-MW states in your tourney listings. That's a looong list man and I don't think you need EC (NY, VA, etc.) represented on there. Plus less work for you, since that must take a long time to keep that updated for all the communities

btw if you wanted to start collecting the player profiles, I can write one up. Maybe you haven't gotten many from say the Dayton crew because people aren't sure of the format? Cos I really like the idea of having that database for the MW.
    damn, when i did my pod cast, it was about how to survive in the wild by identifying different types of fruits, nuts, and fungus
    Spores, molds & fungus > fruit
  • MarkudeaMarkudea "D" Supporter Joined: Posts: 538
    The coasts: hyped up, talented, ready to kick some ass.
    The Midwest: hyped up, talented, ready to kick some ass.

We're not so different from the coasts. Aside from easy access to an ocean, what have they got that we don't? What are we missing that keeps the Midwest from attaining the same level of recognition?

I thought about this for some time, and finally decided that in order for the Midwest to acquire more prestige we need a voice. We need an outlet for letting the world know about our talent. Something to rally us, make us want to improve, travel, and get that recognition. Thus PowerUp was born.

The main purpose of PowerUp is to provide a look at the Midwest player base and tournament scene. Expose the hidden talent and work to get our best players known to the entire country. Help build up our major events until they're bursting at the seams with talented players.

At www.powerupfighters.com I've provided an exhaustive list of fighting game tournaments which are listed on numerous forums. All of this information is packaged up neatly for you to browse at your leisure, letting you find the nearest tournament quickly and easily.

The Midwest Roundup is currently in development. It will be an encyclopedia of players who live in the Midwest. Written biographies accompanied by a photo (optional), forum handles, and a bit about that person's play style and involvement in the scene.

All this is just icing on the cake that is the PowerUp Podcast. The podcast is where the chance to really get to know the players both big and small in the Midwest really comes alive. Everything from in depth strategy to travel tales, the PowerUp Podcast plants the Midwest scene firmly in your brain.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll freely admit that the first few episodes aren't that great, so you don't need to bother listening to them. Think of them as trial runs; practice for something bigger and better. I've refined the process as I've learned from my mistakes. Now I believe PowerUp is ready to be unleashed upon the Midwest.

My most well known guests so far have been Immortalbmw (aka Vega) of ST/HDR fame, and Ghaleon and Fugee, the excellent organizers behind Season's Beatings in Columbus, Ohio. I'm always looking for even more great guests. Even if you're not well known, give me a shout. The stories of an up-and-comer who's serious about the competition can be just as entertaining and inspiring as the legends of players who are already regionally/nationally known.

I'm in this for the long haul, and I want the Midwest scene to grow more robust every year. PowerUp supports most every popular fighting game and its respective player base. Show your support and enthusiasm for the players and events in the Midwest!

Once you visit the site, if you have any suggestions please post them here.
    That's a great idea. You definitely have my approval :china:.
    1 of a kind...
    XBL: Markudea
    Spores, molds & fungus > fruit

Sup Egon.
    no one cares syxx

www.dontblowthis.com
  • Kyle GallagherKyle Gallagher Siegfried Joined: Posts: 594
    http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=376698840&blogId=453536878
    There are a bunch of interviews done for players in the Cincinnati/Dayton area done by Phil(Dr4go on SRK) and put on his Cincy Tekken myspace page. If you send him a PM I'm sure he'd let you use some of them for your website if you credit him for them or something.
    "Street fighter is a game that basically requires you to have short, controlled seizures."
  • burnyourbraburnyourbra :) :) :) :) Joined: Posts: 154
    good stuff:china:
    Oh . . . hi =]
  • Arkayne17Arkayne17 Stop it meg. Joined: Posts: 2,857
    Who the best? the midwest!
    @ArtofArkayne
    Character Designer / Concepter Artist / Illustrator
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    This is exactly what we need! Do you have any plans for tournament coverage? I'd love to help if I'm at a tourney. It will give me something to do when I go two and out.
  • AuhsojSivartAuhsojSivart mmmmm bison Joined: Posts: 989
    I just sent my email with info for the Midwest Roundup.

I'm really liking the idea behind the site.

Maybe it would be cool to add a couple of youtube vids at the bottom of each player's page showing off some of their matches.
    Blah Blah Blah I am an insightful person. Here is my post.
    This is exactly what we need! Do you have any plans for tournament coverage? I'd love to help if I'm at a tourney. It will give me something to do when I go two and out.

I've actually been given the idea by a friend to go to a slew of Midwest tournies and put together a documentary. We'll see where the idea goes, but I'm hopeful!

Your assistance would be appreciated, and first it's a matter of determining the format of the documentary.

Maybe it would be cool to add a couple of youtube vids at the bottom of each player's page showing off some of their matches.

That's something that I've always offered to the players, as long as they provide me with the links to their YouTube videos I'd love to embed them in their biography pages. Or, using my biography page for example, simply provide a text link to their YouTube channel.
    I request a sticky.

---

Osirun, I think that the Midwest Roundup should just be one long list. People can Ctrl+F if they want to find someone. It's a little clunky now, especially with only 3 or 4 names under each section.
  • fLoEfLoE Floke Joined: Posts: 743

I hope this succeeds.

haha i like how that thread degenerated into "whos the best at 3s" and then died off

this site seems like its more focussed on smash then anything else? maybe im just missing the point but it seems like there are good intentions here

stickied for now
  • TacticsTactics Joined: Posts: 1,871
    This is a cool idea, glad it got stickied or id never see it lol. Woah since when is smash brothers a fighting game lol. Too many smash players on it....and they smell.
  • otterotter CFN: otter- Joined: Posts: 4,643
    Can we please not have the smash talk in this thread?

I'm sure there is one or two "smash sucks" threads in FGD if you really need to talk about it.
  • fLoEfLoE Floke Joined: Posts: 743
    ya try and not destroy this thread like the way of the last one lol
    Before you decide to read or not to read my huge wall of text below, please take a look at the OP, which has a little update at the bottom showing some upcoming podcasts!
    Nathan, did you still plan on posting the Season's Beatings podcast a week or two after Evo? Is the one with Brent (Vega) the next one slated to go up? That one was a lot of fun too.

Yep, you and Brent are going up this Friday, the 10th. The SB podcast is currently being saved for Sept. 18th, approximately a month from SB. That still cool?
    Nathan btw, I would take out some of the non-MW states in your tourney listings. That's a looong list man and I don't think you need EC (NY, VA, etc.) represented on there. Plus less work for you, since that must take a long time to keep that updated for all the communities

btw if you wanted to start collecting the player profiles, I can write one up. Maybe you haven't gotten many from say the Dayton crew because people aren't sure of the format? Cos I really like the idea of having that database for the MW.

Point taken about the Tourney Listing. It would be a lot less work, and the focus should be on the Midwest. At the time I wanted to get stuff close to Ohio, but as the content of the site has grown into the original scope I intended, I think you're right that taking out those other states would be beneficial.

Yes! Please write one up, that'd be excellent! You can find the questionnaire right here

All the instructions about the picture, match vids, etcetera are right there.
    Osirun, I think that the Midwest Roundup should just be one long list. People can Ctrl+F if they want to find someone. It's a little clunky now, especially with only 3 or 4 names under each section.

I was thinking of the future when I split up the lists, when name upon name would grace the Roundup. But point taken. I think I'd have to put a little Ctrl+F disclaimer at the top of the page so people don't complain about just having a long list.

Having one long list would also be A LOT easier to maintain. I could also very easily group players by state, just like on the Tournament Listing page.

I'd probably just have the whole thing organized by Nickname/Handle, and leave the real names to the actual bio pages. Most people know each other by nickname anyway, so it'd work out in most instances.

A most excellent suggestion, and I'll have to get that done soon.
    haha i like how that thread degenerated into "whos the best at 3s" and then died off

this site seems like its more focussed on smash then anything else? maybe im just missing the point but it seems like there are good intentions here

stickied for now

The Midwest Roundup has mostly Smash players right now because they were the first group of people I got to fill out the questionnaire. As stated on the About page of the site, I'm for all fighting games as long as they have a lively, thriving competitive community. I'm attending the SFIV, 3S ranbat and BB after-tourney this Saturday at Arcade Legends, and I'll be trying to get as many players as possible to fill out the questionnaire, so expect many more biographies that aren't Smash oriented.

Many of the podcasts have been focused on Capcom games, and I recently recorded one with Syxx talking about Tekken. Only two podcasts have been done on Smash, so it's all in pretty good balance for now.

Btw, thank you so much for the sticky!
    This is a cool idea, glad it got stickied or id never see it lol. Woah since when is smash brothers a fighting game lol. Too many smash players on it....and they smell.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm also glad it got stickied.

Now now, no Smash bashing here please.

Many more Capcom-only and other players will be added once this weekend rolls around for the SFIV / 3S ranbats. In the meantime, would you like to be in the Roundup? The questionnaire is right there on the site and I'd appreciate you taking part.

And I'd say it's about 50/50 with Smash player smell, at least for the ones I've met. Some have a little tang about them, but others are fairly fresh.
  • TacticsTactics Joined: Posts: 1,871
    Haha love the reply man, yeah im going to take part soon as I can.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Osirun, we can talk more in PM if you'd like, but if you do need help in putting together a documentary of sorts, I just graduted from college with a film and media production degree and I know my way around audio and video recording equipment as well as editing. Just throwing that out there.
    Osirun, are we still going to do that podcast sometime in August?
    Someone last year approached Fugee and I about doing a doc and filming stuff at SB, which he bailed on basically. If you're interested in covering this year's, let me know and we can talk about it more.
    Osirun, are we still going to do that podcast sometime in August?

I've sent you an email with some details. Should be a good podcast!
    Someone last year approached Fugee and I about doing a doc and filming stuff at SB, which he bailed on basically. If you're interested in covering this year's, let me know and we can talk about it more.

That would be great. Anchor (Amanda) also had the idea to do a Midwest documentary, where footage would come from various tournaments and states.

There could be an SB only documentary, and with permission some of the footage could be used in a project covering as much of the Midwest as possible. We'll definitely have to talk about this more.
    I've sent you an email with some details. Should be a good podcast!

That would be great. Anchor (Amanda) also had the idea to do a Midwest documentary, where footage would come from various tournaments and states.

There could be an SB only documentary, and with permission some of the footage could be used in a project covering as much of the Midwest as possible. We'll definitely have to talk about this more.

Are you going to be doing much with Evo or at Evo?
    no one cares syxx

www.dontblowthis.com
    Are you going to be doing much with Evo or at Evo?

I can't go to EVO this year, but I'm planning on next year. I'll have to find something productive to do there for the Midwest. Not sure what right now, but I've got a year to think about it!
    bout time this got stickied, good looking out
  • AnchorAnchor Queen of Kirby Joined: Posts: 465
    The firestorm has started.

I'm glad you're taking my idea seriously! you know I'm with you all the way. :) We'll be road warriors together.

Lee knows what I want for our anniversary. Hopefully I'll get a sweet Camera and we can record together.
    Don't backtalk me or you'll get DQed
  • barzaad9564barzaad9564 The Naptown Tempest Joined: Posts: 1,192
    I can't go to EVO this year, but I'm planning on next year. I'll have to find something productive to do there for the Midwest. Not sure what right now, but I've got a year to think about it!

me and my brother are Midwest players going to EVO this year... not much we can do on behalf of the Midwest region... but we'll do our best... and if there is anything we can do go ahead and let em know

i definitely plan on throwing up the MW handsign in any picture that's taken... and for the benifit of everyone else from our region i'm now going to teach it to all of you so you can do it too (and i expect it to happen!!)

step1 - raise both hands to eye level (or where ever you plan on executing the sign)

step 2 - with your right hand hold up a 3 count holding down your pinky with your thumb

step 3 - turn your right hand upside down and bend your wrist

step 4 - hold down the index finger on your left hand with your thumb and extend the remaining 3 fingers

step 5 - rotate your entire left hand a few degrees to the left

step 6 - even up your hands and cock your attitude cause you're done :cool:

... i made this handsign up for the benifit of the MW... and out of boredom... enjoy
    Hooli-once....HOOLIGAN!... say hello to disco for me...
    -All the chickens keep cluckin'... it's time to see some scratch-
    Osirun, we can talk more in PM if you'd like, but if you do need help in putting together a documentary of sorts, I just graduted from college with a film and media production degree and I know my way around audio and video recording equipment as well as editing. Just throwing that out there.

I'll definitely keep you in mind when I figure out what video projects PowerUp will be handling. Thanks for putting yourself out there!
    step1 - raise both hands to eye level (or where ever you plan on executing the sign)

step 2 - with your right hand hold up a 3 count holding down your pinky with your thumb

step 3 - turn your right hand upside down and bend your wrist

step 4 - hold down the index finger on your left hand with your thumb and extend the remaining 3 fingers

step 5 - rotate your entire left hand a few degrees to the left

step 6 - even up your hands and cock your attitude cause you're done :cool:

... i made this handsign up for the benifit of the MW... and out of boredom...

So sweet.

Make sure you throw this up on your Midwest Roundup page. Right now Nap-Town has no representation on the Roundup, so you should be the first!