PowerUp Podcast: Midwest FGC and Beyond

Comments

• OsirunOsirun www.powerupfighters.org Joined: Posts: 2,062
  • CrimsonCrimson Joined: Posts: 1,029
    Listened to a little bit of the Kiu one while at work. Will listen to the rest when I head home.
    Thank you Crimson! I hope you have enjoyed it so far.

Look forward to next week's episode! I'll be attempting to maintain a regular weekly release schedule as long as guests can be found : )
    Good shit. I enjoyed the rest of it. I'm glad the midwest has this podcast. It really helps the casual players know that the midwest actually has players. Kiu actually made me a TE Stick artwork display. I paid, but forgot to order with it. I will hopefully remember soon.
    PowerUp Podcast Episode #68 is here!

Dizzy, Slips and 16-bit join me to discuss their love for Mortal Kombat 9. The game is both loved and hated, celebrated and damned, and that’s only in the first half of the podcast. These three players represent a new, growing wave of Mortal Kombat culture here in the Midwest. This culture is not summarized in only these three, but by all MK players. It was great to have some of the top Midwest players on to talk with me about the game, the culture, and what they want in the future.
    I just wish people cared to play it. We all own it, online was laggy when I did play it, and nobody in Nebraska takes it seriously. I will give it a listen though.
  • sgt_toastysgt_toasty Joined: Posts: 148
    I really enjoyed this weeks podcast. Was nice hearing about things other than capcom games and TFA.
    Thanks sgt_toasty! I had a vacation this past weekend so no recording took place, but look forward to a new episode in the coming week : )
  • sgt_toastysgt_toasty Joined: Posts: 148
    :)
    PowerUp Podcast Episode #69 is here!

Dream Cancel has come quite a ways from its inception a little more than one year ago. Administrator nilcam and global moderator Desmond Delaghetto come onto the podcast to discuss with me the trials and tribulations they have gone through as Dream Cancel has worked through its initial growing pains.
    PowerUp Podcast Episode #70 is here!

The Wichita, Kansas fighting game scene is being pulled out of its slump by the dedicated administrators of the WFGA. While only two out of the three admins could be on the podcast they still provided excellent insights into community building at the local level. Jorge (theanimefan101) and Manny (Megamanny) talk about the hurdles they and fellow admin Stephen (Affinity) have overcome and the challenges that still face the Wichita scene.
  • humbaghumbag Team IFD Joined: Posts: 7,403
    guess this is an ok place to say this

but I am streaming online lobbies for ssf4/mvc3 and even tournaments now at

www.twitchtv.com/humbag

im still in the infant stages of streaming but trying to improve and need your guys inputs

My XBL GT is Humbag and if I am online ill be streaming usually!
    Good luck, humbag! More content creation in the Midwest is excellent.
  • RoTeNdORoTeNdO The 'Hardcore Gamer' Joined: Posts: 4,516
    Sup Midwest! The Southwest would like to invite you all to our regional tournament held in Central Texas. It may sound kind of far, but I'm sure there are some hungry, interested players in the Midwest who would like to take on Texas best and our neighboring states of course.

I know it may be a little short notice, but better late than never and I just thought to myself, "Hey, why don't I ask another region if they are interested".

Anyway, please at least check out the link. http://tinyurl.com/ktb-ctb

- Rotendo
    ===The few, the proud, the Marines!===
    *EVO Judge 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
    Central Texas Brawl Tournament Director
    PowerUp Podcast Episode #71 is here!

TFA SynKyller is on the show to discuss with me the ultimate direction of The Fighter’s Alliance and what has been going on for the past several months. SynKyller is a man who has worked hard to properly manage his team and get them sponsorships that he feels will make them a recognizable force in the greater FGC. Well his persistence has paid off and in a complete surprise announcement I learn who TFA’s major sponsor is.
    PowerUp Podcast Episode #72 is here!

Frosty Faustings is an event series that I learned about via word of mouth mere months after I got involved with the FGC, but even then it had a special kind of significance as a bastion of Guilty Gear passion. In fact, Frosty Faustings has been a strong supporter of games both large and small in the FGC. Elven Shadow is a well-known Guilty Gear player who moved to Japan but still maintains connections with the Chicago, Illinois community. Every winter since his departure he has returned to the U.S. to run Frosty Faustings with the help of many local players. That kind of dedication is what makes Frosty Faustings a very special event in the Midwest.
  • KobayashiKobayashi Audio Enthusiast, DJMAX Addict Joined: Posts: 1,014
    Awesome! Downloading now. Thanks for the exposure, Nathan!
    Chicago Top 30 Burger Quest - 23/30 complete
    PowerUp Podcast Episode #72 is here!

Frosty Faustings is an event series that I learned about via word of mouth mere months after I got involved with the FGC, but even then it had a special kind of significance as a bastion of Guilty Gear passion. In fact, Frosty Faustings has been a strong supporter of games both large and small in the FGC. Elven Shadow is a well-known Guilty Gear player who moved to Japan but still maintains connections with the Chicago, Illinois community. Every winter since his departure he has returned to the U.S. to run Frosty Faustings with the help of many local players. That kind of dedication is what makes Frosty Faustings a very special event in the Midwest.
    Like Grog would say, "Why isn't there any good games?" referring to HDR or ST
    @Kobayashi: It's what I do : ) Also I've heard one too many pops in the podcast now, so I'm investing in a nice pop filter. Gotta step my game up! lol

@Crimson: Lol true, true. ST revival needs to hit the Midwest more! Note sure if anyone here has seen the UD-CPS2 thread, but it's a cool project that may lead to games like ST and VS being at more major events, even if they can only be side games.
    PowerUp Podcast Episode #73 is here!

Twintail Fox (Marc Larson) is back after another year of growth and change for the Northern Michigan fighting game community. Last time Marc was on the show he spoke to me about Northern Fights 2011, and I am glad to say that this year he is talking with me about Northern Fights 2012. From what I see I believe Marc is making the right moves to improve not only his tournament series but the Northern Michigan scene as a whole. This is another great example of what good someone can do when they answer the call to establish a local community.
    PowerUp Podcast Episode #74 is here!

TFA is back! Well, sort of. It just so happens that not only is AaronS a member of The Fighter’s Alliance but also a prominent member of the Michigan community itself. I wanted to get an update about the Michigan Ranbat series and Michigan Masters tournament series and knew that AaronS would be the man to give me the inside scoop.
  • MitMit Joined: Posts: 343
    Hey, just popping in to say that I'm Aaron Rickle (my tag now is actually addMitt, heh). I've been holding the Michigan streams at http://www.twitch.tv/addmitt

Just streamed our ranbats a couple of days ago and it went pretty well :) TFA|RZR WeaponsLeft took the win in AE over BananaKen and Alucard, it was pretty hype.

I'm also on Twitter, tweeting whenever I put up new streams or any Michigan news in general, @addMitt
    @Aaron: Nice to see you posting in here after the Michigan podcast with AaronS! Keep on going strong.
    SOPA and PIPA – Stay Informed and Make a Choice
    The worldwide internet strike against SOPA and PIPA has come to a close, but it is important not to let the cause of striking down this legislation fade away. PowerUp did not participate in the Internet blackout of January 18th, but more for lack of time invested than lack of interest. Now I have the time to modify the website and in doing so I have rerouted the main banner image link to Google’s information page about the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) bills that are currently under debate in the U.S. Congress.

Obviously myself, Nathan Shields, and the website that I run, PowerUp, are opposed to SOPA and PIPA. However, I will never be bold enough to tell others what to do without first making sure they are informed about a situation or policy. So my message is not to take a stand, not immediately. My message to everyone is to become informed, and then make a choice about the best course of action to take.

For information about the January 18th Internet blackout, please go to: http://sopastrike.com/

It was a very impressive endeavor that should not be forgotten.
  • just_hadokenjust_hadoken Wake up, wake up, wake up, RNDM ultra come up! Joined: Posts: 11
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pwn-thugs-n-harmony ... Looking for local midwest players repost the link were streaming on xbox live feb4th 6 to 9 repost the link come and chat or play
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pwn-thugs-n-harmony ... Looking for local midwest players repost the link were streaming on xbox live feb4th 6 to 9 repost the link come and chat or play
    Don't use ustream. Use Justin/Twitch.tv, more people will watch and interact.
  • barzaad9564barzaad9564 The Naptown Tempest Joined: Posts: 1,192
    for the MW to see... NapTown Clutch 2 is on the 25th and 26th of this month... i've done a piss-poor job of spamming the threads but... BAM! : http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/feb-25-2012-naptown-clutch-ii-broken-threshold-indianapolis-indiana.149984/

we've got, food and sponsors, sweet tournament prizes, and a STREEEEEEAM! (i have to sing it everytime i say it)... come and compete if you can make, and be on the lookout for the PowerUp podcast on the subject
    Hooli-once....HOOLIGAN!... say hello to disco for me...
    -All the chickens keep cluckin'... it's time to see some scratch-
    So, Barzaad, what’s up in Indianapolis these days? Oh, a fighting game tournament you say. How interesting!

PowerUp Podcast Episode #75 is here!

G / Barzaad / Call him what you want is back on the PowerUp Podcast to talk with me about Naptown Clutch II: Broken Threshold coming to the hopefully still intact city of Indianapolis (post SuperBowl) this February 25-26. NTC2 will be hosted at the Tilt Arcade Studios and is the Indy community’s first two-day event. Even Tilt Assistant Manager Mike Valenti is in on the podcast to talk with me about why the event is going to be awesome.
    • Get to know Mike and Tilt Studios!
    • MK9 Tag Event?!
    • Learn all about NTC2
    • SSFIV Sudden Death
    • Debut of the Arcade Legacy traveling stream service
    • Learn about the Indianapolis scene
    Naptown Clutch II on SRK
    Tilt / Tilt Indy on Facebook
    The Arsenal
    Modjunkiez
    DownTown Comics / DownTown Comics on FB
    Independent Video Game Developers Association – Indy Chapter

- - - - - - - - - -
    Will listen later. Also Osirun, I will talk to you later man.
  • BlackBeltStatusBlackBeltStatus Joined: Posts: 83
    expme2resize.png
    When: March 10th

Where: MegaPlay Family Entertainment Center

Venue fee: $10, all spectators AND players. Wristbands will be issued. No wristband, no entry.
    Schedule:

11 am - Signups start for all games, casuals

1 pm - Signups end. Soul Caliber 5 tourney starts on PS3's. Street Fighter x Tekken singles start on 360's, cut to top 8.

When stations free up - King of Fighters starts on PS3's. Street Fighter IV starts on 360's, cut to top 8.

When stations free up - Tekken 6 starts on PS3's. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 starts on 360's, cut to top 8.

As soon as PS3 tourneys are done and all cuts to top 4/8 are made - SF x T top 8 starts, followed by Street Fighter 4 top 8 and finally UMvC top 8.

After finals - SFxT doubles tourney. 5v5 challange matches follow.

Games and Rules: All tourneys are double elimination

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3:

-Entry: $15

-Best of 3, finals are best of 5

-Winner is character, assist and order locked, loser can change, must change order in character select

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition 2012

-Entry: $15

-Arcade style, winner is character locked, loser can change, both players can change Ultras

Street Fighter x Tekken Singles:

-Entry: $10

-Winner is character and order locked, loser can change

-Gem rules will be announced on the date of the tourney

Soul Calibur V:

-Winner is character locked, loser can change

King of Fighters 13:

-Winner is character and order locked, loser can change

Tekken 6:

-Winner is character locked, loser can change

The venue will provide standard controllers for the consols. Fight sticks and custom pads are the responsibility of the participants. Turbos are not allowed and wireless controllers are banned for the sake of the complications they cause when pairing with systems.

NO SWEARING. We know that when things get hype, words can slip out. MegaPlay is a kid friendly enviroment and we need to respect it as such. Keep it under control as much as possible.

Outside food will NOT be allowed in the venue. This is going to be strictly enforced by MegaPlay. They have their own concessions with a large menu. Please respect and support their choice to allow us to use their venue and buy their food.

Stream will be provided by Zexerous and Nova. All games being played on 360 will have a dedicated stream station. Please RSVP on the Facebook Event too so i will have numbers to work with THANKS! pay out is determined by participants top 3 is guaranteed http://www.facebook.com/events/354541534565147/
  • BlackBeltStatusBlackBeltStatus Joined: Posts: 83
    Hey guys sorry for the long post earlier, but i did forget to mention that there is a $100 POT bonus 1st place for AE2012, UMVC3, and SFXT! Stream will be provided by Zexerous and Nova. All games being played on 360 will have a dedicated stream station. Please RSVP on the Facebook Event too so i will have numbers to work with THANKS! pay out is determined by participants top 3 is guaranteed http://www.facebook.com/events/354541534565147/
  • AnchorAnchor Queen of Kirby Joined: Posts: 465
    Power up avatar pack please?
    Don't backtalk me or you'll get DQed
    @Anchor: I just don't have time to make one this year XD

Also,

Ladies and gentlemen, PowerUp 2012 is right around the corner. If you plan on attending please hop on the PU2012 group rate at the Hampton Inn as soon as possible, because in only 3 weeks the group rate will no longer be available! The rate will expire on March 21st, so please don't get stuck without a good rate on your hotel room for the weekend.
  • Z.A.PZ.A.P I Rekka Yo Face !!! Joined: Posts: 335
    Yo Osirun. NTC Replays are up including your MK $ match! Check em out....Links in my sig.

"It is a principle of the art of war that one should simply lay down his life and strike." -Hagakure-
    YouTube: "The NapTown Fighting Game Network"
    It’s never a bad thing to spread the Mortal Kombat love, and that is exactly what will happen over PowerUp 2012 weekend. Flawless Victory, out of Fairfax, Virginia, is coming April 14th.
    PowerUp Podcast Episode #76 is here!

Wait, isn’t PU2012 the same weekend? Well yes it is, but no worries because although the timing is unfortunate both events will be working together to manage MK viewership. Enjoy this podcast dedicated to the Mid-Atlantic Kombat group and what they have been doing to grow and improve their community.
    • Get to know Nordic Ninja
    • The history of Mid-Atlantic Kombat, Virginia Tekken Rage
    • What makes a good tournament?
    • Growing the community
    • Flawless Victory
    Mid-Atlantic Kombat

Flawless Victory on TYM

MAK YouTube Channel

MAK Facebook Page

Virginia Tekken Rage

WeHitButtons
    The FGC needs a consistent ruleset for Street Fighter x Tekken. CEO Alex Jebailey has taken the initiative to ask the community directly with a poll on the CEO website. Check it out and let your opinion be known!
  • MasterWholigansMasterWholigans Hundred Hand Slap Joined: Posts: 10
    I think it's still too early to tell how important Gems are in the whole scheme of things, so I see no problem with either keeping the default gems or not using them at all (which also eliminates all posssibilites of Auto-Block/Auto-Tech/Easy Input abuse). Hopefully the Tournament Patch offers a quick, working alternative that brings Gem Technology into the spotlight.
  • JarekovJarekov Thou Art A Bear Joined: Posts: 1,995
    Gems aren't too bad as far as I can tell. Ive been trying to break the game with them since launch and haven't found anything too abusable yet. Autoblock on grapplers is apparently good according to ultradavid but I personally hate it.

There was some talk about easy input gems making grapplers better but I tried that out a good bit and it does make grapplers better if you suck ass at doing SPD motions, otherwise its a fraction of a second difference in inputs.

Does anyone go to the game pazzo events in woodridge IL? I think they're on fridays, I want to go but kinda weirded out about going they're not knowing anyone ( i know ).
    @Jarekov: As long as the events are being held in a public location then that is going to be your best chance to meet community members. Everyone had to get to know each other there starting from the ground up; all you have to do is not be afraid to say "Good Games" and "I Got Next" : )