BLAZBLUE: Q&A For newcomers (PLEASE POST/CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A THREAD!!!)

BlueFlamingoBlueFlamingo Bitter with ageJoined: Posts: 1,916 mod
Hey guys, with the new influx of players there will be a lot of excitement and questions about Blazblue. In an effort to keep things consolidated, orderly, and organized I'd like to keep this section available for any sort of general questions that you won't be able to find in the other threads.

Please remember to read the stickies they are quite helpful, also please remain respectful and tolerant of new members. There was a time when you didn't know what you were talking about either!
shut up TGS

Comments

• BlueFlamingoBlueFlamingo Bitter with age Joined: Posts: 1,916 mod
    First question was asked Originally by Amazing Sandwich.

" Regarding Button Setup?
    I have played GG but not Blazblue before and am wondering what the best control setup is for my SE fightstick. I modded it so that it is a standard 6-button street fighter setup, but where should i place the ABCD buttons respectively?

ABC
    Dxx

or this?

BCD
    Axx

(where x represents one of two unused buttons)

-this best? three attack buttons on top row and juggle on the bottom left button?

Any suggestions appreciated,
    cheers"
    shut up TGS
  • AGentlerHatredAGentlerHatred Joined: Posts: 107
    It's a combination of character choice and personal preference. Most people (myself included) prefer the first way though. Drive != Juggle, btw. It's character-specific gimmicks (puppet for Carl, staff projectiles for Litchi, etc.)
    I would play a Miami Vice doujin fighter, though.
    Oh sweet lord, you bet your ass I would.
    I want to see chibi Edward James Olmos with a huge plasma sword rushing dudes down.
    - Ghostal
  • ShardZShardZ Still Melting Blood. Joined: Posts: 938
    Both control layouts are selectable in arcade, so either one is 100% valid. The first one will feel more natural for anyone that's played stuff like TvC, melty blood, arcana heart, etc. whereas the second is more like GG and other Arcsys games.
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 11,090
    well i personally prefer the second one "B". i can use my 3 fingers for normals and my thumb for drive.

first one seems weird to me cause i'll either have to use my thumb for weak attack, or my pinky for drive depending on how i let my hands rest on the configuration.

they did a poll on dustloop and i think it was 2/3rds in favor of B layout iirc.

-dime
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Get on my level Joined: Posts: 1,684
    any "official" word on how balanced it is? any tier lists laying around?
    here's the latest character match up chart. Should answer your question :wgrin:

Courtesy of our friends at versuscity.net -
    shut up TGS
  • AGentlerHatredAGentlerHatred Joined: Posts: 107
    Top 3 (Nu, Arakune, and Rachel) have a significant advantage, but they're not unbeatable. There haven't been any official tier lists that I know of, but there's a matchup chart here: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5920

Keep in mind that it's just based on player opinions though.

You can also check the list of SBO qualifiers to see how many players have won a qualifying tournament with each character.

Edit: Ha, beaten to the matchup chart. The one he posted is slightly different, but it's based on the opinions of many of the same players, so emphasis on the "slightly".
    I would play a Miami Vice doujin fighter, though.
    Oh sweet lord, you bet your ass I would.
    I want to see chibi Edward James Olmos with a huge plasma sword rushing dudes down.
    - Ghostal
    I didn't want to keep linking to dustloop, so I just got the file straight up from the guys :)
    shut up TGS
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Get on my level Joined: Posts: 1,684
    Thanks. :)
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,926 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm checking out the official BlazBlue English site, and there's a notation in the characters' movelists that I don't understand. Beside each move, there's a "SP1," "SP2," etc...what is that?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • SugaFreeSugaFree NAW SON Joined: Posts: 1,348
    Question: What exactly is 236? I been reading around the forums and I keep seeing 236+A, 236+B etc.

Excuse the noobieness :sweat:

Question: What exactly is 236? I been reading around the forums and I keep seeing 236+A, 236+B etc.

Excuse the noobieness :sweat:

The joystick layout is like this

Remember 5 is in the middle and you should be alright. So for examble a hadouken would be 2,3,6+A
    shut up TGS
  • SugaFreeSugaFree NAW SON Joined: Posts: 1,348
    The joystick layout is like this

Remember 5 is in the middle and you should be alright. So for examble a hadouken would be 2,3,6+A

Wow, so its just QCF in number form. And here I thought I was going to be lost with all this talk about numbers. College has made me afraid of numbers :rofl:

Thanks very much OP:tup:

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    I'm checking out the official BlazBlue English site, and there's a notation in the characters' movelists that I don't understand. Beside each move, there's a "SP1," "SP2," etc...what is that?

not official, but my very educated guess is that SP1 for example is the shortcut for a Special Attack bound to the right analog stick (as a shortcut)

they used the SP1 notation in Wii Guilty gear for the specials bound to 'hold these buttons and swing the remote'

just speculation though
  • jackzenithjackzenith Joined: Posts: 76
    Can you still use the plinking method for links?
  • koogykoogy BROKENTIER.COM Joined: Posts: 3,360
    Can you still use the plinking method for links?

The game repeats the same button press for 5 frames if you hold it. So, no, plinking isn't to your advantage in comparison.
    FIGHTING GAMER CLOTHING
    www.brokentier.com | www.twitter.com/brokentier | www.facebook.com/brokentier
  • 4r54r5 FIGHTAN VIDYA GAEMS Joined: Posts: 2,579
    guys...
    plinking is a SF4-only glitch
    PSN: fourer5 // XBL: fourerfive
    www.youtube.com/user/fourerfive
  • RoboticToastRoboticToast Joined: Posts: 18
    Is there a list of character health/stamina anywhere? In SF I always seemed to be drawn to the frail/pixie characters...
    The game repeats the same button press for 5 frames if you hold it. So, no, plinking isn't to your advantage in comparison.

Whoa, that is way easier than plinking
  • radicaledward101radicaledward101 . Joined: Posts: 805
    Why is the music actually good? Aren't 2d fighters supposed to have mind numbingly painful soundtracks?

Serious questions:
    How do you get the unlockables? What are the unlockables?

Question for Xbox 360 users:
    Is the gameplay/loading times/etc. better if you install the game on your HDD? I know for Halo 3 Bungie specifically said not to install the game. However, SFIV has much better load times and stuff with the game installed.

Also...
    Someone is bound to ask this so... Here are the Xbox 360 achievements http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/blazblue/achievements/
    -MBAA - Seifuku Akiha (I only play casuals now. No one wants to play...)
    -VS - Demitri (According to Twitter I'm the worst Demitri ever! [My Biggest FGC Accomplishment])
    -VF - Kage
  • PelvicThrust69PelvicThrust69 Get Hype Joined: Posts: 390
    Question for Xbox 360 users:
    Is the gameplay/loading times/etc. better if you install the game on your HDD? I know for Halo 3 Bungie specifically said not to install the game. However, SFIV has much better load times and stuff with the game installed.

Halo 3 was one of the few games really ,really optimized around streaming.

I don't have the game in my hand yet, but I can almost 100% guarantee that, yes, it will be significantly faster load times if you install it to the hard drive.
    Zangief has such a way with words.. "For a number one self-important fellow, the meaning is a misunderstandable thing saying it's as painful as a knife thrusting! Ooh! That's right there's that."
    Also, it seems that the achievements website I posted earlier dropped all the secret achievements...

This one is complete http://www.succesfull.fr/index.php?option=com_succesfull&Itemid=5&l=en&JeuID=569
    -VS - Demitri (According to Twitter I'm the worst Demitri ever! [My Biggest FGC Accomplishment])
    -VF - Kage
  • nevershootmenevershootme mmmm Toasty.... Joined: Posts: 113
    not official, but my very educated guess is that SP1 for example is the shortcut for a Special Attack bound to the right analog stick (as a shortcut)

they used the SP1 notation in Wii Guilty gear for the specials bound to 'hold these buttons and swing the remote'

just speculation though

yea the hotkeying of special attacks exists in BB. Tager 360 on 1 simple button :looney:
  • HBRDHBRD why Joined: Posts: 2,464
    Why is the music actually good? Aren't 2d fighters supposed to have mind numbingly painful soundtracks?
    Indestructable is now playing in your head, on loop :tup:
    Magnetomaniac: TEACH THIS GUY HOW TO PLAY CHUN AND RUFUS RESPECTIVELY
    Tarnish: OS is like the Coke Zero of strategy
    Abominablek: CvS1's menu theme was so gay I expected the Queer Eye guys to bust into my house and give me a makeover
  • DarthTreyDarthTrey Sabaku Taiso!!! Joined: Posts: 924

Welcome to the world that Gear heads have been living in for years.

All hail Daisuke Ishiwatari

ahhhhhhh if only you SF players new what you have been missing.

True story. Senkei33 and I were at a big SF tourney in orlando a month ago or so(GoogleMyNames) and when he hooked his ps3 up to the projector for finals we had some casual time and he turned on his Guilty Gear Soundtrack while we were playing SF and we had numerous numerous comments/ questions about it lol.
    Say hello to your mother for me.
  • BotTaaManBotTaaMan Joined: Posts: 16
    So from what I understand, if you don't press anything when your opponent is doing a combo on you; they can make it a "false" combo making it longer than intended (as a result the heat gauge dims a bit).

So is it in your best interest to hit an attack button as soon at the heat gauge dims to get out the combo; or is there an alternative method to determine when the best time to recover out of a combo is.
  • XgrayninjaXgrayninja Fumbling my way to the top. One loss at a time. Joined: Posts: 1,224
    Very, very newb-esque question, but here goes: are there any charge characters in BB? Because I normally use those type of characters in SF.
    Gotta be hungry.
    Very, very newb-esque question, but here goes: are there any charge characters in BB? Because I normally use those type of characters in SF.

Do you mean characters with a Guile type move set? If so then I don't think so. Noel's astral finish is a charge down combo. I could be wrong though. I've only used a few characters so far.
    -VF - Kage
  • XgrayninjaXgrayninja Fumbling my way to the top. One loss at a time. Joined: Posts: 1,224
    Do you mean characters with a Guile type move set? If so then I don't think so. Noel's astral finish is a charge down combo. I could be wrong though. I've only used a few characters so far.
    I mean just any character that has specials which only require holding back/down than releasing forward/up, as opposed to a joystick motion like QCF or a 360 motion.
    Gotta be hungry.
    I mean just any character that has specials which only require holding back/down than releasing forward/up, as opposed to a joystick motion like QCF or a 360 motion.

So yes then my answer fits. Though I'm unsure if its correct.
    -VF - Kage
  • samiamx50samiamx50 Samwise I Am Joined: Posts: 63
    There are no pure charge characters. Everyone uses commands (quarter circle, dp, etc).
    There are no pure charge characters. Everyone uses commands (quarter circle, dp, etc).
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Gotta be hungry.
  • HirumaNCHirumaNC Joined: Posts: 571
    A note to all players that plan to main/sub/hug Taokaka, you will want to map the taunt button somewhere your fingers can comfortable reach & combo with, her most damaging combo uses taunt.
  • XombieXombie No Armor? No Problem Joined: Posts: 654
    Anyone working on story mode? Still trying to get the 100% for Arakune and cant figure it out yet.

Figured I should post this here instead of his thread.
    MVC3 : Arthur/Doom/Sentinel
    SSF4AE : Yun/Cody
    WMMT3 : RX-7 FC3S 600HP
    IDV3 : RX-8 Battle Level 16
    Hi guys, ive lurked around these forums now and again, this is my first post. I was wondering if you could answer me a question. I love SF and most Neo Geo fighters, and when choosing characters ive always gone for shotokan or kyokugen characters, with their f,d,df,f anti air and d,df,f projectiles. ive never owned a guilty gear outright, but when i played it, it seemed a bit too crazy for me. i think i was being too narrow minded, for example i was very sceptical about sf4 and i ended up loving that! so i want to skip GG and give BB a try.

sorry im going on with myself; my question is - is there a good character in blazblue for shoto/kugen fans like myself?

thanks
  • soulbankaisoulbankai I can't combo Joined: Posts: 227
    imo SHObr, maybe Jin or Ragna, maybe even Noel. Jin is probably the closest, an upper motion, and has projectiles. But, his play style is awkward. But that may be where Ragna comes in. Sorry if my advice sucks. I am also still new to the game like everyone here. So my suggestion might be a little bad.
    If only I knew how to combo, I would probably actually be a decent fighter.
    sorry im going on with myself; my question is - is there a good character in blazblue for shoto/kugen fans like myself?

thanks

Jin.
    Jin.
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,636
    It's probably character specific but how useful is guarding, instant guarding, barrier, and instant barrier? in a general sense I mean which should I be using more of? in the few vids I've seen it seems barrier is rarely used (I guess that 1 extra recovery frame is a big deal?) and instant guarding I guess relies on how well you can anticipate like just defending in cvs2 or parrys in 3s?

The zetaboards site says barrier burts ONLY stops the opponent's attack but the sticky on srk says it also makes you do a little more damage for the rest of the round, since you get 1 everyone does that mean whenever either you or the opponent is low on life you should use barrier burst since you get it back next round anyways?

What's the use of rapid cancel? is it there for resets since damage scaling makes big combos worthless?

To tech in aie I just press a,b, or c after being hit but does this work for getting out of combos or just single attacks? and if not then is there another way to get out of a combo without barrier bursting? and how do I ground tech?

In general how useful is counter assault?

WTF is projectile attribute attacks that are invincible to projectiles? and how does this seemingly complicated attribute mechanic integrate into gameplay? it seems like a lot to keep all this shit in mind PLUS thinking oh that cr forward has foot invincibility! lol.

How does the clash system work? is it when both player hit each other with the same normal at the same time? and if so what determines who gets the frame advantage?

This is probably character specific but if the longer a combo goes the less damage it does then what's the right balance?

Sorry for all the newbie questions:sweat:
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"