BLAZBLUE: Q&A For newcomers (PLEASE POST/CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A THREAD!!!)

Comments

• CallistoCallisto Level 3 Fireball Trap Queen Joined: Posts: 1,605
    Ragna execution tier:

70537-KeyboardCat.gif

I love him lol

XBL: BG Callisto

YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSassageKing
    Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/bgcallisto

USF4 Sakura Combo Compendium Companion Blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thesassageking

• AirkAirk Joined: Posts: 1,024
    -He doesn't let me play BlazBlue, he makes me play his own game. I call it the "Hakumen Guessing Game". It's a game where Hakumen basically says "fuck you Valkenhayn, you can't stay in my ass; you must now think about everything you do or you're going to get countered".

This is a feature, not a bug. The thing you need to understand about BlazBlue is that most of the cast is like this - Litchi has brutal oki unlike pretty much everyone else in the game. I've had people whine that because of that they're "Not playing Blazblue". Arakune has curse madness which results in a very different game. Noel has retarded drive stuff which forces you to play completely differently. Tager can do half your life bar if you screw up a combo or blockstring while on the ground - that's a game changer. Valk has ridiculous movement options that force all kinds of terrible guessing games that you don't have to put up with when playing anyone else, etc. There's no such thing as "playing Blazblue" unless by that you mean the game that you only play when you're facing Ragna, Jin, Makoto and maybe Tsubaki.
  • DreizeDreize How quaint... Joined: Posts: 1,333
    I understand that each character has cheap things about him/her, heck; Valky's mix-up is bloody ridiculous. Thing is, I feel like Hakumen has just way too many cheap things/options.

Valky's all about rushdown and staying in dat ass, and while characters like Litchi, Arakune, Tager, etc can prevent me from getting in. At least when I get in, I can stay in. Unlike when facing Hakumen, where I'm forced to play his guessing game with counters.
    I don't really think the counters are anywhere near as bad as someone who is willing to use INFERNO DIVIDER!!!11 while giving no f*cks. Except that ID will hit WHATEVER you do next, while only Yukikaze will counter highs AND lows, and still loses to throws... which lose to ID.

Seriously. Treat Hakumen's counters like someone who is MASHING THE **** out of DP and you'll discover that, in fact, they're really not that bad. The ones that come out fast only last for very short periods of time, and the only one that counters both highs and lows is Yukikaze, which is just like any other character mashing a reversal DD - it's just as punishable, with 17 frames of absolutely nothing after the counter stops being active.

If you think Hakumen's counters are annoying, you haven't fought enough DP happy Ragna players yet. ID is pretty much better than all of Hakumen's counters, and leads to more damage most of the time to boot.

And yeah, fine, his Astral is really good, but odds are, if he's in a position to Astral you, you've already lost.
    Well, I still do have huge troubles with Hakumen, but I'm getting better at dealing with him.

I really can't thank you for helping me getting started dude, these forums seem to be pretty dead.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 22,244
    Well, I still do have huge troubles with Hakumen, but I'm getting better at dealing with him.

I really can't thank you for helping me getting started dude, these forums seem to be pretty dead.
    That is because all the discussion about BB is done on Dustloop
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    That is because all the discussion about BB is done on Dustloop

Even the dustloop Valky forum is pretty dead.
    Clearly, that is because everything that can be invented discovered, has been. :P

Combo threads are actually usually pretty bland places, because they only really support two types of posts:

"Hey guys, I found this combo..." which usually burns itself out pretty fast (Extend has nearly a year under it's belt in the US and more than that in Japan)
    "I'm having trouble with this combo..." which are usually either answered by one "Here's the trick" post, or by a "practice more, there is no trick" post, and that's that.

Strategy discussion threads are usually more interesting, but even so, you have to pretty much make your own fun.
    Oops, typo.

Meant, "forum". Fixed.
  • MenethilMenethil Joined: Posts: 13
    I'm mainly going through the challenge mode right now and I'm having a really hard time dash cancelling combos in this game. I always do them too late to continue the combo, but every time i try to do them earlier they don't come out. If there is some sort of link or something about how to do it I would appreciate it. I'm mainly focusing of Tsubaki's challenged because so far she is my favorite next to Noel.
  • McgreagMcgreag Joined: Posts: 23
    I'm mainly going through the challenge mode right now and I'm having a really hard time dash cancelling combos in this game. I always do them too late to continue the combo, but every time i try to do them earlier they don't come out. If there is some sort of link or something about how to do it I would appreciate it. I'm mainly focusing of Tsubaki's challenged because so far she is my favorite next to Noel.
    Tsubaki does not have any attacks that can be dash canceled so it's actually a dash link. Can't really help you with execution as dash links are one of the things I have the most problem with as well.
    Yeah; Unfortunately there's no secret here, though this info might help, re: the advanced input system (from the Dustloop Wiki)"
    If you input 66 ("forward", twice in a row) within 5F of the end of an attack's recovery, then regardless of the stick's direction after that, you will dash as soon as recovery ends. For dashing out of a crouching attack, however, you have to keep holding forward or it won't be able to come out. This technique is useful for linking together combos and counter attacks because it gives your attacks more range for free.
  • TheMeth90TheMeth90 Slowly learning Elena on 3S... Joined: Posts: 1,145
    I just bought the game yesterday and i'm a total beginner, never really played GG or an other BB before. Any good advices? I think i will play Lambda, love her spacing and zoning abilities.

Now, i try to understand all basics of the game (barriers, instant block/barriers, burst etc...) a lot of things but it's fun.
    Go through the main tutorial and the tutorial for your character. Try to understand the more relevant options available to you - as Lambda, barrier guard, backdash, and counter assault are all going to be useful to you fairly early on. Find some combos, either on Dustloop or just in challenge mode and learn a couple of them. For Lambda you'll probably want a basic "sword" confirm (5DD > 236B), an anti-air sword confirm, some sort of basic close range midscreen combo (5CCCCCC > 6C > 236B? I dunno. I don't play Lambda) and ideally some sort of more damaging corner combo as well. Oh, and something off a throw, but if I remember right, Lambda's throw combo is pretty similar to her anti-air 2D combo.

Then get out there and play. I continue to be surprised by the number of new players I bump into online, so play a lot. And sure, play Arcade mode and maybe even story mode too. They'll give you combo practice and hitconfirm practice, at least. Play a lot. Go back and refresh your memory on details. Etc.
  • FrizzypFrizzyp Joined: Posts: 2
    Um speaking of characters.. would you ever have two characters that you fight with instead of just one?
    and if you would, then would you go for a different fighting style or a similar one to your first character??

My situation is that I like Bang and I want him to be my main fighter, but I don't like the idea of sticking to only one character, so I was wondering maybe later on after I've got plenty of experience with Bang, maybe I could go for a second character (either Makoto or Litchi)
  • OSDOSD Joined: Posts: 441
    My situation is that I like Bang and I want him to be my main fighter, but I don't like the idea of sticking to only one character, so I was wondering maybe later on after I've got plenty of experience with Bang, maybe I could go for a second character (either Makoto or Litchi)
    Just do it when you feel comfortable enough with the game. I started playing BB about 2 months ago and started out with both Hazama and Makoto. But the 2 characters were just to different to learn at the same time whilst getting familiar with the game. So I started playing Makoto religiously and dropped Hazama.
    About 1-2 weeks ago I started messing around with Hazama again after I dropped him in my first week and I was doing significantly better. Just because I had a better understanding of the game and I don't feel nearly as panicky in pressure anymore.
    Imo Makoto is a good character to mess around with (even though she's the worst character in the game), because she's just pure fundamentals. Nothing fancy, no derp, just pure solid play.

@TheMeth90
    Here's a good read that helped me out a bit when I started playing.
    http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?8693-Guide-for-People-Coming-from-SF-to-New-School-Fighters-Part-1
  • FrizzypFrizzyp Joined: Posts: 2
    Imo Makoto is a good character to mess around with (even though she's the worst character in the game), because she's just pure fundamentals. Nothing fancy, no derp, just pure solid play

I thought tager was the worst, I heard makoto was good because her normals deal some good damage
    I thought tager was the worst, I heard makoto was good because her normals deal some good damage
    Nope, Makoto and Tsubaki are the worst

And about Makoto:
    -Her overal damage is pretty low unless you get your opponent in the corner.
    -She has short range on almost all her normals.
    -Her mixup is pretty limited.
    -There's not a single matchup where she has the advantage (maybe Relius) and she has a disadvantage vs a lot of the cast, especially the top tiers (besides Valk). When you fight Litchi and Ragna you just want to hang yourself.

But matches feel FAR from unwinnable. I never felt like the character held me back. Instead, most of the time I know when I dropped the soap and I learn from it.
    Goro was still beasting on everyone in Japan with this version of Makoto and he still is in CP,
  • ShiroyashaShiroyasha The Crimson Fucker Joined: Posts: 794
    Hey there everyone. sf4 has been my only fighting game and i just purchased BlazeBlue and i want to start right away. I have some general fundamentals down, im aware of footsies, spacing, etc. Is there any checklist or general Blazblue tutorials which explains game specific mechanics ?
    SSF4 AE 2012: Juri, Rose, Cammy <3

Just play the ingame tutorial. It does an excellent job at explaining the mechanics and basic fighting game knowledge (take notes Capcom).
    And I posted a link 3 posts up, I recommend you take a look at it. It might help you out a bit.
  • OldNoobOldNoob Joined: Posts: 16
    Hey Blazbluers

I like the look of this series but don't know where to begin.

I hear the story is really good which suggests I should start at Calamity Trigger buuuuuuuuuuuuut I guess the latest and greatest (Continuum extend) will be more polished and better online-wise.

TL:DR
    Will I miss out much by starting with Continuum shift?
    Low Sodium Scrub
    Nope.

When you buy Extend you have 2 seperate story modes. Calamity Triggers story mode AND Continuum Shifts story mode.
    I'm not sure if it's as extensive compared to the original BB:CT, but it gets the point across (it did for me).
    The Extend story mode is a "condensed" version of the CT story, apparently, with just a single story line that involves you playing multiple characters. I never played the original CT story mode, so I don't know if anything is "lost in translation" or not, but it serves as a pretty decent explanation of events, at least.
  • OldNoobOldNoob Joined: Posts: 16
    Thamks OSD and Airk,
    I'll pick up extend then, If I desperately need to know something there's always Youtube, wikis etc.
    Low Sodium Scrub
  • jpenguin77jpenguin77 Old Ass Button Masher Joined: Posts: 260
    Just picked up BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND... God help me... Def NOT SF!!! Hitting the YouTubes after work.
    Just a hero for fun
    Definitely NOT SF. :)

Thoughts on what playstyle (if not character) you might like?
  • jpenguin77jpenguin77 Old Ass Button Masher Joined: Posts: 260
    Well I picked up the game yesterday evening on my lunch break and with the whole "family life" I've only logged about an hour in. I have played as Ragna and Litchi. I think I will do some time in training and tutorials before I hit arcade, story and def online.
    Just a hero for fun
  • RamRamStylesRamRamStyles Joined: Posts: 205
    Is the online community for 360 still fairly active?
    Ranked matches are a little dead sometimes, but player matches generally have some action, even at weird times.
  • BakenekoBakeneko All Hail the Cat Girls! Joined: Posts: 91
    If your PSR is at 0-99 (I don't remember how the PSR settings go), there should still be a fair amount of beginners playing there.
    Player matches are more tough though, since all players I see there have their PSR up to 450+.
    UMvC3 : Team Meowcenaries - (Felicia/Taskmaster/Deadpool)
    BlazBlue : Taokaka/Terumi/Izayoi
  • SPECTERLIGHTSPECTERLIGHT I Am One w/ the Force, The Force is w/ Me... Joined: Posts: 730
    Greetings Blazers of the Blue!
    If one hasn't Bought Continuum Shift, would you recommend just getting Extend instead? CS used is cheap at GS right now...
    (already have CT LE)
    Disciplines: Bushin-Ryu-Ninpo, Street Fighting, Demonology, IGA Ninjitsu, Bushido, Alchemy, English Boxing, Wing Chun, Shaolin Gung Fu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Igyo Tenshin-no-Jutsu, SFCQC, Swordplay, Garou Ryū MMA, Kusanagi Ryū Kobujutsu, Yagami M.Arts, Gun Kata...
    “There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.” 武神

RIN-PYOU-TOU-SHA-KAI-JIN-RETSU-ZAI-ZEN
    I wouldn't really recommend CS at this point unless you are:

A) ONLY interested in single player EVER
    OR
    B) Utterly impoverished, such that the difference in price between the two games is like, whether you eat tonight (Note: Looking up the games on Amazon, Extend and CS cost basically the same, with 'vanilla' CS actually being 18 cents more expensive).

So uh. Yeah. If you want the game at this point, Extend is the way to be, and pleasantly cheap.
  • CelerityCelerity Professional Necrodancer Joined: Posts: 798
    Yeah get Extend, it's more current, has more characters, and it should cost the same. Keep in mind the progression goes CS > CS2 > CSE, so you'd be two versions behind.
    (P4AU) Marie :::: (UNIEL) Vatista :::: (BB) Izayoi/Rachel :::: (USF4) Juri
    Celerity wrote: »
    Keep in mind the progression goes CS > CS2 > CSE, so you'd be two versions behind.

Not really, CS2 is a free update. (Except for the characters, that you'd have to buy, so yeah. More reason to get extend.)

Extend has always been a great entry point into the series, because it's complete and has no "Required DLC".
    Mmm I guess you're right about CS2. It seems I forgot that some companies provide massive free patches for their games instead of charging you for DLC from day 1. :)
  • NotTooBadNotTooBad Joined: Posts: 41
    Hello dead forum, I just got BB:CSEX a few days ago. I am well aware that this game isn't as popular as it used to be, but I wanted to get a grasp of how this game works before CP drops (though I play on the xbox360 and I haven't seen any confirmation that it's coming out for that system) :( But regardless, I just needed a break from the other fighting games I play. Anyways, I have a few questions:

1. Just to confirm, the only way to get out of a combo is to "Barrier Burst," correct?
    2. When recovering in the air or on the ground after being hit by pressing a direction and a button, is it wise to mash or learn to time it?
    3. Can characters combo after a "Counter Assault?" If not, is it really worth it to spend 50% heat just to hit someone slightly away from you? (Perhaps I'm valuing heat too much)

Welp, here's hoping someone sees this post within a reasonable time period.
    NotTooBad wrote: »
    Hello dead forum, I just got BB:CSEX a few days ago. I am well aware that this game isn't as popular as it used to be, but I wanted to get a grasp of how this game works before CP drops (though I play on the xbox360 and I haven't seen any confirmation that it's coming out for that system) :( But regardless, I just needed a break from the other fighting games I play. Anyways, I have a few questions:

1. Just to confirm, the only way to get out of a combo is to "Barrier Burst," correct?
    2. When recovering in the air or on the ground after being hit by pressing a direction and a button, is it wise to mash or learn to time it?
    3. Can characters combo after a "Counter Assault?" If not, is it really worth it to spend 50% heat just to hit someone slightly away from you? (Perhaps I'm valuing heat too much)

Welp, here's hoping someone sees this post within a reasonable time period.

1. Yes, bursting is the only thing you can do while you're being combo'd, but you can also mash a button to tech in case your opponent drops the combo. Be careful, though, smart players will occasionally drop their combo on purpose for a reset opportunity (especially towards the end).

2. It really depends. Like I said, during a combo you pretty much have to mash it to get it out in time (although in P4A and BBCP, you can hold the button down instead). Off of random hits/the end of a combo, you usually want to tech as soon as possible since it lets you act quicker, but there are reasons to delay it since certain characters will have tech punish setups. I'm not really good at this aspect of the game either, but I guess I would say mashing is fine for a beginner. Just don't get too predictable.

3. Some characters can, but it prorates heavily, so you're not going to get much damage if any. I don't even worry about comboing from it, I use the time to get better positioning. The question of whether it's worth meter depends on who you play: zoners benefit from the distance, but a character like Makoto is obviously much better off trying to block and looking for an opening. In Extend, meter gain is pretty ridiculous, so you should be able to afford one every now and then. I see BBCP players use it much less often because the meter gain has been significantly reduced. I'd say overall it's safe to ignore the option unless you're in danger of being guard crushed, you're better off learning how to block properly.
    Damn, didn't expect that quick of a response! Thanks a lot.
    There are plenty of us lurking here, we just don't always have that much to discuss. ;)

Celerity pretty much covered questions 1 and 2, though I'll expand a little bit on #3; Some characters can combo off it, but as mentioned, the proration is bad (though sometimes that doesn't matter; I've been killed by a Valkenhayn player doing a CA to knock me into the corner and then following it up for like...1.5k or something, which is small potatoes damage, but sometimes all you need). Really though, the point of the Counter Assault is to shift momentum - in BB, lots of characters have fairly strong pressure, where once they get an offense going, it can be quite hard to get out. Counter Assaults allow you to get out, and are generally easier, if not strictly "safer" than doing a DP > Rapid Cancel, because you can do a Counter Assault WHILE you are in blockstun, whereas to DP out of pressure requires a gap in blockstun, which means mindgames. And, well, it's a lot harder to mash out a DP for a small gap than it is to push towards+AB. Also, counter assaults are not created equal. They have varying ranges, startups, etc. (Noel's does even have a hitbox, Arakune's is a throw, so fails against jumping opponents.). And of course the value of a CA is relative to your other tools and options. If you're playing Ragna or Mu and therefore have a strong DP, the value of a counter assault goes down. If you're playing Tager and your counter assault is not very good, and your distortions are powerful, the value of a counter assault goes down. If you're playing Tsubaki and your other uses for heat are relatively crappy, plus your DP is bad, the relative value of a counter assault goes up. ;)
  • McgreagMcgreag Joined: Posts: 23
    Actually even if you manage to combo off an Counter Assault you can not kill your opponent with that combo. In have seen Arakune do 6.2k from a Counter Assault (sadly that video doesn't exist anymore) but the last 1-2k was just to build heat because the opponent was already down to 1 hp.
    That's right. I was getting it mixed up with getting killed by Carl off a green burst. x.x
    Thanks again for everyone's detailed responses. I guess the only other thing I'm having trouble with at the moment is knowing when/what to Barrier Guard.
    Barrier guard everything in the air, unless it's something you KNOW you don't have to barrier like a bunch of Lambda Swords when she can't get into range to do anything else.

On the ground, barrier anytime you feel like your opponent is near the edge of the range of their attacks, so that the pushback forces them to either whiff or do something to close distance, at which point you can escape/counterattack.
  • lifetimes09lifetimes09 Joined: Posts: 7
    Hey any noel players out there I realy want learn I'm on xbl my gamertag is ebonyknight09
  • Shooting Star RockmanShooting Star Rockman Jaded Joined: Posts: 1,245
    Are there still Calamity Trigger PC players?
  • okkoe11evenokkoe11even Joined: Posts: 49
    Hello all! I'm an average player of SF4, and I would like to play Blazblue now. Why? Meh... I can't main a character in SF4 and link properly (1-frame link are annoying) I play Makoto, Sakura.

My question is: In BBCSX, Which character are considered Good (Top tiers) and FUN to play? (I saw videos of V-13 and MU-12 and they are quite cool to watch).
    Hello all! I'm an average player of SF4, and I would like to play Blazblue now. Why? Meh... I can't main a character in SF4 and link properly (1-frame link are annoying) I play Makoto, Sakura.

My question is: In BBCSX, Which character are considered Good (Top tiers) and FUN to play? (I saw videos of V-13 and MU-12 and they are quite cool to watch).

Hi, welcome, glad you're interested in BlazBlue.

First off, the newest version (Chrono Phantasma) is already out in Japanese arcades and will be released for PS3 in about a month in Japan, 3-4 months for the US. So you might want to pay more attention to the BBCP tiers and match videos as opposed to BBCSX.

Second of all, what's fun to play is totally up to you of course. If you like robot girls, play robot girls. Nobody will judge you. Nu-13 and Mu-12 are more zoning-oriented characters. I play Sakura in SF4 and I like Rachel in BlazBlue for the same reasons: she has oppressive pressure and okizeme, and very good anti-airs. She has a lot of zoning tools as well, so she's a relatively low-damage character, but she maintains momentum very well. She's considered top tier in BBCP.

Other characters that (I believe) are considered top tier/high tier in Japan right now are Hakumen, Taokaka, Azrael, and Jin.

Other characters you might want to look at: Tsubaki is very beginner-friendly, and along with Ragna she's one of the first characters you should consider learning. Makoto; she's low-tier, but she's very satisfying to play, and her combos aren't particularly hard. Valkenhayn is a very strong rushdown character who can shift into a wolf, fairly high execution requirements. And Bullet, but she's not out yet.

Finally, check out Dustloop for more character info and match videos etc., the BB section of SRK is a bit barren. http://www.dustloop.com
  • VerimeloniVerimeloni Joined: Posts: 116
    Hazama will always be top (or top-ish) tier but requires execution skill & just experience. In CP Carl is considered very good but is one of the hardest characters to play well (execution, positioning, zoning, timing, mindgames). For beginners I'd say try out Ragna and Jin and then compare their styles, would you rather play a straight rushdown character or someone with projectiles and less means to overpower the opponent when they're close. Tsubaki is beginner-friendly but her standard beginner combos become predictable and punishable very quick. With her it's more about using Install and IAD-ing and knowing when to play offense and defense.
    LIVE/verimeloni - PSN/veriberry
    PLAYING CHRONOPHANTASMA (Azrael all the way bitches')
    BlazBlue/Azrael, Tsubaki, Jin - Guilty Gear/Order-Sol, Jam, Baiken
    Other characters who are top tier in both the Extend and CP are Valk and Hazama.

Celerity is right though - no one can tell you who is "fun" for you to play.
  • AzureXIIIAzureXIII Joined: Posts: 284
    edited September 2013
    Is BBCSX fairly populated?