BLAZBLUE: Q&A For newcomers (PLEASE POST/CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A THREAD!!!)

Comments

• bananaboy2bananaboy2 Joined: Posts: 10
    Coming from a background of zero fighting games, I'm planning on getting CSEX. Are there any exercises/guides to getting into this/fighting games? Seems really complex.
  • AirkAirk Joined: Posts: 1,024
    It is complex. And there aren't, really, any serious guides for the total newbie. I would suggest that you watch the archived Beginner Mode videos which can be found at Twitch.TV or on Youtube. These are excellent for understanding why things happen and why you might want to do certain things. What they won't teach you, though, is how TO actually do things.

You should go through the tutorial included (hopefully) with EX - if it's as good or better than the one included with CS(2), then it should explain the mechanics of a lot of stuff - while most of this will repeat a lot of the info from Beginner Mode, it will put it together in a much more concise, condensed format, while may help it stick, rather than trying to absorb the mechanical instructions that are spread out over several hours of video.

Next, you should choose a character - at your level of experience, it doesn't really matter who. Pick someone who seems visually interesting to you - it's going to be a while until you develop many skills that won't transfer between characters if you don't like your first choice (After all, a quarter circle forward is a quarter circle forward, regardless of whether you're Ryu, Ragna, Terry Bogard, Heart Aino, or Haohmaru. And if you don't know who any of those people are, that's fine. :) ). Once you've picked a character, try out their trials. Do the first two, at least. And then, ideally, do them again. You need to be able to pull off each of those motions "on demand" . If you need practice for this sort of thing and don't want to just do one character's moves over and over, you might try doing trials 1 and 2 for EVERY character. This will give you practice "doing the motions", most of which are shared between characters - but don't feel too bad if you can't do some stuff like Hazama's and Tager's Astral heats or something. The trial #1 stuff for everyone is stuff you should be able to do, however.

Once you've gotten to the point where you feel like you are 'comfortable' with how often moves come out, try doing some further trials with your character of choice - but again, don't get frustrated if you can't get past #3 or #4. The idea here is just to get a feel for how combos work, and maybe some possible applications for a few of your moves.

At this point, or even before, really, since it's never too early, you should start messing around in Arcade Mode. While the CPU is no substitute for human opponents, it will help you get a feel for how your moves work. Better still though, would be to find another person who can embark on this journey with you, because nothing improves you skills more than going up against someone else of similar skill. If you have a partner, going at it in versus mode will really help you start putting theory into practice.

From there, you'll want to play as many people as possible, work on the various trials for your character, spend time in training mode making sure that you can RELIABLY do those combos (Being able to do a combo once after trying 5 times will clear a trial, but it won't serve you well in a match.) - and probably swing on over to Dustloop.com to learn more about your character of choice... though lots of smart, well informed folks hang out here too.

So to summarize:

#0: Watch you some Beginner Mode. You can get started on this even before you get Extend.
    #1: Go through the tutorial
    #2: Choose a character, and go through a couple of trials. (At least #1, preferably 1-3 or so, maybe 1-4)
    #3: Play. At this stage, it doesn't matter if you're playing the CPU or a person - while a person is better, there's plenty you can learn from battling it out with the CPU.
    #4: Practice. Use practice mode to improve your execution.
    #5: Learn. Visit Dustloop, watch videos, talk to people.
    #6: Play.
    #7: Practice
    #8: Learn
    Repeat Steps 6-8, and remember step -1: ENJOY.
  • bananaboy2bananaboy2 Joined: Posts: 10
    Thanks a lot!
    I also sortof neglected step #5 a bit - in addition to the learning options listed, you should watch replays of your own losses and ask yourself "Why did this happen? What did I do wrong? Where in this match did I make a bad decision?" and try to learn from that.

That's a long way down the road yet though.
  • CallistoCallisto Level 3 Fireball Trap Queen Joined: Posts: 1,605
    Yeah, the first time I really watched a replay and saw all the random unsafe crap I threw out was pretty-eye opening, even on the matches I win handily I still see lots of mistakes to learn from.

XBL: BG Callisto

YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSassageKing
    Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/bgcallisto

USF4 Sakura Combo Compendium Companion Blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thesassageking

• GomikawaGomikawa Joined: Posts: 63
    I'm thinking about getting into Blazblue but unsure if its right for me. What would you guys say about the difficulty of Blazblue compared to the other fighting games? The only fighting game I played was Umvc3/MvC3.
    It's not too far from MvC3 in terms of controls/combo styling, the major meat of combos is cancels rather than links, defensive aspects are pretty similar, being able to use throws to begin combos is there. I'd say in terms of execution strictness it's slightly harder that most of MvC but not as strict as SF. You really should have no problem picking it up, it's made to be accessible.

USF4 Sakura Combo Compendium Companion Blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thesassageking

Okay cool would you recommend that I get blazblue contiunum shift 2 or should I wait for extend?
    At this point just wait for Extend, even with how cheap CS2 is, it's only two weeks away.

Alright thanks.
  • FinalFantasyFinalFantasy Joined: Posts: 190
    Was/Is it hard to find an online match on CS2? I played a lot of CS2 on PSP but didn't have online -_-

I want to wait till extend obviously but CS2 is really cheap and I already plan on getting a few other games this month. So I was thinking about just getting CS2 if the online was good/able to find people. How many of you will be getting EX?
    PSN: Linity
    I've never had any problems finding matches in CS2 on XBL, and PSN should have roughly as many players.

Blazblue, has, er, a lot of netplayers relative to the number of folks who bought the game, apparently, because relative to say, SF4, it plays really well over the net (5 frame advance input buffer, minimum of very strict links, etc.)
  • KrusivKrusiv Joined: Posts: 486
    Does Extend come with any other CS2 DLC built in? I know that it has Makoto, Valk, and Platinum but what about colors or announcers?
    Word on the street is that Extend comes with all the CS2 colors/announcers, but that you have to unlock them by playing Abyss mode.
    As long as they aren't unlocked in Score Attack that's fine lol

Word on the street is that Extend comes with all the CS2 colors/announcers, but that you have to unlock them by playing Abyss mode.
    That's pretty cool I guess. Wish I didn't buy the announcers now, but... whatever. Do you have to unlock Mu12/Makoto/Valk/Plat/Relius, too, or are they playable from the get-go?
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe characters are unlocked right off and it's just "extras" that are locked up.

Note: They are also releasing NEW DLC announcers that you need to buy if you want them.
  • AndarelAndarel Joined: Posts: 438
    At least in the Japanese extend, all characters are unlocked but extras - most notably, the second page of colors - are unlocked by playing the game.

Announcers are straight-up DLC though.
  • AxLegitxLegendAxLegitxLegend Joined: Posts: 203
    I haven't touched the online yet, however my PSN is the same as my username and I'd like to play with someone who knows their stuff. I was decent at the original game, for the Xbox 360. I would like to practice Bang, Ragna and Noel. Possibly get some tips and stuff, have someone who plays regularly-ish at nights, Eastern Time perhaps?
    SRK. The website filled with grown ass men acting like pricks.
  • McgreagMcgreag Joined: Posts: 23
    At least in the Japanese extend, all characters are unlocked but extras - most notably, the second page of colors - are unlocked by playing the game.

Announcers are straight-up DLC though.
    Actually all the announcers that where DLC for CS are unlock-able by playing the game just like the colors. It's just the new announcers that are DLC.
    Unlimited is unlocked the same way, no need to beat score attack or anything.
  • grandabxgrandabx Flameater Joined: Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I haven't touched the online yet, however my PSN is the same as my username and I'd like to play with someone who knows their stuff. I was decent at the original game, for the Xbox 360. I would like to practice Bang, Ragna and Noel. Possibly get some tips and stuff, have someone who plays regularly-ish at nights, Eastern Time perhaps?
    that's alot of work to play with three characters. are you sure about that?
    I remember when people thought Bison doing the psycho crusher back and forth across the screen in SF:CE was cheap.
    GGXX: As long as I apply myself, I can win with anyone.
    Well, he can practice whatever he likes; Maybe he's trying to figure out which one he wants to main?

And glad to hear that the "old DLC" announcers are unlockable - Jin announcer for the win.
  • AxLegitxLegendAxLegitxLegend Joined: Posts: 203
    Yeah, I wanted to figure out which one I wanted. I think it may end up being Bang since Ragna is pretty top tier and Noel falls off in terms of learning curve / skill curve so she gets beaten easily by other high skilled players of other characters.
    SRK. The website filled with grown ass men acting like pricks.
  • Naoto ShiroganeNaoto Shirogane Detective Prince Joined: Posts: 292
    Is Ragna the only one who rapid cancels? I'm stuck on the rapid cancel part of the tutorial and was thinking of assigning it to a button. (I've tried pressing all three buttons at the same time, but nothing happens.)

I didn't want to do this though, if most characters use rapid cancel. But it sounds like it is only Ragna that uses it? And most people don't even bother with rapid cancel? Or is it a good way to use 50 heat?
    Rapid Cancel is a major mechanic of the game for all characters, not just Ragna, and yeah it can be a great use of heat. I wouldn't really recommend keying it to one button just in case you accidentally hit it when you don't mean to, it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Any part in particular that is giving you trouble?

Well, I was going to clear the input after the tutorial. I was more worried about 'cheating' and not learning the motions for a rapid cancel if I needed to use it later on. (Which it sounds like I do.)

And it might just be my arcade stick, but when I hit all three buttons, I just keep grabbing. So it seems like I'm probably only hitting two of the buttons and not three.

Or do rapid cancels only work if you are in the middle of a special attack? I tried standing and doing a rapid cancel, but I still had 50 heat. So far, I just can't get a rapid cancel going.
  • WolfCrimsonWolfCrimson Joined: Posts: 59
    Rapid Cancels can be only be done during almost any move, whether they are normals, specials or distortion drives. There are a few exceptions though. But you can't do it while standing doing nothing, because it's a cancel, i.e. It's used to cancel the animations of a move you are doing.
    Thanks Wolf, that's what I thought. I did try it during a special though but I think I wasn't fast enough to actually cancel into it.

I'm going to play the intermediate tutorial again today and post up the move list that I'm having trouble with.
    Another thing that's important to remember about Rapid Cancels is that you can only rapid cancel a move that make contact (i.e. a move that hits or is blocked); If you whiff a move entirely, you can't rapid cancel it. So you can't just like, stand across the screen and try to rapid cancel your moves.
  • AnneIFrankAnneIFrank Joined: Posts: 428
    Decided SFxT is too poorly balanced, so I grabbed BB and fell in love.

My question is how is this game generally played at a higher level? My execution is good so I hit up dustloop and grabbed combos and all that, but that means jack shit since I have to actually play the game on top of that. I was told that this game comes down to tons of oki and the such and was just wondering if that's true.
    Decided SFxT is too poorly balanced, so I grabbed BB and fell in love.

My question is how is this game generally played at a higher level? My execution is good so I hit up dustloop and grabbed combos and all that, but that means jack shit since I have to actually play the game on top of that. I was told that this game comes down to tons of oki and the such and was just wondering if that's true.
    Prepare to block. A lot. In gg/bb its best to just take the oki instead of trying to beat out your opponent's buttons every time. Of course there's some differences depending on which character you are playing. Who do you use?
    Prepare to block. A lot. In gg/bb its best to just take the oki instead of trying to beat out your opponent's buttons every time. Of course there's some differences depending on which character you are playing. Who do you use?

I always tend to play waifus hence I have a huge crush on Noel -_-

I was a 3000 pp ish Sakura in SF4 series (before I quit and lost it all) so that's my biggest background to go off of. I've played pretty much every capcom game at a decent level and started KOF when it dropped so know that pretty well. I dabbled in CS1 but was too busy with SF until this point.

So is pressing buttons bad in general for wake up?
  • Elric of GransElric of Grans Joined: Posts: 93
    Really noobie question here. I just started tackling Calamity Trigger Reconstruction (BBCSEX) and got up to the battle against Unlimited Rachel. I completed story mode in the original BBCT, and I cannot remember a battle as stupid as this. Every battle up to this has been pretty well a sleeper, but now I can barely scratch Rachel. How the heck do you actually deal with her? I get the odd lucky counter-hit, but I usually get blown up when I try to close the gap.
    I always tend to play waifus hence I have a huge crush on Noel -_-

I was a 3000 pp ish Sakura in SF4 series (before I quit and lost it all) so that's my biggest background to go off of. I've played pretty much every capcom game at a decent level and started KOF when it dropped so know that pretty well. I dabbled in CS1 but was too busy with SF until this point.

So is pressing buttons bad in general for wake up?
    I'm not a Noel expert but her 4D is a pretty good wake up tool. Most people know how to bait it, though, so you will have to resort to blocking most of the time. Head on on over to Dustloop for more info on Noel and BlazBlue and general. You won't find very much information on SRK.
    To answer the broader question a little bit:

At high levels the game is very momentum based; There is SOME Oki, but how good it is varies widely from character to character - Litchi has very strong oki, as does Rachel, and a few other cast members have good oki, while for the rest it's generally just 'okay'. Unsurprisingly, while it's "generally" not a good idea to do things like roll/quick getup/reversal on wakeup, the best players will be able to do all those things when the situation calls for it.

BB has a stronger emphasis on movement and mixup than SF4, and a lesser emphasis on straight up footsies - not because SF4-style footsies tactics don't WORK (if you can space so an opponent whiffs a normal, you have excellent chances of a good punish) but because there are significantly more movement options (double jumps, dashes/dash brakes, airdashes) that offer you other options, and because mixup is overall just more effective - in BB, almost everyone can combo off their throws and their overheads, while in SF4 both of those options result in comparatively small rewards.

What this means is that, amoung other things:

Anti-airs are even more important than SF style games, because you need to be able to anti-air appropriately to the situation and not get baited by a double-jump, for example.
    Blocking, and defense in general, is even more important, because you can take a LOT of damage if you consistantly eat overheads, and many characters are capable of seemingly endless pressure strings, and it's crucial to be able to find a time to jab/reversal/backdash/jump out and set things back to a more neutral situation.

Overall, BB is a markedly more complicated game than SF4, and each matchup/character takes longer to learn.
    Another question: I tend to end up using a lot of my meter on rapid cancels. When I get a good opening I'll typically do the distrotion combos, but with Noel I feel like it's only worth doing in the corner. I'm getting a ton of damage of confirming and then rapid cancelling though.

Where should I be using all my meter?
    That's up to you to decide - if you can get more damage from a rapid cancel than you can from a distortion finisher, by all means, go for it. Similarly, if you need a counter assault, don't be shy about tapping the meter for that. All of these options have good applications - I don't know Noel well enough to know where rapid cancels figure into her game, but Fenrir is a pretty decent wakeup reversal (it's her only option that works against all options - 2D and 4D both have invulnerability to some attack attributes, but there are attacks in the game that will beat them both, and plenty of attacks that will beat one or the other) and sometimes a counter-assault is just what you need to get out of pressure.

Don't even be shy about using your Astral Heat if it's available - Noel can combo into hers from a bunch of stuff, and if your opponent is holding a burst late in the last round, you can use an Astral to kill him without even getting a chance to use it if you meet the requirements.

There are no bad uses for heat, but there are times when a given usage of heat isn't a good one. It's a good player who knows when to spend it and when to hold it.
    So no black and white on meter. Thank God, in Capcom games it really is just always 1 or 2 dominate options.
    Super situational on the meter usage. Remember that the absolute lowest a Distortion can get scaled is 20%, if you're in the middle of a long combo and your opponent is low on health and without a burst to use, DD is a great option to finish. In the middle of a match when you need to make the most of your pokes and gain momentum, RCs can be incredibly effective as you can do all kinds of shit you can't without them, and earn some meter back on the combo that follows up the RC.

There's a lot of little things to keep in mind with BB compared to Capcom games. Hitstun, and more importantly the deterioration of hitstun, is way different. Depending on what move you start your combo with, your actual combo options are vastly different. A jab starter will lead to greater hitstun proration on the ensuing combo than a heavy starter. A Fatal Counter(every character has one move that when used to score a counter hit will count as a Fatal Counter) adds 2 extra frames of hitstun/air-untechable time to every hit of the following combo. Landing a hit on a crouching opponent also does this. You don't just need to learn combos for your character, you need to learn different combos for different initial hits.

And for AAs, most characters have a reasonable AA that they can jump cancel into an air combo, so not only should you be looking to AA, but also be prepared to follow your AA immediately with a super jump cancel into a string.

Overall engine details can be found here: http://dustloop.com/guides/bbcs2/systemGuide/systemGuide.html

How much a distortion can get scale down is determined on a per-distortion basis - it's a good idea to understand how much damage your distortions do at minimum, so that you can make educated guesses as to when it's worth throwing one onto the end of a combo. Noel's Fenrir still does nearly 1k damage at max scaling, so it can finish things when your opponent might otherwise squeak out with a bit of health at the end of a combo. Also, note that Distortions (and Astral Heats) disable bursts for the duration.