Tournament Promoters and venues to avoid!

Comments

• BisonopolisBisonopolis It was Tuesday! Joined: Posts: 1,239
    I added them to the venues list.
    THIS IS SHADALOO. WE SELL DRUGS! - IFC Yipes
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
  • ericeric Joined: Posts: 4,308
    Damn 8g's that's crazy.

Listen up people stop giving assholes are business please.

9 times out of 10 you can tell when a person is going to f$ck you over.:(
    www.bigegaming.com HOME OF NEC XIIII December 7th and 8th 2013, WINTER BRAWL VIII Feb, 2014 and GVN SUMMER JAM VII August 2013 and Bar Battle and Clash at the Copa The Fall Classic
  • networkingyuppynetworkingyuppy RandoMadness. Joined: Posts: 2,327 mod
    Racist folks in Wyndham. They're so full of shit.
    Christian Coalition? Is that another way to cover up the Triple K's?
    Team Spooky | Battle Circuits | Next Level
    GamePAD Inc. | CTF | Support a local game store today!
    Timtiktok. Mole Man City, even the Turtles can't even find you. Fen.
    facebook.com/networkingyuppy
    Twitter: @networkingyuppy
  • PonderPonder SRK Tournament Director Joined: Posts: 404 admin
    I've just heard that at least Ricky Ortiz has not yet been paid by ACTive Gamers, even though they said "Tuesday at the latest" was the date. Does anyone have any additional information?
    Tony Cannon
    Shoryuken.com Tournament Director, GGPO.net guy, and Honorary Lew
    Edited. added ACTive until further notice
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
  • ericeric Joined: Posts: 4,308
    I've just heard that at least Ricky Ortiz has not yet been paid by ACTive Gamers, even though they said "Tuesday at the latest" was the date. Does anyone have any additional information?

Wow are you serious.
    www.bigegaming.com HOME OF NEC XIIII December 7th and 8th 2013, WINTER BRAWL VIII Feb, 2014 and GVN SUMMER JAM VII August 2013 and Bar Battle and Clash at the Copa The Fall Classic
  • moadibmoadib GAMME June 2011 Joined: Posts: 438
    And for the record LRGC did make the mistake of using Pot money to pay for one of his bills...We fronted him for it (when we found out what he did - after I calmed down, because I was very upset), he is young and made an honest mistake, came to me right away, and he covered us right after the show.

So there are those that can screw up, but make good on things, they just have to learn, we were all there at one point, learning from our mistakes - i have high hopes for LRGC in the years to come as I do for the community that's building there, although we noticed that the Smash Community there is starving for leadership.

I heard about the whole ACTivegamerS scenario, sucks if Ricky has not gotten his pot yet.

Organizers need to learn that Pot Money is NEVER...

I repeat and will post it in a second line

***NEVER IS POT MONEY - OPERATIONAL CAPITAL***

I can understand some events may have it listed where tourney winnings are sent or paid out at a certain point after the con, and that is of course a precaution in case sponsors bail at the last minute, or attendance numbers fall shorter then expected especially if there are bonus pots involved.

My humble opinion on this is always going to be the same and will never change -

Pot money is never touched and goes right back into the hands of the winners, using it, even in an established event, is asking for trouble.

Posting Pots without the money sitting in the bank somewhere is also a bad idea. some events (i make no assumption as to which) will post a bonus pot value based on being established - because they can afford that number from previous years or because they expect a certain number of attendance to cover it.

Other's will potentially do it based on a sponsor or ad dollars group coming in, but do not have the money in hand or in an escrow account securing that money separately for payouts.

Hopefully organizers that are up and coming or that have been considering doing any type of tournament will read this and learn from others mistakes - do not touch pot money.

also, if an organizer intends to do pre-registered tournaments, there are costs associated with collecting money online, expect to pay $1 per entry yourself back into the pots or list it as a house fee and explain why so the players don't go high level sodium on you as to why the pot is not what they expect.

Its all about planning and doing things the right way, listening to the community and making sure everything is on par with what they want.

funny thing, I suck - I have a login from 2002 for SRK but I cant access it, so I have to sit on Moadib as a 2009 lol...damn it - so some folks may assume i've only just started lol.

been doing this for over 10 years lol. I am always open for discussion if someone has questions about tiered financial planning, event programming, Brand consistency, Asset Delivery, Content Development, and Implementation from Event to Tournament Administration.

It's what we do on a daily basis with every event. I hope folks read this thread and don't look at it as a "Morton's moment" but rather the pitfalls of organizer mistakes and learn from those that came before them.

Damn I type a lot.
    Manny Camacho
    President, Gamers Paradise, Xtreme Gaming
    facebook.com/gammexpo
    www.gpxgaming.net
    *Sabin* Yo, Manny...no more putting blast on blast!
  • LuLu SmacKsLuLu SmacKs Sleepy Time Joined: Posts: 413
    Regardless of what happens with Active Gamers, HAX should definitely be added to the Venues to avoid list. They decided to try to charge $10 parking on the day of the event and an additional $8 at the door. Not to mention they took away previously reserved space and used it for basketball games and cheer leading practice.
    I like specials.
    Added
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
  • networkingyuppynetworkingyuppy RandoMadness. Joined: Posts: 2,327 mod
    Was there any live stream from the Head Honcho at ACTivegamers?
    Team Spooky | Battle Circuits | Next Level
    GamePAD Inc. | CTF | Support a local game store today!
    Timtiktok. Mole Man City, even the Turtles can't even find you. Fen.
    facebook.com/networkingyuppy
    Twitter: @networkingyuppy
    I looked for info about it today but didnt see any. So I dont think he did a stream yet
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
  • scottindscottind Joined: Posts: 1,518
    Was there any live stream from the Head Honcho at ACTivegamers?

i heard it was cancelled last minute. and regarding the ActiveGamers tournament, did ricky receive his payout yet? I know for a fact that miyuki, who won the girls tournament, did not receive her prize yet either.
  • MAGUS1234MAGUS1234 drunk at keystone II Joined: Posts: 3,898
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=213551

maybe if someone wants to skim this.
    I came to Keystone II and all I got was DP'd.
  • shiryu22shiryu22 Romeo Joined: Posts: 2,820
    GJ Andry :tup:

I have called the venue's (MGL) manager, who directly dealt with the tournament organizer (Michael Anis aka BLANKA707) and spoke with him about the fee for renting the room. There was no fee - Michael claimed that there was from the very beginning AND after the tournament, and money from the players was allotted for this purpose. Later, I found out that Michael decided to "pay" MGL $50.00 after the fact because it was such a "successful tournament," and was going to get a receipt on Tuesday of next week. He did not pay for that room. I believe he wanted to pocket that $50.00 but only decided to give that money to MGL in order to avoid suspicion of mishandling monies. Who needs a receipt for a donation, honestly?

There's still confusion over what money went where, and how much. And this isn't the first time.

Please refer to my phone calls placed to MGL and the thread for any relevant information.
    http://sites.google.com/site/kiriyamakazuox/home/blanka.mp3?attredirects=0&d=1
    http://sites.google.com/site/kiriyamakazuox/home/blanka2.mp3?attredirects=0&d=1
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=213551
    Sorry guys. I'm going to review this information tonight when I get the chance. I've been very busy with things the last few days so i haven't gotten a chance to read any of the info you guys are providing me with.
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
    Blanka 707 has been added. Sorry for not getting to this sooner. I've been very busy the last few days.
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
  • ApostleApostle Joined: Posts: 18
    thx this thread is helpful, ill be keepina look out for guys like this
    http://vgbootcamp.com/ learn! play! win!
    Edited first post with another organizer.
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
    Edited first post, added location to Noobie games
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
  • Demon JimDemon Jim I'm Cereal Joined: Posts: 4,158 mod
    One of the people who is on the promoter list made a new thread for a tournament coming up.
    http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=221533

I run the Southwest Tournament/Events Schedule and Organizer Discussion Thread in of course the southwest part. Until he gets removed from this list of tournament promoters to avoid I will not be adding that tournament to that list. CO is considered part of southwest so I will be keeping a look out for our players.

-DJ-
    Just like that.
    "...but when he gets there, at the end of the day, it's just corn flakes." - Christopher Walken
    Battle at the Border Tournament Director
    Thank you for letting me know about that. I'll put a link up in his thread to this page so people are aware.
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
  • FallingEdgeFallingEdge Unblockable elbow Joined: Posts: 3,301
    Thank you for this thread. I know that it is hard work keeping all of this in order and appreciate your hard work.

We have to deal with DFG's crap in Colorado consistently and while the old school members know about this, the new ones don't so it is nice to give them a heads up before hand as I don't want to see anyone getting ripped off.

Thanks again!
    Microphone checka, swingin' sword lecture
    Closin' down the sector, supreme neck protector

Extra Fresh League - Colorado fighting game scene
    http://www.extrafresh.net/forum/
    http://twitter.com/fallingedge
  • DancingFighterGDancingFighterG CEO of C3 Joined: Posts: 250
    Yo, this is DancingFighterG. So one quick question Bisonopolis. So if a person lies about an organization event(s) despite other communities obviously supporting there events, turnouts, etc then what is the criteria for putting someone on a "list" despite not having evidence to support a claim? So I can could easily say and bring everyone that I know on this board and say this person or group did something shady so there events won't be posted. Is there a judging criteria for a person doing consistent shady things to lead to the "list" or is it simply because a couple of people that are loud enough to make people make a decision and put them on a "list". Just curious as I have been doing events for over 8 years and a couple of people shout some lie and now we are here. Just trying to understand the logic.

Andy, if you have to put up with my crap I've have to put up with you crap too. I try to allow new players to avoid such things but it seems like you want to expose players too it. So please start another rant as you always do right now or simply be quite and let Bisonopolis answer the question.
  • VestaxVestax Blends No. 27 Joined: Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭
    Gotta respect the wanting of redemption. Sooner or later we have to post guidelines on how to get yourself out of the dog house. Change names? Disappear? If Michael Vicks can do it, anybody can!
    Join the SRK Guild and play Dungeon Fighter Online! http://dnf.neople.com//
    Be a man. Play Super Turbo.
    Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Vextax, see to me unlike all those other people on this list if someone puts me out on blast they better have the evidence to back it up instead of yelling and screaming then all of a sudden moderators, admins, etc cave in. Redemption is the last thing on my mind because there is nothing to redem about. At the end of the day it's all about bettering the community, education and training for leadership. If you know you didn't do anything wrong then I'm going to say something. It may not change anything but I'm not going to simply just say there right and be do with it. If anything I encourage people to read the post and hear the lies and crazy accuations so people can see how people really are. I've learned that the ones that are the loudest is typically the ones that have some type of grudge against a person or simply a hater. Either way I will continue to host events and make them bigger and better despite the list but I would hate for somone or a group of people to be able to just say "This person did some shady stuff, put them on a list and tell people not to go to there events" because that could inevitable hurt a community which in some ways it has hurt the CO scene.

Lastly, if you do something wrong and don't speak for you actions then yes I can see maybe a list could be in order but right now we have situation where we have haters that have been around for a long time or those who simply want to try to make an example of someone put doing a poor job of doing it.
  • FallingEdgeFallingEdge Unblockable elbow Joined: Posts: 3,301
    Why you yelling at me for? I wasn't the one who put your name in this thread. Josh-TheFunkDOC posted his thoughts about the SuperCon right after it happened in addition to the 8 way run aftermath thread. Other people agreed and your name was put on the list. I support their decision but I had nothing to do with having you on here.

That was made back in August. This wasn't something new. You could have made your case when this was posted back then instead of now.
    Microphone checka, swingin' sword lecture
    Closin' down the sector, supreme neck protector

Extra Fresh League - Colorado fighting game scene
    http://www.extrafresh.net/forum/
    http://twitter.com/fallingedge
    The criteria for being removed from the list is pretty simple. If you look back a page or so you'll see that there was an event that Watson and a few others had gone to that had some payment issues and things seemed to be very shady. I added them to the list and I kept watch over the happenings following that event. The people who ran that event did the best they could to make things right and explained that it was their first event and they were not 100% sure on how things work in our scene. They spoke to Watson and, as far as I know, made things right. I spoke to Watson about it and we pretty much decided that this was a mistake and not a deliberate attempt at worming money out of the people in our scene. I respectfully removed them from the list and if they decide to host another event I will keep an eye on their event and ask people who attend if there were any shady happenings there. If not then Ill just keep an eye on them and thats that.

The reason that DFG is on this list isn't because a few people cried foul without any evidence. But because a large number of people said that they had serious issues with some things that were happening at your events and they felt that, for the good of the scene, that your name should be added to the list. But I didn't allow them to just hop on here and say "DFG is a thief" and not provide any kind of information of proof as to why they say that. I required some kind of evidence to back up their claims and they supplied me with ample evidence to warrant your inclusion in this list. You can see just what evidence I'm talking about as I provided a link beside each promoter or venue's name. Being included in this list doesnt mean you cannot run events. Its just a precautionary measure to ensure that nobody should fall victim to any kind of shadyness from promoters who don't have the best interests of the fighting game scene in mind. I dont take the word of one person as proof or evidence. But I do as much research into said shady events as I can and if it seems, to me, that there is ample reason to add their name to the list then I add them. If you run legit events word will get around that you do and people will still attend what you run despite rumors. But if there is certain level of legitimacy to the claims then people wont come.

I do this as a service to our scene. I take no sides in these arguments and I have no opinions on these events outside of wanting to take care of newcomers and veterans alike.
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
  • SweetJohnnyCageSweetJohnnyCage East Coast Throwdown Joined: Posts: 1,136
    Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Vextax, see to me unlike all those other people on this list if someone puts me out on blast they better have the evidence to back it up instead of yelling and screaming then all of a sudden moderators, admins, etc cave in. Redemption is the last thing on my mind because there is nothing to redem about. At the end of the day it's all about bettering the community, education and training for leadership. If you know you didn't do anything wrong then I'm going to say something. It may not change anything but I'm not going to simply just say there right and be do with it. If anything I encourage people to read the post and hear the lies and crazy accuations so people can see how people really are. I've learned that the ones that are the loudest is typically the ones that have some type of grudge against a person or simply a hater. Either way I will continue to host events and make them bigger and better despite the list but I would hate for somone or a group of people to be able to just say "This person did some shady stuff, put them on a list and tell people not to go to there events" because that could inevitable hurt a community which in some ways it has hurt the CO scene.

Lastly, if you do something wrong and don't speak for you actions then yes I can see maybe a list could be in order but right now we have situation where we have haters that have been around for a long time or those who simply want to try to make an example of someone put doing a poor job of doing it.

Yo, this is SweetJohnnyCage. Have you ever heard of a period? Your name was added to the list because of evidence stacked against you. Simple as that. Of course you could turn around and run a great event, and the people who did attend it will post in the results thread that it was a great event. Maybe then your name will be removed from the list. I didn't see any sort of foul play in the evidence brought against you. Did anyone else?
    www.ecthrowdown.com
    www.tfctournament.com
    One of the factors DFG that I noticed was a huge deal in your event, which makes people believe your only pulling money from the community is that you created a Seed scenario from previous events but than had random people still be able to sign up. That was one issue. The other which stood out the most specifically was that you allowed people who lost and were out of the tournament to pay and get back in which affected the bracket system.

So people who lost multiple times were simply able to pay a fee and continue to get back in. I believe these 2 issues created a huge problem in your understanding of how tournaments are run and therefore created a lack of faith in your ability to be objective as a tournament organizer.

I would say you need to run the course of your next event(s) and allow the community to decide at that time if your events have grown, operationally and functionally. that the prize payout system your using is not flawed, that if your holding qualifiers your not allowing buy ins which created questions in your direction.

I wish you luck

your going to need it.
    Manny Camacho
    facebook.com/gammexpo
    www.gpxgaming.net
    So I was speaking with Brad about this subject at Battlefield this weekend, and because we do so many events and contract 40+ groups a year to setup all their gaming we tend to see a lot of the issues in the industry with all the groups out there that are trying to start up or the ones that have been in the game for a long time.

I have seen quite a lot of this over the years, little guys getting big and random people trying to get into the scene and hurting the other little guys trying to do something good for all of us. with that all said this is what I spoke to Brad about.

We had recently worked with an event group that is relatively new, they made a real heavy rookie mistake by listing guaranteed amounts for payouts but never had that money in the bank somewhere, it was all based on attendance - which is fine, but there was nothing to indicate "Attendance requirement" for the payouts.

Naturally, the event occurred and during this time myself and the other gentlemen working on SRK/Zaibatsu community events felt it prudent to collect and handle the money ourselves from the players as I also did for the few shooters groups there and we paid those out immediately when those tourneys ended.

SRK/Zaibatsu community tourneys were smooth, well attended and everyone had fun - that was not the problem.

The main focus of this event was the Smash community - perhaps this is not the venue to point these issues out - but if you bare with me you may see the same issue I see and then I will rest my case and let you guys what is prudent in this situation.

At the conclusion of the Smash tourneys which were running singles for Melee and Brawl as well as teams for Melee and Brawl none of the payouts were available...The organizer came to me and told me he had no money...

I pulled him aside and made him count out all the funds he received from the entrants and the door. my understanding was a simple one...why would you not have enough money if the entries are all here. he then showed me his guaranteed payouts for each placing which started at $1250 for 1st in each catergory, the amount of entries were no where near these numbers - so he paid out half the entries to the players and less then 1/3 to those in 4th and tied in 5th place...

I at this point was furious and had him count every cent he received through the event. This is Saturday...

his intention at the time was to just pay half and leave it at that. some of the players were in the room at this time while I slowly but calmly pounded the notion at him until he understood he has to fix this problem. He decided that Sunday, since it was full brawl day, more players will come and that will solve the money issue, the numbers did not add up unless he was receiving more then an additional 200 players on sunday, he only got 89 - many of which had been there all weekend long so no extra door fees.

I got him in the end to consider paying in pieces the remaining amounts to the players before his next event. he begrudgingly agreed and I got the players which included some of the best that had come to support this show to agree that he will be paying them, and I guaranteed he would and gave out my number so that if they had trouble with him they could call me and I would help get in contact with him to light a fire under him.

I saw a lot of these players recently @ Pound 4 and asked the question, have you been contacted, has anything been paid? Nothing...

I kept trying to reach the organizer he of course has stopped communicating.

When I finally got him on the line he wanted to argue with me about what we brought to his event and how he does not want to pay GPX...I had a contract with this event because they are a for profit organization - it makes sense for me to charge him appropriately for those services, after arguing with him over the phone as to why his shooter side failed (because he didnt promote) he agreed that we brought him more then was promised and never charged him for it - because I wanted him to be successful and I hate the question "do you have this game" and we answer "sorry no" I prefer to have it and make someone happy then not be prepared, even if the event only ordered 8 copies of MW2. We had one screwup on our end which was all our copies of Halo 3 were at another event so I asked if I needed to buy more since his staff told me they had over 15 copies there (we provided 8 setups). when it came time to put the games on, those 15 copies were gone, I asked again should I go buy you some copies - mind you there was no one there for this game...Str8 Rippin (top rated halo team) came through and one of their players came to me and asked me where are all the players - I stated to him no clue bud, we just setup for the show it wasnt our event. he told me he was headed to our lan center back in miami for the competition we were having the next day, we pounded it out and they left - 1 team showed up...

Friday night when they were to lock up the space, the organizer and some of his staff remained in the event space and played games through the night, in the morning our network hub was damaged (the ports were torn out) and the cables had the clips on the caps pulled out...??? when I asked who was in the space when we closed he told me no one...my assistant had gone back to check if maybe they were still locking up because we needed another console from inside the room for our after party - this was roughly 1am - they were all in there on our shooter setup playing games...so he lied to me about this. then wanted to tell me how it was all my responsibility and he was not liable for damages to my equipment...he should of read my contract.

despite these issues - the organizer wanted to try and get out of paying us our contract.

We told him not to pay us...it was chump change - to use that money to pay the players he had not paid yet - @ the event when this issue was all coming to light we forewent our fee for the next event in February to help him pay those prizes.

So what I understand now is that roughly $3000 in payouts is still not paid - us as a company had to forfeit our pay to help out those prize payouts, which have yet to be paid - confirmed by every player that was to be paid to me on the weekend of 1/16/10 (Pound 4).

Here is why I am posting here.

I have a theory that if he runs his next event which will not include GPX or our other associate to run fighters he will focus on the Smash community and attempt to run events for fighters and shooters. Because the smash community to a degree has a bad taste in its mouth he may not get the same support as he did, but because everything was smooth on the srk/zaibatsu side because of us, most will attend and if he needs to pull money to make things right on the smash side it will come from the srk/zaibatsu side.

wow that was a mouthful.

I have tried to keep some names out of this for now because my problem was knowing what I know about this group - I feel it is my responsibility to state something to help prevent what could happen as opposed to not say anything, the event occurs, money gets taken or burned and I could have said something. So now I share in the responsibility of this event cheating others out of their money.

Its tough being in my spot as an organizer because I dont want to put people on blast for nothing and I have made mistakes in my past that I have had to work hard to fix and make sure they dont happen again - but nothing like $3000 in the air for players that travel from all over the US to get screwed over. and then not communicate.

There was one player I spoke to that was very polite and forgiving with his prize payout because he knows the organizer and told me about his situation with work and that its hard for him to pay...

I told him I thought he was really nice, but all that is irrelevant, you might be nice enough to let it go, but your winnings are in the $150 mark what about the dude who is out $600 of his winnings...

Facts for now:

multiple players were paid a portion of their winnings some less then 1/3
    $3000 in winnings is not paid
    GPX forfeited its fee ($500+$184 remainder in travel) for use to pay prize payouts

I spoke with the hotel, the hotel would have worked out a payment plan with him to payout their facility, he could of used the money he had to pay prizes. he also had money he exclaimed to me was to pay back someone else he owed money to - not sure what portion of the door and prize money went to that, but he had it to pay out and did not.

So there you have it.

its in your hands now.
    Manny Camacho
    facebook.com/gammexpo
    www.gpxgaming.net
    I'm going to be making some changes to the way this is all put together soon.
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
    Also DFG posted the results of C3 on results thread http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=223426

I am guessing it might have gone well, might want to take a look at some of the players if any of them are in this community to see if they can give you details on the tourney, see if he allowed buy ins after losses, or if qualifiers were meaningless to buy ins like last time. but if he corrected his past issues, perhaps the criteria for getting people off this list needs to be added or a probationary period to give that organizer a chance to continue to show forward progress.
    Manny Camacho
    facebook.com/gammexpo
    www.gpxgaming.net
  • nothingxsnothingxs EVO2013 Tournament Organizer Joined: Posts: 1,688
  • GETBUZZINGETBUZZIN I Steal Avatars Joined: Posts: 210
    the blanka707 phone call was shady ass hell trying to cover his ass with paying gofland after the fact. what a fukin douchebag
    I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa
    In a few days Im going to have new rules and a new setup for the way this works.
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
  • JanJan Joined: Posts: 305 mod
    This is a letter I wrote to a tournament organizer, with the tournament edited out.

"I heard about the set-up last year, how you set up a guaranteed pot of $500 hundred and intentionally made it so that people believed that the $500 was a bonus pot and not a pot cap. Then you pocketed the extra cash....

Regardless if this is true or not, having people say this about you makes it hard for me to trust you. It lowers your credibility.

I'd went to another tournament the weekend before your last tournament and won it. There were about 5-10 less entrants but I still ended up making more money there than at your tournament, about $160-200 more. I also won a bonus prize as promised.

No disrespect, but I don't trust you. What I don't like is how it looks like everywhere I turn someone is ruining tournaments, mistreating entrants, or just straight up lying to them. These tournaments are for the community, not for the tournament organizers.

If you really intend to run a good tournament then I wish you the best of luck, but as of right now I have no intention of going to your tournament."

It sucks when tournament organizers forget who these events are thrown for...
  • PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 7,613 ✭✭✭✭
    "I heard about the set-up last year, how you set up a guaranteed pot of $500 hundred and intentionally made it so that people believed that the $500 was a bonus pot and not a pot cap. Then you pocketed the extra cash....

Regardless if this is true or not, having people say this about you makes it hard for me to trust you. It lowers your credibility.

I'd went to another tournament the weekend before your last tournament and won it. There were about 5-10 less entrants but I still ended up making more money there than at your tournament, about $160-200 more. I also won a bonus prize as promised.

No disrespect, but I don't trust you. What I don't like is how it looks like everywhere I turn someone is ruining tournaments, mistreating entrants, or just straight up lying to them. These tournaments are for the community, not for the tournament organizers.

If you really intend to run a good tournament then I wish you the best of luck, but as of right now I have no intention of going to your tournament."

It sucks when tournament organizers forget who these events are thrown for...
    Ah, no kidding.
    Some promoters or arcade owners are forgetting who the tournaments are hosted for (some of them just don't care, actually).

It sucks to see the issue is only getting worse (the list got a lot bigger from last time I saw the first post a few months ago).
    No more pony fanfics. I stream every day since I have no life. Watch it now, slut!

www.twitch.tv/gumms
    Afternoon SRK,

So Brad, we spoke about that Event recently. I just got off the phone with M2K (Mew2King) who is arguably one of the best in the world @ Brawl and top 3 at Melee. He was one of the winners that got hurt out of this event. He called me to talk about other topics but it came up, and I asked him if he got any of this sorted out.

None of it...

I think about the post and issue that happened with Peter (FlashMetroid) at that event where maybe the difference is a few bucks...and that was big cause against that organizer, this is thousands of dollars.

The Event I have no issue stating its name anymore. was Florida Gaming VSA. The Owner is named Todd Greene. I am not sure if the current VSA listing on the events pages are part of the same group - but I am almost certain they are.

This thread - http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=225736

...correction...mid type, I checked their post and followed to their Twitter account, it is the same people that ran Florida Gaming VSA, WinterFest.

So I am a little irritated by this. There are so many oppurtunities for people to run tourneys and do them well and not essentially steal from our communities. So I wanted to update everyone on this listing - that none of the owed money from the previous event had been paid.

I told Jason (M2K) to wait for me to post before he posted on the Smash Boards, I will let him know tonight.
    Manny Camacho
    facebook.com/gammexpo
    www.gpxgaming.net
    Thanks Manny. I'll look into it and add them to the list in a little bit and do some editing to the list's layout.
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
    snip, then..

"It sucks when tournament organizers forget who these events are thrown for..."

Amen, man.. I know exactly how you feel. !@#$, I know exactly how you feel. A local TO around where I live was complaining that we were "taking the fun away from him" after the tournament because we were explaining to him why we were unsatisfied with his tournament - he was uncooperative when it came to seeding players (eg, [players from the same region were facing each other in the first round when it easily could've been avoided) and didn't seem to remember that the players always come first in tournaments. Now he wants to start up another one and it's bugging the shit out of me. I tried to re-explain it to him, but he just doesn't get it :\
    I have added Florida's VSA gaming group to the list and made edits to how this page is going to be run. Read the new rules and let me know if there are any changes that need to be made.
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
  • True_TechTrue_Tech dragon the body Joined: Posts: 2,728 mod
    Colorado has long been anti dfg, nationals was the big thing that everyone saw, hes been like this for the longest and hasn't changed I for one vote he stay on the list forever.
    Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Oh True_tech, let's get one thing correct. The only people that are anti-DFG is your clique in the EFL. Numbers and participation don't lie. Our numbers at our events have grown and our events even more frequent. People can simply go to the Cutthroat site too see that (www.coloradocutthroat.com) and see our events. You can see participation in tournaments in our results section but that's just tip of the iceburg. The convention that we do out do those events with the exception of the SuperCon convention which is live now (www.supercon2k.com). So say what you want but at the end of day people like Cutthroat and NVGA events. Maybe I will see you at the anime convention next weekend in which we will be catering to over 2000 people in a 24 hour game room hosted by Colorado Cutthroat. True_tech, don't try to speak the competitive or casual gamers in Colorado because you barely know 1% of them. That's because you stay in your clique!!
  • Wonder_ChefWonder_Chef Chomp Chomp Hiss Joined: Posts: 1,648
    Not to troll, but I believe it's "clique".
    "Characters like Cammy and Sakura aren't that threatening after knockdown." - Wasted
    "In ST, you can zone for almost an entire minute without the other character ever approaching you." - m2Dave
  • J.DJ.D Fortune favors the prepared... Joined: Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this description can only belong to a shady SBO qualifier

"Though SBO spots will be determined from participants from this tournament, Texas Showdown/Showdown Championships is its own separate event and thus winning does NOT guarantee an SBO spot. Planet Zero SBO spots will be determined by a panel of judges separate from Showdown Championships. Qualifications for being awarded the SBO spots is based on multiple factors including, how well a player performs at Showdown, as well as how well a player conducts themselves during the event and leading up to SBO. A player's behavior is a justifiable reason for disqualification of them or their entire team. You will be held responsible for your words and actions both online and in person"
    Twitter: @SRKJD
    UMVC3: Spencer/Dante/Magneto
    XBL: TRUJD3S
    Not to troll, but I believe it's "clique".

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Thanks for fix Wonder_Chef!! :)
  • Sanji HimuraSanji Himura Joined: Posts: 582
    I think this description can only belong to a shady SBO qualifier

"Though SBO spots will be determined from participants from this tournament, Texas Showdown/Showdown Championships is its own separate event and thus winning does NOT guarantee an SBO spot. Planet Zero SBO spots will be determined by a panel of judges separate from Showdown Championships. Qualifications for being awarded the SBO spots is based on multiple factors including, how well a player performs at Showdown, as well as how well a player conducts themselves during the event and leading up to SBO. A player's behavior is a justifiable reason for disqualification of them or their entire team. You will be held responsible for your words and actions both online and in person"

You would think that SBO orgainizers would have learned the last time...
    Iron Man 2 - May 7th 2010
    Thor - May 6th 2011
    The First Avenger: Captain America - July 22nd 2011
    The Avengers - May 4th 2012
    SBO tends to give whichever groups they bestow the spots complete autonomy to do what they wish with those spots. I think that is one of the issues that adds to the problem.
    Manny Camacho
    facebook.com/gammexpo
    www.gpxgaming.net
  • fanatiqfanatiq Pad and Money Match Legend Joined: Posts: 765 ✭✭
    Airbrushking obviously deserves a mention here....anybody in texas will tell you that he lies and claims he can get ludicrous numbers to his events but falls short of the glory of good tournaments pretty often.
    People say I can't play well on pad. People tell me I can't get good in an area by myself.

Obama said it best "YES YOU CAN!"