[Newbie] Storm Thread - Q & A

Cable3858Cable3858 Joined: Posts: 54
Higher-Jin wrote:
This is a thread where newbies can come and ask questions and have them answered. Ask mainly beginner questions and be warned that any topics created that can fit in here will be merged into this thread.

If you need to know something really basic like "how do I do a hadouken, or cable grenade special move?" go here and find the name of the character you are looking for and you will find a move list: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/game/914427.html

Welcome to the MvC2 forums and enjoy your stay. If you encounter any problems AIM or PM me. Thank you for coming and thanks to the people who take time out of their day to post here to answer questions.

- Higher Jin, MvC2 Forum Moderator

WARNING: Most of the posts in the begining of the page are mainly for archive purposes. Please go to the end of the thread to answer more recent questions.

ive never tried playing with her...i know she is top tier but why?
isnt she similar to magneto but just not as good?
Reppin' Valdosta, GA
Chances are, you're gonna get shot.
«13456715

Comments

  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    storm is the best charachter in the game because of her monuverability (i know i spelled that wrong). whether she is in the air or on the ground she can out move everyone. even though mags is faster, he cant control space like her. sent can sontrol space really well too. and cable controls space well too but cable dedicates himself to hitting in one direction all the time. you could go into a thousand page article about the flaws and plus's for all the top tier charachters but im not going to.

    all in all, imo storm is the best because of priority, space control and monuverability. plus random lightning attacks and runaway beats everyone.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    why is storm good?
    Originally posted by Cable3858
    ive never tried playing with her...i know she is top tier but why?
    isnt she similar to magneto but just not as good?

    I like to ask similar question. Except i already did try playing with storm.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    why is storm good?
    Originally posted by Cable3858
    ive never tried playing with her...i know she is top tier but why?
    isnt she similar to magneto but just not as good?

    no she's not similar to mags...

    arite...

    mags -
    pros:
    incredible speed
    best rushdown in game
    most infinties
    best use of resets
    second fastest wave dash (wolverine/bonerine, i think is faster)
    good meter building (sj, hp....., adub, hp.....)
    priority (j.hp, s.hp.........)

    cons:
    crap chip damage
    no keepaway strategy (plays good runaway, with assist... no keepaway moves though)
    mashable hypergrav (no easy 100% combo like ahvb x 3)
    does't deal good chip damage
    fly sucks

    storm:
    pros:
    incredible speed
    doesn't need infinties to win
    good infinite rushdown
    LAxxLS... so much damage
    great priority with launchers
    decent resets
    great keepaway strategy
    great chip damage
    decent solo trap ability (typhoon, hailstorm)
    ( she can play rush, keepaway, chip, or trap)
    she can build a meter in a single super jump
    fall control

    cons:
    hailstorm doesn't do great chip
    gets really complex at times (she's hard to learn)
    fly sucks

    all in all, storm is almost a perfect character. mags has too many flaws to be similar.

    there's more that separate these two... but check it...

    my reason why storm is a goddess...

    - chip
    - rushdown
    - keepaway
    - great speed
    - damaging combos
    - doesn't NEED an assist
    - meter building

    i do think sent is better, but that's a different topic.
  • gbursinegbursine TeaPire! Joined: Posts: 1,727
    Re: why is storm good?
    Originally posted by hadoken king


    storm:

    cons:
    hailstorm doesn't do great chip


    I always thought hailstorm did decent chip... with or w/out the mash
    also, shes like the only damn character in the game w/ two fullscreen supers... and hs has instant recovery.
    play vampire :P

    Brawl info: New Jersey - 0430-8044-3987
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Hailstorm chip is pretty random. I've done hailstorm sometimes and have it do NO CHIP AT ALL (and quite often at times when I need it) and some other times it just does horrendous amounts. I think you have to mash and use the joystick to direct the hail to a certain part of the screen to get more damage/chip.

    Exception is Blackheart who seems to take a lot of chip from hail no matter what. Fucking BH.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Originally posted by Dasrik
    Hailstorm chip is pretty random. I've done hailstorm sometimes and have it do NO CHIP AT ALL (and quite often at times when I need it) and some other times it just does horrendous amounts. I think you have to mash and use the joystick to direct the hail to a certain part of the screen to get more damage/chip.

    Exception is Blackheart who seems to take a lot of chip from hail no matter what. Fucking BH.

    sent/mags do too. they take it, cuz sent is big, and mags sucks with chip damage.
  • MixupMixup .. Joined: Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Originally posted by hadoken king


    sent/mags do too. they take it, cuz sent is big, and mags sucks with chip damage.

    mag sucks with chip damage?

    do explain..
    Rip-Craig-Brian-Ian-Mark-Debbie-Michael
    ~EMS~"I was right in the middle of a fucking reptile zoo, and somebody was giving booze to these goddamn things."
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Originally posted by Mixup


    mag sucks with chip damage?

    do explain..

    when he gets hit wit chip, i noticed he takes more than most other characters, but his defense isn't low, like strider or akuma.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Storm, that diry slut:mad:

    If you dont know that storm is good, that's because everybody you play is a most likely a scrub. But anyways storm is a fucking beast. Too much priority first of all, even more than mag. Which i think is ridiculous. She can run away better than any other character, she can also rush down well, if not better than other characters(debateable).


    Her super covers THE WHOLE FUCKING SCREEN. Need i say more?

    i'm not even going to respond to that coment about mag taking more chip and storm not being able to chip.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Originally posted by Sentinaaall!
    Storm, that diry slut:mad:

    If you dont know that storm is good, that's because everybody you play is a most likely a scrub. But anyways storm is a fucking beast. Too much priority first of all, even more than mag. Which i think is ridiculous. She can run away better than any other character, she can also rush down well, if not better than other characters(debateable).


    Her super covers THE WHOLE FUCKING SCREEN. Need i say more?

    i'm not even going to respond to that coment about mag taking more chip and storm not being able to chip.

    i didn't say she can't chip.. she plays awesome chip. hailstorm doen'st chip well though. and mags does take more chip. not by much, but he does.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Originally posted by Sentinaaall!
    Storm, that diry slut:mad:

    If you dont know that storm is good, that's because everybody you play is a most likely a scrub. But anyways storm is a fucking beast. Too much priority first of all, even more than mag. Which i think is ridiculous. She can run away better than any other character, she can also rush down well, if not better than other characters(debateable).

    IMO i think mags is better as rushdown....well he certainly has more options then storm.....storm can stay at 2nd best for rushdown

    and as for best runaway i think dhalsim should take that award ;-P so storm can be 2nd best at runaway.

    damn...remember when we were kids and were saying 1st the worst, 2nd the best?
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Originally posted by IronThread


    IMO i think mags is better as rushdown....well he certainly has more options then storm.....storm can stay at 2nd best for rushdown

    and as for best runaway i think dhalsim should take that award ;-P so storm can be 2nd best at runaway.

    damn...remember when we were kids and were saying 1st the worst, 2nd the best?

    word...

    sim is a great runaway... he has a "runaway infinite" teleport airdash all day. throw a few fires and flames up in there, and u have a nuisance to fight. but storm has the floating thing, and airdash, LA, typhoons, and lightening balls. she's too awesome at keepaway/runaway
  • da_dragonda_dragon i suck at mahvel Joined: Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by hadoken king


    sent/mags do too. they take it, cuz sent is big, and mags sucks with chip damage.

    actually shit varies with sent 2....i seen sents with bout 1-2 pixels of life live through a blocked hail...marvel is just too fuckin random..end of story
    i'm old school
    i hate msp

    trollin' the 09'ers
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Originally posted by da_dragon


    actually shit varies with sent 2....i seen sents with bout 1-2 pixels of life live through a blocked hail...marvel is just too fuckin random..end of story

    tru
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    newbie help

    hey , i've never really played storm myself but i've watched some vidz and i know she's a top tier char

    can anyone go through the basic combos of storm with me and also explain what's the best strat to play her

    i don't really know the runaway startegy and stuff so it'd be rgeat if someone could explain that stuff to me

    thanx:D
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    the only combo you'll need to know with storm is:

    launch, magic xx LA (x2) xx LS

    after the LS there are PLENTY of supers that will connect well after it because they are high, and while storm is turning around (and they are falling) it's still the super screen so you can wait for them to fall a bit before the DHC.

    runaway is basically superjumping, holding up so you float, and repeatedly doing HPs to build lots of meter, LAx3 up and HP all the way down. lots of characters will have trouble getting you down. but if they have someone like BH of capcomm watch out. you can throw in some random vertical typhoons, but don't get predictable with those because it takes her a long time to get one out.

    otherwise, learn to RTSD, or you can play her the more newbie friendly way (and also IMO more boring way) is runaway build meter, ground typhoon xx hail for chip, repeat until outta meter...runaway some more

    hope that helps a bit
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    newbie help

    just to add to ironthread's typhoonxxhail, dont' cancel too fast. i was teaching a few kids storm a while ago, and they had probs doing that, because they did it too fast. it's not hgxxtemp, it's typhoonxxhail. relax. runaway storm is one of the easiest ways to win in this game. but do watch out for blackheart. u will get owned if u dont be careful there.

    also, utilize her rushdown capabilities. tri jump alot, and just know her rushdown is also an infinite. that's how good her rush is. c.lk, c.lk, is a good move too, IMO, since u can cancel that into LS, or typhoonxxhail, and make a decent combo out of it. it's not very likely that some1 will roll that.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    tri jump

    whats the best tri jump for storm? magnus's lk doesnt work well with storm since it hardly links efficiently to her launcher. also, storms hp trijump is kinda awkward for me because my airdash slide method doesnt work for it. thanks.
  • da_dragonda_dragon i suck at mahvel Joined: Posts: 1,352
    tri jump
    Originally posted by RACK
    whats the best tri jump for storm? magnus's lk doesnt work well with storm since it hardly links efficiently to her launcher. also, storms hp trijump is kinda awkward for me because my airdash slide method doesnt work for it. thanks.

    one of storm's best rushdown is her REGULAR JUMP air dash df lk rush. fastest in the game. just remember when u do it not to superjump cuz u'll have problems linking into her launcher..u can sj but regular jumping is way more effective...u should learn to use the sj hp airdash d/b hp cuz u build meter without actually running away..
    i'm old school
    i hate msp

    trollin' the 09'ers
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Storm help!!

    Can anyone tell me the best way to play with Storm on a team of Psylocke and Magneto, should i use her on point or what? I'm kinda new but not new, i know combose but dont know how i should use her to my best advantage!
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    storm confusion!

    plz no one like diss me or nuthin but is CapCom, Captain Commando? I keep on getting confused on that and how can you get past that?
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Hi there, TranceDeezy2004!!
  • DeathfistDeathfist Joined: Posts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    storm confusion!
    Originally posted by TranceDeezy2004
    plz no one like diss me or nuthin but

    1]is CapCom, Captain Commando? I keep on getting confused on that and

    2]how can you get past that?

    1]Yes

    2]Perhaps you don't know Capcom [the company's] mascot is Captain Commando?

    :confused:
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    -outwhatever your victim.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    magus-a
    storm-a
    psy-a
    in that order

    magus...

    -dash, c.lk. chp, sj, lp, lk, lp, lk, aduf, lp, lk, lp, lk, hypergrav, xxtemp (not used in advanced play, but i've seen it coming back lately...)
    -dash, c.lk, c.hp, sj, hk, addf, lk, lk, [land, sj, lk lk, addf, lk, lk]
    -dash, c.lk, c.hp, sj, hk, addf, lk, lk, [land, j.lp, lk, lp, lk]

    storm...
    -dash, clk. s.hk, sj, magic, LAx2xxLS
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    what does this have to do with storm? and i thought ryu or megaman was capcom's mascot
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Originally posted by hadoken king
    magus-a
    storm-a
    psy-a
    in that order

    magus...

    -dash, c.lk. chp, sj, lp, lk, lp, lk, aduf, lp, lk, lp, lk, hypergrav, xxtemp (not used in advanced play, but i've seen it coming back lately...)
    -dash, c.lk, c.hp, sj, hk, addf, lk, lk, [land, sj, lk lk, addf, lk, lk]
    -dash, c.lk, c.hp, sj, hk, addf, lk, lk, [land, j.lp, lk, lp, lk]

    storm...
    -dash, clk. s.hk, sj, magic, LAx2xxLS

    y dont u see the first combo in advanced play. i do it all the time but it gets difficult cuz ill do the ad/uf and then the lp wont come out afterwards.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    also when u ad/dfdo u do the lk lk as soon as u airdash or do u pause for second also becuz im having problems doing the superjumo back up becuz its so quick i guess!
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Originally posted by TranceDeezy2004


    y dont u see the first combo in advanced play. i do it all the time but it gets difficult cuz ill do the ad/uf and then the lp wont come out afterwards.

    mashable... but lately, it seems like since it hasn't been used in a while, people can't mash fast enough for it. i duno.. weird... so i've been seeing people use it again.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    help with mag, storm, sent (proj.)

    maybe this post belongs here, maybe it doesn't...

    can anyone help on some easy ways (with storm or mag at point)to combo crouching dashins which use sent assist once you get in? and things to do after the assist hits.

    much thanks ;)
  • Neo_SlasherNeo_Slasher nab Joined: Posts: 211
    Originally posted by hadoken king
    what does this have to do with storm? and i thought ryu or megaman was capcom's mascot

    yeah waz up with that?:lol: i belive rockman's da mascot and also
    i belive the olny way to evade capcom AAA is to dash forward to the opponent's point other side while he come's out then follow up with hp or hk if low enough to rush down patterns of your choice:evil:
    Non Stop RTSD
    MvC2= random teams
    BB= Jin ( trying to learn and main Litchi afterwards).
    HDR=Honda-Chun-Li then random.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    storm confusion!
    Originally posted by TranceDeezy2004
    plz no one like diss me or nuthin but is CapCom, Captain Commando? I keep on getting confused on that and how can you get past that?
    by either having an assist that counters capcom, sometimes with magneto you can snuff him out with shorts, and to avoid him you can do a quick tri jump AFTER he has been called, if they call him when your tri jumping he will lock on to your ass and blast you
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    with a sent assist.....

    arite..

    storm, cuz i don't play magus, but i'll try to get a lil insight on that one...

    - call sent, tri jump, hk, land, sent hits, dash, clk, clk, chp, sj, lp, LAxxLS
    - jump, addf, hk, dash, clk, clk, pause, hk throw, call sent, cross over with trijump, land, clk, clk, c.hp air combo, LAxxLS
    - tri jump hk, land, lp, lk, lp, hk, sj, magic, addf, hk throw, land, call sent, cross under, hk throw (should be thrown into drones), s.hk, sj, LAxxLS

    mags:
    -sent, clk, clk, c.hp, rom inf
    - in corner: call sent, hk throw away from corner, drones hit, sj, hk, throw back into corner
    - call assist, dash, c.lk, chp, sj, hk, addf, hkthrow down into drones.

    last two magus ones from maggs roxx0r
    last storm on from this kid jason
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Originally posted by TranceDeezy2004
    also when u ad/dfdo u do the lk lk as soon as u airdash or do u pause for second also becuz im having problems doing the superjumo back up becuz its so quick i guess!

    umm...

    rom inf i assume ur talking about...

    here's the timing...
    _ = pause
    > = right away

    clk, chp, sj, hk, addf, lk_lk, sj>lk>lk_addf>lk_lk, land
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Need help with a combo..

    I saw this combo with Storm on the EVO 2003 trailer someone did that started with launch,2 hks and linked it to a ground combo. If anyone knows how to do it, do tell. Thanx in advanced.
  • gbursinegbursine TeaPire! Joined: Posts: 1,727
    wtf... u just told us the combo.... why make a new thread. on one goddamn combo!?!


    launch, rk, ad/df rk, lk, lp, hp, rk
    or u can throw them instead of doing the s.rk
    play vampire :P

    Brawl info: New Jersey - 0430-8044-3987
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    in corner.

    s.hk sj.hk addf j.hk (land) s.lk s.hp (slight delay) s.hk

    .infamous.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Originally posted by gbursine
    wtf... u just told us the combo.... why make a new thread. on one goddamn combo!?!


    launch, rk, ad/df rk, lk, lp, hp, rk
    or u can throw them instead of doing the s.rk

    Thanx for the input,but I didnt tell you the combo. I didnt know the ground combo:)
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Is this possible?

    I'm kindof a noob to the forums but I'm learnin alot about the game lately. I play it on ps2. Anyways, my question is this, i play sonson and storm alot coupled with a 3rd char, whoever it may end up being. But what I've found is when I have a sonson dragon punch move xx big staff hyper and then I DHC into hail. When I'm mashing the hell out of the buttons for more damage I end up getting a lightning attack across the screen right at the end of the hail but it's always too fast to realize and follow up with the lightning storm. I never got the LS to work yet, but i get the lightning attack to hit almost 70% of the time against the computer, just been too fast to react to. Is this rollable or anything or would it actually work if I was anticipating it? I mean it would burn 3 bars of meter but I'd think it'd do some major damage.

    I know I shouldn't be wasting my time on low tier but I just play casually with friends so I switch up teams every match.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    yeah that DHC from sonson , to hail storm then la. i have never seen the la link after a hail storm . but if u say that u did it i believe it. but u cannot do a la xx lightning storm cause when u come down from the hail storm u are in normal jump mode and not allowed to xx to lightning storm.

    later,

    s
    l
    i
    d
    e
    r
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    That would explain it then. I must've worked for an hour and a half this past weekend before giving up :) I'm getting good at getting the LA to hit though, I can do it after psylocke butterflys once in a while too. My biggest problem is because I'm LA'ing due to mashing, I miss it only when I double LA on accident. Slows her down just enough to miss. If only there was something better to do after that hits.
«13456715
Sign In or Register to comment.